[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 46 KB, 460x215, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3177315 No.3177315 [Reply] [Original]

How about a Final Fantasy VIII thread? It'd be sweet to have a good thread on it and if people that weren't a fan could just hide the thread or something because I know it's not everyone's cup of tea. But
>what did you enjoy most in the game?
>favorite character?
>favorite GF?
>did you beat Ultimate weapon?
>what was your method for beating Ultemecia? Aura spam or straight up?
>favorite track from the OST?

I'll start, I enjoyed the garden settings and the various missions like the Edea assassination the most. Favorite characters would be Squall or Chicken Wuss. As for GF's, Diablos is by far my favorite. I most definitely beat all the optional bosses, and as typical as this is, Liberi Fatali is my favorite track from not only this game but all games.

>> No.3177320

>>3177315
Oops, forgot to mention that I did not aura spam/hero drink the last fight. Probably should have though, would've been much less of a trudging battle.

>> No.3177331

>>3177315
>>what did you enjoy most in the game?
Triple Triad
>>favorite character?
Kiros and Ward, because they're the only ones who didn't constantly annoy the fuck out of me
>>favorite GF?
I haven't unlocked all of them yet
>>did you beat Ultimate weapon?
No
>>what was your method for beating Ultemecia? Aura spam or straight up?
Haven't reached her yet but thanks for the tip
>>favorite track from the OST?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jho-peCAKs
No contest

>> No.3177349

>>3177331
Triple triad is definitely my favorite mini game in any RPG.
Characters are definitely hit or miss with people, I like them but I see where you're coming from.
There's a lot of GF's so it'll be hard to choose.
You should try and beat ultimate weapon *hint hint, nudge nudge*
And man with the machine gun is ungodly to work out to or jam in the car to my man.

>> No.3177446

>>3177315
The modern/near-futuristic setting and art direction. Most believable Final Fantasy world to date imo.
>>favorite character?
Squall
>>favorite GF?
Diablos, for his design and the side-quest to get him.
Not yet.
Aura spam with all final weapons/limits unlocked.
Balamb Garden, no brainier.

Good thread, seriously.

>> No.3177471

>>3177446
Wew, looks like we got similar tastes my friend. What was it that you liked about squall if I may ask? Since I also like him but mostly I find people don't like him. And balamb garden was the track I started most of my mornings with in the bathroom this semester actually, goof comfy track to combat my travels to Biochem II.

>> No.3177490

Just finishing up a playthrough of it
Such a fun game when you know how to use abuse the junction system
did all the sidequests, got all the GFs and cards
about 107 hours and all i have left is to fight ultimecia

>> No.3177510

the fact that a good portion of the story isn't told at all unless you sidequest
But also the very setting itself. This kind of mix between present day life, sci-fi and a little bit of fantasy is the perfect setting to me to this day. Sure, I've seen some games try and pull the same aesthetic off, but they always get it wrong somehow.
Also, Timber! The music, the bar, the station, the current situation, the trains.
>favorite character?
Selphie and Zell were always my favorite in terms of character. Also, I don't know why everyone calls squall an edge-lord all the time. He says "whatever" to a few people at the beginning of the game, but at it progresses, even during the middle of disk one he reveals himself to be quite a smart, helpful and caring person. He doesn't even push people away much, though there's types of people he doesn't like. He does show it, but without being hostile. It was only when he decides he will "protect" Rinoa that I started liking him less, their whole relationship started out well but the point where he fell for her came out of nowhere.
>favorite GF?
The design of Bahamut in ff8 is my favorite.
both ultima and omega
I don't even remember anymore. I probably kept squall and zell on low HP and hit her with lionheart until she died. Lionheart in particular really breaks the game though, even against super-bosses.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjTw1Wcjzf8

The balamb garden and boss battle themes were also among my favorites. I didn't like the overworld theme when I first played the game, it felt isolating and is generally my least favorite ff overworld track.

>> No.3177532

I like the aesthetics of the game as well as the setting and music. Favorite GF is probably Brothers.

Ive done literally everything in this game and my favorite character is Laguna. Favorite track is probably https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qcW0oiLKHg

>> No.3177539

>>3177490
Nice! I'm glad you were able to get the max enjoyment out of it my friend.
>>3177510
And I agree 100% on the setting, it really felt like a world I would want to have experienced first hand, which is something I feel like more games should strive for. Each place in the game felt like an area I actually would like to have seen. I also like that you were able to appreciate squall and my main man zell, always felt like zell would be a cool bro to have. Nice on the full side quest clearing, and also, the martial law favorite track is a new one for me to see. I've always enjoyed it but it's interesting to see someone have it be their favorite!

>> No.3177549

>>3177532
Yeah, the setting and music tie into each other so well that it's hard not to enjoy both if you like one. And the Brothers quest was always fun to me and the GF themselves through their animation sequence was always an enjoyable summon for me as well, good choice. Also, I applauded the eyes on me selection, really a nice song and was a huge hit in Japan as far as a video game exclusive song release can go, really a nice track.

>> No.3177556

>>3177510
>Also, I don't know why everyone calls squall an edge-lord all the time.

Because in the first half of the story he actually went out of his way to treat everyone like shit. I mean say what you will about Cloud "ignoring" Tifa, but at least he never outright told her to "go talk to a wall" or whatever.

>He doesn't even push people away much, though there's types of people he doesn't like.

He did it all the time, what the fuck are you on about? You couldn't even shake hands with the guy like a normal person.

>but the point where he fell for her came out of nowhere.

Because the writers didn't bother developing the romance properly (or they just lacked the talent to do so) and the plot still needed him to fall in love with Rinoa.

>> No.3177562
File: 72 KB, 490x920, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.3177571

>>3177556
Man, not to bitch because you have your right to your opinion, but I specifically made the request to hide the thread if you weren't a fan of it. I understand the game is polarizing and people have pretty largely different takes on it, but I'd like to limit the negative thoughts in the thread because then it just leads to a shitposting battle between people and that's not worthwhile for anything, just a waste of everyone's time. So just ignore the thread because it's probably not for you.

>> No.3177572

>>3177562
I hate you so much.

>> No.3177578

>>3177571
I'm not shitting on the game (aside from the romance, which even that other anon agrees is poorly developed), I'm just pointing out why people consider Squall to be an edgelord.

>> No.3177592

Honestly, grinding and obtaining tons of magic to junction was really fun for some reason. Many hours spent. Then I could just blow through all opposition. Very satisfying.

>favorite character?
Irvine I guess. I hated Cid because I wanted Edea for myself and I thought he was way too ugly for her.

>favorite GF?
Doomtrain. Love them status effects.

Not legitimately. I Gameshark'd my way through a lot of the game because I got bored with it.

Don't remember. Probably just basic battle commands.

The Extreme. So powerful. :')

>> No.3177593

>>3177592
M8 you just did not talk shit about Robin Williams

>> No.3177601

>>3177572
Love ya, anon ;3

>> No.3177605

>>3177592
I'm happy I'm not the only one who actually had fun grinding and intentionally raising the enemies level. Usually I finish the game near maxed level. I also like how everyone has a different favorite track.

>> No.3177624

>>3177549

Well shit I didn't expect my taste to get appreciated.

There are plenty of great tracks, but that one always stuck out more than the rest for me. I'll admit that I like Melodies of Life from FFIX more, though.

>> No.3177635

this game shoulda been ff7-2 desu

>> No.3177638

>>3177315
>enjoy most
probably esthar city
>favorite character
i can't pick a favorite, but i enjoy how it's one of the only final fantasy games to strictly include only human playable characters
>beat ultimate weapon
yep, it was pretty easy with 255 strength and just attacking. drew 300 ultimas from him too
>favorite GF
probably Eden, his animation sequence is just awesome
>method for beating Ultemecia
Rinoa and Angel WIng, was over in no time

>> No.3177650

Man where do I begin on how bad this game is..

worst weapon system
worst money system
worst magic system
worst love interest
flashbacks interrupted the main story way too often
selphie needs to die
quistis was cool though
and the GF system was ok as long as you had pre-knowledge of weaknesses and such

>> No.3177654

>>3177650
>worst money system

No that's XIII, the game where you could only get money by selling items.

>selphie needs to die

You mean Rinoa, right? Selphie may have just been fanservice but she was good fanservice.

>> No.3177660

>>3177315
I might get criticized but I enjoyed the junction system. If you spend enjoyable time breaking the game I'd call that a success. To be fair it's actually a really challenging game if you don't waste time drawing everything to full, especially if you don't try to keep your level low.

>favorite character?
Again people might disagree but I really liked Rinoa. I played the game when I was 15-16ish and a cute girl that is actually coming to you to open you up was all I ever wanted. Her character is not as bland as people make it is. I found her cute with the right amount of silliness.

>favorite GF?
Diablos because of his style mainly.

I really liked Faye Wong's Eyes on me and it fits the game really well.

In short I liked things that are designed to be liked in the game while ignoring the bad parts. I was young and because I played it when I was young I enjoyed it a lot. Cheesy romance story, Laguna and Julia's story coming to completion with their children, Winhill adventures and every cheesy part made me smile and like the game even more. The main story is quite cliche but I enjoyed people around so much that it didn't bother me.

>> No.3177685

>>3177635
After seeing Square's efforts at expanding on FFVII's story I'd rather not. Lord knows what they're going to do to the remake, the episodic bullshit is only the tip of the iceberg.

>> No.3177686

cinematics, best graphics on psone.
>favorite character?
Quistis and Zell proly.
>favorite GF?
mmm Tonberry and the cactus.
yep
1hp on squall then full ultimate with hero (item). few rounds of it and its done.
never heard it before. downloading...

>> No.3177690

>>3177638
>>3177624
I rarely start threads so I always try to make it a point to acknowledge others, and I do indeed like your choices. Melodies of life is another excellent track as well so good on you.

>>3177638
Esther is indeed one neat-o place, all the backgrounds are really interesting throughout. I also was hyped at the weapon shop area there with the new weapons shown. And that is an interesting point, that they all were very human characters with no ridiculous traits. Nice on Eden too, first time I used it with the boost I thought my hand was going to fall off. Solid ultemecia strat as well.
>>3177660
See I liked the junction system a lot as well, but I didn't try very hard to break it. It's easy to figure out what works best but I just kept it pretty mid ranged so I wasn't weak but not OP, I also kept my level up so the enemy was correlated in stats to me. And woohoo, someone else that enjoyed rinoa and the romance. It's not like I was expecting something overly complex and she was a sweetheart, I think it was a great addition. I personally love the space scene.

>> No.3177695

>>3177686
The opening cinematic coupled with Liberi fatali is my favorite opening/scene from any game. More love for my dude zell i see, and man getting the tonberry GF was some punishment, that's for sure, definitely rewarding once you got it though. And you will not regret listening all the way through the OST my friend.

I'm heading to bed though y'all. I'll be sure to pick up wherever you all leave off.

>> No.3177697

>>3177315
the music
Irvine, his gun limit was fun to use and because I decided to try it low-level he was the strongest dude
Leviathan
I don't think so
Auraspam, but its been a while so I don't remember
Man with the machine gun.

I need to replay this game someday and do more of the sidequests while also playing less stupid.

>> No.3177701
File: 1.22 MB, 1920x1080, 320150456.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3177510
>the point where he fell for her came out of nowhere
Well, there's this foreshadowing.

>> No.3177704

>>3177690
>See I liked the junction system a lot as well, but I didn't try very hard to break it.
I completely agree and don't understand people who spend 40 hours min-maxing everything and then claiming game is broken.

I finished the game quite a few times and to be honest I found even breaking this game very satisfying because there are really overpowered enemies and you can also get overpowered. But to get there you need to explore the world which makes perfect sense. This is why I don't understand when people say "I did everything possible in the game, I gathered all the GFs, I fought every foe or collected number of cards. BAAAHHH I'm overpowered. This game is broken." I mean if those were stuff you enjoyed, you played the game and had the satisfaction of defeating Omega Weapon with 200k damage per round, what more can you ask for? An upper limit on how much you can get better and create a fake difficulty?

>> No.3177715

>>3177701
If you believe in R=U

>> No.3177726

>>3177701
There's also the thing where the sorceress mind controls her knight. Squall started having feelings for her right after she got her powers.

>> No.3177729

>>3177726
Well of course he was. Why else would anyone choose their arch-rival's sloppy seconds?

>> No.3177838

>>3177715
I have the feeling this and "Squall is dead" were concepts that were originally going to be part of the story. But they were cut when the devs were forced to dumb the game down for mainstream appeal and heavier focus on teen romance.

>> No.3177868

>>3177315
This was my first Final Fantasy, I loved everything about it, even though I had no idea how to play the game. My life was just starting to hit a pretty deep low at the time, but this game let me forget about all that for a short time. It's not really a great game as an introduction to RPGs. I still get nostalgic when I play it, it's just as good as it was then even if the story isn't as appealing as it once was.

Favorite character is Squall, I could relate to him the most.

GF is probably Diablos.

Never beat Ultimate Weapon, too hard.

Aura and attacks.

Favorite track is Fisherman's Horizon. Most of the tracks are pretty soothing but this one is just so pleasant. I love it. It puts me at ease and reminds me of a simpler time.

>> No.3178320
File: 18 KB, 501x339, He really should have been the protagonist.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3177315
Triple Triad and the soundtrack
>>favorite character?
Best Dad
>>favorite GF?
Diablos
Ultima's a chump, Omega is where it's at, beat them at level 20 or something.
Very simple.
>Quistis at low HP
>Wait till Quistis/Squall Zell
>MIGHTY GUARD
>Spam limits
>???
>profit
Every track is favorite track if it's FFVIII.
But if I have to choose a few I'd say it's Blue Fields, The Man with the Machine Gun and all the Ulty battle themes.

>> No.3178337

>>3177838
>But they were cut when the devs were forced to dumb the game down

Forced by whom? Square was its own publisher at the time, it was one of only a handful of devs with total freedom because they financing the game's production themselves.

>> No.3178380

>>3177697
yeah, if nothing else, it's always easy to appreciate the games music. I've actually never done a low level run despite beating the game 5+ times, maybe I should try it sometime. Interesting choice on leviathan, his sequence is pretty dope.
Once again, man with the machine gun is an excellent track.
>>3177704
I agree my dude.
>>3177868
It's neat that 8 was your first, as far as my own exposure to 8, I first saw it when my brother was playing it and would always watch because it really looked amazing to a young me. I had played 1, 2, and 7 prior to that, but 8 was on another level.
Man, they really did something right when it came to diablos design.
I too, really enjoy Fisherman's Horizon, actually was a really pleasant day the other day weather wise and I live near some large bodies of water with a harbor/ore shipping and it kind of felt like I was in the game as I drove along the shore with that track playing.
>>3178320
Laguna is definitely a cool dude, good to see some love for him. Nice job beating the super optionals asses mang and good strat for Ultemecia, I normally don't have quistis so I hadn't thought of that. Solid choices; another song I haven't seen mentioned that I enjoy is Salt Flats.

>> No.3178486

>>3178337
The marketing department/upper brass at Square. I suppose they weren't really "forced" to but it's obvious they cut a bunch of stuff just so they could appeal to FF7's demographic.

>> No.3178489

I feel this video is appropriate for this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ryqubUmKkg

>> No.3178491
File: 66 KB, 485x700, gurl.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

posting in a Gackt thread

>> No.3178495

>>3177562
>tfw she's tsundere as fuck

>> No.3178564

>>3178380
I just like Leviathan in most games and his Recover skill was useful.

>> No.3178576

>>3178486
>but it's obvious they cut a bunch of stuff just so they could appeal to FF7's demographic.

I'd really like to know why you say it's "obvious" since you seem one of those guys who like to push their headcanon into anything.

Fact is FFVIII was the reason other games got cut, Xenogears for instance.

Maybe you should just deal with the fact that they tried to make a romance story but failed hard at that, there's nothing wrong with it, it happens.

Just don't try to tell me that any FF got dumbed down when it's the de facto babby's first RPG series and cashcow from Square, if anyhing FFVIII was one of those rare instances where they actually tried to make things differently and raise the bar a bit, can't say it completely worked but it's a much more interesting game and system than most of the others in the series, and also one of the reason why it's despised so much by the majority of people.

It had a great budget and a talented staff behind it and people put quite a lot of care on the technical side, and it shows, it is quite an impressive game to this day, the GF animations are simply gorgeus and the graphics, art direction and music are amazing.
The romance was bad, but you can't win it all, and if you want a game with deep and interesting mechanics you sure as hell don't want to play a FF game, even if FFVIII at least tries to be a bit more complex than the rest of the series, with the exception of II.

>> No.3178597

>>3178576
>Maybe you should just deal with the fact that they tried to make a romance story but failed hard at that

Anyone who isn't a fanboy with rose tinted glasses can see that.

>The romance was bad, but you can't win it all

In that case they shouldn't have made it the central focus.

>> No.3178613

>>3178597
>In that case they shouldn't have made it the central focus.
It wasn't?

The romance part is scattered here and there, if you really think romance was the focus of the game I don't know what to tell you, it was one of the main points for Squall's development and character but the game doesn't have more romance than FFIV or FFVI, unless you put Laguna's story in the equation, which was actually good romance.

Besides, what does that have to do with all the things that got cut down according to you?

>> No.3178625
File: 283 KB, 650x529, Ff8_logo.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3178613
Haven't actually played those games, but it was definitely given more focus than either VII or IX. Hell it's even on the fucking cover.

>Besides, what does that have to do with all the things that got cut down according to you?

Well given the fact that the game has so many sideplots, themes and concepts which it briefly touches on but never fully explores it's safe to assume a lot of it got cut. That or Square is really piss poor when it comes to writing deep and complex stories.

>> No.3178628

If I've never played a FF game before in my life but have RPG experience from Chrono Trigger, Zelda and Pokemon, do I start with IV, VII or VIII?

>inb4 start with the first one lol
I know it's shit.

>> No.3178631

>>3178628
FF1 is pretty good though. IV and VII are other gateways into the series.

>> No.3178642

>>3178628
I'd say VII if you want to see why the series is so popular.

If you looking for older games either VI for the story or V for the gameplay. IV isn't that great and is by far the weakest of the SNES trinity. Still worth checking out if you're craving more FF though.

>> No.3178649

>>3178628
Doesn't matter actually. Just pick one and dive in.

>> No.3178656

>>3178625
>it's safe to assume a lot of it got cut
Every videogame gets cut content, but FF isn't a series that had many problems with that, FFVIII got quite a lot of budget and time so if they did cut content was because it wasn't deemed necessary.
>That or Square is really piss poor when it comes to writing deep and complex stories.
That is a fairly bad generalization because Square's writers aren't a single person, but if you think FF has or was meant to have deep, complex or even well written stories you're simply looking in the wrong place.
Even something tremendously barebones and simplistic as Romancing SaGa 2 or SaGa Frontier 2 managed to have better storylines and more realistic and human characters than FF, it helps that they aren't the usual "Party of good looking teenagers saves the world from cartoon villain" tripe, but they were also aimed at a completely different audience, and those had A LOT of cut content also.

>> No.3178667

>>3178628
I'd start with VI actually
but if you'd rather start on the PS1 because you prefer 3D graphics or something, start with VIII or IX

>> No.3178671

>>3178667
Why not VII? It's a much better starting point than the extremely polarizing VIII.

>> No.3178725

>>3178642

I love IV and the PSP version is the tits

>> No.3178767

>>3178671
For the graphics alone.
VII has the most shitty low poly models ever and it makes the game much, much less immersive imo
At least in the 2D FFs it was good art still
Some of the backgrounds are nice in VII but that's about it, the models were bad even for the time
The only way I'd recommend starting with VII is with Tifa's Bootleg mod or something

>> No.3178772

>>3178767
Nigga plz

>> No.3178779

>>3178772
I'm the last person to say that graphics are important when it comes to games, personally I started with VII myself and I love the game, but come on, there's no denying those character models are complete ass
If >>3178628 doesn't care whatsoever about graphics then VII is a perfectly viable option

>> No.3178796

>>3177315
My favorite gf is the one i have right now :3

>> No.3178825

>>3178772
You ain't OP, that's me homie.
Anyways, I'm happy the shitposting has been at a minimum, I enjoy seeing people talking about one of my favorite games.
>>3178796
Nice.

>> No.3179372

This is my favorite game, thanks for the thread OP!

I think the story, even with it's faults and all.
>favorite character?
Squall and Rinoa
>favorite GF?
Not the last time I played it but I have done it before.
>what was your method for beating Ultemecia? Aura spam
I can't pick just one, I love all of it!

Also, here's a creepy unreleased Adel theme that I think is cool.
https://youtu.be/hPuv9QdzDZA

>> No.3179434

>>3179372
>Also, here's a creepy unreleased Adel theme that I think is cool.

How does that guy even know what was the purpose of those chants and that they were scrapped (he says so in the comments)? I definitely remember them somewhere in the final game. He also puts in fishy details in the other tracks he uploaded. Not to mention they sound terribad which is a feat, since you can rip them pretty easily from the PSF packs.

>> No.3179445

the ending to this game never fails to make me emotional
almost any of Square's RPGs do, actually
they had a great way of developing the characters so that I was always emotionally invested, and by the end always sad to see my "friends" go.
Almost like when you finish watching a great TV show or movie

>> No.3179802

>>3179372
I'm happy to be of service my friend,and I too enjoy the story all in all. You forgot to name your favorite GF! and thanks for the track my dude.
>>3179445
Same here my man.

>> No.3179980

>>3177315
the music, the atmosphere seemed really epic, the action stuff like the dollet mission, assassination, prison break, the garden battle the missile base mission and thinking the characters you sent were dead. squall reluctantly taking on a role of leadership, becoming less insecure and opening up.
>favorite character?
squall and quistis, maybe seifer a little too, i liked his devil may care attitude. i can relate to squalls character a lot and i liked how in the end he grew into a less passive more mature individual. i didnt care for rinoa too much. quistis was smart, beautiful, and probably a freak in the bedroom with that whip.
>favorite GF?
meh, never really used em. eden was pretty cool cuz i never knew what the fuck it really was
yea, i liked that side quest, i could never beat omega, but i never really tried that hard.
>what was your method for beating Ultemecia?
Aura spam or straight up?
aura and lion heart usually, ive done both
breezy, roses and wine, eyes on me piano version, the oath, and the landing was epic as fuck

>> No.3180054

>>3179980
Dude I had the biggest boner for Quistis as a young man. I always tell people I like girls with dark hair, but secretly I have a fetish for any blonde girl with glasses that looks nerdy.

>> No.3180060

>>3180054
why is that a secret

>> No.3180063

>>3180054
That doesn't really seem like the sort of fetish you need to keep secret...

>> No.3180064

>>3180060
Because I loudly proclaim my hatred for blondes to anyone and everyone.

>> No.3180065

>>3180054
Blonde?

>> No.3180156

>>3179980
Yah, the SeeD mission aspect is some of my favorite parts of the game as well. I also enjoyed seifer along with squall, interesting choice on quistis haha nice reasoning too. Well done on ultimate at least and ooo the landing is indeed excellent my friend.
>>3180054
You're a strange fool but I love you all the same anon.

>> No.3180735

>>3180064
I'm doing the same. I publicly don't like blondes but I'll sure as hell fap to them

>> No.3181004

>>3177315
the limit breaks, the music and the setting
>favourite character?
Squall by far, he's the only one that gets some development (along with Rinoa I guess, but I never liked her)
>favorite GF?
Diablos for his design and Enc None
yeah, but never beat Omega though
Probably Aura spam and summons, it was such a long time ago
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-L99A-tJmr0

>> No.3181016

>>3179445
same, the last FF that made me feel like that was X, 14 years ago

>> No.3181209
File: 51 KB, 500x626, tumblr_m1o8fwkxFl1qg9npso1_500.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The things that didn't work, really pulled me away from enjoying it, but those that did, really hit the nail on the fucking head! The whole thing was give and take. We got Triple Triad, but we lost the Chocobo (unless you have a Pocket Station). We got a steady income of Gil so you won't have to grind for it, but there is little point spending it. Weapons can be upgraded, but good luck finding the magazines and rare items needed (I never knew anyone who got the Twin Lance/Punishment). I could go on, but I'll just be repeating what others have already said. Thinking about it honestly, I don't hate it, nor do I think it's a great game. FF8 has to be the most conflicting FF game I've ever played. I remember loving it when it first came out and subsequent playthroughs after. Getting older has changed my views, I started to notice it's failings and short comings. I decided to play the steam version a few months back, I got to the part just after the first disk where you patrol the village as Laguna and I was so bored I stopped playing. After going through this thread, I'll give it another chance after posting this.

The music and the locations. Shit was comfy as fuck!
>favorite character?
Laguna
>favorite GF?
Tonberry
I'm pretty sure I also defeated Omega.
Aura all the way. Rinoa spamming "Invincible Moon" also makes things easy.
Very unfair for you to make me pick one, but if I have too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMYisFOaz1s

>> No.3181258

>>3177446
>The modern/near-futuristic setting and art direction
Any other RPG games with similar settings? Besides FFVII and Persona, that is.

>> No.3181426
File: 31 KB, 500x281, tumblr_o1mrvooOJS1sts23eo1_500.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

What do you people think about the translation?
When I first played the game it didn't occur to me at all, but that side-quest with throwing rocks at that Mr. Monkey seems kind of bootleg. Think about it, there are all sorts of final fantasy entities like moogles, chocobos, moombas, cactuars, etc. there's magic, science, the lunar cry, lunatic pandora.
Right, so at some point you go chucking rocks at a monkey and it tells you that your mother wears combat boots. Really feels like a rushed rewrite by someone who doesn't give a shit. Also, that third "secret" choice before fighting Bahamut made sense to me when I was a kid, but now I'm convinced they just didn't manage to put the text string there and decided to just leave it blank. Also, all of the "..."s and "whatever"s I know for a fact had entirely different meanings in the japanese version of the game. Opinions?

>> No.3181596

>>3181426
There's a great website called legendsoflocalization.com which compiles such stuff, highly recommended for anyone interested in becoming a vg translator/member of a localization team.

>> No.3181921
File: 113 KB, 1024x768, gunblade.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3181258
Shadowrun and VTMB keep popping into my head for some reason.

>>3181426
>Also, all of the "..."s and "whatever"s I know for a fact had entirely different meanings in the japanese version of the game.
You're right: http://fyeahffviii.tumblr.com/post/72672083380/squall-whatever-leonhart

I really wish Squall had an ammo counter on the gunblade, like Irvine's limit break, that was used up with every R1 trigger attack. Bonus points if you had to take a turn to reload, forcing you to not only conserve more powerful and rare ammo, but also do tacticool reloads at crucial times.

>> No.3181935

>>3181426
Maybe, but overall I felt the translation was excellent

>> No.3182169

>>3181921
>http://fyeahffviii.tumblr.com/post/72672083380/squall-whatever-leonhart

Wow, seems like Squall is an entirely different character in the original Japanese version. I hate it when translators try to turn the source material into their own personal fanfic.

>> No.3182509

>>3182169
Would you really prefer a Canadian protagonist though?
>Sorry
>Sorry
>Sorry

>> No.3182513

>>3182509
More like
>Sorry...fucking prick
>Sorry...fucking prick
>Sorry...fucking prick

>> No.3182631

>>3182513
Whatever...

>> No.3182701

VIII Is my absolute fave core FF game.

Norg reveal was pretty nutty, also Esthar
>favorite character?
Irvine
>favorite GF?
MF Doomtrain
Yes but not Omega
Aura+Lionheart
Lunatic Pandora

I still love this game and fantasize about going back and playing it again. I've forgotten most of the story and want to crush bitch-ass mobs with Diablos and 9999 HP at level 20

>> No.3182749

>>3182509
>On an added interpretation note, I think that, when he says “warukatta,” he’s really not apologizing and it’s meant in a more colloquial sense. We all know that Squall is rather…insolent. He’s also quite aloof and tends to keep people at a distance. Taking his personality, the preceding ellipses and the pairing with the ending “na,” it’s more likely that he’s responding with the colloquial English variant, “my bad.” I think that’s far more appropriate for Squall, considering that he is really just a seventeen-year-old kid.

Basically he's anticipating every sort of possible tantrums while generally keeping a tight ass, that's why he goes sorry. "Whatever" makes it look like he's given up already and doesn't even want to try and take the blame.

>> No.3182796

>>3177315
Great setting, it had interesting story on 1st CD
>favorite character?
Laguna or Zell
>favorite GF?
Alexander
Nope
>what was your method for beating Ultemecia? Getting my characters on low life (I believe Limit Breaks are stronger then - like Zell duel has more time), used that item that made whole party invincible.
Man with Machine Gun

>> No.3182816

>>3177315

final fantasy vii, when taken seriously is a fucking mess. forgettable archetypal characters, a dull vague romance for a game that carries love as its theme, a broken ass battle system that actually has aura, punishment for levelling, weird story that seems copped out, etc.

but as a sandbox, it is the greatest final fantasy. flexible fun expermental battle system. completely broken card to item system, you can get no encounter pretty early on, great fan theories thanks to its convuluted strange storyline, the best soundtrack of any ff..yea.

>> No.3182860

Quistis has got to be the best milf in video games. She had me from the beginning, between visiting you in the infirmary, to the machine gun on the boat in Dollet, waifu-4-lyfe.

>> No.3182878

>>3177315
I will never understand why they thought they had to make Squall an emo in order to sell the game. I know it was popular back then, but it's totally out of place in a final fantasy game, not to mention its also extremely annoying.

>> No.3182914
File: 98 KB, 584x536, 1453342738082.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3182860
>18 years old
>milf

>> No.3182918

>>3182878
Most of it is due to the translation. In the original Jap version he's the typical socially-awkward harem animu protagonist. In the English version they changed him into a walking Linkin Park album.

>> No.3182919

>>3182878
Squall had way less mental issues than Cloud did.

>> No.3182951

>>3182919
Let's not turn this into yet another Squall vs Cloud debate, please. Lord knows how well they always end.

>> No.3182970

I have such mixed feelings on this game.
It's the most visually appealing of the Final Fantasies in my opinion when it comes to both the art assets and how it pushes the PlayStation, and features what I think is Nobuo Uematsu's greatest work.
But the plot is a mess, the draw system isn't quite what it should be and it suffers from obnoxious characters. People shit on Squall or whatever, but Rinoa might just be the most one dimensional and bland love interest in all of gaming and both Zell and Selphie annoy the shit out of me.
Throughout the game, I wish it would have just focused on Laguna Loire and his adventures. His ark and that of his comrades is just so much more appealing to me than the visual kei Titanic shit going on with Squ-noa.

>> No.3182985

>>3182914
Oh yeah, and everyone else is supposed to be ~13 right? The official ages for jrpg characters are jokes. Her character is a sexy, but washed-up college professor. She's a milf.

>> No.3182989

>>3177315
It was my first FF game. Had a friend that always said how I should try the FF series but RPGs were not really my thing.

When I turned 14 someone gave me some game for my birthday and I perfectly remember going to the store to trade it and seeing this display specially advertising FF VIII...and I thought "lets see what's all the fuss about".

Still have the box back when pc games came in huge cardbox boxes. It is my favourite game. Played it time and time again, lend it to friends, we talked about it, we played at the same time (one on the pc the other on the playstation), my wife played it and loved it.
Made me like RPGs ever since.

the setting mostly. the world seemed believable and comfortable. Discovering places like the centra ruins, with old stone architecture but with wires showing underneath was just great, balamb garden is one of the best places in gaming...everything is just pleasant to look at. it never felt like a chore and the levelling system helps.
>favourite character?
Don't think I have one...Ellone and Squall dynamic was interesting
>favorite GF?
really like the design of Ifrit and Doomtrain
Yes
Both. Levelling your characters to Lv 100 and beating Ultimecia using only GFs takes a fuckload of time but it's fun.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ila5XKt8Wo

>> No.3182992

>>3182985
>Her character is a sexy, but washed-up college professor. She's a milf.

What?
Have you even played the game?
She began teaching like, one year before the events of the game.

Maybe those glasses and lipstick are doing strange things to your dick, I won't blame you for that, but she's far from being either a wahsed up college professor or a milf.

>> No.3183012

>>3182985

the headcanon is strong in this one

>> No.3183115

>>3182749
"fine, I get it"

>> No.3183289

>>3182918
Well I much prefer a walking Linkin Park album than yet another socially-awkward harem animu protagonist, so I'm glad for the changes they did.

>> No.3183330

>>3182989
Same for me anon! FFVIII was not my first rpg, but it remains my absolute favorite to this day. I have traveled through oceans of time attempting to recreate the pleasure I experienced during my first playthrough of FFVIII. But I am beginning to think no game will ever trigger the same highs and lows I felt as a young teen battling a time travelling Sorceress for the girl I love.

>> No.3183550

>>3183289
I'm not, I much prefer the socially-awkward but well-meaning guy over the angsty little bitch who treats his so-called "friends" like garbage.

>> No.3183806
File: 6 KB, 58x64, Ward1.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>what did you enjoy most in the game
The whole deal with Squall and Rinoa

>Favorite Character?
Probably Squall and Laguna

>Favorite GF?
Carbuncle and Alexander purely for aesthetics

>Did you beat Ultima Weapon?
Yeah, had everyone maxed out and junctioned but no aura spam or anything. It was pretty easy.

>Did you beat Ultima weapon?
Yep, pretty hard but I just grinded.

>Favorite track from the OST?
Man with the Machinegun or Eyes on Me.

Hands down my favorite FF.

>> No.3183814

>>3178491

He looks blazed as shit in that picture.

>> No.3183854

Gunblade.

>> No.3184123
File: 81 KB, 800x549, 047.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

No lolVoldo-cosplay Kiros fans?

>> No.3184149

>>3184123
They look solid actually.

>> No.3184175
File: 50 KB, 500x500, 1453646835322.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

easily, the BEST thing about ff8 is ENC-NONE.
if you don't suck at the game, you get diablo immediately and can play the game with the cinematic approach that it deserves.
hoewever, people that treat every rpg as GRIND GRIND GRIND end up becoming vanquished by the smallest enemy.
(btw lowest level i've beat the game at is 27)

>> No.3184228

>>3184149
Yes I am sure this is how people imagined Laguna & Pals to look irl.

>> No.3184734

Setting/World, Triple Triad, Junction System, the Ragnarok and mobile Garden
>favorite character?
The Squall/Laguna juxtaposition was pretty awesome at times. Quistis has always been a high score for me, and Xu and the resistance guys are underrated but awesome characters.
>favorite GF?
Bahamut, Diablos, and Odin. Odin and Bahamut have my favorite designs in VIII. Doomtrain, Cactuar and Tonberry also have fun factors to them.
Ultimate Weapon and Omega Weapon. I really enjoyed both fights.
Straight up. It wasn't until my 3rd playthrough that I even bothered to Draw-Cast Apocalypse, though. Next time I play, I'm going to OCD stat-max without stat junctions, so that I'm covered if she tries to blow something vital out.
Lunatic Pandora and The Extreme. Maybe I'm A Lion comes close, though. I always loved the version the Black Mages did of that.

>> No.3184806

>>3178642
>If you looking for older games either VI for the story or V for the gameplay.
I agree strongly with this. If you like V, also play III, as dumb as that may sound.
I did my first run on the remade III a month or so ago (Steam version), and really loved it, despite it being a bit bare compared to V. Weird, since I didn't like the original III as much for some reason.

>> No.3184813

>>3184734
Nice, you seemingly were able to enjoy most of the game. Pointing out the mobile garden, I always thought that was sweet as well. The timber owls guys were a cool duo as well and I agree that Odin is done very well in this game. Man I always forget apocalypse as well, sheesh and yes Maybe I'm a lion is one ballsy track, good stuff.

>> No.3186604

>>3177315
Either the music or some of the area scenes (balamb garden, minotaur tomb, lunatic pandora)

>favorite character?
Squall, but I also liked quistis, selfie (had a crush on a girl that looked like her), laguna, and good edea quite a bit

>favorite GF?
siren because boobs, but bahamut is always cool
does griever count? because he's the coolest

yes (on my latest playthrough 7 years ago)

aura spam (a friend gave me the guide for my birthday before I ever actually owned the game, so I knew more than I should)

man with the machine gun

>favorite fan theory
rinoa is ultimecia

>> No.3186623

>>3177549
>playing through the ragnarok for the first time
"What?!? Words in MY final fantasy?"

forgot to say in last post that the lionheart is my favorite sword from any final fantasy

>> No.3186625

>>3186604
Yeah, the scenery throughout the game had quite a few enjoyable locations. And indeed, young me appreciated the lewd GFs as well. Good Edea is underrated as a character also.

>> No.3187048

>>3186604
>rinoa is ultimecia
anybody have any evidence for why this ISNT true?

because I have yet to see it

>> No.3187089
File: 841 KB, 1498x863, FFVIII_Squall_Ending.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Squall is CUTE!

>> No.3188764

>>3187048
Well if you have Rinoa in your party at the end there's a chance she might kill herself. Also, there is nothing that says sorceresses live for that long.

I think the R=U is a cool idea, but if it is true I wish they would have removed any doubt and they could have done a lot of other fun things with it aswell. More hints here and there. They wouldn't have to spell it out, but they could have made Ultimecia at least look a bit like Rinoa, or they could have said something about the lifespan of sorceresses, maybe some hints about Ultimecia's past etc. I just feel like if they truly intended that R=U they would have done it a lot better.

>> No.3188768

>>3188764
>They wouldn't have to spell it out, but they could have made Ultimecia at least look a bit like Rinoa, or they could have said something about the lifespan of sorceresses, maybe some hints about Ultimecia's past etc. I just feel like if they truly intended that R=U they would have done it a lot better.

Well, Ulty's weapons in Dissidia are Rinoa's weapons so there's that.

>> No.3188796 [DELETED] 
File: 345 KB, 700x821, rinsor3.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Something like that in FFVIII and not another game which I wouldn't exactly consider canon would be really cool. It's not like they spell it out that Laguna is Squall's father either, but it's very heavily implied. I don't think the R=U theory is as solid, and I think they would have made it more obvious for a lack of a better word(sorry english is not my main language) if that was their idea as they managed to that with the Laguna/Squall thing. I like the idea of Rinoa turning into an evil sorceress though.

>> No.3188801 [DELETED] 

>>3188796
was meant as an answer to >>3188768

>> No.3188828

>>3188764
>Well if you have Rinoa in your party at the end there's a chance she might kill herself.

Full-Life.

>Also, there is nothing that says sorceresses live for that long.

Time compression.

>> No.3188843

>>3187089
Best looking FF MC. Would fuck over and over again.

>> No.3188919
File: 10 KB, 320x224, 00144.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3177315
The love story, honestly. And not just how Squall's acknowledging his feelings for Rinoa coincided with him coming to terms with his abandonment issues, but the whole destiny angle. Laguna and Julia and how their respective children realized their parents' unrequited love with Julia's love song about Laguna playing in the background.
>>favorite character?
Squall - Laguna a very close second.
>>favorite GF?
Bull Brothers. I always smile.
Yes.
Straight up. When I got the game we had dial-up, a communal computer, and I didn't even know about gaming websites.
Eyes on Me.

>> No.3189056

>>3188828
>Full-life.
Doesn't the characters get absorbed into time or something along those lines if they die during the first fight and stay KOed for too long though? So if she does this to herself, she can't ressurect herself and she will be gone.

>Time compression.
TIme compression is weird, but it says Ultimecia is from far into the future. The reasons she travels back in time through the minds of sorceresses is so she can find Ellone and cast Time Compression isn't it? Been awhile since I played it sorry. So she doesn't actually cast it until far into the future sometime, and Rinoa would be dead then.

>> No.3189086
File: 30 KB, 450x451, 1144227131913.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3187048
>>rinoa is ultimecia
>anybody have any evidence for why this ISNT true?

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps/197343-final-fantasy-viii/faqs/34215
Read through the "The Rinoa = Ultimecia theory" section of this FAQ. It is made by the exact same people who originally came up with the whole R=U bullshit in 2003, goes through every aspect of the theory and why they don't hold up in the end while still giving the theory a fair shake.

>>3188768
>Ulty's weapons in Dissidia are Rinoa's weapons so there's that.
By this logic Tidus and Wakka are also the same person because Tidus can use Wakka's blitzballs in Dissidia. Oh wait, Kuja can also use Garnet's Whale Whisker so they must be the same person! And what about Golbez being able to equip Stardust Rod? He must be either Rydia or Porom! Wait, everyone can use swords with the Equip Swords ability so Gilgamesh=every FF character!