[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 136 KB, 256x308, Shadow_Warrior_Coverart.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3136103 No.3136103 [Reply] [Original]

Fuck me, this game is so damn good. Is this game only not remembered as much because it has such an unbelievable high demand of difficulty and attention? It did teach me how to get really good at FPS though.

>> No.3136112
File: 238 KB, 1280x1024, swp0049.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I think there are several reasons to why it wasn't that successful.

By that time, half the FPS players were into 3D games like Quake.

The other half, was onto DN3D, which SW was a lot like, except DN3D had a much bigger community already going strong, both in terms of online play and modding.

The fact SW mapping is an awful lot more complicated than DN3D didn't help keep its popularity. You can do a lot of stuff in SW, but the more you can do, the harder mapping becomes.
The amount of quality single usermaps can be counted on your hands, and it only has a couple of interesting usermade episodes too.

Also it only had one add-on, as the 2 others got cancelled (we got Wanton Destruction but only years later).

I've been working on a map though that I'm trying to finish, working on it as we speak...

There is already a Build thread though >>3130152

>> No.3136281

>>3136103
>Is this game only not remembered as much because it has such an unbelievable high demand of difficulty and attention?
Nah, it just came out at a time when the industry was transitioning to full 3D. You got Quake the year before it came out and people wanted the new rather than same old 2.5D.

But yeah great game m80.