[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 17 KB, 200x251, GTA.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3005892 No.3005892 [Reply] [Original]

Classic Grand Theft Auto thread? I've been playing 1 and 2 on the PlayStation and have been loving them. It's a lot of fun to start police chases and just drive like an asshole. While the later games like Vice City and San Andreas are fun, they lack a certain charm the older ones have. Anyways, let's have a thread about about grand theft auto 1, 2, and the London 1969/1961 mission packs.

>> No.3005981

I don't actually like the older GTAs that much. There's a huge time investment in to getting good at them, and running up the score was never something I ever appreciated in games. GTA London gets a pass though. GTA2 on the Playstation is better than the Dreamcast version, which maintains a lot of the difficulty of the PC version.

Kind of wish I'd played them back when they were released and I had time to learn the cities and get decent at them. Now the best I can say is I retro-toured them and beat them.

>> No.3006181

I couldn't stomach GTA1 and London's graphics but 2 was just right. It's still one of my favorites in series, the other being 3.

I thought I was pretty slick at the game til I took on the hillbilly Elvis impersonator's mission - you know the one. Having to deliver a tank through streets lined with army roadblocks.. I can't remember how I finished it, I think I took the tank through the overpass in Zaibatsu territory. None of the missions in the Residential District gave me that much trouble.

The Industrial District is all business all the time, 2 is definitely the hardest GTA I've played.

>> No.3006193
File: 65 KB, 620x465, dta.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I don't like how the cars handle so in trail in GTA 2, I loved to perform stunts like doing a 360º and imediatelly start running in reverse gear, it's impossible in 2 though. Also the script in the second game is silly in a bad way, I liked how you could fuck up in a mission and cannot retry it again in the original game.

>> No.3006414

>>3005892
originals are insane. I thought they were fun back in 98 but very difficult. today they are impossible to play without frustration.

what's the point of driving fast & reckless if you hit obstacles every ten feet? some mission are difficult to pass without knowing the map, and the map is confusing. e.g. the mission to save dog.

I also didn't like the arcade part with points and no-save system, although I like the arcade carnage style.

gta III was real breakthrough.

>> No.3007215

I love GTA 1. Never got into GTA 2 because of its fictional city. GTA 3 is when the whole series went down the drain. It's two independent types of games, and unfortunately the people that enjoy 3 hate the actual series because it's too demanding, as seen in this thread. Especially the inability of anons to navigate the city without an ingame map, and the want to have everything spoonfed to them ingame is so very unlike /vr/; it's like these people completely miss the concept of GTA.

>>3005981
>There's a huge time investment in to getting good at them
Just like in every other arcade game

>had time
Your choice

>>3006414
>today they are impossible to play without frustration
You're really gonna drag out the "aged badly" meme? And you do it because you can't be arsed to learn a level? Come the fuck on! There's a game that challenges your senses and all you do is whine.

>gta III was real breakthrough.
An insult to the GTA series. Sadly people loved it, and the series has been shit ever since. Gone is the map-free world and the ability to not just blow things up for shits and giggles, but to do it as good as possible. What used to be a havoc wreaker with scores is now just a lol random sandbox of bullshit

>> No.3007654
File: 1.71 MB, 2048x2048, GTA Liberty City map.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.3007657
File: 1.58 MB, 2048x2048, GTA San Andreas map.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.3007664
File: 1.96 MB, 2048x2048, GTA Vice City map.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.3007668

>>3006414

Lol wut? You could totally save in gta 2 at jesus saves. Remember, no donation, no salvation.

>> No.3007702

>>3007668
that statement was about GTA 1. GTA 2 weakened the score system as well.
Also, you couldn't save in gta2, you had to. Bit of a difference

>> No.3007712

2>London>1

>> No.3007950

>>3007215
>steal a car
>vroom vroom
>1 second later
>crash into a car in front of you because you couldn't see it will pop out from a top down perspective
>vroom vroom
>1 second later
>crash into another car
>crash into a invisible barrier
>crash into a wall
>drive into an alley
>oops a dead end
>get shot get dead
>where is the pay-n-spray? where are the pickups? all the streets look similar... is it on the other side? why is it missing?

>steal a superbike
>vrooooooooooooooooooom
>0.5 seconds later
>crash into something
>eject
>repeat

great idea, stupid execution.

gta 3 improved on everything.

>> No.3007953

>>3007950

>he don't drive the bikes over the road strips to don't get hit

Also it's possible to drive without problems if you have reflexes quick enough to avoid other cars, anon. I'll give you the truck driving, its top speed is too high for its poor handling, driving it fast almost means an explosion. Agree with GTA 3 part though, I really like the 3D iterations of this game, but the original will always be in my heart, specially the songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEi_yNAre2I

>> No.3009376

Fun fact:
Only 3 people who worked on the original GTA worked on the 5th game.

>> No.3009395

>>3009376
only? im surprised any were left over

>> No.3009507

>>3009376
Wow, that's pretty interesting. I wonder how they feel about 5th one compared to 1/2

>> No.3009564

>>3009376
2 of them were probably the Houser bros.

>> No.3009696

>>3007657
Man i loved San Andreas map back then.

>> No.3009848

>>3009696
by far the best GTA map. Everything's so distinct and varied, a real joy after Liberty City

>> No.3009963

>>3009848
Liberty city was fucking terrible. Vice City and San Andreas were both much easier to navigate while Liberty City had that messed up bridge and the pointer being much less helpful because it wasn't obvious which island it was trying to point you to.

>> No.3009975

>>3009963
See, this is why the PS2 GTAs were great. The maps were small (but big at the time) and were creative enough to be navigated by memory. Once they went to the HD era, you had to use GPS to get around and were too big to be memorized.

>> No.3010102

>>3009963
Vice City was hell to navigate for me, because everything looked the same. San Andreas was a bliss, with all the distinct sections. Liberty City was alright, because the wide connectors made everything "around the corner". You had to pay attention to the name of the destination though, I give you that. The pointer alone was misleading.

>> No.3010107

>>3009975
>you had to use GPS
No, you used it, because it was given to you. The in-game map with your location and the minimap were terrible design decisions.
The 3D games have easier than ever maps, because they don't rely on this cube grid and have tons of landmarks. People don't get a feeling for the location, because there's no need to. The big fat arrow on the tiny mini map is all they watch. Might as well drop the whole 3D viewport. The minimap is one of the many many reasons why the GTA 3+ series is an insult to GTA.

>> No.3010156

>>3006414
I played through GTA1 recently with savestates in dosbox, makes a world of difference being able to go at your own pace.

>>3007950
True, sometimes the medium speed cars are faster than the supercars because you have time to react.

>> No.3010158

>>3010156
>makes a world of difference
So you didn't play throuh GTA 1, just a game loosely based on it

>sometimes the medium speed cars are faster than the supercars because you have time to react
You don't need to floor it

>> No.3010174

>>3010158
>So you didn't play throuh GTA 1, just a game loosely based on it

I did play through it many years ago, barely finished the last map by flamethrowing combos of cops to reach the score limit. but i failed most of the jobs so i missed alot of content.
I played it again recently with save states so basically i could see what i had missed.

>You don't need to floor it

i suppose thats true,however some cars are just too fast and twitchy they are uncomfortable to use

>> No.3010175
File: 1.69 MB, 2048x2048, 1455859202437.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3010107
>The minimap is one of the many many reasons why the GTA 3+ series is an insult to GTA.

minimap is a QOL timesaver

original GTAs were nightmare to navigate

>> No.3010179

>>3010175
although I actually mean 3D environment... GTA3 minimap is useless, you still had to learn which road goes where which was good, makes you familiar with the city and more immersed in game.

>> No.3010180

>>3010175
you call it QOL, I call it POS. It detracts from the game. Your picture is grossly misleading, as your "game screen" doesn't exist in a vacuum. You got there to begin with, passed landmarks or routes you knew. Memory navigation is entirely different from minimap navigation

>> No.3010570

>>3010180
>Memory navigation is entirely different from minimap navigation
Fuck yeah I know what the hell you're talking about there. I don't necessarily agree with anything else you said tho.

Also this used to be cool as hell
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5j1qvZRFRk
And I think it really still stands as a great little introductory teaser to get players into the mood. And that's pretty important actually because even back then these games' camera perspective did make it pretty rough to get into the spirit of the game and such.

>> No.3010581

>I'm the monkey, and you're the cheese grater.

>> No.3010617

>>3010107

I think you're overreacting a little about the minimaps, if you really have played the 3D games you'd know after a while you'll probably forget to look at the maps as you're already used to the locations, I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who played it and even returning after some years still can remember what direction should be taken. Specially with 3 and VC which have considerably smaller maps than other games, but if you're talking about the last 2 games in the series so disregard my faggotry as I still haven't tried it.

>> No.3010637

>>3010617
the statement's meant more general, beyond GTA even. Take any sandbox or "open world" game, any genre. If it has a minimap, the problem instantly shows up, you rely on the arrow instead of the world. I understand what you say about remembering the directions taken, and agree, but the process of learning is much more slowed down. There's always the friendly arrow to bring you back on track, literally. Without a map it's sink and swim. Learn to read the streets and recognize the landmarks, or you won't even get a good start, and will be completely lost after the first mission or two.

>> No.3010641

>>3010102
>Vice City was hell to navigate for me, because everything looked the same.

I'll give you that, but its still easier than Liberty City for me because you can hit one of the main streets until the pointer points exactly N/S/E/W and then hop on to a cross street. Not that Liberty City doesn't get manageable once you figure out the main roadways, I suppose.

>> No.3010654

GTA is an arcade game, a fairly pure one. You don't explore a world and play a story so much as you step in, wreck as much shit as you can before your lifes are up, and put your name on the scoreboard. Learning the map is a huge part of it, just like learning the moves in a fighting game. It takes much practice, many replays, but over time you develop that mental map, recognize major connection roads, will get a "sense" where on the map you are for any mission, and how to move efficiently from one place to another. Again, there's a similarity to fighting games. You can follow the yellow arrow, and it's the equivalent of button mashing. Or you can follow the written instructions (go to XY), and it's the equivalent of performing combos.

That's why that one anon up there were cheating themselves with save states. The missions in the game are not necessarily hard, at least not in the earlier cities. What's hard is stringing the successes together, not only beating one mission, but living to tell, and beating another, and another, and another, without interruption, without retries. The game has a multiplier for these combos because they're precisely that, traditional arcade combos.

It's one of the many reasons why I'm so angry at GTA 3+, and even to some degree 2. They took away this arcade approach, and went for something story focused, something narrated. That's a fair game, and the GTA 3+ games are probably a lot of fun to people. They're a bad insult to GTA though. Suddently your character matters, has a story, the game tries to make you play through a narrative to see the credits. Gone is the motivation to do carnage. In GTA it was to get a high score. In GTA 3+ it was for shits and giggles.

>> No.3010663

>>3010641
I think a "problem" of Vice City is simply that it comes after San Andreas. Liberty City is tutorial town. It has its difficulties, but you can eventually manage and move on. Then San Andreas becomes the main stage. The city's so gorgeous and varied, and takes some serious time to beat. And when you do, you're fairly familiar with it, its distinct regions, its variety. Then the game gives you the finger and throws you back into a street maze where everything's the same, and on top of that, gives you the hardest missions, that often fail due to bad luck. That makes it difficult to appreciate the city. As neat as it is, compared to San Andreas it can't help but be a bit of a turd, and compared to Liberty City it feels almost unfairly hard, as the missions do not help you to learn the city, they require you to know it.

>> No.3010670

>>3010179
The thing that gets me is that the minimap in 3 is shit for providing context, and there aren't really any missions or activities that are about just exploring and getting a lay of the land.

>>3010637
I'd argue GPS's in modern games are far more helpful in that regard in as much as they actually teach you about the main causeways and roads that take you to the area you need to go. It might also just be better city planning. Or maybe that actual directions don't leave you frustrated because you missed the ONE turn off to the area you need to go.

>> No.3010681

>>3010670
>GPS's in modern games are far more helpful in that regard in as much as they actually teach you about the main causeways and roads that take you to the area you need to go
It really doesn't. It teaches you to follow the arrow or the colored markings on the road and disregard everything else on the view. Also in-game GPSes usually tend to not go for these connectors but instead the shortest straight route. So you learn very little how the locations are connected.

>because you missed the ONE turn off to the area you need to go
You miss that one turn because the in-game visuals don't provide the clues, which the map developer is to blame for. Why don't you miss that one turn in reality? Because street signs work. Same in-game.

>> No.3010709

>>3010654
That's one thing I really did like about the older games. They were more arcade-y, score-based games not unlike Pac-man in that way.

>> No.3010748

>>3005892
I loved them growing up. but now the controls are a chore to play with. If they had a patch to implement new controls like Hotline Miami, I'd play them again.

>> No.3010750

>>3010681
>It teaches you to follow the arrow or the colored markings on the road and disregard everything else on the view.

I disagree, depending on which specific game you're thinking of. Saint's Row is pretty strong in that regard in as much as there are a bunch of activities that involve just driving around, which serves as a nice chance to learn the city layout, and the GPS becomes more of a suggested route as opposed to a hard guide.

GTA1, 2, and London actually have 3 beat in the regard to me because there isn't a bunch of running around to unlock shit. You can just start the game and do whatever. Come to think of it though, the map in 3 IS pretty bad in as much that there aren't large glowing signs for the respray garages and the like, so maybe my issue is I've been spoiled by the recent stuff.

>> No.3010763

>>3007215
>GTA 3 is when the whole series went down the drain.

Are you trolling or just a contrarian?

>> No.3010769

>>3010763
Well it is where the series moved from one style of game to another, so its not like someone would be out of line for liking the old school and disliking the new school, especially given how the divergence falls neatly on the retro/not-retro line.

>> No.3010772

>>3010750
>there are a bunch of activities that involve just driving around
Not what I mean. Imagine, if you will, GTA San Andreas, and you're tasked with going to a specific village. Could you do it? Could you, coming from Grove street, follow the street signs to reach the major arteries, follow the road signs towards the right county, and browse around until you see the town limits of the town you're looking for? That's what I'm talking about, using in-game means to navigate. "just driving around" is worthless in that regard, as it just means no navigation at all. There's an implied choice of "follow the arrow" and "go wherever you want". The third option is "go to X, and do so without the game giving you meta info, like your current location and the destination marked on a map.
In GTA is not ideal, of course. The simplistic world model makes it difficult to produce landmarks or distinct locations. The solution is simply movement. The player needs to drive down a few roads to recognize where on the map they are, and they must maintain a context of where they've been, or they'll spend time with the paper map to try to match their current location. But it is possible. As a GTA player you very quickly learn to recognize few key locations, put them on your mental city map, and even more important, you learn the major connector roads. They're the ones that bring you from landmark to landmark. Everything else happens "on the way". For example, it's fairly useless to remember the specific paintjob locations. You are unlikely to ever encounter them by chance. What's much more important is to remember the way from a nearby major hub to the paint job. Because when you're in trouble, your best option is to find a main road, go to the closest hub, then go for the paint job.

>GPS becomes more of a suggested route as opposed to a hard guide
That's, in theory, almost always the case. It's so much easier to follow the arrow though, and to some degree the devs expect it.

>> No.3010775

>>3010763
It's my genuine opinion. >>3010769 gets it, I have nothing more to add to their comment

>> No.3010952

>>3009564
Housers are Rockstar, so they've only been on board for the non-retro (3 onward). The first two games were DMA Design, which became North.

I thought it'd be interesting to point out how high the turnover is in studios because much like football teams, people often reference past accomplishments of a studio like it's a static entity.

>> No.3010958

>>3010158
>So you didn't play throuh GTA 1, just a game loosely based on it
>You're not playing the game the way I want and the developers intended so you didn't play it at all

>You don't need to floor it
>What is digital input

>> No.3010960

>>3010958
>You're not playing the game the way the developers intended so you didn't play it at all
correct

>What is digital input
something you can tap repeatedly, instead of constantly mashing it down. Lots of old game engines account for this behavior, by emulating analog input. That is, the internal input gradually ramps up over a (very short) period of time, and quickly tapping an input will not reach the internal maximum.

>> No.3010965

>>3010960
>>You're not playing the game the way the developers intended so you didn't play it at all
>correct

I'm not sure how you think such a gross generalization proves what you think it does - care to elaborate how a game ceases to be a game if players aren't playing it "as intended?"

>> No.3010971

>>3010965
>how a game ceases to be a game
Not what I said. I said it turns into a different game, loosely based on the game. I explained it in more detail in >>3010654

>> No.3010979

>>3010971
>Not what I said.
No, that's what the other guy said. And you agreed.

Cheating at a game doesn't alter the fundamental fact that you're playing said game. You aren't playing a new, separate game like you're (hopefully unintentionally) implying.

>> No.3010980

Liberty City was okay with its target score, but I don't have time running around 5-6 hours in a row to beat Vice City goal of $5000000. There should've been a save system as in GTA2.

>> No.3011003

>>3010979
>that's what the other guy said
No, they said
>so you didn't play it at all
notice the "it" in there. It matters.

>doesn't alter the fundamental fact that you're playing said game
Yes, it very much does, as it changes the whole progression, balance, player involvement, everything.

>You aren't playing a new, separate game like you're (hopefully unintentionally) implying
Nope, fully intentional.
Review my GTA related explanation, if you must. Without savestates the key to GTA is to string together successful missions. Sometimes that means a shitload of luck, sometimes that means being careful. When you get closer to the target score it means a lot of stress, which affects how the later missions are played (nervous button mis-pressing, tension).
With save states it's individual missions. However, these missions were never written to be played individually. They're designed to be part of a progression, that raises the stakes for the player with each success. No stakes with a savestate. If you fail a mission, you restore the savestate and try again, which goes against a core rule of the game.
Hence, the entire emotional involvement, and approach to dealing with the missions is so fundamentally changed by savestates, it becomes a different game altogether. All it shares with the original is the code.

>> No.3011107

>>3007664
>>3007657
>>3007654
I like these maps but could someone please tell me more about them? I take it they're not actually from top-down GTAs, and instead they are simply maps of 3D GTAs... recreated to look like top-down GTAs? I'm confused, sorry.

>> No.3011113

>>3011107
These are the original GTA 1 maps. However, they are taken using a level editor, so they show the street and roof textures.

>> No.3011132

>>3011113
Occam's razor I should have known

>> No.3011148

>>3006193
is that a playable version of the first game in 3d?

>> No.3011150
File: 220 KB, 1024x640, lc.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3011132
>>3011148
good moment to remind people that the original top down gta had 3d models

>> No.3011170

Does the PS version of GTA 1 have anything to offer over the freeware Windows version?

>> No.3011192

More music than you can possibly imagine

MUCH

MORE

MUSIC
Funk...FM

>> No.3011221

>>3011148

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohRpPbBrowo

>> No.3011230

>>3011148
look at the map of Liberty City at >>3007654 and you see there are no twin towers on the map. GTA has a fairly limited depth, you can't really build skyscrapers with it

>> No.3011246

>>3011170
No, in fact the PS1 version lacks things the PC version has, like trains.

>> No.3011261
File: 3 KB, 192x160, me.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3011246
I like trains

>> No.3011298

>>3011150
id totally play a doomclone with this map

>> No.3011334

Meh GTA1 is a poor arcade game that goes on for too long. I'd rather just play FixEight if I wanted a good top down shooter.

>> No.3011336

>>3011334
Killer soundtrack though, still one of my favorites to this day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6t9bEeeIFc&index=4&list=PLB6D6B8FBD2431CBA

>> No.3011347

>>3011336
Outta the way yankee boy, GOAT station coming through!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEi_yNAre2I

>> No.3011351

>>3011347
NOICE.

>> No.3011403

>>3010952
Housers wasn't involved with GTA London 1969?
Because that game it's influenced by Get Carter, and i always thought it was because the Housers.

>> No.3011408

>>3011403
I just looked in Wikipedia, they were involved since the first GTA.

>> No.3011415

>>3011408
>I just edited Wikipedia so it says

>> No.3011638
File: 149 KB, 358x263, gangsta.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3005892
GTA1&2 are indeed great games. Lol at the casual '90s born retards crying at the difficulty. How big is your participation trophy cupboard faggots?

>> No.3011643

>>3011192
men folk found their women hairy, 'cause they were so big n hairy

>> No.3011652

>>3010107
>The big fat arrow on the tiny mini map is all they watch.
That's like saying the big fat arrows on the game screen were all anyone watched in the first 2 games.

Personally I'll take the mini map over an arrow floating around my car, but each to their own.

>> No.3011661

>>3011638
It's not so much hard as it is FUCKING BORING every mission plays the exact same, steal a mission car, drive from point a to point b while avoiding police, rinse and repeat. Whenever they try to pull something different out it's some horrible concept like an escort or timed mission.

>> No.3011662

>>3011652
>Personally I'll take the easy and shallow way out over actual involvement in the game, but each to their own.

>> No.3011665

I'm all for defending old design but saying 3D ruined GTA is some pretentious hipster shit in the same level as saying SotN ruined Castlevania.

>> No.3011673

>>3011661
thats what the new games are like too

>> No.3011674

>>3011662
>follow an arrow
>actual involvement

You're kidding, right? Or are you really this blinded by nostalgia?

I mean the arrow literally floats around your car pointing in the direction you need to go, gameplay doesn't get much easier and shallower than that.

>> No.3011675

>>3011665
fortunately nobody is making that claim

>> No.3011695

I too really appreciated the arcade nature of these games. One thing I really loved about them was the announcer commenting on everything like it's a game show. When the first game started off you'd hear a crowd cheering and the announcer declare "Grrrrr-and Theft Auto!" like it's a game show. That was such a sweet fucking touch, as were the kill frenzies. I loved the announcer in 2 as well, like when you'd get pickups he'd shout "Health!", "Machine gun!" etc. The laugh was great, too.

I'm okay with the direction they took the series but I would have really liked if they had some kinda arcade mode that made killing people etc points based so you could try to rack up a high score. I know there's a money system but it's not the same. They should have made a DLC or something for the 3D games where you'd get points for shooting the city up. Maybe you'd get so many points for explosions, multipliers for combo kills, etc. None of this would sit very well with politicians though I guess.

>> No.3012195
File: 53 KB, 600x450, Selfystickincluded.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3011261

>> No.3012285

>>3010775
So basically, you just don't like it because it's not retro anymore.

>> No.3013649

>>3011665
SOTN didn't ruin castlevania

>> No.3013891

>>3011695
Well the 3D games had rampages, plus Liberty City Stories had Smash TV.

>> No.3013990

TO BE QUITE HONEST FAMILY:

1. GTA VICE CITY
2. GTA V
3. GTA = GTA2
5. GTA SAN ANDREAS
6. GTA 3
<<<POWER GAP>>>
7. GTA IV

>> No.3014245
File: 2.99 MB, 320x240, san andreas (1).webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.3014249
File: 2.90 MB, 320x240, san andreas (2).webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.3014252
File: 2.92 MB, 320x240, san andreas (3).webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.3014272

>>3013990

>in my opinion

Fixed.

>> No.3014296

>>3014245
>>3014249
>>3014252
These are sweet. Too bad the faggots itt crying about the game can't play it like this. I hate faggots that mistake difficulty (and their own lack of ability) for bad game design. It happens far too often here and on /v/.

>>3014272
>implying cold hard objective fact is opinion

>> No.3014309

What's your opinion on Chinatown Wars?

>> No.3014320

>>3014309
played it very briefly on my friend's psp. it actually seemed really cool.

>> No.3014339

>>3014309
Not retro, but here's a quick review:
The driving is a little too fast for its own good.
The combat can get hectic with the haphazard target swapping.
Drug Dealing can be a blessing or a curse, depending on how much you enjoy that kind of minigame.
That said the game as a whole is pretty enjoyable, on the DS or the PSP.
Personally I prefer the DS version with the touch controls (It makes menu navigation much quicker and comfortable) and non-existent loading times.
The PSP version does have a FEW extra missions and some would say better graphics but everything just feels floatier there in my opinion.

>> No.3015627
File: 2.65 MB, 640x360, 1 Pursuit &amp; escape.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>gta thread
>no one posted the web movie

fixing this error

>> No.3015639

>>3015627
>no one posted the web movie
someone did, though they were being a fucking asshole about it

>> No.3015645
File: 2.65 MB, 640x380, 4 Meet the boss.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3015639
Whoah cool down hothead

>> No.3017341

>>3014309
It's pretty nice. I don't think there was a bad gta other than grand theft auto advance

>> No.3018009

>>3011221
>Duke Theft Auto is mod for Eduke32 based on the classic top down game Grand Theft Auto.

>DOWNLOAD Duke Theft Auto Beta 0.80 From Here:
http://www.moddb.com/games/duke-theft-auto

>> No.3019094

>>3010156
>I played through GTA1 recently with savestates in dosbox

Do you know of a place where I can get the DOS version of GTA1? The only one seemingly available on the internet is Rockstar's free Windows version from 2002. The problem with that one is that it runs like absolute shit on Windows 8.

>> No.3019116

>>3019094
>runs like absolute shit on Windows 8
I can not confirm that. The version has its share of problems (GTAFixer), but speed is not one of them.

>> No.3019596

>>3019094
You talking about the grand theft auto classics site where you can get gta 1, 2, and some third game free? The service sadly has been down for a few years, I wish rockstar would turn it back on.

>> No.3019617

/vr/ still needs to play that GTA2 game online.

>> No.3019624

>>3010637

> If it has a minimap, the problem instantly shows up, you rely on the arrow instead of the world.

I never felt this was a problem back in the day.. until Oblivion was released and it fucking pointed you everywhere. Since then I've seen way too much hand-holding in games.

>> No.3019629
File: 1.76 MB, 512x256, 1456086831337.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3010654

You're making all good points... until I realized the only GTA game I ever got close to finish was 2, probably because it's the one I've played the most. In all the GTA3+ games I've played, I always ended up doing a couple of missions, get bored with that type of gameplay in return to the good ol' psychopath sandbox mode.

>> No.3020214

>>3019596

Yeah. that's the one. I usually just redownload my files from Steam, though. It's the same one.

The service is down but damn near every link I've found to download it has been the windows version. I'd be better off emulating DOS at this point.

A damn shame, too. Because I was going to get into modding GTA1.

>> No.3020226

>>3005892

Heard a good podcast interview with Mike Dailly, creator of GTA 1 last week, skip about 35 mins in:

https://soundcloud.com/the-retro-hour/the-retro-hour-episode-6-mike-dailly-grand-theft-autodma-design

>> No.3020404
File: 1.18 MB, 307x244, 335533.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>played pirated versions of GTA & GTA 2
>soundtrack and videos were removed from pirated versions to reduce their size because it was the 90s and disc space was expensive
>didn't even know they had videos and music
>see gameplay of GTA 1 years later on youtube with full music and video
>mfw

>> No.3021957

>>3020214
What OS do you use? I'm sure you can emulate the DOS version and any editor tools in DOSBox

>> No.3022135

IF YOU WANT TO MAKE THEM CRY

>> No.3022206

>>3021957
Windows 8. My problem is that I can't find the DOS version.

>> No.3022223

>>3022206
fix your windows install. The free version works fine on 8.1

>> No.3022232

I never touched the original but used to play the shit out of GTA 2. Remember hating the second city because of those pain-in-the-ass redneck missions.

The third city was pretty cool though, especially the krishna missions, like the hotdog collection thing.

>> No.3022241

>>3022232
GTA2 is only one city (another reason why it sucks, compared to GTA 1)

>> No.3022432

>>3022206
You really should install the 8.1 update. Microsoft doesn't even support 8 anymore, just 8.1

>> No.3024120

>>3006193
>>3011221
Cool mod, I'll check it out soon.

>> No.3024562

>>3022241
How does that matter?
Instead of being 3 different cities, they're 3 different neighborhood each of which is bigger than any of the first GTA city and has a distinct visual style to it. The missions are all different, and, it's not like they reuse parts of the older map to recycle content.

They could have called them cities rather than neighborhoods, and you wouldn't have noticed the difference.

>> No.3024592

>>3024562
>they're 3 different neighborhood each of which is bigger than any of the first GTA city and has a distinct visual style to it
Bigger and less visual distinction within each of them, amplifying the navigation difficulties.

>They could have called them cities rather than neighborhoods, and you wouldn't have noticed the difference.
too uniform for cities

>> No.3025853
File: 29 KB, 500x512, 4042_front.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

If anyone is interested in modding GTA1:

http://projectcerbera.com/gta/

And for running GTA1 on windows 8 and beyond:

http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Grand_Theft_Auto#Low_FPS_on_Windows_8_and_later

>> No.3026173

>Jesus my savior
>My favorite flavor
>I prefer God to my kids

>> No.3026434

>they will never bring the cyberpunk-noir aesthetic of GTA2 back in the next game, forever sticking with le contemporary American lifestyle satire which was already old by IV

>> No.3026508

Just bumped into this randomly. badass playthrough

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-UnJevhWzA

>> No.3026512

>>3026434
>>they will never bring the cyberpunk-noir aesthetic of GTA2 back in the next game
maybe not next game but I honestly wouldn't put it past Rockstar to do something like that one day. Rockstar is a good dev, one of the few decent AAA developers there are today

>> No.3026524

>>3026512
>Rockstar is a good dev
comedy gold

>> No.3026528

>>3026512
AAA doesn't mean anything, mate. You could make a game for $50 and call it AAA if you wanted.

>> No.3026535

>>3026528
The term AAA is commonly used to refer to big commercial publishers or developers

>> No.3026547

>>3026535
Doesn't matter. Unless it has an objective and defined meaning, it's not to be used in a business context. It's just a slang term used by people who want to make themselves look good when in actuality it has about as much weight as the average titmouse.

>> No.3026559

>>3026547
>Doesn't matter. Unless it has an objective and defined meaning
It does, within the gaming community, and this forum

>it's not to be used in a business context
We're not in a business context

>It's just a slang term
We're in an informal forum

>it has about as much weight
It tends to communicate the purpose quite well. There's always someone trying to be technically correct though, which is mildly annoying.

>> No.3026784

Retro GTA was too hard for me to control. As far as "older" GTA goes, I think 3 is great. The city's not so big that it's a pain in the ass to get from point A to B and it was still really tongue and cheek instead of GTA's more serious story tone recently.

>> No.3026797

>>3026547
>Unless it has an objective and defined meaning, it's not to be used in a business context.

Hello, I was in the industry with Konami for several years and AAA is absolutely a term used in business, though when I was working with them it was solely an insider term and not used by consumers.

I'm going to assume your ignorance of its existence is due to you only being a consumer and unwilling to admit that the industry itself invented the term and not casual consumers.

>> No.3026897

>>3026784
For me any "new" GTA are extremly hard to control. Just every aspect of the game, shooting, driving, had shit controls. I never finished 3, Vice City or San Andreas, that stuff it's much more difficult to me than any Souls. I still like the games for the music and random fun though.

>> No.3026904
File: 113 KB, 500x508, a0utnc.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3026512
Why make GTA Next cyberpunk though ?
Rockstar can easily make other IPs with Cyberpunk Setting
Take Manhunt for example, the game was developed by the rockstar team behind body harvest ( another scifi influenced game )
I ll take a Manhunt 3 with anywhere city

>> No.3026931

>>3007950
>why can't I just hold the forward button to go from point A to point B mindlessly?

Slow down there, champ

>> No.3026940

>>3026931
>Slow down there, champ
how meta

>> No.3027830

>>3026897
I didn't think the driving was that bad, but yeah the targeting was fucking garbage. If you're firing over your left shoulder then turn to your right, you end up firing straight up in the air.

>> No.3029090

>>3027830
Maybe it was just because i suck at driving but half of missions were a living hell for that reason.
GTA IV it's even worse, sometimes you are driving in a straight line and the next second your car it's flying without reason.
I didn't have all that problems in GTA2, even being a difficult game.

>> No.3029097
File: 26 KB, 540x720, 1440364165083.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3006414
get good

>> No.3029106
File: 70 KB, 640x480, 203035-gta_london_1969[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>play GTA London for the first time
>it is somehow more atmospheric than the 3D GTAs

IDK how they did it, but it just clicked for me

>> No.3029114

>>3029106
Where? I've been trying to get ahold of that game for so long. I love 1, don't care about 2, and London seems to be closer to a map pack for 1, so it's right up my alley.

>> No.3029116

>>3029114
I got it for the PS1

>> No.3029120

>>3029116
good point, I keep forgetting that system, but with modern emus it's a good option. Thanks

>> No.3029325

is there any GTA 1 level making scene to speak of? People building quality cities that reach the quality and complexity of DMA Design's own material? Maybe even full conversions, including new artwork, sound, etc?

>> No.3030841

>>3029325
I think modding scene for 1/2 is dead, unlike the 3D games like 3 and on. But hey, you can always submit your mod on the GTA forums or whatever site would be interested and see what they think.

>> No.3031265
File: 60 KB, 803x726, nr4wnEI.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

heh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4DFcDFhhCE

>> No.3031739

Halp guys. Does anyone know how to make GTA1 freeware run in windowed mode OR where to find the DOS CD-ROM version OR if I can somehow make a franken-install with the music from the freeware version and the game data from a sans-music DOS version?

I can NOT fucking get the freeware version to display properly on my TV, and I know I could just make this shit work with DOSbox, but I can't find the DOS version with music.

>> No.3031748

>>3031739
After the first rack it's literally just a music disc, you can use the ps1 iso and it will play the cd tracks just fine. Did that make sense? tl;dr download a ps1 iso , mount that bitch on your virtual cd rom drive on dosbox and it should play music.

>> No.3032202

>>3031748
>iso
>multi-tracked
i am assuming you're using "iso" as convenience and actually mean bin/cue, mdf/mds or other multi-track supporting cd image formats

still, you could even download the audio as mp3 or wav and burn it as an audio cd or save as disc image of one of the aforementioned formats

>> No.3032519

>>3005892
Stop the violence from the policemen!

>> No.3033441

>>3029106
It's not more atmospheric if you ask me. But it is by far the best designed 2D GTA game.

>>3029114
http://gtaforums.com/topic/842516-game-available-for-a-64-system/

Scroll down.

>> No.3033467

>>3033441
thanks, I found that version a couple days ago and tried it. Runs well and looks pretty, but 1969 crashed on my first mission attempt due to a missing text entry for a mission failure. Not sure though if that's the problem of 1969, or if this pack is bad.

>> No.3034368
File: 243 KB, 768x768, ebba - T.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

So I got GTA 2 working on my work's computer and it's a ton of fun just like I remember but I can't really enjoy it when I'm supposed to be working.

What's the differences between the PC version and the PS1 version? I love GTA 2 thanks to it's kind of unique atmosphere, at least when the game is set to dusk.

>> No.3034473
File: 269 KB, 1024x768, GTA2_PC_screenshot.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3034368
PC version has non-wobbly bilinear filtered high resolution rendered polygons, transparency and colored lighting

>> No.3034657

>>3034368
>at least when the game is set to dusk.
Dreamcast version is the PC version with it permanently set to dusk