[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 850 KB, 800x446, 2015-10-20-5626cc3c15ef4.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3254807 No.3254807 [Reply] [Original]

What do you think of speedrunners? Honestly.

>> No.3254818

That speedrunning event has some pretty neat playthroughs that are very interesting and cool to watch.

But then there's stuff like RPGs that take over two hours to finish and that's where my interest fades.

Did the other speedrunning thread die?

>> No.3254820

pure unadulterated autism

>> No.3254826

I'd powder their balls.

>> No.3254831

why are all speedrunners ugly and out of shape

>> No.3254835

>>3254807
>What do you think of speedrunners? Honestly.
I'd really prefer that you be quiet

>> No.3254842

Great concept that got ruined by a bullshit charity that turned them into e-celeb faggots.

That being said, I do admire the skill and intimate knowledge they have of a game and some runners are cool even if their fans are insufferable dick-riding faggots.

>> No.3254861

I come for the bugs but I stay for the autism

>> No.3254863

>>3254807
complete indifference

>> No.3254865

>>3254820

>> No.3254872

>>3254807
I don't respect speedrunners who use glitches, even if those glitches are harder to pull off than playing the game regularly.

If you can do a run where you don't have to go outside the game's parameters and rules, cool.

If you can do that while doing a neat trick like blindfolded, awesome.

>> No.3254884

>>3254831
>Speedrunner
>not fit enough to actually run

>> No.3254892
File: 51 KB, 500x375, b2cbb81baf4e79e282b12e7f673a63e6.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3254807
They don't play the games with way the developers intended.

>> No.3254893

>>3254872
>go outside the game's parameters and rules
The game says it's fine.

>> No.3254896

>>3254842
>Great concept that got ruined by a bullshit charity that turned them into e-celeb faggots.
I'm kinda the opposite way. The only time I'll watch a speed run under normal circumstances is if it's a game I'm really familiar with or the speedrun is REALLY impressive (the first arbitrary execution pokemon yellow run, seeing Quake Done Quick for the first time, etc).

but if i'm not, most "speedruns" i would watch by finding random videos on youtube without commentary, or watching twitch streams of people attempting the same run over and over.

with GDQ i get:
1) commentary targeted toward a general audience, for people who don't speedrun the game, or maybe haven't even played it
2) a reasonably state-of-the-art (albeit marathon safe) version of what the run looks like
3) either a single run all the way through or a disasterous trainwreck failure of one, though this is pretty rare for GDQ afaik, short of that sperg that softlocked Crash last year

>> No.3254901

>>3254872
>I don't respect speedrunners who use glitches, even if those glitches are harder to pull off than playing the game regularly.
this is pretty arbitrary. without establishing "developer intent" how do you distinguish between a technical glitch, a design mistake or oversight, and an actual game mechanic?

(not to mention the games improved by glitches, like Quake 1 or melee)

>> No.3254915

I like to leave speedruns playing while doing something else. Last week while i was playing Tactics Ogre on the PSP, i put a Resident Evil 3 speedrun on youtube.

I kind of got hooked watching it. Going from the beginning to finishing the police dept in under 5 minutes was very entertaining.

>> No.3254936

>>3254807
It's pretty cool, but I'd much prefer a more theory-oriented version of TASVideos. Something like arXiv for video games and related formal methods. It would also sidestep all the drama about categories, definitions, competition, skills, and cheating.

>> No.3254957

>>3254893
And I say it isn't. Also games can't hold opinions.

>> No.3254958

>>3254901
>how do you distinguish between a technical glitch
Something that requires doing something that bypasses innate boundaries in the game, such as clipping through walls or the Mega Man pause glitch

>a design mistake or oversight
A boss being rendered completely helpless via a simple combo, like the second Seymour fight in FFX where you can Provoke him and cast reflect on the provoker. Everything works as intended but it completely breaks the encounter.

>and an actual game mechanic?
Instant death in Etrian Odyssey. Very, very few enemies are completely immune, and even bosses have only 99% resistance. It works, but it's certainly not reliable.

>> No.3254963

Speedrunning was interesting when it wasn't so serious and nitpicky, where every "world record" had to have a million asterixes behind it to specify whether it was a TAS, glitchless, any%, etc, and ends up being one of many other world records for the same game. And as for glitched/TA runs, I don't think they're particularly impressive, but they do provide interesting insight into the game mechanics.

I'm in no way familiar with speedrunning culture, but I'm sure it's more recent surge in popularity is as obnoxious as any other nerd fad.

>> No.3254968

I like speedrunners who have a decent amount of charisma and are able to explain what they're doing in their game while playing it at GDQ.

>> No.3254986

>100% run where the player plays through with an absurd level of skill and memorization

Good, fun to watch, interesting.

>any% run where glitches are used to complete the game in 2 minutes

Boring, who cares, all runs look the same from game to game.

>> No.3254995

The appeal is to watch a game be skillfully played.

However, speedrunning has mostly been ruined by monetary incentives, autism, and e-celeb faggotry.
>>3254842
basically what that anon said

>> No.3255025

>>3254957
>opinions
It's a fact that you can make the game do this stuff, that's not up for debate. You can't make the game do anything it wasn't programmed to do.

>> No.3255061

their ability to dedicate themselves to one game and really master the art of playing it is admirable, but it's not something I would do.

>> No.3255095

>>3255025
You sound like one of those faggots who think using the back door in Oblivion to skip to the end of the game is speedrunning.
>WOW YOU SPEEDRAN IN 3 MINUTES USING WHAT WAS LIKELY A DEV TESTING TOOL GEE GEE SUCH SKILL

>> No.3255102

I think it's really neat and I find it theraputic to spend an evening watching speedruns occasionally. It used to be that speedrunning was only really "a thing" in games like Quake and Doom, but now you can see them on like,collectathon platformers and stuff where the routes are much less linear, and it's impressive to see how quickly those games can be run to 100%.

The ones with commentaries can be real interesting, but I have to admit I rage a little when I hear a runner say something like "Hurr I never actually played this game properly, I just speedrun it lol". I mean what kind of goddamn autist just picks a game at random and thinks great, I'll learn to speedrun this game, without even ever attempting to beat it normally? Entire swathes of the game they never see, gameplay that they don't even know exists, because their sole interest is the rote learning exercise of how to run a speed route? How does that even work, unless you are just copying somebody else's route?

>> No.3255107

>>3254807
i like that black guy with the lisp who's really good at lost levels

otherwise most of them are so sperg their videos are just uncomfortable to watch

>> No.3255126

>>3255025
>It's a fact that you can make the game do this stuff

And you're missing the point spectacularly. Nobody here said glitches don't exist - what we're saying is that you're a little bitch for using them.

Only you glitchy-speedrun fags argue this way, seriously. It's cheating, shut up, don't say anything, it is. Using that exact same line of reasoning I can have you over for a game of Monopoly and take all the money from the bank because the game doesn't a have a rule that says I can't rob the bank. The game doesn't physically prevent me from taking that money so it's all cool, right?

>> No.3255129

>>3254807
They're fun to watch. Both Real Time Attacks on live streams as Tool Assisted Speedruns are fun to watch, both for slightly different reasons. I follow a ton of runners and it's fun to hang out at their twitch chat usually.

>> No.3255139

>>3255025
didn't some guy make flappy bird in super mario world just by doing certain specific moves

>> No.3255141

>>3255126
Tell me, do you guys seriously believe this or is this just unoriginal trolling? I've seen that whole "using glitches in a speedrun shouldn't be allowed, REEE" bickering several threads already. Don't like glitches but still want to watch speedruns? Fine, go watch speedruns in glitchless categories instead. It's not always either Any% or 100% you know.

>> No.3255182

>see this thread
>get craving to watch a doom speedrun
>every search result is now about the new doom
When will this shit end? What pseudo intellectual retard came up with the idea that removing numbers and naming new games/movies exactly like the originals somehow makes them better and fresh? FUCK

>> No.3255191

>>3255126
>it's cheating
>literally everyone who speedruns does this shit
>impossible to be competitive without
>you getting laughed the fuck out of the room for not taking advantage of the fastest strategies that everyone uses

>> No.3255224

>>3255182
Try searching Ultimate Doom and Doom II.

>> No.3255225

>>3254807
i think the whole idea of speedrunning is stupid

but people get joy out of it, so it'd be even more autistic to tell others to stop having fun

>> No.3255228

>>3254892
They also didn't intend for you to put that vibrating controller on your dick during explosion cutscenes, but you did it anyway

>> No.3255229

>>3254901
>Guys how do you know that when you jump halfway into the ceiling tile and the map turns into garbage pixels and you go to the end of the level in 5 seconds it's not an ACTUAL GAME MECHANIC?
>That's right, you don't.
>Tips fedora.

>> No.3255234

>>3255126
Oh my god you are a turbofaggot. Obviously stealing money out of the bank in Monopoly is totally different than exploiting glitches to speedrun a game. Monopoly is a head-to-head competitive game, nobody here would argue that you should exploit obviously broken stuff in, say, an online shooter.

I guess you think rocket jumping in Quake is immoral or something? Plus, these glitches are invariably MUCH harder to pull off than the so-called "intended" mechanics of the game -- ignoring for the moment that that distinction is totally artificial. Meaning that using them clearly isn't a "bitch" move. If anything is, it's your head-in-the-sand attitude.

>> No.3255251

I hate them, my honest opinion. They don't find joy in the game the way it's suppose to be played so they have to exploit it.

How people can watch them cheat a game is beyond me and the Runner and fans of them are so fucking annoying.

>> No.3255259

>>3255234
>>3255126

Also what this anon said is true. There are "glitchless categories" for like every game. The point about intended behavior being difficult to separate from legitimate glitches still stands, but there's what you want, just watch those videos/participate in that type of running. One weird trick to reduce autism TODAY!

>> No.3255260
File: 459 KB, 384x288, 1311190388805.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3255126
>playing your favorite video game
>"Wow I'm pretty good at this game!"
>"I'm probably one of the best players in the world! I can feel it! I know this game in and out!"
>google [game title] speedrun
>video completely demolishes any fraction of knowledge of the game you thought you had
>yfw
>"Glitches are cheating! Shut up! I can't hear you LALALA!!!"

>> No.3255267

>>3254807
>What do you think of speedrunners? Honestly.

I don't.

Honestly.

>> No.3255275

>>3254807
who cares

>> No.3255290

>>3255102

>I rage a little when I hear a runner say something like "Hurr I never actually played this game properly, I just speedrun it lol"

Holy shit this.

I could give a fuck about glitches or whatever but this definitely triggers me.

>> No.3255309

>people unironicaly complaining about glitches
Holy shit, you people are retarded. The glitches are the best part of speedruns.

>> No.3255329

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYNzhV8xL48

>> No.3255330

>>3255309
They are entertaining. I don't think anyone has said otherwise. They are cheating though, and the distinction between speedruns as they used to be and speedruns today is entirely based on that shift.

>> No.3255332
File: 12 KB, 203x200, tip.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3255330
>They are cheating though

>> No.3255338

>>3255330
Speedruns today all just about glitches. Look at the Mario 64 speedrun.

>> No.3255348

>>3255290
Why?

>> No.3255364

Cool cecept that got ruined by people, as with everything on the internet.

>> No.3255379

Back when it was all done through SDA in QDQ days, it was great. GDQ has fucking ruined any semblance of speedrunning a game on its own terms.

I was really disgusted with GDQ and their "no-cheat" policy when the Borderlands 2 run came up.

>Using unpatched French version because critical hitboxes are so large you can miss an opponent and score a headshot
>"We're gonna be using a glitch where all four of us can all own copies of the same gun at once."

AKA dupe and aim cheats.

>> No.3255385
File: 66 KB, 653x264, journal-of-speedruns.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3254936
>arXiv for video games
Sounds good.

>> No.3255392

>>3255379
The first part is a little silly, but whatever. So long as everyone in it is on the same version. Second makes total sense though. It would be pointless with people having different equipment, and in BL duping is the way to do that.

>> No.3255423

>>3255267
i think of speedrunning with your cock though

>> No.3255430

>>3255126
Video games have automatic rule enforcement, tabletop games do not. This means that in video games you can do it, it's "allowed". End users are not obligated to guess the intentions of game designers. In any competitive setting worth a damn, no player will get disqualified for "glitch" "abuse" unless it overcentralized the meta to the point that the technique in question was explicitly banned by the community, and at that point the game probably isn't worth playing competitively.

Robbing the bank is against the rules of monopoly and if that was a serious argument you are a retard.

You can actually play video games with manual rule enforcement if you like for extra challenge. These include things like nuzlocke Pokemon runs or so-called "glitchless" speedrun categories where the runner community agrees on a set of guesses of designer intention to manually enforce.

At the end of the day no ones gonna get purple hearts for beating hundreds of videogames the "right" way and you can't enforce proper appreciation of art so this is a pointless discussion.

>> No.3255459

>>3255102
>when I hear a runner say something like "Hurr I never actually played this game properly, I just speedrun it lol".

I don't believe that has ever happened

>> No.3255631

They're literally autistic but I don't have anything against them.

>> No.3255737

>>3255228
>implying they didn't

>> No.3255787

>>3254807
Some are cool. Some are absolute cringe. Most aren't noteworthy. SGDQ/AGDQ are nothing BUT cringe.

>> No.3256358

>>3255430
>Robbing the bank is against the rules of monopoly

You missed the point as well. The issue at hand is that because there is no rule specifically stating you can't rob the bank, it's allowed - under the same logic that because a video game doesn't stop you from sliding through walls or warping to places you shouldn't be able to get to, it's allowed.

The idea is that both arguments are equally retarded, though you only seemed to catch the first half.

>> No.3256365

>>3254807
The famous ones can be complete fucking assholes. They think because they are good at a game, this validates their existence on Earth. Some entitled neck beards in there.

Still, I love watching speedruns, provided the runner is silent.

>> No.3256368
File: 14 KB, 300x296, ok.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3255631
>people that are better than me at games are just autistic

>> No.3256437

>>3256368
They're better at one specific game because they literally dedicate hundreds if not thousands of hours repeating the same exact segments over and over again for all of those hours. That's quite literally a sign of autism, not necessarily severe autism but high functioning autism for sure.

>> No.3256460

>>3256437
Just like any activity that takes skill! Such as sport or learning a musical instrument! Now I understand skill = autism!

>> No.3256464

>>3256437
In fact this describes every skill based gayme.

>> No.3256508

>>3256464
Not to the same extent though. These things are on predetermined paths because all they're doing is optimizing it to save literally seconds sometimes.
>>3256460
Sorry I hurt your feelings but if you can't see the difference you're actually a fucking idiot.

>> No.3256606

I LIKE THAT JUMP

>> No.3256640

I don't mind it for the most part but for some things it's fucking retarded, categories and semantics mainly.

>Bloodborne speedruns
>Santzo refuses to do quit outs for doors because it's "slower RTA" but the runs are timed using in game time anyways.
>Has huge fucking bitchfit on stream about how he'll never do it.

>Dark Souls 3 speedruns become a thing
>Using quit outs every chance he gets

So there you go. A bunch of fucking hypocritical babies.

Theres always the IGT vs. RTA debate. If your goal is to get the fastest possible IGT, then it's completely possible to "cheese it" and use back up saves to get a really good time *basically a segmented run. But no one would allow it, because it's not RTA in one sitting, despite themselves timing it by in game time.

Then theres the whole "These stupid nips time it from console on until the credits end, so that's how we do it" and various other really fucking retarded ways to time.

Then theres the various categories like self imposing limitations like Any% No OOB. There should be 2 categories for any given game:
>1 any%
Fastest posisble clear, use everything in your arsenal
>2 100% or something like All Bosses/All Levels

Thats it. Yet some games have a million categories, and it's all arbitrary.

Speedrunning is like pure autism. Every runner is an incredibly large debbie downer.

>> No.3256649

>>3255102
That's the exact reason why I didn't like Cosmo.

>> No.3256656

>>3255290
>>3255348

Because when you go in and play fucking I dunno, some game that's notoriously hard, or is actually really fun and interesting, and you just learned how to beat it without doing anything fun and interesting and then you go in your stream "Lol this game is stupid and easy".

>> No.3256728

>>3254807
Depends on a lot of things.

-Usually I'll watch a game I have already played and finished.

- I don't give a shit about the e-celeb and whatever his face/name could be. If we don't see the guy it's better.

- Runs where the original music has been replaced by the runner's favorite band are shit. Audio commentaries are not needed either.

- No glitches. It completely ruins the thing.

- 100% runs

- Hope to see some neat tricks (not glitches) or masterful play. It doesn't have to be a perfect no damage play, but it's even better if the speedrunner achieves that.

>> No.3257031

Games with RNG take skill.

Games that are mostly static are for people who lack skill.

>> No.3257043

>>3257031
>RNG
Every time I hear a streamer say that I blacklist them.

It's never "shit I fucked up" it's "RNG fucked me"

Take responsibility.

>>3256728
>watch after I beat a game
Yeah I like to do this too, mainly to compare my casual time wtih an optimized time.

>> No.3257052

>>3257043
If you don't think some games have stupid RNG in them, you're a moron.

Phantoon can literally kill runs in Super Metroid depending on a dice roll.

>> No.3257259

Legitimately one of the dumbest fucking hobbies ever

>> No.3257261

>>3256368
>>3256460
Thank you for proving his point >>3256365

>> No.3257270

>>3257261
They weren't being assholes, you pussy bitch. Can't handle a little sarcasm without shitting yourself? Go change them diapers ya whiny cunt.

>> No.3257681

>>3255430
>>3256358
I think you're both missing the point. Speedrunning isn't ever about playing the game normally. It really has nothing at all to do with playing the game in the traditional way it was designed.

It's all about looking at how the game is designed and coded and then finding ways to exploit or glitch it to see how fast it's possible to make it through.

Comparing to playing normally is pointless and complaining that the people doing it aren't playing normally is unfathomably pointless.

>>3256656
That's a totally different scenario from someone saying they just speedrun things though. Why would you possibly give a shit if someone only wants to speedrun? I don't get how that affects you playing the game your way at all.

This is all coming from someone who doesn't have any interest in speedrunning at all. No desire to do it and even less to watch someone else do it. I think anyone triggered by others doing it has problems though.

>> No.3257684
File: 71 KB, 640x640, 11379963_1598374710436459_1696394511_n.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

They are fun to watch when I have nothing better to do.

I was just watching this Mischief Makers speedrun and the guy proposes to his gf at the end
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Cu3rBKoKmA

Cute girl tbqh, made me jelly.

>> No.3257686

It's decent fun to watch once in a while, but /v/'s e-celeb gossip has poisoned the well so thoroughly that I'd sooner drink from a pond in Chernobyl.
I would enjoy talking about AGDQ on /vr/ and stuff but it doesn't really belong here.

>> No.3257689

>>3255338
Watch glitchless ones then....

>> No.3257691

>>3254807
I think its great that they're passionate about something they love, are good at it, and can make money off of it.

>> No.3257696

As a meme connoisseur I think /srg/ is a great place to find hot, new and spicy memes.

mmmh-ah! now that's a spicy e-celeb meme!

>> No.3257715

>>3257270
>being Edgy McEdgemaster
You sound like a 13 year old trying to be badass lol

>> No.3257741

>>3257681
Don't bother with them, they're only here to troll you. Doesn't matter how stupid they actually sound, as long as they got your attention they will be happy.

Oh god, what have I done? Now they will call me "autistic" as well! How horrible!

>> No.3257895

>>3254807
I think it's cool how they can break games, and enjoy the any% clusterfucks. I don't really look beyond that though, I see here that a lot of autism and e-celeb faggotry goes down, but I've never noticed it.

>> No.3257901

>>3255139
Yeah, Sethbling has a video on it. Something about reprogramming the card using x-coordinates. Cool stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hB6eY73sLV0

>> No.3257905

>>3257901

>BUT FIRST

>> No.3257910

I like watching really glitchy runs where the runner is able to explain how everything works. It's interesting to know what goes on behind the scenes in your favorite game. I don't know why some people are so snobby about 'muh intended route'. If its a single player game, exploiting bugs and glitches is harmless, it's only shitty when used to ruin other peoples experience in an online game.

>> No.3257921

I used to watch SDA's archives before youtube was that big, it was great. Reading the comments on how the runners handled various parts and why they took each path was cool too.

Nowadays, it seems like the vast majority of new speedruns come with facecams and live commentary with no way to disable them. I came to watch the game first and foremost, I don't really want to hear snarky jokes and other lame stuff.

>> No.3257939

>>3256508
>Sorry I hurt your feelings but if you can't see the difference you're actually a fucking idiot.
What's the difference?

What makes something like music, for example, different than speedrunning? As far as ability goes, they're both literally all theory, muscle memory, and grinding.

>> No.3257943

>>3257921
It attracts normies and attention. I interpret it as a necessary evil to keep the practice alive.

>> No.3257946

If they used the same devotion and passion on pretty much anything else they would be career monsters without peer.

But they chose to play videogames online.

>> No.3257949

>>3257946
says the man posting on 4chan

>> No.3257956

>>3257946
>*spends 1000 hours on a game to get a good time*
>*spends 1000 hours on learning neuroscience, still no job in neuroscience*
>If they used the same devotion and passion on pretty much anything else they would be career monsters without peer.
Imagine being this delusional.

>> No.3257957

>>3257949
Pretty mental stretch you did there, anon. Don't get your panties in a pinch.

>> No.3257962

>>3257956
>*spends 1000 hours on learning neuroscience, still no job in neuroscience*

>1000 hours learning science
>Thinks this is a lot

No wonder you can't find a job.

>> No.3257968

>>3257962
I'm making this as clear as I possibly can, so try to pay attention this time.

Your argument was that if speedrunners used the same devotion and passion on anything else they would be career monsters.

Speedrunners rarely put more than 2000 hours into a game, so that's the level of passion and devotion you're talking about.

>> No.3257972

>>3257946
I always think about this with speedrunners. It's no different in my opinion than getting really good at guitar hero. You could just play guitar and probably be really good at it. I think people get attracted to speedrunning or guitar hero or whatever because there isn't a real risk of failure because at the end of the day you're just playing a game with a shallow learning curve.

I think maybe speedrunners should take an honest look at themselves and think about what they want to do with their lives before they die. But if speedrunning Mario is your highest excitement, who am I to judge?

>> No.3257973

>>3257968
>Speedrunners rarely put more than 2000 hours into a game
this is the top extreme as well. much more common is between ~500 and 1000 hours. only a rare few games require more than 2000 hours of effort for a decent time, and most speedrunners only run 1 or 2 games.

>> No.3257975

>>3257968
2000 hours in programming would get you a job with a decent salary, a future, and wouldn't involve you begging for money from 16 year old losers trying to be validated by some autist who plays 20 year old Nintendo games for thousands of hours.

>> No.3257989

>>3257975
working a 40 hour per week job is already more work and devotion than an average speedrunner invests into their game.

your argument is bad.

>> No.3258009

>>3254807
I don't care about speedunning and I consider it borderline autism

>> No.3258012

>>3254831
>peaches
>trihex
>skeletonbill

think before you talk

>> No.3258013

>>3258009
Hot opinion there guy.

How do you feel about world poverty? War? Global warming??

>> No.3258015

>>3257989
You clearly don't watch many speedrunners, or work in programming

>> No.3258021

speedrunning is a wonderfully fun hobby with a community full of vibrant weirdos

I love everything about it

>> No.3258027

>>3258015
I watch speedrunners every day.

It's an objective fact that working 40 hours a week for the majority of your adult life is more effort than any speedrunner has ever invested into any game. How could you possibly argue this?

>> No.3258034

>>3255459

I definitely remember a dude doing a run of Tomb Raider 2 at AGDQ and he mentioned that he'd never even really liked the series, he just decided to run it.

It didn't make me angry, but I do remember thinking "well why the fuck did you chose to run it?" Was it just a dice roll so he could get e-famous on Twitch or what?

Curiously, that guy was one of the most amusing and non-autustuc speedrunners I've ever watched too. Maybe he just randomly decided one day to give it a try to see if he could do it, but I still don't understand why you wouldn't at least pick a game you like.

>> No.3258037

>>3258013
I won't answer that because I feel like you're mocking me.

>> No.3258042

>>3258027
Tell us what you do anon, and tell us five things you have never done before from the past month.

>> No.3258060

>>3258034
some games that are boring casually are actually a lot of fun to speedrun.

i'm not saying this is true in your particular example, but it's not an uncommon occurrence.

>> No.3258070

>>3258037
They get mad because we won't take turns to suck their dicks just because of the task they chose to spend their time with. That's how self entitled and obnoxious speedrunners are, they actually think their skills are worth something and should be praised.

>> No.3258093

>>3258070
>they actually think their skills are worth something and should be praised.
I don't think so. I just do it for fun and because I like playing video games.

Overbearing control freak cunts like you can get annoying sometimes, but at the end of the day it's just noise. Life goes on, and I'm still perfectly content.

>> No.3258175

>>3258027
>It's an objective fact that working 40 hours a week

Not him but it depends a lot on your job. Almost all the time I ever post on 4chan is from work. I don't know anything about speedrunning but it does look like it takes some practice and dedication.

And not the same but there are many weeks where I probably legitimately put more effort into fighting games than I do my day job.

>> No.3258184

>>3258070
>they actually think their skills are worth something and should be praised.

That's not just speedrunners though. Go into any thread here about arcade games or shmups and you get that exact same attitude.

>> No.3258219

>>3258175
>it does look like it takes some practice and dedication.
It does take practice and dedication, but it's not even on the same level as fighting games or professional esports, let alone the level necessary for a meaningful and well paying career.

don't get me wrong, i love speedrunning, but the effort involved is significantly overstated around here. i've seen people with more hours put into casual dark souls than it would take to get a top tier time in many speedgames.

>> No.3258274

>>3258219
Huh, well like I say I don't know anything about it really. I don't even watch them, just saw that comment. It seems like most of the work is in figuring out what exactly to do. Then it's just execution.

>> No.3258296

>>3258274
> It seems like most of the work is in figuring out what exactly to do.
That's pretty much it. And grinding for muscle memory. It's similar in concept to rhythm games, Tetris and shmups, just a lot more abstract in its presentation.

>> No.3258307

>>3254807

As long as someone isn't glitching, then fine. Eitherway though, doesn't really matter to me how someone else chooses to play a game.

>> No.3258309

>>3255228

I am guilty of this.

>> No.3258323

>>3254807
Godspeed

>> No.3258338

There are games that are good for speedrunning, and ones that aren't.

Unfortunately the people who are least able to distinguish the two happen to be speedrunners.

>> No.3258353

Why do people speedrun RPG's? You're just sifting through menus and hoping you get lucky based on stats during battles.

>> No.3258354

>>3258307
What's wrong with glitching? They're their own challenge in itself if you ask me. The pleb level speed runners are the ones who turn down difficulty.

>> No.3258379
File: 16 KB, 236x339, 6138593fd2412485648f447d7f69ba33[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3257684
> he guy proposes to his gf at the end

>> No.3258396

>>3258353
Why do people Speedrun Mario? You're just holding right and mashing A and hoping you get lucky based on hitboxes during hammerbros.

>> No.3258418

>>3258354

It's just my preference. I prefer not to glitch out a game to speedrun it. Also, I know this really autistic douchebag who glitch speedruns, so it's just personal.

>> No.3258425

>>3254831
Is that not rhetorical?

>> No.3258428

>>3258396
>hitboxes
>luck
ya blew it

>> No.3258434

>>3257684
My girlfriend would be pissed the fuck off if I did something this retarded. That event should be a moment to remember.

>> No.3258442

>>3255126
Dude, I like glitchless too, but your bitching is pointless because that's why glitchless categories exist.

>> No.3258526
File: 2.82 MB, 720x540, roll into the cage.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.3258537

>>3257684
What a fucking cuck. I bet that girl is out riding the cock carousel while he stays home speedrunning shit

>> No.3258542

>>3258537
Jackafur doesn't speedrun anymore. He streams like once or twice every few months, but he's been done with serious speedrunning for like 2 years now.

>> No.3258552
File: 19 KB, 258x363, 1463849912185.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3258542
Gotta keep the bitch in check.

>> No.3258564

They can be fun to watch, and while glitches can be interesting, I have far more admiration (in terms of ability to play a game) for those who 100% run than those who glitch from level 1 to the end credits.

As for speed running itself, people can do what they want if they enjoy it, but I guess I don't find the appeal in putting so much effort into getting better at entertainment media. It'd be neat if they could somehow translate their playing abilities into game development.

>> No.3258582

I never got into speedrunning, but it's fun to watch someone play at a high level of skill, especially when I've played the game and can appreciate the challenge.

>> No.3258825

>>3257975
you're overlooking the point that everything comes with an opportunity cost.

>> No.3258835

>>3256508
>"look, I can play [song] on guitar!"
>"hurr that's nothing you just dedicated hundreds if not thousands of hours repeating the exact same segments for hours you autist this proves you are autist high functioning for sure it's not real skill if you do it many times autism"

>> No.3258843

I speedrun Quake 2.

It's great fun. I even have a segmented time faster than the current WR-holder on speeddemosarchives.

However, as with most games, I don't have much time for this anymore. Growing up and becoming an adult had a huge impact on my life.

>> No.3259001

>>3258070
>"you're cheating and glitches are stupid! speedrunning is for idiots! listen to my opinion on this subject! you're supposed to play the whole game like I do! you're not better than me!"
>please go away retard
>"YOU'RE JUST MAD BECAUSE I DON'T PRAISE EVERYTHING YOU DO"

>> No.3259068

>>3259001
That was literally my first post here and I don't remember telling you what hobby you should spend your time with, I play fighting games competitively myself. So relax, mr skilled.

It's just that most speedrunners I've talked to seem to fit that description.

>> No.3259079

I enjoy watching the agdq runs from previous years. If it's a long game and a the guy playing is really chill, it's great to watch and learn a few things

>> No.3259121

>>3259068
I think he was in agreement with you bro.

>> No.3259586

>>3257681
>Speedrunning isn't ever about playing the game normally
That's my problem with it. Speedrunners claiming they have intimate knowledge about the game. They don't. They don't even play it. They play a very different meta game, just happens to use the same ROM/ISO. It's also why they don't care about intent or rules. They don't even enter their mental picture. It's them vs. the code, and whatever the code makes possible, is acceptable to them.

>> No.3259590

>>3257681
>I think anyone bothered by others doing it has problems though.
It only starts to become a problem when speedrunners try to claim any amount of superiority, in particular against players of the games. That's when defense mechanisms kick in. Otherwise, most people don't care about speedrunners. It's a hobby/job like any other.

>> No.3259613

>>3259586
what makes you think speedrunners haven't already played through their game normally 100 times and are now speedrunning for additional replay value?

i guarantee any good speedrunner has more knowledge about the game as it is "intended" than you do.

>> No.3259616

>>3259613
>what makes you think speedrunners haven't already played through their game normally 100 times and are now speedrunning for additional replay value?
several comments made in this thread confirming that they're often enough not bothering with the game itself

>> No.3259617

>>3259586
>They don't even play it.
well, except for the part where they play it.

>> No.3259620

>>3259617
try reading next time

>> No.3259621

>>3259616
>several comments made in this thread confirming that they're often enough not bothering with the game itself
word, the perception of 4chan shitters is always 100% accurate. good call bruh.

>> No.3259629

>>3259621

>>3258034
>I definitely remember a dude doing a run of Tomb Raider 2 at AGDQ and he mentioned that he'd never even really liked the series, he just decided to run it.

not like having played the game is any useful for speedruns anyway. Probably only gets in the way

>> No.3259634

>>3259629
thanks for the 1 anecdotaly example of a guy who sort of remembered something from a marathon.

most speedrunners play through games as intended before they attempt to speedrun it. most often when someone chooses to speedrun something, it's a game they've already played many times and are already passionate about. what you're specifically talking about is the exception, not the rule.

>> No.3259642

>>3259634
>most speedrunners play through games as intended before they attempt to speedrun it
questionable. They're just surveyor runs, to determine where and how to gain speed, to check the general mechanics

>are already passionate about
considering speedrunning is about actively breaking the game, they don't give a shit about it. They care about the code and the obstacles it creates, not more. The game's the useless decoration for casuals. If they'd care about the game, they'd not speedrun it

>> No.3259647

>tfw want to speedrun, but the excitement of speedrunning messes with my degenerative heart problem

Feels bad, /vr/.

>> No.3259649 [DELETED] 

>>3259642
>considering speedrunning is about actively breaking the game, they don't give a shit about it. They care about the code and the obstacles it creates, not more.
or they could, you know, care about both. imagine that. imagine a speedrunner being interested in gaming. what a strange concept.

>> No.3259675

>>3259642
>considering speedrunning is about actively breaking the game, they don't give a shit about it. They care about the code and the obstacles it creates, not more.
or they could, you know, care about both. imagine that. imagine someone being interested in two aspects of something. what a strange concept.

>> No.3259676

Why is /srg/ such a terrible general, /vr/?

>> No.3259679

>>3259676
due to the both broad and niche nature of speedrunning, talking about actual speedrunning and specific games makes it difficult to stay anonymous. that's why it's always mostly been about speedrunner e-celebrity gossip.

you can check out /r/speedrun or game specific discord/IRC channels for actual speedrunning discussion.

>> No.3259682

individual runners tend to be uninterested, just maintaining subscriptions
Don't blame them, resetting for hours at a time just for a decent start to what will almost certainly amount to nothing

The events have gotten too big, too corporate, too PC. Compare 2012 with 2015 and you'll see that lad banter has been replaced with preapproved conversation.

>> No.3259685

>>3259682
>individual runners tend to be uninterested, just maintaining subscriptions
I can see how someone would think this if they had such a limited knowledge of speedrunning that only ever watched twitch partners.

Thankfully the vast majority of speedrunners aren't twitch partners and do it because they genuinely enjoy it. Many don't even stream.

>> No.3259686

>>3258537

She is also a speedrunner.

>> No.3259690

>>3259675
>or they could care about both. imagine that
imagined it, didn't work out. The two things are in conflict

>> No.3259694

>>3259686
orgies are not sex speedruns

>> No.3259695

>>3259690
>The two things are in conflict
Imagine being this delusional and narrow minded.

>> No.3259701

>>3259586
>>3259613
If you ask the guys who play, I dunno, Ocarina of Time how to get everything in the game 100%, I can assure you they won't be able to tell you the "normal" way to get it, since they do a bunch of crazy shit like going out of bounds constantly.

That's what people mean. They don't have "intimate" knowledge of the game. They just know how to do the steps of the speedrun really well.

I said it earlier, but it's really apparent when guys miss the "quick kill" on bosses. They usually reset in frustration or barely kill the boss. If anything goes wrong on in a speed run most people have 0 ability to adapt to the situation and continue, so they just reset and try again.

>> No.3259702

>>3259695
no thanks, I'm not a speedrunner. I'd rather enjoy the games

>> No.3259708

>>3259701
>If you ask the guys who play, I dunno, Ocarina of Time how to get everything in the game 100%, I can assure you they won't be able to tell you the "normal" way to get it
That's not true at all though. I personally know multiple OOT speedrunners who could tell you every single intended way to do everything in the game. You're absolutely making shit up for the sake of shitting on a hobby you don't understand.

>> No.3259709

>>3259694

lol anon you're so funny..... not.

stop being jelly.

>> No.3259713

>>3259708
>shitting on a hobby you don't understand
I'd be perfectly fine with leaving these asshats alone, if and only if, they do the same to me. They aren't though. They're always prancing around about how they're oh so much better than normal players, while being little more than a human replay machine. As long as speedrunners maintain their delusion of grandeur I'll happily shit on them on sight

>> No.3259717

>>3259713
Actually the prevailing opinion among speedrunners is that speedrunning is something anyone can do or get into, all it takes is interest in a game and a bit of work. The community is generally very welcoming and helpful to newcomers.

>> No.3259721

>>3259713

Any example where a speedrunner has been a dick to a "normal" player?

>> No.3259723

>>3259713
>They're always prancing around about how they're oh so much better than normal players
Where have you seen this?

>> No.3259729

>>3259717
>speedrunning is something anyone can do or get into
what they're oblivious to is that speedrunning is something hardly anybody wants to get into, as it's damaging the appreciation for the games. Likewise, they do look down on people that don't pick up their hobby and just play games instead

>> No.3259736

>>3259721
>>3259723
Dude is baiting. He's clearly not as stupid as he's letting on. He just wants to trigger you people.

>> No.3259738

>>3259717
>want to play game fast
>have to learn tricks to jump into walls
>have to abuse save systems
>have to navigate menus quickly
>I just wanted to play the game fast

>> No.3259743

>>3259721
>>3259723
>it's a game they've already played many times and are already passionate about
>i guarantee any good speedrunner has more knowledge about the game as it is "intended" than you do.

>> No.3259746

>>3259738
It's really fun once you get past the soul crushing repetition and pixel perfect accuracy. The attention is nice too, but I'm not a fan of people I quote the play No Exit very often

>> No.3259747

>>3257043
there are runs that are extremely rng-dependent. even if someone plays optimally their time can be vastly different depending on certain random factors. Most of those runs are pretty shit to watch though (take pokemon r/b/y or yu-gi-oh for example)

>> No.3259748

>>3258526
I forgot how deep the movement options in Mario 64 are. It's too bad you rarely have times when a pit requires anything more complicated than a long or triple jump.

>> No.3259749

Speedrunning is fun during the following circumstances:

>You're learning how to speedrun a game you like
>It's fun and you never have to reset
>You're consistently getting faster at the game because you're learning and improving

Times speedrunning is not fun:
>After you've pretty much optimized your time and to improve you're just grinding attempts and resetting constantly

So the vast majority of speedrunning sucks. Thats why a huge amount of speedrunning streams are learning new games, or just go into "variety" streams because once you reach a point where you're no longer improving, then it becomes a waste of time and effort, and only results in frustration.

>> No.3259756

>>3257052
>>3259747

Sure, fair enough there are things that can genuinely kill a run based on random chance.

The issue I have is that Every.
Single.
Speedrunner.

Goes

"RNG" whenever something goes wrong. It has nothing to do with the players skill level at the game, or anything like that. It's always like
>OH, A zombie bit me in RE4. RNG.
>This guard decided to look right instead of left? RNG.
>This random enemy jumped "when it wasn't supposed to" so I lost the run to RNG.

It's just fucking retarded.

Also if you get into speedrunning a game that you know has some inherent luck factor in whether or not you get a good time (like Dampe in OoT 100%) then you're just asking to get fucking pissed.

>> No.3259760

>>3255126
i bet you think mods are hacks too, retard

>> No.3259761

>>3259756
that's fair enough. you'd think that, in instances like that, people would have a plan for both possible scenarios.

>> No.3259763

>>3259761
no matter the plan, one variant is faster. So if it doesn't come up, you may as well stop, as even a perfect remaining run won't improve your time

>> No.3259765

>>3259701
thats why speedrunners are doing blind 100% routes, right?
tokyoboi808, runnerguy2489

>> No.3259768

>>3259765
>two speedrunners do 100% "as intended" playthroughs of ocarina of time with their eyes blindfolded.
>"speedrunners don't know anything about the game!!"

>> No.3259775

>>3259743
Where do you get superiority from someone saying that a person who's spent probably thousands of hours playing the game and pooled their knowledge with other people who have played similar amounts knows more about the game in general than someone who hasn't? It's all worthless knowledge anyway, and everyone that speedruns knows that. You were the one claiming that they don't know the games they play, which is obviously false, and pointing out that it was stupid of you to say that isn't saying anything about "normal" players, just you. Most people speedrun games because they really like the games themselves, not because they really like the speedruns.

>> No.3259782

>>3259775
>they don't know the games they play
They're not playing the games. They're just doing speedruns

>they really like the games
They aren't even playing them. Looks like you're having a hard time to understand that though. Speedrunner, by any chance?

>> No.3259785

>>3259747
any% pokedex completion is pretty fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtZ7CzbxBFM

>> No.3259789

>>3259775
just stop responding to that guy, for real. he's either mentally ill or baiting.

>> No.3259790

>>3259782
Please explain how putting a game in the console and pressing the buttons is not playing a game

>> No.3260016

>>3259676
Because it's a general.

>> No.3260159

it appeals to autistics because only they have the obsessive-compulsive habits needed to repeat the same boring tasks over and over for days on end

>> No.3260160

>>3260159
>they have the obsessive-compulsive habits needed to repeat the same boring tasks over and over for days on end
How do you think musicians get good at their instruments?

Just curious.

>> No.3260161

>>3260159

it's "autists", not "autistics" unless you want to use that as an adjective, but that'd be without the final 's'.

>> No.3260178

old but gold. In fact, THE BEST speedrun ever no contest NO CONTEST
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmGn9sxCUgY

>> No.3260181

>>3260159
>it appeals to autistics

Very good display of English, foreign friend.

>> No.3260184

>>3260160
Music theory, and playing a wide variety of different music

Speedrunners literally just copy and memorize a run and repeat ad nauseam

>> No.3260187

>>3260184
>Music theory, and playing a wide variety of different music
And practicing the same techniques over and over and over for hours, weeks, years.
>Speedrunners literally just copy and memorize a run and repeat ad nauseam
No, there's theory and tech skill involved in speedrunning too. Stop pretending to know things you don't. It's incredibly similar to any muscle memory based skill, so yes, there is a lot of repetition, but there's also whole lot of learning and understanding that goes far beyond memorizing a route.

>> No.3260190

>>3260187
Another thing about music is that it takes a lot more time, repetition and work to learn than speedrunning a game does, while being nearly equally useless for the huge majority of people who learn to do it.

>> No.3260214 [DELETED] 

>>3260187
>And practicing the same techniques over and over and over for hours, weeks, years.
If you disagree with this you're either not a musician, or you're a shitty one.

>> No.3260252

>>3260187
>practicing the same techniques over and over and over for hours, weeks, years.
Anyone who thinks that this isn't true is either not a musican or a bad one.

A virtuoso musician will do 10x more repetitious grinding in their life than any speedrunner has ever done in any game.

>> No.3260253

>>3260187
>No, there's theory and tech skill involved in speedrunning too

No there isn't. You are vastly overestimating how much work goes into speedrunning

It's literally rhythm game tier. Purely a memorization exercise.

>> No.3260254

>>3260253
>no tech skill in speedrunning
Imagine being this delusional.

>> No.3260293

>>3260184
>How do you think musicians get good at their instruments?
>Music theory

Building finger independence, speed and dexterity obviously comes with reading about music theory.

(pls kill urself)

>> No.3260334
File: 226 KB, 468x345, 1464739559290.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3260293
>finger independence

Bet you have some hands-on experience with that, faggot

>> No.3260362

>>3259586
>Speedrunners claiming they have intimate knowledge about the game. They don't.

I would disagree with that. They clearly have an intimate knowledge of the game. Less so if they're following someone else's pattern, but the people who work at speedrunning and finding glitches of course have a very intimate knowledge of the game.

It's just that the knowledge for speedrunning and the knowledge for playing normally aren't necessarily the same. I don't see what the problem is with that.

> It's them vs. the code, and whatever the code makes possible, is acceptable to them.

I also don't see any problem with this in any way.

>> No.3260365

>>3259713
>I'd be perfectly fine with leaving these asshats alone, if and only if, they do the same to me.

Maybe you should stop caring so much what a bunch of people you barely know are doing? You are getting triggered to hell over something of zero importance.

>> No.3260437
File: 29 KB, 407x365, salem.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3254807
>asking what we think of speedrunners rather than what we think of speedrunning
do you not see the problem here

>> No.3260525

>>3258012
those people are all out of shape lmaoooooooooooooooo

>> No.3260528

squid clique ww@

>> No.3260531

be sure to check out fortified zone!!!

>> No.3260536
File: 56 KB, 709x662, sayonara3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3260253
good to see you know fuck all about either hobby anon

>> No.3260561

>>3260525
trihex first pic result is him flexing lookin ript
lel git bent nerd made me check

>> No.3260592

>>3254986
>any% run where glitches are used to complete the game in 2 minutes

A lot of any% runs are NMG (no major glitches) where you run through most of the game's intended mechanics, instead of going out of bounds etc.

Super metroid any% NMG is a great example of using game mechanics to sequence break, but not doing anything the designers didn't intend.

>> No.3260597

>>3260362
>I would disagree with that
They have intimate knowledge of the code, of the mechanics of the engine. They have no idea about the game

>I don't see what the problem is with that
arrogance on the side of the speedrunners

>I also don't see any problem with this in any way.
That's your problem then

>>3260365
I would, gladly, if they get the hell out of my view. Which they don't. So fuck them with a rusty rake

>> No.3260616

hi from twitter!!!!!

>> No.3260617

>>3260597
>They have no idea about the game
If really think that ZFG couldn't tell you exactly how to beat every part of ocarina of time to absolute completion without using glitches you might actually be a retarded person.

Fuck off with your ignorance.

>> No.3260627

>>3260617
>If really think that ZFG couldn't tell you exactly how to beat every part of ocarina of time to absolute completion
not what I said. You really punched that straw man well though

>> No.3260629

>>3260627
How is knowing every part of a game in and out "having no idea about the game"?

>> No.3260746
File: 76 KB, 215x133, image.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.3260767
File: 53 KB, 215x133, image.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.3260803
File: 18 KB, 213x150, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.3261048

>>3254835
>>3254835
underrated post

>> No.3261387

what I don't understand is:
speedrunners are ok with glitches in the game that allow them to finish the game faster. they justify it by saying it was coded in the game and anything coded in the game is free to use. BUT speedrunners cry when others use in game cheat codes or level skips, which are also coded into the game that allow them to finish the game faster.

so why are glitches ok to use but not level select and cheat codes?

all games should have 2 categories: a normal speedrun and a hardcore speedrun. the normal speedrun should be just that: a play through of the game without abusing glitches, cheat codes, and other sequence breaks. hardcore speedrun should just be the wild west where anything goes, so basically like how the speedrunners play now.

>> No.3261392

>>3261387
>all games should have 2 categories: a normal speedrun and a hardcore speedrun. the normal speedrun should be just that: a play through of the game without abusing glitches, cheat codes, and other sequence breaks. hardcore speedrun should just be the wild west where anything goes, so basically like how the speedrunners play now.
They already do precisely that.

>> No.3261401

>>3261387
Because you're a pedantic cunt.

>> No.3261415

>>3261392
there are a lot of games that don't separate glitchless runs and any% runs. not very many games track glitchless runs, unless of course you consider twin galaxies records.

>> No.3261418

>>3261415
I wanted to watch a glitchless speed run of DmC last night.

NOPE.

>> No.3261427

>>3254986
This. It's unfortunate that most people would rather watch people glitch games into oblivion. I'm not big on ecelebs but whatever.

>> No.3261428

>What do I think of speedruns
Usually cool to watch every so often. Sometimes I like to try the tricks that I see in them (like Seathe Skip in Dark Souls, or certain techniques for getting through parts of games that are challenging), but mostly I do it for entertainment value every so often.

>What do I think of speedrunners
80% of them are autistic and while they get decent times, will never be really competitive. 10% are faggoty meme-sprouters who got into it for the sheer purpose of trying to become a twitch streamer full time. 10% are actually really fucking good at speedrunning and not totally autistic.

So yeah, you're fighting an uphill battle here.

>> No.3261465

>>3256460
time invested into an activity doesn't mean it's a skill. I've masturbated quite a lot and developed a good edging technique, the discipline applied isn't the same as someone learning to play piano

>> No.3261483
File: 42 KB, 565x685, sato_masanobu_world_champion_masturbator.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3261465
>not masturbating professionally

Get good

>> No.3261492

>>3261465
This applies to everything.

There are tons of people who spend a lot of time on hobbies but never develop the skills that other people do.

Painting warhammer? Sure, you'll get better over time, but unless you really focus on improving then you won't.

Playing one video game fast? Yeah, you'll improve, but unless you do really specific and regimented practice you won't really be getting the same effort.

Sports? Same thing. You have kids running around on the field doing their thing but 2-3 stand out. Is it talent? Probably, but they probably also focus more in practice.

Time investment without really applying yourself or getting devoted into improving usually just results in stagnation, which is why so many speedrunners just sit on an endless treadmill of mediocrity.

>> No.3261495

>>3261492
>which is why so many speedrunners just sit on an endless treadmill of mediocrity.

We call those losers grindmonkeys. Constantly doing runs without regimented practice trying to brute force it until they get a good one.

>> No.3261546

>>3261492
Yeah, world record holders aren't always the people who put the most time into the game. There are all kinds of speedrunners who just never improve despite investing massive hours. You have to practice smart and practice efficiently to be the best, just like pretty much any other hobby.

>> No.3261581

>>3254896
I agree with you here anon. The commentary at ADGQ and the reactions of the crowd and couch really make speedruns much more entertaining. Seeing somebody sit in a chair and press memorised inputs while a shitty new subscriber sound plays and people spam Kappa in chat just isn't entertaining most of the time.

That said, when a new game comes out such as nuDOOM it's interesting to watch people make their own strategies and find all the cool new shit in their runs.

>> No.3261595

>>3260437
This.
The focus should stay on the game and not the runner. I think commentary can be good and often times insightful if it pertains to the run, but as soon as the runner plasters his face on the stream the focus shifts away from the game.

>> No.3261605

>>3261546
OK, I'll bite: what kind of regimented practice does a skilled speedrunner do beyond repeatedly playing the game over and over?

>> No.3261612

>>3261605
race and play other games that have similar mechanics. it's a shame SpeedRunsLive has such an archaic racing set up, otherwise more people would probably be racing more often.

>> No.3261614

>>3261605
glitch hunting is pretty fun

>> No.3261621

>>3261612
>play other games that have similar mechanics.
That's actually BAD for your skills dude. Play Mario World wont improve your mario 3 game.

>> No.3261627

>>3254807
I was a pretty big fan of the whole speedrun scene until it was revealed that the organizers of the AGDQ event were getting $167,400 from the charity. $167,400 of donations went into their pockets while people were offering to volunteer for free to help out and got denied.

i'll never watch another GDQ.

source: https://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/post/agdq2016_budget_overview.html

>> No.3261628

>>3254820
Speedrunners are indisputably autistic, who else would pour that kind of effort into this?

That said, some of them use their autism powers for good.

>> No.3261639

>>3254807
Fun to watch when there's nothing else on, but you have to pity these people whose lives revolve around nothing but games. One day people will realize you don't have to subscribe or donate to watch them on twitch and they'll go broke and have no job skills and end up as trannies like Cosmo.

>> No.3261640

>>3261628
Replaying single-player games you've already beaten before is autistic.

>> No.3261647

>>3261640
Doing anything more than once is autistic.

>> No.3261693

>>3261605
Every hobby that requires extensive dexterity and muscle memory requires repetitious practice. Musicianship and skateboarding, for example. Musicians literally spend hours practicing the same techniques repeatedly, and skateboarders practice the same tricks over and over.

Speedrunning is no different. The thing is, if you're practicing something over and over in the wrong way, you're developing the wrong muscle memory and you aren't improving your understanding of how something is executed. There's far more understanding involved in movement tech and glitches than just watching what's on the screen and duplicating it. If it were that easy, you would be able to become a godly speedrunner without ever having to ask questions, but that's literally never the case.

It's funny, sometimes runners will watch better runners and be utterly baffled by how the better players are moving faster than they are. To the newer runners, the movement the better players are doing looks exactly the same because they lack a deeper understanding of the tech. If it were as easy as just watching a run and copying it, they would immediately understand why they're moving slower, but it's nowhere near that simple.

>> No.3261790

>>3261693
>The thing is, if you're practicing something over and over in the wrong way, you're developing the wrong muscle memory and you aren't improving your understanding of how something is executed. There's far more understanding involved in movement tech and glitches than just watching what's on the screen and duplicating it.
This is why musicians who just read tabs and copy songs note for note are shitty musicians. Good musicians spend time practicing and understanding scales and modes and patiently going over techniques without trying to rush it. A good musician will be able to play something cleanly, a bad musician will play it sloppily. It might sound similar to an untrained ear, but anyone who knows their shit could point out the difference. This EXACT same shit applies to speedrunning.

Bad habits are a killer. They're insanely easy to fall into, and after a long time of doing it that way, can be insanely hard to break. If you just do runs over and over and over, you aren't getting better at fine tuning, understanding or optimizing each subtle movement, trick, or segment. You're just developing consistency with bad or mediocre technique. This is why it's so common to see runners plateau and reach a dead end in their improvement, despite all their efforts.

>> No.3262107

>>3261647
Doing anything is autistic

>> No.3262307

>>3254807
I think its cool using everything within the cartridges limitations to beat the game as fast as possible, I can see why some people wouldnt like it but also its not about playing the game through as much as just beating it quickly. hence... Speed Run

>> No.3262691

>>3261627
This is the unfortunate reality that has given rise to organizations and websites that rate charities for their actual charity.
This is awful. Thanks, anon.

>> No.3262730

>>3255126
dumbest comparison I've ever seen

there is nothing wrong with a glitch vs no glitch debate, but this comparison is the dumbest shit, glitches are cheating by some standards (twin galaxies) and not by others (the majority of the community).

You can debate the ethics all you want, but its not fucking comparable to cheating in monopoly, because monopoly doesn't have fucking glitches, how are you this daft? Be honest

>> No.3262737 [DELETED] 

>>3262730
>its not fucking comparable to cheating in monopoly
It's not comparable to cheating at all. Speedrunners only compete with one another, they're not trying to compete with people who do casual playthroughs. Speedrunners agree upon the rules that one another use on a game by game basis. If competitor is okay with using glitches, how could it be considered cheating by any metric?

Similarly, if everyone playing a game of monopoly agrees that robbing the bank is okay, how can any of the players be cheating?

>> No.3262741

>>3255385
What paper is this? Looks interesting.
t. Mathfag

>> No.3262743

>>3262730
>its not fucking comparable to cheating in monopoly
It's not comparable to cheating at all. Speedrunners only compete with one another, they're not trying to compete with people who do casual playthroughs. Speedrunners agree upon the rules that one another use on a game by game basis. If every competitor agrees that using glitches is fair game, how could it be considered cheating by any metric?

Similarly, if everyone playing a game of monopoly agrees that robbing the bank is okay, how can any of the players be cheating?

>> No.3263167

>>3262741
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~tom7/mario/mario.pdf
It's a Computer Science paper on machine learning and making an AI that plays video games.

>> No.3263203

It could be interesting but god why are so many of them such intolerable people?

>hold these five keys while resetting twenty times in a row
>broken as fuck dude, shit game lol

>> No.3263212

They enable to relive some of the coziness of muh childhood without any effort from me.

>> No.3263220

>>3254831
Because they sit on their ass all day eating shit and playing video games

That's pretty much the textbook way to get fat and unhealthy

>> No.3263228

>>3255107
Big Jon is so fucking entertaining.

The tetris nerds last year were mind-blowing as well. Nice guys, modest the about their (mindbending) skills, and we'll adjusted enough to explain what they were doing without dropping the spaghetti

>> No.3263451

I play a non-retro speedrun game series that happens to be a mission-based stealth game with fairly easily bent rules for the max stealth mark, and the series' levels on their own have a quality where they encourage fucking around or using different means of completing one mission. It's not particularly glitch heavy, more.

I never felt like I appreciated the game less than others, since by the time I ran out of pure speedrun ideas, I had themed ones in store, like melee only or full stealth+speed, or only using a certain weapon as a theme.

The series also has a low entry level.

I'm always impressed by people who are good at video games in general, especially if they're playing with self-imposed challenges and handicaps. So speedruns can be fun, and it's fun to share new skips or tricks with the rest of the community. Some bad apples, like in every community.

>> No.3264686

>>3258012
>trihex
>speedrunner

>> No.3264692

>>3254820
i dont understand, are people who do this actually autistic? could they say to they doctor that they speedrun games and then they'd diagnose it?

>> No.3264702

>>3264692
>could they say to they doctor that they speedrun games and then they'd diagnose it?
God I wish it was that easy. Then I could get that sweet autismbux.

>> No.3264705

>>3264702
whats the process? how do you do it? im literally scared to go to work due to heavy social anxiety and other anxieties.

>> No.3264719

>>3264692
They could if their doctor was a 4chan poster and not actually a doctor.

>> No.3264768

>>3255392
>a little silly

The critical hitboxes for some enemies are larger than their normal hitboxes in that version. Some are so large that shots that miss trigger criticals.

That's more than just "a little silly" that's flat-out cheating.

And duping has always been cheating - you can't reasonably expect expect four guys to be allowed to have four copies of the same Legendary on a single playthrough.

>> No.3264785

Yeah by that logic can't you speedrun using savestates? What if you're playing the 3DS or WiiU virtual console games, they allow savestates in those.

>> No.3265719

>>3254807
>speedrunners
>play on easy
>"Because it's faster lol"

Fags. At least normal, if not the hardest difficulty if they're soo good at the game.

>> No.3265726
File: 78 KB, 640x640, 1376174706575.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I really enjoy speedrunning, both RTA and TAS.

To me, games are a challenge that has clearly defined rules. Whatever goes within the confines of the game code, goes. Speedrunning takes that idea to heart and exploits it to the fullest by going really fast and exploiting every little trick they can find. TASing goes even more extreme and adds perfect reflexes and theoretically perfect luck to the mix to make for an even faster solution to the challenge.

I really enjoy seeing games taken to their absolute limit on a fundamental level. I enjoy seeing things like the latest TAS of Super Mario Bros. that saves a single frame compared to the previous one because the game has become so optimized that that is actually a massive accomplishment. I also enjoy completely batshit speedruns like Werster running the Pokemon Stadium games in full, which took over 24 hours. In short, I enjoy seeing games taken beyond "what the developers intended". If that makes me autistic, then call me Captain Autismo of the S.S. Sperglord, I guess.

And of course, if I never got into watching speedruns, I wouldn't have discovered PJ, and that would have been a shame.

https://youtu.be/OdHsR6e0nlA?t=3m42s

I recommend watching this run if you think that speedrunners don't really know the game they're playing and instead just strictly follow a route. It's an "all weapons" run, which basically means "make a lot of weapons drop and pick all of them up", so you can never know which weapon you'll have for a specific section. In a game in the Ghosts 'n' Goblins series, that's big.

>> No.3265750

>>3265726
>Werster running the Pokemon Stadium in full, which took over 24 hours.
OH GOD and on top of that he is using the PAL version too.
JESUS.

>> No.3265754

>>3265726
PJ is an exception.
PJ is really good at the games he runs. Other people are not.

He also runs games that are notoriously difficult like GnG and Actraiser 2.

>> No.3265839 [DELETED] 

>>3265750
2d speedgames are notoriously easy, with some exceptions.

>> No.3265843

>>3265754
>PJ is really good at the games he runs. Other people are not.
Laughable blanket generalization and a classic demonstration of the ignorance non-speedrunners tend to have toward actual speedrunners.

>> No.3265851

>>3265754
>He also runs games that are notoriously difficult like GnG and Actraiser 2.
The hardest 2d speedgames are notoriously easier to optimize than the hardest 3d speedgames. 2d platformers are among the easiest types of game to speedrun, irrespective of casual difficulty. Also, hard to beat in a normal playthrough =/= hard to speedrun. All of these things are common knowledge among speedrunners.

PJ isn't as good at speedrunning as you think he is.

>> No.3265856

>>3261627
It was already clear that they were in more for the money the moment they put Sonic 2k6 and Adventure 2 in the same block one event, but this is damning. At least I saw something of value from this thread.

>>3259676

>/vg/

That answer your question?

>>3265726
>If that makes me autistic, then call me Captain Autismo of the S.S. Sperglord, I guess.
Reminder: If /v/ has any remote ire towards it, it is autistic, no exceptions.

On a non-babbyboard-related note, you make some very good points and I agree with you.

>> No.3265858

>>3265851
>The hardest 2d speedgames are notoriously easier to optimize than the hardest 3d speedgames.
not to mention GnG and Actraiser 2 are unoptimized meme games with literally no competition. They're not even close to being among the hardest 2d speedgames. Anyone who thinks PJ is anything beyond a mediocre speedrunner has no idea what they're saying.

>> No.3265859

I think its really fun to watch. I know most people on this site don't like it anymore, but I get hyped up for GDQ each year. That's usually when I take my vacation.

>> No.3265863

>>3265858
>meme games

You were doing so well, too.

>> No.3265864
File: 48 KB, 470x475, 1464197002238.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3260746
>>3260767
>>3260803

>> No.3265865

>>3265863
Thanks for the lesson, guy who doesn't speedrun or know anything about speedrunning.

>> No.3265870 [DELETED] 

>>3265863
http://www.speedrun.com/actraiser2#Hard
wow, such meaningful competition.

if you think this guy is a good speedrunner you're delusional.

>> No.3265892

>>3265754
>PJ is an exception.
>PJ is really good at the games he runs. Other people are not.
>He also runs games that are notoriously difficult like GnG and Actraiser 2.
imagine being this much of a delusional nuthugger.

>> No.3265939

I like to just see someone play a game as fast as possible with the best possible run but without any kind of exploits or glitches.

I dunno what you call that but im not interested in someone technically beating Mario world in 2 minutes because he gltiched it.

>> No.3265952

>>3265939
the best speedruns are a combination of high skill ceiling movement tech and interesting sequence breaks. typically these fall into the 30-120 minute range.

most speedrunners don't enjoy credits warp type runs either.

>> No.3265958

>>3255228
Psycho Mantis was technically my first lover.

>> No.3265970

>>3254807
Speedrunning games which were build to be speedrunned is ok, but forcing competition into literal games for little children is just retarded.

Playing for score is were it's at. Speedrunning is just pathetic.

>> No.3265984

>>3265970
ironically enough, games that are designed for speedrunning tend to be really bad speedgames.

>> No.3265991

>>3265984
For example? Tenchu Z for example is build to be speedrunned, and there speedruns actually also are fun to watch.

Not like shit like Goldeneye or whatever, where people just run through the level or glitch through walls.

>> No.3265998

>>3265991
The concept of speedrunning wasn't a thing when Tenchu Z came out. There are some games that are designed to be played at an extremly fast pace (the racing genre for instance) however this is not the same thing. Glitching and using exploits is never part of the design process.

>> No.3266004

>>3265998
You still couldn't name a single game bad for speedrunning although build to be speedrunned. Guess I win the argument then.

>> No.3266005 [DELETED] 

>>3265998
Goldeneye was designed for speedrunning. There are literally rewards for beating levels under a certain time.

>> No.3266012

>>3265991
Spelunky

>> No.3266016

>>3265991
Goldeneye was designed for speedrunning. Every mission is timed and there are literally rewards for achieving goals withinin a certain time frame.

>> No.3266018
File: 1.88 MB, 850x480, nasa.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.3266019

>>3254807
Kinda, pointless, really.
Games of digitary dexterity have never been widely considered "sports".

Also, Exploiting glitches is kinda like using steroids. Moves the goalposts, and all that.
You can't get an accurate measure of skill, speed or strength if the metric keeps changing.

>> No.3266023

>>3266016
Then it was shitty designed for speedrunning. However games which were not designed for speedrunning at all are also not better.

Speedrunning in general is stupid except for a few exceptions.

>> No.3266032
File: 2.22 MB, 480x360, ttmreds.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3266023
>However games which were not designed for speedrunning at all are also not better.
Sure man, whatever you say.

>> No.3266036

>>3266019
>Exploiting glitches is kinda like using steroids
categories

>>3266023
Its not really any more stupid than the official leaderboards for those games

>> No.3266039 [DELETED] 

>>3266018
AUTISTS HAVING FUN?!

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>> No.3266042 [DELETED] 

>>3266019
>Kinda, pointless, really.
obviously.
>Games of digitary dexterity have never been widely considered "sports".
nobody actually thinks speedrunning is esports, and making a comparison between the two is generally frowned upon within the community.
>Also, Exploiting glitches is kinda like using steroids. Moves the goalposts, and all that.
You can't get an accurate measure of skill, speed or strength if the metric keeps changing.
This is the purpose of having varying categories. It's also more of a cooperative effort than a competitive one. Speedrunners share strategies and ideas with one another, etc, and communities for individual games are quite often tightly knit.

>> No.3266045

>>3266019
>Kinda, pointless, really.
obviously.
>Games of digitary dexterity have never been widely considered "sports".
nobody actually thinks speedrunning is esports, and making a comparison between the two is generally frowned upon within the community.
>Exploiting glitches is kinda like using steroids.
laughably stupid comparison.
>You can't get an accurate measure of skill, speed or strength if the metric keeps changing.
This is the purpose of having varying categories. It's also more of a cooperative effort than a competitive one. Speedrunners share strategies and ideas with one another, etc, and communities for individual games are quite often tightly knit.

>> No.3266047

>>3266032
Do you think that's difficult? Speedrunning is basically the way of the casuals to be competitive.
That's also why no asians do speedruns, because they are busy dominating games which were actually designed to be competitive, instead of forcing competition into games for little children.

>> No.3266052

>>3266004
speedrunners

>> No.3266053

>>3266047
>That's also why no asians do speedruns,
the player in that webm is Japanese.

there are massive asian speedrunning communities, what the fuck kind of drugs are you on? lmao

>> No.3266054
File: 44 KB, 500x382, 1464402680805.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3266053
>lmao

>> No.3266056

>>3266053
Of course there are some asians, but speedrunning is still mostly a western thing.

>> No.3266058

>>3266056
i'd say a good 1/4 of speedrunners are Asian. mostly Japanese, but still Asian.

>> No.3266061

>>3266056
>there are some asians
yeah, you have no idea how many runners there actually are in asia. speedrunning is big in the west because of popular marathons like gdq, but asia is still doing quite a bit of speedrunning.

>> No.3266064

>>3266056
SM64 speedrunning basically originated in Japan. Nobody in the west ran it until Sigelmic showed up.

>> No.3266065

>>3266047
>I know the bare minumum about this thing to hate it
we can tell

>> No.3266068

>>3266061
You also have no idea how many there are. However fact is that speedrunning is mainly a western thing. Because it's retarded shit for wannabe hardcore gamers.

>> No.3266070

>>3266065
>I force competition into children games no matter how stupid the gameplay looks in the end

>> No.3266071

>>3266068
i know it's more than 'some asians' like you're trying to pull it off like a handfull. I also like how how your rationale is 'speedrunning is shit because it's a western thing'.

>> No.3266074

>>3266068
http://www.speedrun.com/sm64#0_Star
http://www.speedrun.com/sm64#1_Star
http://www.speedrun.com/sm64#16_Star

you can literally view how many there are.

>> No.3266076

>>3266070
>I care how I look playing video games
this is /vr/ and not /v/ right?

>> No.3266083

>>3266071
I never said its only a handful. I just say that speedrunning is a western thing for the vast majority. No shit there are some asian speedrunners...

And it's not shit because it's a western thing, it's shit because it makes the games mostly even worse than they actually already are.

When I want to have competitive games, then I play shmups or fighting games, because they were made to be competitive, not children games where you just run through the level and glitch your way through.

>> No.3266085
File: 43 KB, 1040x600, seriously wtf.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

So, they play videogames.... but fast?

>> No.3266087

>>3266083
>you just run through the level and glitch your way through.
man you stream monsters really are clueless.

>> No.3266090

>>3266076
Your reading comprehension sucks. I never said anything about how I look. I said the gameplay is even shittier when speedrunning mostly.

>> No.3266092

>>3266087
>implying the meta in speedrunning isn't just who exploits the most glitches

>> No.3266093

>>3266090
You said it looks shittier, not plays shittier.

If you're going to keep changing your mind then this dialogue is a waste of both of our times.

>> No.3266096

>>3266090
Maybe you need to accept that speedrunning isn't your personal preference but others may disagree with how cool speedrunning is.

>> No.3266101

>>3266093
When gameplay looks shitty, then it also plays shitty. It comes down to the same, fucktard.

>> No.3266102

ITT: speedrunners baiting each other.

>> No.3266107

>>3266096
No, you just need to accept that memerunning is just a retarded way of forcing competition into things which were not meant to be competitive. It's a way for casuals who suck at actually competitive games to feel "hardcore".

>> No.3266108

>>3266101
I disagree, gameplay value is not linked to how it looks.

Again, I AM on /vr/, right?
You guys praise 30 year old games that look like shit but are amazing to play, or something.

>> No.3266110

>>3266108
>You guys praise 30 year old games that look like shit but are amazing to play, or something.
Just because a game has bad graphics doesn't mean it has bad gameplay fucktard.

If a game has good gameplay, then anyone who isn't literally retarded easily can see this, especially when a skilled person plays the game.

>> No.3266115

>>3266110
so a pacificst run through Ninja Gaiden isn't skill?

>> No.3266123

>>3266115
No, that's artificial difficulty.

>> No.3266124

>>3266110
I agree. You missed the point I was trying to illustrate but we'll gloss over that.

what was your point again?
all unsanctioned/unpopular competition is 'retarded'?
Or you just don't like that people like something you don't like.

I don't like let's plays, I think it's moronic and a waste of time.
Notice that I said "I think". People would disagree with me and they are within their right to do so.

>> No.3266131

>>3266124
I don't understand how someone could like what I don't like, it doesn't make any sense to me.

>> No.3266134

>>3266124
>what was your point again?
>all unsanctioned/unpopular competition is 'retarded'?
>Or you just don't like that people like something you don't like.
My point is speedrunning is stupid except for a few exceptions. Because it mostly doesn't fit to the games and only makes the gameplay even worse.

If you want to play games competitively, then play games which were designed to be competitive, and don't try to force competition into games which were not designed to be competitive.

>> No.3266137

Question to any speedrunners:

Do you speedrun other parts of your life? Driving efficiently, talking to girl strats, finishing your meals any% glitchless?

>> No.3266140

>>3266137
>Do you speedrun other parts of your life?
no

>> No.3266141

>>3266137
hehe xD

>> No.3266143

>>3266137
sometimes i flush the toilet just before i am done peeing and also i toast toast while making eggs

>> No.3266146

>>3266143
Do you start the toast and eggs over if you fail the timing?

>> No.3266148

>>3266134
I'm surprised too that events like GDQ have grown to the size that they are and attract so many people.

Let's agree to disagree.

>> No.3266150

>>3266146
when practising, no
I hardly ever record myself

>> No.3266151

>>3266148
Like I said, some games can be cool for speedrunning, like Tenchu, or perhaps also Mario. Speedrunning Kaizo Mario for example could be pretty fun.

However, when people start to speedrun RPGs or whatever, that's where it starts to just get silly.

>> No.3266154
File: 29 KB, 1110x600, gotta_go_fast.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Question to any speedrunners:

Do you gotta fast? Or do you just want to go fast?

>> No.3266159

>>3266143
>toasting toast

Nigga, normal people toast bread

>> No.3266162

>>3266151
You ever heard of Ludum Dare?

>> No.3266164

>>3266137
I keep track of my step counter everywhere I go, I easily look ahead and can adjust my route to avoid any encounters

>> No.3266170
File: 5 KB, 300x168, index.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3266159
Not this nigga.

>> No.3266209

>>3265865
The only thing anon said is that you pissed away all your credibility in a post with two simple words. Doesn't matter what else you said, it has no value any longer

>> No.3266217

>>3266159
>not liking your toast extra crunchy

>> No.3266225

>>3266162
What does it has to do with speedrunning?

>> No.3266228

>>3266225
it's game dev speedrunning, duh

>> No.3266314

>>3254958
>Mega Man pause glitch

The developers fucking up invincibility frames sounds more like a design mistake or oversight to me, but you're the authority on glitches.

>> No.3266315

>>3266047
>>3266056
>Asians don't speedrun
>the world records in 3 out of 4 of the main categories in the most popular and competitive speedgame are held by Japanese people.
>literally 50% of the entire SM64 leaderboard is from Japan.

>> No.3266323
File: 54 KB, 316x730, rlsrCdq.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Asians don't speedrun

>> No.3266327

>>3266315
>skater
>zfg
>marco
>valientlink
>asian
hello?

>> No.3266329

>>3266327
>OOT
>competitive
lmao

>> No.3266336

>>3266329
competitive is pretty subjective, but oot is objectively more popular than sm64

>> No.3266341

>>3266336
>oot is objectively more popular than sm64
not by much, but you're right.

>> No.3266413

I always walk up steps 2 at a time but recently started going down 2 at a time also. Gotta go fast, scrubs going slow need to beef up their game

>> No.3266431

>>3266336

OoT is more fun to glitch

Getting the gold scale and bombchus early bypasses a lot of bullshit parts and easy as fuck to do.

>> No.3266479
File: 101 KB, 625x624, Betty White.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3254892
SMB1 is literally designed so you can run through the levels at high speed!

>> No.3266687
File: 1.90 MB, 2560x1440, Message_1463929989787.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3254807
Old games are designed to be beatable quickly. Why the fuck u think they got warps and shieeet

>> No.3266709

>>3266479
the run in the OP pic uses a wrong warp in 4-2 to save a few seconds. Since only one exit can be loaded at a time, they go through the pipe instead of the vine while the vine exit (world 8 warp) is still loaded. This is faster than jumping up to the vine.

Pretty minor compared to most stuff, but I'm pretty sure that wasn't something nintendo planned and iirc it's the only "glitch" in the run

>> No.3266725

>>3266709
>iirc it's the only "glitch" in the run
>what is bullet bill glitch
>what is the 8-4 wall jump
please son.

>> No.3266726

>>3266725
not glitches

>> No.3266735

>>3266726
except they literally are. you could make an argument i guess for 8-4 not being a glitch, but bullet bill glitch is clearly a glitch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nznR4sN493U

>> No.3266738

so is andrewg a tranny yet or what

>> No.3267448

But ur not doing it legit so whats the point of a speed run? Thats dumb as shit bro no point to doin the run if ur gonna glitch its not legi

>> No.3267909

>>3267448
t. a child

>> No.3268040
File: 201 KB, 470x595, 1452042233802.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>fw just bumped /srg/ to 404

>> No.3268051

>>3254807
I speedran Ape Escape 3 I know, not retro because I beat it 100% and knew the game inside and out, so I wanted more out of it. Some of it was incredibly frustrating, but getting down to a 1:20 run(like a year ago, mind you) felt like a huge accomplishment, and I knew the game even more intimately than before.

I've also been on-and-off learning Super Adventure Island II. I think, if you're doing it just for the fun of challenging yourself further with a game you already love to death, there is nothing wrong with it. If I ever find myself grinding a better time to the point where it's no fun at all anymore, I'd probably just move on to another game.

Believe it or not, world records aren't everything. Well, unless you're the guy in the OP; then you're pretty much the fucking champ forever.

Oh, and "you use glitches so it's not legit" is a non-argument that usually comes from insecure people that want to feel like they accomplished something by beating the game normally without using them. In a lot of cases pulling the glitch off is actually MORE difficult than just finishing that section normally, it's only done because it's faster. In games where a substantial amount of the game is skipped using glitches, there's pretty much always a glitchess category, e.g. all cards in Paper Mario.

>> No.3268054

>>3268051
>In a lot of cases pulling the glitch off is actually MORE difficult than just finishing that section normally
and we don't care. Difficulty is not a rating of quality. That's what you glitchtards seem to not understand

>> No.3268080

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLsksxTH4pR3JuFwaBH10C0aaC1dvfE85h

>> No.3268081

>>3268054
>we
Mind explaining what IS a "rating of quality" then, oh wise one?

>> No.3268090

>>3268081
my post had shitty wording. Glitchtards seem to be obsessed with difficulty. If it's harder, it must be better, and hence fully justified. They never once think of mechanics within the context of the game, if they are "plausible" or rational. People who have a problem with glitches look at the game as a whole, and recognize bugs as such. People that use glitches treat the game like a piece of code, that reacts to their input. As such, the two groups will never see eye to eye. The glitchtards call out the sane people as lazy underachievers, the normal folks call out the glitchtards because they're bypassing rules of the game. The difficulty of the bypass is irrelevant, the fact that it happens is all that matters.

>> No.3268096

>>3268090
>glitchtards
Boy, you sure don't sound biased in the slightest.

So what you're saying is, despite it being one of my all-time favorite games and spending hundreds of hours just exploring its levels and beating it dozens of times, I actually don't give a shit about Ape Escape 3 as a game because I used a glitch to scale a wall quickly for the sake of a speedrun? You are being mighty presumptuous.

>> No.3268103

>>3268096
>Boy, you sure don't sound biased in the slightest.
Sorry if I wasn't clear. I strongly dislike people like you

>You are being mighty presumptuous
likewise

>> No.3268119

>>3268103
>Sorry if I wasn't clear. I strongly dislike people like you
If that's the case, it's clear you're going to throw reason out the window for the sake of being "right," and therefore not worth arguing with; all I'll say is that your argument is based on an issue of morality and not logic, and therefore impossible to objectively prove right or wrong.

>> No.3268126

>>3268119
>therefore not worth arguing with
I'm not arguing with you. You're too stuck in your own reasoning to understand the position anyway. I just pointed out why some people don't like glitches. That you don't understand it is just par for the course

>your argument is based on an issue of morality and not logic
a) wrong b) deal

>objectively
meme shitter shitting memes? I was expecting no less from you

>> No.3268138

>>3268103
Man you are very hostile. Maybe try not to take life so seriously champ? Hate is not healthy for you. Unless this is aussie kun which this is par for the course then.

>> No.3268145

>>3268138
>you are very hostile
don't get in my shit and we won't have a problem.
As it is, you are in my shit, so you're welcome to suck on the business end of a 9mm. Be sure mommy loaded it for you first. Speedrunners tend to forget about anything not exactly on their practiced path

>> No.3268146

>>3268145
> get in my shit
Ok so you are either aussie kun or some other delusional wack job with anger problems. Figured

>> No.3268190

>>3268146
He thinks PJ is a good speedrunner, so the latter is most likely true.

>> No.3268198 [DELETED] 

>>3268190
>good speedrunner
no such thing

>> No.3268208

>>3268198
whoa, you just like, blew my mind bruh

>> No.3268272

>>3268146
please stop responding to that faggot, he's been here baiting people since the start of the thread.

>> No.3268283

I've seen some shitty opinions but this is some next level shit guys.

Go to the /srg/ containment board and get the fuck outta here.

>> No.3268292

>>3268272
that would be wrong too. I came to this thread half-way in. Turns out there's more than one person that's tired of you shitsters

>> No.3268323

GDQ has been disenchanted for me.
Call me hipster or faggot or whatever, but I think the event grew too big. I preferred the smaller scale it had in its first two or three years.

>> No.3268340

>>3268090
>People who have a problem with glitches look at the game as a whole, and recognize bugs as such. People that use glitches treat the game like a piece of code, that reacts to their input. As such, the two groups will never see eye to eye.
Why do you think these things are necessarily mutually exclusive? You can't enjoy the context of a game while simultaneously being interested in the code and finding ways to exploit it?

You seem to have this neckbearded "all or nothing" sort of mentality.

>> No.3268346

>>3268340
because one requires damaging the other. If you examine and abuse the engine, the illusion of the game mechanics gone

>> No.3268352

>>3268346
>If you examine and abuse the engine, the illusion of the game mechanics gone
So game developers cannot enjoy or be good at their own games?

>> No.3268358

>>3268352
it's possible, but difficult. Well, obviously they can enjoy playing with them, just like speedrunners enjoy their perversion. What they can't though is experience the game innocently. They're aware of the workings underneath, and have to invest some work to overlook them. That's the curse of being a developer. On the upside, you create something.

>> No.3268376

>>3268358
So basically you're saying that because software engineers and coders have a natural inclination to think about how code works in the games they play, and have the knowledge and intuition to understand how it works, they can never "properly" enjoy a game?

You're clearly more of an autist than any speedrunner. Not only that, but you're a nauseatingly pretentious control freak as well.

>> No.3268378

>>3268376
>So basically you're saying that
No, I am not. Thanks for trying.

>> No.3268382

>>3268378
Except you are, and that's not an argument.

Thanks for trying.

>> No.3268389 [DELETED] 

>>3268358
>just like speedrunners enjoy their perversion.
>perversion
The fedora is strong with you.

>> No.3268398

>>3268382
I talked about authors and their game, not players and any game. The rest was you wildly going off the rails in order to have an internet argument

>> No.3268405

>>3268358
>just like speedrunners enjoy their perversion.
>experience the game innocently.
what a fucking fruit salad you are.

i don't care about speedrunning, but people like you make me want to congratulate speedrunners and shake their hands for making faggots like you squeal in butt pain.

>> No.3268408

>>3268405
you're squealing, oh so loudly, as can be seen by your endless outraged replies. I'm just chuckling at retards

>> No.3268413

>>3268398
>If you examine and abuse the engine, the illusion of the game mechanics gone
This is what the large majority of coders think about when they play the game, so it stands to reason that you think coders cannot enjoy games.

>> No.3268415

>>3268408
you're not responding to who you think you are.

>> No.3268418

>>3268408
We're all chuckling at you, buddy. Nobody here is even a speedrunner and it's still easy for all of us to see how pathetic and wrong you are.

>> No.3268419

>>3268413
>This is what the large majority of coders think about when they play the game
if you say so. Happy to not be in that majority then

>>3268415
who says I'm referring to an individual? Probably a little too complicated for you

>> No.3268423

>>3268418
you support their shit, you're shit. Quite simple, really

>> No.3268424

>>3268419
>if you say so. Happy to not be in that majority then
If you're a coder, you understand the inner workings of game design, and thus cannot enjoy the game innocently. You cannot be a coder without damaging video games for yourself as a whole.

>> No.3268428
File: 29 KB, 635x755, 1398655691161.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3268145
>As it is, you are in my shit, so you're welcome to suck on the business end of a 9mm. Be sure mommy loaded it for you first.
Oh my god I can't believe I ever took you seriously in the first place. It's like I'm really on GameFAQs again after all these years.

>> No.3268431

>>3268424
doing just fine, thanks

>If you're a coder, you understand the inner workings of game design
bold claim, they're not even remotely related

>and thus cannot enjoy the game innocently
>the game
which one? The ones I did not write? Got no interest in analyzing their inner workings, I'd rather play them

>> No.3268432

>>3268423
>you support their shit
I don't give a fuck about speedrunning, I just vehemently disagree that you can't enjoy a game while simultaneously being aware of how the engine works. If you seriously believe this you are objectively more autistic and delusional than anyone who does speedruns.

>> No.3268436 [DELETED] 

>>3268428
>I can't believe I ever took you seriously in the first place
and yet you did, sucker. That said, my opinion is genuine. That one post, as well as quite a few following it, are plain shitposting, because that's all you tards deserve

>> No.3268440

>>3268431
>coding
>not even remotely related to game design
Imagine having an IQ this low.

>> No.3268443

>>3268432
>I just vehemently disagree
no problem there, we all have our own position

>you are objectively more autistic and delusional
big problem with that. You're shitting things up on a personal level because you can't handle people having a different opinion. So I'll happily treat you like the pile of shit that you are

>> No.3268457

>>3268443
The problem is that you don't get to decide if other people enjoy games or not. You can't read minds, and you certainly don't have that level of empathy toward what other people experience, being an autist and all.

>> No.3268469 [DELETED] 

>>3268457
>you don't get to decide if other people enjoy games or not
I don't get to decide whether they enjoy interacting with it, agreed. I question them playing the game when speedrunning, and I question their ability to play the game on a conceptual level when manipulating the underlying engine. At that point it's a minmaxing exercise and the game is gone. If you enjoy doing that, be my guest.

Though, frankly, I think you really should look closely into a meat grinder. Would be a much better use of your body than what it's currently doing

>> No.3268471

>>3268440
Design and creation are two completely different things. The guy who draws the blueprints of a building is a completely different person from the guy who lays the bricks

>> No.3268478

>>3268469
>I question them playing the game when speedrunning, and I question their ability to play the game on a conceptual level when manipulating the underlying engine.
I speedrun Super Mario 64. Give me any random task (preferably one that doesn't exist within any speedrun, to help further demonstrate my point) to do in the game and I'll perform it better than you can on my first try. No practice, memorization or minmaxing necessary.

I'll even record it for you and post it here.

>> No.3268483

>>3268478
>I'll perform it better than you can on my first try
You understood nothing. Go do a couple speedruns

>> No.3268486

>>3268483
You said I don't know anything about the game. I'm willing to prove that I know quite a lot about the game and you are refusing my offer.

Scared, I guess.

>> No.3268496

>>3268486
I fully believe you know everything there is to know about the levels, the engine, the physics, the controls, and that you can manipulate all of them much better than I ever could.

I also see you're unable to treat the game as an innocent platformer any longer. It's a thing you manipulate. You're pretty good at that, no doubt, and you're likely having a ton of fun, but the game itself is completely lost on you.

>> No.3268501

>>3268496
>but the game itself is completely lost on you.
Which part of the game is lost on me? Be as specific as possible. Fuck off with your "you just don't understand the game maaaan" horse shit.

>> No.3268512

>>3268501
the sense of wonder exploring the virtual world, being Mario, toying with the enemies and obstacles, having uncompetitive simple fun. The game's not competitive in its nature. You are though

>Be as specific as possible
That phrase is usually used if you want to dissect something piece by piece. The exact opposite if what I'm talking about. My statement wasn't specifically about Mario 64 either. Anyway, have fun ripping my post apart and win what you perceive to be an argument. You can do it, anon!

>> No.3268525

>>3268512
>the sense of wonder exploring the virtual world, being Mario, toying with the enemies and obstacles, having uncompetitive simple fun
Except I do all of these things. I play the game outside of the context of speedrunning probably more often than I speedrun it. I use the levels as a playground and have all kinds of fun with them.

I'm continually amazed by the game within the context of the game. I think it's the best platforming game of all time.

>That phrase is usually used if you want to dissect something piece by piece. The exact opposite if what I'm talking about.

So you can't actually explain why I don't enjoy the game as a game, you just have this vague idea of how a game should be enjoyed and try to force that idea on other people.

>> No.3268530

>>3268512
You know you should go shitpost at this guy
https://www.youtube.com/user/pannenkoek2012/videos

By your definition he cares less about Mario 64 as a game than anyone else in the world

>> No.3268531

>>3268525
>So you can't actually explain why I don't enjoy the game as a game
I did

>you just have this vague idea of how a game should be enjoyed and try to force that idea on other people
I guess so

>> No.3268536

>>3268530
You're not the boss of me

>> No.3268537

>>3268531
>I did
No, you quite literally did not. Try again, stupid.

>> No.3268539

>>3268537
>the sense of wonder exploring the virtual world, being Mario, toying with the enemies and obstacles, having uncompetitive simple fun. The game's not competitive in its nature. You are though

>> No.3268541

>>3268531
>">you just have this vague idea of how a game should be enjoyed and try to force that idea on other people"
>I guess so
So you admit that the context of the game is subjective?

>> No.3268546

>>3268541
I agreed with the statement you quoted. No idea what you're asking

>> No.3268547

>>3268539
>>the sense of wonder exploring the virtual world, being Mario, toying with the enemies and obstacles, having uncompetitive simple fun.
I already explained that I do all of these things. What about this are you failing to comprehend?

>> No.3268548

>>3268323
Good news anon. There are still a ton of speedrun marathons that are like the earlier editions of GDQ. NSA and ESA come to mind.

>> No.3268550

>>3268547
Nothing. You said I did not say that stuff, so I quoted you where I did

>> No.3268556

>>3268548
There's one going on right now, /midwestspeedfest on twitch.

>> No.3268559

>>3268550
So if I do all of those things, which part of the game do you believe is lost on me?

>> No.3268561

>>3268559
none

>> No.3268567

>>3268561
But I'm a speedrunner, so according to you I can't possibly enjoy the game as it is, right?

>> No.3268569

>>3268567
right

>> No.3268574

>>3268569
Congratulations, you've both contradicted yourself and regressed into childish one word responses.

>> No.3268579

>>3268574
>you've contradicted yourself
Indeed, I have. The problem?

>regressed into childish one word responses
You're asking simple questions, I give simple answers. Don't like them? They're even showing I'm wrong, should be right up your alley. What should I, according to you, answer instead?

>> No.3268583

>>3268567
Not him but I see a shitload of speedrunners who allegedly love the game absolutely shit on it while speedrunning.

So while they may initially enjoy it. I think that speedrunning games actually eventually destroys your original interest since:
>Ya play it too much
>It frustrates the fuck out of you because you hate certain parts of it

I love me some FFT, Demon's Souls, and Sunset Riders (top 3 games all time), but if I play them daily, or hell, even weekly I would start to hate it. I even have Sunset Riders on Arcade. I considered learning how to speedrun it but grinding attempts isn't appealing. I love to play it casually, and don't want to ruin my favorite games for some silly hobby,

>> No.3268586
File: 21 KB, 300x300, 1390315421878.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3268579
Dude, just go to bed. You're not annoying anyone or making anyone mad, you're flooding the thread at best and looking like an idiot at worst.

>> No.3268589

>>3268583
yeah, that one anon's an anecdote. He sure showed me the error of my ways though. Oh well, internet arguments

>> No.3268593

Being indifferent to speedrunning is ok. You can really like video games and not care about it because it's not your type of thing.
But to actually hate speedrunning while claiming to care about video games as a hobby is just horseshit. In fact, you probably have a condescending view of video games. That mere games cannot be taken to a higher level, or should not.

Perhaps do something to fix that ignorance.

>> No.3268594

>>3268586
>You're not annoying anyone or making anyone mad
As if that's my intention. It would go over the head of speedrunners and their followers anyway

>> No.3268597

>>3268579
>Indeed, I have. The problem?
If you're going to make an argument it should at least stay consistent with itself. At least if you intend on having any sort of meaningful conversation.
>What should I, according to you, answer instead?
Nothing, you've already said all that needs to be said. You've fully demonstrated that you're not only a feloniously stupid prick, but also that you're more autistic than any speedrunner could ever dream to be.

>> No.3268604

>>3268593
>you probably have a condescending view of video games
you're probably wrong

>That mere games cannot be taken to a higher level
Some call it a higher level, others call it destruction. I'm in the latter camp. There are ways to further video games, but breaking them does not strike me as very useful

>> No.3268608

>>3268604
Explain how you would further video games

>> No.3268609

>>3268583
>I see a shitload of speedrunners who allegedly love the game absolutely shit on it while speedrunning.
The "i hate this game" meme is a running joke among speedrunners. It's normal to become frustrated with a game when you're speedrunning it, but being frustrated doesn't mean you actually dislike the game. You wouldn't play a game for hundreds and hundreds of hours if you didn't like it.

>> No.3268610

>>3268597
>If you're going to make an argument it should at least stay consistent with itself
It was.

>At least if you intend on having any sort of meaningful conversation
on here? Don't be silly. People are arguing to win, not to have conversations. You gave me an example of not every speedrunner being like I expected it, I accepted your example, and you're still trying to win what ever argument you're having. It's over, man. You won, have fun.

>Nothing, you've already said all that needs to be said
You were asking questions though

>You've fully demonstrated that you're not only a feloniously stupid prick, but also that you're more autistic than any speedrunner could ever dream to be.
Now you're projecting

>> No.3268612

>>3268609

I think that's bullshit.

It may be that way for some people, but I think if you say it enough it starts to become true.

Everyone goes "Kaceytron is a troll lol" but she's been living the girlstreamer life so long that I don't even think she's trolling anymore.

>> No.3268613

>>3268608
if I knew I'd have done so. Well, I do have an idea or two, but idea guys are shitheads, and it's off-topic for here. tl;dr would be more experimentation with passive gameplay, especially in RPGs

>> No.3268619

>>3268612
>I think that's bullshit.
You're free to think that, but you'd be wrong.
>It may be that way for some people, but I think if you say it enough it starts to become true.
Most speedrunners do get bored and stop speedrunning their game eventually. Nobody is denying that. But "hating" your game is literally a speedrunning meme. If you genuinely take a speedrunner seriously when they say their game sucks, you're laughably naive. Do you fall for it when people say "wouldn't it be cool if Samus was a girl?" too?
>Everyone goes "Kaceytron is a troll lol" but she's been living the girlstreamer life so long that I don't even think she's trolling anymore.
She is a troll. That's her gimmick and the entire basis of her stream. It doesn't matter how long she's been doing it.

>> No.3269414

>>3268126
this strawman tho

>> No.3270097

I like the concept of speed running more than the actuality of it most the time. I want to see the game played at the top level. I don't want to see some whiny faggots in a small window somewhere complaining about blaming the game for his fuck up. That's why I tend to like TAS videos more plus most of them add style and flare if it doesn't effect their time.

>> No.3270173
File: 970 KB, 500x281, ROYALTY.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Speed runners are simply put... idiots.

They are wasting their time trying to break records that are most of the time impossible to break, tis the reason why we call them "unbreakable". I'd rather waste time staring at a brick wall then watching them finding a new way to glitch Ocarina of Time or Dark Souls.

>> No.3270180

>>3270173
1. A lot of speedrunners aren't really that concerned with getting world records,
2. Speedrunners usually aren't the ones finding those glitches in the first place.

>> No.3270193

>>3270097
Yeah I think the problem with speedrunners is mostly that they're insufferable retards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CguPESVuZ3Y
This is a really enjoyable TAS run, with the person giving information about what's going on in the run, and has a calm tone and occasional deadpan humor.

I wouldn't mind more like this at all. But watching some mumbly speedrunner talk about how much he hates the game is a stupid waste of time.

>> No.3270472

>>3254807
some are legit good others are attention whores.

some are just shy, very rare do you have an autistic runner tho. And you people overused to the word beyond meaning.

>> No.3271131

>>3270173
>trying to break records that are most of the time impossible to break
this is all kinds of wrong. the vast majority of speedrunners do not attempt to get world records, and most world records are actually very possible to break.

looks like you're the idiot.

>> No.3271135

>>3270193
>watching some mumbly speedrunner talk about how much he hates the game is a stupid waste of time.
speedrunning doesn't exist for the purpose of entertaining non-speedrunners. people seem to be confused about this fact.

it's a hobby that's fun to do, but not really that fun to watch unless you're also a speedrunner..

>> No.3271163

>>3271135
Modern iterations of the GDQ's would disagree with you.

>> No.3271167

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H50nqenYMDM

that's all

>> No.3271172

>>3271167
>that's all
that's what they always promise, and yet, they won't stop speedrunning this time either. Deception is their game, they're evil like that.

>> No.3271173

>>3271163
>GDQs prove that speedrunning exists to entertain non-speedrunners
lmao okay there sparky.

>> No.3271192

>>3270472
>And you people overused to the word beyond meaning.

As expected from underaged anons. What you say is right but that won't stop them from doing that. It's become one of their "favorite memez!"

>> No.3271220

>>3266323
99% of them are weaboos with nip handles

>> No.3271242 [DELETED] 

>>3271220
no, they're actual Japanese people. the reason their names are greyed out is because they were added manually to the speedrun.com leaderboards and don't have accounts. the Japanese have their own leaderboard that they add western runners to as well:

http://www31.atwiki.jp/sm64/pages/13.html

you faggots need to read up on your history before you start making things up. SM64 speedrunning originated in Japan, and it has always been the most competitive speedgame. nobody ran the game in the west until Siglemic showed up.

>> No.3271257

>>3271220
>>3271220
no, they're actual Japanese people. the reason their names are greyed out is because they were added manually to the speedrun.com leaderboards and don't have accounts. the Japanese have their own leaderboard that they add western runners to as well:

http://www31.atwiki.jp/sm64/

you faggots need to read up on your history before you start spewing bullshit. SM64 speedrunning originated in Japan, and it has traditionally been the most competitive speedgame. nobody ran the game in the west until Siglemic showed up.

OOT more recently overcame SM64 in popularity (not by much), but SM64 is still by far the most competitive at top levels, and a massive percentage of the runners, including top runners, are Japanese.

>> No.3271273

>>3271257
>nobody ran the game in the west until Siglemic showed up.
And HE'S the one who needs to read up on his history? Who is
>sicko
>sunjiano

>>3271220
And for your information, weeaboos usually don't actually know Japanese. If they decide to have "nip handles," it'll invariably be romaji, with obnoxious formatting like a tilde or something; not something like "taka12352."

>> No.3271279

>>3271273
>sicko
>jiano
okay, nobody in the west was good at the game until Siglemic showed up. better? i thought this shit went without saying.

the game wasn't popular to speedrun in the west until Siglemic, period.

>> No.3271280

People say /vr/ is full of shitposting but this shit is getting next level.

>> No.3271281

>>3271279
>the game wasn't popular to speedrun in the west until Siglemic, period.
and during the majority of his time running the game, his primary competition (Batora, Nero, and Honey) were Japanese runners.

>> No.3271282

>>3271280
speedrunners, shit is in their genes

>> No.3271302

>>3255228
I laughed at this harder than I should've

>> No.3271441

>>3254807
Fun to watch. If you think the runner is annoying, mute the video or find a no commentary run. I don't see why complaining about people speedrunning is such a huge thing now.

>> No.3271456

>>3271135
We were specifically asked for our opinion of it. He's entitled to state what he thinks and why, it's not like he's going to their youtube channel saying that.

I think it can be cool, but I don't like when it turns into a hacky glitch-fest that was never the intended way to play the game. It can get pretty silly sometimes.

>> No.3271487

I like watching certain speedruns. Some RPG's i dont mind, but others are just too drawn out unless i really feel like watching that particular game. I do kind of hate that it seems like everyone playing certain games on Twitch are JUST speed running it. Sometimes it would be nice to watch someone play through it just a bit more casually.

I like to speedrun Super Mario 64 myself (16 star), because the only real glitch you HAVE to use is backwards long jumping, everything else is just "get stars fast" with a few extra little clipping glitches thrown in. And its easy to do in ~30 minutes, which means I don't have to invest a lot of time into it.

>> No.3271497

I used to watch Zelda speed runs a lot, even though a lot of them are pretty glitch heavy. But I can't get back into it much since the one dude who was fairly consistent at running the games isn't even a dude anymore.

>> No.3271501

>>3271487
>Sometimes it would be nice to watch someone play through it just a bit more casually
But that's not HAAAARRRD

>> No.3271505

>>3271456
>We were specifically asked for our opinion of it. He's entitled to state what he thinks and why,
When did anyone say he wasn't entitled to state what he thinks?
>that was never the intended way to play the game.
the entire basis of speedrunning is to play games in a way that they were not intended to be played (in the form of a time trial.)

if you want to watch games played the way they were intended to be played, watch let's plays. that's what they're for.

>> No.3271508

>>3271505
>if you want to watch games played the way they were intended to be played, watch let's plays. that's what they're for.
If you tried to make a joke, it wasn't funny. If you meant that seriously, it wasn't useful either.

>> No.3271525

>>3271508
I was serious. Why would you watch a speedrun expecting to see someone play a game as intended? Trying to beat a game as fast as possible is not the way the majority of games are intended to be played.

Let's plays are literally about watching people play games in the way they were intended.

>> No.3271539

>>3271497
ZFG is still a dude, and he's always been better than Cosmo.

>> No.3271541

>>3271525
>Why would you watch a speedrun expecting to see someone play a game as intended?
That's not my problem, read what I quoted.

>Let's plays are literally about watching people play games in the way they were intended
They're not. LPs are for retarded commentary and fucking about, and wasting the viewer's time. They're the video equivalent of spam

>> No.3271552

>>3271541
>I don't like when it turns into a hacky glitch-fest
>that was never the intended way to play the game.
yes, I've read what you said. you complained about glitches and games not being played in the way they were intended to be played. speedruns are literally about playing games in a way that is unintended, glitches or no glitches. all of the best speedgames utilize exploits, sequence breaks, and glitches. and even speedgames without these things are being played in a way that was not intended by developers.

>> No.3271557

>>3271552
>you complained about glitches and games not being played in the way they were intended to be played
No idea what you're on about, I posted >>3271501 and >>3271508 and I quoted the parts of posts I was responding to.

>> No.3271560

>>3271557
my bad then, i thought you were this guy: >>3271456

>> No.3271596

I enjoy GDQ, but it's not a hobby I'd like to take up. It seems like there's a lot more productive things I could do with my short life than play one vidya over and over until it's just muscle memory

>> No.3271604 [DELETED] 

>>3271505
I'm the guy who wrote >>3271456.
>When did anyone say he wasn't entitled to state what he thinks?
You just said he seems to be "confused" about its intentions. He wasn't asked about the intentions of speedrunning, he was specifically asked what he thought of them. Now I don't care about whatever response or comeback you think you have to this, as far as I'm concerned his comment was completely fair period.

>the entire basis of speedrunning is to play games in a way that they were not intended to be played (in the form of a time trial.)

Rubbish, that has nothing to do with speedrunning whatsoever. Speedrunning is just about going through the game in as fast a time as possible, it has NOTHING to do with not playing them how they were intended to be played. It doesn't want to play them as they were intended, it doesn't not want that either. Some games look and play like how they're supposed to be played during a speed run except with great skill, many look totally different. Try to be more careful what you say.

>> No.3271612

>>3271604
>as far as I'm concerned his comment was completely fair period.
Nobody claimed that it wasn't.
>Speedrunning is just about going through the game in as fast a time as possible, it has NOTHING to do with not playing them how they were intended to be played.
Playing through games as fast as possible is not (usually) how they were intended to be played, therefore speedrunning is mostly about playing games in a way they weren't intended to be played. How is this confusing?

>> No.3271647

>>3271612
>Playing through games as fast as possible is not (usually) how they were intended to be played, therefore speedrunning is mostly about playing games in a way they weren't intended to be played. How is this confusing?

Technically you're right, but I meant "different" as in doing crazy sorts of rolls or exploiting odd properties about the game that was never a part of the design. yeah I noticed this after making that post, I deleted it but then it was gone from my clipboard when I tried to post it again (I usually automatically copy everything before posting it as a habit in case I lose it). Game developers expect a bit of hurry is possible in every game, noone's going to stick around if there's a faster way of doing the same thing.

>> No.3271653 [DELETED] 

>>3271647
So what speedgames are you interested in specifically? I can't think of any interesting or skilled speedgames that don't exploit the engine in some way.

>> No.3271656
File: 2.13 MB, 540x360, VCwallkicks.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3271647
>>3271647
So what speedgames are you interested in specifically? I can't think of any interesting or skilled speedgames that don't exploit the engine in some way. Tech that allows you to go faster is one of the best parts about speedrunning, in my opinion.

>> No.3271685

>>3254807
tool assisted speedrunners don't impress me

>> No.3272297
File: 111 KB, 599x617, v mister trihex.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.3272379

>>3266738
Once someone gets a 4:56 he's off to tranny land

>> No.3274905

>>3257684
where do you find chicks like this?

>> No.3274930

>>3274905

Outside.

>> No.3277010

>>3254807
speedrunning is gaming for the kiddy-coke addicted generation.

>> No.3277019

>>3277010
Metroid, the first game that rewards the player for speedrunning, came out in 1986. Your claim is bullshit.

>> No.3277026

>>3277019
well, didn't say that playing a game fast was a new concept but speedrunning everything because you haven't learned to lay back is

>> No.3277032

I used to watch this Japanese guy's Youtube channel way back when they used stars for voting. He speed ran Tomb Raider, Hitman and a few other games IIRC and he had lots of videos of him sea fishing.

God I wish I remembered what his channel was if it's even around still that is.

>> No.3277074

>>3271441
It's just a few people shitposting, most people either enjoy speedruns or just ignore it.

>> No.3277076

>>3255228
>implying I didn't put in my butt hole

Get on my level, faggots

>> No.3277131

>>3277026
>speedrunning everything because you haven't learned to lay back is
i guess you'll be happy to learn that speedrunners do play games outside of speedrunning, AND enjoy it.

i know this is a strange concept for some of you.

>> No.3277142

>>3277131
liar they have autism and it makes them only play one game

>> No.3277338

On one hand, I think it is amazing that someone can dissect a game to such a level where it can be perfectly played in a way the developers of the game would have never thought possible. The recent perfect Mario 1 speed run was amazing to watch. It's wonderful to see someone perfect a game. I really don't care for speed runs that involve glitches; I prefer games being played to perfection.

On the other hand, it is such a useless skill to work on. It involves no one but the individual, it is sedentary, it doesn't build a skill that could help the speedrunner in anyway except for some Twitch dollars. The amount of effort and the thousands of hours spent on one single game seems like such a waste of life. Video games are supposed to be an escape from reality and, while some of the speed run games are beautiful to watch, it's just such a time sink.

Think of how good a speed runner could be at something that would be worthwhile. 10,000 hours on ONE n64 game or 10,000 hours learning a musical instrument, or learning to run or swim, or learning an entire subject on Khan Academy.

It's just a fucking waste

>> No.3277345

>>3277338
i think you wasted a lot of time on this post calling the kettle black you stupid autist retard leftist faggot.

>> No.3277353

>>3277345
my fucking sides

>> No.3277360

>>3254831

the guy that speedruns megaman x games seems pretty ripped

>> No.3277362

>>3277360
yeah but he abused the fuck out of steroids and his dick shriveled up. his ex leaked pics of it online, pretty funny desu

>> No.3277364

>>3277338
>The recent perfect Mario 1 speed run was amazing to watch.
>I really don't care for speed runs that involve glitches
SMB1 speedruns utilize multiple glitches. You're retarded aren't you?

>> No.3277367

>>3277362
Calebhart?

Lol I believe it.

People seem to forget but he had -insane- tantrums on stream in the early years. He's broken probably a dozen controllers.

Also he's "ripped" by nerd standards. People think Trihex is big when he's literally just nigger genetics thin.

It's pathetic. If you walked into any gym you'd see guys who are actually big but because this guys a video game like us :^) he's considered massive.

>> No.3277383
File: 108 KB, 270x266, medi.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3260803

>> No.3277835

>>3277338
>10,000 hours on ONE n64 game
nobody spends that much time on speedrunning dude. you're severely overstating the effort involved.

>> No.3277874

who here likes games

>> No.3277898

who here likes medievil

>> No.3278126

>>3277874
No one. They like to shitpost and complain instead

>> No.3278141

I like speedruns, and even video games, of all types. Except for this new meme where people play Touhou games by bombing through bosses and calling that a speedrun. That shit is awful.

>> No.3278389

>>3256728
Late reply, but here I go.

>audio commentaries are not needed either
I agree that they are usually not needed, but they can be interesting and helpful. The runners are usually doing a lot of things that you might not notice, and if they do any weird glitches it helps to know what the fuck is going on.
They also make it less boring to watch when nothing is going on.

>No glitches. It completely ruins the thing.
Why? Glitches are really interesting to me most of the time. I like to see how games can be broken and how that factors into a speedrun. They're usually pretty hard to perform as well.
There are some glitches that can ruin games or just make it boring, but not every glitch is like that.
What about if you abuse a glitch accidentally? Where is the line between weird design choice and glitch? It isn't clear, and there's no room for subjectivity here.

>100% runs
You aren't entirely clear here, do you exclusively watch 100% or do you avoid 100%? Either way, why? What about games that have no 100%?

>Hope to see some neat tricks (not glitches) or masterful play. It doesn't have to be a perfect no damage play, but it's even better if the speedrunner achieves that.
Sadly, most of the time the optimal run involves taking damage to skip past shit. I'd love to see play that is both graceful and fast, as well.