[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 139 KB, 256x360, Dragon_Warrior_III.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3184658 No.3184658 [Reply] [Original]

After finishing my second playthrough of DQ1 I decided to give this a go. I loved Dragon Warrior 1 (played it first on GBC then on NES.) It's a simple, but very functional open RPG that allows you to wander and dick around all you want...but I can't get into this game.

The party system, while it's cool, just adds so much unnecessary tedium to the game. In the first game, if you ran into monsters that you out-classed by a long shot, you could finish the battle in two button presses and move on, getting the gold, xp and most importantly not interrupting your exploration, which is what made the game so great in the first place. In DW3 if you backtrack you have to fight 7 slimes or 4 ravens and 3 slimes, which just means 2 or 3 minutes of menu shuffling and text scrolling until you defeat them. You can't walk 2 or 3 squares without triggering a battle either so you are pretty much always in combat, shuffling through menus. It makes exploration a lot less appealing and a lot less fun, which is a shame because from what I've seen the world is like 10 times bigger than the first game. Not to mention the whole thing where you select a monster that's already been killed and your character just attacks thin air. What a waste of time. Does the game get better? do you get spells that can attack multiple monsters at once, is there a way to deal with large groups of low powered enemies easily? or should i just say fuck it and try a different game. I like the aesthetic of jRPGs, I just don't like how they waste your fucking time for no reason. Are there any other jRPGs that are kind of similar to the first Dragon Warrior, where you can wander about on your own and not get bogged down with tedium.

>> No.3185175

If I don't like DWIII are any of the other Dragon Warrior/Quest games worth playing? Kinda bummed because I really enjoyed the first one

>> No.3185190

I only have experience with the GBC version of DQ3, but mechanically this should be the same. Boomerangs will hit all enemies you see, while whips will hit all enemies of a certain group, which can definitely let you deal with weak enemies really fast, depending on your level. You also do get spells later that allow you to hit all enemies, but I haven't played too far into it so I'm not sure how many different spells there are. But if you really have to try a different game I suggest 8, and possibly even waiting for the 3DS release of 8. I found exploration in 8 very rewarding, plenty of treasure to find, lots of difficult enemy encounters you can find just walking around in the overworld, and the combat goes by pretty fast in 8 too. The 3DS port which comes out later this year in the west takes away random encounters tho, so if you think they can get a bit annoying that should help as well.

>> No.3185210

>>3184658
Play the SNES or GBC remakes, they address your complaints by automatically retargeting if an enemy is dead and adding whips and boomerangs, which attack a group of enemies and all enemies. There are AoE spells in the original, but it takes awhile to get them.

>> No.3185239

>>3185210
OK thanks. I'll try the SNES version and see how it goes.

>> No.3185256

>>3184658
If you don't like the tedium of the NES Dragon Quest games (don't feel bad about it), play any of the later remakes of the games. DQ1, 2, and 3 all have really good remakes on GBC and Mobile, and DQ4/5/6 all have great remakes on the DS. The remakes all remove a lot of the tedium and tone down the difficulty a bit to make them a bit more accessible.

>> No.3185397

>>3184658
Fairy water or the equivilent spell keeps weak random encounters away.

>> No.3185603

>>3184658

I've worked through 1-4 on iOS and playing 5 right now. Comfy as fuck. Would recommend.

Grinding on a morning/evening London commute is keeping me sane