[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 46 KB, 225x225, [I AM A ROBOT].gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2803204 No.2803204 [Reply] [Original]

What are some good point and click games /vr/?

>> No.2803215

Maniac Mansion is just really great

>> No.2803227

Full Throttle

>> No.2803231

>>2803204
the monkey island games
clocktower for the SNES and for the PS1

>> No.2803243

Grim Fandango. It doesn't have the the point and click interface, but it's otherwise very much like the older Lucas Arts games.

>> No.2805673
File: 18 KB, 480x300, 68505-TheNeverhood.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This.

>> No.2806067

>>2803243
first time playing it (remastered version, bought on steam sale last week) and its actually the first retro point & click ive played, the others being more recent indie ones like machinarium and such. im absolutely in love with grim fandango though, any recommendations after im done with it?

>> No.2806070

>>2803227
This was pretty good. I thought it was hard af at the bunny bomb part though.

>> No.2806075

what do you guys consider good point & click game design? im kind of a gameplay over story-purist and compared to more "pure" puzzle games like tetris and whatnot, these games rarely amount to anything more than clicking on everything and solving riddles gameplay-wise, yet im drawn to them and cant stop playing, i just cant put my finger on exactly what it is about them that drives me.

>> No.2806091

Does Clock Tower on the SNES count? its enjoyable

>> No.2806101

>>2806075
I don't even like these games, I like it when they provide other things for you to do when you get stuck. Like the computer in Snatcher, the multiple characters in Day of the Tentacle, the minigames in Full Throttle. If I get stuck, I just like to free roam for a while and hopefully I'll come across a new item, hint or possible solution.

>> No.2806267

Sam and Max Hit the Road is fantastic.

I also like the Telltale Games series but a) not retro, and b) it takes until the second season to get good.

>> No.2806325

>>2806075
Tetris isn't a puzzle game in the same sense of adventure game puzzles though. You don't start a game of Tetris looking at it as a problem you have to find the solution to (well, unless it's a special mode).

Good puzzle design is way too broad a topic to post about here, but I think people sell these games short by only thinking of the bad examples and not giving credit for the truly clever (and fair and logical) puzzles they do have. I have certainly done my share of frustrated click-on-everything and use-everything-with-everything flailing, but I have also had a lot of "Aha!" moments where pieces come together and it clicks and makes sense.

Ron Gilbert's 1989 "Why Adventure Games Suck" list remains a pretty good list of puzzle design maxims--I wouldn't say any of them are ironclad rules, and he has broken them himself many times, but most people can agree that following them leads to "more fair" territory even if it's okay to be cruel now and then.

>> No.2806343

kings quest 3 - good
space quest - suppose to be good, but never played it.
police quest - played couple minutes but seemed good.
monkey island - suppose to be good
willy blemish - good
beneath a steel sky - suppose to be good
dejavu(amiga,c64) - good
sam & max - supose to be good
gemini rue - supose ect.
day of the tentacle - supose

>> No.2806481
File: 79 KB, 390x530, beavis_and_butt_head_in_virtual_stupidity_box_front.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.2806524

Gabriel Knight is pretty great, you just have to prepare yourself for some classic Sierra logic in the puzzles. Even the FMV sequel is pretty decent.