[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 99 KB, 640x446, snes_legend_of_zelda_link_to_the_past_p_s0bm1s.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3028903 No.3028903 [Reply] [Original]

I've playing through the zelda series for the first time, about to start A Link to the Past. I know next to nothing about the games.

Are there any re-released versions that I should play instead of the SNES version? Not any versions with major changes, like the DS version of Mario 64 starting you with Yoshi, crap like that.

>> No.3028908

There was a GBA port, you could play it with the Gamecube Gameboy player.

>> No.3028913

No. Stick with the Super NES version. It's the best.

>> No.3028924

>>3028908
He 'could' but he asked about 'should and
>>3028913

>> No.3030075

There's a GBA port with an optional dungeon you can't access without link cable nonsense but there's really no reason to play it over the SNES version.

>> No.3030085

>>3028903
The only Zelda re-releases with major changes to gameplay are Majora's Mask 3D and Wind Waker HD. Usually for the better, unless you have major nostalgia for either.

>> No.3030123

>>3028924
>>3028913
You'd miss out on the annoying sound effects and smaller render window of the GBA port, though.

>> No.3030130

>>3028903
You're starting with the third game in the series? Get out.

>> No.3030139

>>3030130
Disregard this person for they are bitter and ignorant.

Great game. I grew up with the first two and had no love for the series. A Link to the Past is what caused me to love the series.

>> No.3030158

>>3030139
K, you're wrong though.

>> No.3030167

>>3028903
Currently playing this on my SNES and was gonna make a thread. Hai.

The Advance version added Kid Link grunts and shit and changed up a lot of the dialogue. And you can't sequence-break as easily, I think. Just play the original version.

>> No.3030269

>>3030167
GBA actually added a sequence-break to the game to make it easier. There's a myth that a puzzle in the ice temple can get you permanently stuck if you misdo it. In reality you can leave the dungeon and it will reset. Anyways, Nintendo made that puzzle easier and able to be bypassed using the Cane of Somaria.

That said, the SNES version IS better no matter how you spin it.

GBA has some other perks but they don't match the feel of playing the original.

>> No.3030278

>>3030269
He's talking of the stair glitch that completely fucks the game up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jUph8wFKhk

>> No.3030348

OP here.

Thanks for all the responses! SNES version it is.

>>3030130
But I have played and beat Zelda 1 & 2. I just knew #3 had a bigger following and had a re-release or two.

>> No.3030987

>>3028903

The GBA version has a few tiny improvements, mainly in the script, but that's offset by the GBA's god-awful audio. Consider using this romhack for the SNES version:
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2594/

>> No.3031001

>>3030987
>Change Link’s hair to blonde.

NOPE

>> No.3031026

>>3028903

My advice with Ocarina of Time is not to focus on the main story. Treat it like a TES game, get lost as soon as possible, like a real kid would do. Go on adventures.

>> No.3031036

>>3031026
Er, did you mean OoT or LttP?

>> No.3033539

>>3031001
Seriously, why would they do that when he's historically brown if anything.

>> No.3036120

>>3030158
not that Anon, but I can relate. I knew a lot of people that had the first Zelda game and none of them could get more than halfway through without the walkthrough in nintendo power. We all thought it was cool, but most of us dropped it because it lacked direction. Yeah it was good for the time but we weren't thinking that in elementary school. We were thinking "you mean I gotta burn every bush, bomb every wall, and push every boulder just to find the next level? Guess I'll go back to Ghosts and Goblins, at least I know where I'm supposed to go."

At least rpg's had npc's to hint about what you're supposed to do. Zelda made a point to hide it's npc's. It just kinda dumped you in the woods with a wooden stick because it's dangerous and said good luck sucker.
Gee thanks kindly wise man with super magic powers who's just hiding in a cave. Thanks for this shitty stick. Very helpful.

The second one still had some hard to find things for progression but you can at least complete it without a guide. The first practically demands a guide if you're 8 years old and new to the genre.

>> No.3038578

>>3036120
>We were thinking "you mean I gotta burn every bush, bomb every wall, and push every boulder just to find the next level?
You might have been. I was thinking I'm gonna burn every bush, bomb every wall and push every boulder.

Having an issue with that was a more recent turn of events where eventually I'm like that's really not all that interesting honestly and it's kind of weak for exploration especially without any indicators one could pick up. It's just tedious. As a kid I had significantly more patience for tedium.

If someone said, I'm going to play it with a walkthrough, well I mean I don't blame them. It's not an honest playthrough of the game but I'm not going to say shit about it unless you try to make a claim like hey I beat it in thirty minutes. No you completed a walkthrough in thirty minutes. But if you're just saying yeah I played it and none of your opinions are touch the concept of time or getting lost beyond suggesting you used a walkthrough so you're experience isn't quite accurate in that respect. But you can comment on combat largely without too much of an issue.

>> No.3038636

I love this game but can never finish it.
Get to the point where with the dark world becomes a big factor I lose interest.

>> No.3038651

>>3038636
But the dark world is where the game gets really, really good.

I'm pretty sure you just don't like video games, anon.

>> No.3038656

>>3038651
If I remember correctly my first play through many many years ago as a boy I got to the point where I could fight Gannondorf but couldn't because I didn't have the right stuff so I wondered around aimlessly and lost interest. As an adult I got to Dark World and lost interest. Even considered looking things up and just felt really icky doing that with a Zelda game.

>> No.3040282
File: 1.71 MB, 1184x7812, mf6.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm almost done with this.

I suppose I'm bumping the thread as well.

>> No.3040421

reminder that right handed link is best link