[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 109 KB, 444x444, 258qrHe.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2802297 No.2802297[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

>friends are all playing Destiny and nothing but Destiny
>bro who used to go on retro collecting adventures with me back in high school now says there's no point and I should just get a PS4
>co-workers asking "how you liking fallout 4?" and I have to explain (with much spaghetti) that I haven't ever played a fallout game before
>girlfriend tries playing super Nintendo for ten minutes and just gets frustrated
>tfw friends come over and the only game I own that they want to play is smash bros

At least I have you, /vr/. If only there was some way to play retro hardware online.

>> No.2802303

You sound super shitty. You have a bunch of friends playing a game, and you can only complain that they don't want to play what you want to play.

>> No.2802304

I unfortunately know that feel bro.

>> No.2802305

>>2802297
>2015
>only collecting retro

Bro please.
Retro is fun and all but if its all you play then you're going to be out of touch.

Play some new stuff sometime faggot.

>> No.2802310

that's what you get for not being a agoraphobic neet op

>> No.2802317

>>2802305

Problem isn't modern games, problem is shitty modern games like Fallout 4 and Destiny.

OP, it's normal. It happened to me back in the early 00s when I was a teen, most of my friends whom I used to play lots of variated vidya with one day became all addicted to Counter-Strike and ONLY Counter-Strike, they wouldn't play anything else.

The solution? find new friends.

>> No.2802336

>>2802317
>problem is shitty modern games

This so hard. (not op) I do own current gen consoles and handhelds, but with a small collection of games that are just not popular enough for the average casual to care. I know this technically isn't retro, but do you have a PS2, OP? If the main people you game with atm had any type of childhood, you could get lucky with Timesplitters or something.

>> No.2802351

>>2802336
I play new stuff too but it's typically stuff they aren't into. I been trying to get them on the monster hunter train for a while but nobody wants any part of that, usually saying the graphics are too bad. Very rarely I'll get them to enjoy something that isn't flavor of the month FPS, the last time I can remember is when we all played gauntlet legends on 64. I don't mind new stuff, just not FPS because I suck at them and that's really all they play.

>> No.2802362

>I have to explain (with much spaghetti) that I haven't ever played a fallout game before
Why? 1+2 are /vr/ related, and really fun.
Also, fuck what everyone says and start with the GOG version of FO1. Pirate it if you didn't get it for free last year.

>>2802351
>I play new stuff too but it's typically stuff they aren't into.
Xbox+Halo 1 Co-op. Any FPS game with a co-op campaign really, but Halo 1 is my personal favorite. As to being shit or not, as long as you're not competing against them it'll be fine (thus why I suggested co-op).

>> No.2802363

>>2802303
It doesn't sound like he was complaining, and it's not his fault he prefers retro games. I'm in the same boat as OP here

>> No.2802367

>>2802297
Dunno man, I main /vr/ and I still really enjoy Destiny on Xbone.

>>2802317
Destiny is a pretty good game. Took a while to get into a proper swing, but it is a good time overall.

>> No.2802390

Same. All this talk of new games and I haven't even bought a next gen console yet while I'm sitting along playing Dreamcast by myself

>> No.2802392

>>2802317
>Fallout 4
>Shitty

You guys sure like to complain.
I'm 15 hours in and loving it.

>> No.2802394

I don't support shitty devs or practices so I don't buy much new games these days.

>> No.2802395
File: 40 KB, 400x402, 1447785110821.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Just accept that you're better than everyone else and get on with life.

>> No.2802417

>>2802395
>you're just jealous
>denial
>coping mechanism

>> No.2802426

>>2802367
>>2802392

okay, maybe not shit games, but they're pretty meh, or at least definitely not worth of all the praise and attention they get.
Marketing is a wonderful thing.

>> No.2802450

>>2802297

Sucks to be you.

>> No.2802453

>>2802297

ditch the girl and move to a 3rd world country.

>> No.2802454

>>2802297
Fallout is an insanely highly anticipated game with artificially inflated hype levels due to an abrupt announcement, and it literally just came out. Of course all your friends are freaking out over it.

I'll totally play Mario Party 2 online with you if you're up for it. Don't know how it's done, but I will.

>> No.2802458

>>2802392
>dialogue wheels
>all that FO1+2 lore tossed down the drain
>easteregg memes made canon
>annoying voiced protag
>built in real time settler
>dumbed down rpg mechanics for all the teenagers/dudebros
I could go on, but I'd have to make multiple posts.

>> No.2802471

>>2802297
I don't have friends to play Destiny, that's why I stopped playing it. I started working on my /vr/ backlog because I a lonely piece of shit.

>> No.2802496

It sounds like you have really shitty friends, OP. Fuck'em and get new ones.

Your girlfriend, on the other hand, gets a free pass because you DO fuck 'er.

>> No.2802510

Games are cool and there's nothing wrong with enjoying them, but try to branch out and enjoy things your friends are clearly having fun with, too. Go read a book, or invite people over to watch movies or something. Do other shit with your time, because there's nothing more boring in this world than an awkward guy who's one and only interest in life is a niche type of video game.

>> No.2802513

I pretty much only play older games and modern Nintendo games. I don't really have too many friends so it really isn't an issue, but at least one friend of mine who is probably one of the most into videogames seems to have somewhat similar interests so it works out.

>> No.2802553

>>2802297
That's some tough shit bro, I feel bad for you.

>Friend and I grew up together
>He was rich so he had all the consoles and had them first
>went over for years playing his N64 first, his Saturn first
>Mario Party, figuring out Mr. Bones, Virtua Cop with only controllers, etc
>years later
>I was borrowing his old Saturn
>I ask if I can borrow the rest of his games
>He's sitting playing Halo, doesn't even remember which games I'm talking about
>Ask when he wants it back
>Says it doesn't matter

That's the story of how I got my Saturn. Good for me, but bittersweet.

>> No.2802581

>>2802297
>If only
If only. Too bad your imaginary gf doesn't know about playing online

>> No.2802587

I can relate with OP. Maybe I'm just a nostalgia fag but it's hard for me personally to jump on the hype of new games anymore. I got super into Destiny after Taken King but now that I finished all the story stuff I just don't care about it anymore. I prefer some split screen with some homies more than any competitive focused bullshit they push on us nowadays.

>> No.2802596

>>2802471
>used to play Destiny at any free point after work with two close friends
>Taken King comes out with a price tag of $70 because lol Australia
>tell them that the price is steep but there isn't anything else and that they'll easily get the hours out of it if we play together
>they reluctantly buy it and complain about fucking everything
>they say it was too short but never bothered to finish the full game
>suddenly no one to play with so I get burnt out after KF HM
>meanwhile they jerk each other off over their recent $150 Halo 5 purchase which they played for literally one day amd never touched again
And that's the blog post about why I'm deciding to play either the first SMT or Ultima.

>> No.2802656

>people on /vr/
>played destiny
>playing fallout 4
>>>/r/gaming is that way, thanks

>> No.2802679

Similar boat OP, I own all 3 fucking current-gen systems and a fairly beefy PC yet I routinely find myself playing older games.

Hell, even 7th-gen games are more fun than what we've got now. It's like ever since the 5th gen games have been progressively getting less "fun" each generation. When I play modern games on, say, a PS4, after playing for a little while I stop because I'm just pressing buttons but there's no enjoyment. Yet shit like Fallout 2 keeps me entertained for hours.