[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 489 KB, 1200x1600, super-potato.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3052070 No.3052070 [Reply] [Original]

I remember getting into emulation with Nesticle around 1997. I would spend hours reading all the info on Zophar's Domain. MAME seemed like the greatest achievement of computer science in history. I never did figure out how the fuck Pasofami was supposed to work.

But none of that was "retro". I don't think I even had a PlayStation by that point. NES games were already pretty old, but it all still felt pretty contemporary. Then ZSNES came out, and HOLY FUCK FINAL FUCKING FANTASY V AND SEIKEN FUCKING DENSETSU 3. It was as exciting as a brand new game release. It wasn't "retro" yet.

I feel like there's a lot of hipsterism today, this "only 90s kids will understand" kind of attitude. Well I'm an 80s kid, in fact I just barely missed being a 70s kid, and I think that's full of shit.

When did "retrogaming" turn into some kind of lifestyle choice?

>> No.3052074

>>3052070
>full of shit
Don't you mean 'hullabaloo'?

Twenty three skidoo!

>> No.3052078

>>3052074
Get off my lawn before I beat your punk ass with my NES Advantage.

>> No.3052079

Nah, you are an autist, and you are afraid your hobby is getting popular when it really isn't.

>> No.3052090

>>3052078
Cheese it, boys!

>> No.3052091

>>3052079
I couldn't care less how popular it is. I've already got my game collection. The prices on eBay make no difference to me.

I'm talking about the line drawn between "games" and "retro games".

>> No.3052096

Back then there was a bunch of different emulators by Marat Fayzullin. His page is still up:
http://fms.komkon.org/
I played some stuff with iNES and MasterGear. Roms were kinda hard to come by those days though. I think maybe I got roms from an IRC bot. Marat used to hang out on IRC too, and apparently didn't like people asking him for roms. :->

>> No.3052106

YouTube/Internet video gamers probably played a part. Some people in their mid/late 20s and 30s started to make internet videos about the games they grew up with (see: GameGrumps, AVGN) and certain younger viewers probably latched onto them and as a result wanted to play these games that were released before their time. The games are old and not played by today's average youngster so they have that "you just aren't refined enough to appreciate this, go back to your Cawadooty" appeal. But who the fuck knows.

>> No.3052112

>>3052106

>"you just aren't refined enough to appreciate this, go back to your Cawadooty"

It's funny how fucking spot on this is though. Most people these days lack the attention span required to play older games.

>> No.3052116
File: 358 KB, 410x359, tumblr_mxgnfno2yz1s8ouhxo1_500.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3052091
>I'm talking about the line drawn between "games" and "retro games".

Kek, retrofaggot shit, nostalgia and a recognition of ancient shit has been a thing since...well since games began.

Here, have a pic from a retro game where a character basically tells you that you're a faggot, screams at you to git gud because you're a filthy casual who just doesn't appreciate anything other than gay fuccboi modern games.

>> No.3052118

>>3052070
"Retrogaming" is not a lifestyle choice.
I'm not particularly fond of the word Retro either, but after a certain point, you need to stop taking offense and realise that the word "Retro" instantly communicates what is meant, and since there is no other preferred other term more suitable, that's now the word for it.
That's how language works.

Also can it with that 90s/80s/70s kid bullshit. It's the most broad in-joke imaginable, pulled out of the closet by every generation who wants to lord it over another for something really pedestrian.

That's all I have energy for. OP, fuck off and act like an adult.

>> No.3052120

>>3052112
>Most people these days lack the attention span required to play older games.

Stop patting yourself on the back, because that isn't true. The reason the kids nowadays don't have the "attention span" is because they maybe just aren't impressed by the more primitive games they haven't tried before.

Kids with their remote control cars, they aren't like MY generation, they haven't got the attention span required for the Stick and Hoop.

Can we stop these pointless generation wars and just accept that our generation wasn't the first, isn't the greatest and won't be the last?

>> No.3052124
File: 49 KB, 508x446, cranky2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3052112
>Most people these days lack the attention span required to play older games.

>> No.3052125

>>3052070
thread theme

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dWzauRfg7g

>> No.3052126

Am I crazy or did "retro" games used to be called "classic" games

>> No.3052128

>>3052112
If a GAME cannot keep the attention span of a CHILD it means either that child has been spoiled by more engaging or suitable entertainment, or it was never very entertaining to begin with.

This argument is just self-congratulatory and ultimately fucking stupid.

Games are just toys that require a tv.

>> No.3052130

>>3052118
>Also can it with that 90s/80s/70s kid bullshit.
That's what I was saying in the first place. Read like an adult, sonny.

>> No.3052135

>>3052130
>Read like an adult, sonny.
>mfw you have to be at least a 90s kid in order to actually be a legal adult.
>:^)

>> No.3052137

>>3052130
>I feel like there's a lot of hipsterism today, this "only 90s kids will understand" kind of attitude. Well I'm an 80s kid, in fact I just barely missed being a 70s kid, and I think that's full of shit.

I'm saying the whole "only [decade] kids will understand" is stupid. You're saying "I'm not part of that group, i'm part of this group, nearly this one"

Try again.

Btw, your age doesn't automatically make you wise or worth listening to. As time goes on you are only going to be more and more outclassed by people born after you became an adult

>> No.3052138

>>3052128
That's a fallacy.

Heroin and gambling are addictions that can take your attention away from other rewarding and entertianing activities. That doesn't mean heroin is superior.

>> No.3052139

>>3052128
There's a pretty clear difference in the general design philosophy of retro games, though.

Today's games, by and large, are billed as interactive "experiences" where there's basically zero challenge, and you're just going through the very simple paint-by-numbers gameplay to see the story or somehow feel like a badass because you mashed X long enough to see the cutscene where your character does something cool.

While old games were lamented as quarter munchers by people who didn't get them, they rode the fine line between fun and punishment to give a far more intense experience than anything coming out today. Too hard, and players give up. Too easy, and players got bored. Somewhere along the way, people stopped caring about the games being too easy, because they instead focused on the story elements to derive entertainment from.

There are plenty of very easy, story-based games that are great fun. Take the Ace Combat series, or Planescape: Torment. They're easy, but they still have fail states. Thanks to an insane number of checkpoints, "downtime" in modern games has been reduced to well under 30 seconds instead of the minute or two that was typical of older titles. Being able to get back to where you were before in 10 seconds isn't enough of a punishment for dying.

>> No.3052145

>>3052137
>I'm saying the whole "only [decade] kids will understand" is stupid.
So am I. I revealed my approximate age to give an indication of my perspective so you know where I'm coming from, not to impose some kind of innate superiority.

Obviously I expect to be judged by the quality of my words and ideas, just as I judge you by yours.

>> No.3052153

>>3052138
I stand by what I said, I do not think there is any fallacy being applied. You're the one equating it to a large field like addiction.

What are you even trying to say?

>>3052139
>to give a far more intense experience than anything coming out today.

Obvious bias.
I grew up with these games too, and while I still enjoy them, I don't think they are inherently superior. The quarter-muncher qualities are from a time when home consoles tried to give you the arcade experience at home.

As convenient as it is for your argument, are you really confident stating that EVERY modern release is a checkpoint-laden cutscene with zero challenge, just because those kinds of games do exist?

>> No.3052159

>>3052145
I revealed my approximate age to give an indication of my perspective so you know where I'm coming from, not to impose some kind of innate superiority.

Except your age is not relevant in this argument. If you dislike a trend, you do not need to qualify your dislike by alluding to your age on an anonymous message board.

>> No.3052175

>>3052159
>Except your age is not relevant in this argument.
It's not like you couldn't guess my age from the first two paragraphs anyway.

Besides, it's a perfectly valid argument to say "You just like retro games because you're old and that's what you grew up with." I don't agree with that statement, but it's a valid argument based on age.

But forget it. Nobody likes to read two pricks bitching at each other. Just pretend I'm a 13 year old kid lying out his ass.

What makes something "retro"? Are modern games so fundamentally different from what came before that "retro" deserves a separate category? Or is it simply a matter of time? Is the PS2 already retro? If not, when?

>> No.3052190

>>3052128
Even kids had good attention span in the 80's, before the Internet. At least when it came down to playing games on your C64 or whatever you happened to have.
There were less distractions, and also there were less games. You played what you had, and some games that weren't so great got played anyway becuase it was a change of pace at least.

>> No.3052205
File: 416 KB, 2048x1152, 1457518533076-170712453.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3052126

No you're not

>> No.3052206

>>3052120
>Stop patting yourself on the back, because that isn't true. The reason the kids nowadays don't have the "attention span" is because they maybe just aren't impressed by the more primitive games they haven't tried before.

There is empirical research proving that kids these days have worse attention spans than previous generations.

And it isn't the fault of modern games, but just technology in general.

When you click on a web link these days you expect the page to immediately load. 15 years ago you expected to wait a while, and were used to patiently waiting.

When you want to look up something 15 years ago, you had to wait until you got home before you got on the internet, unlike the instant access provided by phones now. 20 years ago it was the same if you wanted to contact a friend while on the move.

>> No.3052207

I think the expectations of what a game is has become totally different.

The arcade ethos was "this game is so hard, it'll break your dick off!" Games didn't really have a story, they had a _premise._ Games were a challenge that you overcame with patience and hard work.

Modern games can be very challenging indeed, but outside of competitive multiplayer, they're always pushing you gently toward the finish line. It's about the experience, not the challenge.

Modern games are like rollercoasters. You hop on, ride, and then hop off. It's fun and exhilarating and something you want to do over and over again.

Retro games are like downhill skiing. It's cold and wet and difficult, and if you fuck up, you might get slammed into a tree. But if you take the time to master a downhill course, you walk away with a real sense of accomplishment.

>> No.3052216

>>3052207
Finally a good argument about the difference that doesn't instantly betray bias.

>> No.3052218

>>3052216
And it was OP all along! HEHEHEHEHEHEHEH

>> No.3052241

>>3052070

Yes I agree. There was a time in the 90s where you could emulate SNES and NES on stuff like ZSNES, but before PS1 and N64 had really developed. For me it was the same era as neopets and the early 2d runescape.

You've inspired me to search for old sites I used, here's an archive of neofooty's SNES rom site, which allowed to play Harvest moon and FF6 for the first time (I went for what his "reviews" recommended")

http://web.archive.org/web/20020826111738/http://members.madasafish.com/~neofooty/download.html

In those days you didn't have big archives. Bittorent was not invented. No wikipedia. You just had lots of small homemade sites to find your games and your guides. It was a really unique time in history come to think of it. I had my own little webpage with pictures of dragonballz characters, and some fake runescape pictures of "poo armor", which I found hilarious.

>> No.3052256
File: 247 KB, 1200x795, op's youth.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Science fiction fandom has a saying: "The Golden Age is 12".
Meaning, the best science fiction is whatever was popular when you were 12 years old.

So one way to define retro games would be anything released before your 12th birthday.

In OP's case, I guess that leaves only SpaceWar, chess, and that Indian game with the stones.

>> No.3052257

>>3052126

I used to post on the classic gaming board on gamefaqs many years ago. It's funny, I remember people were getting upset about calling n64 and psx games "classic games" because they hadn''t even been around 10 years yet.

Boy, times sure haven't changed.

>> No.3052272
File: 57 KB, 680x594, how-do-you-do-fellow-kids-buscemi.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

For the record, I'm totally fine with the word "retro". It's the hipster attitude I don't like. As if playing FDS games and buying Zelda teacosies off Etsy puts you above and beyond the unwashed masses of normal gamers. The smug, "I'm better than you" retrogaming culture, if you will. Am I the only one who experiences this?

I think there is a clear distinction between arcade-style games and modern cinematic games, but remember that "cinematic" FMV games and the like have been around for a LOOONG time.

>> No.3052275

>>3052256
But that's Christmas 1994. I'm missing some of my favorite games.

>> No.3052276

>>3052272
I think the smug attitude is totally justified when you look at what gaming has become.

I'm sorry, but if you derive any pleasure from the latest Halo, CoD, or AssRed, you deserve to be looked upon with scorn.

>> No.3052281

>>3052272

Totally agree. There's definitely an elitist attitude in the "retrogaming subculture". But keep in mind, pretty much any niche activity has elitism. When you've been a part of a community for years and discussed everything to death it's frustrating to have to answer questions that seem like common knowledge.

>> No.3052286

>>3052276
I liked cod up until ghosts. It was a fun war game. I am also playing mgs3, chrono, dkc3, Pokémon snap and parasit eve . Fite me

>> No.3052303

Most westerners don't get it.
''Retro'' doesn't have the same connotation in Japan.
''Retro'' is simply used to describe games released on a certain timeframe.
Videogames are timeless.
The west takes it as a trendy thing
>''oh gee look at me, I'm playing on the 64, I'm so retro!''
>''I'm a retrogamer!''

So to answer OP, never, it never was a lifestyle, it's just pathetic hipster trash.

>> No.3052304

>>3052112
I play many games though, most people don't fit neatly into one "type" of game player.

>> No.3052307

>>3052303
What exactly is so "hip" about playing old games anyway?

>> No.3052313

I've found I piss people off regardless of what I'm playing at the time.

If I'm playing the Uncharted Collection on my PS4 im a plebian who doesn't understand real games.

If I'm playing Luciennes Quest on my nodded 3DO I'm a special snowflake starved for attention who clings to the past.

Just play video games fuck.

>> No.3052343

>>3052241
Nice!

Back in those days it wasn't "retro", it was just piracy. We danced around it (if you download romz you must delete them within 24 hours!), but that's basically what it was.

>> No.3052352
File: 12 KB, 230x219, main-qimg-13663c66dd736951e61f73472513ead9.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3052313
Pretty much, it's sad that /vr/ has fallen so quickly to /v/'s tune.
>>3052343
>if you download romz you must delete them within 24 hours!
S...Sure!

>> No.3052357

>>3052343
>Back in those days it wasn't "retro", it was just piracy. We danced around it (if you download romz you must delete them within 24 hours!), but that's basically what it was.
That's still a thing you know

>> No.3052362
File: 83 KB, 395x281, 100 (1).gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3052303
Careful now, you almost sound like a Japanophile hipster.

I think retro maybe isn't as trendy in Japan (because Japan is still stuck in the past), but there's been a big Famicom revival in the last few years.

And every other year another company tries to bring back JRPGs just like "the good old days". The latest one is Squeenix's "pure fantasy true RPG", Ikenie to Yuki no Setsuna. But I love JRPGs, so what am I complaining about.

>> No.3052385

>>3052120
Ive met a number of children who have been interested in older games, you kust have to introduce it to them correctly.

>> No.3052391

>>3052070
>When did "retrogaming" turn into some kind of lifestyle choice?

I think you're confusing the disgust of modern games with retro culture.

>> No.3052406

>>3052385
It's not a matter of introducing correctly, it's a matter of introducing first
We didn't had the commodities of modern gaming so we jumped straight into the hardships of older ones. We never had anything else to compare so it was fine.

Kids today have cellphones and modern games with tutorials and commodities all around, if they were already introduced to modern games it will be really hard for them to get interested in retro, not because they're lazy, not because they're dumb, just because it's different. If you never give a cellphone or ps4 to your son, live in the middle of the woods where he can't play with any other kid that have one, and then give him a NES and some games, he's going to love that shit just like you loved back in your days even when he's born way after 2000

It's just a matter of perspective and people are too harsh to judge

>> No.3052410

>>3052406
Yes, but I have successfully introduced older games to kids with modern gaming available to them, and so long as they understand the background of when it came out and you let them play it for some time im sure they'll accept it. I mean contrary to popular belief, kids can be more open minded than some adults... And while i could be wrong about all this, the experience ive had with this sort of thing points to it working most of the time.

>> No.3052425

>>3052112
My attention span is shit, that's why I preffer old games which chuck you into the action and constantly throw enemies at you to interactive movies.

>> No.3052431
File: 80 KB, 720x480, anakin-force-ghost-star-wars-pic.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

If anything, younger kids like retro games better, because you just slam in the cartridge and press start. No long load times, no lengthy intro dialog, no cutscenes, just pure gameplay.

It's when they hit puberty that they start wanting the big spectacle and the 3edgy4me power fantasy. Press A to be a badass. *whoosh* *clang* "Peace is a lie, there is only passion." *BOOM* *dubstep*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9dg8PI2sEg

>> No.3052439

>>3052070
>Well I'm an 80s kid, in fact I just barely missed being a 70s kid, and I think that's full of shit.

It's nothing new, if you think back there were kids you went to school with who worshiped 70's era rock or the Beatles. There are always people interested in the culture before their time.

All that happened is you finally got old enough to see that happen to something you once saw as new. Congrats, you're getting old. It really is a privilege denied to many.

Also... don't waste time giving any fucks what the kids of today are thinking or doing because I guarantee they don't give any fucks about you. Just enjoy your life and let the 16 year olds wear Mario hats to the prom if they want.

>> No.3052445

>>3052091
>I'm talking about the line drawn between "games" and "retro games".

There is no line. Here on this board we have a whishy washy definition to keep posts under a certain umbrella, but what's actually retro is constantly changing. The hot shit of today is going to be the retro hipster fuel for kids in 20 years.

>> No.3052448

>>3052445
You have to be pretty ignorant to not see the difference between retro and modern games.

>> No.3052457
File: 234 KB, 1280x720, monster-hunter-4-ultimate 920.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3052448
I've had this conversation here too many times. Of course there are differences between games of 20 years ago and games of today. Things are always changing, games will always be changing. But there are no clear lines, there are a million small ones. Limited to unlimited color pallets, 3D, high resolution, online gaming, etc etc etc.

One can draw lines along console generations, but they're still largely pointless. "Retro" is constantly shifting.

>> No.3052461

>>3052457
And I hear the "argument" that modern shit should be retro. I think you're just ignorant about it.

1st through 5th gen are vastly different to 6th gen and later.

>> No.3052469

>>3052445
>The hot shit of today is going to be the retro hipster fuel for kids in 20 years.
I think that rule is broken now

Look at movies. Nobody gives a fuck about Avatar, the highest grossing movie of all time, and a new Star Wars just came out, made two billion dollars and zero impact.

The age of the "pop culture phenomenon" is dead, and it's probably because there are no shared experiences anymore, the Internet allows anyone to create any media environment they want.

>> No.3052472

>>3052070
No, look, nowadays you have a lot of people, in fact it seems to be the majority, who can't even stand playing games from before 2000. I mean, really. So people who actually like or prefer that kind of game have a particular preference that isn't necessarily taken into account or catered to in the ways they would like. So that simply makes it opportune for people to form a kind of subculture around it. In fact this explains why you don't get it. You have more experience with these games from the moment in time they were new in the first place. The younger you are, the more you depend on a retro subculture to familiarize yourself with that generation of games.

There's nothing wrong with people practicing subcultures in itself, you know. You don't have to throw around accusations of hipsterdom at every single fucking niche interest in existence.

>> No.3052473

>>3052469
>zero impact.
Are you retarded?

I'm serious.

I don't even like those movies. I still see their shit everywhere. Star Wars toys especially.

>> No.3052476

>>3052461
I didn't say it should be retro, I'm saying it eventually will be because time exists. Like it or not, in 20 years Metal Gear Solid V will look retro.

If you want "retro" to mean 16 bit or 240p or whatever, then I suggest changing your vernacular.

>>3052469
>The age of the "pop culture phenomenon" is dead

This is true in many ways, but people will still build their own nostalgia around the specific cultures they experienced.

If you think Force Awakens had zero impact, I don't think you've been paying attention or interact with many children. That steaming pile has kids obsessed.

>> No.3052487

>>3052476
>I didn't say it should be retro, I'm saying it eventually will be because time exists. Like it or not, in 20 years Metal Gear Solid V will look retro.
This is the difference between an enthusiast and you normal casual gamer.

6th gen and later will never be retro. They play nothing like the past gens. Even how you bought the games was different.

I get there's a lot of dumbasses in this hobby like yourself. Why that makes this hobby the ONLY hobby were old shit = lump into one category really makes me scratch my head. No one else does that.

>> No.3052505

>>3052457
>"Retro" is constantly shifting.
I disagree.

Because retro isn't a shared definition, what is retro for me, born in 88, isn't retro for kids born in the 00's or old codgers born in the 70's.
Fact is retro is a generational concept, it doesn't magically change meaning with time, but rather with generations of people, and no matter what PS2/Dreamcast/GBA/XBOX/GC will never EVER be retro for me.
>>3052469
>it's probably because there are no shared experiences anymore

You kidding me? There are shared experience, if anything there are way too many, too much shared experience, that's precisely why things don't leave the impact they used to until the 90's, and mind you, it's not simply because you have them at your fingertips, it's just that there's too much stimuli compared to twenty years ago, that has rendered many people less sensitive, especially children today, they're constantly doing something on their 3DS/phones/tablet/computers but they're not doing anything well, it's a constant shift of attention, people today have to juggle an immense amount of material, we're constantly, passively exposed and bombarded by media and content of all kinds, it's only natural that today's people are massively desensitized and media is largely oriented on shock value rather than content depth.

If something doesn't catch people's attention today it's worthless, hence the huge shift in marketing oriented on fast previews of content, especially in videogames, remember the 90's ads with those headlines directed to the player, usually challenging him? They're gone today, for a good reason, not even tits and asses are handled to you in the same ways of the 80's or 90's, everything's an aseptic show of pretty lights and performance rather than content, not to say that there wasn't something like that in the past too, but today that's the more prominent way to catch people's interest, it's a war to get enough attention span to make people buy a movie ticket or a game.

>> No.3052506

>>3052487
>6th gen and later will never be retro.

You need a dictionary. That word you're using doesn't mean what you think it means. What you mean is they mostly won't play like 8 and 16 bit games. No argument there. But if you think that means they won't at some point be retro then you simply need to learn English better.

I've never denied there are differences, but changes are constantly happening. You don't see the difference between newer generations because you don't pay attention to them as much as you paid attention to older games.

>> No.3052510

>>3052506
We aren't discussing the meaning of retro retard. The title is "Retro games". It's the name for a specific time period of video games.

>> No.3052513

>>3052505
>will never EVER be retro for me.

And that doesn't matter. Because retro isn't specific to you. No one anywhere cares about your personal experience. Retro is the imitation of things from the recent past. That it changes constantly with time is in the definition of the word.

>> No.3052520

>>3052510
>The title is "Retro games". It's the name for a specific time period of video games.

And I'm explaining to you that you're using the word completely wrong. Definitions of words don't change just because you want them to. If English isn't a second language for you, you should be ashamed.

>> No.3052524

>>3052520
>And I'm explaining to you that you're using the word completely wrong.
One more time, dumbass.

I'm not arguing the meaning of the word retro. The title is "Retro Games".

>> No.3052527

>>3052461
The 5th gen has far more in common with the current gen than the 1st.

>> No.3052531

>>3052527
No it really doesn't. And I know exactly what you're going to say. So go ahead so I can laugh my ass off.

>> No.3052535

>>3052524
>The title is "Retro Games".
What title is that? What the fuck are you even talking about at this point? That's not the title of the thread, what title are you referring to?

Saying you think something made today will never be retro because it's not from a specific time period is completely and factually wrong.

If you want to lump gens 1-6 together and everything else as something separate then go for it. But don't try to use the word "retro" because it's already being taken up describing something else.

>> No.3052540

>>3052535
I didn't make the title up. Nor am I the only one to lump those consoles together. Pretty much anyone who can call themselves an enthusiast for this hobby would.

>> No.3052545
File: 3 KB, 320x200, 3-Demon_(screenshot).gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3052527
Don't waste your time debating that with him. You can lay out every major change in gaming history and show how it's been shifting constantly, but he will always insist 6th gen is some kind of magical permanent marker bigger than any other in all of video game history. I honestly think he has mental issues.

>> No.3052548

>>3052545
Sorry kid but unlike you I look at this objectively.

>> No.3052556

>>3052548
>kid
We've also been over this.

>> No.3052560
File: 7 KB, 300x200, 14049084140b96694b5976c47255fadb54117bd6b3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3052439
You are too serene and enlightened to be posting on 4chan. But thanks.

>>3052472
Insightful post. You're right that I shouldn't complain too much. I'm as much a part of this niche as anyone else. I have stupid shit like a Luigi plushie and little Dragon Quest slimes on my desk, so I'm guilty as charged.

I'm just bemused and somewhat bewildered by the transition from the old emu/romz scene to the current "retrogaming" scene, and wanted to hear about other people's experiences.

>> No.3052565

>>3052556
It's really the only conclusion I can come to. Thinking someone as mental invalid as you enjoys the same hobby as me while attempting to change it.. I mean I know I'm giving you too much credit by calling you a kid.

>> No.3052572

I bought a Famiclone back in 1997.
I grew up with one as a kid in the late 80s, and by 1997 I already had the N64, PS1 and Saturn, as well as a PC, and my old famiclone was broken, or maybe I had given it away. Anyway I felt the urge to play old games again, also fueled by my obsession with Dragon Ball Z and Saint Seiya at the time, and I was able to find carts of both Saint Seiya and Dragon Ball Z for the famicom (I had DBZ games for SNES, Genesis and PS1, but Saint Seiya games, only on Famicom back then).

I don't know if this is what the thread is about but yeah, that was the first time I went back to the past.

I remember even the guy at the vidya store I was a regular told me "dude, you have all the newest systems and you want an old family game?" heh

>> No.3052578

>>3052560
>I'm just bemused and somewhat bewildered by the transition from the old emu/romz scene to the current "retrogaming" scene, and wanted to hear about other people's experiences.

I hear ya, but I really do think this is all just part of getting older and starting to notice culture changing around you.

When I was in highschool I was a massive DR. Who nerd, but being a Dr Who nerd in the 80's is vastly different from being on in the 00's. I don't even like the show it's become, but I also have to recognize that it's not really for me anymore.

It's the same thing with Star Wars. Seeing it for the first time completely blew my mind and at the same time completely baffled my father with my obsession. Now it's exactly the same, I watched the new movie and found it dull and pandering. But walking out of the theatre I was surrounded by big smiling faces of younger people who loved it. And to them I say enjoy!

>> No.3052586

>>3052520
Sigh.

Kids, you don't get it. You will never get it or understand. Because you were brought up in a time where games became something else completely. Marketed to people with the sole intention of gaining a new market of NON-GAMERS. Games that put gameplay and quality on the back burner for a slick presentation and other bullshit to appeal to people that don't understand that said gameplay and quality is ALL THAT FUCKING MATTERS IN GAMES.

Mario 64, Metal Gear Solid, the tons of other shitware for PS1 and N64, the growing influence of linear snorefest FPS games like Half-Life, and so on. Manufactured and tailored toward people who didn't respect gaming and what it was. A move to 3d graphics to further appeal to people who don't realize that 3d graphics are not a good fit for many different types of games.

Retro when applied to gaming is a term that specifies a SPECIFIC era of gaming. Pre-1995 is a very good cutoff date. Sure, there are a handful of games past that date that are still good, and games before that were bad. But if you're going to choose a date where the face of gaming changed -- when a new era began and everything before that was the classic, retro era where gaming was all about a certain mindset of gaming being more than just a flashy presentation to people that don't give a shit that the camera in a 3d platformer spins around like it's on fucking crack and ruins gameplay, and that modern "gamers" had to compensate by learning the game like it was Dragon's Lair, playing the game in a response to its flaws instead of in anticipation to a rigid structure that respected the player.

Please, if you're going to talk about such flawed "gaming", go to /v/ with the rest of the fools and idiots. /vr/ is RETRO GAMING. Gaming back when gaming, for the most part, made sense.

Fucking children. I swear to living fuck, the millennials are ruining every single good thing in our lives.

>> No.3052589
File: 60 KB, 625x448, bttf.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3052487
>6th gen and later will never be retro. They play nothing like the past gens. Even how you bought the games was different.
I dunno dude. If VR takes off in a big way this year, EVERYTHING up to now is going to turn retro really damn quick.

>> No.3052590

>>3052431
>"Peace is a lie, there is only passion."
lmao

>> No.3052594

>>3052070
since the market was flooded for nostalgia goggle indie pixelshit games. so since cave story? then the whole xbox indie/psn was flooded with them. bit trip, vvvvvv, now undertale...god i wish they would all just get nuked with every faggot who plays them

and damn do i love the sight of a 240p game displayed on a small crt. japan gets it

>> No.3052597

>>3052578
>tv and movies aren't how they used to be
Again, this is because the modern generation is falling victim to a bad trend in tv and movie making that doesn't respect its audience. Don't blame yourself, don't call it "not for me."

It's been simply ruined by greedy fucks that don't care about quality, and the dumbfucks in the modern generation that happily eat it up.

Same with gaming. Don't accept it. Get mad and help fix it.

>> No.3052601

>>3052589
and all this stupid shit we're quibbling about is going to matter about as much as the difference between Kansas City jazz and Bebop to later generations.

>> No.3052602

>>3052586
>Kids, you don't get it. You will never get it or understand. Because you were brought up in a time where games became something else completely.

I'm 43. This isn't just stuff I'm making up off the top of my head. I guarantee, if you ask what constitutes a retro game in 20 years or 40 years you will not get pre-1995.

What you're really talking about is a golden age or something similar.

>> No.3052605

>>3052589
ALL the VR systems right now are a new way to play old games. There's only a handfull of actual VR games and they're tech demos.

It's interesting to think about but I doubt it'll happen. What's mainstream now is what beaners and Russians can play on their toasters. Indie shit, DOTA, CS, etc

>> No.3052606

>>3052597
>Again, this is because the modern generation is falling victim to a bad trend in tv and movie making that doesn't respect its audience.

Patently wrong.

>> No.3052608

>>3052602
>I'm 43
>still falling for ancient copy pasta

>> No.3052616
File: 73 KB, 500x700, MV5BMTYxMzM4NDY5N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNzg1NTI3MzE@._V1_SX640_SY720_.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3052606
You got an extra set of those blinders you're wearing?

>> No.3052617

>>3052608
Alzheimer's is fun.

>> No.3052621

>>3052617
To be fair the guy did modify it a bit and he didn't post the Mario 64 review pic that time.

>> No.3052625

>>3052560
I think the transistion also the slow realization that video games aren't made from rainbows and sunshine, but by people working hard on them.
Now people want to pay the workers and companies behind them back somehow, along with the realization that creative business is volatile and competetive.

>> No.3052632
File: 48 KB, 400x359, moon1870a.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3052616
Crappy movies being popular isn't a new thing. And you're calling me young? Come on.

>> No.3052645
File: 3.05 MB, 2250x1500, fantastic-four-banner-146299.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3052632
We aren't talking about crappy movies.

We're talking about movies that are an insult.

>> No.3052646

This thread is funny because you can clearly tell who the young (or dangerously naive) people are because they have no perspective.

>> No.3052652

>>3052645
That's how I felt about Moonraker when I saw it. That's my point.

>> No.3052656
File: 288 KB, 1920x1080, maxresdefault.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3052652
Man please. You can find something to enjoy about that movie. It's not even that bad. It just had such high expectations.

This pile of shit on the other hand. I would love for you to explain how it's not a slap in the face to everyone.

>> No.3052661
File: 1.17 MB, 1714x2500, guardians-of-the-galaxy-poster-star-lord.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3052645
That movie tanked, dipshit. Nice cherry picking though.

>> No.3052663

>>3052656

Do you not think bad movies existed before the last few years?

Do you know why you can't think of any bad movies from the past? It's because we look at the past through rose tinted glasses. We don't remember the bad stuff, only the good stuff.

That's why nostalgia is such a powerful thing and why it's easy to think that old things are better than newer things. It happens in every single generation.

Nobody will remember those shitty movies. 20 years from now they'll be talking about all of the great movies that came out during this time. And the people saying that will have been kids during this time.

Do you not see how the cycle repeats forever and ever?

>> No.3052670
File: 28 KB, 290x484, Lovers_and_Liars_VideoCover.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3052656
But you're picking things that had a terrible public reception. At least Moonraker was popular even though I didn't like it. There have always been super shitty movies.

>> No.3052675
File: 446 KB, 1920x1200, TMNT-2014-Desktop-Wallpaper-HD1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3052661
>>3052663
Man I love shitty scifi movies from the 50s on up. Handful from the late 30s and 40s outside the war that are great too.

I know all about bad movies. Watch all of mst3k and most of rifftrax.

Modern movies aren't bad. They're insulting.
Step 1: Take a name that is know.
Step 2: Shit all over that fucking name

>> No.3052683

>>3052675

If you like mst3k and rifftrax then you don't like bad movies you like laughing at bad movies.

You can still laugh at modern bad movies. Again this is all a perspective thing. You don't like it because it sucks and/or it's popular. If it came out 20 years ago though you'd think it's so bad its good.

>> No.3052690
File: 227 KB, 800x1200, 11180556_ori.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3052683
>You can still laugh at modern bad movies.
I really can't which is why I and many other pep ale say they're insulting.

Shit like this? This whole line of Transformers is fucking trash. You can't even make fun of it anymore. It's just the same forced gay or racial jokes and explosions.

I would love to see someone make fun of those movies. It would at least be entertaining.

The only joke is just "wow this exists and people paid to watch it".

>> No.3052695

>>3052675
I watch new bad movies with the same eyes I watch old bad movies. It's all fun. I got kind of a kick out of Jem for how bad it was.

>> No.3052697

>>3052690
>I would love to see someone make fun of those movies. It would at least be entertaining.
Nah, the nu-male directors would bash you in all the popular media and tell you how empowering those movies are.

>> No.3052704

>>3052690
When you're laughing at a bad movie from the 50's, part of what you're laughing at is the cultural differences between then and now. That's not something you'll get with newer movies.

>> No.3052705

>>3052690

People already make fun of those movies all the time. They'll be the laughing stock of cinema for years to come.

>> No.3052708

>>3052690
I found Madd Max Fury Road insultingly bad and that's a movie that has genuine critical praise. That hurts a little.

>> No.3052714

>>3052690
>I would love to see someone make fun of those movies.

Is this your first day on the internet that you haven't seen people making fun of Bayformers?

>> No.3052717

>>3052695
>>3052704
>>3052708
Movies like the ones I listed are made to profit off nostalgia. That's what I'm getting at. They take a name that is known by the public and then make a movie with no care to the original source material.

These movies are insulting because the source material means something to me or someone else. They take something that someone loves and shits on it.

That is not something that happened in the past. Maybe can argue with books but book adaptations have always been hit and miss.
>>3052705
Do you have a link to someone making fun it that's actually funny?

>> No.3052720

>>3052717

You mentioned rifftrax

http://www.rifftrax.com/transformers

I haven't seen it, but it's probably funny enough.

>> No.3052721

>>3052714
I'm not talking about Bay humor. That isn't what something like mst3k did. That wasn't why they were great. They just made fun of bad movies.

>> No.3052724

>>3052175
Retro to me is just a time cutoff. Eventually we'll come up with better terms or just refer to periods of time. You might refer to gaming periods with terms like "pre-crash" or "5th generation" now, and in the future it could just be 80's, 90's, etc.

I'd say what we talk about here as being retro vs. modern, in the most popular of games, is a difference in how they work. A popular game in the 'retro' period likely focused more on being a challenge to overcome, while a popular game in the 'modern' period is defined as an experience to be had. You might also call /vr/ material by something like "20th century" or "pre-milennium" but that will only really say anything with the passage of time. As it is i'd say "retro" is a sweeping cover for anything that isn't current or last generation or for anything that doesn't make someone feel uncomfortable when they call it old.

>> No.3052727

>>3052720
Ya I think that's the first movie. I haven't seen it.

>> No.3052729

>>3052717

Never mind the fact that you're getting worked up because someone made a shitty cash in on some nerd fiction you enjoyed, but the idea that people have never cashed in on nostalgia before is ridiculous. Nostalgia is not some recent concept, this shit has been going on since the dawn of time.

What do you think the fucking renaissance was? A bunch of faggots got together and said, "Man remember all these old classics? These guys sure had the right idea."

Then they started churning out their own shit based on the old shit. I can guarantee you it wasn't all Shakespeare.

>> No.3052739

>>3052717
>They take something that someone loves and shits on it.

Transformers was made from the ground up to sell toys to children. If you have so much nostalgia for it that a new generation of pandering giant robot shit upsets you, that's your problem not mine. You shouldn't have made cartoons into sacred cows in the first place.

>> No.3052741
File: 133 KB, 1164x752, Advertisers-Lose-Their-Minds-as-Fuller-House-Stands-Ready-to-Break-Netflix.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3052729
Stop kid.

Cashing in on nostalgia is a new thing. The term nostalgically profitable was coined because of it.

We aren't talking about random exceptions. The market right now is all about nostalgic profitability.

>> No.3052752

>>3052741
>nostalgically profitable

I just googled it and the only reference I found to that phrase was from The nostalgia critic of all people.

lol eat shit

>> No.3052756 [SPOILER] 
File: 357 KB, 960x1440, 1457539981633.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3052741
Man you're so right. Everything popular these days is just a reboot of an 80's franchise. FML.

>> No.3052757

>>3052752
Doug Walker uses the term a lot. As do other reviewers.

>> No.3052762

>>3052756
LOTR Does Porno: The TV Series

>> No.3052764

>>3052756
HOLY SHIT AN EXCEPTION EXISTS! MAN YOU SHOULD WRIGHT A BOOK ABOUT HOW THE WORLD DOESN'T REVOLVE AROUND ABSOLUTES.

Seriously kid. Get out more.

>> No.3052767

>>3052757
>Doug Walker
>google
>some e-celeb

Well there goes your argument.

>> No.3052768

>>3052767
He's been around since before you had your first tablet, champ.

>> No.3052772

>>3052764
You make a list of rebooted franchises and I'll give you a list twice as long of new ones.

>> No.3052776

>>3052768

Holy shit, I never thought I'd see an actual Nostalgia Critic fan in the wild. This is a very rare opportunity. I'm going to call up Nat Geo.

>> No.3052779

>>3052768
I've never owned a tablet. I still had to look him up to see who you were talking about and you're using a yourtube celebrity as your source. That's pretty pathetic. But it does at least explain a lot of where this is coming from.

>> No.3052781

>>3052772
And guess which ones will be insults?

>> No.3052791

>>3052779
That wasn't even more source.

Just type in nostalgia profitable and see how news hits you get.

>> No.3052798

>>3052781
>whaaaa they're not doing my 80's toy cartoon justice

Grow up and stop caring about what corporations do with the garbage they shoveled down your childhood gullet.

>> No.3052830

What exactly are you even asking here? You're saying NES games weren't considered retro when you were emulating them in 1997, for example. Well yeah, it was release in the states in 1985, so that's a 12 year gap. It's in that weird grey area where some people would say it's retro and some people wouldn't. I mean, 12 years ago from now was 2002, and that's officially not retro by our board rules, although there's still some dissention about it.

I'm just looking at your post and I can't seem to get my head around it. You can't seem to grip the idea that "retro" is subjective. Everything you said in your post is so profoundly stupid in a way that I can't even begin to tackle.

>> No.3052840

>>3052752
You might want to check your browser for malware, I just did a Google search and Nostalgia Critic is yet to be seen on page 3.

>> No.3052845

>>3052840

Did you use quotes?

I didn't even get three pages with quotes. It was all from pretty much the same source. Some guy talking about the nostalgia critic and the new goosebumps movie or some shit.

>> No.3052848

>>3052717
>These movies are insulting because the source material means something to me or someone else. They take something that someone loves and shits on it.
>That is not something that happened in the past.
Oh but it did.

In the 1950s, science fiction (as in books and magazines) was entering a golden age, and writers like Asimov, Heinlein, and Clarke delivered powerful, mind-expanding visions of the future to a generation of young nerds.

At the same time, Hollywood piggybacked onto the rising popularity of sf by creating some of the worst science fiction movies of all time, over and over again. This is where mst3k gets much of its source material, by the way. It was an insult, an utter desecration, of science fiction literature, and sf fans were pissed. Hollywood took these nuanced stories about humanity's future and reduced them to space westerns with bug-eyed monsters (BEMs).

About 20 years later, George Lucas rehashed all the asinine trash he watched as a 1950s kid to create Star Wars, which was nothing if not a megadose of nostalgia for old science fiction fans. The rest is history.

Nostalgia has ALWAYS been profitable.

>> No.3052851

>>3052840
Screenshot a google search for "nostalgically profitable" including the quotation marks and show us then.

>> No.3052860
File: 52 KB, 724x711, wasteoftime.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3052851

?

>> No.3052864

>>3052830
>Everything you said in your post is so profoundly stupid in a way that I can't even begin to tackle.
It's ok champ, just do the best you can.

>> No.3052878

>>3052860
Okay, now are you the guy claiming there were over three pages of responses? Because that's what I got and it seems what this guy >>3052845
got as well. 20 hits on google is nothing.

>> No.3052883

>>3052864
Serious question, do you really think saying champ and kid all the time helps you in any way? Do you think if you act like a condescending dick that people will take you seriously?

>> No.3052886

>>3052878

I am both those posts
>>3052860
>>3052845

>> No.3052889

>>3052860
First response is even Nostalgia Critic. You are fucking retarded.

>> No.3052892

>>3052830
I think the point was that the concept of "retro" didn't really exist back then. To which you might say, "Well no shit fuckface, video games were still a brand new medium back then." But they weren't really. Arcades were already about 25 years old by 1997, but emulating with MAME back then wasn't retro, it was just playing games.

>> No.3052901

>>3052892

>retro didn't exist back then

How fucking dumb are you?

>> No.3052902

>>3052883
Welcome to 4chan. Is this your first visit?

>> No.3052909

>>3052901
Haven't you been reading the thread? He's catastrophically dumb.

>> No.3052914

>"Peace is a lie, there is only passion."

>> No.3052919

>>3052914
Hahaha, I thought this was made up to mock shit writing, but it's actually a quote from Star Wars.

>> No.3052926

>>3052919
Traveling through hyperspace ain't like dusting crops, boy!

>> No.3052951

>>3052070
Because emulators are mainstream now. It's that simple. Now that old games have save states. Accessibility in previously challenging games has gone way up, and kids can have checkpoints at a rate that makes a Gears of War player blush. Throw in HD filters and a dose of first part Nintendo IP, and you have a mixture fit for a micro-attention trend follower.

>> No.3052952

>>3052307
Just as hip as wearing outdated clothes, playing vinyls, and collecting old toys. It's just easy hipster cred and time has made the picks of what to get easier with the internet.

>> No.3052956

>>3052070
>tfw no qt3.14 asiangf to play retro vidyas with

>> No.3052964

>>3052951
>micro-attention trend follower.
top kek

>> No.3052969

>>3052964
>top kek

Like you, kid.

>> No.3052974

>>3052969
I'm a micro follower of trend attention, champ.

>> No.3052978

>>3052974
Don't micro-follow me, kid.

>> No.3053154
File: 51 KB, 565x480, 1993 nostalgia.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3052070

"retro" is an arbitrary line drawn by the mods of /vr/ to decide what we can and can't discuss on this board.

what actually is "retro" constantly changes as time goes forward, and sometimes people get nostalgic for older games they played during their childhood. Nostalgia has always been there, it's just that the internet allows you to see more of it.

There were less older games during something like the snes days, so there were less people playing them. But nowadays we have tons of generations and thousands of games that are considered "retro", so there will be more interest in it.

>> No.3053168

>>3053154
On video game forums people like that were quite common. I remember butting heads with them all the time. There really were people who thought NES was the death of gaming.

>> No.3053169

>>3052487

every generation goes through huge changes, your nostalgia just blinds you to them

>wow i can't play this shitty zelda game with watching some dumb cutscene first? this is nothing like when I was playing on my atari, i just put in a game and start playing
>what the fuck you beat the game instead of playing to get a high score? why can't i just keep playing for points forever, there aren't even any points in the first place

>> No.3053171

holy shit mods just purge this thread from existance already

>> No.3053174

>>3053168

Nothing ever changes. There will always be people claiming that all newer games are shit and older games are the only good games. Of course considering this board's subject a lot of those people are expected, but still though, I wish people would be more self-aware.

>> No.3053176

>>3053154
>>3053168
>>3053174
The difference is it's an objective argument now.

>> No.3053181

>>3053176
see
>>3053169

All of those people thought the exact same thing that you do. You are no different from them.

>b-but it's totally right this time!

>> No.3053183

>>3053168
It's no different than people who claim rock music died when the Sex Pistols showed up or that it died when Nirvana showed up or whatever.

>> No.3053184

>>3053176
lol they thought the exact same thing back then as well.

>> No.3053189

>>3053181
>>3053184
Two kids that don't know what objective means.

>> No.3053192

>>3053154
>>3053174
>>3053168
You ever notice that the point where they claim video games died is usually the point where they attained puberty and became more interested in girls than video games?

>> No.3053193

>>3053183
Yup exactly. The details change, the it's always the same whiny bullshit.

>> No.3053195
File: 53 KB, 1610x474, Untitlede.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.3053198

>>3053192
It's all nostalgia for childhood. I think most of them don't even really like games specifically, they like the nostalgia of what they liked when they were kids. Or the things they could have had as kids if only their parents doted on them enough. That's why they find it hard to get enjoyment out of anything new. There's no hook for nostalgia, it's just a game and that's not really what they're into.

>> No.3053204

>>3053198
>>3053195
>>3053193
>>3053192
>>3053184
>>3053183
>>3053181
>>3053176
>>3053174
>>3053168
>>3053154
DLC
Season Passes
Online PayWalls
Release broken. Maybe add later mentality
Pre order mentality and incentives

"but there's always been a games are shit nay sayer".

Please kids. Modern games are trash.

>> No.3053208

>>3053204
You need a new argument, baby cakes. This one has been destroyed so many times. If you don't like games, that's nice. We're too busy enjoying them to bother trying to convince someone like you.

>> No.3053209

I was a kid during the 5th gen but I really have no particular love for those games and consider that era kind of meh.

>> No.3053210

>>3053204

Yes, because scummy business practices NEVER happened when you were a kid. Companies being jews is a new thing that is recent and only affecting modern games.

>> No.3053234

>>3053208
>>3053210
Dumb kids actually defending this shit.

>> No.3053236

>>3053210
Scummy business practices caused the crash in 1983. Scummy business practices led to Nintendo creating an illegal monopoly that eventually the courts struck down. Scummy business practices destroyed Sega as a console maker.

>> No.3053239

>>3053234
Being called a kid by someone who was in diapers when I was in university never gets old.

>> No.3053243

>>3052632
Oh god, that cover. I want to hit the disco floor now.

>> No.3053246

I started gaming in 1994 when I was 6 years old so if you want to call me a child...

>> No.3053258

>>3052632
Originally they wanted to do For Your Eyes Only, but then they just had to cash in on the Star Wars bandwagon. I mean, that thing in the lower right corner literally looks like R2D2's head.

>> No.3053271

>>3053234

>if you say it happened when I was a kid then you must be defending it!

>> No.3053282 [DELETED] 

>>3053239
>>3053271
So since you're "old" is justifies cancer?

>> No.3053296

>>3053282
No it's given me the perspective to see that it's not cancer.

>> No.3053298

>>3053296
That's funny because it gives me the perspective that video games have never been worse.

>> No.3053305 [DELETED] 

Video games are dead. Kids today don't really even play them anymore or do anything but use Facejew and text each other pictures of their genitals. :(

>> No.3053312
File: 846 KB, 1280x720, freefall.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3053298
And that's why we disagree on everything, you are constantly pissed off and I have a massive pile of both new and old games I enjoy playing. It must suck to be so upset about everything all the time, I hope you find some happiness someday.

>> No.3053316 [DELETED] 

>>3053312
I just play old games mainly. Makes me happy. Sorry cancer.

>> No.3053318

>>3053316
>Makes me happy.
Yeah, you seem like a perfectly happy and well adjusted person.

>> No.3053336

I wish this thread would 404, I really would.

>> No.3053338

>>3053318
Ya fuck me for having a hobby.

>> No.3053347

The early 90s was seriously the golden age of childhood in America. There was no Facejew, #YOLO SWAG fags around, no SJW Tumblr landwhales. It's sad what things have devolved into.

>> No.3053353
File: 174 KB, 700x446, DSCF6548copy_zps0881c003.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3053338
We have the same hobby, dude. It's just that I like games from all eras and don't have my panties in a twist because things change.

I don't think everything about the current gaming environment is good, but I didn't think everything about the gaming environment of any age was all good. But I look at what's good and focus on that, and there's always plenty of good. Your list of complaints either don't bother me, I understand why they're necessary or I flat out like them like DLC. You don't, you're pissed about it and I get that. I think you're being childish and missing out on a lot of good games, but it's no skin off my back. I think it's funny modern gaming makes you this upset.

>> No.3053360

>>3053347
>The early 90s was seriously the golden age of childhood in America.

Maybe if you were a kid in the 90's. Looks like a horrible era of pc language and hand holding. Being a kid in the 70's was fucking awesome. We weren't raised to be sniveling entitled man children.

>> No.3053368 [DELETED] 

>>3053353
Next CoD will be out soon. Don't worry cancer.

>> No.3053378
File: 166 KB, 620x327, invisible inc.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3053368
I've literally never played a CoD game... Or really any FPS since Tribes 2. One of the fantastic things about games these days is the variety.

>> No.3053383

>>3053378
oh you're one of those hipsters that plays random obscure games while saying modern games are somehow good.

>> No.3053394 [DELETED] 
File: 1.34 MB, 382x275, E5NTqQH.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3053383
I didn't say CoD was bad, I just said I didn't play it. CoD is great for people who like CoD. The great thing is that even though I don't like that game, there's so many of so much variety that there's always something else I do want to play.

Just Cause 2 is hardly obscure. Also I would kick your ass at any fighter and those are huge now. Also Monster Hunter. Ohh and I get Animal Crossing street passes almost every day.

Suck it you big baby. :)

>> No.3053406

>>3053394
Damn you got a link to your let's play channel?

>> No.3053412
File: 2 KB, 48x97, Joe-moon1.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3053406
0/10 nice try though.

>> No.3053415
File: 181 KB, 600x600, Seven Songs.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3052074
23 Skidoo is the name of a band.

>> No.3053423

>>3053383

Oh, irony of the hipster who doesn't know he's a hipster.

>> No.3053427

>>3053423
Ya I forget that playing the games I've always liked makes me hipster.

>> No.3053429
File: 135 KB, 500x618, hip16fd4e28e7.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3053423

>> No.3053443

>>3053298

>That's funny because it gives me the perspective that video games have never been worse.

Because your nostalgia has made you forget about all the scummy business practices.

>> No.3053445

>>3053427
>everything I don't like is cancer!
>i'm not hipster!

>> No.3053453

>>3053443
>>3053445
Please retards. Take your CoD shit back to /v/.

>> No.3053460
File: 167 KB, 400x150, sherm521.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3053453
Wrecking you has been fun, but work's done for the day. Later sweet cheeks!

>> No.3053463

>>3053453

So you don't have any argument then?

>> No.3053471

>>3053460
>>3053463
I mean there's no cure for cancer. Can't really stop mental invalids that think because they have blinders that modern gaming is still good.

I go look at the steam top selling games and just about everything is cancer.

>> No.3053482

>>3053471

Oh boy, I can't wait to buy street fighter 2: super mega turbo, with 2 whole new characters for the low price of 50 dollars!

>> No.3053493

>>3053482
At least it's a complete game unlike the new one.

>> No.3053503

>>3053493

Right, it's a complete game until you have to shell out 50 dollars for the next version.

>> No.3053509

>>3053503
Sorry what? A game that comes out after makes the prior incomplete?

>> No.3053538

>>3052070
>Zophar's Domain

Zophar has manboobs.

>> No.3053549

>>3053360
Being born in 1996 does not make you a 70s kid regardless of how many times you watched a DVD of the Star Wars Trilogy.

>> No.3053557

Gaylo seriously ruined video games for all eternity.

>> No.3053567

>>3053360

Exactly...

90's children TV shows were full of PC "we're all equals! we're all buddies!" crap.

To make matters worse that's about the same time as soy lecithin, plastic crap and other testosterone inhibitors came unto the market.

Back in the 80s we had GI Joes, Heman or transformers. Our parents allowed us to go play outside unsupervised.

90s kids and later are effeminate, and have no vigor. Sickly, pale and diabetes ridden femmes.

>> No.3053573

>>3053567
>90's children TV shows were full of PC "we're all equals! we're all buddies!" crap.
I don't remember that happening. What shows were those.

>> No.3053602

LOL at the leborninthewronggeneration Millenials ITT.

>> No.3053623

millennials are such pussies

any 80s person can take on 3 millennials at once

>> No.3053627

>>3053623
Well no really they couldn't with their old arthritic bones and garden slug reflexes.

>> No.3053640

millenials love cock fencing with each other in their dorm showers

>> No.3053642

Jesus Christ this thread went to shit faster than a Taco Bell combo meal.

>> No.3053651

>>3053642

maybe you have yourself to blame.

millenial maggot

>> No.3053658

>>3052070
i think retro is defined as around 20 years old in pop culture terms.

I think a bunch of us have just been playing these games since they came out. now that we're older we can afford all the things we couldn't when we were kids, making it a more serious hobby. I think very few people actually make it their lifestyle.

also when SD3 came out... so hype

>> No.3053678

>>3053623
Technically, people born in the eighties are millennials

>> No.3053732

>>3053678
Never start a sentence with "Technically," unless you are a guest speaker at an engineering conference and someone asks, "Professor, what is your technical opinion of our new motorized dildo?"

>> No.3053736

>>3052531
So Medal of Honour has more in common with Pong than Call of Duty?

>> No.3053796

ITT: Hipsters

>> No.3053805

>>3053796

Millenials invented hispters.

They made brownies out of anal fudge.

>> No.3053824
File: 1 KB, 56x56, NesticleLogo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Retro gaming was always just playing with your balls. We've known this since the very beginning. Just have fun.

>> No.3053834

>>3052663
Come on he got a point. Times have changed and we get bombarded with bullshit from all Sides followed by big campaigns that this is the shit.
I dont say older films are better per se but yeah less garbage got produced then.
Same goes for games.

>> No.3053887
File: 23 KB, 250x250, 1300044776986.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3053834
>I dont say older films are better per se but yeah less garbage got produced then

>> No.3053894

Millenials are proof that abortion should be encouraged more.

>> No.3053905

>>3053834

Garbage got produce then just like it gets produced now. The same goes for games. Wanna find out yourself? Easy. Go download the entire NES library. You'll soon realise that it's 90% shite.

>> No.3053907

>>3053894
You can't even spell millennial, and if you're older than 16 and younger than 35 (you likely are), then you are a millennial.

In short, fuck you.

>> No.3053920

>>3053905
Or the Commodore 64. It's terrifying just how much British tape shovelware there was.

>> No.3053924

>>3053907
>>>3053834

There have been several studies that showed that millenials have the shortest penis size of any generation,

Guess the plastic, soy and other testosterone inhibitors really made a bunch of manlets how of your generation.

FACT: most millenials have manboobs.

>> No.3053934

>>3053924
I'm going to reply just to see how much deeper you're going to dig yourself in.

>> No.3053939

>>3053924
>several studies that showed that millenials have the shortest penis size of any generation
okay post one.

>> No.3053942

>>3052070
>When
Two words. Lets Play. And the world has had cancer ever since.

>> No.3053948

>>3053934

Stop with your gay inuendos...

For the last time, I'm not gay and I'm not interested.

>> No.3053957

>>3053924
>FACT: most millenials have manboobs.

50% of them have regular boobs, so unless every male millennial also has bitchtits then you're wrong right there. Why you hate yourself, man.

>> No.3053960

>>3053948
Go home, Drumpf, you're drunk.

>> No.3054002

>>3053957

Your math is correct.

Since millenial men don't exist because they are all sissies...that means that 50% of millenials have tits and other 50% of women have flat chests.

>> No.3054010

>>3053942
Yes, god forbid people enjoy watching others play videogames.

>> No.3054013

This thread is shit.

>> No.3054020

>>3054013

Well that's the way it turned out since you've posted a message.

>> No.3054029

>>3054013

stfu hipster

>> No.3054069

>>3053732
I'll start a sentence however I damn well please

>> No.3054087 [DELETED] 

>>3054069

Your lack of education is obvious to everyone.

>> No.3054454

>>3053234
If anything you're the dumb kid

>> No.3054576

Youtube and Virtual Console are responsible.

>> No.3054595

>>3052272
i agree with this i used to have this shitty mentality until i really gave modern games a chance, yeah some are easier than retro games but if you find it find, keep playing it.
>>3052137
>only x kids will remember
people need to stop with that shit. It's stupid I mean i know alot of people my age, im 21, so im probably alot younger than a majority of this thread/board. But who cares its not like anyone from mid 94 onwards really remembers the 90s. I feel like age doesn't matter when it comes to enjoying certain things. I love old and new stuff. I'd say who gives a fuck (most of the time) what you like, if you enjoy it then keep doing so if not don't be a dick about it. though i enjoy more retro games than modern because the Neo geo and Sega were around and they aren't today hardware wise
>>3052741
>>3052717
now that you bring it up...i guess you make a valid point. I never really thought about it until now.

>> No.3054608

>>3052096
Marat was such an asshole. I used to hang out in #emu regularly.

I was there when the whole shitstorm with Mindrape stealing the Nesticle source went down. Good times.

>> No.3054612

>>3054608
Story time. Keep talking.

>> No.3054613

>>3052070
Around the time you thought it was reasonable to write these kind of bullshit think-piece posts instead of just playing the games you want to play

>> No.3054634

>>3052070
I think a big part of it was some people becoming disenfranchised with modern gaming. Myself as an example: 3 years ago, I got totally fed up with paying $60 for games I'd beat once and flavors of the month, so I went and got myself a SNES again and started really digging into older games.

At that time, it wasn't so bad, because games like Chrono Trigger were still going for $60-$70, and compared to new games, they were worth it. And there were tons of cheaper options too. Like the ENTIRE Genesis library, for example.

And besides all that, I'd continuously had a MASSIVE PSX collection since the late 90's anyway. So I was pretty well off without modern machines or games.

Then one day, my hipster friend Chris calls up and says: "Hey man, I 'm going RETRO! I'm getting ALL the retro consoles and ALL the best games!!!"
(OK, not EXACTLY like that, but that was the gist of it)

I knew that was the beginning of the end right there, because Chris is the BIGGEST fucking trend whore who ever lived.

Before I knew it, all eBay listings said things like "RARE!!!" and "retro" in their titles, CT shot up to $120 minimum and now even less popular machines like Genesis and original Xbox have psychotically expensive games on them. And for no real reason. Just "le retro" retards and resellers working together to drive up prices.

So now I end up buying games without labels and or cases to save a buck. And it's totally fine, because I buy them to play them. Not to look at them or collect them and not because it's cool.

Personally, I hope it's like the Neo-Geo boom (and deflation) that happened about a decade ago, and morons buying shit up for premiums now end up losing their shirts later, lol.

>> No.3054641

>>3052112
Yeah it sure takes a whole lot of focus to play Boogerman or Super Mario Land. Jesus.

>> No.3054647 [DELETED] 

>>3054010
You seem pretty defensive there kiddo. Sounds like you might be part of the cancer.

>> No.3054653

>>3054613
But playing whiny little bitches like you is the greatest game of all

>> No.3054669
File: 96 KB, 639x545, 1457576583336.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3054634
tfw kids growing up today will think the ps3 and xbox 360 are "retro" consoles and will pay big bucks for super rare copies of "old school" games such as halo 3 and mgs4

>> No.3054670

>>3054010
When 99% of them are autists with shit nasal voices playing shit games and screeching inane commentary- yes, god ought to forbid that.

>> No.3054745 [DELETED] 

>>3054087
>u dont follow my made up rulz so ur stoopid

>> No.3054990

>>3054669
Except they won't because current-gen games rely heavily on online services and DLC that won't exist in 25 years.

>> No.3054998

>>3054990
Games that require an internet connection are a minority and game breaking glitches aren't anywhere near as common as some people make out. I haven't connected my 360 to the internet in years.

I'm sure the failure rate of the console itself will be a bigger problem than Microsoft cutting on-line support.

>> No.3055006

>>3054998
>Games that require an internet connection are a minority

Where the fuck do you kids get these blinders? I'm serious. The world must be nothing but shitting rainbows.

That was one of the most ridiculous statements in this thread. And that's saying something.

>> No.3055013

>>3055006
As I say, I haven't connected my 360 to the internet for years, yet some how the games still work.

Maybe I have a magic Xbox.

>> No.3055016

>>3054990
Also, there used to be mountains of share/freeware games like Chip's Challenge. Those don't exist anymore; they've all been replaced by online Flash games. None of which will still exist in 25 years. An entire era of gaming history will disappear in a puff of smoke.

>> No.3055017

>>3055016
No one kept the good ones?

Surely there must be some nerds out there dedicated to archiving them.

>> No.3055018

>>3055016
>None of which will still exist in 25 years.

You can save .swf files you know.

>> No.3055021

>>3053415
It's also 1920s (or something) slang that means the person who says it has found a good opportunity to leave.

The more you know.

>> No.3055023

>>3055013
Or maybe you’re just a fucking child? I don’t know? Hipster?

All the top rated games of that gen had online connectivity. Some require it. This kind of thinking just doesn’t compute with me. The games that define that generation are online games. You got GTA 5, CoD Black Ops 2, CoD Black Ops 1, CoD MW 3, CoD MW 2, Halo 4, Halo 3, Halo Reach, minecraft, Gears of War, etc. That’s what people who own those consoles played. That’s what they talked about. That’s what they’re excited for.

They aren’t the minority. Far from it, they are the majority.

You playing some obscure game isn’t what represents the console. The obscure games add to a console but they rarely define a console. I wasn’t around for the Atari 2600. What did I do when I wanted to experience it? I played the games that people bought and that the magazines hyped up the most. That’s what most people would had played then. I didn’t go straight for the “le im hipster and I only play hidden gems XD” bullshit like you. Did I play some? Yes of course but I didn’t go and say that represents the console. Something like Beamrider while cool isn’t really what represented the console.

I’ll never get your mindset and it seem to be prolific with modern gamers and people that still enjoy modern games.

>> No.3055024

>>3052457
Shit, what elder dragon is that? I haven't played 4U in forever.

>> No.3055041 [DELETED] 

>>3055021
https://youtu.be/YgHNtzxO0y8

>> No.3055042

>>3052070
I just never stopped playing the consoles I had, SNES, N64 and GC. I had a Wii, but few games, and by that time I'd kinda lost touch with modern games. Eventually I got rid of my Wii (gave it to a good friend), and occasionally get out the others just for nostalgia more than anything. I can barely afford having a modern console now that I don't live with my parents anymore, and even though some games seem interesting, it's not really enough to really spend the money on a modern gaming system. I play modern PC games every now and then (lately just Stick of Truth and nothing else).
I guess I'm kind of a retrogamer, but it's really just that I got stuck in the era of my childhood and haven't really "gotten with the times".

Does /vr/ hate me now?

>> No.3055103

>>3055023
Keep in mind patches as well. The patch servers won't be up forever. Day 1 patches are an expectation, and they are about 5GB.

I wouldn't want to play unpatched games forever, so I don't know how I feel about modern games.

>> No.3055220

>>3055103
Patches are nothing new either. And personally, I'm happy games can get patched now. There are a lot of 8 and 16 bit titles that could have used a few post-release tweaks.

But then I don't look at every game as something I'm going to want to preserve perfectly for all eternity. They're like books and movies to me, consumable. I play, enjoy and move on to something else when I'm done or bored.

That I can't go play Tribes 1 or 2 now without jumping through a lot of hoops and even then having trouble populating a server. But you know what, that's okay. They were awesome games in their time, but I don't need to relive them for eternity. I miss Tribes, but I would rather look forward rather than back.

Already if games stopped being produced right now I would have such a backlog I will never complete them all before I die. And new stuff gets added to the pile all the time.

And finally on the price point that gets brought up a lot. If you are a working adult, gaming is really one of the least expensive hobbies there is. The people here seriously complaining about the price of games really makes me wonder what you're doing with your lives.

For one thing, prices have remained shockingly steady or actually dropped. Complaining about $50 for Street Fighter V in 2016 is laughable when I paid $75 for Street Fighter 2 over 20 years ago. Compare games to traveling or even outdoor hiking gear, let along hunting or fishing equipment and the cost is extremely low.

Not to bash, if you're a teenager or poor college student that's one thing but if you're a working adult with a full time job and the price of video games as a hobby makes you balk then you need to look seriously at how you're handling your money.

>> No.3055231

In 30 years, you'll still be able to play any Atari 2600 game ever made, but you won't be able to play a large portion of the Xbox 360's library. Also all those Flash/JavaScript online PC games will be gone. You won't be able to download archives of them like you can with Windows 3.1 shareware.

>> No.3055234

>>3055231
I wouldn't be so sure. I have an external HD full of 360 games that already run decently without a 360. Online is another thing, but whatever. Tons of single player games on that thing. I'm betting in 30 years the PCs of the day will be more than able to compensate.

Plus in 30 years there will also be another 30 years worth of games to explore and play. I already haven't booted up a 2600 game in almost 15 years. Wouldn't be surprised if 30 goes by and I still haven't again.

Sure some games are lost to time, many already are. But again, who really cares? You'll never be able to play everything anyways.

>> No.3055241

>>3055220
>Muh shillings
I bet you bought a retron 5, waifu faggot.

>> No.3055243

>>3055241
I wouldn't buy a useless piece of junk like that. But I have no trouble paying for actual games.

>> No.3055249

like playing old games. it's not a lifestyle it's just interesting and readily available so why not

>> No.3055252
File: 26 KB, 512x448, 17951.jpg.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3055249
Totally! A ton of old games fucking rock. That's why people still play them.

>> No.3055257

>>3052070
> Playing Megaman 2 with a one handed controller

>> No.3055264

>>3055220
Why post here? You're obviously a caner modern gamer.

>> No.3055269
File: 3 KB, 320x200, rogue_1.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3055264
Because I love games of all eras and play old ones regularly so this is a great place to talk about them.

>> No.3055280

>>3055269
You love cancer.

>> No.3055285 [DELETED] 

>>3055023
Not a single one of the games you mentioned requires an internet connection to play.

In 40 years, assuming you can find a working 360, you'll be able to plug it into your vintage hdtv and play every single one of those games.

>> No.3055291

>>3055042
>Nintendo consoles after SNES
>knows what he's talking about

>> No.3055298
File: 22 KB, 207x145, 2a1.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3055280
What do you even really mean when you say that? I like games. There hasn't been a single year go by that there haven't been at least a few that I loved, so I'm going to do what it takes to play them.

I make fun of you because you come off as an entitled little brat. The cost and bullshit you have to go through to play them is no worse now than it ever was. If anything, I think it's better now in most ways than it ever has been.

You like to pretend you know everything and call anyone who disagrees with you a kid, but the projection is embarrassingly obvious. Now just chill and let's talk about games, yeah?

>> No.3055310

>>3055023
Not a single one of the games you mentioned requires an internet connection to play.

In 40 years, assuming you can find a working 360, you'll be able to plug it into your vintage hdtv and play every single one of those games.

>> No.3055330

>>3055310
There core gameplay is online.
>>3055298
The difference is I'm not entitled. I don't expect there to be games that appeal to me. There often aren't.

>> No.3055364

>>3055330
>There core gameplay is online.
>There
And you call me a child...

In any case, while the on-line features of those games were very popular, they mostly had strong single player campaigns and offline multi-player options such as split screen and system link. To describe the online elements as the "core gameplay" seems rather dishonest. Especially as most of the games allow you to do everything you could do online while offline

I know my friends and I would regularly play Modern Warfare with the split screen co-op. And I'm sure that you, as a proud retro gamer, appreciate the appeal of getting some friends around for a gaming session or going to a lan party.

>> No.3055365

>>3055364
>they mostly had strong single player campaigns

I nearly died. Oh man, don't type something that retarded while I'm sipping my coffee.

>> No.3055370

>>3055365
You're welcome to your opinion, but it says a lot when all you can back it up with are lies and childish jokes.

>> No.3055375

>>3055370
You keep telling me how minecraft "had strong single player campaigns and offline multi-player options such as split screen and system link."

All the consoleshit FPS campaigns are boring regen fests into the wonderful world of corridor hell level design.

>> No.3055387

>>3055006
But it is objectively true.

Games that are multiplayer only are pretty damn rare compared to games with both offline and online play. And lots of people prefer to play games single player or split screen with friends.

There were also a lot of fairly popular games without multiplayer or where the multiplayer was completely secondary to the single player.

>> No.3055391

>>3055375
>You keep telling me how minecraft "had strong single player campaigns and offline multi-player options such as split screen and system link."
I know your English is fairly poor, so I'm going to assume you don't understand the term "mostly."

>All the consoleshit FPS campaigns are boring regen fests into the wonderful world of corridor hell level design.
Well you've already made your views on modern gaming clear. But they were received positively at the time and if any of the kids who enjoyed them want to return to them in 40 years then they'll be able to. Despite your claims to the contrary.

>> No.3055392

>>3055387
>But it is objectively true.

Stop.

>> No.3055394

>>3055387
Good luck attempting to full enjoy any of the games I listed without online.

>>3055391
I doubt it.

>> No.3055401

>>3055391
>and if any of the kids who enjoyed them want to return to them in 40 years then they'll be able to
How you gonna play Minecraft in 30 years when it exists completely online instead of on a ROM cartridge or a floppy disk like it's 1988.

>> No.3055410

>>3055401
There's a physical release of the console versions.

>> No.3055419

>>3055394
So you are ignoring the fact that large numbers of people did and still do enjoy those games offline?

>>3055392
Stop what? Not letting people get away with telling obvious lies on the internet?

I only have two 6th generation games that sold less than a million and I have not played any of them online for over two years. Its ridiculous to claim Call of Duty, Halo, GTA and Gears are the only games people discuss or will remember.

>> No.3055430

>>3055419
You're actually arguing that people don't play CoD online? That the online multiplayer of CoD isn't its main feature?

>> No.3055436

>>3055430
>You're actually arguing that people don't play CoD online?

Nobody said this.

The problem is your ridiculous claim that you cannot buy an old 360/PS3 in the future and play games on it. Just because a few popular games are played online a lot does not mean people won't buy them to play the single player/split screen in the future.

Or that there are not dozens or hundreds of other games people will buy to play offline.

>> No.3055440

>>3055436
No kid. Stop.

Here's what will happen even just 5 years from now. You'll buy that 360. Through a game like CoD w/e in it. And you'll be stuck with a gimped game that can't update or play online.

>> No.3055443

>>3055430
Multiplayer was the most popular feature. Online is the quickest and easiest way to play CoD multipayer, but it's not the only way.

That is the key point you are missing.

>> No.3055456

>>3052307
Not him, but I have absolutely no idea why and found it surprising. I got into retrogaming wen I was ten in 2005 because I found a magazine called Retrogame at the mall. It was full of old promotional art, reviews of well-known and obscure games alike, on arcade, old consoles and computers, and I picked it up because I found all these old games very intriguing. Then I downloaded Mame and a bunch of others emulators. I don't wanna sound like a hipster, but it really was before it was "hip" and cool to play old games. In school I was "that moron who plays ugly old-ass games". Then /vr/ games became popular again but I didn't really understand why playing old games makes people think they're cool and have nerd cred. It does not make you superior, some of them are pretty shitty and some others are awesome, but that's nothing to obsess about.

>> No.3055457

>>3055440
>And you'll be stuck with a gimped game that can't update or play online.
You mean I'll have to actually invite my friends over and interact with them in person if I want to play multi-player? How horrible.

>> No.3055471

>>3055440
>kid

Do you have an actual argument or are you just going to keep lying while calling people kids for realising most games have single player that people use? Why does a game need updates unless its broken?

>> No.3055476

>>3055440
He'll be stuck with a gimped game while your children and grandchildren will still be able to play Yar's Revenge.

>> No.3055525

Yar's Revenge is pretty fun.
I like the explosion.

>> No.3055529

>>3055456
>age 10 in 2005
Get out

>> No.3055536

>>3055310
How will we get the patches?
>well mod your system and torrent them

So why buy games in the first place?

>> No.3055549

>>3055529
>Implying I can't enjoy /vr/ games because I was ten in 2005

>> No.3055584

>>3052406
That is nonsense. Yes, if you lived in the woods alone with your child completely isolated, you could raise him as a 1980s, 1950s or even 1800s boy, if you wanted.

>> No.3055626

>>3055536
>How will we get the patches?
I don't even bother to get them now... As I said, it's been years since I connected my 360 to the internet.

But yeah, if you got some major game breaking glitch, like MGS4, then download them and install manually.

>So why buy games in the first place?
I dunno, you tell me.

The only reason I haven't bothered to mod my 360 yet is cus the games are so cheap atm.

>> No.3055635

>>3052406
Meh, I grew up with NES/Win95 games and I had a period of playing text adventures.

>> No.3055648

>>3052729
>What do you think the fucking renaissance was? A bunch of faggots got together and said, "Man remember all these old classics? These guys sure had the right idea."
Huh, no, bad example. You don't feel nostalgic for something that happened one thousand years before you were born.

This trend of profiting from nostalgia is quite new. This doesn't mean they didn't make remakes or recycle old stories before. It just means that the reasons to do so have changed.

>> No.3055727

This thread sucks.

>> No.3055861

>>3055727
>breaking news: a thread on 4chan sucks

>> No.3055898

>>3052625
That's a stretch. Most younger types I've met would pirate everything if possible, and endless criticize games for lacking realism feature xyz.

>> No.3055930

>>3055898
>Most younger types I've met would pirate everything if possible
ARE YOU SERIOUSLY CLAIMING NOBODY IN THE 80s-90s EVER PIRATED A COMPUTER GAME?

>> No.3055936

>>3055930
Um, have you ever seen "Don't Copy that Floppy?" Shit was effective.

>> No.3055946
File: 224 KB, 552x414, gfk.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3055936
>Um, have you ever seen "Don't Copy that Floppy?" Shit was effective

>> No.3055970

>>3055930
Pirating was a pretty niche thing. Hell PC games may as well had been niche.

>> No.3055972

>Do not try and say the thread sucks. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth.
>What truth?
>There is no thread.
>There is no thread?
>Then you'll see, that it is not the thread that sucks, it is only yourself.

>> No.3055981 [DELETED] 
File: 19 KB, 400x300, raugh.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3055970
>Pirating was a pretty niche thing.
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
*gasp*
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

>> No.3055982

>>3055970
Computer gaming was a small community back then but proportionate to its total numbers you can bet that a fuck of a lot of pirating was going on.

>> No.3055997

>>3055930
I've heard stories from people who said "LOL, I didn't even know you could buy Apple II games in a store."

>> No.3056003

Not that it was a bad thing; pirates did everyone a great service by cracking the often diabolical, disk drive-destroying protections found on Apple II, C64, and Amiga games.

>> No.3056007

>>3056003
and formed the basis of the digital preservation efforts that younger retrogamers take advantage of every single day. (elite hardware fags excluded, of course).

>> No.3056017

>>3055981
>>3055982
Are you two 3rd worlders?

>> No.3056030

>>3055997
Can confirm. I had multiple pirated Apple II disks in the mid 80's. My cousin would give them to me.

>> No.3056039

>>3056017
Are you under the age of 20? (serious question)

Computer game piracy only really seemed to slow with the advent of MMOs which couldn't be pirated without huge amounts of work and private servers, and then Steam which finally started being competitive with piracy in terms of availability and sheer convenience. Despite that, there's still plenty of piracy anyway.

Console games are a different story, but even then there were copiers and mod chips and flash carts starting from the NES days.

In Japan, Hacker International even offered a mail-order service for modchipping Famicoms until Nintendo shut them down.

>> No.3056054

>>3056039
I know people who pirate. It was never a very big thing. To me it only grew along with the internet.

>> No.3056058

>>3056054
oh honey, bless your heart.

>> No.3056059

>>3056007
>>3056003
Also they did it all for charity and without any monetary compensation. When you read archived Usenet posts and hear the nightmarish stories about Amiga protections...

>> No.3056061

>>3056039
Actually it had more to do with the event of CD-ROMs in the 90s. For several years, piracy slowed to a trickle because CD writers were too expensive for normal people. It started picking up again around the turn of the millenium.

>> No.3056070

>>3056058
Sorry I wasn't brown or 3rd world.

>> No.3056073

>>3056061
It didn't slow down much at all as I remember. We just made do with rips until downloading full isos became easier. A group would release the base game, and then there would be a separate video pack and/or voice pack that could be downloaded if you wanted to spend the extra bandwidth.

>> No.3056080

>>3056070
All I'm saying is that there was a lot of piracy going on right under your nose, and maybe you just didn't realize it. No offense intended. I'm not brown or 3rd world, but I also didn't grow up in a household that had enough money to buy a new game every other month.

>> No.3056096

>>3056003
>le ebik drive destroying copy protection maymay
Evidence stupid people existed in the past as well.

>> No.3056139

>>3056096
You want me to repost some excerpts from the Usenet archives? These were people who actually lived through the 80s-early 90s unlike yourself who wouldn't be born for some years.

>> No.3056153

>>3056080
And even if you did buy the game, they were usually so heavily protected that you couldn't back them up, they'd fuck your disk drive, or the disk would die in a couple of uses.

>> No.3056956

>>3056139
Top kek kid. Sure. Show us all how kids on the internet were just as stupid then as you are now.

>> No.3057005
File: 52 KB, 1458x594, usenet_0rf9.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3056956

>> No.3057006
File: 66 KB, 1243x731, usenet_0rr.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.3057008
File: 52 KB, 1466x553, usenet_compsysamiga.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.3057014
File: 33 KB, 1522x409, usenet_compsysamiga2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.3057247

>>3052276
People say the zombie mode in COD is still fun.

>> No.3057901

>>3057014
Lay off nigga, he ded! He ded!

>> No.3057916

>>3052070
im gona say probably around 1998. I remember Atari merchandise got super super big along with late 70s era videogames like pacman, river raid, space invaders. Emulators were just starting to become a thing. Early arcade, NES and gameboy emulators were pretty functional, but SNES and up were nightmares.

anyway, 1998. it was so tight.

>> No.3057928

>>3052070
90s kids were sticky finger, booger-nosed fuckfaces who grew up in the most moddly-coddly economic boom era of all time. Lots of tail end yuppie babies handed it all four times over and made into pill poppers before their balls even dropped.

every gen in their 20s is a bit edgy and self centered, and every generation gone before will take every chance they can to remark on it, but the millennials aren't just subject to opinion, their rotten behavior is straight up quantifiable.

>> No.3057964

>>3057928
Someone is mad they're not a 90s kid.

>> No.3058031

Is there anything more pathetic than someone who is almost certainly a millennial themselves going on an unfounded rant where they generalise millions of people based on nothing but their own butthurt.

>> No.3058091

>>3057916
>I remember Atari merchandise got super super big along with late 70s era videogames like pacman, river raid, space invaders
Pac-Man and River Raid came out in the 80s.

>> No.3058104

I enjoyed growing up in the 90s, but I'm a little envious of the 70s kids who got to be part of the arcade scene in its heyday. By the time I was a teenager, the arcades were already dying. I did get a chance to play some Virtua Fighter though, and there was an old hamburger shop that still had a working Rastan cabinet. I fucking loved that game.

>> No.3058115

>>3058104
Same for me. Though I did go to arcades at a very young age with my father. So anything from mid 90s and up I got to experience.

>> No.3058212

>>3052714
Actually, Rifftrax sells MP3s of their riffs for newer bad movies. The studios won't let them sell the movies, so you have to dub the audio track to the unriffed movie some way or the other.

>> No.3058219

>>3052586
>Kids, you don't get it. You will never get it or understand. Because you were brought up in a time where games became something else completely. Marketed to people with the sole intention of gaining a new market of NON-GAMERS. Games that put gameplay and quality on the back burner for a slick presentation and other bullshit to appeal to people that don't understand that said gameplay and quality is ALL THAT FUCKING MATTERS IN GAMES.
Games were for "non-gamers" from the start, since "gamers" did not even exist. Where do you think "gamers" come from? Kids that got a NES for Christmas were largely non-gamers, and then they played games and became gamers. Nintendo didn't sell to an audience of gamers, they created an audience of gamers.

Presentation has always mattered in games, even going back to games like Spacewar and Mystery House. Developers have always sought to have the best possible presentation. A game like Defender of the Crown relied in large part on the spectacle of its presentation.

>> No.3058237

I think part of it is the disconnection aspect. You see a lot of people in the early to late 20s buying older consoles because they're closer to an age where everything wasn't digital. Nowadays when you buy a game you're not just buying a game, you're buying a community if that makes sense. This isn't really a bad thing, but it's a big reason. It's also a big different from the arcade scenes having a very physical and closer community.

It's funny because as I've become a software developer I've gained a fonder appreciation for pre-2000s software, games etc. I like the idea that games are released as-is without patches since it adds a more permanence to it rather than the whole SaaS movement we see now. That's why I'm also interested in older home computers.

>> No.3058257
File: 58 KB, 500x422, ride.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3058219
>Developers have always sought to have the best possible presentation.
But mostly as a way of enhancing the underlying gameplay. When some companies tried to take a shortcut and sell games that were all presentation and no gamepay (FMV "interactive movies"), they were laughed out of town.

The old arcade-derived attitude was "Hey kid. Look at this big gorgeous mountain reaching up into the sky. Now go climb it. Give me a quarter and you can go as far as you can."

The new attitude is "Hey kid. See this nice shiny car? Why don't we take a nice relaxing ride? All your friends are already sitting in the backseat to talk with. It's only $60 for the first 10 miles, and then $3.99 for the 2-mile scenic route DLC. Or you could buy a pack of special Road Coins which....."

>> No.3058268

>>3058237

>>3055231

>> No.3058280

>>3058257
>gamepay
kek. Now there's a word that describes modern games perfectly.

>Amazing, innovative gamepay
>Gamepay is so tightly integrated
>Gamepay and story woven together seamlessly

>> No.3058285

>>3058268
This isn't quite true. We have people now storing games explicitly for the purpose of emulation later down the line; a more apt comparison would be PS4/XBone games. 360 games will still be playable even on the original systems.

As for Flash/JS games we have archives dedicated to denatured Malware created in the 80s/90s. I don't doubt we'll see something similar pop up with Flash and JS. Though imagine how many games have been lost throughout the years on Newgrounds alone.

>> No.3058303

to me anything before ps1 is old. i'm 21. to some people younger than me ps2 is probably old.

>> No.3058324

>>3058257
>When some companies tried to take a shortcut and sell games that were all presentation and no gamepay (FMV "interactive movies"), they were laughed out of town.
Defender of the Crown was mostly praised for its graphics.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defender_of_the_Crown#Reception

>The old arcade-derived attitude was "Hey kid. Look at this big gorgeous mountain reaching up into the sky. Now go climb it. Give me a quarter and you can go as far as you can."
Old games were not just arcade or arcade-inspired games. Adventure, role-playing, puzzle, strategy and simulator games and visual novels existed too.

>> No.3058337

>>3052070
It became a thing for me when I couldn't find 3d games that gave me the same level of high. So as soon as emulators existed. Exploring the Nintendo library was fun when I was more of a Sega person in real life.

>> No.3058343

>>3058324
>Defender of the Crown was mostly praised for its graphics.
Yeah but there's also a game to go along with those graphics.

>Old games were not just arcade or arcade-inspired games. Adventure, role-playing, puzzle, strategy and simulator games and visual novels existed too.
The common thread is that they provided challenge first, "interactive experience" second. Adventure games and early visual novels included. Many (not all) modern games have reversed their priorities.

>> No.3058350

>>3058343
>>3058324
I could pull up Usenet posts from 1994 which were saying literally exactly the same thing, that current games were multimedia extravaganzas without the gameplay of Donkey Kong or something.

>> No.3058358

>>3058350
I'm sure you could. And it's only gotten worse since then.

BTW I'm not the grouchy old anon from
>>3052586

But somewhere around 2007/2008, games just became too "Hollywood" for me, if that makes sense. That's probably the moment when I switched to playing retro games most of the time.

There was a moment in the Tomb Raider reboot where you have to walk across a fallen log spanning a chasm. When you walk up onto the log, Lara starts flailing her arms as if she's about to lose her balance. But you can do fucking cartwheels with the analog stick, and she'll never ever fall off. There's no fail state. There's no game. It's all for show.

>> No.3058375

>>3058358
>But somewhere around 2007/2008, games just became too "Hollywood" for me, if that makes sense.
Continuing on from there, I was actually really excited about mobile games at first, because I thought it would give devs a chance to get back to basics instead of just copying the Hollywood blockbuster model. But then the economic model killed mobile gaming with all the predatory freemium bullshit. I know there are some good, ethical mobile devs out there, but they're like a teaspoon of honey in a barrel full of shit.

>> No.3058386

>>3052070
I don't see retrogaming as a lifestyle, just an option. I could even categorize that something becomes retro when it becomes seldom seen because of its age. Playing old games is an option when you want new games, but you don't give a fuck about when they were made.

>> No.3058391

>>3058358
>But somewhere around 2007/2008, games just became too "Hollywood" for me, if that makes sense. That's probably the moment when I switched to playing retro games most of the time.

>There was a moment in the Tomb Raider reboot where you have to walk across a fallen log spanning a chasm. When you walk up onto the log, Lara starts flailing her arms as if she's about to lose her balance. But you can do fucking cartwheels with the analog stick, and she'll never ever fall off. There's no fail state. There's no game. It's all for show.

I feel you man... I feel you.

>> No.3058419

I think it's the same reason you see 14 year olds wearing AC/DC and Led Zeppelin shirts. People who didn't grow up with it glorify it and have some idealized image of a better time. The vast majority of the "retro" scene who identify as such aren't old enough to have actually played the games when they were new.

Part of the reason I very rarely browse this board is because of how much it's full of these types of hipsters. I want to talk about old games because I like them, not because they're old.

>> No.3058772

>>3058419
Maybe but it was a better time. Modern music an games suck. Get off my lawn.

>> No.3058887

>>3058772
Even if you think that way, it's never been a better time to be a gamer. You can play all the modern games that don't suck, while also having access to all the classics through emulation, flashcarts, or original hardware. I have 30+ years of gaming history packed into a little box sitting next to my bigass TV. The 10-year-old version of me would be so fucking jealous.