[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 125 KB, 432x348, FNP_BFH_014221.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3184714 No.3184714[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

"Video games are meant to be played in a competitive environment, under pressure, organized, where you have to perform literally on demand." - Billy Mitchell

Suck on that you JRPG faggots and btw...USA USA USA USA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

>> No.3184723

It takes me nearly 8 hours to complete Super Metroid every time I play it. I could go faster, I just don't want to. Deal with it.

>> No.3184725

>>3184714
too bad hes a cheating LOSER!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8_7Orhey-g

I would like to try some of his hot sauce tho.

>> No.3184729

Pretty sure the context of the quota is about arcade games not console games. Which I totally agree.

>> No.3184740

That's it, you and me, pal. Mano a mano. Post your fightcade ID.

>> No.3184742

>>3184725
>It's the old "Billy Mitchell is a cheater because I'm jealous" line.

Yeah prove it, you literally can't, LOSER.

>> No.3184753

What's a Billy Mitchell?

>> No.3184774

>>3184742
>A character similar to Mitchell who cheats at video games called Garrett Bobby Ferguson (GBF) appears in Regular Show. Mitchell, however, took offense at the portrayal and filed a lawsuit, which was thrown out by the judge.
I fucking hate regular show btw but this is hilarious.

>> No.3184782

>>3184714
Dude looks like an only slightly taller Peter Dinklage

>> No.3184798

>>3184729
It applies to pinball

>> No.3184805

>>3184714
>sends an old lady to deliver a dubious VHS tape of his run
what a busta

>> No.3184809

>>3184714
This butthole still thinks "video games" only refers to the games that the original Tron referenced.
I bet he doesn't even get mad that when you see a family playing current gen games in TV commercials, they still use fucking BLIP BLOOP and WHOOP WHOOP WHOODGE Pacman death sound effects because that's what he thinks video games still are.

>> No.3184810

>>3184805
Oh look another mad LOSER raging at a true American hero on an anonymous chink message board.

>> No.3184818

>>3184714
He's just inflating his own ego.
Power trippers can suck my dicks.

>> No.3184827

>>3184714
...And he's also trying to give the vidya some kind of legitimacy. Which is OK for a hobby, but...

You shouldn't be able to make a living off of playing video games.

Or playing sports.

Playing isn't work.

>> No.3184839

>>3184827
>Or playing sports

lmao fuck off nerd

>> No.3184840

>>3184774
I loved that episode.

I didn't know that Billy Mitchell actually tried to sue Cartoon Network though, f*** this guy.

>> No.3184867

>>3184840
Fuck off namefag, Billy has done more in his life than you ever will. Fucking hardcore loser, lmao

>> No.3184873

>>3184839
Jocks in college don't have to do their finals or maintain their grades. It's an easy way out.

Just like autism bux. An easy way out.

>> No.3184879

>>3184873
Not even close to being the same thing. You can't do a few pushups and be a top tier collegiate athlete.

>> No.3184881

>>3184873
>don't have to do their finals or maintain their grades.

That's football players in movies and TV, not real life.

>> No.3184954

>>3184873
>>3184881
Speaking as a college football player, you sir are wrong. I am exempt from finals and my grades can be shit. Just need to score me them touchdowns.

>> No.3185027

>>3184714
Go back to making chicken wings, kiddo.

>> No.3185041

>>3184827
Athletes literally risk their entire physical state to entertain people. Its why actors get paid so much. Entertainment industry. You ever see old football players? Most of them are broken physically. Not to mention all the work it takes to be a professional athlete.

>> No.3185051

>>3184714
Video games aren't meant to be anything
sage

>> No.3185057

>>3184714
>Video games are meant to make money

Fixed.

>> No.3185080
File: 244 KB, 640x480, mabel sad.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3184867
It's true, I'm so lame. Fujoshi for life.

>> No.3185098

yeah, i also finished watching the king of kongs, op

>> No.3185139
File: 19 KB, 300x298, Billy Mitchell.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The man, the myth, the legend.

Say what you want about Billy Mitchell, but he is amazing. He does things in video games the average person only dreams of. (Beating Pac-Man comes to mind.)

But why didn't he play Steve Wiebe at the Funspot arcade? Billy said it best himself: "Video games are meant to be played in a competitive environment, under pressure, and organized. Were you have to perform, literally, on demand. If you don't play when you have to play—if you don't play when the pressure's on—you're really not good enough."

Steve Wiebe's original hi-score being investigated, to the point of strangers entering his home, triggered Steve to show up at a public arcade and prove his playing abilities. Only for Billy to send in a sketchy VHS tape (which was accepted as an official score by Twin Galaxies only ten minutes later) and take away Steve's crown.
Why hold back submitting a score? How long did Billy have that hi-score recorded on his VHS tape? Why wait all that time to submit your new score, just to rob someone of their moment?
And submitting a VHS tape is kinda strange, considering it was done by someone so passionate about playing in front of others.

Billy wouldn't associate with Steve when he saw him playing at Funspot. Steve wanted to greet him, chat with him, play him, etc. So Billy walks up behind Steve and says: "There's certain people I don't want to spend too much time with."

Why couldn't he play Steve a round of Donkey Kong, or at least had a conversation with him? Billy's top score would have still remained—it wouldn't have hurt him.

The irony? Steve Wiebe now holds a higher score at Donkey Kong than Billy Mitchell.

I'm a fan of Billy's playing skill, but come on.

>> No.3185151

>In 2015 Mitchell filed a lawsuit against Cartoon Network claiming that in Regular Show a character who cheats at video games called Garrett Bobby Ferguson (GBF) infringed on his likeness.[3][4] United States District Court for the District of New Jersey Judge Anne Elise Thompson threw out the lawsuit, saying that "the television character does not match the plaintiff in appearance".

What a fucking faggot

>> No.3185157

I seem to remember watching a documentary about this guy. He and some other guy had a back and forth to see who could break the other's world record high score at Donkey Kong.

>> No.3185161
File: 97 KB, 730x730, need_for_speed_high_stakes.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3184714
Absolutely true.

Ever played NFS high stakes? Check it out, it oughta learn ya! Particularly that career mode.

That part where you have to wager you precious new top class car, that's a supremely profound game moment, that's what it's supposed to be like!

>> No.3185162

>>3184798
pinball's not a video game

>> No.3185331

>>3184774

According to the Regular Show wiki.

>Mitchell actually sued Cartoon Network for using his likeness without his permission, but the case was thrown out of court.

This makes more sense. To do it out of just not liking the portrayal of him seems a bit too petty, even for him.

>> No.3185338

>>3184714
What about WRPG faggots? I find WRPGs much more non gamey, desu.

>> No.3185352

>>3185139
>Billy wouldn't associate with Steve when he saw him playing at Funspot. Steve wanted to greet him, chat with him, play him, etc. So Billy walks up behind Steve and says: "There's certain people I don't want to spend too much time with."

Are you serious? This entire post is the narrative that was made up for the "documentary".

Look it up anywhere, since it came out pretty much everybody in that movie has complained publically and at length that nothing in that documentary is as it happened.

King of Kong was originally meant to be a proper documentary about people who spend their lives on videogame scores. They realised halfway through filming that it was going to be boring and that there was a thread of story in Wiebe's challenging to Mitchell's record, so they flipped it and turned it into a David vs Goliath movie.

Again, look it up. Everybody in that movie has spoken out against it while people like you summarize the entire film and present it as fact.

>> No.3185374

>>3185352
>a good percentage of what makes the documentary “good” are made up conflicts, inaccurate reporting, smoothed-over narratives that are meant to make you root for one side or hate the other, when in fact reality doesn’t hold up to these allegations. The whole point of the narrative is that Steve is wronged, denied his rightful place in the record books because of internal machinations. But he had the championship for 3 years! He had played Billy one-on-one. Billy was not on this campaign to cut Steve off at the knees at every turn so to humiliate him and dismiss him, to his own aggrandizement.

>(Feel free to check out this collection of statements by Walter Day [https://web.archive.org/web/20080915050001/http://www.twingalaxies.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=86], head of Twin Galaxies, which is an excellent succinct review of inaccuracy in the film. There are notable amounts of others.)

I will say though, that the main reason the truth has not come out in a pronounced way is because the documentary was pretty popular and the main guy speaking out against it is really unlikeable, and is only on his crusade to let others know the truth because he was meant to be the star of the straight documentary and he feels robbed they went with the Weibe narrative.