[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 200 KB, 256x360, Alien_Soldier_Coverart.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3114335 No.3114335 [Reply] [Original]

Why did the SNES have worse arcade-action games than the Genesis despite having better hardware?

>> No.3114341

Blast processing.

>> No.3114342

>>3114341
/thread

>> No.3114370

How are you supposed to avoid Dr. Wily's second form attacks in Mega Man 2?

>> No.3114380

>>3114335
>SNES
>better

Here, OP, I took your bait.

>> No.3114405

>>3114380
But muh high definition sound technology!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtYF_9e2azE

>> No.3114419

>>3114335
Stop making console wars threads.

>> No.3114425

>>3114380
What games are even worth playing on Genesis? All my friends had SNES. I had SNES. Looking back on the library everything looks mediocre, but that could just be nostalgia because I never came in contact with the Genesis.

>> No.3114448

>>3114425
>What games are even worth playing on SNES? All my friends had Genesis. I had Genesis. Looking back on the library everything looks mediocre, but that could just be nostalgia because I never came in contact with the SNES.
This is how dumb you are.

>> No.3114467

>>3114448
It was a genuine question because I want to give the console a chance, but thanks for proving that the Genesis library has literally nothing but garbage and shovelware.

>> No.3114471

>>3114467
Have you tried the game in the OP? Have you tried the games by the company that made the game in the OP? Have you tried google?

Jeez you SNES fanboys are pathetic.

>> No.3114482
File: 33 KB, 340x300, metal-warriors-more.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3114335
Audience maybe? Sega had a different impression of what their customers wanted out of games than Nintendo and went for different kinds of games on average?

There are still some great action games on SNES and great non-action games on Genesis. Who cares what the ratios were?

>> No.3114556

>>3114335
Because it *didn't* have better hardware. Genesis had a faster CPU and higher default resolution, SNES had a better color palette and sound chip. The Genesis was better suited for fast action, and the SNES was better suited for games that relied on atmosphere and overall presentation.

>> No.3114563

>>3114556
>SNES had a better color palette and sound chip
SNES's sound chip is crippled by the tiny sample memory so any theoretical advantage is useless in practice.

>> No.3114568
File: 55 KB, 640x256, st2214_dbs1.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3114556
How come SNES got Super Turbo then?

>> No.3114594

Better processor, can handle more sprites on screen.

>> No.3114604

>>3114563
Come back with a Genesis game that isn't tinny as hell with farting sound effects and I'll come back with an SNES game that isn't muddy.

>> No.3115201

>>3114604
genesis farty bass > snes farty trumpets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCaoC7nXUi0

>> No.3115207

>>3114380

Dude it came out almost two years later I would hope it had better hardware and Im a huge sega fag

>> No.3115237

>>3114604
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYWclV9H2eY

Now where's your non-muffled SNES music?

>> No.3115239

>still uneducated as fuck with snes and genesis hardware
it's like you guys just came from /v/

>> No.3115247

>>3114568
Fighting games don't usually have nearly as much shit going on all at once as shmups or run 'n guns do.

>>3114563
I love me some good FM music, don't get me wrong, but the SNES sound chip was far ahead of its time. Of course, the SNES was plagued by low quality canned samples, and the Genesis was plagued by lazy composers who couldn't into FM synthesis. In the hands of the right people, both systems could produce beautiful music. Thinking about it now however, it is foolish to call one better than the other, since they excel in different areas. The SNES has extra flexibility with its sample-based architecture, while the Genesis can achieve cleaner output with its onboard synths that procedurally produce sounds.

>> No.3115274

>>3114604
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwRLtar70Oo

Your move, Nintenkiddo.

>> No.3115282

Not even sure if I should post in a thread which will eventually became some console wars shitpost field but Mega Drive was created with the objective of being a home arcade while the SNES was meant for offering some "deep" not depreciating experiences. Hence the 3 button joystick and very quick processor for the former one and higher number of rpgs and exploration games on the second one.

>> No.3115283

Audience, probably. Natsume's games like Pocky and Rocky, Ninja Warriors, and Wild Guns are on par with Treasure's stuff, but have nowhere the cult following Gunstar and Alien Soldier do.

>> No.3115331

The graphics are better but it has a really slow processor.

>> No.3115332

>>3115201
Jesus shit that sounds like some kind of bootleg.

>> No.3115352

>>3114568

Neither SNES or Genesis had ST.

>> No.3115375

Holy fucking shit we can play any snes and genesis game using an emulator, why do you have to shitpost on one being better?

>> No.3115475

>>3114568
No it didn't. Are you retarded?

>> No.3115518

SNES is superior while Genesisn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_cMvmzNRYQ

>> No.3115540

>>3115518
>snes needs an enhanced compression chip just to run the game
>still has loading screens

>> No.3115691

>>3115518
shit port 2bh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bG-FCGcbdjg

>> No.3115703

>>3115247
>Fighting games don't usually have nearly as much shit going on all at once as shmups or run 'n guns do.
They have nice art and sprites though, so the console ports still look quite downgraded.

>> No.3115782

>>3115283
I think I'd agree. I'm not a huge fan of Ninja Warriors (even as someone who really loves beat-em-ups, I think it can get a little repetitive - not enough variety) but it's still really solid, and Wild Guns and Pocky and Rocky are certainly amazing games.

Treasure probably did stay relevant (as far as action games go) longer than Natsume, though - which is definitely a shame.

>> No.3115792

>>3114467
shadowrun is my favorite md game. sandbox game that kind of plays like fallout with arpg controls

>> No.3115793 [DELETED] 

>>3114405
>"genesis games usually made bad use of the sound card which wasn't very good to begin with"
>"b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but the worst game on snes and arguably one of the worst games ever has bad music!! le checkmate!"
are segabois really this pathetic

>> No.3115802

>>3115540
>genesis can't run it at all
i know every segafag's identity is based on missing the point but come on now

>> No.3115805

>>3115283
>>3115782

You faggots are so wrong. Just go ahead and take a look at the prices on ebay for those games. AS is only overpriced because it had no western release and it was a limited print run for europe. GSH still hovers around the $40 mark on ebay which is decent to me.

>> No.3115832

All these threads are self reaffirmation for nintendo "collectors" buying hardware and games at current prices. You'd want to assure your self that it was a wise purchase when you saw what genesis is selling for today >>3115704
go ahead find me any boxed snes for that price, I'll wait.

Funny that Sega was marketed as the dudebro console but the owners seem more mature. I don't see threads everyday trying to bash snes because they had no cd attachment that could stream badass soundtracks and full motion cutscenes.

>> No.3115840

>>3115691
my nigga that game is the shit.

also cause the Genesis does what nintendon't

:^)

>> No.3115949

>>3115832
..half the posts in this thread are defensive segabois making bigger jokes of themselves then they already are

>> No.3115957

>>3114335
Sega was always in tight with arcade companies, being they themselves were a huge arcade manufacturer. The Genesis was set up more friendly for arcade-style gaming, whereas the SNES was better suited for the console-friendly RPGs and platformers that Nintendo tended to curry favor with.

It's as simple as that.

>> No.3115958

>>3115832
>"Funny that Sega was marketed as the dudebro console but the owners seem more mature."

No, Genesis owners post on this board wanting to talk shit. SNES owners talk shit back, now Genesis owners grasp at straws and shitpost all while claiming they're more "mature".

>> No.3115967

>>3114341
What was blast processing again?

>> No.3115983
File: 34 KB, 530x323, SEGA Genesis 1 CD 2 d.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3115967
Blast Processing was just marketing speech for the fact the Genesis had a faster processor than the Super Nintendo. I think it was about 2 megahertz faster.

As far as anyone can tell that didn't do anything special for the Genesis over the Super Nintendo, though. But what a blast.

>> No.3115989

>>3115983
No, it was about a programing trick or some shit, nothing to do with hardware.
Anyway, you are wrong if you think the better CPU didn't matter in the performance

>> No.3115995

>>3115989
4 to 7 is so minimal

>> No.3115996
File: 57 KB, 323x452, kod.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3115995
Keep telling yourself that.

>> No.3116002

>>3115996
Do we have any clear examples of what the faster processor did?

I'm not a fan of either system, by the way.

>> No.3116006

>>3116002
What you see in the screen, potentially bigger and more sprites and on screen without slowdowns and at full resolution. Not that important in slow genres but quite important for action games.

>> No.3116014

>>3116002
First of all, SNES fanboys will tell you it had better sound and more colors.

Those two things are bullshit and almost entirely subjective. Better sound? Okay. Firstly, with the Genesis, why are you expecting perfect or crystal clear sound with a console from 1989? Secondly, why does the sound of the console dictate if it's "better" or not?

Processor and graphics are the only things that truly dictate what a console can do.

When it comes to "colors," that's an inherently deceiving spec because as that number becomes larger it rapidly decreases the perceived difference.

>> No.3116023

>>3116014
Processor is relevant with how fast Sonic was.
How smooth and how fast Sonic was, especially in full 240p RGB.

SNES could never have done that with a 2.68 mhz processor.

>> No.3116046

>>3116002
even though the genesis colors look a little bit less than the super nintendo's, they are barely noticeable and unless you put them side by side (brightness aside because it changes game to game) you wouldnt ever have noticed really

color depth is always subjective

even going from 256 colors to like 8 million goes from like shitty but still visible to perfect, where it should (judging by just the numbers alone) go from impossible to see to any degree of visibility. you get diminishing returns on the colors

if you took a desktop today with 64 gigs of ram and compared it to one with 16 you wouldn't see a different in 99% of the usage applications

without 3d, and at only 480i theres only so much you actually need that memory for just processing and holding sprites and the output resolution

>> No.3116047

>>3116046
nintendo even came out /after/ the sega
by like 2 years
thats a whole generation in consumer electronics and processing power
by moores law, the snes should have had like 14 Mhz processing

>> No.3116061

You fucking faggots are still arguing this shit?
Look. On a typical early 90s television through composite or RF hookup and blaring out of a single mono speaker or if lucky two shitty stereo speakers, both the SNES and Genesis were equals. And that's all that matters. Not the raw numbers, just reality.

Now fuck off with your MY GOD'S DICK IS BIGGER THAN YOU GOD'S BOLOGNA SANDWICH faggotry.

>> No.3116062
File: 783 KB, 320x240, 2837510_o.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3116023

No, the SNES couldn't. Still, the SNES offered a lot. The Genesis really only trumps the SNES in terms of CPU speed(which is a huge deal, not just an opinion). If you were a Master System fan, obviously it trumps the SNES in that with an adapter you can play MS games. There is also the 32X and the CD, which suck up a lot of power and unfortunately just aren't that great.

Other than that though? The SNES blows the Genesis out of the water if you're talking sheer numbers of advantages over the Genesis. Still, the CPU speed brings the two closer than would otherwise be possible. It makes you wonder why Nintendo didn't just spend a little more to make the CPU faster.

SNES Advantages:

>Colors
>RAM
>Sound RAM
>8 channel stereo
>Modes 0-7 compared to Genesis' 2 scrolling, 1 sprite, 1 window
>Larger possible sprite size(though this sometimes resulted in slowdown)
>Higher max simultaneous sprites on screen
>Game Boy Library through Super Game Boy

I love both. Console wars are for moronic babies. Still, its fun to compare both.

>> No.3116092 [DELETED] 

advantages of each consoles for dummies

SNES:
colors
extra parallax scrolling
mode 7

Genesis:
resolution
CPU, which implies better sprite handling, better performance and better 3D (unless the SNES used FX2 and shit)

>> No.3116093

advantages of each consoles for dummies

SNES:
colors
extra parallax scrolling
mode 7

Genesis:
resolution
CPU, which implies better sprite handling, better performance, decent sprite scaling and better 3D (unless the SNES used FX2 and shit)

>> No.3116256

It's funny how when people go on about Blast Processing they always fail to mention the thing that it actually refers to. Not the faster CPU speed. That's not Blast Processing.

It's faster RAM and DMA that is Blast Processing. People ALWAYS forget to mention that the Genesis had faster RAM than the SNES.

SNES had more RAM because you NEED more RAM when you store sprites with a greater color depth. So having a larger RAM pool isn't really an advantage as much as a technical necessity for achieving higher color range.

>> No.3116471

>>3115805
What the hell are you talking about? Yeah, Natsume's SNES stuff is expensive - but take a look around online. How many people sing the praises of Natsume's SNES games compared to the people who praise Treasure's Genesis stuff? (Although I think Alien Soldier is on a tier of its own.)

I don't care about the console war stuff and I like Treasure a lot; I was just agreeing that Natsume was rad.

>> No.3116564

>>3115958
this is the first sega has a digger bick thread ive seen in ages, there is 0 snes bash threads and 2 sega bash threads in the archive. and a few on the board at any given time. I don't see segays shitting up snes threads like nintendiddlers shat all over a genesis only sound comparison thread.

Nintendo fans are bullies

>> No.3116570

>>3116564
Australia liked to the shit on the SNES a lot last year, now it's the other way around with the SNES sperg.

>> No.3116591

>>3116570
oh so it's reciprocal like the changing of the seasons or the ebb and flow of the tides.

I don't understand 4chan trends

>> No.3116598

>>3116591
It wouldn't say it's 4chan as a whole, ijust a bunch of spergs that probably got motivated with many of those shitty console wars videos in the last years.

>> No.3116613

>>3116598
good point. people don't seem to hesitate to jump on the bandwagon though. its like human TayTweets

>> No.3116884

>>3115802
Yeah, kinda how you missed the point that the game needs an extra chip to run properly. The only Genesis game that uses an extra chip is Virtua Racing. Genesis games all ran on hardware, SNES hardware was so shit plenty of games need extra chips to run properly. I hope that's clear to you now.

>> No.3116889

>>3115958
Almost every so come war thread is started by some SNESfag taking shots at the Genesis. And if it's not the console itself it's the games for it like Sonic. How many worst game ever threads has there been for Sonic compared to Mario? SNESfags are so insecure about their overpriced console and games.

>> No.3116892

>>3115983
The CPU was 7.2 MHz and over twice as fast as the SNESs 3.58 MHz processor. You're delusional if you think that had no affect on game development.

>> No.3116903

>>3116002
The processor is arguably the most important component of a hardware with the GPU being a close second. It executes the games code. A fast processor means you can program more sprites on screen, more details, and assist the GPU in rendering them quickly and efficiently. In the end you'll end up with games that have bigger sprites, a better resolution output, more sprites on screen, more effects, and minimal slowdown. Its the reason why Streets of Rage looks so good, has a fuck ton of enemies on screen at once, and the game hardly ever slows down. Whereas games like Final Fight can only handle 3 enemy sprites on screen at once or else the game become a slide show. Even today a console like the 3DS suffers from its weak CPU and as the New 3DS has shown, a faster CPU really lets you tap into the full potential of the GPU.

>> No.3116985 [DELETED] 

my favorite SNES arcade-styled games:

Ninja Warriors Again
>pros
- great arcade-like graphics
- multiple characters offering different styles of gameplay
>cons
- green blood even in the JP version
- infinite continues

R-Type III
>pros
- GOAT mode 7 graphics
- solid gameplay featuring innovations such as selectable force pods and super modes
>cons
- has slowdown

Contra III
>pros
- it's motherfucking Contra III
- best Contra game that stays true to it's root style since Hard Corps is notorious for being a deviation from the standard Contra style
>cons
- bleh top-down stages
- it's no Hard Corps

other solid games that are worth checking out: Super Aleste, Axelay, Metal Warriors, Hagane

avoid the Rushing Beat series, the Final Fight games, and most of it's other shmups, they may look nice but gameplay-wise a good bunch of them are really lackluster

>> No.3116991

my favorite SNES arcade-styled games:

Ninja Warriors Again
>pros
- great arcade-like graphics
- multiple characters offering different styles of gameplay
>cons
- green blood even in the JP version
- infinite continues

R-Type III
>pros
- GOAT mode 7 graphics
- solid gameplay featuring innovations such as selectable force pods, an auto-fire button and super modes
>cons
- has slowdown
- some of the stages tend to be rather empty

Contra III
>pros
- it's motherfucking Contra III
- best Contra game that stays true to it's root style since Hard Corps is notorious for being a deviation from the standard Contra style
>cons
- bleh top-down stages
- it's no Hard Corps

other solid games that are worth checking out: Super Aleste, Axelay, Metal Warriors, Hagane

avoid the Rushing Beat series, the Final Fight games, and most of it's other shmups, they may look nice but gameplay-wise a good bunch of them are really lackluster

>> No.3116993

>>3116991
>pros
>stays true to it's root style since Hard Corps is notorious for being a deviation from the standard Contra style

>cons
>it's no Hard Corps

WAT?

>> No.3116996

>>3116993
some people like their Contras classic-styled while others prefer the Hard Corps approach

>> No.3117476

>>3114335
shit thread

>> No.3117489

>>3116991
>green blood even in the JP version
so does shadow over mystara

>infinite continues
use willpower, nigga

>> No.3117519

>>3116903
And people like to shit all over the Sega Genesis because of "colors"

>> No.3117528

>>3116991
Those are some pretty solid suggestions. I have a couple to add:

Macross: Scrambled Valkyrie is another really great arcade-style shmup on the system, it only released in Japan though. It has graphics almost as nice as R-Type 3 but with less slowdown, and has 3 different characters with 3 different upgradeable forms so the gameplay has a good amount of variety.

Sunset Riders is about as close to the Arcade version as you could get at home and it plays really well on the snes. Turtles in Time is actually an improvement over the Arcade version in both gameplay and longevity.

>> No.3117531

>>3117528
Pretty much all the Konami SNES stuff is top tier. I prefer the Genesis, but Konami had a lot more good stuff on SNES, especially Japan-only games like the Parodius and Goemon titles.

>> No.3117570

>>3117528
>Macross: Scrambled Valkyrie is another really great arcade-style shmup on the system
>great

LOL. It's not. It's mediocre.

>> No.3117692
File: 261 KB, 320x224, revenge of shinobi.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3114335
Why did the SNES not even have Ninja's that were worth a dime?

>> No.3117812

>>3117692

Hagane is worth hundreds of dollars.

>> No.3117873
File: 63 KB, 250x445, Ninja_Warriors_Coverart.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3117692
The SNES had cooler ninjas than the Genesis.

>> No.3117947

>>3117873
my nigga

>> No.3117952

>>3117812
too bad the gameplay is shit

>>3117873
dem be robot ninjas, nigga

>> No.3117982

>>3117812
Yeah, but SHINOBI.
>>3117873
third party arcade port? breh do your arguments even lift?

>> No.3117987
File: 9 KB, 256x224, mystical_ninja_00001.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3117692

Sega has no mystical ninja

>> No.3118094
File: 38 KB, 514x363, Hanzou.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3117987
homie plz

>> No.3118164

NWA and Contra 3 are awesome (mediocre mode 7 levels aside)
R-Type 3 isn't bad but i always get bored in the first level.

>> No.3119072

>>3118094
>shows GBA version of Hanzou