[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 125 KB, 1268x666, sddsf.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2808903 No.2808903 [Reply] [Original]

This shit right here is the opposite of fun

>> No.2808915

The original graphics are way more fun, I agree.

>> No.2808935

>>2808915
At least they give the option to revert to those at will. Can't say the same for most HD remakes.

>> No.2808942

That whole game is opposite of fun.
I adore the first Monkey island, but 2 is such a piece of shit. Almost all of the damn puzzles are illogical as fuck and nigh impossible to solve without a guide.

>> No.2808947

>>2808935
Too bad they still half-assed a lot of stuff. I'm still hoping for a 2.0 patch that would fix fucking everything wrong with the MI2SE, including the music.

>>2808942
Monkey-wrench aside, which puzzles are we talking about? There's a logical explanation for everything in this game.

>> No.2809123

It's pretty annoying how he shows up when you're trying to figure out what to do, then when you know you need him around it takes forever for him to come back.

>>2808942
I dunno I think the puzzles were pretty good. The monkey wrench was kind of a stretch, though. Also the spitting contest still kind of confuses me.

>> No.2809173

>>2809123
>Also the spitting contest still kind of confuses me

Largo's spit was green-colored (this means Largo ordered a mix of Yellow Beard's Baby and Blue Whale) and it traveled all the way to the wall, which means it made his spit especially thick. That's the first clue.

The second one comes from experimenting with the car horn and how the cannon attracts both the folks and the referee. Since you're a pirate, you're not supposed to play by the rules, and if you happen to use the flags while people are watching Guybrush will just say it's not a good idea if they can see you cheating.

The third clue is actually hidden in Governor Marley's villa, if you eavesdrop a couple of attendees (I think it was the skeleton and moose) they'll go like

>"Did you watch the spitting context?"
>"Yeah, I even got second"
>"Really?"
>"Yeah, the wind helped me" or something like that

If you get this hint, you'll focus on what you can do to check for the wind while you're spitting, which will make you notice the girl's scarf occasionally moves in the direction you're supposed to spit, and you know that's the intended moment for you to spit.

You're welcome.

>> No.2809182

>>2808903
>Stretchy muscleman
Well shit dude I kind of want to dig some up. I don't think I ever had any but I remember seeing pictures all the time in those party magazines.

>> No.2809191
File: 76 KB, 640x400, personcomb sodomizes a monkey by a dam.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

That monkey wrench shit made me so mad. It made me madder than anything in KQ5.

At least having a face makes you being hit in it with a pie a bad thing, even if you're a yeti. But having to hypnotize a monkey putting a banana on its metronome, picking it up and then having to use it as a tool, around just to make a pun? Fuck that. Still, I enjoyed this game a lot. Great OST, atmosphere and animation, specially on LeChuck and that resurrection sequence. I laughed so hard at that poster on Phatt island that actually updates with all the crimes you have to comit to beat the game. And Woodtick is the comfiest place I've seen in an adventure game so far.

>>2808947
>>2809173
I'm not saying the solutions to every puzzle are not logical, but way too contrived. You're always missing something that turns out to be not THAT obvious and very easily overlooked. How would I have expected to have Guybrush pick up and carry the damn dog? Why would carrying balloons around make Guybrush lighter like that, does it work that way? Was I expected to use the horn on every damn place I could and then think about cheating by PICKING UP the flags? The spitting contest is specially frustrating because every time you come back to it, you feel like you're missing something. I listened to the audio comentary on the spitting contest puzzle and even the creators admited it was too farfetched. I guess this game had a Lite version for a reason.

Again: I really liked the game, but thank God for walkthroughs

>> No.2809379

>>2809173
I think the game also gives you a hint about your spit getting thicker when you drink the greenish drink. I didn't even about know that eavesdropping thing, I think I just noticed the scarf.

But yeah, there were way too many parts to that puzzle.

>> No.2809441

>>2809173
I've never even played this game but that sounds pretty much impossible to figure out.

Anyone know where you can get the DOS release of MI2?

>> No.2809454
File: 98 KB, 640x480, spit.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2809379
That's the thing with this game though. The hints are there, but in very unlikely places. You get that hint from making the drink, but what are the odds you're going to come out with the idea of mixing your own green drink because you saw Largo spit after drinking one in the bar?

>>2809441
I got it on emuparadise, it should be there.

>> No.2809474

>>2809454
I think I ended up combining the drinks when I was stuck and tried to figure out what to do with them.

I know, expecting people to solve the puzzles like that isn't really acceptable.

>> No.2809485

>>2809454
I was actually just checking emuparadise and I can't find it there at all, just the floppy versions.

>> No.2809508

>>2809485
Oh? The one I downloaded was called "Floppy DOS", and it's certainly there. So, is that not the right one? Welp, sorry.

>> No.2809562

>>2809508
isn't there a CD DOS version with better quality music or something?

>> No.2809658

>>2809191
Probably THE worst part about the spitting contest and the easiest to overlook was that you had to wait for the wind to blow strong enough which was only indicated by the flags waving faster.

>> No.2809671
File: 62 KB, 500x349, dogincoat.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2809562
I looked into it and I don't think the CD version is that different, saw some posts on the ScummVM forum saying that there's not much difference between versions, and I think this video (with MASSIVE spoilers of the game) is using that version, as it claims to use a "White Label CD version" of the game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAo3vPsp5QU

If this is the version you mean, it's completely identical to the one I played. But I'm definitely no expert on the matter, so..

>> No.2809827
File: 631 KB, 1024x600, Jolly-rasta.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2809658
Well yeah, that one was bad but you're not quite right. You can also see the wind in the belt of the rightmost lady in the audience. I think the cheating part is the worst offender of that puzzle. Let's not even mention that the horn is a very easy to overlook item: but was there any kind of clue that the Spitmaster was waiting for the mail boat? I don't remember it at all.

Btw, I don't mean to shill but if you're playing these games (meaning: any adventure game of this kind) and you find them too frustrating and obtuse, don't use a walkthrough. Use these instead. http://www.uhs-hints.com/uhsweb/monkey2.php They're great for pointing you in the right direction while not spoiling anything and only looking for what you want.

>> No.2810012

>>2808942
I dont remember having a guide when I completed this game as a mere child.

perhaps you have autism.

>> No.2810027
File: 82 KB, 385x600, Godzilla Does Not Approve of this Shit.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>People think this is the best Monkey Island because the ending is grimdark and doesn't make a lot of sense

>> No.2810818 [DELETED] 

Nah, the CD releases are the same but for the difficulty select (which is always there on ScummVM)

Monkey Island 2 couldn't have high quality music because the whole music system it uses is wholly tied to midis, if you want high quality music just download some Roland MT-32 roms and tell ScummVM or DOSBox (I suggest the latter if you can make something out of it) to emulate it, then you just need to start the game with "monkey2 r".

>>2809827
>was there any kind of clue that the Spitmaster was waiting for the mail boat?

That's why you have to experiment. The whole reason Augustus is there is so he can blow the cannon when the mail boat comes, which is supposed to sound its horn whenever it's coming. Since he doesn't really have a clue you're there any horn sound can cause him to sound the cannon, and this is a funny thing to try per se, but you'll also notice the referee leaving his post to check out on the old man, and that's the whole clue.

>>2810027
I love me some MI1 but even I can agree it's grimdank as fuck. The only non-gd Monkey Island were 3 and 4, which didn't really do much (3 was amazing from an artistic/music standpoint though).

>MI1: Nice fairy tale about pirates
>MI2: LucasArts' Pirate Simulator 1991, with some accidental postmodernism up in this bitch
>COMI: LucasArts' Caribbean Simulator 1997, straight outta slapstick comedy
>EFMI: I don't even fucking know
>TOMI: Dreamworks Pictures presents: Monkey Island, the cinematic hullabaloo (not really that bad imo, but the budget was abysmal)

I love them all though.

>> No.2810828 [DELETED] 

Nah, the CD releases are the same but for the difficulty select (which is always there on ScummVM)

Monkey Island 2 couldn't have high quality music because the whole music system it uses is wholly tied to midis, if you want high quality music just download some Roland MT-32 roms and tell ScummVM or DOSBox (I suggest the latter if you can make something out of it) to emulate it, then you just need to start the game with "monkey2 r".

>>2809827

That's why you have to experiment. The whole reason Augustus is there is so he can blow the cannon when the mail boat comes, which is supposed to sound its horn whenever it's coming. Since he doesn't really have a clue you're there any horn sound can cause him to sound the cannon, and this is a funny thing to try per se, but you'll also notice the referee leaving his post to check out on the old man, and that's the whole clue.

>>2810027
I love me some MI1 but even I can agree it's grimdank as fuck. The only non-gd Monkey Island were 3 and 4, which didn't really do much (3 was amazing from an artistic/music standpoint though).

>MI2: LucasArts' Pirate Simulator 1991, with some accidental postmodernism up in this bitch
>TOMI: Dreamworks Pictures presents: Monkey Island, the cinematic hullabaloo (not really that bad imo, but the budget was abysmal)

I love them all though.

>> No.2810829 [DELETED] 

>>2809827

>>2810027

I love them all though.

>> No.2810834

>>2808942
I was 11 and didnt undersand much english when I solved that game, without a guide. I think you're just weak.

>> No.2810835

>>2809562

>>2809827

>>2810027

I love them all though.

>> No.2810845

>>2808942
Monkey Island 2 is one of the finest, if not the finest adventure game made by Lucasarts, and I dare say one of the best adventure games in general. You sir, have no taste and I will fight anyone who says you do.

>> No.2810847

>>2809827
>was there any kind of clue that the Spitmaster was waiting for the mail boat? I don't remember it at all.

using the horn anywhere in town would trigger the cannon fire, and using it on the same screen as the cannon guy you'd see the spitmaster coming

>> No.2810851

Will we ever see a new Monkey Island?

>> No.2811226

>>2810847
>>2810835
Oh, shit, is that right? Fuck, then I'm entirely at fault, because I missed the horn completely and I had to look up you could buy it and what you have to do with him. I didn't know the Spitmaster would come if you blew it next to the most sane of the two deaf old men in that game. It was a lot simpler than I thought, for some reason I was convinced that he wouldn't come to that screen. Damn I feel stupid.

>>2810027
How is 2's ending grimdark? Except for all the voodoo shenanigans and the dark humor I just thought it was supposed to just be silly and wacky. Maybe too wacky.

And I don't know about being the best, but I definitely liked how open-ended the game is at all times. Besides it's got iMuse. That's a big selling point for me, I love Banjo-Kazooeing in game osts.

>> No.2811245

>>2810851
Proper adventures are dead. All you can hope for are more Telltale Games mockery or edgy walking simulators about the genderfluidness of a 17 year old boygirl.

>> No.2811267

>>2809191
>playing MK2 as a kid and not being american or english
>game's fully translated, you don't even know a word of english yet
>the monkey wrench puzzle

I remember having a game magazine that would flat out tell the readers how to solve that puzzle in the review

>> No.2811282

You negroes can say about CMI what you want, but it has some of the best music in any adventure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONTBF_ISg5s

>> No.2812868
File: 221 KB, 600x375, CUcsADgXAAEeOdv.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2811267
I played it as an adult, knowing what a monkey wrench is for USAians and having seen that pun a million times (granted I'm not a native english speaker) and I still didn't make that connection. But I bet even if you figure it out for yourself it's still groan-inducing and the result of trying every item you have on the damn pump.

>>2810845
>You sir, have no taste and I will fight anyone who says you do.
>not specifying you'll be fighting them in insult swordfighting

You had one job.

>> No.2815782 [DELETED] 

/vr/, you post like a cow.

>> No.2815787

You post like a dairy farmer, /vr/.

>> No.2815804

>>2815787
You must be thinking of someone else. I am not a farmer.

>> No.2815847

>>2811245
The Fall was breddy good, at least it wasn't a monochrome story about a child

>> No.2816095
File: 11 KB, 140x140, 20-06-04-MI1_Character_Captain_Smirk.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2815804
>>2815804
I can see we've got a lot of work to do here.

I loved the swordfighting, but I was a bit dissapointed there was nothing of the sort in MI2. It must have been amazing back in its day. The next ones revisit it, right?

>> No.2816127

>>2816095
Curse and Escape and Tales all do it. Escape and Tales really shoe horns it in there. Curse does it well. They streamline it pretty well in Tales so it doesn't stay too long.

>> No.2816129

>>2815787
You're no match for my brains, you poor fool.

>> No.2816149

>>2808903
>this shit
What shit? The only part of that I didn't like was the timing window on some of the actions.

>>2808942
>I'm bad at puzzles, so that makes the puzzles bad and the whole game sucks
Bad puzzles exist, but have some humility about the things you can't figure out, and don't exaggerate like a retard.

>> No.2816156

>>2816095
>I was disappointed when the game didn't retread the same familiar jokes I'm comfortable with
One of the reasons MI2 is a great sequel is because it DIDN'T do lazy shit like that.

>> No.2816163

>>2809827
>We can't go dere, mon. That's de forbidden elliptic hyperboloid!

Also, I don't think you have to worry about "shilling" when you link to UHS. Most of the stuff on there is free.

>> No.2816171

>>2809441
>I don't know anything about this subject but that sounds impossible to figure out
modern babby mentality in a nutshell

>>2809454
I didn't mix a green drink on purpose, I experimented with the different drinks and listened to what Guybrush said about them. The color clue is there if you catch it, but there's also a backup hint, which is a perfectly acceptable way of designing a puzzle.

>> No.2816176

>>2809191
>>2809671
The monkey wrench and picking up the dog, I think, are the worst bits in the game. I figured out both by myself through persistence, but I interpreted Guybrush's smug grin when he picks up the dog as "Yeah, I know this is bullshit." Those problems aside, you still have 98% of a good game.

>> No.2816280
File: 386 KB, 600x450, CTqyMqVWoAAEMO5.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2816176
> I interpreted Guybrush's smug grin when he picks up the dog as "Yeah, I know this is bullshit."
Oh fuck, he's got that grin when he pulls out Mojo too. I didn't make that connection, maybe Gilbert knew he was being a dick. And yes, it was a pretty good game. I can't really complain about much about it other than the somewhat slow pace Lucasarts adventure games have and how cryptic or nonsensical some of these things are. I really enjoyed it, these games are being a very fun thing to discover for me and this was definitely one of the best ones I've played so far.

>>2816163
Dread was hilarious, but his face on the original version scared me. He doesn't look bored and with his eyes closed: he looks like a lifeless alien, even when he opens his eyes, I can never unsee his closed pupils as big bug eyes. Good thing he's almost always turned.

>> No.2816405

>>2816156
Rather than the jokes themselves, what I was expecting was a similar mechanic but better. That was one my favorite parts about MI1, you have to go around learning insults on your own and when to use them, in two different manners. It felt great. And it was funny. That's why I said "nothing of the sort" and "revisit", instead of "came back" or whatever. I still adored MI2 for what it is.

>> No.2817532

>>2809173
Wow, I never knew the wind had anything to do with it. I thought you had to guess-and-check the right combination of spit-noises to make in the dialogue tree.

>> No.2817534

When I was small my sister had an Amiga 500+ with a 1mb RAM upgrade.

I don't think I ever finished any Amiga games, they were either hard or I was just a tiny retard.

Top 3 Amiga games:

Theme Park
Waxworks
Dreamweb

>> No.2817540

>>2817534

Fuck, wrong thread.

Look mum! I AM a total fucking autist.

>> No.2817553

I'm gonna play Kings Quest 6 soon, I hear it's the best one, is there any bullshit I should know about? Like making the game unwinnable if you don't throw an old shoe at a cat within a timeframe of three seconds?

Also, can I expect more awesome ant bros?
https://youtu.be/IjWZ7FAsYHk

>> No.2819191
File: 3 KB, 130x148, char_93654_thumb.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2817553
I second this question. It's the next adventure game I'm gonna play, and watching my brother play 14 years ago was the reason I became interested in them in the first place. It's the best KQ game, right?

Also anon, how did you like KQ5? I thought it looked and sounded amazing, and the world was fun to explore, but it was so chock full of bullshit moments it made me groan. There's like five labyrinths in the game, come on. It's my less favorite KQ game so far. 4 didn't have this much bullshit.

Still, it's KQ, and I can't stay mad at something this twee.