[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 303 KB, 1600x1200, s-l1600.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3028439 No.3028439 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /vr/, what do you think about the Nomad?

From what I've read it's actual genesis hardware though the battery life is shit. I've always wanted one as a kid but it was way too expensive when it first came out.

How is the screen?

Is it compatible with every game?

Is it worth the investment for someone who enjoys handhelds?

>> No.3028452

>>3028439
>From what I've read it's actual genesis hardware

Yes.

>How is the screen?

Replaceable.

>Is it compatible with every game?

Yes, this includes SMS games and I even think you could insert a 32X if you really wanted.

>Is it worth the investment for someone who enjoys handhelds?

No because I would just emulate instead (although I would have to deal with the eventual incompatibility) but if you already own a flashcart then you could make this your portable Genesis which doesn't need a TV.

>> No.3028457

the concept is radical, a genesis you can easily put in a bakcpack and play on the go. It does suffer from typical early color handheld issues like a bad screen and short battery life. Fortunately both of those issues can be greatly improved with mods.

It doesn't support 32X, Sega CD, or Virtual Racing. No idea if the power base converter works. One more caveat is that there's one X-men game that requires you to press reset on the console to progress, but the Nomad has no reset button, so you can't finish that game on it. But otherwise yeah, I think it's a really cool handheld myself. I can't justify the cost when I have a PSP, but maybe someday I'll pick one up, if only to have proper 6-button support on games like Comix Zone.

>> No.3028458

>>3028439
Totally worth it. I own 2 of those.

>> No.3028467

>>3028452
>>3028457

The thing with emulation is that I've always run into problems with compatibility and sound(at least, on the PSP). I also just like the idea of using my own carts in the thing, that'd be neato. Plus it's something I've longed for since I was a kid.

>Replaceable.

What do you mean by this? If I buy one I should replace the screen?

>Fortunately both of those issues can be greatly improved with mods.

How intense are these mods? I'm pretty much a novice so I'd most likely be using it as-is.

>> No.3028471

>>3028452
Keith Apicary tried a 32X on his Nomad and it made a high-pitched sound and a white screen.

>> No.3028482

>>3028458

Would you mind telling me more about your experience? Some things about the system I should know perhaps. Also pics if you have em(if not, don't sweat it).

Also I was wondering what are some good games to jump start my genesis collection? I'm thinking stuff that's fun but common and cheap if possible. Also gems to keep an eye out for.

>> No.3028483

>>3028467
I dunno, I'm in the same mod boat myself.

I'm typically playing Genny at home (especially now that I got a CD and 32X) so I'm not all that worried about another genny for a long while anyway.

>> No.3028493

>>3028482
a few off the top of my head that I like:

Toejam & Earl (especially with a friend)
Comix Zone
Jurassic Park
Castlevania Bloodlines

>> No.3028520

>>3028439
On one hand I really wanna play Hard Corps while taking a dookie but on the other they're pretty expensive.

>> No.3028527
File: 88 KB, 530x800, 64XNomad2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3028471
>Keith Apicary tried a 32X on his Nomad and it made a high-pitched sound and a white screen.

You need two of them if you want them to work.

>> No.3028536

>>3028439

Just emulate Genesis games on a PSP if you need to play them in a portable manner.

I've owned a Nomad and it's a cool piece of collector's history or whatever but from a pure gaming standpoint it's a pain in the ass. You either have to track down an ancient battery pack that is dead and will need its cells replaced, or lug around an MK-2103 power adapter from an actual Genesis (meaning you need to be within two feet of a power outlet to use it), plus you have to lug around cartridges.

Add that to the fact that the screen is a 90s era LCD (complete with heavy blurring during fast motion) and it's not worth it for a portable system when for half the price you could snag a PSP 3K or Go and have every Genesis game ever on one system (also Genesis emulation is practically flawless now so you're getting the exact same experience).

Literally the only downside to emulating Genesis games on the PSP is the button layout (diamond plus shoulders instead of true 3x2 arcade style).

As a portable Genesis system it's not bad though. Even has a controller port on the bottom so you can play two player games. Whoever is player one has to sit pretty close to the TV though.

>> No.3028538

>>3028527
Of course, you could never play a 32X game on a nomad itself because there's no video in.

>> No.3028576
File: 282 KB, 558x800, 1445915343983.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3028482
>Also I was wondering what are some good games to jump start my genesis collection? I'm thinking stuff that's fun but common and cheap if possible.
Comix Zone
The Sonics
Vectorman
Golden Axe 1 and 2
Streets of Rage 1 and 2
Super Hang-On
The Shinobi games (including Shadow Dancer)
Wonder Boy in Monster World

>Also gems to keep an eye out for.
Ristar can be kind of expensive, but you can also find it for a reasonable price if you know where to look, and I personally like it better than the Sonic games.

Chiki Chiki Boys is a nearly unknown Capcom arcade platformed and I love it. Super colorful, great soundtrack.

>> No.3028649

>>3028457
Virtual Racing works just fine in my Nomad.

>> No.3030264

>>3028576
Cool, thanks a lot. I'm trying to diversify my collection so I want to try a bunch of genres. I have a bunch of 2d platformer action games already. I have Dynamite Headdy, Rocket Knight, Ronald Mcdonald Treasureland.

For beat em ups I have Ninja Turtles so I definitely need to get SoR. I used to have a 6pak cart, is that thing still around/inexpensive?

I'll definitely look out for super hang-on. any other racing games that are sorta unique?

As for sports games, is there anything thats sorta different than the standard sports games? and if not what are the standouts for general sports games(mainly baseball)?

Are there any good shumps that are cheap? I hear there are a lot on the genesis but the prices are high.

Lastly, what are some showcase games for the genesis? Stuff that really takes advantage of the hardware and isnt on any of the genesis collections

Sorry for all the questions...

>> No.3030275
File: 106 KB, 300x412, 1454519402666.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3028527
Are you FUCKING serious anon?

>> No.3030291
File: 53 KB, 208x99, Screen Shot 2016-02-28 at 4.09.35 PM.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.3030310

>>3028538
True, but if you want to play 32X games on the go, you simply need to hook your 32X up to your nomad, and then connect the AV-out to your gamegear with TV tuner attached. It's that easy

>> No.3030341

>>3030310
Please /vr/, I know at least one of you has all of this shit.
I need to see a picture of this.

>> No.3031190

>>3028536
>track down an ancient battery pack that is dead and will need its cells replaced
You talking about the NiCd one?
Just put Eneloops in the AA battery box..

>> No.3032495
File: 275 KB, 1000x750, DSCF7593.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3028439
Nomad owner here. Back when it was new it was pretty amazing, but these days it's really more of a novelty. Battery life is so bad it's almost pointless to actually use it portable and it's not the most comfortable hand held out there. I almost never use it anymore over a PSP which is a much more convenient portable Genesis player. But if it's something you've wanted for a long time then I say go for it.

Also I can confirm that Virtua Racing works fine on one.

Some of my top Genesis games I'll recommend are

Ecco the Dolphin 1 & 2
Ranger X
Jurassic Park and Rampage Edition
Earthworm Jim 1 & 2
Phantasy Zone 1 & 2
Phantasy Star 2 - 4 (most dislike 3 though)
Beyond Oasis
Budokkan
Herzog Zwei
Space Harrier 1 & 2
Gaiares
Shining Force 1 & 2

There's lots more but that's a good list to start.

>> No.3032795

>>3028439
>I've always wanted one as a kid
This is literally the best reason to buy /vr/ gear

>> No.3032981

>>3028649
>>3028649

really? thought I read tht it didn't work

can you post a pic?

>> No.3032998

>>3032981
It'll just annihilate your battery, more likely.

>> No.3033253

>>3032495

Yeah, I decided to just fucking do it. I've dreamed of having that thing since I was 8 and I'm sure I'll enjoy the heck out of it. I'm a real sucker for handhelds.

Ranger X looks really badass, just saw some gameplay. Immediately added to my list!

I'm checking out the others too, thanks for the advice. As a kid I had to make the choice between the SNES and Genesis and I went with Nintendo so I'm excited to finally explore the Genesis library after all these years.

>> No.3033431

>>3030264
>Are there any good shumps that are cheap? I hear there are a lot on the genesis but the prices are high.
Thunder Force 3 and Thunder Force 4 / Lightening Force are two top-tier shmups that won't cost you an arm and a leg. Also look into Arrow Flash, Phelios and Burning Force.

>> No.3034227

>>3033253
Well then I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I love the Genesis way more than Super Nintendo. I had both, and like games on both obviously SNES has some amazing ones. But over the years I only accumulated maybe a dozen SNES games and over a hundred Genesis ones. Something about the games on that system really do it for me.

Ranger X is a fucking blast. Great music too.