[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 143 KB, 800x551, gpd-xd.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3145237 No.3145237 [Reply] [Original]

Anyone got the GPD XD? I'm trying to figure out what kind of portable console I should get. Which one has better games? But in reality I'm just trying to play some front mission 3. I'm looking at The vita the new 3ds XL and the gpd XD. I'm trying to see which one is the better fit for me because I can only afford one and what ever fist full of games I can buy used for whatever console fits me the best.

>> No.3145262

just buy a psp

>> No.3145264

>>3145262
This

>> No.3145272

>>3145264
really? a PSP? why not the vita? whats the difference? kinda want to play some n64 games tho and metal slug or w/e old dusty gems you guys can recommend

>> No.3145287

>>3145272
The Vita isn't hacked, and so the only emulated games it can play are PSP and PSOne games that were purchased of the PlayStation Store.

>> No.3145290

>>3145272
The difference is the vita actually has competent security; you're not going to be using it for the emulation of anything other than what PS1 games are available in the store.

>> No.3145295

>>3145287
thanks man, one more question can you play n64 games on the psp? can they even run good? What other games can the psp play? like DS games? are there and phoenix wright games? I could google this stuff but I think a person that has a psp can answer my questions faster

>> No.3145372

>>3145295

N64 emulation in general is garbage, PSP is no exception. DS emulation on PSP sucks too, you're better off getting an old DS for dirt cheap if playing DS games are important to you.

>> No.3145887
File: 13 KB, 640x400, AUTISMWARNING.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I find handhelds comfy too. Here's what I play on:

DMG/GBC: I play these on my DS Lite and Dsi. The screens aren't too much higher resolution so you can play at 1:1 scaling and the screen's a reasonable size.
Apparently PSP does well too, but with 1:1 scaling the screen is postage-stamp sized. Gambatte on 3ds has somewhat glitchy sound (internal clipping?), in addition to similar "postage stamp" sized screen.

NES: Old 3ds, New 3ds. DS can emulate it well, but has too low resolution for 1:1 mapping so you have to choose from a bunch of different scaling options, all bad. Dunno

Genesis: New 3ds (Old 3ds runs full speed like ~97% of the time, just gets messed up by the waterfalls in Sonic 2 and the pseudo 3d. I think the VC official titles injects are better about this)

SNES: New 3ds is pretty great. Old 3ds has an emulator, but it kinda sucks. Apparently PSP *can* play SNES, but it's a clusterfuck.

PS1:
I just got a PSP Go but I still need a charger for it so I haven't hacked it yet, apparently the PS1 emulation is top-notch (runs natively?). There's an emulator for n3ds but it's still in the 20-45 fps range with glitchy/no sound, maybe it will get better?

N64: N64 emulation is kind of a fukkn mess still, especially on anything that's not x86. There's no 3ds emulator (yet?), and the PSP one is a novelty that can only handle SM64.
My loonix thinkpad x200 + mayflash adapter + original controller setup runs great (and the whole setup is actually cheaper than a New 3ds), but it's backpack-portable instead of pocket-portable.
Shill-type, text-only reviews of the GPD XD say N64 emu is "basically flawless" or "very good", but from looking at youtube videos it doesn't really look to meet my autism threshold. Looks like it runs full speed most of the time but has enough random stutters and frame dips that would throw me out of my comfort zone for fast games. Maybe you'd be fine with it, judge for yourself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TJaZRKy5ZI

>> No.3145905

>>3145887
Picodrive(Genesis) on PSP has worked well for me.

>> No.3145943

>>3145887

I hit the post limit. To summarize:

DMG: DSi + Flash cart

NES/SNES/Genesis: New 3DS

PS1: PSP

N64: GPD XD or similar is your only real option in the pocket-form-factor.

Those are just my 2c, as someone who hasn't set up his PSP or used the GPD at all. I like the clamshell form factor way better than the slate form factor so you don't have to worry about screen scratches. As far as controls go, I trust Nintendo (and to a lesser extent Sony) to make high-quality, durable input devices much more than some random chinese company. Down the road, finding spare parts or cheap donor consoles is also probably going to be much easier if you go with an established console from Nintendo or Sony that sold millions of units. A friend had a PSP 1000 and it seemed too heavy/clunky and fragile to me. Felt much more like a drop would ruin it as compared to the DS line.

If you're a retard/computer noob, apparently PSPs are much easier to hack than 3ds's. 3ds still has exploits open, but Nintendo is still actively working to patch them. Hacking my first 3DS was a 6 hour process from start to piracy, and you can brick it if you fuck up. All variants of OG DS are vulnerable to $10-$15 flash cards (+$5 microSD) and they're basically drag and drop.

(turned out to be another long autism post, jej)

>> No.3146058 [DELETED] 

>>3145237
>XD
>>>/v/

>> No.3146128

>>3145237
Either buy a PSP or a New 3DS XL, which is an absurdly powerful revision of the original 3DS and the only portable that can run SNES games with 100% accuracy..

>> No.3146335

>>3145943
>N64: GPD XD or similar is your only real option in the pocket-form-factor.
Pyra and GDP Win will come out soon. Both are powerful enough for N64 and even DC emulation but will most likely cost you an arm and a leg (Pyra projected between 500-650$, GPD Win announced at 300$ for backers, 500$ retail)

>> No.3146337
File: 483 KB, 1920x1440, openpandora_multitasking.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3145237
I really enjoyed using the Pandora because of the FOSS environment but right now the XD seems to be the better deal if you really just want to emulate (and don't care about all the ports and extra software the Pandora has available. Hint: It's more quality stuff than on Google Play). You can get a Pandora used for ~150€ on German ebay but for that money you'll get a new GPD XD.
Now as for the PSP, I also have one and it sucks even for SNES. I love the TYL project and I even donated money to YoyoFR but to be totally honest - the PSP is just too weak for good SNES emulation. GBA works well though. I use mine to play GBC, GBA, PS1 and Cave Story mostly.
I also used to own a Dingoo A320, running OpenDingux. It's a really really comfy handheld and it can play SNES better than the PSP can. However, no n64 support at all and PS1 is garbage.

>> No.3146339
File: 293 KB, 1259x1499, Dingoo_PSPGo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3146337
Pic of the Dingoo A320 and my PSP Go

>> No.3146363

>>3145237
I have a GPD XD and it's fantastic. Build quality is really good for a Chinese handheld, the only gripe I have is the dpad is a bit squishy.
There's a homebrew firmware for it now that let's you overclock to 1.8Ghz, plays Dreamcast and Saturn, so I'd highly recommend it.

>> No.3146385

>>3146339
>>3146128
Not OP.
Is PSP e1000 good enough? It's the one I can get for around $35 right this instant. I've heard it's worse than earlier models, so Im unsure.

>> No.3146391

>>3146385
Get a 2000. It has the best build quality and a slightly higher RAM than the 1000.

>> No.3146398

>>3145237
if you have a decent android you can run DS games on it fine with some paid app [like 7 dollars]
ive been replaying pokemon platinum and soul silver
n64 emulation is shit pretty much anywhere from what i know, tho i've got pokemon stadium to run on mine.
NES/SNES/Gameboy can all be done on android without issue as well from what ive seen

to my knowledge, PSP games can also be played, tho i havent tried

other emulation i have no knowledge of

>> No.3146413

I found the XD to be a decent piece of hardware that was let down by the godawful software.
The OS felt so amateur and black market or something and sadly I'm not tech savvy enough to know how to flash a stock android ROM onto it.
Instead I use a DS Lite and PSP Go as my go-to handhelds (also a backlit original GBA, but not retro or whatever)

>> No.3146417

>>3146413
Flashing a new ROM is as easy as downloading it to your SD card. Have a look on Dingoonity.org under Android/GPD Devices. Skelton's ROM is much, MUCH better than the stock.

>> No.3146419

>>3146413
Flashing android devices is as simple as putting in an SD card, plugging it into PC via USB cable and pressing 2 buttons. That's it.

And there are already firmwares out there that root out all the bugs and bloatware as well as boost up the system.

>> No.3146989

>>3145272
psp can emulate well practically only mario64. if you want to play Metal Slug on the psp there is an anthology with all the games til 6 and metal slug xx(7).

>> No.3147040

I'm seriously considering the GPD Win. I fukn hate the botnet but it seems memey enough that maybe we'll get linux on it at some point. Worst comes to worst I could just transfer all my roms, DOS games etc onto it and leave it airgapped.

Normally I'm pretty skeptical about these kikestarter type things, but the fact that they've actually mass-produced a working piece of hardware I can buy on amazon gives them a bit of credibility. $300 is just under my limit to say "fuck it" and buy an entertainment device I don't need, $500 and up gets a lot harder to justify buying that instead of a fully-loaded thinkpad etc I could run CAD on.

Is that Pyra-anon still around? Anyone owned both a GPD device and a Pyra and can comment more on the input devices/ control feedback of the two?

>> No.3147071

>>3147040
The trouble with both Pyra and Pandora is that the guy making them takes way too long to release them, by which the hardware arrives dated and wayyyyy overpriced for what it is.

I appreciate that it's a small team following their dreams, but couldn't they look into some financial backing to actually take on the likes of GPD and other emu handheld makers?

>> No.3147074

>>3147071
Pandora was made by a different guy.
They're also making them for a niche market and there's 3/4 people working on it.

>> No.3147105

>>3146391

>2000 has best build quality

How does the build quality of the 2000 compare to the 3000? I just ordered a 3000 yesterday because I heard it had a better screen, but this is the first I've heard that the 2000 has a better build quality.

Are there any differences besides the screen?

>> No.3147149

>>3147105
1000's fine, the only problem I've had is running PS1 eboots which is a bit frustrating, something to do with firmware but you can have that problem with any version.
Just remember to do a bit of homework before you set it up.

>> No.3147250

>>3147074
No, they were both created by EvilDragon. This time without Craig the Jew though.

>> No.3147449
File: 16 KB, 425x425, 71CsJPn1arL._SX425_.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3146128

>New 3DS XL has 100% SNES accuracy

Own one and love it, but it's not really 100%. You have to make tradeoffs between fastest speed but most visual glitches (PocketSNES), full speed on 99% of games with minor visual glitches (CatSFC), or occasional slowdowns but excellent accuracy (CatSFC Plus).

As an example, PocketSNES runs Chrono Trigger full speed, but there's somewhat annoying color banding on the dialogue boxes. CatSFC runs full speed, but the top 8-16 scanlines sometimes flicker or spaz out a bit during battle or lots of layer effects. I haven't observed any glitches with CatSFC Plus, but it slows down to half speed during certain layer effects, such as the clouds on the overworld when you go back in time after the faire (switched to CatSFC at this point).

I want to try injecting the roms into VC now that nintendo released SNES VC, but I was unable to get the toolchain working properly, and all the community-made ones I found just crashed on boot. Nintendo has pretty high standards for their VC stuff, but then again they only stand behind and did QC on the official releases so I wouldn't be surprised if the emu doesn't have the same level of polish on arbitrary roms.

Finally, it's worth noting that most games with special chips (Yoshi's Island etc) are *playable*, but only run about half speed or less. I don't remember if Star Fox 1 and 2 work, but I'm almost certain they don't run full speed even if so.

There's also the possibility that the retroarch cores will continue to get better and better.

Overall the games are fun and very playable, but I'd say the emulation is closer to 95% or 97% instead of 100%.

>> No.3147487

>>3147449
not to mention that unless you have older firmware it's super tough to get homebrew in and running.

>> No.3147487,1 [INTERNAL] 

>>3147105
3000 is a fine piece of psp.
I dislike the screen though.
It may be better in direct sunlight but it has some ghosting and you can see the scanlines.

That's the only difference.
Oh yeah they replaced the home button for a PS button.
Happy hacking ur psp it is really a 10min job nowadays and u open it to a world of homebrew games and apps great ports emulators and everything.
Espacially the ps1 wich runs in the native emulator. 100%
only time it gave lag for me was some compressed eboot from 20mb. wich should have been 450mb.

>> No.3149853

>>3146385
fuck the bait, psp emulation is just meme tier unless you want playstation 1 emulation.

>> No.3150108

>>3149853
>meme

that's the worst usage of the word "meme" I've ever seen in my life. you deserve to be violently anally raped by a pack of niggers for being such a retarded piece of shit

>> No.3150178
File: 50 KB, 607x490, GPD_WIN.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The GPD Win actually has me pretty excited. It may not have the simplistic appeal of an Android-based handheld, although I've been waiting for years to see someone make an X86 Windows-based handheld. It's no Razer Edge in terms of power, but for $300 I think it looks quite reasonably priced. I'd be quite happy to be able to play emulators and indie games from my Steam library on it.

The thing about Android handhelds is that they're great for emulators, but the new games that are available for Android kind of suck because they're all cash grabbers designed around touch controls. 2D games and simple 3D games for PC are much more alluring, and that's all on top of the fact that this thing will be nice for emulators and maybe even some productivity.

>> No.3150438

>>3150178
I've had a soft modded PSP for about a year. I like it a lot, but that GPD with windows looks sexy as hell.

PSP has pretty rough super nintendo emulation, but great playstation, nes, gba, etc.

Seems like in addition to emulators, there's a lot you could do with that thing. Does it have wifi built in?

>> No.3150443

>>3150438
As far as I know it has wifi.

I know what you mean about SNES emulation on the PSP, too. I actually managed to somehow beat Super Metroid on my PSP. That was the first time I'd even beaten the game. Needless to say it was very choppy at times, but it was one of the rare occasions where I was so engrossed in playing the game that I was willing to put up with serious imperfections in the emulation.

>> No.3150618

>>3150178
thats a fucking awful place to put the power button

>> No.3151216

>>3145237
To clear some thinks up.

Yes vita can run all psp titles and homebrew, I own one.

The catch? You need to run tnv which requires an exploit game and the vita ofw needs to be older.

I,ve found neo geo cd emulation to be exceptionally good using the latest version of mvspsp 2.3.4 or 2.3.1 from memory, as a newer version emu was released a few years later than the prev stock bersion

Playing emu on handheld with oled screen is mad fun.

>> No.3151220

>>3151216
littered with typos, my bad, blaming phone.

>> No.3151378

>>3146335
I'm backing the win, looks great. I've wanted a portable computer like that for ages.

>> No.3152962
File: 206 KB, 404x512, pocketChipVec.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3147040
>>3150178
Have you guys checked this puppy out?

The Pocketchip only has 512 mb of ram and a 1ghz processor, but for $60, its not too bad, right?

I'm heavily considering getting one for SNES emulation (since the Xperia Play I got always slows down when I play Gradius III).