[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 33 KB, 300x268, Super_Mario_Land_2_box_art.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3240540 No.3240540 [Reply] [Original]

What do you think of this game? I've seen people refer to it as the most underrated Mario game, and I've even heard of people calling it one of the best Mario games.

>> No.3240558

I have a lot of nostalgia for it, but I'd say it's a pretty big stretch to call it the best. It's certainly well made for being a slower, floatier take on Mario. The amount of variety between worlds, along with secret levels/paths is quite admirable. Definitely worth emulating or picking up on the eShop.

>> No.3240596

It's a crazy step towards console quality Mario games when compared to SML1. I honestly prefer the first one for its simplicity and straightforwardness, but 2 is definitely the more polished of the two. The leap is similar to SMB1 -> SMB3.

All of that being said, I find SML2 to be too slow, and relatively uninteresting, overall.

>> No.3240694

This game ruled my childhood and I want even a super huge Mario fan. Lots of memorable tunes, great level variety and as a little kid the bosses really kind of freaked me the fuck out. This was also before I knew who wario was, and going to the main castle and seeing this fat huge creepy-eyed fuck who continuously stomped my ass was almost a little traumatizing. Also lots of minigame and secrets. Definitely over rated. Better than classic Mario, floaty like smb2 (nes) and definitely the trickiest bosses. I've always thought the boss STAGES of Mario games were challenging, but the bosses were always baby-shit. Buy it, collect the 6 coins, put them in the wall, then get on your knees to have wario dig for gold I. Your throat with his dick while he wears bunny ears.

Also, biggest thing about this game is you can select any world you want to start at.l from the beginning.

>> No.3240702

>>3240694

Wasn't* not want

And other typos too fuck it, trying to push out this loaf and type my childhood memories.

>> No.3240705

>>3240540
I'd totally call it an underrated Mario game. It's not the best Mario game ever but considering it was an original game boy game it was most certainly impressive for its time. I found that SML 1 was kind of weird but SML 2 refined a lot of aspects. Definitely a staple for the Game Boy and one of the best games on the platform.

>> No.3240712

>>3240540
Great game but the spites are a little huge.

>> No.3243269

Pretty shitty platforming in all honesty.

>> No.3243290

>>3240540
Great game on the Gameboy and introduced one of the best characters in the Mario universe: Wario.

>> No.3243307
File: 9 KB, 251x202, thumbs-up.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3240540
I feel that Super Mario Land 3 is a much better game, familia.

>> No.3243424

Quirky, unique, lovable. I wish more Mario games were as daring.

>> No.3244929

The platforming itself certainly wasn't on par with SMB3 or SMW, but it was decent enough, it had tons of secrets, fairly good boss fights for a Mario game, imaginative and memorable enemy design, and the difficulty spike once you enter Wario's castle is grade a trolling.

The /best/ 2D Mario? Not really.

An incredibly fun to play 2D Mario?

Definitely.

>> No.3244952

>>3240540
It's my favourite mario game.

>> No.3244957

>>3243307
Wario land 2 is top Wario game

>> No.3244992

>>3244929
>the difficulty spike once you enter Wario's castle is grade a trolling.
Ha ha, as a kid I couldn't believe how much harder the final level was compared to the rest of the game. Even now it's still a little tricky.

What a funky tune though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-8VClCr_IU

Gotta love that Totaka.

>> No.3245074

>>3240540

My favorite Mario game on the game boy

>> No.3245137

Thank you for reminding me this game. Never finished it when i younger.

>> No.3245162

>>3243424
normally they pushed that to the Mario RPGs

makes me wish for a Wario RPG

>> No.3245346

>>3240540
Best Gameboy platformer

>> No.3245356

>>3240540
My favorite Mario right under, or even beside Mario 64.

>> No.3245523

>>3243424
>this
I can't agree more. also I feel like this also extends to the original super mario land, but that's just me.

>> No.3245652
File: 20 KB, 1280x745, bleh.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Honestly, I always disliked it, even as a kid. Sure, graphics are high quality, level themes are unique, the music is nice, and I like how they added the spin jump.

But I find only the first level fun. The rest have either really boring level design or, due to the large sprites, can't tell how far or where you're supposed to jump.

>> No.3245716

My experience:

I'm guessing the game must be fun to play on the actual machine, I tried emulating SML1 the other day (played half the game) and SML2 today (because of this topic, got one coin).

They are ok, but infinitely inferior compared to any title in the home consoles, they certainly bored me, I almost felt them as generic, while that never happened to me with SMB1-3, World 1 & 2, SM64 and Sunshine, all of them were magical, the GB games didn't give that feeling (emulated again, maybe in the gameboy is better).

Actually I had SML3 and played it in GBA, it was fun and a better experience, but still, nothing too memorable for me.

>> No.3246124

>>3240540
This was literally one of my favorite gameboy games. I got it for christmas in 92'. I finished this game so many times.. Only other gameboy games I enjoyed more were the final fantasy legend series. But SML2 was by far my favorite platformer on the gameboy.

>> No.3246676

>>3245523
To some extent, I agree too.
Come to think of it, SML and SML2 are pretty much the only "brilliantly weird" mainline 2D platformer games. Everything else before and after were pretty much the same grassland-desert-caves-castle-save-the-princess soup we've seen a billion times.

>> No.3246848

I remember playing this in a diner on a full sized game boy when I was about six.

Good times.

>> No.3247037

I actually prefer to Gameboy Donkey Kong to this.

>> No.3247043

>>3243307
>>3244957
Gotta go with these.

Mario is best on the consoles. Wario owns the handhelds.

>> No.3248024

>>3240540
Literally a must buy for any GB owner.

Also this has to be one of the top 10 best video game covers of all times.

>> No.3248079

This game is one of my all-time nostalgia bomb games, it's my first Game Boy game, practically my first game of my own, and probably my most-played GB games.

I love me some Mario Land 2. Here's a great little gem, the original website for Super Mario Land 2. In Japanese, of course.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/n02/dmg/l6j/

>> No.3248449

>>3245716
Now days it might feel that way to someone but I remember getting it brand new and was blow away at the time. I recently replayed it fully and still loved it.
I admit now it feels diff to me but I still loved it just the same it was just nice to have a good mario game for the time when we was starving for mario games.
And it gave us wario so it ain't all that bad.
But as a 10 year old that shit blew my fucking mind.

>> No.3248478

Great game. A lot of variety, yet still very simple and clear-cut.

>> No.3248498

mario land 1-2 was a weird departure from previous mario games but they are awesome, i fuckin get so nostalgic about these i had mario land 1 and my cousin had mario land 2 and i had a fuckin temper tantrum like a little bitch

>> No.3250924

>>3240694
This is about how I feel. I was heavy into this game when I was 5, 6, and 7 years old. I found so many secrets by accident. Great music, gameplay, and level variety.

>> No.3251663

Played it a lot at the time, enjoyed it.

Doesn't hold up too well IMO. Zoomed in too far, panning takes too long, physics are slow. Music is borderline atonal.

SML is better at being a SMB1 core platformer (despite shitty physics) and WL1 has better gameplay, as far as monochrome-only games go. Donkey Kong (1994) is 10x more fun to play, even if a different style of game.

Wario Land II kicks its ass if we allow backwards-compatible GBC games, and Super Mario Brothers Deluxe outclasses it in nearly every way if we allow GBC-only games.

>> No.3251673
File: 74 KB, 637x877, mario-land-2-beta.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I WANT TO PLAY THE VERSION OF THE MARIO LAND 2 WITH A DIFFERENT MAP.

I want to play a Super Mario Land 2 prototype with the different map screen. I'm curious where this magazine got their photos, if they were distributed by Nintendo themselves, from a promo VHS, or if they were directly photographed from a prototype cart. This game has an air of mystery for me (probably in part because I vaguely remember playing it a little bit on a demo unit as a kid in a Toys R Us) so I find the idea of a prefinal prototype to be incredibly fascinating.