[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 40 KB, 439x445, tmp_5740-84829339619151919-887159715.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2890160 No.2890160 [Reply] [Original]

My New Years Resolution is to play more PSX games this year, so I'm looking for recommendations.

I've finished SotN and I generally love Metroidvanias, were there any SotN clones made later in the PS1 lifetime?

I like the idea of TRPGs like Vandal Hearts and Front Mission. I've tried to start these several times but lose interest. Is there like a "more casual" TRPG?

I hate JRPGs but I will try FF7.

I've played so much Gran Turismo I think I could skip those for now.

What are your favorites? What are some hidden gems? What are games not to waste my time on?

>> No.2890224

tony hawk pro skater
wipeout
metal gear solid
einhander
ridge racer r4
silent hill 1+2

>> No.2890235

>>2890160
>What are your favorites? What are some hidden gems?
Wipeout trilogy, Rage racer, Ridge racer 4, einhander, Gradius Gaiden, Castlevania chronicles, ace combat 3 and raiden dx to name a few.

>> No.2890265

>>2890160

Action/Survival:
• Metal Gear Solid
• Resident Evil 1&2
• Dino Crisis
• Mega Man Legends
• Driver 2 was pretty good
• Fighting Force

Skip FF7, if you hate JRPGs

If you want a JRPG that sort of plays differently.
• Tactics Ogre (strategy/JRPG)

Not to mention if you liked SoTN, if that's any help, Konami did this game too.

>> No.2890317

>>2890160

Bloody Roar 2 is a fun beat em up if you want a casual game.

Bust a Move 2 is a good puzzle game.

Gundam Battle Assualt because it has some interested graphics, you will understand when you see it. If you liked the SNES version this one is very similar.

Tenchu Stealtj Assissins if probably my fav Psx game. The controls are bad but the atmosphere is what does the whole game. If you find the debug mode code you can also have some fun with it after you finish the game, as that give you access to all weapons that enemy are using, like shootguns etc.

>> No.2890341
File: 204 KB, 404x416, 1388770179966.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2890160
Aw shit this pic brings back memories.
I've had PSX since day one and my best friend who comes from a very poor family always envied me. During christmas his dad bought him this bootleg garbage all happy and proud and shit because he thought it was the real one. I felt so bad for him since he lied to his dad that he was so happy with the gift because he didnt want to make him sad, so I lend him mine for like a month or two.

Going back to the thread play Medievil(the first one, Medievil2 is garbage), Spyro and Crash Bandicoot.

>> No.2890343

>>2890160
>I hate JRPGs
we have nothing to talk about

>> No.2890349

>>2890160
I got a Vita for Christmas so me too, OP. I'm currently playing Mega Man Legends for the first time. Will be monitoring this thread.

>> No.2890352

>>2890343
Nah, there's plenty of other good stuff available.

>> No.2890502

>>2890160
>>2890341

ah yes the infamous PolyStation in the pic... There are other ones that also look like an xbox or a laptop lol

>> No.2890505

or this one which comes with a ping-pong paddle(??!!)

http://www.amazon.com/dreamGEAR-Station-Controllers-Wireless-machine-specific/dp/B00B2JGEVW

>> No.2891163

Thanks for the suggestions all. There's a few here I hadn't considered or know much about. I've got a good start!

>> No.2891475

Currently playing Tomba for the first time, having a blast.

>> No.2891486

Try the Tomba series, OP.

>> No.2891689

>>2890160
my top 5 PS1 games in no order are:
>Omega Boost
badass mech shooter, almost on rails, but there are only like 2 actual rail movement stages
bit easy early on, but once it kicks in, it's nuts
PLAY THIS.

>Ridge Racer Revolution
this one's more personal preference, Rage has the coolest track design (but worse handling) and R4 has more tracks and much nicer graphics (something's offputting about the game to me, it hasn't clicked).
the handling is ace, very dynamic and arcade-like while still having a sort of "realistic" feeling drift, where you have to work a bit to drift well or center your car back properly

>Ace Combat 2
It's Ace Combat, enough said.
it's not a sim at all, planes have an obnoxious amount of missiles, etc
Plug in a DualShock, enable advanced control, turn on the analog, enjoy.

>Tales of Destiny
it's a JRPG, but the battle system is much more like a beat-em-up
story's pretty charming, characters are very likable
there's like one or two places where translation issues will REQUIRE you to go look something up for a puzzle though, and the very beginning has some issues
it's kind of long

>Ape Escape
it's a bit easy, but it's a fun 3D platformer with decent stage design and an excellent soundtrack
requires a DualShock, full stop
control is pretty decent, camera is okayish
don't play the PSP port, the control is gimped as fuck, and aiming the slingshot is impossible because you can't lead your shots anymore for no damn reason

other PS1 games of note that I like
>Sanvein (time-attack arena shoot-em-up, love this game)
>Silent Bomber (go play this RIGHT NOW)
>Wipeout XL, Wipeout 3 (I'm no good at it though)
>Ace Combat 3 (US version is gimped but it's still a good game, people give it shit because Namco advertised this big story and we never got all of that)
>Klonoa (cute, fun little side-scrolling platformer that uses the third dimension pretty liberally)

>> No.2892875

bumping with suggestions:

Return Fire
Alundra series
Chrono Cross
Tail of the Sun
Aquanaut's Holiday

>> No.2894140

>>2892875
Definitely play Alundra if you're into Zelda games. The environments aren't much to talk about, but the graphics and controls are great. Also the puzzles and weapons are fun as hell.

>> No.2894213

I've got an interesting one for Picross fans out there. Jupiter, the team that released a ton of Picross games for Nintendo platforms also released a Picross game on the Playstation called NuPa. It was released between Mario's Super Picross and Picross 2 in 1996. It's an interesting gem for sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEQ6sjbgBIU

>> No.2894556

On a similar note, what are some recs that work well on PSP? I've tried a few games but they always end up being huge pains in the dick with the limited buttons.

>> No.2894607

>>2894556
I finished Castlevania Symphony of the Night on PSP. It was a pleasure, probably better than with an actual PlayStation controller.

Anything which requires analog or regular use of both sets of shoulder buttons sucks on the PSP. You can get away with occasional use of R2/L2 using the PSP's analog stick. Using it as an actual analog controller is crap.

>> No.2894608

>>2890160
>I hate JRPGs

Because you're a rational human being. JRPGs are actively working against the player, doing everything they can to make your experience as joy-less, repetitive, and laborious as possible.

>> No.2894906

>>2890317
>Bloody Roar
>Beat em up

>> No.2894919

use the catalog nigga

>>2890524