[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 17 KB, 300x225, thH10Z266U.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2794390 No.2794390 [Reply] [Original]

>entire plot is just the convoluted scheme of some old omnipotent faggot
>will never live up to it's predecessor
>dat music and visual design tho!

Is this the Star Wars prequel of video games?

Is this the

>> No.2794948

>>2794390
>Is this the Star Wars prequel of video games?
No, because people didn't circle jerk over the prequels at the time of release.

>> No.2794960
File: 82 KB, 742x309, rots.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2794948
Clone Wars and Revenge of the Sith had positive critical reception, though. Looking back its amazing how easily impressed they were by effects that have aged so poorly.

>> No.2795215 [SPOILER] 
File: 204 KB, 500x659, 1447526417419.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Best girl

>> No.2795237

>>2794960
I said "circlejerk". Chrono Cross got overwhelmingly positive reviews. Rotten Tomatoes is simply an aggregate of "favorable/unfavorable" litmus tests, and even by your own pic, the general public barely liked it.

>> No.2795262

I never liked CT, even back in the 90s. And I did everything there was to do in it. That said, I didn't think it was a particularly ambitious game or good at all. Just a bit above so-so. Not bad, by any means.
Then CC came along. It tried to do something different but ultimately failed to raise the already low standards set by its predecessor. As such, the Chrono series is, by far, the most overhyped and unimpressive series from Square that yielded nothing but two mediocre games and a bunch of hype from DB fans.

To its credit, at least CT didn't use that overused "lol, can't remember!" trope.
FF2: Guy has amnesia.
FF3 (remake): everyone has amnesia.
FF4: Kain and Yang get amnesia and Cecil has no idea of anything in his life prior to being a dark knight (kinda like amnesia)
FF5: Galuf has amnesia.
FF6: Terra has amnesia.
FF7: Cloud has amnesia.
FF8: Everyone but Irving has amnesia.
FF9: Zidane has amnesia.
Don't know anything about any FF games thereafter because I've never played much of anything non-/vr/.

The only reason FF1 (and the original FF3) didn't have this trope is because the party had no backstory.

Anyway, back to CT:
>but m-muh no random battles!!
This is nothing to be proud of since it has something worse: a series of twelve unavoidable battles because you walked into a fucking hallway. You can't even use a GG or PAR to put it a "no random battles" code to avoid them. Fuck that.

>but m-muh multi techs!
Complete waste of anything. Entirely useless. So let me get this straight: you want to use three character turns to cast a spell that's not as powerful as three spells casted individually? Four watt porpoise?

>but m-muh characters!
The ones that have no progression whatsoever (outside of Robo)? Progressing the story happens, but the characters have the same outlook on everything from beginning to end. Except Robo. He's the only one who grew as a character or experienced any personal change. No: Frog did not. Nor did Magus.

>> No.2795269

>>2795262
>guy had amnesia
Oops. Sorry, it was Leon who had it, not Guy. Meep.

>> No.2795272

Chrono Cross is such a funny game, it's like the easiest way to identify somebody that grew up specifically on a Playstation-oriented childhood, possibly derived from SEGA consoles.

Chrono fans always say it's the worst game between it and Trigger, but every person I've met that romanticized this game did not give a shit about Nintendo, and I've wondered if there's some in-universe explanation about that.

Every nigga I met that really liked this game was a Sony fanboy, or enjoyed niche games and didn't care about Nintendo despite the series originating on a Nintendo system, and i'm pretty sure Trigger still had a rerelease on PS1.

I dunno why I'm even saying this shit cause it's not negative, but I find the fandom of this game kinda fascinating I guess. It's the same type of people I've met all the time.

>> No.2795313

>>2795272
You might be on to something. You just described me spot-fucking-on.
>Sega kid early on
>PS1-PS2 throughout adolescence
>never really cared about Nintendo, or mainstream games in general

>> No.2795360

>>2795262
>No progression whatsoever

Well Marle reconciled with her father, that's progression.

I am not disagreeing with you anyway, your criticism is spot on, I still love that game despite all its flaws though.

>> No.2795412

>>2795360
She's the same before as she is after that, though, no different than the Frog-and-the-medallion and Frog-and-the-masamune arcs. Nothing learned. Nothing gained. No change in outlook. Nothing.
Exactly the same.

>> No.2796059
File: 57 KB, 666x630, 1446667993962.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2794960
Though Jar Jar Binks is annoying, The Phantom Menace is a much better Star Wars movie than the other two. It had a bad ass and memorable villain, had at least some adventure from going to the underwater village, to going to Tatooine, and it didn't soil the image of Darth Vader.

Instead people somehow like the other two which had plenty of dull "political" scenes which doesn't fit at all because the original trilogy had more of a tall tale/folklore type of feel to them which is absent of Episode 2 and 3.

>> No.2796575

>>2795262
>>2795412
I never got why people believe that characters must become something completely different to be considered good.

>> No.2796637

I like Chrono Trigger AND Chrono Cross.

>> No.2796663

>>2796575
it's not about becoming something completely different it's about becoming a realistic character. it's about addressing problems at the core of the characters being rather than the symptoms of the problem.
>urg bad guys are bad, killing them gives me satisfaction
vs
>i never knew (insert important figure here) because [lead bad guy] killed/influenced life in such a manner as to be the cause of said person's death.
>by stopping this antagonist i can find closure for my loss and prevent others from suffering as i have

>> No.2796674

>>2796637
This is the correct outlook.

>> No.2796762

>>2795272

I really liked the atmosphere of the game, same reason I enjoyed legend of mana.

These were both on par with SMRPG and CT to me as far as where the game world took you.

SMRPG being my favorite game BECAUSE it's easy and replayable once a year without much of a time investment.

Had both a sega and snes, loved them both.

>> No.2796803

I know it's been said a million times, but it's ridiculous how it's supposed to connect with Trigger. Most of the stuff is just described in text and not actually seen: the Reptites are name-dropped toward the end and are apparently a major factor in the plot, Kid is somehow supposed to be Schala except she acts totally different and has no memory so it's like, what's even the point of being reincarnated. Even the OC-do-not-steal main character's plot is a little ridiculous, he got attacked by a panther demon that was actually his dad being controlled by a computer??

Also that nonsensical, pretentious text-dump at the end about inseminating the planet.

The stuff about the alternate timeline where Lavos destroyed the world was pretty cool and relevant, too bad the game didn't focus on it. Even when the old characters show up, they look like retarded midgets.

It does have nice atmosphere and music, and it was fun enough. That fucking music is so good I never fail to get feels.

>> No.2796831

>>2796803
Pretty much.

Mostly I hated it because the story is so heavy handed in some parts and so light in others. It also loses focus because your objectives are constantly changing without really knowing the end game.

CT you knew the endgame was to take out Lavos. Most of what you're doing directly relates to that, or is circumstantial/accidental like jumping into 2 gates to 600AD and 2300AD.

Everything after:

>Getting the masamune to fight Magus
Why? Because Magus was said to have Summoned Lavos so that was a presumed opportunity to kill him.
>Zeal has a connection to Lavos
>Kicked out of Zeal so go to the future to find a time machine to go back to zeal

Theres very little "fluff" in the plot, and most of it is related to Ayla's time period because its basically pre-Lavos, but we see its significant because her time period is when Lavos first lands.

CT is also very short, at around 12-15 hours. CC is much longer to its detriment.

CC jumps around like crazy, makes you make unimportant story decisions (SAVE KID, DON'T SAVE KID) which don't fucking matter in the slightest. Fill up the roster with dozens of overly designed characters when all they really needed was a tighter roster of 1 MAYBE 2 of each colour element.

>> No.2796846

>>2796831
Yeah, that's all true too. Why all the pointless party members? They even have characters that appear to be related to Frog, Ayla, and Magus, but they're just there as throwbacks.

>> No.2796848

WHAT KIND OF THREAD IS THIS, PREQUEL STAR WARS OR CHRONO CHROSS?

>> No.2797062

>>2796663
>it's not about becoming something completely different
Yet that is the consistent complaint I see all the time. If you want to complain that characters don't have facets, then complain about the lack of facets, not whether a character changed or not.

Anyways, going by your template Marle is
>I never knew father was so strict because his advisor was a monster and because he became protective after Magus's forces took her hostage
or
>I'm running away from responsibilities of nobility yet doing everything to inspire future hobos to take care of themselves and fix things around the timeline before finally returning to the present to address the family life.

She gets protective when another character is in trouble and she despairs when Crono dies. But her outlook is optimism because saving the future and giving hope to the past is what the entire game is about. How would you change her outlook without disrupting the overall themes? Or anyone's? Maybe Frog and Magus seem trite by today but their interplaying stories are nuanced enough and the way that they are told though time travel is perfect.

The nice thing about CT characters is that the game presents stuff like that in a way without spelling it out obtrusively. There is a fantastic simplicity about them, though if you need long monologues about feelings and motivations every other scene with cliff notes it might feel lacking. But in a video game with detailed character animations (for 90's)and distinctive battle styles I think there is enough to get the quirks across.

Chono Cross has a similar but weaker simplicity but its true problem is relevance. Time traveling with Hitler (Magus) is much more notable and impactful than dimension hopping with a random African warlord (Viper and friends) even though Viper has more technical details.

>> No.2797076

>triggerniggers

>> No.2797112
File: 45 KB, 800x600, Harle.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2795272
Is the general opinion that CC was bad?

I had a NES and GBC growing up, saved up for a PS1 later, I'll tell you what CC was for me

I didn't know it was even remotely related to trigger, had no internet and the story didn't show much connection so I treated it as stand alone.

I liked the battle system and the option to risk missing for stronger attacks. As soon as that first cutscene with the tidal wave happened and you wake up in another world where everyone treated you as dead I was hooked.

Story kept me asking questions and always felt like a dream like state. I think the music helped project that feeling a lot.

Like you remember the viper manor incident? I had no idea what happened there at first, but it felt like shit had hit the fan, and now I was waking up from a bad dream.

Then later when you become lynx, that whole sequence was crazy. Then you wake up in a strange world with Harle (best girl) that left me almost sure my game disc was messed up due to all the weird colors and textures.

Everything felt like a dream, and then you make your way to the sea. That section, oh man. It was haunting for me as a kid. Seeing all of those buildings swallowed up and trapped in time.

Learning about the dead futures that occur from every choice. Learning about the fates intervention to maintain everyones lives and keep them on the same path.

Speaking of which, the fates boss was terribly creepy looking, and had some of the best music in the game IMO.

Anyway, the story was definitely confusing, I've since read up on most of it years later. But I had always just assumed the game was meant to take you on an audio/visual journey that left you feeling like you were dreaming. As a result I had a really good experience

>> No.2797162

>>2794390
I liked it

The map was comfy albeit half the size it should have been since it never included Porre or other places

The soundtrack is ridiculously comfy.

It's just a comfy game. I don't try to associate it with CT and just see it as a stand-alone game with a loose association to CT.

>> No.2797169

>>2795215
You're absolutely right.

>> No.2797173

This game is 100% worth playing for its graphics, music and atmosphere alone.
Like holy shit it is some of the most beautiful and immersive shit I've seen in a video game, ever.

Gameplay is pointless. The system looks like it could be interesting, except it's all rendered moot by how easy the game is. You're better off spamming attack3 for the entire game. That will make you win 99% of battles without having to worry about anything. Only two bosses pose a threat.

As for story, the problem isn't so much the story itself but the storytelling, which is basically leaving the player in the mist for 30 hours with just bits and hints; until you have a 30mins long monologue that sounds like you're reading a summary of the story you should have been experienced the whole time. It's that bad.

>> No.2797203

>>2797112
>Is the general opinion that CC was bad?
no, people here are just edgy faggots

>> No.2797291

>>2797173

It had very good graphics for a PS1 RPG. It really shows that it came at the tail end of the PS1 era.

>> No.2797336

>>2794390
>Is this the Star Wars prequel of video games?
Now that you say it, it kinda is, DS CT additional dongeon is like Hayden Christensen ghost in RotJ, forced retcon

>> No.2797390
File: 618 KB, 480x640, 140.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2797112
Why is she so much better than Kid?

Also the marbule ending is the canon ending

>> No.2797903

>>2797173
>better off spamming attack3

This, you can beat the game literally without ever once using offensive magic

>> No.2797917

>>2797173
Do you ever get sick of posting the same incorrect shit over and over again?

>> No.2797992
File: 44 KB, 260x650, ugly straw doll.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2794390
>will never live up to it's predecessor

No reason to. It surpassed it in every way possible. People that don't understand what Cross is really about deserve nothing but pity. Maybe they'll understand one day, when they're a bit more grown up.

>> No.2798000

>>2797992
Yeah, people who hate Cross are just paraphrasing youtube celebs.

>> No.2798007

>>2797992
>You just don't understaaaaand.
I like CC, but it's no CT in terms of quality. It fails to do in 40 hours in CT managed to do in under 20.

>> No.2798015

My Playstation and all my games were all stolen around the time Chrono Cross came out so I never got a chance to play it.

>> No.2798026

>>2798007
>It fails to do in 40 hours in CT managed to do in under 20.

Be a shitty game?

>> No.2798036
File: 8 KB, 256x224, CT fags.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>CC is shit because it isn't a carbon copy of CT!

I'm glad I played CC first and CT afterwards and as a result am able to enjoy both games for what they are instead of being one of these retards.

>> No.2798062

>>2798026
i know right?! even halo story was better

>> No.2798368

>>2798000
>just paraphrasing youtube celebs
Hoo boy, look at this babby faggot. The e-celeb movement spurred the clueless into enlarging the ranks of those who like CT, not hating CC, which is a thing older than YouTube itself.

>> No.2798380

>>2798000
Dawg, I've been shitting on Cross since before I even had internet service.

>> No.2798397

>>2797173
And we're done here.

>> No.2798405

>>2798368
You're just a filthy Milena angry because people downvoted your AVGN ripoff.

>> No.2798427

Not once since the game came out has there been any animosity against it larger than a very small, very vocal group of idiots.

It's hilarious how fixated they are on the two-dimensional Trigger cast, how butthurt they are being told that their time fuckery had negative consequences, how incapable of grasping even the most basic plot points of Cross. It's like they stopped growing mentally when Trigger came out.

>> No.2798897

>>2798427
>I can't think for myself and have to copy-paste the same unfounded shit that's already been spewed on this board ad nauseam

Here's a tip: when you want to assert that it's only a "very minor" group that holds an opinion opposite yours, pay attention to the thread stats and keep track of how many posts don't agree with your opinion.

>> No.2798908

>>2798427
>>2798897
ur both fags lmao

>> No.2798910 [DELETED] 

http://venturebeat.com/community/2012/01/25/chrono-cross-a-mess-of-unimpressive-gameplay-laughably-bad-storytelling/

pretty much sums up why cc was garbage

>> No.2798927

>>2798910
>battle system is bad because any amount of depth that needs experimenting is bad
I know that babies need their attacks/spells named fire1/2/3 to not be confused but this is ridiculous. It's the same type of retards that shit on Vagrant Story's weapon system.

>> No.2798931 [DELETED] 

>>2798927
The magic system in CC was shit because it turned spells that drained mana into items. Also, combo techs became useless and sparse, unlike in CT where it was cool.

Attacking was shit, too. There's no reason you have to pick 3 different types of attacks when you could just pick one attack to get the job done like in CT. Biggest problem with CC was bloat. Everything had too much shit going on that wasn't worth using or being there at all, from the story to the battle engine.

>> No.2798936

>>2798931
The only problem with the battle system is that CC is easy so you don't have to exploit. If it had a higher difficulty mode it would be a perfect system devoid of shitty jrpg grinding and levels Also the CT comobs weren't cool nor useful.

>> No.2799091

>>2798936
If CC had actual difficulty, 90% of CC's cast being utter shit while 5% of them blow the game wide open would become a serious issue and not something that makes the game broken.

>> No.2799138

>Serge
>Kid
>Karsh
>Glenn
>Fargo
>Norris
>maybe Harle

Did anyone end the game with any different characters? 40+ options, and everyone I've ever talked all used the same people.

>> No.2799158
File: 94 KB, 493x410, 1437208497053.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2799138
Janice, Mel, Orhla, Razzly, Pip, Sprigg. I never used Karsh, Glenn, or Norris except to try them out. Boring fags.

>> No.2799163
File: 23 KB, 450x338, 1181683465838.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2798910
>story isn't terribly difficult to follow or understand
>But the planet — or Lavos, I don't know AAAARGH MY BRAIN GAWD

>Dragon God, who may or may not be the Time Devourer — excuse me as I smash my face into a wall repeatedly

>grind their way to overlevelling content and physically attacking their way to victory.
>accidently choose the Run Away option

Triggerniggers never fail to embarrass themselves

>> No.2799175
File: 55 KB, 960x720, 1437723040392.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2795262
The only thing wrong with this post is that Leon was actually brainwashed.
>>2798910
>When used correctly (see: Inception), ambiguity fleshes out a narrative, adding intrigue and promoting thoughtful interpretation.
HAHAHAHAHA what?
>unconventional boss encounters
>Trigger
The hypocrisy is palpable.
>Unfortunately, it ends up being unintuitive and the not-in-the-good-way sort of challenging, forcing players to either irritatingly study the various entwined mechanics or just grind their way to overlevelling content and physically attacking their way to victory.
>Grinding
>in Cross
>>>/trash/
This is exactly what's wrong with zelaous Trigger fans criticizing a game they can't even manage to understand and spouting their hypocrisy to somehow convince people they're right.
>>2799138
Outside of Fargo who was my number one favorite character I used Greco a lot, Guile, Orlha, Radius, Zappa, Zoah, Starky, Sneff, Mojo and Skelly.
I didn't like Glenn or Norris, I hated Karsh with a passion.

>> No.2799184

>>2799138
Serge/Sprigg/Glenn. I occasionally used Pip and Fargo.

>> No.2799307

>>2798036
I played CC first and found CT very bland and boring. In fact without the fast forward function in ZSNES I probably wouldn't have ever finished it. I expected a mysterious journey but instead I got LOL HERE'S THIS SPACE HEDGEHOG GO BEAT HIM.

>> No.2799584
File: 185 KB, 500x375, lavos spawn.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.2799587

>>2799175
>grinding in cross
I think he's talking about the rainbow weapons and stealable summons.

>> No.2800448

>>2799175
>I hated Karsh with a passion.

This is heresy.

>> No.2800493

>>2794390
JRPGs of any kind or era are all trash garbage. Chrono Trigger is just as bad as this and all the others.

>> No.2800516 [DELETED] 

>>2800493
Here's your reply

>> No.2800794

>>2795262
Wait, what's going on? Why is nobody getting their panties in a twist at this guy for bashing their favorite game(s) and invoking Godwin's Law of JRPGs by deflecting criticism to FF7 or some other overly popular game? I thought this was 4chan, land of the retarded hipsters. Or is that just /v/?

>> No.2800934

>>2799138
I used Grobyc, Irenes, Guile, Steena, Orlha, and Miki fairly commonly. Then again, I didn't really care much for "optimizing" or any such in my first two plays. I just rolled with whoever I liked.

Norris was pretty cool by me, though.

>> No.2800937

If it had been it's own game, I'd have liked it a lot more. I'm just not happy with the fact that it took a big shit on Trigger's happy ending.

>> No.2800981

>>2794390
It really should have been it's own thing, the connections it had to Trigger did more harm than good.

>> No.2801054

>>2800937
>Trigger's happy ending

>Schala lost
>Robo may not even exist
>Doan goes off without a word, facing possible obliteration
>Crono and Marle float away with a bunch of balloons, potentially meeting a grisly end when the helium depletes
>your victory is built on the corpses of the rightful inhabitants of the world, the reptites

>> No.2801226

>>2800794
Because this anon actually constructed a real argument and did so without unnecessary vitriol. Silence in response is usually acknowledgement of a good point (though not necessarily agreement with said point).

>> No.2801256

>>2800794
Because he's baiting too hard. Silence just means nobody fell for the bait, nor does anybody give enough of a shit to take the bait and run with it.
Also:>>2801226 is totally not>>2795262

>> No.2801264

>>2795262
>but m-muh
>four watt porpoise
What a colossal faggot

>> No.2801431

>>2801264
>>2801256
>i have no applicable critique of >>2795262 so i'm just going to call him a faggot
You don't say.

>> No.2801485
File: 194 KB, 1334x750, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I liked this - in fact I finished it a few months ago just for fun - recently I was playing Barkley Gaiden and the shitty gas pump save point tries to convince me Chrono Cross has a good battle theme. It does not. It is discordant and confusing. Fuck that gas pump but it's a good game

>> No.2801494

I think Chrono Cross is proof that Masato Kato should never be left to do anything unsupervised.

Radical Dreamers was better.

>> No.2801510

As far as doing what it actually set out to do, I've always thought Trigger was the better game overall. But I've always...I guess repected(?) Cross because of how ambitious it was. I loved the ideas, but it's just such a flawed game.

As far as the actual gameplay goes, I like both for different reasons. I don't know what people mean when they say magic was useless in Cross, I was using it all the time when I played and I'm pretty sure I'd have died horribly if I did nothing but spam normal attacks. Trigger is definitely more polished though, as it is in general.

My favorite thing about Cross is how throughout the game I got this feeling there was this overall theme of humanity's worthiness to exist. The dream-like atmosphere people bring up really helps with it. Humanity fucks things up in the story constantly, they're the reason all the crazy time shit is even happening, and in the context of the game they're not even naturally occurring in the world. If humans are such a negative force, do they even "deserve" to exist? I dunno, maybe some of you think I'm spewing a lot of shit but I really feel like he was trying to get people to think about some big questions.

I really wish we could've seen what the "finished" Chrono Cross would've been, but god only knows how much money went into the development of the game until they jumped on Kato's ass and told him to just release the damn thing already- we all like to dream big but at the end of the day it's still his responsibility to make a complete game with the budget he was given.

>> No.2801525

>>2801510

Actually, they diverted Kato's funding to Final Fantasy VIII. Same with Xenogears. This is the lone factor that gives me any sympathy toward Kato vis-a-vis this game whatsoever: they fucked him over to finish yet another Final Fantasy and still couldn't even manage to do _that_ properly.

>> No.2801568

>>2796059
I felt like Episode 2 was far worse than either 1 or 3. I can't tell you what happened in that movie except that there was a scene in the stadium.

>> No.2801579

>>2801568

Look at the cut scenes- there's a _lot_ there that should have been left in to build character.

Whoever edited that (prolly Lucas) should've been beat to death with a a fucking golf club.

>> No.2801816

>>2801510
Agreed. Of the two, Trigger was better overall, but still not much above so-so, while I appreciate Cross for what it tried, but ultimately failed, to accomplish.

All the same, I detest the fandom for overlooking CT's glaring flaws whilst simultaneously exaggerating CC's.
While neither is a truly great RPG, CT is the superior, though flawed, one of the two and CC the more interesting (though annoyingly verbose and overstuffed) of them.

That's what I was trying to get at in >>2795262

>>2801264
Well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

>>2801256
'Bait' does not mean mean 'valid criticism.' >>2796831 is also a valid criticism, though of CC rather than CT. Both have flaws. Both have virtues. Neither is perfect. Neither even comes close. But of the two, CT is better, even if I personally don't like it much.

Now, just to show you what bait is, here's an example: >>2800493
See, one wouldn't bait a hook with a whale. He'd bait a hook with a tiny morsel, such as a minnow.

In this analogy a post with an honest explanation of a particular point-of-view is a whale and therefore not bait while a post which posits no explanation for its position and states that particular point in as incendiary a manner of which the poster is capable in an attempt to foster disorder is a minnow IE bait. An extremely incendiary post which explains its position would also be bait.

>> No.2801910

I loved the battle system and the OST is among the best I've ever heard (and probably will ever hear)

Also, I remember as a kid being impressed with Miguel's monologue, guess because I never thought about life in that way

I guess the story could've been paced better, and some characters could've been developed better

>> No.2802021 [DELETED] 
File: 23 KB, 300x225, xenogearscase.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Both Chrono games are fucking garbage compared to this masterpiece.

>> No.2802248
File: 67 KB, 500x494, 1443328888929.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2802021

>disc 2

no

>> No.2802253 [DELETED] 

>>2802248
Disc 2 was a dayum shame, but at least it didn't affect the story much.

>> No.2802284

>>2797112

And I think it's better for it as well. I played CT when it came out as a young kid, and I played CC when it came out as well.

I like CC because it's such a curious and dreamlike game. And the story, it's confusing but I felt in many ways it was more ambitious, and I enjoy the odd games that fail at ambition often times more than the more straightforward story done solidly.

>> No.2802879

>>2801431
>thinks his critique is worth anything more than a passing "faggot" remark.
Ayylmao

>> No.2802883

>>2801816
>honest explaination
Stopped reading right there,fàm.

>> No.2802884

>>2802021
>terrible pacing
>terrible battle system
>text overload
>terrible platforming
>high encounter rate
>no way to speed up text
>low enemy variety
>boring dungeon design
>OST doesn't even come close to CC's
>that entire disc 2

nah, xenogears is terrible

>> No.2802902

>>2801816
>Chrono Trigger
>Just so-so
>sold over a million on DS a decade after it's release
>Collectors willing to spend hundreds on a game that isn't remotely rare
>lauded as a classic the world over

I'd like to know what retro rpgs you do consider great.

>> No.2802908

>>2802902
Not even him but...
>>sold over a million on DS a decade after it's release
The average Pokemon outsells CT by a large margin in every department, so by your reasoning the average Pokemon must be tremendously better than CT.
>>Collectors willing to spend hundreds on a game that isn't remotely rare
Collectors spend hundreds for ego tripping and the sake of collecting, not for the inherent qualities of things.
>>lauded as a classic the world over
By people who don't know any better, much like the vast majority of fanbases and clueless people.

>> No.2802917

You should stop talking shit about General "I use a hook sword because I can" Viper before I come there and slap a bitch.

>> No.2802918

>>2802908
Pokemon is front loaded as hell, my point was Chrono still sold well after it's initial release 10 years earlier on SNES/SFC.

>Collectors spen hundreds for ego tripping
Bullshit, people don't drop that kind of dosh on trash or so so games that aren't remotely rare, just for ego stroking.

>everybody else is wrong except me
Keep being a special snowflake hipster contrarian douche.

>> No.2802924

>>2799138
>>Serge
>>Kid
>>Fargo
>>Guile
>>Grobyc
>>That Chun Lee top tier martial artist bitch
>>Radius always because he was a geezer that bitch slapped dragons with his cane.
>>Sometimes General Viper because I liked his unite with Radius

That's more or less it.

>> No.2802925

>>2802902
>>2802908
Apparently Collectors are spending thousands
http://www.ebay.com/p/Chrono-Trigger-Super-Nintendo-Entertainment-System-1995-Japanese-Version/4382
$1699.99

I mean, I loved CT, but 1.7k?

>> No.2802927

>>2802908
>not even him but...
>not even him
>but...

>> No.2802928

>>2802917
Viper was hella cool, too bad all the swords looked like toothpicks on him, wished you could give him something more of his size.
>>2802918
>Bullshit, people don't drop that kind of dosh on trash or so so games that aren't remotely rare, just for ego stroking.
They totally do, you underestimate collectors greatly.
>Keep being a special snowflake hipster contrarian douche.
Or maybe you should just get some taste?
You know, people eventually grow up, play other games than their childhood ones(!), hopefully develop some taste and change opinions regarding things, Trigger is a pretty run of the mill JRPG even for its time with its only artistic merit being Mitsuda's music, almost everything else it offered has already been done by other games before, and in most cases, it was done better, much better.

When I was little I really enjoyed reading Goosebumps books and thought they were great, I would never defend any serious, adult fan of the books now, same with CT, it's a good game for kids, but people often give it merits it simply doesn't have and blow it out of proportion, much like all obsessive fanbases really, you could say the same of FF, DQ, Mother and Mario.

>> No.2802934

>>2802928
>maybe if you were more grown up, like myself, you'd have more refined tastes, like myself.
Only kids spout this kind of tripe
>read Goosebumps
Speaks volumes really.

>> No.2802937
File: 118 KB, 278x259, 1441581766199.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2802934
>Only kids spout this kind of tripe
And only people who haven't played anything other than three games in their whole life spout this kind of apology
>Speaks volumes really.
Coming from someone who defends the epic game reputation of a game for kids it's pretty rich.

>> No.2802948

>>2802928
John Romero once said that Chrono Trigger was the "perfect game" and a "pinnacle in gaming" he made these statements as an adult. A quick google search will show it's his favorite game of all time.
Would you consider Romero‘s (as a game designer) opunions faulty? Is he less refined or lacking in taste for loving a "kids" game? Your accusations and points are rather juvenile and myopic, like a child him/herself.

>> No.2802953

>>2802937
>apology
Truely autism speaks
>le smug anime girl image
Definitely beyond the Asperger's spectrum

>> No.2802962

>>2802948
>Would you consider Romero‘s (as a game designer) opunions faulty
Considering he made that mess known as Daikatana and how he was used as promoter for garbage like Madcatz controllers? Hell yes.
I also don't see how a game designer's opinions are not subject to criticism just because of his job, does that means I cannot criticize the decision of any government because I'm not a politician myself?
>is he less refined or lacking in taste for loving a "kids" game?
Nobody's saying that you're not entitled to like what you want, I'm only saying that a kid's game like Chrono Trigger isn't really all that great like the fanbase wants other to believe.
The game's mediocre, like most of the games from that time that get high praise.
>>2802953
You're the one who doesn't even bother articulating and calls other retarded, but I guess that's the usual triggernigger pattern, gets called out and resorts to insults to prove his point, congratulations.

>> No.2802965

>>2802948
>Would you consider Romero‘s (as a game designer) opunions faulty?
Pretty much yes, yeah.

>> No.2802984

>>2802962
It's not the perfect game, but it's close to the perfect JRPG:
>no random encounters
>tolerable length
>memorable characters
>superb graphics + sound

The gameplay sucks and the story makes no sense, but it's a JRPG, what were you expecting?

>> No.2803004

>>2802984
>>no random encounters
Does that matters when all encounters are fixed and most of the times you can't progress further unless you defeat them all like in any corridor in the game? Doesn't really sound like that much of an advantage, I'd rather take the Cross formula or most other RPGs, but to each his own.
It surely is much bearable than DQ5 or FFIV encounter rate, but forced mook encounters aren't okay either.
>>tolerable length
There's shorter games out there if you don't have the patience to play a RPG.
>>memorable characters
Hahaha, what? Some Dragon Quest rejects with barely any actual character?
Really? Frog is the saving grace of that mess of a cast and he barely has any character outside of Cyrus and Magus, he exists almost only to make Magus a believable bad guy, his character completely disappears for the rest of the game outside of his arc, much like the rest of the cast really.
>>superb graphics + sound
Undeniably true.
>The gameplay sucks and the story makes no sense, but it's a JRPG, what were you expecting?
A good game? Luckily not all JRPGs are this mediocre.

>> No.2805270

It's okay.
>not as good as chrono trigger
>chrono trigger wasn't that good to begin with
>first Star Wars trilogy was good
>prequel trilogy was bad
>∴ chrono cross !≡ star wars prequel trilogy ∵ chrono cross is okay whereas star wars prequel trilogy is bad
So no.

>> No.2805360

>>2802248
>>2802884
>all this disc 2 hate
Am I the only one who prefers it to the first one by a mile? Disc 1 was sluggish as shit, 50 hours for like 3 important events to happen and a shitload of cryptic 15 minute cutscenes that go nowhere and are deliberately written to reveal as little about the plot as possible. Disc 2 had a much better tone when shit was fucking going down everywhere and instead of endless random shitheads there were lots of boss battles.

>> No.2806264

>>2805360
I liked both. Disc 2 did manage to make everything seem monumental.

>> No.2807079

>>2802908
>not even him, but
>him
I didn't go through years of counseling and therapy to still be referred to as "him." And after two more procedures, I'll be more her than you can handle.

>> No.2807459

>>2795237
>how did you not understand my overly precise definition of a vague slang term
autism

>> No.2807464

Anyone who thinks Chrono Cross wasn't beloved by the critics is fooling themselves.

That said, it was still a bad game and bad sequel. Radical Dreamers was better.

>> No.2807486 [DELETED] 

>>2807464
Except CC was universally panned as an inferior sequel to Trigger by just about everyone back in the day.

>> No.2807492

>>2807486

>I'll take "Making Shit Up Out Of Thin Air" for $20, Alex!

>> No.2807506 [DELETED] 

>>2807492
Connery, please, stop trying to push your history revisionism bullshit on us.

>> No.2807526

>>2807486
I recall it being lauded by magazines but panned by fans. You can still find scathing user reviews on gamefaqs from disappointed trigger fans

>> No.2807532

>>2794390
They bungled the plot because they decided to do a tie-in to Chrono Trigger half-way through imo.

>> No.2807548
File: 37 KB, 707x960, 1417371363041.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2807506

And just who the fuck is "Connery", my adorable little autist?

>> No.2807618

>>2807532
Confirmed for never playing Radical Dreamers

>> No.2807624

>>2797173
this is the only NESfag post i've ever agreed with

>> No.2807653

>>2807624
I won't argue for the story because it's kinda subjective, but if you agree that you can get through the entire game spamming attack3 you need to replay the game (and get your ass kicked by it when you try to pull this off).

The main reason it's easy is because the autoheal option after battle, being able to customize attacks is a risk/reward system that has nothing to do with that.

>> No.2807657

>>2807618
Didn't CC retcon RD into oblivion?

>> No.2807664

>>2807657
Yes, but the fact RD exists proves that CC was always meant to be a Chrono game. People not liking the direction it took doesn't change that.

I think it's pretty clever designing the whole thing to make it seem completely disconnected from the previous game, makes the reveal have more of an impact, and this happens in both RD and CC. Much more in RD which was never advertised as a sequel and doesn't have anything in common with CT at a glance.

>> No.2807687

Chrono Trigger is literally nintoddler baby's first jrpg. Maybe you should suck the cock of a less boring game?

>> No.2807696

>>2807624
>you can Attack3 through the whole game

What? No you can't, that's utterly untrue.

>> No.2807703

>>2807657
No, it shunts into a dimension that doesn't exist anymore but doesn't negate it from ever having existed.

>> No.2807707

>>2797112
>>2795262

How refreshing to see people expressing clear and easily understandable opinions, not trying to please the crowd with running memes! I am so tired of /v/.

>> No.2807736 [DELETED] 

>>2802918
>The people in my age bracket say so, therefore you're stupid and i am going to name-call you
Keep being a meme-following cock-sucker SJW fascist. Just like there are more people who prefer FF8 to FF7 in the world(fact), there are probably more people who prefer CC's visual impact and dreamy themes over CT's polished 15 hours of "time machine" rehash(supposition).

>> No.2808159

A friend of mine told me: "Play this, you'll undertand after why".
We played togheter Chrono Trigger and I thougth "It must at least be a decent game!".
How wrong was I.
It was terrible. There was not one thing of the game that could be saved.
Only some art and some music.
But the story.....there really wasn't any story at all.
And the gameplay....Redundant to say the least.

>> No.2808169

>>2807736

>using "fascist" in a sentence about a fucking videogame opinion

Opinion discarded.

>> No.2808332 [DELETED] 

Trigger is better, because you can play as Magus, and Magus shits all over every 90 characters you can get in Cross.

>> No.2808523

>>2795262
>Complete waste of anything. Entirely useless. So let me get this straight: you want to use three character turns to cast a spell that's not as powerful as three spells casted individually? Four watt porpoise?

BECAUSE YOU'RE NOT PLAYING THE GAME PROPERLY IF YOU USE CHEAP SPELLS TO MAKE THE GAME EASIER! LEVEL 8 TECH IS FOR SCRUBS!

>> No.2808530

>>2808523

Quit sperging out, autismo devourer of Gentoo.

>> No.2808542

I think another really valid criticism is how CC actually -starts-

It does that really fucking dumb "start in the middle of the game, then jump back to the beginning" trope.

It basically pushes you into the deep end with no fucking context. Sure, pretty much right after you get some info and the start is quite similar to CT in that regard, but that whole start is like, completely pointless.

>> No.2809154

>>2808542
I kinda like that trope. Does that make me 'basic,' as the kids would say?

>> No.2809380

>>2808332
>literally CRAWWWWWLING IN MY SKIIIIIIIN vampire Piccolo
>not hot topic tier shit

Killed that fuck at first sight

>> No.2809391

>>2809380
>vampire Piccolo
>not vampire Vegeta

>> No.2809410

>>2807696
>>2807653
Except I did.

I only needed to do something other than "Attack3" during 3 boss battles (including the last one in which it's kind of a given).
Went through the entire game like that.

>> No.2809419

>>2809391
But he looks much more like Piccolo. Also Frog is already green Vegeta.

>> No.2809426

>>2809410
It's fucking impossible and unrealistic for someone to claim they beat the game with Attack 3 for most of the game. When you do Attack 3 twice, you still have a slither of stamina left, which is an opportunity to cast a skill. I wouldn't believe you if you just ended the turn prematurely or with Attack 1, and just plain refused to cast a goddamn skill.

>> No.2809432

>>2808542
This trope is used to give the player a taste of the excitement that you get mid-game, and to have you get acquainted to the basic game system just barely. When you "start over", it is then the game gives you a formal tutorial.

This is used everywhere from Symphony of the Night, to Chrono Cross, to Need For Speed.

>> No.2809481

>>2809410
Yeah, we already know you lie about this game, NESfag. You've had your ass handed to you multiple times on this and several other subjects. nobody believes you know what you're talking about.

>> No.2809556

>>2809410
It's impossible to only use Attack3, because you have 7 stamina points and after each turn you'd have 1 point left. You'd have to either break the combo and defend every single turn, or keep going with Attack1, and both commands mean you DO need to do something other than Attack3.

It's also highly tedious to go through the game with just Attack3, because it's the strongest attack with lowest accuracy and you'll miss half the time, seldom chaining combos to boost accuracy.

Some enemies do tons of damage to you later on, and the game assumes you'll be able to heal and damage them in efficient ways. Attack3 is highly inefficient, so even if you were on some sort of retarded challenge to only use Attack3 you'd have to heal a lot for many enemies and bosses. Which means you did do something other than Attack3.

It's literally impossible to pull it off even if you don't count the gimmick bosses, and even if it could be done it'd be so tedious and boring due to how often you'd miss it's completely idiotic to claim you're "better off" only using Attack3. This is probably the most retarded advice I've read regarding Chrono Cross, ever.

If you DID go through the entire game using Attack3 at every possible chance, I'd understand how Chrono Cross would seem extremely boring and tedious, but understand that people without your unique brand of profound mental disabilities are not going to play that way, ever.

>> No.2809772 [DELETED] 

>>2809380
>his final team wasn't Magus/Ayla/Robo
MY PLEB SENSES ARE TINGLING

>> No.2809775

>>2809426
>A sliver of stamina left
You have absolutely no idea how Chrono Cross' stamina system works do you?

>> No.2810675

>>2809772
>MY PLEB SENSES ARE TINGLING
Maybe because you're a pleb.

>>2809775
>arguing semantics
One bar of a 7 bar counter IS a "sliver".

>> No.2810929

Regardless of which one is "better," Hint: it's Trigger I think we can all agree that SNES and PS1 JRPGs are among the most overrated games in existence.

>> No.2810934

>>2809775
explain it, smartass
also when you use attack 3 without doing a weak attack first your accuracy plummets

>> No.2810945

>>2810929
Fuck off with your shitty bait.

>> No.2810949

>>2809556
>It's impossible to only use Attack3, because you have 7 stamina points and after each turn you'd have 1 point left. You'd have to either break the combo and defend every single turn, or keep going with Attack1, and both commands mean you DO need to do something other than Attack3.
Yes I remember that, I would break it up with Attack1 constantly.

Anyway I did try other stuff; but nothing ever seemed to be more worth it than attack3 so I stopped bothering.

The game never made called bullshit on me. It never made me have to do something other than that in any circumstance, except during a couple of bossbattles.

You know, tons of jRPG always get the "press X to win" complain and I always thought it was unfunded. Even Final Fantasy IV, the worst of its kind, forces you to change strategy every so often.

Chrono Cross never did.

>> No.2810950

>>2810934
Not him but it's not that difficult.

You get 7 Stamina points each turn.

Attack 3 takes 3 Stamina points.

3+3=6, so you have 1 Stamina point remaining. Meaning you can't go through the game using only Attack 3 unlike what >>2809410 claims.

>also when you use attack 3 without doing a weak attack first your accuracy plummets
Tell that to >>2809410, I don't think anybody else is questioning that, he's the only one acting like Attack 3 breaks the game.

>> No.2810952

>>2810945
>He disagrees with me, he must be trolling
I'm sorry you like overrated games.

>> No.2810954

>>2810949
>moving goalpoasts
ok but what about the rest of the post calling you out on the bullshit of saying you're better off always using attack 3 when its accuracy is abysmal?

>> No.2810959

>>2810952
No I disagree with you because you have no proof whatsoever, did made any example and have no idea of the actual library of each console, if you even ever played anything than the biggest names on them.
You're literally shitposting for the sake of baiting replies.

>> No.2810964

>>2810950
What I meant was, using attack3 as much as possible.
Honestly, it's been a long time and I didn't remember, but now that you mention it I know I'd constantly break it up with attack1 when I didn't have choice.

>>2810954
IIRC sometimes instead of doing "attack3/attack3/attack1" i'd do "attack1/attack3/attack3", which would give a little more accuracy that way.
Even then it always seemed the best solution, even if an attack missed from times to times.

For instance I seem to remember there was some kind of system (maybe summons ?) that required you to perform a bunch of attacks of the same colours in order to trigger. This for instance, was never worth the trouble, because by the time you do what it takes to trigger that attack, you'd have already killed the enemy using attack1/attack3 combos a long time ago.
Maybe I'm wrong but I think enemies attack also participated in the colour-group, meaning that chances are the colour you were going for would be broken up anyway.

My point is, this game felt like you were always fighting enemies that were at half the level or strength they should have been compared to another jRPG, even compared to CT or FF games which aren't known for their difficulty. That just renders the entire system moot. The game never made me have to bother trying anything else, so I just spammed attack1/attack3/attack3.

You don't have to believe me.

>> No.2811026

>>2810964
Summons are worth the trouble because it's the only way to forge rainbow equipment and good luck unlocking the other endings without it.

It's obvious your pulling stuff out of your ass, maybe because you don't remember the game that well. But if you don't don't act like you're an expert.

Using attack 3 is retarded, you'll do as much damage without missing nearly aw often with 1-2-3-2.

>> No.2811034

>>2795272

I fit the bill for general niche title lover, and personally loved this game, definitely in my top 5 favorite games of all time. Quite honestly I can't get into Trigger, but I might try again sometime.

I actually always owned both Nintendo and Playstation until 7th gen, when I owned all 3 consoles + gaming PC. Never owned any Sega consoles except Dreamcast.

>> No.2811047

>>2811026
>Using attack 3 is retarded, you'll do as much damage without missing nearly aw often with 1-2-3-2.

My point is it's never worth it to bother. I'm sure there are plenty of ways to deal more dmg.
The game never offers an ounce of challenge or interesting fight. Why should I be wasting my time trying stuff out when the game never even tries to build a single interesting scenario out of its system ? The game never called me out on my bullshit, my attack1/attack3/attack3 technique worked like a charm and got ended every battle very quickly, even the majority of bosses.

Besides, why even bother fighting except for bosses and the couple of fights after each boss that give you stat boosts ? I remember fleeing from quite a lot of fights simply because there was just no point at all in this game's entire system.

>> No.2811539 [DELETED] 

>>2810675
Says the nigger that probably chose Crono not because he's a good character, but because of autistic minmaxing in an already easy game.

>> No.2811624

>>2810964
>The game never made me have to bother trying anything else, so I just spammed attack1/attack3/attack3.

Still not as bad as Trigger, where you only spam the same attack

>> No.2811634 [DELETED] 

>>2811624
Nuking with magic is far more effective than spamming attack, go watch a speedrun, kid.

>> No.2812958

>>2811634
Holding down the attack button takes less effort

>> No.2813207

Cross isn't bad, but it is far worse than Trigger and Radical Dreamers.

>> No.2813570
File: 73 KB, 500x500, tumblr_nq2ubxtyRo1tuy4w7o1_500.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

When I finished Cross first I was like WTF but then I played it again and understood that it's nothing less than the pinnacle of console RPGs.

>> No.2815380

>>2813207
I wouldn't say it's /far/ worse than CT as CT was already fairly meh to begin with. 'Far worse' than mediocre would put it into the realm of Cheetahmen II and ET.
Never got into Radical Dreamers. It's just a digital novel, no? Like those Choose-Your-Own-Adventure! builds we had to cobble together in programming classes at primary schools in the late 80s/very early 90s.

>> No.2815530

>>2815380
It's a visual novel (with its own battle system and so on), but the writing is stellar and the story as a whole is much more intimate and cohesive than Chrono Cross'.

>> No.2816681

My biggest problem with CC is that the battles take so fucking long. There's so much pointless time waster bullshit.

In CT, when you started a battle, it usually only took a second or so before you actually got to do stuff. Attacks and techs were all pretty fast, even the triple techs weren't drawn all out.

In CC, every fucking time you enter combat you have to sit through an animation of yeah, that's what the enemies look like okay i fucking get it. And techs take FOREVER.

Delta Force in CC:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IviX4H9Mug

Delta Storm in CT:
https://youtu.be/XCmXL9uiEKc?t=17

>> No.2816685 [DELETED] 

>>2816681
Blame FF7 for forcing every future JRPG to have to be a cinematic experience.

>> No.2817976

>>2815530
I tried it once over a decade ago and didn't care for it. So you say I ought to give it another go, then?

>>2816681
>>2816685
Back in my later teens, when the PSX was nearing its death throes, I wanted to create a 16-bit-ish jRPG á la SNES/MD era of games but for PSX. Basically, make a super long, character-and-story-driven jRPG with minimal, if any at all, cutscenes, taking advantage of 32-bit and CD storage capabilities. I was inspired by SaGa Frontier because I thought the seven stories thing was neat-o, but was imagining more than each of the seven stories would intertwine more than they did and yet still be seven separate, complete jRPGs in their own right. Alas, pipedreams.

>> No.2818087

>>2817976
>So you say I ought to give it another go, then?
If you don't like visual novels you'll never like Radical Dreamers, but if you like reading, then approaching it with an open mind as its own game is a good idea. I think it's worth it, honestly as a story it's my favorite game out of the Chrono series.

>>2816681
I found animations pretty fast... compared to FF7 and the like. You can even skip summons, thank god. And if it's too slow still, the time shifter helps with that on a NG+.

>> No.2819905

>>2818087
>favo[u]rite game out of the Chrono series.
Okay. A go I shall give it, then.

>>2813570
Razzly a shit.

>> No.2819928

>>2817976
try wild arms.

>> No.2820058

>>2795262
>Complete waste of anything. Entirely useless. So let me get this straight: you want to use three character turns to cast a spell that's not as powerful as three spells casted individually? Four watt porpoise?

I love CT, but I genuinely never understood this. The group techs are not worth the lost turns. No idea why the hell more people don't notice this.

>> No.2820064

>>2820058
some spells get enhanced effects, such as better stealing. but the real advantage is the mp consumption that's really low with double techs.

>> No.2820068

>>2820058
Have you played Phantasy Star IV? I thought the dual tech concept was implemented better in there.

>> No.2820129

>>2820058
The damage/MP cost ratio is great, that's why. You get two characters dealing 85% of the damage they would deal going individually at 40-50% of the cost.

The triple tech that involves Luminaire lets Crono cast it for 10MP instead of 20, for example, and that's fucking AWESOME.

It's also useful in situations where you've got mismatched character types. Let's say you've got Lucca in a party against a monster that is immune to fire - you can use her turn as part of a double or triple tech to change her damage type to something else, like the non-elemental area attack she can do with Robo, instead of casting a fire spell that would potentially heal the monster.

As you can surmise, these situations don't come up in Chrono Cross because of character customization and no MP stat - so it's natural that you wouldn't really need to rely on or even use double/triple techs in Cross.

>> No.2820135 [DELETED] 

>>2820068
Oh God, yes. PS4 has some of the best turn-based JRPG mechanics. Why don't more games in this genre have macros?

>> No.2821217

>>2820135
>>2820068
I love the Phantasy Star games. Even the divisive third one and the 2grindy4u 2nd. I owned all four back in the day, before I sold my consoles. Never did finish PS2, though. I lose interest around the second or third dam. Forget which.

Yeah, combo techs in PS4 were obscenely awesome. My favourite game with combos, though, is Persona 2. Both halves of it, IS and EP.

>>2819928
I have. That's only three separate stories for like the first hour of the game, though. But yeah, something similar to that, just much, much longer.

>> No.2821346

>>2795262
CT did use the amnesia thing lol, Magus is in an amnesia loop

>> No.2821349

>>2821346
No he's not, he clearly remembers everything. The DS ending is the only one with amnesia.

>The triple tech that involves Luminaire lets Crono cast it for 10MP instead of 20, for example, and that's fucking AWESOME.
Yeah, but you waste the turns of your other characters and THEY have to waste MP, too. You're acting like the gold stud doesn't exist, which would make Luminaire only 8 MP without wasting anyone's turn, or like enemies don't constantly drop MP replenishing items. It's far easier and more effective to just use those alternatives.

>> No.2821352

>>2821346
No, quite the opposite. He uses his foreknowledge of the future to manipulate Zeal.

Unless you're referring to that garbage non-canon crap on the DS version added years after the fact.

>> No.2821373

>>2821352

I just kind of ignore all that shit too.

>> No.2822895

>>2821352
What changes were made?

>Captcha: Select all images with <b>trees</b>.
>click broccoli instead of an obvious photo of trees for shits and giggles
>it goes through
wut

>> No.2822906

>>2822895

From what I hear it's actually tracking _how_ you solve it; the accuracy of the solution itself is no longer the penultimate factor in determining whether you "passed".

>> No.2822914

>>2822895
Thanks to Magus using his foreknowledge of the tragedy, the Gurus were imprisoned. In Magus' memories of the event when he was sucked into the Middle Ages as a child, the Gurus were present during Lavos' awakening. Magus manipulated the situation so that Lavos would arise without anyone interfering and he would be able to kill it and get revenge.

>> No.2822941

>>2822895
If I recall, some of the images are undefined and thus are not right or wrong. So if you have three trees, a broccoli (undefined), and a car (defined and wrong), and enough people pick the broccoli it'll count it as a "tree".

>> No.2822958

>>2822895
I successfully passed tree questions with broccoli and cotton candy so far. Fuck Google, I always try to pick something wrong that might pass.

>> No.2824773

>>2821217
I was also talking about technical aspects. It uses a lot of old school presentions.

>> No.2826226

>>2824773
That's true. I like Wild Arms but never did get around to finishing it for some reason. I think I get sidetracked with breaking the game instead of playing the game.

>> No.2826778

>>2794390
shitty game

>> No.2827502

>>2826778
4u

>> No.2828954

CC fans are literal queers.
/thread

>> No.2830115

>>2798026
No I think it succeeded at that, tenfold.

>> No.2831925

>>2830115
Yes. Both games are bad, but each for different reasons.

>>2828954
You literally don't know what 'literally' literally means.

>> No.2833336

>>2820129
... It's not using Luminaire, though... it's using Lightning 2. Just as Marle and Lucca are using Ice 2 and Fire 2 respectively.

>> No.2833363

>>2833336
Point still stands.

>> No.2833396

>>2833336
No. It doesn't.
The original point was
>hurr durr saves MP!!!
Which it doesn't. Lightning 2 costs 8mp. Fire 2 costs 8mp. Ice 2 costs 8mp. The triple tech costs 24mp (8mp from each caster). It's exactly the same cost.And it's actually /less powerful/ than the three spells individually. It's a complete waste.

>b-but!!! it's a shadow-based magic!!!!!!

Big fucking whoop-dee-shit. You don't need it. anyfuckingway.
Know why? Know what's actually useful if you want shadow-based magic? Antipode.
It is also shadow-based, uses only two of the three character turns, costs less MP and frees up a third turn for healing and shit, if necessary.
Not a single triple tech is useful. At all. None.

>> No.2833404

>>2833396
meant in reply to >>2833363 not >>2833336

>> No.2833457

>>2833396
Its pretty common knowledge that double and triple techs are super situational.

Crono and Ayla's falcon hit will be great on a handful of bosses (Namely Giga Gaia) but almost useless everywhere else. Likewise with Ayla and Robo's Boogie being really useful against the Golem Twins, but pretty much no where else.

You're almost always better off with a Gold Stud on every character then stuff like Prism Specs because having to use up turns for restoring MP is generally a waste and doesn't make up the difference in damage, but again, situationally.

>> No.2833550

>>2833396
Omega Flare is the single best technique in the game. You don't know what you're talking about at all.

>> No.2833564

I'm not all over Cross but I had fun playing it and I like it? crazy, I know.

>> No.2833570

>>2833396

3D attack is fucking baller, as are most of the triple techs that involve chrono/ayla

>> No.2833578

>>2833457
>not stealing infinite megalixers from the ape things in the reptite layer in, IIRC, the middle ages

That way, you can heal HP and MP for all party members in one go.

>>2833550
Except it wastes three turns, isn't as powerful as using two solo-techs individually and requires using up an accessory slot to even access it.
Its downsides far outweigh its damage.

>>2833457
Doesn't seem to be common knowledge at all since lots of morons keep saying that triple techs are useful when they're simply not. Double techs can be, but not triple. Even you yourself only gave examples of double techs, not triple techs. That's because they're utterly stupid.