[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 379 KB, 1629x1109, review_lunar1-segavisions.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3112374 No.3112374 [Reply] [Original]

Just finished Lunar: The Silver Star.

Holy shit that game was really fucking good. It's a travesty I never played it as a kid cause back then I thought RPGs were ghey.

Any other good Sega CD games that I should check out?

>> No.3112389

You should play the sequel, Lunar: Eternal Blue. It's even better.

>> No.3112406

Never been a fan of traditional RPGs. Still not. Game has great music and visuals though.
>Any other good Sega CD games that I should check out?
Pretty much the standard 5 or so games are all that's worth playing.

>> No.3112412

>>3112389
Planning to do so, but I think I would have to download it. The Sequel is a bit expensive. I was able to get Silver Star by a struck of luck were some Mexican at a flea market had it for 10 bucks. Good thing the Sega CD has no copy protection!

>> No.3112494

>>3112406
>Never been a fan of traditional RPGs
Same, I would rather choke on my tongue than sit and wait to attack

>Pretty much the standard 5 or so games are all that's worth playing

Again, same. The ones that usually come highly recommended are either ones that I don't find worthwhile or enhanced ports. I found Wild Woody kind of interesting, shame that it's so incredibly hard to play

>> No.3112508

Everything by Core Design.

>> No.3112526

>>3112412
> I was able to get Silver Star by a struck of luck were some Mexican at a flea market had it for 10 bucks.
What art is on the CD? Silver Star had 5 different discs and some of them are rare.

>> No.3112528

>>3112494
>Same, I would rather choke on my tongue than sit and wait to attack
Try the Mario and Luigi RPGs, they're far more engaging despite being turn based.

>> No.3112548

Sonic CD
Keio's Flying Squadron
Popful Mail
Eternal Blue
Vay
Dark Wizard
Silpheed
Sol-Feace
Shining Force CD
Snatcher
BC Racers
Dungeon Explorer

>> No.3112581

>>3112528
I've played it and Super Mario RPG for the SNES, and enjoyed them both. Same with Earthbound and Mother 3

I don't mind regular RPGs so long as it has something interesting going for it and it isn't a cookie cutter Final Fantasy/Dragon Quest clone

>> No.3113308

Earthworm Jim CD
Final Fight CD

>> No.3113643
File: 1.07 MB, 1440x1080, two dimensional italyman - the millenium gate.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3112581
Please tell me you've played the Paper Mario games.

>> No.3114403

>>3113643
I played some of the first game and liked what it was trying to do, but it was a tough slog

>> No.3115621

>>3112374

==Platform RPG==

Popful Mail

==Action RPG==

Dungeon Explorer

==RPG==

Lunar: Eternal Blue
Vay

==War Game==

Shining Force CD
Dark Wizard

>> No.3118617

Well which one did you pick? You OPiece of shit!

>> No.3119565
File: 107 KB, 623x910, jess1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I want to do penis-related activities with Jessica.

>> No.3120848

I started off with the Lunar series when the PS Complete versions came out. Loved them. Eventually I went back and played the CD versions. It's amazing how much better the tone of the CD versions is and how much more satisfying the challenge level is.

Silver Star > Silver Star Story Complete > Silver Star Harmony > Legend

Eternal Blue > Eternal Blue Complete

It's a shame that this series will never get more games except maybe more mediocre remakes of Silver Star like Harmony and Legend.

>> No.3120848,1 [INTERNAL] 

>>3119565
She was my favorite character in the game. She fills the tsundere/genki girl archetype, but her relationship with her father was genuinely sweet, and her interactions with Kyle were funny. Also, that moment in the Talon Mines where she broke herself and Mia out of Xenobia's magical bonds was a great bit and welcome change after that incident in Pao.

>> No.3120848,2 [INTERNAL] 

>>3120848,1
>>Girl party members get sick.
>>Go through an entire dungeon using just healing items.
>>Return to tent afterwards right when the girls have recovered and are about to go out looking for you.

I raged so hard the first time I played it. I swear the Black Dragon Fortress is a troll in JRPG dungeon form. And then you factor in the fact that the girls lag behind in leveling while the guys are leveling up in the dungeon. What was the whole point of that anyway? Make the dungeon harder just because?