[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 55 KB, 193x215, bonk.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3105364 No.3105364 [Reply] [Original]

>> No.3105451
File: 113 KB, 300x303, pk2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3105364
glad someone else is interested in this series!

Bonk 1: All-time classic. Still very playable today, though it was only developed in 3 months. Don't expect a Mario 3, something more like Sonic 1

Bonk 2: the pinnacle of the series. Equivalent in quality to Mega Man 2. Everything is improved. Juggling is gone, but Bonk can now bonk Flowers for items or to move them. The stages are larger with more secrets, and the level design is top notch. The soundtrack reuses songs, but there are plenty new ones too. The bonus stages are also more interesting

Bonk 3: very disappointing. it feels like a Bonk 2.5 with less charm. The colors are kinda ugly, and the new candy gimmick is not as well implemented. Music is also very meh. It's still worth playing with the best final boss fight and the largest levels in the series, but you will be let down. There is also a CD version.

Super Bonk: An improvement over 3 but not a superstar game. While it is far more original than Bonk 3, the sprite reusing is jarring. The new feature is that Bonk can throw Flowers. The soundtrack is awesome though. The levels mostly consist of mazes of corridors, and SNES slowdown to boot. Even though you take more damage, the game is somehow even easier than the first 3 games. Some people like it more than 3. I play it occasionally and it is still a great game.

Super Bonk 2: Thank god, a return to form. Almost as good as Bonk 2, but only few Bonk fans have played this one. It features similar level design, but there are plenty of new and crazy ideas. The graphics are 100% new, and look beautiful. The final world is pretty tedious and I'm not a fan of the bonus stages, so I can't say it is the best game. But there are some new powerups, the candy is almost gone and Bonk now has a run button.

If I had to rate them?
>Bonk 1: 9/10
>Bonk 2: 9.5/10
>Bonk 3: 7.5/10
>Super Bonk: 8.5/10
>Super Bonk 2: 9.3/10

>> No.3106110

>>3105364
good shit

>> No.3106280

I'm not enjoying Bonk on TG16 too much, the controls are pretty laggy and the level design is too flat. Hopefully it gets better later on though.