[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 240 KB, 2048x1536, masterofpuppets.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3166219 No.3166219 [Reply] [Original]

I have a opportunity to get pretty good deal on sega master system 2, but i was wondering if it's worth it since second model doesn't support rgb scart.
So my question is does the rgb scart make a huge difference compared to composite? Because if it does, i'll just keep looking for 1st gen master system.

>> No.3166223

>>3166219
The dithering will look like shit. But hey you get le sharp pixels just like in my emus xD so it's totally worth it.

>> No.3166227
File: 2.48 MB, 4000x2200, Sega-Master-System-Set[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I have an SMS 1 and the RGB doesn't work. All my other consoles work find but this one doesn't. Maybe the caps are busted, I dunno.

Anyways, I much prefer the SMS1, but that's mainly because the lack of a reset button on the SMS2 is a bit of a deal breaker for me, and I also think the SMS1 looks way more aesthetically pleasing.

If you don't mind the design and the lack of reset button, I say you might as well go for the Master System II. They're usually a lot cheaper than the SMS1. Hell, last time I checked an SMS2 with Alex Kidd built in was cheaper than the Alex Kidd game itself. Master System's RF looks just fine to me (playing on a CRT, bear in mind).

>> No.3166235

>>3166227
Well, i mostly want Master System for Phantasy Star 1 and i do agree it looks terrible.
But price is 50€ including wires, 2 controllers and 3 games (1 boxed), so it really is pretty good deal.
Didn't know about the reset button, but does many games need it? Also is the lack of card port big deal?
-OP

>> No.3166253

>>3166235
The lack of a card port is only a big deal if you want the 3D glasses (which are quite expensive and only work with a few games, but I hear they're cool). As far as I'm aware all of the games released in Europe on the Sega Card (there's less than 20 I'm pretty sure) were re-released on cartridge, and the cards are less common and therefore more expensive than their cartridge counterparts. Ironic, considering the cards were designed to be cheap alternatives to carts.

No games really need the reset button, but I have a tendency to reset the game when I fuck up in arcade-style action games or platformers, which is quite often. If you turn the console off and on again it runs through the BIOS animation again which takes a few seconds, whereas reset just takes you immediately back to the title screen, so it saves some time for me.

There aren't really any major downsides to the Master System II that will ruin your ability to enjoy the games themselves, which is probably why they're the more common model in Europe.

Saying that, if you're mainly interested in Phantasy Star, be aware that there are other options that you may prefer. Phantasy Star was the first console JRPG to be released in English and as such the translation can be rather rough. There is a translation from SMSPower! that is very good. If you have a mega drive and a flashcart you can play Master System games on that instead, including the retranslation. Or if you choose to emulate that translation, you can enjoy the FM sound as well. The Japanese SMS had an FM module that some games used, but this wasn't included in the western releases, and the FM sound was removed from the English release of Phantasy Star.

You may want to consider those options, but the original is still good. I'm actually currently playing through Phantasy Star on my Master System right now, because, even taking into account the translation patch and the FM sound, I decided I would prefer to play it on my original console.

>> No.3168664

>>3166219
>does the rgb scart make a huge difference compared to composite
Yes.

>> No.3168731

>>3166235
Wonder Boy III kind of needs a reset button.

>> No.3168732

>>3168664
I think it depends what TV you're playing on, to be honest. On an LCD I find the Master System's RF or Composite looks pretty terrible, so I'd go with RGB. On a CRT they all look decent enough. Composite/RF has some of that colour bleed where the red pixels sort of leak into the other colours, but also the dithering works much better than with RGB. I honestly don't think it makes much difference if you're playing on a CRT.

>> No.3168735

>>3168731
Wonder Boy III doesn't need the reset button, it needs the pause button. The SMS II still has the pause button.

>> No.3168981

>>3166219
There is a RGB scart cable for Master System 2 as well. It came with French RGB Model. It's very easy to mod that console to output 60hz by the way, you should look for that.

>> No.3168982

>>3168732
RGB will alway slook better that RF on any TV.
For composite, I guess it depends on taste but I still prefer RGB because it gives me a much clearer picture and more vivid colors.

>> No.3169507

>>3166219
Nope. It only supports RF.

>> No.3170228

>>3166219
>master system 2
>good deal