[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 27 KB, 472x464, shadowman.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2843820 No.2843820 [Reply] [Original]

Thoughts?

I think it's fairly underrated and not really known outside of the Nintendo 64 version (which was solid, had plenty of voice acting, and was one of the few 'mature' games on the system).

There's also PC (which is only recently usable on modern systems), Dreamcast (virtually identical to PC) and PS1 (totally horrible) versions.

>> No.2844365

It's a game with a great atmosphere. Deadside looks insanely grim and depressing between how it's only populated by mindless things and the soundtrack. The open world also brings out this organic way of progression with the gates.

The game does suffer badly from the tank controls, however. Also, I found the whole draw/holster thing kinda annoying, especially when you ave to climb things and something's shooting at you.

>> No.2844382

>>2843820
I really enjoyed this game, its criminally underated. And the ps1 version may have a shit framerate but the music makes up for it imo. But all versions are great. I originally owned the ps1 version and later played the n64 and Dreamcast version. DC really is the best way to play it, I don't think it runs well on modern pcs or in dosbox.

>> No.2844735

"Hey Mikey, want to hear a joke?"

>> No.2844939

reportedly avgn wife's favorite game

>> No.2845260

>>2844382
Only problem with DC version is that it stutters every time it loads data from the GD-ROM for whatever reason.

Maybe if somebody's got that SD card mod for DC it doesn't happen.

>> No.2845414
File: 445 KB, 632x473, 1439624908433.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Great game. Among my favorite action adventure games, especially when you go into the temples for the sister trials because there can actually be some fun platforming in those.

Though the enemies can be meat shields, at least later on in the game you get some decent voodoo weapons to compensate for their outrageous HP pools.

The NYC apartment block was one of the scariest things I had to go through in a video game, and the end result of it? There were almost no enemies in the entire thing, but trying to stalk your prey which was a serial killer in his own hovel that was massive so he knew the in's and out's of it and stumbling onto butchered people, mummified people with flies buzzing around them, and the worn out rooms was just disturbing because unlike most video games I play I can actually see something like this in reality. That is probably what made it so haunting. There are abandoned buildings out there, you don't know what is in there, you don't even know if someone is now squatting in there as well and what they may do to you.

It happens to be one of the few games that I have played that I actually went ahead and read the books you find in game like the book of shadows from the previous Shadowman or the criminal file on all the serial killers you are trying to go after and also Jack the Rippers diary. It was just a very dark and immersive world.

>> No.2845652

When I played this as a kid, the gameplay sucked dick. The atmosphere was suffocating and the game had pretty much nothing going for it except for the edgy serial killer themes. I don't see myself ever coming back to this pile of garbage.

>> No.2845673

I rented Shadowman back in the day and could NEVER get past the waterfall section in the first level.

I had no idea what to do and couldn't progress.

So, I don't have great memories of it, but it was a decent game before I got stuck.