[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 260 KB, 611x640, image.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2768395 No.2768395 [Reply] [Original]

I've never really been into fighting games, but I figured I'd start playing them to branch out from the genres I'm used to. I've got a Japanese Saturn and recently imported Virtua Fighter, Virtua Fighter 2, and Fighters Megamix. I'm pretty trash at the Virtua Fighter games, but I'm having a blast with Megamix. What are some other good fighting games for Saturn? How do I git gud at Virtua Fighter? Is Fighters Megamix actually good, or am I too inexperienced to tell? Discuss here.

>> No.2768402

The characters from megamix are originally from a game called fighting vipers. Get that.
Also Last Bronx.

>> No.2768405

What's with the influx of fighting games scrubs in this fucking board?
Play Guardian Heroes

>> No.2768409
File: 379 KB, 1000x1330, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2768402
Yeah, I know of Fighting Vipers. I was planning on picking that up down the line. Never heard of Last Bronx, but it looks interesting. I'll get that too.

>> No.2768410

>>2768409
That's about it, good luck finding someone to play with you.

>> No.2768416

>>2768410
>Implying I won't train until I can beat the strongest CPU with ease and then wander the countryside in search of an opponent

>> No.2768427

>>2768416
>playing the CPU
Just spam your most damaging move until you find a cheap tactic that works, repeat ad infinitum. I know fans of the series love jerking off to how technical the execution is, but reality is that Virtua Fighter was never very popular after the first installment in the west.

>> No.2768437

>>2768427
Well that's the thing - I don't WANT to spam. I know it works, but I'd rather become familiar with each fighter's moveset so I know when and where to block and when there's an opening to fight back. Again, I'm not familiar with the ins-and-outs of many fighting games, so I chose to start with Virtua Fighter because it seemed more simple than the fighting games by Capcom or SNK.

>> No.2768446

>>2768437
You got it in reverse, virtua fighter is more complex than the 2D stuff. You probably want to play a modern Tekken or Soul Calibur for an easy to play 3D fighter.

>> No.2768451

Tbh I think you should just give up, if you weren't born in the arcade era your best bet is laggy online, and I think none of the Saturn emulators support net play.

>> No.2768454

>>2768427
I'd say it was more the second. At least around here it was pretty big in the arcades. But Tekken was more popular after that... then a couple years later we didnt even have arcades. ;_;

>>2768395
Gud VF play (against humans) was about being unpredictable and correctly gauging the distance between fighters based on what move you're going to use. E.g., if you close in and attack low, then next time distance closes do something different like a throw or longer range mid-height attack. Learn attacks that pop your opponent up and leave them vulnerable. A front kick or knee attack that pops them up followed by a simple PPPK combo can almost win a match right there. And never jump around like Crouching Tiger, just short hop into an attack or you'll get nailed floating around up there.

iirc, against the ai you can pretty much just spam side-kicks and win half the time.

>> No.2768469
File: 64 KB, 484x667, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2768451
>Tbh I think you should just give up
What kind of fucking attitude is that? If I want to improve at a game, I improve at it. Period.

>>2768446
Shit, seriously? Guess I'll go get better at 2D fighting games before I give Virtua Fighter a serious chance. Gonna keep playing Megamix cause that's fun as fuck.

>>2768454
Thanks for all the info. I'll definitely keep that in mind if I end up really getting into VF. If I treat playing against a CPU like playing against an actual opponent and don't spam side-kicks, could I improve that way? I'm assuming playing against an actual person is drastically different, I'm just curious.

>> No.2768480

>>2768469
You won't improve by playing the CPU, you will only become a bigger scrub by picking up bad habits. If you're just trying to waste time and be a casual might as well pick up a kiddie jrpg, they have lots of art assets to look at.

>> No.2768484

VF2 on the Saturn has an option for the AI to learn your style and fight you accordingly. It's actually fairly advanced, in that you will need to mix up your moves often - the AI will block anything you use often, but will allow to get hit if you use some rarer move.

It still feels like it is cheating like hell though, mostly because by the time the AI ramps up in difficulty, you'll be up against Lau or Jeffry or Kage, who can either kill you in two moves or jut toy around with you.

>> No.2768489

VF2 on Saturn has an option that makes the CPU AI learn (or adapt) from your play style.

I got an used memory cart that belonged to a japanese owner before, and he had a VF2 file in it, his CPU was fucking relentless.

>> No.2768491

>>2768484
You know they always say "adaptive ai" as a marketing buzzword but all it means in practice is that the game keeps a counter of how many times you used said move, then blocks and punishes with high priority if movecount >= x. Again, easily predictable, cheap and boring. It just means that you'll have to mix up punches and kicks a little bit.

>> No.2768493

>>2768489
It didn't actually adapt, nigger, it's all smokes and mirrors. All it's doing is giving frame advantage to the cpu.

>> No.2768494

>>2768480
>If you're just trying to waste time and be a casual might as well pick up a kiddie jrpg, they have lots of art assets to look at.
Ouch. Well if you say so, I guess I'll try my hand at some more popular fighting games instead to increase my chances at finding a human opponent. Sux though, I really wanted to get into VF and what have you. I'll take your word for it, considering you sound much more experienced than I am. Thanks anyway.

>> No.2768496

>>2768494
Smash Bros might be up your alley.

>> No.2768498

>>2768480
Bad habits? You can still learn the ranges of the attacks and practice the more difficult ones playing against the ai. I never would have been able to pull off some of Akira's moves against an actual human opponent if I hadn't practiced them against the ai first.

>> No.2768501

>>2768496
I can't tell if you're being condescending or being serious.
The whole reason I made this thread is because I actually do play a fair amount of Smash and want to try my hand at more traditional fighting games.

>> No.2768502

>>2768493
It still mixes up normal AI movement while giving you a chance by teaching you how to do unexpected moves. Which is way the fuck more than what any other fighting game does.

>>2768494
Don't listen to that guy. Obviously you'll never play VF against any decent human player unless you live in Japan. But that doesn't mean that you can't have fun learning the game. Just mastering a single character can take months, learning all their moves, practicing them so you can do them by reflex. Then you can learn how to mix up your style to always use an unexpected move.

>> No.2768506

>>2768501

Some people are pretty up their ass and they think that because they watch EVO they are authorities on the matter and trash talk anyone that isn't "in the know". Otherwise know as "bantz". Just ignore these people, they're living memes.

>> No.2768507

>>2768501
Stick to Smash if you can't take the bantz, kiddo.

>> No.2768510

>>2768502
Let's be honest, they don't play these games anymore in Japan either. The last revision was released over 8 years ago. It's dead.
>inb4 someone posts a youtube video of some backyard anime convention where they are having a VF5 tourney

>> No.2768523

>>2768507
I think I'm "taking the bantz" pretty well so far. I mean, I haven't acted hostile toward you or rejected your advice. Despite not playing them much, I know there's a lot of trash talk that comes with fighting games, but isn't that reserved for people who actually have some experience? If I haven't even started playing them seriously yet, why bother insulting me? Shit makes no sense.

>> No.2768527

>>2768510
>The last revision was released over 8 years ago. It's dead.

People still play fucking Street Fighter 2, so I don't see how the age of a game makes it dead.

>> No.2768529

>>2768469
>I'm assuming playing against an actual person is drastically different,

In VF2 playing against the AI was more about out-cheaping it than actual strategy. Against humans like I said its all about gauging distance and using a variety of moves to keep the opponent guessing. The more moves you knew you knew with that character the more unpredictable, and of course the more advanced and hard to see coming moves were the more difficult to input.

One exception maybe was the Drunk Monk. His moves were naturally deceptive but easy to input. His Down/Forward+P Uppercut, Forward+P Triple Punch, and Up+P Pounce combo was maybe the easiest in the game and did something like 2/3 damage.... A good character to use while drinking I suppose.

>> No.2768532

>>2768529
>In VF2 playing against the AI was more about out-cheaping it than actual strategy.
Every game is like that, you mean.

>> No.2768562

>>2768532
Even more so with VF2 I think. Fighting bosses were always cheap, like in SF2 Bison didnt have to charge his Psycho Crusher, but at least he could be touched.
It was impossible to hit Dural on high difficulty. I pretty much had to trick her, or "it", whatever, into a position where I could use throws, which she'd often reverse, or lure her to the edge of the area and force her into a ring out.

>> No.2768986

>>2768562
alt throws are not reversable

>> No.2769023

>>2768527
Yeah, all kinds of games have followings. The place I used to meet up at in college for games had whatever was popular at the time plus the 'retro corner' where you'd play console ports of classics plus console originals like TMNT Tournament Fighters and stuff.

Personally, I'm with you OP. VF2 is really fun, and even if I'm not really good at fighters I still like to mess around in them. I too come from a Smash Bros heavy background, though was never super serious about comp play or anything

My personal recs for fighters include Street Fighter 3 Third Strike, Street Fighter Alpha 3, and King of Fighters R-2 (I know it's a portable spin-off but it's my favorite version). Also more obscure but still really good is Joy Mech Fight, Nintendo's own original fighting game that only appeared on the Famicom (expect main character Sukapon to show up in a Smash Bros. game soon though).

Pretty sure that Capcom did some very good arcade ports to Saturn. SNK did the same but used an inferior memory expansion (they released the first which had 1 meg, then Capcom produced the 4 meg memory expansion and SNK refused to use the competition's tech) which means that they have more slowdown/are otherwise less faithful to the originals unfortunately.

SF3 also has the benefit of the HD release on PS3 and 360, which gives you online play to for you to get rekt by people who have been playing for nearly 20 years.

Playing against real people is really the best way. I'd join you to play fighters but I seriously doubt we're in the same area zip code? meetups mite b cool

Either way, you might try sites like Meetup or even Facebook if you're into that sort of thing, people often organize game meetups through such websites.

And as always, have fun! That's what makes games great.

>> No.2769068
File: 276 KB, 700x700, image.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2769023
We need more of you and less of >>2768480 on /vr/, Anon. I'm not very social to begin with and I don't have any friends that are into retro vidya, but if I could find a group that's into games as much as me I'd definitely hang out with them. It's difficult mostly because there aren't any game or comic shops where I live, and it's pretty out of the way. Anyway, I plan on getting Street Fighter Zero (Japanese SF Alpha) and its sequels during my next round of game purchases. Never played Alpha before but I look forward to it. As for the meetup, I'm all for it. I won't give you my exact zip code and stuff unless we live in the same area, but I live in New Hampshire. I've never done meetups before but I'm pretty starved to meet people that are as into old games as I am, so whatever.

>> No.2770563

>>2769068
I do what I can, friend. We can only make a good board by being good posters and (at most) politely and concisely dissuading bad ones.

As for the meetup, I'm in NE Ohio, so probably no dice there unless it was for a convention somewhere mid-way. If you're really set on finding retro bros then I strongly recommend trying out some networking sites, here's Meetup for example. I had great success with this page when I was living in Columbus for school. http://videogame.meetup.com/all/

You might also try facebook, I don't like it much myself, but it is a reliable way to find stuff especially for 20-somethings. Or you could try organizing a meetup yourself, you might be surprised by who you find in your area if you put a word out!

>> No.2771325

>>2768446
VF is easier to pick up than people think.

It's hard to be good at but so is literally every other fighting game ever made.

>> No.2771341
File: 32 KB, 368x312, savaki-f.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Savaki is one of the only "serious" fighting games I really like the other one I can remember now is Fight Night series on 6th gen, even though it's kinda wonky sometimes it's very interesting if you're into some of the styles.

>> No.2771342

For the Saturn you can find X-Men vs Street Fighter and Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter which are both arcade perfect with the ram addon. The other Marvel games are cut/filled with loadings

>> No.2771345

>>2771342
And I forgot about Suiko Enbu - Fuuun Saiki and Power Instinct Groove on Fight

There was also another 2d fighting game with some pretty good animations, can't remember the name though.

>> No.2771371

>>2771345
Asuka 120?
Rabbit?
Those are some good 2D fighters on the saturn also Marvel Super Heroes, X-men COTA, Street fighter alpha series, Street fighter collection, and cyberbots.

>> No.2771380

>>2771371
It was Ninku Tsuyokina Yatsura No Daigekitotsu, prettier to watch than to play.

>> No.2771385

>>2771342
XvsSF and MvsSF aren't arcade perfect either, but they are the closest. IIRC the sound is downgraded, and the cutscenes cannot be skipped because that's where the game loads the fights. And the game tends to skip frames when the action gets too heavy (X-men COTA did that too, while Marvel Super Heroes instead opted for slowdown).

But yeah, that's basically nitpicking at that point, since they got so much stuff working so great otherwise. The only real argument you can put against either game is that they are really lacking in game modes and extras.

At least Marvel vs Street had a survival mode. That was pretty fun since it forced you to fight against all characters, including secret ones, so it was way longer than Arcade mode.

>> No.2771386

>>2771345
>There was also another 2d fighting game with some pretty good animations, can't remember the name though.

You are probably thinking of the Sunsoft games. Galaxy Fight, Waku Waku 7, and Astra Superstars. Waku Waku 7 had awful backgrounds though, they halved the resolutions on those for some reason.

Astra Superstars was the only 2d fighter on the Saturn that used hi-res mode ingame as well, by the way.

>> No.2771391
File: 61 KB, 320x240, Dragon-Ball-Z-Shinbutouden-JPN.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Not really as good as Super Butouden 2, but Shin Butouden still remains the 2nd or 3rd best DBZ fighting game (at least of the 2D ones), and was much better than Ultimate Battle 22.

My problem with Shin Butouden is that the stages are all too damn small and the best thing about the Butoden series was the spacing using the split screen.
Still pretty good other than that, and Satan mode was also a fun extra game.
Would have been nice if it had a story mode, but alas.

>> No.2771394
File: 1.92 MB, 448x230, .gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

BUTT!

>> No.2771396

>>2771391

>much better than UB22

I can't think in a DB game worse than it. Even GT, which is a trainwreck, manages to be a better title. This one is pretty good and underrated tho

>> No.2771406

>>2771391
That's great to know, because I was considering picking this up. Is it worth getting Densetsu Legends on the Saturn as well? I've heard great things about it, but that was quite a while ago.

>> No.2771416

>>2771406

Yes, Legends is good too. Gameplay is weird but unique, has a very good presentation and follows the whole Z story from Vegeta to Boo.
I played it on PS1 but I heard Saturn version is even better.