[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 26 KB, 282x218, Fablebox.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2796461 No.2796461 [Reply] [Original]

How the hell am I supposed to play this game if I can't get power armor? If I tell a random guy to fuck off then I can't get radaway and I can't survive most encounters without powerarmor. How the fuck is this even fair? It's complete bullshit.

>> No.2796480

>>2796461
Ok fuck the OP i have a question.

If I am going to start playing the original fallout is there anything I should know, or is it intuitive enough that I can be successful playing blind?

>> No.2796484
File: 28 KB, 500x375, 1385692568464.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

pfft, kids these days
It's called trying harder, now start a new game, make the character suck less this time and learn from your mistakes, make multiple saves in case you're retarded again. If you go to youtube for help you're a fucking 13 year old. That simple.
Get back in thar!!!

>> No.2796489

come on, it's a game FOR GAMERS, BY GAMERS. You shouldn't have problems with it if you're a true GAMER

>> No.2796516

>>2796489
Modern "gamers" aren't gamers.

They're whiny entitled little shits that like artifical difficulty shit they can OCD over than games that require thought, planning, and actual skill.

>> No.2796526

>>2796516
like that kid in that other thread who was insisting that easy mode counts for speed runs

>> No.2796529

>>2796480

It depends entirely on how well you can manage without a system to document your objectives, important people, directions, or quests. It's going to suck if you have poor reading comprehension

>>2796516

He was shitting on the very attitude you're displaying, retard.

>> No.2796535

>>2796480
de-crank your intelligence to 1 and shove it all into luck. Trust me.

>> No.2796538

>>2796516
"modern gamers are shit and have no taste for the classics those born in the 90's could only enjoy"
>tips fedora

>> No.2796545

>>2796538
that's not fedora tipping, he's generally right. Watch the South Park episode with pewdiepie(i know, I hate that he was actually on it) the way the kindergartners are is exactly what most younger "gamers" are like, they watch some asshole faggot on youtube and think they know something

>> No.2796549

>>2796480
You should be fine. Fallout is one of the easier CRPGs to get into because everything is really self explanatory. There's not much you need to learn when looking at the SPECIAL or skills stats and the perks have descriptions on what they exactly do. Like the only thing I'd probably recommend not doing is putting points into the trap skill.

>> No.2796562

>>2796516
>artificial difficulty

That's just a stupid buzzword for people who are too insecure to admit they got their ass kicked so they gotta stop coming up with bullshit reasoning why it's the game's fault they suck and not theirs. If you spent as much time you do playing as you did whining then maybe you'd actually acquire skill.

>> No.2796595

>>2796480
CHA is somewhat useless depending. INT and AGI are good. Focus on a weapon type and speech probably. Those are good general tips for pretty much any of the Fallout games, even the non-retro ones. At least for first runs. After that, you can do your full-retard, no INT, throwing only runs for shits and giggles.

>> No.2796603

I feel bad for people who are afraid to just enter a game and fuck up a lot learning something that works. All you can lose is your time and saves will reduce that and you're indulging a hobby for entertainment so I assume you've got time to burn.

When I played Arcanum for the *very first* time it took me a ridiculous amount of rerolls and attempts to clear the first few bits because Lukan and his ogre goons were a pretty rough early fight. Doing so taught me the pros and cons of various builds(magic, tech, melee, throwing, gunslinger, etc), how to most effectively use companions and certain spells, how to game the combat system and how indepth the first town actually was, there being enough quests to get you a few levels to smooth it out if you want to fight and being about 4+ different ways to deal with the fight aside from fighting.

>> No.2796775

>>2796603
>all you can lose are precious moments of your life that you will never gain back

And no smart ass just because it's a small amount of time doesn't mean it's acceptable. You start adding up every "small" waste and suddenly you've lost months if not YEARS of your life. NO THANKS BUD!

>> No.2797042

>>2796480
>or is it intuitive enough that I can be successful playing blind?
there's a youtube streamer called sips, who is a bit of a dumbass (speaking as a fan here), and even he managed to stumble his way blind through the game. with a relatively difficult character build too. if he can do it I'm sure almost anybody can.

If I could give some advice for a first playthrough I guess one bit would be not to dump INT. Retard-speak is a pretty funny gimmick but you miss out on a ton of quests and dialogue, and if you want to go back for them you have to tediously keep popping mentats. Also there are no autosaves so save early and often. Take a weapon skill for your first run through, save the no-kills diplomancer run for a 2nd playthrough. If you want to save your sanity, crank the speed up in the options menu.

>> No.2797250

>>2796480
The combat REALLY sucks in old Fallout, be prepared for this.

>> No.2797258
File: 32 KB, 194x300, grumpy-faggot.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2796516
Congratulations, you've become your own grampa.

Is this what you wanted?

>> No.2797295

>>2797250
Does it?

Fallout 1&2 combat is classic turn based combat. It's arguably a bit slow but it's mechanically sound.

The combat in FO3 is awful, guns feel like shit and shoehorning VATS into an FPS is ridiculous

>> No.2797306

>>2796526
No one gives a fuck about your wolfenstein 3D speedrun, grow the fuck up.

>> No.2797365

>>2797295
I kind of liked the idea of VATS, but the combat was bullshit and chips in FO3, I'll fully agree, sights were basically worthless (pistols and assaultrifles would spread a lot no matter what). Honestly, everything but exploring and fucking around was kind of bland or shitty in FO3.

New Vegas mostly fixes it in my opinion.

Really, I just don't like the kind of turnbased combat FO1/2 did, felt clunky, that I had to use drop-down menus.
I much more liked it in Baldur's Gate where it was basically real-time with a pause-button, or in Tactics where you could play it in full real-time.