[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 163 KB, 1024x768, nights_into_dreams[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2863539 No.2863539 [Reply] [Original]

What the fuck did I just play?

>> No.2863558

>>2863539
NiGHTS into dreams...

>> No.2863598

>>2863539
>what did I just play?
One of the 5th gens best games. I honestly didn't find it all that great the first time but I replayed it a few years later and now it's one of my all time favorites. Try it again but go for "A" grades on all stages. It takes some practice but the game really shines once you git gud. Also if you didn't use the 3d controller you didn't play the game the way you were meant to.

>> No.2863607

>>2863539
>What the fuck did I just play?

An overrated piece of shit.

>> No.2863612

>>2863598
>It takes some practice but the game really shines once you git gud.

,,, no, it really doesn't. The only thing you need to do is
1. fly above your start post to re-do each level for more points, as long as your points allow.
2. kill bosses in less than 10 seconds for a 2x multiplier.

The second part may take moderate amounts of skill, but only until you figure out the correct pattern.

>> No.2863614

>>2863598
Pretty much the same thing happened to me. It's unique in a lot of ways but ultimately a simple score attack game at its heart. And a very good one.

>> No.2863621

>>2863612
... what. That's like saying racing games aren't good because all you do is laps. That's the point.

>> No.2863626

IN THE NIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHTS

DEAMS DELIIIIIIIIIIGHT

>> No.2863660

>>2863612
> fly above your start post to re-do each level for more points, as long as your points allow
Your not wrong but once your able to fly thru an entire stage(s) not losing your link count + using acrobatics it becomes very fun and very fluid.

>>2863614
Yeah first couple times playing I had no idea it even had a 7th level. Would finish a level as fast as I could, get a shit grade, beat the boss, and shrug. Wasn't until I started trying for a good score(which forces you 2 git gud) did the game change for the better.

>> No.2863723

>>2863539
That's how I felt too. The game is extremely weird, vague and esoteric, and I mean all of it: the story, the music, the graphics, the gameplay itself. I tried, but I really couldn't get into it. I still don't know what the fuck I played when I played this.

>> No.2863808
File: 1.42 MB, 2592x1936, img_0[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.2863818

>>2863539
Something beautiful.

>> No.2863834

>>2863621
It's not a racing game though. Nights is a more abstract idea. It's a weirdo little thing where you fly around, trying to build up your score before the time runs out, and that's it. It's very simplistic and pretty fucking vague. It's just not very enjoyable to some people, and I would think that it's fans would be able to understand that.
After all, something like a racing game requires you to actually get there first to win, while Nights has no such factor in it. You just have to meet the score requirements.

Videogames in general are very objective driven. Even in games where all you're out to do is "save the world", there's still a current goal to keep you focused. Nights just sort of drops you into the game world and expects that flying around and building up a score is gonna keep your attention for more than an afternoon. And for most of us, it's just not all that.

I'll admit that it was a very fun and interesting afternoon for me when I first played this, but I never played it again, because I never felt the need to. I never literally sat around thinking "man! I gotta play nights again!" While I HAVE done that with other games.

The sad thing (to me) is that the gameplay is actually pretty fun, but the game itself is boring and unfocused. If they'd used that gameplay in something more objective driven (not talking about adding combat for combat's sake either), then they could have had a real winner on their hands. But nope. Just build up your score and run laps...

>> No.2863835

>>2863834
>It's not a racing game though
Yes it is.

>building up a score is gonna keep your attention for more than an afternoon. And for most of us, it's just not all that.
Have you ever played an arcade game before?

>> No.2863849

>>2863834

Fuck off

>> No.2864006

>>2863539
Thanks for reminding me that I need to play Christmas NiGHTS before the holidays are over.

>> No.2864089

The music and the colors and the animations are supposed to come together into something special . Stop worrying about "winning" and just relax and try to appreciate the dreams. Take some drugs if you have to.

>> No.2864427

>>2864089
>don't worry about winning
This. It's different from what everyone is used to but just beating the game is not really playing it. I think this is why most people are put off by NiGHTS and either never get or(like me) figure it out on later play throughs.

>relax take drugs if you have to
I've never done drugs and played games(not counting alcohol) but I bet smoking weed and playing NiGHTS would be boss.

>> No.2864431

>>2863849
nice rebuttal faggot

>> No.2864435
File: 70 KB, 653x490, 7843437_p4.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

An amazing game.

Now play Christmas NiGHTS and don't come back until you can get an A rank.

>> No.2864443

>>2863539
An unequivocal masterpiece.
Legitimately my favorite video game of all time.

>> No.2864456

>>2864431
>replying to the post after a rebuttal

nice reading comprehension faggot

>> No.2864479

inb4 sega appreciation thread guy

>> No.2864486

What are your favorite stage, music, and boss anons?

>Stage:
Soft Museum

>Music:
Puffy boss stage(runner up Soft Museum)

>Boss:
Jackal

>> No.2864490

>>2864486
twin seeds
I can't remember which one started with the bagpipes off the top of my head but I'm thinking it was soft museum, so that one
I dunno, I like gillwing since I'm not good at the game honestly and I like trying to actually learn how to do the whole "paraloop the entire tail in one go" thing properly. Fun little challenge for me.

>> No.2864502

>>2864490
>starts with bagpipes

Yup, that's Soft Museum
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uHdPy0Sy-2g

>> No.2864521

So much /v/ in one thread..............................

>> No.2864526

>>2864502

yeah that

that's my jam

>> No.2864530 [DELETED] 

>>2863539
probably Fallout 4 or Star Wars Battlefront or something. That thread doesn't belong on /vr/ though

>> No.2864534

>>2864486
>Stage
Twin Seeds
>Music
The Amazing Water
>Boss
Clawz

>> No.2864540 [DELETED] 

>>2864530
Fallout 4 haters belong on /v/. Fuck off.

>>>/v/

>> No.2864545

>>2864540
where did you get that I hate it? It's just one of the most common games played at the moment, so it was likely OP played it

>> No.2864547

>>2864545
You're not fooling anyone troll.

>> No.2864548 [DELETED] 
File: 6 KB, 443x79, Look at how much I care.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2864521
How about contributing to the thread instead?

I've always wondered how much information the opening FMVs take up on the disk, and what could have been added if Sega had forgone it. Longer songs? Maybe even a hidden level or something? The mind boggles.

>>2864486
Frozen Bell

Take the Snow Train!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAXxsPKVrgo&fmt=18

Clawz, as much of a pain in the ass he is to beat, I love his stage and design.

>> No.2864553

>>2864547
>what game did I just play?

>(intentionally ignoring context) Fallout 4 or Battlefront! That's not retro though (so it's irrelevant)

>WTF YOU HATE FALLOUT 4?

>no

>yes you do

That'll be $5

>> No.2864554

>>2864548
>Longer songs?
Sure, audio didn't compress exceptionally well back then, but certainly better than video

>Maybe even a hidden level or something?
Hundreds? Level data is usually tiny. The space wasters are FMVs, audio and textures. Everything else is so small, it hardly shows up as a blip.

>The mind boggles.
No, it doesn't

>> No.2864556

>>2864553
>context
OP was shitposting, so was I. This thread is doomed from the start, because of OPs fucked up attention grabbing, and because the "subject" cleanly splits the audience into people that fellate this game day in and day out, and people that couldn't give a flying fuck about it if they tried.

>That's not retro though
duh? As if shitposters follow the rules

>> No.2864560
File: 539 KB, 600x633, 53120276_p22_master1200.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I shouldn't have to say this but seriously, don't respond to the dipshit trying to derail the thread.

Also if you have any good nights fanart post it, my folder isn't big enough.

>> No.2864565

>>2864560
>my folder isn't big enough
So you don't need more art, can't fit it in there anyway

>> No.2864568
File: 9 KB, 252x250, Diglett Is Not Amused.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2864554
>No, it doesn't

Chill out man, I know how data works. I was just humouring a thought I had.

>>2864556
>missing the point this badly

Holy shit your anger is palpable. Do you even know what shitposting is, or do you just throw that word around at posts you don't like? If you hate the game so much, hide the thread.

Jesus.

>> No.2864571 [DELETED] 

>>2864568
>Do you even know what shitposting is
Sure, I identified this thread just fine as such.

>If you hate the game so much
I don't. OP though, can go choke on a bowl of dicks

>hide the thread.
Likewise. Let's purge this fucker.

>> No.2864576

>>2864548
>hidden levels
Even tho NiGHTS has high replay value it is quite short. One more level for each character would of been awesome.

>> No.2864579

>>2864576

yeah, if they ever made a sequel I honestly think it'd be better off being a small downloadable title or something that tries to basically be like nights but with more levels rather than whatever they were doing with JoD.

>> No.2864582

>>2864579
Give away the core engine and basic levels for free, then sell packs of character + level for $x each, keep making new levels every y months. The majority of dev work is in this sort of "asset creation", might as well attach the price to it.

>> No.2864595

>>2864571
>I identified this thread just fine

You see, that's where our definitions of "shitposting" differ. For me, shitposting is not posting on topic, which is exactly what you're doing. Thus, shit-posting. If the thread is about a retro game, regardless of how baited you perceive a thread to be, it's still on topic. You know, because this is a place to discuss retro games.

Your definition appears to be any bait whatsoever, which isn't the case (as per my explanation above). People are smart enough to point out bait and in turn avoid it (generally), but you seem to be forgetting that this is still a place to discuss the game, even if you don't like it. Any conversation is good conversation on 4chan. So to summarize, fuck off with your backseat moderating. You're annoying as fuck and will derail the thread.

>I don't.

So talk about the game for crying out loud. Stop shitposting.

>Likewise. Let's purge this fucker.

That doesn't even make sense. I think you're just mad because you're falsely assuming that OP was trying to be inflammatory. Which he's not; this is just a thread about a game that just so happens to have polarizing opinions, which is fantastic for 4chan threads. I'm going to stop replying to you, so feel free to say whatever you want at me.

>>2864576
I felt that it would have been interesting to have some form of event you could trigger to take an alternate path, like finding an item as NiGHTS or the kids. I felt that would have expanded replayability a decent bit.

>>2864582
This is more true that most people care to think about, modelling a face let alone an entire body is pretty time consuming. Main reason why I believe certain companies should stop making AAA titles and focus on easy to make experimental titles.

>> No.2864607

>>2864595
>For me, shitposting is not posting on topic
For me shitposting is, among many other things, posting inflammatory thread subjects

>regardless of how baited you perceive a thread to be, it's still on topic
Disagreed. If it's shitposting, it's shitposting. Retro or not, doesn't matter. That kind of shit belongs on /v/, not here.

>People are smart enough to point out bait and in turn avoid it (generally)
They fell for it hook, line and sinker. This thread should have a total of 0 replies.

>Stop shitposting
This thread's dead anyway. I'm just fooling around until the cleanup.

>> No.2864609

>>2864579
>whatever they were doing with JoD
They tried making it more appealing to the casual public ruining what made the original NiGHTS great(being a score attack game). Not to mention they did what almost never works for once silent protagonists, which is have all the characters talk. The game was pretty to look at and some of the bosses were alright but that was about it. It was a day one purchase for me and a day 2 return. Very disappointing.

>>2864595
I felt that it would have been interesting to have some form of event you could trigger to take an alternate path, like finding an item as NiGHTS or the kids. I felt that would have expanded replayability a decent bit.
I like your thinking. Different paths would of been great! Wish they would of done more with the kids also. Other than checking out the level on foot there is zero incentive to ever go out and walk around. Finding hidden items or artifacts to help NiGHTS that only the kids could pick up sounds like fun.

>> No.2864614

just did a run in christmas nights and ate shit. I swear I can either beat gillwing in ten seconds or I can't beat him at all.

I mean I guess I could do it easily if I just did it the normal way but I feel like I have to prove something to myself by getting that entire tail in one go.

>> No.2864619 [DELETED] 

>>2864607
Oh fine, one more.

>posting inflammatory thread subjects

>you seem to be forgetting that this is still a place to discuss the game, even if you don't like it. >Any conversation is good conversation on 4chan.< I think you're just mad because you're >falsely assuming< that OP was trying to be inflammatory. Which he's not; this is just a thread about a game that >just so happens to have polarizing opinions,< which is fantastic for 4chan threads.

Nice reading comprehension anon, really internalized that one

>retro or not, doesn't matter

Uh, it kind of does. Because this is a board about retro games. If you posted this on /v/ people would tell you to go here. Seriously, go try it.

>0 replies

>I hate people having fun and making conversation! Everyone has to agree with each other! Beep boop!

>thread's dead

It just started, actually. The fact you think this thread's going to be pruned is cute, to say the least.

Stop backseat moderating.

>>2864609
I've seen some speedruns that use the kids to get the links quicker, though I can agree that moving around as the kids seems completely unnecessary. Adding hidden collectables that would unlock stages or even just stuff like concept art would have been great, I would really enjoy exploring the worlds on foot while avoiding the alarm clock. The clock would start to get really annoying though, so I suppose the alarm itself would have to change (perhaps normal ticking, with the alarm going off when it catches you? Could work)

>> No.2864624

>>2864619

I think the only reason they make you play as the kid at the beginning is to instill into you that if you fuck up and run out of time you have to get to home base.

>> No.2864630

>>2864624
Ah, that does make sense, actually. Either way, I would have liked to be able to explore a bit if I fucked up my run that badly.

>> No.2864636 [DELETED] 

>>2864619
>If you posted this on /v/ people would tell you to go here
And it'd be just as wrong. It's just a shitpost. The only good thing to do with it is report, or hide, or maybe respond with a few more shitposts to get it out of the system.

Cool strawmen in your post. I don't give a damn about nights one way or another. I do give a damn about the way OP is worded, which was why I opened this thread, and posted what I posted. If OP wants to talk about Night, they can make a thread about it. This here is just shitposting central.

>> No.2864651
File: 20 KB, 283x283, 1434140536499-2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2864636
>It's just a shitpost.
Yeah, you seem to be failing to understand why that's inherently wrong, so I'm going to go about ignoring you now. Feel free to reply once you've actually internalized what I meant.

>If OP wants to talk about Night, they can make a thread about it.

That's literally what he did. Holy shit you are dense.

>> No.2864657
File: 663 KB, 900x900, 1444812702811.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2864630

It seems like it would be fun to do a "run" where I just explore the map yeah. I should try that some time.

>>2864651

stop replying to the moron derailing the thread. You're just giving them what they want.

>> No.2864660

>>2864657
I did that. He's going to reply, saying this thread is all shitposting, and I'm going to note that he didn't internalize. Conversation over.

And please do, it's cool to see the map from a different angle.

>> No.2864665 [DELETED] 

>>2864651
>you seem to be failing to understand why that's inherently wrong
no u

>That's (...) what he did
nah, they asked people wtf they just played, which is about as useless a thread as it gets.

>>2864657
The only morons derailing this thread are the ones talking about some random game, instead of guessing just wtf OP played.

>>2864660
>He's going to reply, saying this thread is all shitposting
There's some discussion about a game going on, which is a bit of a shame, as that could happen in a real thread, not this throwaway mess here.

>> No.2864669 [DELETED] 

>>2864665
Check and mate. Bye.

>> No.2864674 [DELETED] 

>>2864669
So, Chessmaster? Are you even OP?

>> No.2864965
File: 528 KB, 633x463, gg.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2864674
Nah

I downloaded a copy of NiGHTS into dreams and I'd like some tips on playing better. How can I use the acrobatics to my advantage? Because I do an awful lot of turning around when I don't mean to.

>> No.2864971

>>2864965

best advice I can give is to not turn around, just keep going to your next link

>> No.2864976

>>2864971
But doing that only seems to yield me C rankings, am I just going to have to use a controller if I want to get better scores?

>> No.2864980

>>2864965
I forgot how horrible the remake's version of the Saturn graphics look.

>> No.2864985

>>2864976

as long as you fly over the main point and keep going till the clock's less than twenty (preferably less than ten) and don't miss everything, you should have no problem getting an A rank in most levels

>> No.2864987

>>2864980
They're lacking, to say the least. I'd play the upgraded version but the music changes are too much for me to be able to appreciate it

I like the updated look (though the 3d rendered enemies and nightopians are a bit of a downer, I liked how they looked on the saturn) but I can't get over how they thought moving random instruments around would ever sound good

Also there's no widescreen in saturn mode, which is equally retarded

>>2864985
...Oh, I tried that but I suppose I still came in too early. Thanks for the tip!

>> No.2864992

>>2864987
>the music changes
what
you do know songs change based on nightopian mood right? each song has 4 parts and 4 variations of each part.

>> No.2864996

>>2864992
I do recall hearing about that, but I never encountered it when I played on the saturn so I didn't know what it sounded like. Probably because I never hatched any eggs or anything originally, come to think of it (which is interesting, considering I did it by accident)

Excuse my noobishness, I still prefer the original arrangements

>> No.2865000

>>2864996
I think anon is saying the other version did not change the "original arrangements". You're just hearing the variations you did not hear on the original.

>> No.2865003

>>2865000
Yes, that was what I said (though it was a little retardese). I never encountered any music changing on the saturn because I never accidentally hatched an egg, or whatever it was that triggered the change.

I suppose I could grow to like them, but hearing it so suddenly was pretty jarring.

>> No.2865069

>>2865003

When you've replayed every stage 600 times for dat A rank you'll be glad to hear some variation.

>> No.2865126

>>2863834
Dude, that's the entire point.

Nights isn't a game you play when you want to "win", Nights is a game you play when you just want to have a relaxing, zen like gaming experience. You just sit there and "melt" into the game. If you don't ever game to relax, then no, you won't like this game.

>> No.2865324

>>2865126
I'm not that guy, but please don't use "game" as a verb. That's the cringiest shit ever.

>> No.2865369

Well, just unlocked 8 pulls on Christmas Nights. Bet you Reala fucks me on the first box I pick.

>> No.2865372 [DELETED] 

>>2863539
Dreamcast is Sixth Gen.
Sixth Gen isn't retro.
Dreamcast isn't retro.

>> No.2865374

>>2865369

On one hand I'm glad I unlocked all that shit last year (only bought my saturn sometime last year) but on the other I kinda regret not deleting my save and re-unlocking it all this year

played it enough that I could have unlocked everything anyway. Also that nights goodies section always surprises me since I've never seen most of that stuff anywhere, like not on ebay or even just in images online in general

>> No.2865376

>>2865372

Good thing this is a saturn game then :^)

>> No.2865650

>>2865372
First of all, this isn't a Dreamcast game.
Second of all, read the fucking sticky.

>> No.2865657

I thought the Nights games on Wii was better,.

>> No.2865660

>>2865372
>Dreamcast
what does this have to do with this thread?
Nights is a saturn exclusive.

>> No.2865726

I want to like the game but it feels like high scores are based more around memorizing the level layouts than being exceptionally skilled with the control mechanics.

>> No.2865742

>>2865324
kek ur gay

>> No.2865972

>>2865726
It's a combination of the two, actually.

>> No.2866606

>>2863539
NiGHTS is one of those games that is infinitely more fun once you know how to play it right. The Analog controller is a must.

>> No.2866680

>>2865372
I like it when the kids come out and try to be rulemisters.

>> No.2866697

>been playing off and on since the HD rerelease on PSN since that was the only way I could play it at the time
>highest rank I've gotten is C and that was only once

Suffering.

>> No.2866707

>>2866697

To get an A rank you're best off trying to get the 20 chips you need as fast as possible and getting to the capture. After that though, don't rush home. Do laps around the stage to get as many additional points as you can, until the timer has run out. You're gonna have to fly over the home base (I forget its actual name at the moment) so you don't trigger the next course or lap or section or whatever it's called. When you get to the boss though, it's back to trying to beat them as fast as possible so you can get a higher multiplier.

Nights is kind of a weird game, anon.

>> No.2867616

>>2865069
True.

>> No.2867919

best boss fights

jackle > wizeman > puffy > reala > claws > gulpo > gillwing

tbqh

>> No.2867934

>>2865324
>mommy, some one is doing something I don't like on the internet, make them stop.

>> No.2868615

>>2865372
How underage could you possibly fucking be?

>> No.2868710

>>2863539
Is it similar to Sonic Adventure?

>> No.2868718
File: 1.69 MB, 2368x4224, IMAG0414.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

They haven't forgotten yet guys

>> No.2868720

>>2868710
It's a different genre than Sonic Adventure. Why ask that question?

>> No.2868723
File: 78 KB, 659x506, 1433829851545.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2868718
>Nights
>not NiGHTS

>> No.2871075
File: 97 KB, 1280x720, maxresdefault.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

For the longest time, I thought Reala was the coolest character in video game history.

>> No.2871121
File: 50 KB, 200x200, explosion.gif~c200.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

why is the i not capitalized?

>> No.2871157
File: 177 KB, 800x911, 15964-nights-into-dreams-sega-saturn-back-cover.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2871121
have you looked at the box of the game?

>> No.2871243

>>2863539
A techdemo without gameplay