[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 215 KB, 360x235, server.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2850864 No.2850864 [Reply] [Original]

Good afternoon /vr/,
I have a Tribes 2 (Tribes Next) server up right now, since it was requested by a few people on the last thread I made (though it's not quite "retro"). And the plan is to cycle retro games servers for days of the weeks (maybe cover the weekend with one game, whatever most popular).

Right now I can host and join:
Any idTech1 game (Hexen, Heretic, Doom, mods, whatever)
Unreal
Tribes 2 (Using Tribes Next patch)
Noone Lives Forever (though I can't seem to find a command line option to connect through IP, and the server list is ded, can connect through hamachi or whatever)
Hexen 2 (through hamachi or what-not - doesn't seem to like connecting through a forwarded port for some reason, still trying to fix this)
Red Faction (using Pure Faction patch)

Open to suggestions. If auto cycling them per day gets too ADD maybe I'll switch to cycling them out per week or just on request.

Before I go through the trouble of finding other games to set up I kinda wanna see how this performs/if there's any demand for this sort of thing. So if anyone has Tribes (2) Next, the server name is VRTHUMPERS. And if you don't have it it's free, so go get it. http://www.tribesnext.com/

Lemme know your ping and location so I have an idea if my connection is suitable. It's just CTF on the default map cycle, 32 players I think...

My server room actually looks a lot less like pic related and a lot more like my living room with an XPS 630 tucked behind my couch.

>> No.2850929

This sounds both fun and very thoughtful of you, friend Serveranon. I will do my best to be of help if you need it, and hopefully get some games in as well.

>> No.2850975

>>2850864
>If auto cycling them per day gets too ADD maybe I'll switch to cycling them out per week or just on request.

Per week sounds like the best cause it gives everyone a chance to hop in at some point. There's nothing worse than finding out you were like an hour late to play multiplayer in a game you love with people here .

>> No.2850992

>>2850929
Thanks for the offer. Really just any suggestions or feedback would be helpful. My upload speed is just north of 2MB, so it should be pretty playable for anyone on the west coast, but hopefully suitable to east coasters too. Not sure yet, since this is my first venture into hosting for the most part.

A friend suggested Thievery UT, so I think I'm going to go for that, and maybe host a UT99 server with some of my dads old maps from ~1999/2000 thrown in the mix... Though Speck has a well liked server he posts around on 4chain, so I'd be competing.

>There's nothing worse than finding out you were like an hour late to play multiplayer in a game you love with people here
Fair point. I'll probably do that then, instead. I'd like to throw the necessary files on mediafire or something, but the legality of that is pretty shaky so I might just suggest some places to look and include basic directions to get the games to run (though I think most people on /vr/ could handle it themselves/it's mostly self explanatory)

>> No.2850995

>>2850992
>2MB
my bad... it's closer to 10. Dunno what I'm thinking.

>> No.2851000
File: 109 KB, 320x240, sure.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2850995
>MB
Mbps I mean. Bleh. Heads not screwed on right today.

>> No.2851004

>>2850992
Close enough to the East Coast here, I can check to see speeds.

>> No.2851006

I'd defo be up for some ut99

>> No.2851009

>>2851004
Awesome. Tribes 2 and Unreal coop is up right now if you have either of them.
>>2851006
I'll do that an upcoming week then. Getting everything together for it right now.

>> No.2851267

Hm. I can set up a UT99 server, but it doesn't show in the server browser as an online game, and when I try to join through the lan section, or via IP it just hangs on "connecting"... Why can't everything be easy.

>> No.2852887
File: 92 KB, 620x357, unreal.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2851267
Well. For whatever reason I can't host a UT99 server. It simply will not even attempt to connect, with no reason given. Doesn't even try. So fuck it. I've spent too many hours on it.

I can host an Unreal Gold server just fine though.