[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 2.34 MB, 1920x1080, friends.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3155272 No.3155272[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

There is a Kickstarter going on right now to make a documentary on the Mother series.

>> No.3155278

It was already shilled here yesterday, fuck off.

>> No.3155285

Why can't we report shit for advertising anymore?

>> No.3155292

Man it's a good thing that no one wants this to happen. If I was advertising for it then I think I would be posting a little more than just this one thing.

>> No.3155364

I don't trust any documentaries from kickstarter after the one I saw, not to mention one about one series of games you know they're going to have no involvement of Nintendo and Itoi

>> No.3155393

>>3155364
>no involvement of Nintendo and Itoi

Speaking of which, how the fuck are they going to depict the games in the documentary? Nintendo has become infamously draconian with people using footage of their games on Youtube, so are these fucks going to show in their doc? Are they going to shoot the gameplay footage from being play on a screen?

I give them one thing in that they know there is no way they can pull music from the games hence why they're using music "inspired" by Mother, but when the game is shown, are they gonna have music from playing too?

Wouldn't be surprised if they haven't thought of this.

>> No.3155403

>>3155393
They can pull fair use in a doc like you would be able to in any real show, Nintendo goes after youtube because people will post just gameplay with little to no commentary which honestly doesn't bother me at all

>> No.3155460

>>3155272
I despise Kickstarter. They never deliver properly, take too long to deliver, or always deliver something improperly or lower quality than promised.

>> No.3155462

>>3155460
It's a fundraising service, not an online store.

>> No.3155467

>>3155462
Doesn't matter. The fundraising is rarely ever properly allocated or used in the way the Kickstarter says it will be.

>> No.3155484

>>3155272
Massive motherfag here
God that's beyond stupid, Mother's history is one of the most documented franchise histories in gaming, almost every review of these games will give you 90% of the fucking story.
I'll save you the runtime of this documentary right now
>Mother 1 was inspired by dragon's quest and Itoi getting high on AMERICA and only got released in Japan because the translated version was finished too close to the SNES
>Earthbound is essentially Mother 1, except a good game. there's some weird cut content but nothing compared to 3. Only one outside of Japan initially.
>Mother 3 was gonna be on the N64, have 16 chapters, be even darker than it is now, have a shitty ending, and a lot of this shows in the game's unused content. it was also under hefty development hell the entire way through, taking over 5 years of work. Only one that's still Japan only
I'm skimming here but seriously you don't have to look that far to learn about it.

The best this movie can do is get even more awareness of Mother's existence out there. There's definitely nothing else doing that already, no siree.

>> No.3155509

>>3155484
The best part I found was this.

>Here are just a few of the individuals currently slated:
>Phil Sandhop - The original English script writer for Earthbound Beginnings

Nice one Roo: http://www.lostlevels.org/200407/200407-earthbound2.shtml

>> No.3155532
File: 146 KB, 537x452, 1451675114427.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3155272
This picture is shit. Why are they all long and thin, Pretty sure Ness was supposed to be pleasantly plump, since a bunch of people call you fat boy before they fight you.
Flying man is supposed to be built, and what the fuck is wrong with Mr. Saturn? They're supposed to be huggable small, not microchip small. 0/10

>> No.3155546

>>3155532
I think you missed the biggest problem
>PORKY "FORK THE STORK" MINCH ISN'T A LARDASS
>PORKY "MUTATE OR AMPUTATE" MINCH ISN'T A FATTIE
>PORKY "BLUE PAINT ON HER TAINT" MINCH ISN'T OBESE
>PORKY "AXE ALL YAKS" MINCH IS SKINNY
>PORKY "DREADS THE REDS" MINCH IS HEALTHY
help I'm bad at these

>> No.3155579

>>3155484
this, i'd rather see a documentary about love de lic or something. mother's fanbase is (justly) rabid about any and all information about the games. you can even buy the creator's daily planner line in english now. i use one and they're great.

>> No.3155589

>>3155278
no you fuck off this is the perfect thread we can all talk shit about the autistic mother fanbase in.

Is this movie being produced by starmen.net and sponsored by the autism society?

>> No.3155636

Does it explain why a perv in a top hat keeps stalking and photographing young children and coaxing them to say a sexual euphemism?

>> No.3155643

>>3155460
>>3155467
Consider it a lesson. It shows you the risk of being a producer of any media. With that said, I refuse to take part of that risk and leave it to actual producers or other kickstarter suckers.

>> No.3155743

>>3155272
Remember that advertisement campaign? The one where they were just constantly saying the game stinks and talking about how bad it smells?

What was with that? That's probably why it sold so abysmally in the US. Literally their whole ad campaign was "this game stinks, this game smells like shit, it smells bad, it is offensive to the senses, it has a disgusting odor, it will make you vomit, it will make your friends abandon you and your parents throw you out because they won't want to be anywhere near that disgusting stench, it will literally make you vomit and want to die it smells so bad, THIS GAME SMELLS LIKE SHIT AND ROT AND DEATH, IT WILL DRAW SUSPICION AND THE POLICE WILL INVESTIGATE TO FIND OUT IF IT'S A BADLY ROTTING CORPSE, DO NOT BUY IF YOU AT ALL VALUE YOUR SENSE OF SMELL."

What was Nintendo of America even thinking with that?

>> No.3155776

>>3155743
>Remember that advertisement campaign?

That ad campaign drove me from playing Earthbound (despite several of my friends owning it and offering to let me borrow it) until fucking 2011.

And it wasn't really all that good anyway, don't feel like I missed out at all.

>> No.3155782

>>3155272
I always thought the Runaway five were fatter

>> No.3155791

>>3155579
>love de lic
now that would be interesting. I hope Moon gets translated soon.

>> No.3155796
File: 38 KB, 250x346, jake_and_elwood.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3155782
They were based on the Blues Brothers. Only one of them was fat.

>> No.3155845

>>3155743
There is a tendency in video fame fandoms to blame advertising for being the reason a particular game or game series didn't sell, whether a lack of advertising or off putting advertising. Earthbound is a great example of this.

It's because some people just don't want to accept that their game or series inherently has niche appeal.

Earthbound's advertising was based on the gross out trend of the early to mid 90s, and was entirely consistent with other advertising of that era. Of course, considering the majority of Earthbound fans only knew about the series from Super Smash Bros, it doesn't surprise me that their memory of this time period is poor or nonexistent.

>> No.3155895

>>3155285
It's a standard rule violation. There is no point in offering an extra option for it. It doesn't require special measures the same way illegal content does.

>> No.3155947

>>3155272
Why do faggots put everything in Kickstarter? Any asshole with a decent cell phone camera and some lighting could make a no budget documentary about a popular game series with a cursory Google search.

>> No.3155996

>>3155272

That art seems so counter to the aesthetic of Mother it's nutty

>> No.3156017

>>3155462
exactly

>> No.3156106

>>3155947
Most cell phone cameras are shit with few options compared to even DSLR cameras. Anyone using them to film shit is retarded.

But this doc is still a massive waste of time. A series of written articles or, at most, a series of audio interviews/podcasts would suffice. No one cares what Demiforce looks like or what color shirt he wore when he hacked EB Zero in 1998. In fact I wouldn't be surprised that with all the fancy lighting and camera angles that he has a face made for radio. The only thing we want is pure information. Most of which we got from Sandhop in that 13 year old Lost Levels interview.

>> No.3156129

>paying money to kikestarter so that a bunch of nu male millennials can basically read the Wikipedia page of a series history that no bank or lending group would ever consider investing in because of the massive risk of them missing every deadline and delivering a shitty product that no one will be satisfied with

>> No.3156252
File: 168 KB, 600x338, https%3A%2F%2F49.media.tumblr.com%2F6b38eadedcef14306a4ad812d214cfc3%2Ftumblr_nxuickpjJ01r3bxzso1_r1_1280.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

What a stupid as fuck idea, at least with the Earthbound USA their meeting Itoi so I'll at least watch that. I'm sure next to nothing will be learned from this.

>> No.3156258

Kickstarters in general are normally stupid fucking ideas with all the backers bitching and whining when they don't get updates 24 fucking 7 and when rewards don't come the first fucking day of the first fucking month they were promised.

Kickstarter in general is a platform for a bunch of bullshit that entitled babies screech about.

I DONATED GIVE ME MY PRODUCTS

NO

NO YOU FUCKING IDIOTS

YOU PAID AND WERE PROMISED REWARDS FOR YOUR DONATIONS, YOU DIDN'T JUST "PURCHASE" A FUCKING PRODUCT. YOU KICKSTARTED A NEW PRODUCT. YOU PAID TO GET IT MADE. THE REWARDS ARE JUST A FUCKING BONUS THEY WANT TO GIVE YOU

>> No.3156264

>>3156258
What if the bonus was a copy of the product?

>> No.3156271

>>3155272
why is this fanbase so gay? this shit has been on my mind for a while now like they always center their own development as a human being around playing Earthbound when they were a kid and now they're like 30 years old mopping up puke at a mall with no good stores, and no achievements to speak of

these turbolards and their greasy pringle ass sweat

It's an RPG with some very different aesthetics. It's modern day, and it's a charming little game.