[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 190 KB, 900x1200, consola-family-game-mario-y-princesa-con-42-en-1-leer-cgh-412411-MLA20526068126_122015-F.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3090784 No.3090784 [Reply] [Original]

When did you go retro, /vr/?

I mean, at what point in your life did you decide to start playing old games again?

For me it was during 5th gen, around 1997 or so. I had N64, Saturn and PS1, as well as a PC, so I had mostly forgotten about the previous gen games and didn't use my SNES and Genesis anymore, I think the last time I used my SNES back then was in 1996 when DKC3 came out and then went back to play new stuff.
But sometime in 1997 I got the urge to play not 4th gen, but 3rd gen (well, just Famicom, or "Family Game" as it was known in my country). So I went ahead and bought myself a Famiclone with a multicart since my old famiclone was either lost or my mom gave it to charity.
I still remember the guy at the game stop (where I was regular) told me "dude, you really want one of these old consoles? you've got all the new systems, why the hell do you want to play old games?".
My friends told me the same thing.

Fuck it, I remember going back home, plugging that in and playing all my childhood favorites again, felt amazing, first time I felt nostalgia playing games I think.

I didn't go back to 4th gen until maybe 2002.

I never really stopped playing 5th gen I think, even when 6th gen was already stablished I still played my 5th gen systems occasionally alternating with the GC, DC and PS2.

So how about you? at what moment did you stopped caring only about the latest systems and went back to old stuff?

>> No.3090789

When modern games killed video games with the 6th generation and later.

I went back and started with a bunch of old PC games at first. Later in 2007-8 I started with consoles again.

>> No.3090791

>>3090784
>again
I never stopped.

>> No.3090796

>>3090791
This.

Also, I don't care if a game is retro or not. I like playing games.

>> No.3090805
File: 62 KB, 400x282, saintseiya0044-400x282.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3090791

That's an acceptable answer, too.
Kudos for your kid self if you never really fell in the "old games suck, new ones are the shit" mentality.
Although I never really though that old games sucked, but considering all the exciting new stuff that was coming out and the transition to THREE DEE, and the fact I played lots of SNES and Genesis to death before, I just focused on new games only for a while until I got that urge to go back and play 8-bit stuff again, and I admit, some of that urge was fueled because I saw there were some famicom games based on stuff like Saint Seiya and Dragon Ball. Dragon Ball games I had on 4th gen and PS1/Saturn, but Saint Seiya wasn't on either 4th or 5th gen... the famicom Saint Seiya game was kinda bad though

>> No.3090810

>>3090784
>at what moment did you stopped caring only about the latest systems
That never happened because I was never a retarded slave of the marketing jew.

>> No.3090817

>>3090784
When they started calling NES and Master System retro. I never cared much about earlier games except maybe Arcanoid and Xonix.

>> No.3090854 [DELETED] 

>>3090810
Exactly, me as well. Though in defence of one group of people, the transition from 2D to 3D was an exceptional thing and nobody knew what was going to happen. Anyone would have been been impressed by the progress of the new machines. Now it's literally becoming a joke, with one generation playing the same way as the next and incrementally better graphics.

>> No.3090857

>>3090810
Exactly, me as well. Though in defence of people who did that a bit long ago, at least back then the transition from 2D to 3D was an exceptional thing and nobody knew what was going to happen. Anyone would have been been impressed by the progress of the new machines. Now it's literally becoming a joke, with one generation playing the same way as the next and incrementally better graphics.

>> No.3090860 [DELETED] 

I really don't recall ever "moving on" from old games or anything. I started to actively collect when I was fairly young (13? 14? - would've been in 2001-2003) and didn't sell of my childhood games. I'm pretty sure I'd just randomly play stuff for whatever from time to time, though there were some years where I didn't play as much older stuff, in part do to being away from my collection for most of the week (and I'm not a big fan of emulators).

It does kinda diminish any sense of nostalgia I have for these things since I never really left them. The closest thing I've come to intense nostalgia was when I fired up my childhood Pokemon Red again for the first time in ages several years ago.

>> No.3090869

>>3090791
>>3090796
Me as well. I was 13 when the original Xbox came out and that was the same year I bought a turboduo. I've been more interested in retro games since they were new, and was buying SNES and NES stuff all through my teenage years. I still play new stuff but retro games have been something I've been buying since as long as I can remember. Makes me sad I'll never be able to go back to the days when people would sell me their childhood games for next to nothing or just straight up give me boxes of games for free because I was the only person they knew who still liked that stuff.

>> No.3090880

>>3090791
This.
The only consoles I had were an NES, genesis, and a GBA until I got a Wii. Now with emulators I just have access to every game I've wanted to play as a kid.

>> No.3090953

Old games were all I had. I got a C64 around 95 as my first own system.

>> No.3091261

>>3090791
This for me as well. I would bring my SNES to high school (on those dumb days where we've have some sort of festival going on) and play Turtles 4 with classmates. This is when PS2 was the hot, current system too.

>> No.3091297

I never stopped playing older games alongside newer ones.

>> No.3091346

>>3090784
Must have been mid 70's. By the time I was old enough reach the controls on a cabinet Periscope was already old. So I played that because Pong was occupied and then after Pong went back and played again. So I guess at that moment I had decided to start playing old games again.

>> No.3091735

>>3090796
This. I'll give anything a chance

>> No.3091763

>>3090784
When I discovered emulation, couldn't tell the date exactly. The poor kid, and poor is an euphemism, still living inside me finally had his revenge on expensive games he couldn't afford at the time.

>> No.3091926

>>3090784
What do you mean "Again"?

Always kept the machines I was given

>> No.3091972

Never stopped, never really started either. We never had the newest consoles or high end computers growing up, so I quickly learnt to appreciate games for what they are outside of time-period prejudices.

>> No.3091991

I still played Ghostbusters on my VCS sometimes after I got an NES so then I guess although I kind of agree with OP that it was the 5th gen where I first realized valuable elements of gaming experience were being left behind and began earnestly collecting.

>> No.3092014

>>3090784
>When did you go retro, /vr/?
I've never stopped playing my old games.

>> No.3092046

>again

I never stopped. I don't hate new games (sometimes I even play some modern title) but since PS3 generation and now with PS4 I don't feel the need to buy some new hardware as it is really rare a game for that systems drawing my attention now. Really, from the top of my head I can think in less than 10 titles I'd really like to play in 7th/8th gen. Handhelds are okay when the games aren't rushed ports of console games

>> No.3092126

>>3092046
Kinda the same, but sometimes with all the updating these modern games have to do I go back

>> No.3092149

>>3090784
I started playing them again off and on once my best friend at the time told me about emulators.

Arino got me really into them again about 10 years later, about four years ago.

>> No.3092181

>>3090784
>implying I was ever a corporate slave

>> No.3092194

>>3092181

OP here, I don't think I was a "corporate slave", but being a kid when the 5th gen launched, and having access to a lot of new games, I just didn't feel the need to go back and play older games I had already played, at least for a while. As I said, I went back to Famicom in 1997, when everyone else was completely ignoring these older games at the time.

Anyway I think a lot of people here are younger than me, since a lot of people are saying "when PS3 launched"... PS3 seems very recent to me.
As I said by the time 6th gen arrived (when I was already a teenager), I was playing all older systems again, along with the newer ones.

It's not really that I ever quit retro games, but as a kid you're drawn to what's exciting and new. And again, I had played lots of 4th gen stuff to death before 5th gen systems launched, in fact I didn't felt nostalgic about 4th gen until the 2000s, but I did get nostalgic for 3rd gen in '97.

>> No.3092273

>>3090784
I was playing retro when it was new.

>> No.3092328

List of consoles I've ever owned:
Colecovision
NES
Genesis
N64
Wii

The Wii was only ever used as a Netflix box, only own the Wii Sports disc that came with it

Played GTA3/Halo/Morrowind/KOTOR on PC, enjoyed them enough

The stuff about outgrowing games was probably true for me, I wish anything would ever impress me as much as Super Mario 64 did.

>> No.3094559

>>3092328
You didn't play super Mario galaxy at all? It was the best time I'd had with a Mario game since super Mario world.

There's actually a ton of great retro styled stuff on the Wii, like lost in shadow or a boy and his blob. There's a decent game library there but you have to sift through a lot of shovelware to find it.

>> No.3094568

I was born in 1990 and I don't think I ever really stopped playing older games. During 5th gen I would bust out my Genesis pretty often. My older cousin would have his SNES our a lot as well playing JRPGs.

In 2003 was when I started actively collecting retro stuff. I read up on retro games and strange stuff released on the NES. If I was slightly older and had a job and could drive I would've been able to go to Funcoland myself. But yeah no mother is gonna drive her 13 year old to Funcoland on demand. Game Crazy used to have retro stuff but their selection wasn't nearly as great.

>> No.3094570

>>3090791

This, never stopped. Started collecting and playing Genesis games the day I got one and have continued to do so to this day.

>> No.3094573

My first console was an N64 (1997) but I was aware of SNES and really liked the graphics, so I got one a year or two later, and acquired more "retro" systems in the years afterwards. 6th Gen is when I lost interest, though I've slowly started to come around.

>> No.3094579

To be honest, the Bomberman thread in /v/ that's still ongoing.

I've yet to jump into the current gen, and the more I look back into older games and the level of skill and love they put into them the more I miss playing them.

I have decades worth of game that I've never played or never finished that I've never gotten to play either due to a general apathy I've developed with games in the last couple of years.

I just need to dig through my collection and start finishing some games I've let languish unfinished.

>> No.3094581

>>3094570

I should mention that I still play new games too. My 3DS library is massive, and I just bought a PS4 a few weeks ago since Bloodbourne is the closest thing anyone's makignto a Castlevania these days. But I'm also planning to pick up a Master System soon.

I just like video games.

>> No.3094583
File: 8 KB, 480x360, notthisagain.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3094581
>Bloodbourne is the closest thing anyone's makignto a Castlevania these days.

>> No.3094587

>>3094583

Bloodstained aside.

If that's not what you're talking about, I'd love some reccomendations.

>> No.3094631

>>3090791

When most people were selling of their SNES stuff to pay for the N64, PS1 I just held on to it beacuse I knew I would regret selling it off if I did.

It took me a bit longer to get into those consoles because of that, but it worked out in the long run because I held on to nearly everything.

>> No.3096254

>>3090784
I never really stopped.
I was born in the 90s, but Poland was fresh of the heels of communism, so non-clone consoles like Super Nintendo or PSX were pretty expensive.
So for couple years somewhere when I was 6-8 I grew up with Dendy. After that in 2001 we've gotten an actual computer, and it was pretty high-end for the time - but ironically, I didn't really care for modern high-end stuff, I ended up playing mostly retro games - adventure games, strategy games, tactical games, and RPGs (mostly because I was much more drawn to the potential for storytelling which I didn't really have on the NESclone). Even then, though, I occasionally still fired up Dendy to play some Super C.
Sadly, at one points my parents threw it out, blaming it for some supposed issues with our TV, which I personally think was bullshit. I think this might've been somewhere in 2004?
Anyway, I kept playing PC games and through zines distributed on cover CD of a gaming mag, I discovered emulation. Without internet access I couldn't really do much about it - though whenever I was able to get my hands on a freeware windows clone of an older game (like Chuckie Egg or Manic Miner - one of the editors of said gaming mag was really into Spectrum) I played it religiously.
That is, until in 2009 I gone to a highschool, and it was a boarding school - and I finally gotten access to the internet. First thing I did, was getting FCEUX (I was using Linux at the time) and bunch of ROMs.
And not much changed since then, except I expanded my interest into consoles I'm not really nostalgic about, but I find interesting due to perspective hardware gave to game design - like, there is a certain "style" to Super Nintendo, or to GBA games.
And I'm thinking of trying out emulation of pre-NES 8bit stuff, since it's fascinating to me to see where all these genres and concepts start.

>> No.3097875
File: 153 KB, 519x600, 1405924435823.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3090784
I've had a regular Gameboy and N64 ever since I was a kid, GB was the first game console I ever owned, I was born in 1991 so I missed out on the NES and came to the SNES party late so I grew up with N64/Playstation.

I've owned a GB, GBA, N64, Gamecube, Xbox, Wii, Xbox 360, PS3, PSP, Xbox One etc. etc. and like an idiot I tended to sell my older stuff when a new gen came around, and have been spending a LOT of time and money re-acquiring the older stuff.

I only just now got myself a SNES and have been snatching up games left and right...

Anyway, yaddah yaddah, TL;DR: I find that the more I play the current gen stuff the less... entertaining I find it... I'm having a hell of a lot more fun with my new refurbished SNES than I have with my Xbone for the year or so I've owned it.

>> No.3097913

>>3090784
2008ish. I became fascinated by the Virtual Boy and it just escalated from there.

>> No.3097914

honestly I think I've always liked tech that's slipped from the limelight. Even though my first console was a NES, quickly followed by SNES I really liked going to my friends house who had a C64, Coleco, Atari 2600 and stuff.

as years went on and my original consoles became relics I'd find myself taking breaks from playing modern stuff just to revisit my NES, or finally get around to discovering the Genesis at a used game store.

Tech platforms move so fast we don't really get enough time to 'soak in' all the good stuff of a generation before the next one comes out. This is actually why I'm going to be really sad once we go to an all-digital online game distribution service. Regular people wont be able to preserve stuff, it'll be left more in the hands of the publishers. Sad.