[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 222 KB, 256x431, Sonic_X-treme_Coverart.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2885931 No.2885931 [Reply] [Original]

Is this shit ever going to be polished up and released? I had heard they were trying to get it finally pushed out.

>> No.2885960

>>2885931
It's been polished up and released since fuckin February you dipshit.

>> No.2886430 [DELETED] 

autism level series on a shit tier system

>> No.2886445
File: 210 KB, 256x432, Bug!_Coverart.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

It's been polished and released already.

>> No.2886570

Basically never, not the way you're thinking anyway. The level files and engine that leaked earlier this year were a fucking mess, not near anything worth playing. There's a guy working on a playable reinterpretation of it in an all-new modern engine that looks fantastic. You can check out the difference in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QE9R0m0lSLg

>> No.2886585

when we finally get a hold of beta releases it makes you wonder why you even wanted it in the first place

>> No.2886621

>>2886585
For this game in particular, we all wanted to play it so badly as a kid. We had this vision of SEGA holding back this finished game just behind a locked door. Then you get behind the door and realize there's a good reason it got cancelled. X-Treme never stood a chance.

>> No.2886771

http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=34038&st=0

You probably want the V037 version as it has the most to fuck about with, though the V040 version is worth a look too as it was basically in the middle of being completely rebuilt with the fish-eye effect. This game is a fucking goddamn mess, don't expect a Star Fox 2 situation here, not only did it actually not make it that far in development but the builds we do have are just early level tests and the like. If somebody can salvage a full game out of it I will be amazed.

>> No.2886779

>>2886570
>There's a guy working on a playable reinterpretation of it in an all-new modern engine that looks fantastic.

That looks like horse shit.

>> No.2886810

>>2886779
u wot m8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iImBtvXtXrk

If you can't see the level design potential this engine opens up, you're fucking blind.

>> No.2886826

>>2886810
Looks very, very surreal. It would either have turned out to be a masterpiece or a disaster.

>> No.2886840

>>2886826
Remember, this is a modern reproduction engine that goes way beyond what the original X-Treme engine could do, including actually playing like a Sonic game. The original devs from back in the 90s could barely wrap their heads around this crazy fisheye thing they wrre going for, especially with the lack of clear direction and constraining technology they had at the time. X-Treme was way too ambitious for what they had to work with. If Naka wasn't such a cunt and let them work off the NiGHTS engine, things might've turned out differently.

>> No.2886863 [DELETED] 

autist tier game on a shit tier console

>> No.2886872

>>2886840

The game would have self-destructed even if they did get the NiGHTS engine, I bet. They not only had the pressure of trying to compete with Super Mario 64 but also the then-very-solid track record of previous Sonic games. They were ambitious as hell but nothing I've read suggests SEGA Technical Institute were actually competent as developers, they shat out Sonic Spinball after all.

>> No.2886878

>>2886863

Go away.

>> No.2887014 [DELETED] 

autist level series for a shit tier system

>> No.2887024

>>2886872
>The game would have self-destructed even if they did get the NiGHTS engine, I bet
30fps Sonic is shit-tier Sonic, so yes.

>> No.2887204

>>2886863
lol, you're a fucking faggot dude

>> No.2887738

The only reason why any of us cared about this game was because after seeing SM64 we all thought Sonic in 3D would blow our fucking minds.

we all know how that story ended, though.

>> No.2887750
File: 109 KB, 1024x768, sonic-adventure-1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2887738
>we all know how that story ended, though.

Yeah it was arguably above and beyond anything Mario 64 ever did but because of stupid /v/ tier maymays no one wants to admit it anymore.

>> No.2887752

>>2887750

It's okay to have shitty contrarian opinions on the internet, but I hope you never tell anybody IRL about how you feel.

>> No.2887757

>>2887752
>>>/v/

Take your stupid Sonic is shit meme with you. You're not welcome here anymore you fucking shitlord.

>> No.2887759

>>2887757
Any Sonic game on the DC and later sucked shit, or at best was mediocre. And I'm saying that as a guy who loved Sonic games and used to admin one of the biggest Sonic site from the early 00s.

The Megadrive games were all good. Except Sonic 3d, but even that at least still had great music.

>> No.2887760

>>2887757

This is the moment where I formally ask you to fuck off back to reddit, retard.

>> No.2887762

>>2887760
Reddit is a place that would force your stupid anti-Sonic game asshole. Fuck off from MY imageboard you maymay spouting LOSER! YOU'RE A LOSER! A FUCKING LOSER! GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY BOARD YOU GOD DAMNED SONIC HATING LOSER! LOOOOOOSER!

>> No.2887775
File: 116 KB, 640x480, 1432064384129.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Fuck everyone in this thread.

Sonic Adventure was good, the only reason the "It sucks" maymays started were because the game had a dodgy camera and people didn't like Big's levels. It tried something new, as opposed to being a short, repetitive game like Super Mario 64.

The exploration stages were awesome, the action stages themselves were fun and well designed (even if some of them did suffer too much from "hold forward for the next ten seconds while the game blasts you through this setpiece"), and it was an excellent showcase game for the then new Dreamcast.

The only real reason why people shit on the Sonic Adventure games is because the next two mainline console games after SA2 were Sonic Heroes (which wasn't that great) and Shadow the Hedgehog (which was /b/ tier edgy) and the Adventure games somehow got wrapped up with those two.

It also doesn't help that a huge chunk of the Sonic the Hedgehog "fanbase" is comprised of autistic furfags that most people only started seeing once the internet got insanely popular (what a surprise, right around the time that Sonic Adventure and SA2 were released).

>> No.2887827

>>2887762

6/10

>> No.2888012

Why can't people fucking handle that some people like Super Mario 64 and some like Sonic Adventure? Jesus christ.

>> No.2888014

>>2887775
>The only real reason why people shit on the Sonic Adventure games is because
According to who? You? Neither of the Adventure games held up. Almost to the point where you question if they were any good at all.

>> No.2888030

>>2887775
>Sonic Adventure was good
I disagree. It's a buggy mess that was outclassed by other 3D platformers at the time. It got thrust into the spotlight because Sonic had a new design and was edgier than ever.
I guarantee if you put another character in his place it would have flopped and been panned by critics as being an unplayable heap of trash.

Even so, it was one of the best games on the Dreamcast. Out of a library of five games.

>> No.2888053

>>2888030
Hardly the best dreamcast game. Weak bait.
>>2887775
Its mostly the voice acting and character design changes that ruin SA for me. The gameplay was really good at the time and most people agree on that. I have felt this way since 1999.

>> No.2888073

>>2887775
I dislike both Sonic Adventure AND SM64.
*grabs popcorn*

>> No.2888078

One of the dudes making this nearly died from overworking trying to complete this game.

>> No.2888079

>>2888030

> Sonic Adventure
> Edgy

So you didn't actually play it then, and are just lumping it in with later games, literally what >>2887775 said you would do.

>>2888030
>outclassed by other 3D platformers at the time

Bait or you just don't know what you are talking about. 3D platformers "at the time" included complete garbage like Donkey Kong 64.

The only good 3d platformers that released back in '99 other than Sonic Adventure were Spyro 2, Croc 2, and Ape Escape, and none of them were as fast paced as Sonic Adventure was.

>> No.2888084

>>2888079

Wait, I forgot that Rayman 2 launched in '99, but the Dreamcast version didn't hit until 2000, so technically that counts too I guess.

Still though, a whopping four games, two of which aren't that great and one of which is barely a platformer anyway.

>> No.2888097

>>2888079
>So you didn't actually play it then
Confirmed for not knowing what "edgy" means. You have the the internet right in front of you, at least use it to look up words you don't understand.

>other half
The inclusion of bad 3D platformers doesn't override the fact that good ones were easily superior.
>none of them were as fast paced
You're right. Not sure what that has to do with their quality, but you're right.

>> No.2888104

>>2888097

>Confirmed for not knowing what "edgy" means.

So this is what grasping at straws looks like. Sonic Adventure isn't "edgy" you dummy, you either never played it or you don't know what the word actually means, which is pretty ironic considering what you just posted.

>>2888097
>good ones were easily superior

In your opinion, sure. But we've already established that your opinion is garbage.

>> No.2888115

>>2887775
Sonic Adventure had bad controls and awful camera that made the controls worse. The exploration stages were okay for the scenery but got boring very quick when you had to go find wherever the next level was, which the game often did not clue you into, and you had to fuck around for hours until you found where you needed to go. And the action levels were often ruined by the awful camera that made platforming way too difficult, and the buggy collision detection which made you fall into emptiness. Yes, that happened in both SA games too, not just in Sonic 06.

And it didn't help that half the cast had awful gameplay on top of that (knuckles, big).

The graphics and the game speed were ace and it showcased what the DC could do on a technical level, I agree with that. But gameplay wise, both games were average at most.

The Chao Garden was more comfy and fun than most of the rest of the game.

>> No.2888150

>>2886872
>nothing I've read suggests SEGA Technical Institute were actually competent as developers, they shat out Sonic Spinball after all.

Sonic Spinball was made in like half a year, and was pretty damn great even without that context.
They did a lot of technical wizardry in Comix Zone and The Ooze. Comix Zone needed a lot of raster fx and palette tricks to do the comic book look right, and Ooze had viscosity based movement and needed basic fluid dynamics.

They also did a ton of demos and experimental stuff behind the scenes. A lot of the better Saturn devkits came from them (including the 3d transparency in Burning Rangers), and they also worked on NV1 demos.

The reason Xtreme tanked was upper management putting them in an impossible situation (3-4 project reboots, a crazy deadline, and the team was inexperienced both with the Saturn and with coding 3d games in general).

>>2886840
>The original devs from back in the 90s could barely wrap their heads around this crazy fisheye thing they wrre going for,

They knew exactly what they were going for, but in retrospect it was an awful concept. It was a more ambitious version of Bug, with the fisheye added so you can see more of the levels in advance. It looked "impressive", but they never actually got around to designing proper levels.

Then Mario 64 and Nights came along and everyone realized that the Bug-styled 3d platform game was a dead end.

>If Naka wasn't such a cunt and let them work off the NiGHTS engine, things might've turned out differently.

The Nights engine was needed just so they can start actually doing levels, instead of coding an entire engine themselves (again). By that point Sega canned the fisheye version, they wanted the game to be free-running 3d. Which meant that all the time the team put into the fisheye version was wasted - it was a near complete project restart, hence why they asked for the Nights engine.

>> No.2888152

>>2888115

It took you hours to figure out where you had to go?

There is a character in front of the train station who will literally tell you where to go.

>> No.2888156

>>2888152
Maybe that anon is Egoraptor.

>> No.2888167

>>2888115
>bad controls
>awful camera
>half the cast had awful gameplay

While I mostly disagree, I understand these opinions and the reasoning behind them.

>Chao Garden more fun

This is do not. The Chao Garden was fucking boring and the absolute worst thing about the Adventure games. How people think Big's fishing stages were awful, but then love this horribly tedious and irritating virtual pet game I'll never understand.

>> No.2888175

>>2888156

I didn't think of that.

Hey Arin, longtime listener first time caller, I was wondering - is it true that Suzy has three nipples? I'll take my answer off the air, thank you.

>> No.2888240

>>2885931
>>2886570
>>2886810

So is the eventual plan to make it playable on actual Saturn hardware/emulators? Because I'd totally play that.

>> No.2888573

>>2887775
pretty sure I saw this exact post on /v/
or something pretty close to it
but I'll reply anyway

SA1's pretty glitchy. In general. On the DC, I've had scripted paths break quite a bit. In SADX, I've fallen through the floor more times than I care to count, and occasionally had that happen on the DC. The camera is ass (worse on DC), but I haven't really had too many issues with it after all these years. The Sonic stages have issues (which I'll chalk up to it being Sonic Teams first attempt at doing 3D Sonic), although some of them are brilliant.

Amy, Big, and Gamma hurt the game.
Amy's clunky and not really fun to play as. She's slow in a bad way, and the game doesn't even take advantage of her lack of speed to have somewhat tricky, interesting platforming.
Big is like Sega's arcade fishing games, except instead of exciting fish catching action (most of the fun of the Sega fishing games was having to catch all these fish in the time limit), you try to locate Froggy.
Gamma's almost cool, but again, his stages and control are clunky, even if his concept is cool as fuck (going around killing shit to keep your timer up, that sounds like the kind of thing Sega would do and not fuck up).

Tails' stages are Sonic stages with dash-gates spammed through the stage willy-nilly. Still pretty fun.
Knuckles stages... are more fun than in SA2, but only because of the radar not being gimped to hell and back, the stage design is comparatively lacking. They're bits of Sonic stages with Emerald shards shoved in.

It is a 7/10 game at best, and probably a 5/10 because half the game is more than a bit crap (at least unlike SA2, you can ignore most of the crap), and then half of the other half is kind of meh.
Graphically, it's pretty impressive (go look at the DC version, and then look at what other games were out in 1999, the game looks pretty good). It definitely showcases the DC.
It's also straight up not a great game.

>> No.2888707

>>2888167
>The Chao Garden was fucking boring and the absolute worst thing about the Adventure games. How people think Big's fishing stages were awful, but then love this horribly tedious and irritating virtual pet game I'll never understand.
A shit opinion in it's purest form.

>> No.2888729

>>2888012

I like both of them.

>> No.2889709

>>2888012
they're both shit

>> No.2889758

>Make thread about Sonic X-Treme a few days ago

>Come back to see people talking shit about Sonic Adventure and Super Mario 64

>> No.2889851

>>2888030
>It's a buggy mess that was outclassed by other 3D platformers at the time. It got thrust into the spotlight because Sonic had a new design and was edgier than ever.
I guarantee if you put another character in his place it would have flopped and been panned by critics as being an unplayable heap of trash.

Absolutely true

>Even so, it was one of the best games on the Dreamcast. Out of a library of five games.
No, there are at least 100 worthwhile game on the Dreamcast that are easily better than Sonic Adventure.

>> No.2889865

>>2888707
Why? Explain what makes the Chao Garden so great?

>> No.2889884

>>2889865

Not the same guy, but a lot of people I know liked the chao garden stuff because it was a nice break from the action stages, and customizing your chao by using different animals to change the way they looked was cool.

I never got super into it but I appreciate that it was there for people who are into the whole A-Life thing.

>> No.2889906

>>2889865

Chao Garden was neat

>> No.2889943

>>2889758

Where do you think we are.jpg

>> No.2889962

>>2889758
What is 4chan Trebek.

>> No.2890570

>>2889865
Chao Garden is one of the best shits I had the pleasure of playing.

>> No.2893187

>>2886840
>Remember, this is a modern reproduction engine that goes way beyond what the original X-Treme engine could do

And also remember that this is as far as he's gotten with it, even though it's been in development since 2006.