[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 788 KB, 800x580, Super_Mario_64_(NA).png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3052426 No.3052426 [Reply] [Original]

What are some classic games that you didn't get to play until recently, that you thought would be complete overrated shit but ended up living up to your expectations?

Pic related for me,

>> No.3052429

That along with FF7 and OoT for me.

>> No.3052447

Sanitarium

>> No.3052585

I didn't have any interest in PC gaming as a teen, I only had Nintendo games

Once I started playing PC classics a few years ago (from 1987 to ~2002), I can't say I have been disappointed by any of them. Console games I don't have nostalgia for though... I rarely finish one

>> No.3052635

None because I'm not 17 anymore so my expectations are slightly wider than overrated shit and fucking masterpiece man.

>> No.3052647

>>3052447

Dis.

Thank you GOG.

>> No.3052668

My interests in video games used to be so cosmopolitan and now they're niche as fuck, so I've never listened to a /vr/ recommendation.

I had all the time in the world in the actual /vr/ days so it's already fairly rare when someone posts a /vr/ game that I'm a) interested in and b) don't already know about.

I did a playthrough of FFT on PS Vita like 3 years ago, it was ok, I guess. Lots of shit had already been spoiled for me, though.

>> No.3053381

>>3052447
You thought it would be overrated ?

I'd say Earthbound and Thief : The Dark Project, wasn't expecting it to be "overrated shit" but I wasn't also expecting something so fucking good.

>> No.3053432

>>3052426
I always feel bad about it but I played banjo kazooie before mario 64 and just can't stay interested in mario 64. It's definitely not bad but I just feel banjo feels and plays much better.

>> No.3053448

>>3052668
>lots of shit spoiled for me

Didja get mad when you found out Luke's father was Darth Vader too?

>> No.3053559

Thief 1. Loved it.

Also CTR, but that was back in 2007.

>> No.3053674

>>3053381
Not necessarily overrated, but I thought it was going to be akin to Harvester and Dark Seed where there's a spoonful of spookiness and disturbance but it's mostly goofy as hell. I actually found it to be pretty unsettling even without having to think of it in the context of the release date and moments like finally giving Sarah her doll can be pretty moving. It's cheesy at times, but more in a Twin Peaks sort of way as opposed to the B movie way I was expecting.

>> No.3053816

Super metroid
A link to the past

>> No.3053868

>>3053448
>FFT is as ubiquitous as Star Wars

I have news for you.

>> No.3053869

Earthbound

Didn't expect to be overrated shit, was neutral when first playing it and it surpassed my expectations by a lot.

>> No.3054015

>>3053432
I feel the opposite.

I love the little tricks Banjo can do, the egg tossing and talon trot and invulnerability run and all that, but Mario's physical move set is so fucking dynamic. Banjo has no conterpart to the triple jump, the long jump, the wall kick, etc.

>> No.3054156
File: 45 KB, 256x255, Final_Fantasy_VII_Box_Art.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Pic very related. Due to all the negative stigma surrounding it (as well as the series as a whole) on the internet and all the godawful fanwank i.e Advent Children, I was afraid of it being nothing but cringeworthy melodrama, one-note, underdeveloped, unlikable characters and overly convoluted, self-indulgent stories.

Instead, I got a story that was actually quite interesting if a little cliche, characters who were actually fleshed out, likable (even very minor ones like Cait Sith and the Turks) and even easy to relate to and get behind, and some drama which did get quite a bit out of hand and some points but never to the point of being annoying. My only complaint is that the battle system is too simple, and outside some boss battles there's no real challenge at all. On the plus side at least that means no grinding.

I played FF8 soon afterward, and didn't like it nearly as much. It was pretty much everything I was originally afraid FF7 would turn out to be. It had great music though, and the graphics were an obvious improvement, but that's about it.

>> No.3054215
File: 89 KB, 953x953, 2063.mgs1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Metal Gear Solid.

Setting aside the fact that it isn't as deep or original as it thinks it is, it's still a very fun ride with great characters and a fun story. Oh yeah, and the gameplay was great too. While probably not on the same level as Thief when it comes to stealth mechanics, it still does its job well and has lots of crazy shit you can do too.

>> No.3054240

>>3052426
mario was overrated even back then and kids were too dumb to realize it and are now blinded by nostalgia goggles

>>3053816
>A link to the past
also shit. loz is way better.