[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 767 KB, 960x540, ocarina of time.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3209430 No.3209430 [Reply] [Original]

This is an all-purpose thread for sharing thoughts on critically acclaimed classic games that you have played for the very first time recently. I'm always interested in hearing people's thoughts on a game with a modern, unbiased perspective. For example, if you played Ocarina of Time recently, what did you think of it knowing its legacy yet having no personal attachment to it?

I missed out on the PS1 era, for instance, so I've been going back and playing some of the classics that made the system. I played Tomb Raider 1 for the first time this year and I actually greatly appreciated it for what it was. sure, the control scheme is very clunky, but in a way that is what made it appealing to me, because it required a complete mastery of the controls that modern games nowadays don't do, since they are so automated.

What classic games have you played for the first time recently? What did you think?

>> No.3209568

>>3209430
Maybe not the most obvious of games to come to mind when discussing "critically acclaimed classic games" but I picked up Goldeneye for the N64 for the first time earlier this year.

Never played it before, but I had played other "retro fps" like Half Life, Doom and Quake.

Honestly it's a blast. The controls nearly gave me a hernia at first, at least while I was trying different control schemes trying to feel out which one was best (ended up sticking with default).

4-player splitscreen was an awesome experience as well, especially playing with others who haven't touched an N64 since it was basically new, I may have actually piqued my friends interested in retro gaming with this one.

>> No.3209643

>>3209430
I played Ocarina of Time for the first time last year, and it's one of my favorite games of all time, easily.

>> No.3209679

>>3209568
>GoldenEye

There was (and presumably is) a plugin for Project64 that offered keyboard and mouse control for a bunch of games, including GoldenEye. Granted it's a totally different way of playing it, and doesn't work perfectly, but I really enjoyed it. I 00'd the game on console as a kid, and then again with the mod. Highly recommended, if you're interested.

>>3209430
I played through the original F-Zero for the first time, recently. I had played as a kid, but it was too hard for me. I really enjoy it. I know a lot of people here like X the best, but the first one is so perfectly simple. It's still hard as shit, too. So few games rely on you playing the same level until you know it perfectly and can do it perfectly that it was a nice change. More of an arcade feel, in some ways. Definitely a welcome change from strictly linear games with save systems, where, if you get stuck on a part you just bang your head against it until you break through. F-Zero (and Super Mario Kart, which I'm playing now) make no distinction between practice and progress, and that's super refreshing.

>> No.3209687

>>3209430

I played System Shock 1 for the first time at Christmas. Got the enhanced edition during the sale. It's one of the few games I've played in the last few years that made me feel like a kid again. Weird thing is I don't care for SS2 or any of the Bioshock games. It has an amazing soundtrack, the exploration is terrific and surprisingly it has some of the best gun feedback I've ever seen, in the sense the guns just feel really good to fire, esp the magnum.

>> No.3209910

>>3209430
Played OoT first time about 2y ago?
Didnt finish, but had lots of fun, have to replay it someday.
Got stuck in two places, Dark Link being first, cheesed him with fire after some hints from /vr/.
Second being that I couldnt fint the eye of truth thingy, and when realized that Shadow Temple had invisible platforms. I decided that it wasnt worth doing it trial and error and I wont proceed without an Eye.
I tried to play legit, no states(besides one time when I had to race the time to get hammer, felt like shit afterwards), no solutions, just me.

It was great.

Kinda weird how you cant jump whenever you want(if I remember correctly) because it was tied to action button, but I got a hang of it pretty fast.

Also played Bad Mojo few months back, had great time. Idea, gameplay, story, all that was superb. I got stuck with combination for blowing up the fuses, wish game would hive some hint, like 'look around for numerical combinations in the background you idiot! Certain combination repeats over and over throughout all locations!'
But no, I couldn't figure it out and had to use solution. Bittersweet victory.

Played Outrun few days ago. Dont really understand whats the risk/reward of different courses. Interesting game, but not really my style?

Savescummed my way throu Ecco the Dolphin just to kinda experience it. Great music, too difficult for me to play normally, graphics are fine.
Gameplay feels alien and weird. Wheres always this uncertainty. I always felt at edge. The story is all kinds of weird, but works.
Welcome to the machine.

>> No.3209918

Played Earthbound for the first time 2 years ago. I totally get the hype. Shows that RPG's don't have to be anime bullshit. Probably in my top 10 now.

>> No.3209970
File: 122 KB, 250x308, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I ran through Sonic CD for the first time two days ago and got all the good futures after completely dropping the game as a kid in the second zone. Now that I've played with the proper soundtrack and a good grasp of the mechanics, I absolutely loved it. The time travel gimmick gives you a real incentive to explore, and while navigating Sonic in confined spaces in the later levels can be an absolute chore, the level design and especially the beautiful zone backgrounds more than made up for the slight control issues. I'm already looking forward to my next playthrough

>> No.3210054

Played MGS yesterday, it fucking sucked.

>> No.3210075

I am 32, never owned a Genesis, but have bought all the Genesis Sega classics for 3DS.

Ecco the Dolphin and Streets of Rage 2 are real 10/10 games, I love both and have beaten them many times since I bought them.
Although from what I have read on the internet, many people hate the controls of Ecco and the game makes them feel very tense.

Shinobi III is also very good, but I find the game quite easy too, I play it in the hardest difficulty and it barely feels any different in comparison to normal.

Sonic 2 is great, except that airplane level with Tails as pilot. Sonic 1 I found utterly mediocre.

I found the first Streets of Rage to be very ugly, as in, graphics look in between gens, and nowhere near as good as 2. Great music though.

>> No.3210080

Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness

How the fuck did we put up with these shitty camera controls? This is terrible. I honestly don't have the patience to even get through the first little area. I enjoy the first N64 Castlevania game a LOT more.

>> No.3210125
File: 71 KB, 423x698, 1418733699.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3209430
I played Majora's Mask for the first time last week and it was an incredible experience.

I'm kind of happy that I took my time to play it because if I had played it when I was a kid or a teen I wouldn't have appreciated it as much as I did. I wouldn't have thought of how some ideas in that game are mindblowingly creative. The whole time traveling mechanic and it affecting the characters and your victories, the aspect ratio thingy, the implicit relations between npcs and items... And I also think I wouldn't have noticed the humor behind a lot of the stuff, for instance, I'm a huge fan of campy sci fi movies from the 50's, so when that "aliens stealing cows" part came up I had a huge smile on my face.
Also, so many NPCs were memorable even if they reused assets from OoT.
>those funny ass skeletons in the graveyard
>the girl from the treasure minigame that loves Gorons
>the weirdo stalking the Zora's singer
>Tingle's relationship with his dad
and so on...
And I can't forget to mention my favorite moment: A cave in the middle of nowhere with two cows inside of it (?).

It's crazy to think that this game was somehow made in a rush and was supposed to be the sequel to what's one of the most praised games ever.
It's such a unique game with so much love behind of it.

>> No.3210138

I didn't play the first System Shock until 2008. Which, in context, is pretty recent.

The only stumbling block in that game is its controls. Once you have those down, the game is timeless.

>> No.3210156

>>3210075
>sonic 1 is mediocre
GTFO

>> No.3210205

>>3209430
Resident Evil 2 last year, the first time I played 30 minutes and did quit, the second time I tried it months later I beated it in 2 days (both discs).

I got into RE with the REmaster, I know is not retro, but got me to play RE2, 3 and CV (and the /v/ shit that came after even).

>> No.3210447

I played Doom for the first time last week.

I rather enjoyed the game, and was impressed with the graphics. Up until I played, I kinda just thought Doom was just Wolfenstein with demons.
While I've had a real blast playing, I keep getting murdered by the bruiser brothers, so I took a break.

>> No.3211012

>>3209910
>I couldnt fint the eye of truth thingy
Really? I know people like to say that old games were needlessly cryptic at times, but I'm pretty sure Ocarina of Time points you directly towards the lens of truth. Of course, if you're a whippersnapper, you might not realize the importance of talking to random NPCs...

>> No.3211030

>>3211012
Not that guy, but
Though the game does make clear that the Eye of Truth is under the well, it's not made clear that you need to get it BEFORE you enter the Shadow Temple. Similarly, it's obviously not possible to get it until you've become an adult and got the Song of Storm, so if you don't go back in time once you become an adult, then you're going to miss it by the time you get to the Shadow Temple..

>> No.3211040

>>3209430
>What classic games have you played for the first time recently?
Played super metroid for the first time about three years back. Didn't care for it desu. I could see myself really liking the game if I played it when I was ten back in the snes days but I couldn't get immersed in its 2d world as an adult. I thus couldn't care for its exploration value which is the main thing it has going for it. While the gameplay is solid, there's just absolutely no challenge to it and ultimately the mechanics are pretty dull. Unchallenging mechanically dull games are justice my thing. Dropped it, gonna call the game overrated and be done with it.

>> No.3211042

>>3211040
*just not my thing
Dumb phone

>> No.3211045

>>3210447
>I keep getting murdered by the bruiser brothers,
How is that even possible? You retarded m8?

>> No.3211090
File: 48 KB, 256x186, The_Legend_of_Zelda_A_Link_to_the_Past_SNES_Game_Cover[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

It's funner than OoT.

>> No.3211158

>>3211045
Gee thanks

No, I just keep getting swamped with their plasma fire.

>> No.3211160

>>3211158
Circlestrafe, bitch ass nigga

More importantly though, go back and get the rocket launcher secret in E1M3 or E1M4

>> No.3211301

>>3211160
I actually did nab that.

The reload is so long though that I usually wind up just going full retard with the minigun though.

>> No.3212445

>>3211301

What the fuck

The damage on the chaingun is shit, it's just a faster pistol. How do you even get hit by the plasma? It's sauce as Snapple bitch as frapple.

>> No.3212451

I have been playing Pac Man museum on PSN

Truthfully most of these games are pretty balls compared to PM and Mrs PM, but I am developing a whole new appreciation for those two as I struggle to git gud

>> No.3212537

>>3210125
>the aspect ratio thingy,

Uh, what aspect ratio thing?

Also, did you play the original or 3D remake? That's actually better imo, aside from the boss fights and Ice Arrows not freezing all water..

>> No.3212995

I'm going play and hopefully complete Dkc 2 today. Loved dk1.

>> No.3212998

>>3210447
Did you ever play doom rpg? I played it on phone in like 2007 that's really good doom game

>> No.3213221

>>3212998
Nope, I wonder if it's still available.

>> No.3213231

Playing through Klonoa right now, loving every minute of it. Way better than Crash and Spyro.

>> No.3213247

>>3209430
bup

>> No.3213381

I played FFVI (FF3 SNES) late. Played it about 4 years ago for the first time. I was fucking shocked when it turned out to be better than FFVII imo

>> No.3213385

>>3211090
2d pixel shit

>> No.3213393

>>3209430
I'm playing through Majora's Mask for the first time, two years after completing Ocarina of Time.

I'd heard this was better than Ocarina a few times, but they weren't kidding. The game's significantly more interesting and engaging. There's a sense of weight to it you don't have with any other Zelda game, and it just feels so much more mature in general. I love having to plan out what you have to do as well; a limited amount of time and having to plan out what you do really brings out Miyamoto's original inspiration for Zelda, which was when he used to go out exploring in the woods as a child.

Also, the mask transformations allowed them to do away with multiple, impractical items (iron boots, for one) and meld them into one useful entity instead. Surprisingly good as a game.

>> No.3213401

I was playing the Blood Omen but it has been a while

Ended up not knowing where to go after getting the ability to transform into mist, there is a marsh with constant poison after a longass river that you cant get through without burning a lot of lives, and a path to the east that I dont remember where it lead to, it was all after escaping form the armor dude in the winter castle

>> No.3213414

I played Suikoden and Suikoden II 2 years ago. I was really impressed by it.

To be fair, many games I could only try as soon as emulation was possible because I never owned an SNES and couldn't afford most games up until the ps2 came out.

I also played and beat FFVII for the first time not long ago. I already played it when I was a kid but I barely understood how it worked because I wasn't too much into RPGs. Another one I can think of beating more recently was Dragon Quest V.

>> No.3213434

>>3209430
Played Castlevania for the first time about 2 weeks ago. NES wasn't popular in the place I live so I didn't have the chance to experience it as a kid.

I didn't finish it and could get past the grim reaper only once because of holy water. Actually, without holy water I can't even kill Frankenstein. Hell, I do have trouble even killing the bone serpents just before him without holy water. I hate when mobs drop items that replace my holy water. Did I say holy water?

So far I'm enjoying it. The music is good and the gameplay is simple yet challenging. Really, I was kinda missing this kind of game. No stat distribution, no exploration, no collectibles (kinda), no useless dialogue, just get from point A to B pressing just A and B destroying everything.

Seeing orange/brown gets tiring though.

>> No.3213474

OoT. Never played it before but I love 2D zelda, thought that it was finally time and I picked it up for the 3ds.

It was pretty boring and I ended up dropping it in the forest dungeon with the ghosts. I don't like it, it just seemed like I was strolling around doing jackshit instead of exploring dungeons, and when I got inside a dungeon it was simple and easy. It seemed to me like one of those games that I could realy get into when I was a child, but not anymore.

Also played recently super ghouls and goblins, what a fucking blast. Still stuck in the water with the lifeboat, but I'm enjoying every second.

>> No.3213480

>>3209430
>modern, unbiased perspective
oxymoron

>> No.3213532

>>3213474
The dungeons don't start getting cool or interesting until the very dungeon you quit on

Majora is better though

>> No.3213746

>>3209910
Biggoron Sword fucks Shadow Link's shit

>> No.3213978

>>3213746
I didnt get it.
I didnt even know it existed back then.
I still dont know what exact steps to get it are, and thats fine.
When I'll pick OoT up again, I'll figure it out by myself.
Or not, thats also a possibility.

>> No.3214073

>>3213978
I never understood this. I understand initially being stuck on a part you can't figure out but after a certain point, just look it the fuck up and move on.

>> No.3214137

>>3214073
I find it ultimately more satisfying figuring shit out myself than looking it up first opportunity I have.

When I got stuck on DLink, I asked /vr/ for some hints, because I wanted to do it as much myself as I could. He seemed to take damage but just didn't want to die. So, I asked some yes/no questions around, put up some hypotheses and asked if I was wrong or right. This way I deduced that he had same health as me, how many times I have to hit him, stuff like that.
Then I asked if there is a way to regenerate magic to cheeze him with fire spell, and someone pointed out mana potions in the store I completely forgot about because I had no need for them before. It was satisfying getting the puzzle complete piece by piece, even tho I needed someone to point out that one or two things were out of place. Looking it up would be someone coming in and solving puzzle for me. Thats not fun. I wanted to have fun with it, not just complete it for the sake of completion.

Problem is, internet doesnt offer hints, it offers solutions.
I wanted a hint.

>> No.3214207

I've been playing the original Legend of Zelda on my 3DS. I thought I would have as hard a time with it that I did with Adventure of Link. Surprisingly, it hasn't been too hard. Actually, it feels difficult, but reasonably so. I did end up looking up how to get all of those Moblin rupees because I had no patience to grind up my money for the Blue Ring, but other than that I haven't had to look up anything yet. The layout of the map is really fun and exploring it is great.

So far, I'd give it a 9/10.

>> No.3214216

I played ocarina of time recently and I didn't like it. I grew up on ps1 games and a lot of what the n64 did confuse me admittedly.
I'm not a big zelda fan but I do remember enjoying a link to the past and link's awakening.
I just think that top down view is what zelda is and the 3d was disorienting.
My favorite 3d zelda as a non zelda fan is wind waker though.

>> No.3214224

>>3213474
I agree with this. 2d zeldas just had more challenging dungeons. I feel like the 3d ones are just gimmicks because it incorporates the 3d environment to solve the dungeon, and unfortunately suffers as being easier as a result.

>> No.3214250

>>3214224
I agree that OoT dungeons were easier than I expected(at least ones I played throu), but I wouldnt count that as a negative per se.
I found every one of them different and interesting. I was skeptic as to HOW exactly they would incorporate rooms and riddles into 3D in comparison to LoZ1 on NES, but I think the way they've done it was good.
At least I had fun.

>> No.3214285

>>3214216
>the 3d was disorienting
lmao

>> No.3214295

>>3214285
It is an early 3d game though. Like I said didn't grow up with n64 and a lot of their stuff confuses me unlike ps1 games.

And yes some people get disoriented at the dumbest shit I'm aware.

>> No.3214329

>>3214295
Yeah I get it. It's like how 90% of the world couldn't figure out the camera in SM64 when I personally had zero issues and remain baffled that anyone could find such a trivially easy mechanic difficult to use. I think I have above average spatial awareness or some shit.

>> No.3214498

>>3209430
Just played through OoT and MM like 2 months ago for the first time. Honestly, they were clunky shit with trivially easy puzzles and combat. MM at least had a really unique mechanic going for it with the repeating time aspect, although the implementation could've been a hell of a lot less tedious with the playing the song of time over and over to get to key events.

>> No.3214901

I played through OoT for the first time a few years ago. I've been a Zelda fan for a long time so it was a long time coming.

That shit blew me away! As far as I'm concerned it's basically the perfect Zelda game. Because I'd played the other 3D Zeldas after it, it felt like Ocarina of Time was a more refined and focused version of the formula.

The combat has been improved in subsequent Zeldas and the framerate is sometimes problematic and never great, but those are pretty small complaints.

>> No.3215092

>>3209430
I've actually played OoT and MM recently and being completely honest, I straight up didn't enjoy them. MM was a bit more enjoyable but not by much. The whole thing for me was I had trouble getting over how much empty space there was, I mean I don't fault the games but the whole experience felt very hollow. Meanwhile I love Twilight Princess as it was the first one I played so I dunno. I honestly feel bad about not liking them but what are you gonna do

>> No.3215230

>>3209687
I started SS1 (enhanced) recently and it was really enjoyable. Combat is fun, and it is quite comfy just exploring the ship grooving to techno. I thought I wouldn't enjoy the graphics or dated mechanics but both are not a problem. It's like SS2 but not scary and a lot more fun

>> No.3215249
File: 101 KB, 256x189, Mega_Man_X_Coverart.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Mega Man X. Been about 2 years now since I played it I think, but I still don't really get why people like it that much.

It feels sluggish and floaty versus the NES Mega Man games. I'm up for change, but it mechanically didn't add anything that seemed to justify it. Maybe the wall jumps? But some Mario games have wall jumps as well while still retaining the same feel to the character's weight/movement.

For awhile I was wondering if people were more awed by its presentation. Like, maybe it was one of their first 16-bit games? Iit looks good for an early SNES title but apparently it's a late 1993 release, which is pretty far along in the system's life.

I've asked those same friends on some thoughts but I pretty much just get "Well, it's because you didn't grow up with it." For me, that's a pretty unsatisfying answer.

I'd be curious to hear anyone's thoughts about why MMX considered a classic.

>> No.3215250

>>3213381
I had a similar reaction when I played V. It was so much better than VI.

>> No.3215339

>>3215249
How far did you get? The upgrades and being able to revisit stages is awesome. And the jumping feels fine to me, maybe you just don't click with it

As far as 1993 goes, a lot of people didn't get an SNES until around then, especially if your family was an early adopter of Sega

>> No.3215409

>>3215249
>It feels sluggish and floaty versus the NES Mega Man games
The physics in the X series are damn near perfect imo. I see where you're coming from, though.

>> No.3215424

>>3215339
I beat it, but I'm usually a one and done kind or guy with play throughs, so replaying levels wouldn't do much for me. I don't think I got all the upgrades but I felt like most of the ones I got retread similar ground to the NES games. So yeah, maybe just a combinations of a lot of little things that make it miss for me.

I ended up playing Zero later on GBA and, while I didn't think it controlled better, I did like the focus on melee weapons a lot. Thought it was pretty refreshing take. Maybe I'll get the ps2 collection for X and see if I just get used to it over the series of games.

Thanks for the response. Good to hear something that isn't just "well you don't have nosatalgia for it."

>> No.3215450
File: 35 KB, 338x305, 1462836049601.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3215424

>One and done

No offense man but that's pleb as hell

>> No.3215470

>>3215450
Yeah, maybe I'll come back to it later. I think I'd rather explore X2-X5 first if I'm going to play more of the series.

>> No.3215475

>>3215470

Honestly 2 and 3 are the highlight of the series for me, and many many love X4 also, so you'll be in for a fun time. X5 isn't bad either, it's just after 5 that X turned to poo

>> No.3215478

>>3213393
Eh. I've tried playing through MM like three times and every time I dropped it. I hate that game but love OoT. Don't dig it at all.

>> No.3215489

>>3215475
Maybe seeing how it evolved and came into it's own might help me understand X more.

I'm curious about X7 for my own reasons, but have no real expectations of it being a good game.

>> No.3215507

>>3215489

Well I hate to tell you but, X6 and X7 are almost unplayable, but I'll let you figure out why for yourself.

>> No.3215513

>>3215507
Yeah. I know this going into it. I'm someone who tends to play a lot of average/bad games.

>> No.3215558

>>3215424
You actually do get a lot of different interesting effects depending on when you beat the levels. Go play Flame Mammoth before and after you beat Chill Penguin for example. Plus the upgrades change a lot of the game.

>> No.3215574

>>3213221
You can but it's java game for like old school Sony walkman phones and alike. I think there's a java app for Android available that let's you play the old phone games, if there's Scumm emus then there's definitely app out there. Loved doom rpg it's well worth the hassle getting for it up and running

>> No.3215639

>>3215507
Not that anon. Can you tell me why?

>> No.3215640

>>3209430
>>3209430
it just me or does Link look HUGE in that picture?

>> No.3216269

>>3215640
Perspective.

>> No.3216280
File: 40 KB, 400x377, PaperM1432684519632.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Played Paper Mario for the first time recently, easily one of the best games I've played in a long while, absolutely fantastic.

>> No.3216301

>>3215639
I figured I wouldn't ask for details since this is /vr/ and X7/X8 are PS2 games. Not super sure how strict that enforcement is here.

>> No.3216308

>>3216280
Love this game. It's just the right length too so it's a breeze to replay. I like TTYD a little better but even I have to admit there are some parts where the pacing is kinda slow. The original Paper Mario doesn't suffer from any of that.

>> No.3216309

>>3216280
I'd love to play Paper Mario some time.
I remember I watched one of my friends play through the whole thing when he rented it when it came out. Also remember when he faught bowser at the end, that theme for his 2nd form was awesome.
We were weird in that there were certain games where one of us would play and the other would watch.

>> No.3216319

Some GB/GBC games I've played for the first time in the last year:

>Mega Man III, IV, V
If I'd have known these games were actually different from the NES ones and much more challenging I'd have started them a long time ago. Mega Man V is fucking amazing.
I beat the first and second ones 10 years ago so I never bothered buying them on the 3DS eShop.

>Lufia: The Legend Returns
Once I started this one I just couldn't bring myself to stop playing, it was all I could think about when I was at work. Great soundtrack, nice story, the battle system and skill system is very unique. I highly recommend this to anyone who hasn't played it.

>Pokémon Puzzle Challenge
It's Tetris Attack/Panel de Pon/Pokémon Puzzle League, but on the go. Lots of fun if you liked those games.

>Zelda:Links Awakening
I actually got about 1/4 through and stopped playing. I can say it's really good though. I might just start a new file soon, I completely forget where I was and what I was doing.

>Mega Man Xtreme
This one is a lot of fun. Takes a while to get used to at first though, since the screen is small, and the controls seem a little twitchy. If you like Mega Man X, you'll like this.
>Mega Man Xtreme 2
Things were actually improved quite a bit from the first one, and you can use Zero! Wait...could you use Zero in the first one? I don't remember.

I feel like I'm leaving a couple out, haven't played my 3DS in a while.
If anyone would like to make some good GB/GBC recommendations to buy on the eShop, that'd be great.

>> No.3216324

>>3209430

I recently completed FF1 and Suikoden 2. I found FF1 to be a lot of fun and Suikoden 2 to be amazing.

>> No.3216428

As a kid I played Phantasy Star 2 and 3, and many years later, Phantasy Star Online. I enjoyed all of them.

About ten years after I played PS Online for the last time, I downloaded Phantasy Star 4 and played it via emulation. Absolutely fantastic game, I can say without fear of being influenced by nostalgia, it really is a superb 16 bit RPG, maybe the best ever made.

I did play the original Phantasy Star but by the time I got round to it, I'd spoilered myself and I couldn't be bothered to complete it.

>> No.3216475

>>3212537
I'm assuming he's talking about the clock tower bells ringing and screen shrinking

>> No.3216505

>>3216319
get the 3 Wario Land games

>> No.3216696

>>3209430
Good question OP. I have quite a few that I played for the first time recently:

System Shock (on GoG): Solid game. Mouselook mod definitely helped but I enjoyed this. Huge fan of SS 2 though.

Colony wars 1 and 2 (vengeance): Felt like a very watered down, poor mans freespace, not a fan at all.

Tenchu Stealth assassins: Quite a charming little game. Draw distance was a bit ridiculous but I definitely enjoyed it.

Battle Zone: Wow. Awesome blend of RTS and FPS/action game. This was a big surprise to me. Good difficulty on hardest, good mix of missions. Great stuff (loved the old mechwarrior games so this felt like an awesome hybrid).

Thief Gold / Thief 2: I was completely blown away by how good these were. Only just beat 2 last week. Holy shit taffer.

>> No.3216739

>>3209918

Same here, got into Earthbound a month ago (french guy, we didn't have it here at the time), I liked everything, especially the soundtrack.

>> No.3216742

>>3216696
System Shock sucks dicks.

>> No.3216752

>>3216742
>I couldn't get past the first screen because it doesn't play like DOOM

FPS kids, everyone.

>> No.3216757
File: 6 KB, 224x225, 1450436339377.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3216742
Alright, I have nothing better to do tonight, so Ill bite.
Why do you think so?

>> No.3217398

>>3212537
3D Remake. I know it messed up with some things (like you said, the boss fights) but the pros were worth it.
Also, I was mentioning what >>3216475
said. The screen shrinking when a new day is coming caught me totally off-guard and made me smile like a kid.

>> No.3217564

>>3216739
>french guy, we didn't have it here at the time
Why do you desperately feel the need to share that information, like everyone on this board would have jumped down your throat if you were an American that didn't play EarthBound when it came out? You're a fucking idiot.

>> No.3217584

>>3217564
He was adding context to him never having played it. Quit sperging out, it's not a big deal.

>> No.3217794

>>3216757
shit gameplay sucks dick

rpg sucks dicks

>> No.3220408

>>3209430
I'm playing through final fantasy 9 for the first time on a ps1 (fuck PC gayming ruins the feel of console gaming) So far I'm having a blast, the graphics are surprisingly polished and the dialogue is charming. I am so happy finals are almost done so I can go back and finish this game. I am looking for another summer game, but I don't know many other ps1 classics.

>> No.3220436

>>3209430
>earthbound about 3 years ago (100%)
loved it, the soundtrack, the nonsense enemies, the dialog, and the overall tone of the game. I wish more RPGs dare do something original like this instead of the edgy stuff they usually pull.
>chrono trigger about 2 years ago (100%)
as u can tell i never played any snes before. Again, loved the tone, the character design, the battle system! quite original!, and most of all, the giant world you can explore and fall in love with every detail. One thing i didn't like, non-random battles. But it's good to be able to avoid em i guess..
>castelvania SOTN months ago (few hours)
couldn't get much far. It's kinda annoying hard, and i always felt it wasn't my kinda game
>xenogears months ago (probably ending 1st CD i guess)
the "horror in the sewer" part was annoying as fuck. And i feel kinda wandering sometimes. The battle system is cool, but it could use some more work (i kinda feel like i don't have much choices). The story is interesting and quite well written so far

>> No.3220451

>>3220408
>I don't know many other ps1 classics.
Spyro 1 and 2 are must plays, imo. The only top tier platformers on PS1.

>> No.3220454

>>3220436
>parasite eve (good amount of hours, beat some bosses)
i expected it to be boring as fuck (as i've found every resident evil i played) but it's actually charming. I like the "cinematic" side of it. The battle system is "ehh" but it's fun to play.
>chrono cross (just traveled dimensions)
interesting battle system, lovely graphics. I feel kinda like playing ff7 for the first time. Although im too old and busy to get invested as i feel i need to. Also i fear i'm missing recruitable characters at every step i take.
>brave fencer musashi
ehh, it feels kinda hard to play, it didn't age well. It's cute and kinda fun tho.
>tomba
very solid plataformer, although im not a big fan of the "quests" thing when it's a damn sidescroller.
>dragon warrior 7
still not a solid opinion. I believe i didn't fight a single enemy yet
>grandia
i wanted to play that game for YEARS while seeing it on a magazine. My expectations were huge. It didn't live up to them, but it's not bad. The battle system kinda confuses me. The characters are charming enough

>> No.3220460

>>3220408
dunno about your taste but digimon world 1 is one of the comfiest ps1 games for me.

>> No.3220474

>>3220454
>Also i fear i'm missing recruitable characters at every step i take.

You need at least three playthroughs to get them all and 90% of them can be obtained in one go, so there's three chances for optional characters. The other 10% join based on your choices and can't be missed, though as I said, you can't get all of them at once.

>> No.3222036

>FF7
Good game, but I liked the SNES FFs better.

>DQ1,2,3
First time playing the official series (enjoyed the Monsters spinoff when they came out).

DQ1 was great, though short and a bit samey.

DQ2 had a great start but got very tedious.

Currently playing DQ3, just got the boat, got caught up in exploring and have no idea what I'm supposed to do next. It's been really fun up until this point.

>Metroid 2, Super Metroid
Bought M2 when SSB64 came out but never really got into it. Finally beat it a couple weeks ago and really enjoyed it, though I eventually broke down and started using a map.

Started SM recently and it's everything I've wanted in a Metroidvania.

>> No.3223454

>OoT (3ds remake)
haven't beat it yet, just at fire temple but pretty good. I personally don't understand why people call it the best game ever, I'd say it's a solid 8/10 but maybe the experience is watered down as a remake so idk
>Sonic CD (pc remake, 2-3 yrs ago)
honestly my favorite Sonic game. beautiful and colorful sprites and backgrounds, hella clever level design, and one of the best soundtracks to ever grace gaming. not a fan of how obtuse finding the robot machines/metal sonic holograms is though.

>> No.3223612

I'm playing ALTTP, is it hard or do I suck?

>> No.3223620

>>3209430
I didn't like Orcarina much. It seemed like a game without much depth. Very well presented though.
I just don't 'get' Zelda.

>> No.3223646

>>3223612
you suck

>> No.3223665

>>3211090
Go away arin.

>> No.3223695

Classic games I've only played recently for the first time:

>Sweet Home
One of the best (j)RPGs of its time. Probably the most atmospheric game on the NES.

>Chrono Trigger
Masterful music, immortal graphics, fun - if simple - gameplay, nice story with multiple endings. Beautiful.

>Sonic series
I didn't like it very much, but I guess I'm not good enough at it. I can feel that it would be a lot more fun if you manage to keep momentum.

>> No.3223859
File: 172 KB, 800x900, 1453882357064.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Chrono Trigger
eh, it's alright. the Chrono's resurrection sidequest is fucked up tho

>> No.3223864

>>3209430
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

I really love it. The atmosphere, the music. Really takes me back to the 90s. For the lack of a better way to describe it: They just don't make em anymore like they used to.

I will say though that despite its size and content, it doesn't really feel like a long game - even with the inverted castle.

>> No.3223894

been playing system shock 2 for the first time and it's so fucking good

>> No.3226362

>>3216280
I actually just did too.

>> No.3226635

Playing through the Origins edition of Final Fantasy 1 for the first time. That dark king fucked my stuff up pretty good.

I'm running a team of fighter, black belt, red mage, and white mage. What spells are essential for my mages? So far haste seems really good, and of course cure is a lifesaver

>> No.3226657

Chrono Trigger

Thought it was just okay, but can see how playing it in childhood would create that type of personal attachment for people.

>> No.3226661

>>3223612
it's tricky sometimes.

>> No.3226696

>>3226635
I don't remember what it is called in the Original version, but Steel. It buffs your physical hit, whereas Haste makes you get in more strikes. Sometimes you want more strikes, sometimes more damage per strike.

>> No.3226959

>>3211090
Played this about six years ago for the first time, and have tried playing through it twice afterwards. It bores the shit out of me. In 3x3 threads I give it a .5 score. It's playable but it's meh and I just don't care for it. I loved Link's Awakening as a kid and still do though.

>> No.3227776

i was about to play final fantasy tactics for the first time the other day. Came home and my ps2 slim wouldn't come on. light flashes green for a sec or two then goes red.

the cost of retro i suppose. gotta find a ps1