[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 85 KB, 2272x1704, Playstation-logo-colour.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3180860 No.3180860 [Reply] [Original]

So why is it that no one can burn copies of games on to something like PS1 CDs and play them without a mod chip or disk swapping or whatever the fuck people do? With how large the custom cartridge market is getting, I would have thought someone would have figured out how to make CDs of rare games that the Playstation or whatever your system of choice with an optical drive would just play without having to mess with the guts. Whats the mechanical process involved? How does a console know if a disc is burned or legitimate?

>> No.3180870

Actually the reason for this is simple: Sony didn't use stock CDs, they stamped a Sony copyright notice on the disks which the console checks for on startup, therefore the only way you could add this feature to a CD is if you had the original factory pressing equipment.

>> No.3180910

They already have... For consoles that don't have have a security ring on the CDs.

>> No.3180947

So no one's figured out how to duplicate the copyright notice? Or is it just not worth the trouble of replicating the process to get the copyright notice on the disc? I would have thought some shifty chinaman or other would have figured the thing out and started pressing copies of expensive games.

>> No.3180967

>>3180947
>Or is it just not worth the trouble of replicating the process to get the copyright notice on the disc?
This one. Why bother with all that when they could knockoff Earthbound for a few cents?

>> No.3180983

>>3180947
A good number of reprints were basically people who bought the original pressing gear and asking smaller companies like NIS and Atlus if they wanted to do second-runs of their games.

It's not worth doing now because the market isn't there anymore.

>> No.3180991

Mod chips basically just set it so the console ignores the ID check on the disc.

>> No.3180996

What modchip do I need to bypass the security ring check up on the PS1 and play illegitimate discs?

>> No.3181104

>>3180947
The equipment it takes to press a disc is extremely expensive (think in the hundreds of thousands), and the copy protection isn't capable of reproduction in a typical CD writer, so unless CD pressing becomes way cheaper, you're not going to see repros for a while.

>> No.3181485

>>3180996
A 50 cent one or you can just do the swap truck which becomes easy as shit with a Goldfinger or Sharpshooter etc

>> No.3181526

>>3180860
Head to >>3179135 for a discussion about the PS IO

>> No.3181539

>>3181485
Not him but does the process of swapping ruin the hardware? Seems pretty harsh on the hardware to abruptly stop the spinning disc and stuff.

>> No.3181582

>>3180870
>they stamped a Sony copyright notice on the disks which the console checks for on startup

Not correct, as I recall they made the discs have a wobble in the spiral track. When the drive reads it, it reports tracking errors, but does so in a recurring interval at a pre-set address, so the controller can understand it as the copy protection.

I'm not sure if this is even physically possibly to replicate with CDRs, as in if it is possible to create CDRs like that, or if it would be possible to burn them without errors.

Cartridge based media is easier to build knockoffs of because you can buy a hobby programmer from china for $50 nowadays.

>> No.3181770

>>3180860
They have this. You can do it with a gameshark and a spring to keep the system thinking the drive door is closed.

>> No.3181790

>>3181770
Lol I remember doing this when I was about 13. I used the spring out of a pen so I could play burned copies of the first metal gear solid game.

>> No.3181794

>>3180860
Because that's called a bootleg and is illegal
And bootleg games DO exist for the playstation, so someone in china already did that

>> No.3183203

I might be remembering this wrong so bear with me, but there apparently WAS a CD burner that could make CDs that a regular PS1 would accept as genuine. It was an early Yamaha that if flashed with a hacked firmware would allow you to burn CDs with the necessary error pattern. Unfortunately it was already discontinued by the time anyone found out so it was a fight to find them.

>> No.3184785

Because it requires that microscopic etches be made to the disk itself. It requires a industrial pressing machine for manufacturing discs. They cost about $10,000.

Learn how to solder

>> No.3186064

is it possible to buff ps1 cds? i just want playable copies of crash 1 and spyro 2/3 again holy fuck

>> No.3187606

>>3186064
Yes, use chalky white plain toothpaste. Buff it from the center out with a thick slurry solution of paste & water. Do no wipe in circles. Rinse clean and dry thoroughly. Use regular washcloths or a microfiber cloth for best results.

Don't use anything that has a strong mint smell, you want that plain white chalky shit you'd never normally use. It doesn't have an odor.

The small particles do a good job of lighly scratching and repolishing the surface. But remember center out only. CD lasers can compensate for radial scratches, but not ones that follow the track groove.

>> No.3187653

>>3180991
>>3181104
>>3184785
These guys got it right. Consumer grade shit can neither read nor write shit in the lead in/out (I think?) that the ps1 looks for to mark as genuine.
http://wololo.net/2012/12/10/how-ps1-security-works/

Also remember later on the started using subchannel data to detect modchips. (libcrypt)

http://consolecopyworld.com/psx/psx_protected_games.shtml

>> No.3187694

>>3180860
The movement is towards disk-based modifications and avoiding optical media all together. Optical drives eventually die so projects like PSIO are the only way to lengthen the lifespan of optical consoles.

>> No.3188691

>>3187694
you answered a completely different question. are you ok?

>> No.3188709

>>3187694
Optical drives are still produced though, surely you can replace a worn out drive mechanism.

>> No.3188731

>>3188709
>Optical drives are still produced though

But probably not the specific type used by the PS1 which is an old-fashioned 2x CD-ROM. I'm fairly sure you can't stick a Blu-Ray or something modern in there and expect it to work.

>> No.3188748

>>3188731
nah bro i also upgraded the graphics with a geforce 3 chip works great

>> No.3189276

>>3188731
Bullshit, the Chinese still make them.

>> No.3189294

>>3189276
Sure. They'll break after 5 uses or have missing parts, but you can get them.

>> No.3189317

Sony also manufactured all their drives and media in-house so had a higher quality standard and much lower prices than, eg. Sega who had to buy everything from outside suppliers.