[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 105 KB, 1920x1080, maxresdefault.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3038821 No.3038821 [Reply] [Original]

Alright /vr/, I want to replay the classic resident evils that came out in the late 90s. What are their best versions?

For the first, does the remake supersedes the original or, is it still worth to play the 1996 one?
If so, which version should I go for, PSX, Saturn or DS?

For the second and the third I have no clue and that's where I need your input the most, what are the best versions of those two?

Finally REmake, can I safely go for the pc version or the gc/wii version is better?

>> No.3038829

RE1 doesn't have a definite version. They all have pros and cons.
PS1, Saturn and PC are all fine. Just stay away from the "Director's Cut: Dual Shock" version (the regular Director's Cut is fine) as it comes with new musics which are largely regarded as way worse than the originals.

The DS version is good, as long as you play it in classic mode and not in the pretty bad new DS mode, although it's almost a different game altogether as it has all new 3D models, new zombie AI, and a couple of new moves for the characters. It's good, but I wouldn't recommend it to someone looking to know what the real original was like.

The remake is amazing, but imo it's very, very different than the original, even in tone. I recommend to play it after the original. I like both as much, in different ways.

For RE2 and 3, Dreamcast and PC are the best versions. GC are fine.

>> No.3038838

The remakes are totally their own game. Newfags dont understand re blew up over night because it was a CHEESY ZOMBIE MOVIE. I rented it the weekend it came out (long box first edition). My friends and i werent like WOW NEXT LEVEL EVERYTHING it was more like HAHAHA THIS IS AWESOME. The franchise started to suck when it took itself seriously.

Playing the first 3 res games with any other frame of mind is a fools game.

>> No.3038839

>>3038838
this

>> No.3038853

>>3038821
I personally recommend the PS1 and DS version

REmake is good tho not classic RE.

>> No.3039016

>>3038821
>RE 0 and RE 1 (remake) are both amazing on Gamecube. Playing 0 right now and this shit is cash.

>> No.3039786

Good thread OP, I've been wondering this too. I'm just not sure I'd like these games. I watched a playthrough of RE1 and 2 and to be honest the puzzle element seems to really turn me off. Just going back and forth collecting emblems and whatever. It just looks like a major hassle. I probably would deal with it, but the limited saves scares me off too. How bad is it with regard to saving? The videos I watched only saved once.

>> No.3040021
File: 12 KB, 400x265, Typewriter_2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3039786
It's part of the survival game mechanics. You're only allowed a limited number of saves, and you must collect ink ribbons before you can even save, so yeah, you must learn to think carefully when and where. I'm not gonna lie to you. If you fail and waste all your ink ribbons too fast, you will screw yourself out of victory. If you die, and your last save was a long time ago, you must repeat a lot of stuff. But to us old farts, it was part of the challenge. It kept you vulnerable and made the experience tense.

>> No.3041094

>>3039786
Resident Evil (1)s', by design, is all about making the player FEEL like he's low on supplies.

But technically? You have tons. There is enough ammo to kill everything in the game, as long as you don't waste it.
Now though - you may have to dodge a few enemies and kill them only later, after finding more ammo, especially at the start of the game. But there is enough.

it's the same with ink ribbon. It's a way to make you feel weak, feel like there is a real danger that comes with dying. But in reality, as long as you look around and check every corner, you'll find plenty of ink ribbons. It's not a real problem. Use the ones you have if you feel like you need to, don't save them, you'll find more later.

RE2 and 3 totally dropped the cake though and you never feel like you need to converse ink ribbon.

>> No.3041651

Alright, RE2 is on sale for $1.49 on PSN this week. All I have to play it on is a PSP. Would that be fine or would the controls be bad?

>> No.3041741
File: 67 KB, 500x500, Resident_Evil_[Director's_Cut]_[U]-2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3038821
this one because it supports the dual shock controller

>> No.3041750

I'd stay away from the remake, if only to make less depressing the jump to RE2-3. Play Director's cut first, leave the remake for a replay or something.

As for RE2 & 3, you can play in any console you want. RE3 has nicer graphics in Dreamcast though.

>> No.3041752
File: 906 KB, 1326x2388, 1376555071330.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Dreamcast versions for 2 & 3
PSN version for Code Veronica
PC ports for 0 & 1 are solid

about RE1, unless you're going for the retro experience I would actually go with REmake. It's the perfect video game remake and stays true to the original.

>> No.3041753
File: 66 KB, 450x450, RE_Survivor_front.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.3041757

>>3038821

The REmake is better then the original, but if you want the classic 90's RE experience, play the original game. Not only will it be jarring to go from REmake to Re2 and Re3, but it won't be the same experiance.

REmake is the loveletter to the classic RE fans, its considered by many to be the perfect Resident Evil game, its also the hardest. The layout of the game and story is mostly similar to the first game. However there is enough new stuff and enough things have changed to even throw veterans off. You will appreciate REmake more after you played the first game, there is no other way to go about it.

>> No.3041781

PC, Power VR accelerated

>> No.3042021

>>3041752
My TV can't play 240p, am I screwed? Even if it's just cutscenes it shuts down.

>> No.3042052
File: 253 KB, 1920x1080, 2015-03-20_00005.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3041741

>> No.3042142
File: 1.99 MB, 350x300, 1453745970584.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3041651
>RE2 and RE3 are a whopping $1.49/ea
>RE1 Director's Cut is still TEN DOLLARS
Is it still worth it?

>> No.3042170

>>3038821
RE1: Director's Cut (non-Dual Shock) or Deadly Silence

RE2: Dreamcast (has Nightmare difficulty mode but censored death scenes) or GameCube (no censorship, but no Nightmare mode)

RE3: GameCube (has best character models of any version)

Code Veronica: Dreamcast (I wasn't a fan of the extra scenes in the X version)

>> No.3042183 [DELETED] 

>>3038829
>which are largely regarded as way worse than the originals.

Only because idiots like you keep linking to that one shitty song whenever the superior version is brought up. Oh yeah let's all disregard the way more appropriate soundtrack for an inferior one solely because of some stupid meme. God I love you so much kill yourself you stupid shitposter.

>> No.3042190

>>3041752
But a lot of what makes REmake so good is how it totally screws with the expectations of people who played the original to hell and back while still being faithful.

>> No.3042380

Why aren't RE 1-3 on Steam? They got nearly every other one on there.

>> No.3043206

>>3042142
Glad there's an RE thread up already. I just bought Nemesis on PSN since it's the only PS1 RE game I've never played. I'm not particularly good at classic survival horror games so should I choose easy mode first and then take on hard mode once I know the game? Or is hard mode the way I should go into it?

>> No.3043215

>>3043206
dont go easy they give you an assault rifle right at the start
and re3 gives you a metric fuckton of ammo on hard

>> No.3043218

>>3043215
Alright, I'll go with hard then. I hate to admit this since I'm almost 30 but I'm kind of afraid of the Nemesis encounters. How quickly can he kill you on hard mode?

>> No.3043225

>>3043218
his punches are easily dodged and his grabs will only kill you in i believe orange caution health levels as long as you mash out of it
you can avoid him 90% of the time but killing him multiple times gives weapons and health

>> No.3043227

>>3043225
Yeah I figure I'll just avoid him on my first playthrough. It seems like you can get through it just fine without the extra stuff he drops.

>> No.3043450

>>3043225
Yellow Caution kills you, just replayed it.

>>3043227
Its really not that hard. The game kinda gives you a surplus of ways to get ammo so that if you were trying to kill him every time you could.

Kinda spoiler for near the end:
The final bosses have ways of being defeated that require tons of skill, but little ammo

>> No.3043468

>>3043450
>Its really not that hard. The game kinda gives you a surplus of ways to get ammo so that if you were trying to kill him every time you could.

...Yeah; but if you ALSO want to kill many regular enemies at the same time, you need to be very smart about your ammo use and ammo making.

Protip for Nemesis make those blue gas grenades, the Freeze Rounds. Making them by mixing regular grenades with C powder is how you can get the most of it; but you loose the regular grenades

>> No.3043509
File: 1.17 MB, 1073x1068, tumblr_nl2s5xdBfF1txqe12o1_1280.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3043225
Can you control jill's dodges?
I am trying to knife nemesis down outside of the precint but sometimes, she dodges the wrong way and I end up getting hit anyways.

It totally seems random in which direction she's going to dodge.

>> No.3043552
File: 96 KB, 540x675, RE3Card_crusher_nemesis.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3043509
I don't believe you can control the direction. it basically depends on your opponent's attack, and on what kind of dodge you're doing (whether it's the one when you hit "aim" at the right moment; or the one when you hit "shoot" while aiming).

So in short; if you press "aim" right when your enemy attacks, you will dodge.
If you're in aiming stance,and press attack, right when your enemy is attacking, you will dodge.

The dodge mechanic works in a way that it can not really work against you. Anytime you get a dodge that seem random to you, it means that without the dodge mechanic, you would have been hit, and your shot (if not there was) wouldn't have registered anyway. Yeah, you MIGHT still get hit after a dodge, but that just makes things even. So, either you win from a dodge, or it changes nothing.

The "press shoot at the right time while aiming" dodge is hard to achieve; but the "press aim at the right time" dodge is easier to pull out.

Basically, if you are WITHIN the "putting my gun up in aiming stance" animation while your enemy attacks, you will dodge. So, the longer that particular animation is, the easier it will be to perform a dodge. This is why it is easier to dodge with the shotgun, than with the handgun.

The dodge mechanic is a great "easy to learn, hard to master" mechanic, which increases the skill cap of the game to a level no other RE game reached.

But it is not something I would recommend to get deep into for someone's first playthrough.

>> No.3043571
File: 7 KB, 140x157, nemesiscoolfacesmall.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

oh and by the way

>I am trying to knife nemesis down outside of the precint but sometimes

I don't think you realize what you are doing.
I did a knife only run, once. I did it in the easy difficulty of Biohazard: The Last Escape. Meaning, the easiest version of the game excisting (BH3 is easier than RE3).

The only Nemesis fight that requires you to KILL him and which offers you no gimmick environment help, is at the clock tower.

With the knife, to kill him at the clock tower in the easiest version of the game, it is a 20-25 minutes endurance choregraphy figured out on a step-close basis.
So, to give you a comparaison point, he doesn't really have much more health at the Clock Tower fight than he does during all the previous "regular" fights of the game.
That and, between BH3-easy and RE3-Normal, I'd say you can roughly add 30% more health.

Give up the knife, it is hopeless.

If by preccinct you mean in front of the policestation when you meet Brad, this is actually one of the hardest fight in the game against him due to the lack of strong weapons of health item (please note that this encounter, and the one just after, when he spawns inside the building, are two different ones, so you can't go grab supplies inside and come back for that first encounter).

So you have to do with what you have : the shotgun, the basic handgun, and a couple of mixed herbs (assuming you haven't used them yet).

How I do it is with the handgun. The shotgun has WAY too slow animations. Shoot once with it, and it will trigger his "running rage" animation, and he'll come punch you and knock you down before you've even stopped the reloading animation.

(cont)

>> No.3043586 [DELETED] 
File: 1.32 MB, 1405x1037, RE3DinoCrisisPoster.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3043571
(cont)

So arm yourself with the handgun, enough ammo, and patience.
Stay at the right distance. Not too close, or you'll get hit, not too far or he'll come rushing towards you.
Shoot between 2 and 4 bullets of the handgun (depending on how well you're handling the distance), then start running a bit further, while staying at the correct distance, and repeat.

If he comes running towards you, run. You have to a sort of run when you do a semi-circle when he's close to you, towards the arm is he NOT using to punch you. You'll see what I mean.
Most of the times, when he's done running towards you and you avoid his punch, he'll go back to his walking animation, meaning you can resume the "keep at the right distance - shoot a few bullets" situation. Be careful though, SOMETIMES, after you dodge a punch like this, he'll do a 2nd running-punch animation. But never three times.

If you're knocked-down and he grabs you by the throat, mash every button of the pad like your life depends on it.

After this fight, you'll better weapons, more supplies, it will be easy.

Pic is Dino Crisis poster easter egg in the game.

>> No.3043607
File: 1.32 MB, 1405x1037, RE3DinoCrisisPoster.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

(cont)

So arm yourself with the handgun, enough ammo, and patience.
Stay at the right distance. Not too close, or you'll get hit, not too far or he'll come rushing towards you.
Shoot between 2 and 4 bullets of the handgun (depending on how well you're handling the distance), then start running a bit further, while staying at the correct distance, and repeat.

If he comes running towards you, run. You have to perform a sort of run whereyou do a semi-circle motion when he's close to you, about to punch you, and your must turn towards the arm he is NOT using to punch you. He always uses the same arm to punch, you'll see what I mean.

Most of the times, when he's done running towards you and you avoid his punch, he'll go back to his walking animation, meaning you can resume the "keep at the right distance - shoot a few bullets" situation. Be careful though, SOMETIMES, after you dodge a punch like this, he'll do a 2nd running-punch animation. But I don't think he ever does it more than twice, or maybe it just never happened to me.

If you're knocked-down and he grabs you by the throat, mash every button of the pad like your life depends on it.

After this fight, you'll better weapons, more supplies, it will be easier.

Pic is Dino Crisis poster easter egg in the game.

>> No.3043634

>>3043607
Oh my god, shut up already and learn to edit down your sentences you windbag.

>> No.3043636

>>3043634
Or just filter me and stop shitting up threads with useless posts.

>> No.3043640

>>3043206 here. I'm playing this on the Vita because PS1 games look nicer on the small screen. I know the R2 button automatically aims at explosive barrels and such. Is that a big deal throughout the game?

>> No.3043658
File: 853 KB, 500x292, RE3zombies.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3043640
You can do without it, but it helps in a few situations throughout the game.

In any case you can always aim manually towards explosive barrels.

It also auto-aims environmental objects you can shoot to help you in some fights the lamps at the entrance of the park after the hospital, the pole you can shoot down during the 2nd fight against the giant mutated worm, the acid valves during the second-to last Nemesis fight in the waste disposal room

>> No.3043803

>>3043636
Ironic.

>> No.3043836

>>3038821
Ds version lets you touch jill´s ass and tits.

>> No.3044845

>>3043607
Why are only certain random parts of the background heavily pixelated?

>> No.3044858

>>3043636
>stacks 4 responses in a row
>over a fairly simple yes/no question
>calling anyone a shitposter

Rich.

>> No.3044921

>>3043658
>You can press R2 to automatically aim at enviromental objects

I-I-I never knew that

>> No.3044931

>>3043636
Haven't you figured out by now that no one wants you here?

>> No.3044950

>>3041741
Well its a toss up ya know you can either have good music with no analog or you can have analog and this mastetpiece

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0kcF7E69C6Q

>> No.3045523 [DELETED] 

>>3044858

It wasn't just a simple yes/no question. The answer is, yes you can control the dodges and that's how you can control them, but no you can't exactly control the directions, although you'll learn what kind of dodge will trigger what kind of animation in which direction with time.

A lot of people starting to play RE3 feel like the dodge system can fuck them up sometimes, it is important to know how to it works and realize it is never the case unless you're very, very unlucky.

>> No.3045557

>>3044858

It wasn't just a simple yes/no question. The answer is, yes you can control the dodges and that's how you can control them, but no you can't exactly control the directions, although you'll learn what kind of dodge will trigger what kind of animation in which direction with time.

A lot of people starting to play RE3 feel like the dodge system can fuck them up sometimes, it is important to know how to it works and realize it is never the case unless you're very, very unlucky.

As for battling Nemesis with a knife and/or at the preccinct, I'm just saving him a LOT of time and frustration.

>> No.3046204

>>3038821
Try Resident Evil Ultimate Directors' Cut Dual Shock [MOD] (best version of the original).

>> No.3046369

>>3045557
>The answer is, yes you can control the dodges and that's how you can control them, but no you can't exactly control the directions, although you'll learn what kind of dodge will trigger what kind of animation in which direction with time.
Why did you write three long posts when you could've answered with a simple sentence?

>> No.3046720

>Buy Code Veronica X to play for the first time
>Its fucking terrible

Jesus christ I just beat the Tyrant but I dont want to play anymore
>ALL
>THIS
>FUCKING
BACKTRACKING

Holy fuck what were they thinking. Before this I thought Nemesis had a lot of backtracking.

Jesus fucking christ this is unbearable.

>> No.3046776

>>3046720
just wait for the hunter spawning sentry bots :^)

>> No.3046964
File: 73 KB, 367x202, 1410371768015.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3042142
>buy it thinking it's regular Director's Cut
>turns out it's the fart noises DualShock ver.
I should have done my research first

>> No.3046971

>>3046964
It was bullshit. I did my research and it said that the cover art they show in the shop IS THE COVER ART for the regular directors cut.

However once you install it they pull the switch

>> No.3049401

Alright, I'm this guy >>3039786, >>3041651 again

I got it off PSN today and have been playing on the PSP. It's GOAT af. I'm pretty mad I never played it before now. Though I did try 11 years ago with RE1 but it never arrived in the mail from ebay.

I got off to a rocky start but now I'm drowning in ink ribbons already got 70 bullets. Though I'm really low on shotgun ones so far. Doing Leon first btw.

>> No.3049407

>>3049401
one tip for you is if you find weapon parts dont combine them with a gun until your gun is empty
its free ammo

>> No.3049580
File: 18 KB, 320x240, residentevil02.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The sharks went from a joke in the original to fucking terrifying in the remake.

>> No.3050567

Which remake is the best to buy? I'd probably get it on Steam but people I heard said Gamecube version is better since on PC the backgrounds aren't true HD and look goofy.

>> No.3050574

>>3050567
The Steam version is amazing, so long as you stick with classic controls and 4/3 backgrounds.

The new controls and 16/9 backgrounds are awful but optional

>> No.3051309

>>3050574
I have it on PS4 and it looks great as well. Personally I like the new analog controls.

>> No.3051439

>>3050567
Played it on PS4. Looks great in my opinion. You have to change the control scheme to the original though, the standard control scheme in the game is the new one and it sucks.

>> No.3052968

>>3051309
I think it's above a mere matter of taste.
The new control schemes allows movement which weren't, and shouldn't be, possible in the game.
The game was made with the original control scheme in mind, environments, enemies AI, animations and attacks, etc everything comes together with the control scheme.

The new one makes the game unfairly easy, you're playing against the rules, it throws the entire gameplay system off balance.
It's as if there was a new port of Super Mario Bros and you gave it SMB3 controls and powerups, or double jump or something....

Plus, they didn't add any new animation for the new movement allowed, it's just lazy, and it looks like the character is "teleporting" from one direction to another.

Here is a comparing how easy to bait a zombie it is with the new control scheme VS the original one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xl1yrt4Scec

This is all very much like the "boost" "features" in recent ports of FF7/8/9. They think that porting the game to a "modern audiance" means allowing them to cheat, without calling it a cheat so they don't feel bad about it.

>> No.3053090

>>3052968
wow that looks broken as fuck

Probably fun if you've already mastered the game six ways from Sunday but for a first play it shouldn't be a allowed. You should have to unlock it.