[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 61 KB, 450x600, 1459636849332.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3123196 No.3123196 [Reply] [Original]

What are your favorite turn based RPGs and what are your favorite battle and gameplay mechanics in them?
What makes turn based RPGs fun to you?
What is the ideal party size?

>> No.3123201

6 party members is perfect

2x Fighters
2x Mages
1x Thief
1x Cleric/Healer/whatever

>> No.3123331
File: 133 KB, 640x480, 12-Breath_of_Fire_IV_02547.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Breath of Fire 4 did it best

>> No.3123379

>>3123196
>What are your favorite turn based RPGs and what are your favorite battle and gameplay mechanics in them?
For a long time it was Earthbound. I liked how you could just play with one hand using the L-button as a universal "do this on a context specific thing" button. Also liked how enemies could run away from you at higher levels and die instantly if you run into them.
Now it's SMT: Soul Hackers, I've played the 3DS enhanced port and love lots of things. While it's technically random encounters, you can tell when an encounter will occur while walking through dungeons, talking to demons/demon fusion is always fun, and custom demon swords/demon. Just a very fast paced game with lots of customization options
>What makes turn based RPGs fun to you?
They have to be fast, I like to disable animations, speed up text, and while I don't like a game to be easy, ID appreciate going through battle ui to be a breeze.
>What is the ideal party size?
That's tough, I'd say between 4 & 6.

>> No.3123381

>>3123201
>6
Way too many, queerbo.

>> No.3123779

>>3123196
PS4.
>battle and gameplay mechanics
Macros. Those plus combo attacks is a winning combination. Can't believe it never caught on.

>> No.3123914
File: 277 KB, 1000x800, 1451412711441.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3123331
BOF4 did a lot of things right. Great game.

>> No.3124019

>>3123196
>ideal party size?
Harem with tight pussys and Sharia-approved.

>> No.3125142
File: 2.90 MB, 1920x1200, 27377278_p0.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3123331
>>3123914

>> No.3125205
File: 1.46 MB, 1050x1450, 7e294e377d286ab2839b09e248cf63f3af8a8c27.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3123196
>What are your favorite turn based RPGs and what are your favorite battle and gameplay mechanics in them?
FFIX is my absolute gem. The perfect JRPG imo. Trance bullshit aside.
Bouncing 4 black magic spells off your reflected party with Vivi and hitting the enemy for huge damage is my favorite technique in the game.
Looks cool, sounds cool, and makes Vivi the real powerhouse of the game. Especially under his trance.

Overall the game feels really comfortable. I legitimately want to live in Lindblum. Though Dali would likely be nicer.

>> No.3125216

>turn based RPGs

How do you enjoy these?

Not so much the turned based combat but the turn based combat and random encounters. I just don't get it.

I only played a handful of RPGs back in the day.

>> No.3125260

>>3125216
>How do you enjoy these?
It's all about loving strategy over action with them.
Go into them like you would a game of chess, rather than a game of baseball.

Random encounters for example.
If you get annoyed by them, you're probably not suited for patient strategy.
When done correctly, random encs are made to force you to pace your item and magic use. It's less fun if you know exactly how many enemies you'll face, and even worse if it's possible to avoid said enemies, since encounters are pretty much what the games are all about. Preparation, planning, timing, execution(with ATB games).

>> No.3125274

>>3125260
When I'm lost and just want to get the fuck out of the area and i'm backtracking only to get more random encounters. That's the moment the game gets turned off and never played again. I feel like 50%-70% of the time I spend in these games is just trying to find where to go and wasting time in random battles.

>> No.3125276

>>3125205
>I legitimately want to live in Lindblum.

My African-American.

Virtual reality which is indistinguishable from actual reality when

>> No.3125332

>>3125276
What's real funny is I normally hate cities, but Lindblum has a soft, but mechanical comfy feeling to it.

But it's not alone. Even Esto Gaza felt like a nice place to live.
I played it first during Christmas 2000, and many of the locations seemed to mesh well with that Christmas-time feeling.

Come to think of it, FFVIII seemed to feel right at home during the summer days of june-aug as well. Especially the Timber area.
And the BOF games also worked well in the 1990s summer heat.
I associate some games so strongly with weather that certain IRL weather effects actually make me remember certain games.
Early fall(leaves still with a hint of green) in the NE US always makes me think of ALttP.

But FFIX takes the cake for comfy locales and its association with Xmas.

>> No.3125491

>>3123331
>>3123914
Should I play bof 3 or 4 first? I'm assuming 4 improves upon 3 but also hear 3 is better by most.

As far as the question in OP have to say non random encounters in games like chrono trigger and earthbound. Seems really simple but really makes getting into battles less annoying for me.

>> No.3125524

>>3125491
3 is very good and 4 is very good. Play them in order.

Have you already played the first two?

>> No.3125525
File: 159 KB, 478x709, doodle__odio__by_moa810.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>
Live-A-Live is probably my all-time favorite, but not for the mechanics. For the mechanics I play FFV, which I have beaten over 20 times by now

>
It's hard to say. Aside from story, art, music, etc? Perhaps the combined sense of exploration and character growth, that's what the genre excels in, moving to a new area and meeting new enemies and feeling a strong progression. If the game has customization, that makes it even better

>

>>3125205
I have only beaten IX last year and I am already having nostalgic feelings towards it. It's not even my favorite from the series, it has definite flaws and wonky storytelling at parts, but the comfy magical fairy-tale atmosphere it has going for it is incredible

>> No.3125530

Final Fantasy VIII.

Balamb Garden SeeD 4 life.

>> No.3125562

>>3125530
I loved and still love FFVIII.
People bitch and moan about it and how "broken" it is, but forget the fact that all RPGs can be broken if you abuse their gameplay systems.

For example, near endgame, I disjunction all magic from stats and use farmed stat-up items to make my characters into specific classes. Selphie as a pure black mage with high mag and low str for example. Makes the game nice and challenging when you can't just make all stats super-high using junctioned high-level spells.

>>3125525
IX has my favorite story of the series, actually. I like the SHIT'S BAD BUT FUCK YOU WE'RE MOVING FORWARD aura about it.Also not as much brooding with Zidane as with other protags. He has that one hiccup but gets over it and realizes he was acting like a douche, and moves on like a proper leader.

>> No.3125626

My favorite is SaGa Frontier 2. I just love sparking techs, team attacks and the need to rebuild your team all the time.

For me the genre is very relaxing, you almost always need to play slowly so you end up getting immersed in the worldbuilding, music, lore.

Ideal party size is clearly 4, though 5 is not bad.

>> No.3125662

>>3123196
Favorite is probably Final Fantasy Legend II / SaGa 2
It's pretty simplistic compared to a lot of games But it also still feels like there's a lot more variety with what you can do compared to most. Want a party of all robots? Sure. Hate swords? Then strap some guns to those assholes.

Of course the mechanics were broke so you're better off using rapiers and whips over swords. But I still love the intended variety.

But overall my absolute favorite mechanic was being able to use monsters. The exact same monsters that you fight throughout the game. I always thought that was cool because in a way you were using the same shit the game was and beating them with it. Ever since I've always loved when games allowed you to use generic enemy characters like that as party members, but it's actually disappointingly rare.

>> No.3127509

The first two Lunars are probably my favorites.

FFIV/V/VI, Grandia 1-2, and Chrono Trigger are also up there.

I also love srpgs like FFT and Tactics Ogre and other types of games with tactical elements like the Ogre Battle and Suikoden games.