[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 421 KB, 1496x1122, Honey-Bee-Adapter-Japan-22-Video-Game-Multi-Cart-Nintendo-NES-Famicom.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2818150 No.2818150 [Reply] [Original]

So I'm buying one of these to play famicom games rather than getting an actual famicom due to the odd issues with video standards on the actual hardware.

My question is, does anyone have experience using one of these in a regular NES with non-standard famicom carts? By that I mean some of the taller/oddly shaped cartridges. I'd be concerned that with the adapter they wouldn't fit in my front loading NES

>> No.2818165

>>2818150
What about NES clones? I have one of those dirt-cheap Hyperkin NES models and wouldn't mind being able to play Famicom games, but I'd heard that the Game Genie doesn't even work properly.

>> No.2818194

Just gut a Gyromite, yo.

>> No.2818294

You have a good inch plus of additional room. Tall carts still fit fine. A much bigger problem is getting them out without pulling the cart off the adapter. They usually have a ribbon that hangs out.

>> No.2818296

>>2818150
tall carts work but you obviously cannot push the ZIF connector down.

hope your 72pin is still good, if not you'll need a new one

>> No.2818310

>>2818150
>So I'm buying one of these to play famicom games rather than getting an actual famicom due to the odd issues with video standards on the actual hardware.

AV modding a Famicom is pretty easy.
Otherwise there's AV Famicoms and Twin Famicoms that have built-in AV out.
Twin Famicoms have allegedly the best video quality. AV modded original Famicoms suffer pretty badly from jailbars unless you do pin lifting etc.

The video format is only a problem when you're using RF, the composite from an AV Famicom/Twin Famicom/AV-modded regular Famicom is just regular old NTSC composite.

>> No.2818421

>>2818150
Some carts won't fit but it's only a handful

>odd issues with video standards
It's hardly odd that todays kids can't tune in a channel. As suggested you can AV mod or get AV version if that's you.

>> No.2818582

I got a Generation Nex

It's good enough, but if I ever want to play any of those unlicensed Tengen games or Castlevania 3 I'd be shit out of luck.

>> No.2819591

>>2818582
The Tengen games had a copy of the lockout chip, why wouldn't they work?