[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 37 KB, 348x542, IMG_20140318_012617-1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2766030 No.2766030 [Reply] [Original]

Why does everybody on this board seem to hate Earthbound? Be honest. Is it because you can't afford it, so you've convinced yourself that the game is shit in order to justify not owning it?
I've never played the game, but I've noticed that it receives a lot of hate around here, and I'm genuinely curious.

>> No.2766034

>>2766030
It's the fanbase. At least that's what I think.

>> No.2766052

I bought it used in the year 2000 for $20, cart only. It was one of my favorite RPGs growing up, but the autistic fanbase has kinda soured my opinion on it and I refuse to discuss the game publicly with people anymore.

It still holds sentimental value for me though and I'll probably never sell it.

>> No.2766053

>>2766030
>Is it because you can't afford it,
It's on virtual console for 5 bucks.

>> No.2766056

>>2766030
>I've never played the game

nice try Earthboundfag, no one really cares about the franchise because it`s mostly shit.

>> No.2766058

>>2766030
I don't hate it, I just think it's a painfully mediocre game that's seriously neither good, nor bad. It simply exists. To me anyway.
And yet there's this group of "le epic maymay retrooooo gamrrrz!!!!" who suck the cock right off the fucking game, and an even worse selection of collectors who psychotically drove the price through the roof (even worse than to begin with) so they could pretend that they're special for owning it.

The fan base draws lots of attention and scrutiny to a game who's actual quality can't live up to it all. It's like the OoT of the SNES. It's a mediocre game, touted as amazing by idiots who simply don't know any better, and reviled by people who can't stand hype machines.

>> No.2766069

>>2766058
>It's like the OoT of the SNES. It's a mediocre game, touted as amazing by idiots who simply don't know any better, and reviled by people who can't stand hype machines.

Slow down there buddy, OoT is a great 8.5/10 game and one that you had to experience around the time it came out to notice how truly amazing it was. You're underage, right?

>> No.2766072

Shit game, outclassed on release
No innovation, lacks detailed graphics, uninspired art, shitty story.
And I remind you.
This is a 90's RPG.

>> No.2766085

The game itself is decent, but the fanbase is so annoying and cringy that it makes me want to actively disassociate from it.

I'll never understand what caused autistic hipsters to be so fascinated with this game.

>> No.2766091

>>2766085
Are there any examples of why this fanbase is so awful? I've never played Earthbound and I keep hearing about "the fanbase" here.

>> No.2766096

>>2766058

>OoT
>Mediocre

The first 3 tutorial Dungeons maybe, after that it ramps up into GOTY erry year territory.

>> No.2766097

>>2766091
Just your standard "this game didn't do well and is obscure to people born after release so let's parade it around like a 10/10 2deep4u masterpiece while not accepting any criticism" type fans. Not too hard to figure out.

>> No.2766098

>>2766030
I played my friends copy as a kid.

It was dumb then and its dumb now.

>> No.2766224

>>2766030

WTF are you talking about? People here lick that game's balls on the daily. Just because some college fag came in here on some "waaah I need some Game Genie codes to beat Earthbound" today doesn't mean the game gets much hate. Well, maybe from the Atheists for that stupid ending...

>> No.2766436

>>2766096
Bongo Bongo

>> No.2766443

It has an absolutely underserved reputation as some sort of masterwork of staggering genius, when it is a completely plain, middle of the road entry-level RPG.

It isn't bad for what it is, but watching its reputation go from "that quirky RPG that wasn't all that good" to "misunderstood genius" to "shining example of a perfect video game" over the years has been baffling.

I'm surprised it even has a fanbase to parrot these bizarre opinions, none of these people were screaming this shit in the mid-90s, I can assure you.

>> No.2766452

Unbelievably mediocre gameplay backed up by a horrible fanbase.

I probably wouldn't even care about it if the fans could at least admit that it's not very good as a game and they just like it for the setting.

>> No.2766453

I think that earthbound and the mother series are excellent. in the 90s it was completely overlooked outside of Japan because of weak marketing. in the 2000s, an online fanbase emerged which brought needed attention to an underrated gem. then this got out of hand, and earthbound became some sort of video game jesus, and now there's a backlash against that.

>> No.2766464

>>2766030
Earthbound simply doesn't deserve the hype it gets. It's a thoroughly mediocre DQ clone, and yet it seems to be the Holy Grail of retro gaming to most people. It's not terrible, just painfully mediocre. But it's stupefyingly overrated.

>> No.2766473

>>2766058
>liking a game any less because of the fanbase

Final Fantasy VI's battle system was also not the best (lol cast Ultima on everything), but it's one of my favorite games on the SNES because to the characters, presentation and setting. Honestly, if you want well-balanced battle systems for JRPGs that are actually interesting to use, the SNES may not be the right console for that, because almost all of them degenerate into "press fight/attack a lot" or "use gamebreaking skills a lot".

FFVI also has a pretty vocal fanbase. Do you hate it, too?

Earthbound is interesting because it was a JRPG that took place in modern times unlike the dozens of copy-paste fantasy-era JRPGs. It's interesting because it has good humor and a world that's fun to explore. It's interesting because it's different. Who fucking cares about the fans? Don't visit starmen.net if you don't like them, we don't have obsessive Earthbound fans on /vr/, since, like most people, we can appreciate the game for what it is: a run-of the mill JRPG that separates itself from a genre that was oversaturated with samey games through setting, humor and storytelling. Obviously it stands out, it was designed to.

>>2766097
I can't wait until this happens to Live a Live in three years.

>> No.2766476

>>2766453
>in the 90s it was completely overlooked outside of Japan because of weak marketing.

You could not swing a cat for the gaming magazines running ads for Earthbound in the 90s. Were you expecting a TV ad campaign or something?

The game didn't sell well because it isn't that great, not because it was a heretofore unknown gem.

>> No.2766485

>>2766030
The "humour" is nothing but the game saying "lol so quirky amirite XD" at every turn. Utterly pointless, and incredibly annoying.

As others have said, the gameplay is mediocre.

>> No.2766495

Not everyone in this board is the same, I love the Mother series, but I grown tired of talking about it unless it's Mother 1 which is actually underrated, even on this board.

Earthbound is controversial because it became a sort of "meme game" according to 4chan folklore.
Some people might "hate" it because it's expensive, others might "hate" it because they want to have strong opinions on the internet, others might "hate" simply because it's a Nintendo game.

There's many different kind of retards out there.

>> No.2766515

>>2766069
>Slow down there buddy, OoT is a great 8.5/10 game and one that you had to experience around the time it came out to notice how truly amazing it was. You're underage, right?

I experienced banjo and kazooie when it came out, and I tried to go back and play it..
I fucking hated it

>> No.2766518

>>2766476

what I meant is that the marketing approach/gimmick was done wrong.

earthbound is clearly excellent. if the game itself was lacking, why was the mother series popular in Japan?

everyone has different tastes, but there's nothing wrong or even mediocre about earthbound. the people who hate it now are just reacting to the historical process I outlined.

>> No.2766524

>>2766069
Not the guy but not everyone played OoT in the 90s. I remember a friend had it around '98 and I watched him play for a few minutes but it didn't grab me. I didn't try it myself until 2008 and I didn't beat it until the 3DS one came out.

It's an okay game. Majora's Mask I didn't play until 2012 but I think it's absolutely fantastic.

>> No.2766529

>>2766524

I played OoT when it came out and it was pretty good, I'd say 7/10. it wasn't amazing and it didn't suck me in, but it's well worth playing.

LttP>

>> No.2766537

>>2766529
Yeah don't get me wrong, it's not a bad game and I did enjoy it (the 3DS one moreso, the highly improved frame rate and other little fixes do wonders) but it's odd t me that people call it the greatest game ever or even the greatest Zelda game. It lacks the near-perfect level design of LttP or the atmosphere of MM.

I guess my perspective's a bit different for not playing these games as a kid.

>> No.2766548

>>2766518
>earthbound is clearly excellent
>if the game itself was lacking, why was the mother series popular in Japan?

Let me ask you one thing.
Do you think McDonalds or Pizza Hut make good food because a lot of people eat their products every day?
Ponder a bit on the problem and come back when you're ready to give me an appropriate answer.

>> No.2766559

>>2766030
>can't afford it

What are roms?

>> No.2766563

>>2766548
>>2766518

Nevermind if Mother 2 is actually a good game or not (subjective opinions, etc), Mother series is popular in Japan in part thanks to Shigesato Itoi.

That said, Mother is popular, but not as popular as DraQue or Final Fantasy

>> No.2766596

>>2766548
apples and oranges.

>> No.2766609

>>2766030

I don't hate it, I don't like it.

>> No.2766662

people only dickride it because ness is in smash i think

and smashfags are horrible

>> No.2766671

>>2766662

So you support the idea that people only hate on EB because they hate the fanbase.

>> No.2766696

Haven't you heard OP? Among today's kids, Gameplay is the only thing that has ever mattered, and having typical JRPG combat is a deadly sin. (You guys better hate Chrono Trigger, all the Final Fantasy games up until 10, and all the DQ games as well, by the way.)

There's also the fact that LOLSORANDOM humor has been dead for so long that people don't even know what it looks like anymore, and will call anything that's even slightly quirky or surprising LOLSORANDOM.

But mostly it's the fact that Earthbound hides its brilliance really well, and even most people who like the game can only describe it as charming and quirky, and can't see the masterful string-pulling that's going on.

>> No.2766708

>>2766034
Whats bad about the fanbase?

>> No.2766716

>>2766708

The Mother fanbase is actually pretty good in my book, they did things like the Mother 3 fan translation, and at least in my experience, they're educated and reasonable (they never claim "MOTHER IS THE BEST EVERR!" most of the time they start their opinions with "In my opinion,", etc).

Some of them might be rabid, but what fanbase is rabid-free?

There's plenty of worse fanbases out there that never even accomplished anything, and are more annoying than the Mother one, I don't get why the Mother fanbase gets so much flak.

>> No.2766718

>>2766097
How do you know that's why people like the game? Couldn't they just have grown up with it or learned about it through smash? The anti-fanbases are as shitty as autistic and ruin threads as much if not more than the rabid fans.

>> No.2766719

>>2766718
>The anti-fanbases are as shitty as autistic and ruin threads as much if not more than the rabid fans.

Very, very true.

Metafans are the worst.

>> No.2766720
File: 88 KB, 5000x5000, 1444325953039.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2766696
I'm not sure if this bait or not, but I'll bite. Earthbound's gameplay, despite your scathing sarcasm, was primitive even for its time. FFV came out 2 years before it, and remains the pinnacle of RPG gameplay to this day. Chrono Trigger had a simple battle system but compensated with top-notch encounter design, and it did so while having a great story and presentation nevertheless. Dragon Quest games had other redeeming factors, like class systems, also years before EB came out. That's why these games are praised as a whole. But Earthbound's gameplay was total mediocrity on the level with ultra-generic titles like Secret of the Stars or Dual Orb. There is really no comparing it to any FF title or CT.

But let's presume gameplay doesn't matter. After all there are good visual novels out there that have no gameplay at all but manage to deliver a compelling experience just by the way of sound, graphics and story. Why should I be blown by Earthbound in this case? The story was all over the place and isn't anything particularly mindblowing. The main characters aren't two-dimensional, the count of their dimensions comes after a period and several zeroes and I found it hard to care for any of them. All the game has going for it is a "quirky" modern setting, graphical direction and "fridge horror", and there are games out there that do it better.

But please do tell us about the masterful string-pulling that we uninformed plebs are incapable of seeing.

>> No.2766725

>Hurt earthbound so bad
Please
It's a stellar game but it's a JRPG so if you hate that style then this won't appeal to you.

Earthbound's strength isn't the combat system or the general overview of the plot, it's in the small stuff (something different from virtually all other JRPGs). The encounters, the creatures, the atmosphere (light-hearted and "comfy"), the jokes, etc etc. It breaks the formula of the other JRPGs in those respects and it does it well, and it deserves merit for that. Not to mention the music.

People don't play it and love because they're plebs, they play it and love it because there's stuff to love in there

>> No.2766726

>>2766452
>I probably wouldn't even care about it if the fans could at least admit that it's not very good as a game and they just like it for the setting.

Hello I am an Earthbound fan. The game was mediocre Dragon Quest JRPG parody gameplay wise but the setting, characters, music were amazing. JRPGs are addicting to me so any grind is fun and can be bearable. The trippy backgrounds were a nice touch at least.

There was someone in the Zelda thread talking about how 3D zelda games had better atmosphere but not as good gameplay. I think setting just does it for a lot of people where as other people are satisfied by gameplay. It might explain everything about opinions on the internet really.

>> No.2766731
File: 55 KB, 500x375, 1411590846056.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2766720
>FFV came out 2 years before it, and remains the pinnacle of RPG gameplay to this day.

>> No.2766749
File: 19 KB, 400x400, what_the_fuck_am_I_reading.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2766030
>only one person says they hate Earthbound on another thread
>creates this thread

>> No.2766752

>>2766720
>But let's presume gameplay doesn't matter. After all there are good visual novels out there that have no gameplay at all but manage to deliver a compelling experience just by the way of sound, graphics and story. Why should I be blown by Earthbound in this case? The story was all over the place and isn't anything particularly mindblowing. The main characters aren't two-dimensional, the count of their dimensions comes after a period and several zeroes and I found it hard to care for any of them. All the game has going for it is a "quirky" modern setting, graphical direction and "fridge horror", and there are games out there that do it better.
>But please do tell us about the masterful string-pulling that we uninformed plebs are incapable of seeing.

It kind of blow sme away that people just can't understand how it feels to have fun experience videogames.

The ordinary and mundane aspect is its charm. It wasn't supposed to be mindblowing or have complex characters.The character's dialogues were what made the game. Itoi was a writer. The story was extremely simple so the interactions you had with everyday characters are what made that game shine. You were supposed to react to what the characters wer esaying and think about how you could interact with humans in your own life that were strange and unique.

>All the game has going for it is a "quirky" modern setting, graphical direction and "fridge horror", and there are games out there that do it better.

You can't do better than something subjective.

Nobody thinks it's a masterpiece. Mos tpeople take it for what it is or just love it a lot.

>> No.2767148
File: 51 KB, 500x711, 1444611891942.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2766030
The game has character, but the game play is god awful.

>> No.2767215

Hipsters like it, therefore contrarian faggots have to despise it on here, which turned into it being a meme to claim it's a flaming bag of shit whenever it gets brought up.

It's one of the top ten SNES rpgs and while it's far from flawless, it was very unique, in my opinion.

>> No.2767218

>>2766752
>>2767215
Spotted the underage rose tinted glasses wearing manchildren. Go shit your diaper somewhere else.

>> No.2767221

>>2767218

Neither of these posts say that the game is perfect or the best ever, what rose tinted glasses are they supposed to be wearing? Maybe yours are shit-stained?

>> No.2767227

>>2767218
spotted /v/

I love Earthbound because I enjoy JRPGs (which most people ITT seem not to) and because it had a stellar world, soundtrack, design, and fun story to it.

I enjoyed all the little things it added in to make the world feel rich and make you feel like a kid going on an epic adventure rather than some super insane magical demigod.

>> No.2767236 [DELETED] 
File: 997 KB, 382x407, Hipster Scum.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2767227
>I love Earthbound
Nice samefag.

Pic is you.

>> No.2767243

>>2766708
I have no idea, as I try to stay away of as many groups of people I can, even here, but it's the most common complaint I had seen. Until this thread, now I see there's people who think it's an overrated game.

I see where they're coming from but I did like the game, specially the soundtrack and overall design and theme. I also used to be very good friends with someone who loved it, enjoyed the translation of 3 and even contemplated getting the fanbook so I can't speak about that either. Maybe it's just internet groups colliding?

>>2766731
Welp, I wouldn't call it the "pinnacle" of RPG gameplay but you have to admit it's great to play. Certainly more flexible than Earthbound.

>> No.2767542

>>2766030
Very few people "hate" EB. Faggots who shit up the board with constant EB threads, that's a different story.

>> No.2767992

Mom 3 is the only one worth playing, just saying.

>> No.2768054

>can't afford it
It's 2015 you can emulate it on whatever shit android device you have. Mobile shitposters should be permabanned. Sage.

>> No.2769137

>>2767243
>now I see there's people who think it's an overrated game.

Using overrated as a criticism lost all meaning to me now because people use it for everything that people talk about they don't like. I think people talk about Earthbound so much that new people go in expecting amazing game play for some reason. It's all about hype and expectations. Nobody is playing Earthbound for perfect gameplay, but that doesn't mean it's a bad game.

All the shit slinging over LttP and Ocarina has to do with atmosphere vs gameplay too.

>> No.2769207

>>2766495
>There's many different kind of retards out there.

Like you, for thinking that Mother 1 is "extremely underrated".

>> No.2769219

>>2766696
>But mostly it's the fact that Earthbound hides its brilliance really well, and even most people who like the game can only describe it as charming and quirky, and can't see the masterful string-pulling that's going on.

Pretentious as fuck and a prime example of why people hate the fanbase.

Good job.

>> No.2770217

>>2766515
>I experienced banjo and kazooie when it came out, and I tried to go back and play it..
>I fucking hated it
What do you hate about it, underaged?

>> No.2770228

>>2770217
>underaged
almost got me, I'm 29 though
and I just don't like collectathons. Other than that I couldn't get used to the controls.

>> No.2770231

>>2770228
>and I just don't like collectathons. Other than that I couldn't get used to the controls.
That makes enough sense, reddit.

>> No.2770239

I never liked Banjo-Kazooie that much. Got it as a kid when it came out, played a bit, got frustrated by the controls and the level designs, and returned it in exchange of Star Wars Racer, pretty good decision because I enjoyed that one a lot

I got BK again as an adult and while I enjoyed it a bit more, I still never finished it.

What's weird is that I actually enjoyed and got a 101% completion rate on DK64, which many people seem to dislike. I didn't think it was amazing, but it was pretty good other than the racing minigame in the desert level.

>> No.2770245
File: 145 KB, 1111x597, toomuchDanke.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

the combat is slow, the graphics, (yes because I was 12 when I first saw it and the first impression stuck with me) look like ass, and because SNES rpg library is GOAT and this would have been the greatest Sega game gear game if it came out on that. but not on snes

>> No.2770334
File: 134 KB, 575x766, usedpizza.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2766030
In terms strictly of game play, not story, not presentation, not fanbase, not anything beyond how it plays, it's the exact same tedious, unengaging garbage as 99% of JRPGs. There is nothing exciting or fun about turn-based combat, grinding (don't give me crap about the auto-wins, they're a nice thought but really exist to tell you to go to the next area and grind there), nor constantly going through menus. It's as dull, repetitive, and chore-like as its great grand-daddy, Dragon Quest.

There is no part of its plot, writing, or aesthetics that can justify, for me, playing it. It's as fun as scrubbing the floor.

>> No.2770353

I used to dislike RPGs for the longest time, it wasn't until my 20s that I started taking a liking to turn-based RPGs, as I was always a more arcade/action guy.

There's fun to be had with these kind of games, but for some people it's an acquired taste, me for example. I would always argue the same about them: it's not "real gameplay", just going through menues and see shit happen. Well, it kinda is like that, but there's also the sense of adventure in these games, not everything about videogames has to be the action (although in my case, reflex/physics-based gameplay is the best, I understand it's a subjective opinion of mine).

So, from an anti-RPG background, I came to enjoy NES RPGs, like Dragon Quest III. I hear even many diehard JRPG fans have trouble getting into old NES games, but I enjoyed it, Mother 1 as well.
I'd say these older RPGs are more appealing to me, the battles are quick since they barely have animations, and of course not a single loading time. I enjoyed some modern 3D RPGs, like Nocturne, but I'd still rather play older 2D ones.
I still never played and beat any PS1-era RPG, back when those were new, I wouldn't play any RPG, so I have a huge backlog of RPGs from the 5th gen. I won't play them all but I still want to play some classics like FF VII, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Xenogears, etc.

>> No.2770512

>>2766030
>Is it because you can't afford it, so you've convinced yourself that the game is shit in order to justify not owning it?
>paying 150 dollars for a game I can get for like 8 dollars on my Wii
I'm sorry, I'm not a collectorfag.
There's literally no good reason to not emulate it, get a flashcart, or to get it on Virtual Console, unless you're a serious collector.

The short is, it's a good game, the writing is unique, but the fans make it up to be more than it is.
It's good, but not the best ever.

Because of this, contrarians latch on to it, like that spergerking who posts that picture of the projectile vomiting dog in near every EB thread.

>> No.2770526

>>2766085
>why do hipsters cling to it
Because it sold poorly and is very different from anything else.

I think it's good, but there's people who value it for it's obscurity instead of the actual substance of the game. It's not even that obscure anymore though, and it's dirt cheap on VC so hopefully it'll become a quirky classic in gamer circles more and more as time goes on.

>> No.2770534

>>2766224
>Well, maybe from the Atheists for that stupid ending...
It was literally one fedoralord taking issue with the concept of prayer one time, don't use plural form.

>> No.2770576

>>2766452
Gameplay is mostly mediocre but it has a few points which makes it stand out, in my opinion.

>rolling HP and health management
The HP ticking down doesn't make much of a difference until you're strong enough, but it does add a time element. The health management isn't anything terribly special, but I'm always enamored by food items in videogames, and EB has no shortage of those.

>enemies
They're actually visible entities in the world, every fight is an entity which approached you in the game world, or who you approached, battles never came from nothing, you could evade enemies or sneak up on them.
They also had fun designs, and some would just waste a turn and dispense a fun line of text, like, the hippie will sometimes spend his turn to take out a ruler and measure something, it gives enemies a lot of character for a game with turn based combat.

But really, if you turn on cheats with an Action Replay or whatever, and just fucking steamroll/scare off every enemy ever, and just explore the world, take part in the story and setting, you actually don't lose out on terribly much.

>> No.2770616

>>2766476
Lots of exposure ≠ good marketing.

You can reach your target audience, but if you can't appeal to them and get you interested in your product you fucked up.

>> No.2770620

>>2766053
I thought SNES games were $8 on VC. I got mine for free thanks to Club Nintendo shutting down and the Wii Mini trick though.

>> No.2770632

>>2766548
They're obviously not fantastic but overral consensus by customers is thst quality is agreeable for the price, as well as being convenient.

Is a BigMac great? Not really, it can't compare to a fresh beef patty from a real BBQ grill or frying pan with your choice of bread, condiments, and drinks. McD has pretty nice fries but a decent cook can make better ones himself, they also wont serve you rum & coke.

You don't buy McD for a culinary experience, but because it's a cheap convenience which is adequate to most.

I don't get why people kneejerk at fast food for not being excellent when that isn't the point. If you don't like it, fine, but at least take it at face value.

>> No.2770638

>>2768054
Fuck you some of us like posting while taking a poo.

>> No.2770681

>>2770638
Yeah

>tfw horrible diarreah
>tfw nauseous and tired, can't sleep properly at all
>tfw gone to shit 15 times this evening alone
My mobile is all I have today, I can't leave the toilet or stray far from it, there's no choice.

4chan is all I have, man.

>> No.2770838

>>2766720
>remains the pinnacle of RPG gameplay to this day
5 is my favorite FF, but come the fuck on nigger

There's many ways to make an RPG, and while FFV has nice gameplay, it's hardly the best.

Shining Force has more depth in gameplay in my opinion.

>> No.2770850

>>2770838
You had good points till shining force, dear god, I could be blacked out and beat that game. The gameplay is anything but engaging.

>> No.2770878

>>2766030
Pretty sure most of the hate is just a reactionary thing because a lot of people don't want the fanbase it attracts to post here. Kinda like how /a/ will shit all over Naruto fans. Personally I like Earthbound but am kinda sick of still seeing it hailed as some super underrated gem when everyone and their grandma has played it by now.

>> No.2770880

People on this board will shit on any game then overreact when other people find that game enjoyable. Ignore them unless they have something constructive to say.

>> No.2770882

>>2770850
Tried playing the hardmode in the GBA port?

>> No.2770884

Pretty sure the board doesn't hate the game, but they're just tired of hearing of it every 2 minutes.

Earthbound is my favorite RPG, but I'm not going to jerk about it.

>> No.2770886

Pretty average game. Has the same cancerous fanfare going around about it as Majora's Mask because muh 2 deep 4 u fisher-price game

>> No.2771153

>>2770886

Your opinion is a meme, I hope you're aware of that.

>> No.2771162

From special snowflakes jrpg to overhyped hipster trash.
Both sides are bad.
And it show how you shouldn't never go full retard.

>> No.2771235

>>2766030
Edgy hipster contrarianism. Welcome to 4chan.

>> No.2771278

>>2766030
Earthbound is good, but it's way overhyped.

>> No.2771553

I leave /vr/ for a few months and they hate Earthbound now? and they use the term 'meme' to describe why they don't like it? holy fucking shit, first /v/ turning into neo-/v/ and now neo-/v/ taking over /vr/? the cancer is unstoppable

>> No.2771757

>>2771553
>I leave /vr/ for a few months and they hate Earthbound now?
But we don't, not in any greater capacity than before.

Don't tell me you've never seen contrarian shitposting before.
I suppose /vr/ isn't quite as cheerful and happy as it was the first couple of years, but I still think we're pretty good around here.

All we need to do is to kill the grognards so that we can a discuss games on their own merits, without some incredibly bitter old fuck who invests his ego in his childhood nostalgia comes in and spews bile because "all these fucking millenials are doing it wrong and if you're not 35 and know how to work a Commodore 64 blindfolded you shouldn't be alowed in here".

I doubt we'll ever get fully rid of the contrarians though, we don't have as many as /v/ obviously, but they're very much here.

>> No.2772685

>>2771757
>I suppose /vr/ isn't quite as cheerful and happy as it was the first couple of years, but I still think we're pretty good around here.

This pretty much happened on /toy/ and /m/ too. The more specific a board the nicer it seems to be, but it always goes to shit a tiny bit. I think a lot of it might just be rose tinted glasses though?

>> No.2772695

>>2771553
>I leave ___ for a few months maymay

>>>/v/

ANNNNNNNND STAY THERE HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

>> No.2772758
File: 188 KB, 492x440, link meh.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2766495
>others might "hate" simply because it's a Nintendo game.

Id argue that more people simply "like" it because it's a Nintendo game

>> No.2772860

>>2766030
You ever farted so hard you thought you shit yourself? It's a pretty odd feeling cause you wanna check to be sure but at the same time you kinda don't wanna know since if you did shit yourself from the fart that would not only be nasty to see dookie all over your undies but also really embarrassing. Like damn I'd never let that down if it happened to me again.

>> No.2773090

>>2772685
Eh, I suppose, such as /k/ feeling like it used to have much less /pol/ on it before Sandy Hook, but I have to be honest with myself, there was always /pol/tergeists there.

>> No.2773103

>>2772685
> I think a lot of it might just be rose tinted glasses though?
A bit I suppose, but I just remember how happy people were, finally we could talk about videogames, and videogames being fun, without some hipster dipshit coming in and being all "Nyeh, those games weren't ACTUALLY fun, you're just a nostalgiafag, nyerrr."

It was to the point that people were even making fun of how nice we all were to each other.
I think some of it rested in mods paying a lot of attention to the place and quickly stomping on any /v/ermin, but they don't pay this board a lot of mind these days, and I think it suffers for it a bit.

>> No.2773252

>>2773103
No yeah I get it. /toy/ was the most similar to /vr/ and the exact same thing happened. We used to have giveaways and stuff too.

>> No.2773271

>>2772860
Is there a point you forgot to make, or did it fall out of your ass along with your post?

>> No.2773503

>>2766030
I love the game. I just cant stand a,lot of my fellow fans.

>> No.2774318

>>2773271
I just wanna know if anyone went through that experience. Like seriously dude imagine the situation. You're just sitting down shitposting then suddenly rip a major fart that feels as if you yourself shitposted your pants. Would you just sit there and pray that it never happened or would you check? Either way you're screwed cause you're either gonna get some poopy in your briefs or a huge gas cloud will fly up in your face.

>> No.2774325

>>2766030
>Why does everybody on this board seem to hate Earthbound? Be honest. Is it because you can't afford it

I dunno, you tell me. How much does it cost to download a four megabyte file?

>> No.2774329
File: 60 KB, 317x302, 1405835233074.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2774318
>as if you yourself shitposted your pants

>> No.2774340
File: 10 KB, 200x200, berserker.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2766069
>OoT is a great 8.5/10 game and one that you had to experience around the time it came out to notice how truly amazing it was

If you have to have experienced it when it was new, then it's not a great game. Stop using this flimsy argument.

Also you're forgetting that a lot of us on /vr/ were primarily PC gamers, not console gamers. No, I didn't get to experience Ocarina of Time when it was new. I was too busy playing Half-Life, Quake 2, Starcraft, Final Fantasy VII, Baldur's Gate, Diablo, Fallout 1 and 2, Blood... well, you get my point.

I can see why Ocarina of Time is so applauded. It came at the end of a two year dry spell where the N64 had no noteworthy games, while PC gaming flourished. And no, don't try to tell me Goldeneye was a good game. Goldeneye fucking sucked.

>> No.2774345 [DELETED] 

>>2774340
>Also you're forgetting that a lot of us on /vr/ were primarily PC gamers, not console gamers.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH A HOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHO A HEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHE A FUFUFUFUFUFUFUFUFUFUFUFUFUFUFUFUFUFUFUFUFUFUFUFUFUFUFUFUFUFUFUFUFUFUFUFUFUFUFUFUFUFUFUFUFUFUFUFU A JAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJA

>> No.2774347

>>2774345
What the fuck? Talk normal if you have a point to make. Use your words, aspie.

>> No.2774349

>>2774347
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

>> No.2774350
File: 48 KB, 450x660, 1212287090724.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2774340
>what is the atari 2600

>> No.2774354

>>2766518
>why was the mother series popular in Japan?

Because the entire series is easy as shit and they don't have the time to get good at games when they can work a job or do school work instead. So they can actually make progress in the series. Same with Dragon Quest.

>> No.2774356

>>2774354
Dragon Quest is not an easy game you filthy /v/ermin.

>> No.2774357
File: 101 KB, 600x450, moving goalposts.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2774350
>what is the atari 2600
Wrong era, Aspergerstein. Don't move the goalposts.

>> No.2774359

>>2774357
SPERG SPERG SPERG EVERYONE WHO PROVES ME WRONG IS A SPERG SPERG SPERG AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH SPERG SPERG SPERG SPEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRG

>> No.2774361
File: 4 KB, 400x400, miss-the-point[1].png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2774357
>Retro gamers grew up with PCs! Even when consumer PCs didn't exist! Man I loved spacewar back in the day!

Please try harder, sidestepper.

>> No.2774367

>>2770217
>>2770231
>underaged
>reddit

Stop using boogyman buzzwords.

>> No.2774371

>>2774359
Autistic people have difficulty understanding the flow of conversation, and will often radically change the subject without even realizing that they're doing it.

>>2774361
Notice how all the games I listed are from the late 90's, which makes them contemporary with Ocarina of Time?

Bringing up the Atari 2600 is a complete non-sequitur. Like, we're talking "duuuh I can't read facial expressions" levels of oblivious here.

>> No.2774372

>>2774371
AUTISM EVERYONE WHO PROVES ME WRONG HAS AUTISM AUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUTISM HAHAAHAHAHAHA AUUUUUUUUTISM WHAT A PFFT HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA FUCKING AUTISM! LMAO!

>> No.2774376
File: 403 KB, 525x551, 1413587432034.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2774371
I'm sorry, but it is impossible to accurately describe a anonymous userbase, and thus, reductio ad absurdum.

>> No.2774379

>>2774376
>it is impossible to accurately describe a anonymous userbase
That's a position an autistic person would easily take. A critical concept in neurotypical functioning is "theory of mind"; i.e., the ability to gauge what others might be thinking.

>> No.2774380

Earthbound I think is kind of like Chrono Trigger. It wasn't until the age of the internet being everywhere that a good number of people heard of it. And since they both did something that was considered different, modern setting in EB and time travel in CT, than what most normies think of when they think JRPG. So they end up getting hyped up beyond what they should be. Internet reviewers also hyping them up to act as normie click bate don't help things.

Most people don't play JRPGs, even back in the SNES days you were lucky to get in the hundred thousand range. So unless the game's name was Final Fantasy no body really heard of it back then. EB and CT being different compared to what most people think JRPGs are draws in the vocal hipster crowd.

Both are good games though, they've just been over hyped to shit and this usually attracts undesirables to any fanbase. Plus them getting talked about so often can make even the most diehard fan just tired of them.

>> No.2774381

>>2774379
HAHAHAHA AUTISM OH MY HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA WHAT A LOL JUST AUTISM HEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEEEEEEEEEEEEE AU HAHAHAHAHA TISM HOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOOHO

>> No.2774386

>>2774372
Saying 'atari 2600' is still pointless, I have no idea what point he was trying to make, and he posted a pic like he got btfo. Atari 2600 kid was insane.

>> No.2774389

>>2774356
Yes it is. A game being tedious, like RPGs usually are, does not make it difficult.

>> No.2774391
File: 117 KB, 720x960, 1443735650364.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>liking hipster garbage

>> No.2774392

>>2774386
INSANE?! YOU THINK THAT'S INSANE?! OH BOY OH BOY OH BOY YOU DON'T KNOW INSANE?! WANNA KNOW INSANE?! HEHEHEHE I TOOK TWO COOKIES WHEN MOM SAID I COULD ONLY HAVE ONE! SHE'S GONNA FLIP I'M SO BONKERS! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

>> No.2774397
File: 191 KB, 1600x1584, C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_1432229568251.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2774392

>> No.2774401
File: 39 KB, 600x322, altair[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2774379
Okay, and now you're just projecting.

I never claimed to know what you're thinking, but rather, inferred from your statement, that you personally believe, and I quote, comma:

> a lot of us on /vr/ were primarily PC gamers

>not console gamers.

The IBM PC came out in '81.

The 2600 came out in '77.

Unless you can somehow convince me that there was a large enough userbase to program "games" for the Altair or Apple 1, I'm going to continue calling you a retard.

Pic related, what your dumb ass thought everyone was scrambling to buy.

>> No.2774507

>>2774401
Dude, why are you this obsessed with the Atari 2600? Literally nobody is talking about that dusty old thing but you. Everyone else is trying to have a discussion about the state of gaming in the mid-to-late 90's (the era of Earthbound, Ocarina of Time, Quake, etc.)

You're being awfully "that guy" right now.

>> No.2774514

HERE
>>2774507
>>2774507
>>2774507
Alright buddy I've had it up to with you!

>> No.2774517

>>2774507
I know, I just decided to pontificate on a semantic.

On a thread that was entirely subjective and never deserved to exist in the first place.

>> No.2774519
File: 54 KB, 390x356, aladdin eating bread.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2774514

>> No.2774527

>>2774389
You clearly never played Dragon Quest if you seriously believe this /v/ermin.

>> No.2774818

it was just ok

I didn't like the characters mainly

>> No.2774831

>>2774340

I grew up on both consoles and PC and OOT blew my fucking brains off while on PC I only had clunky 3D shit like tomb raider and FPSs as far as modern 3D games went.

I had an elitist PC friend who had never played most console titles during the 90s, and always joked about how Mario and Zelda are so childish, etc. He never thought of them seriously, but he never gave them a chance either, mainly because he couldn't, I guess.
Once he emulated it, he came back saying OOT was legitimately one of the best games he's every played and that he was wrong about his console prejudge before.

You just sound like sour grapes to be honest. "I was playing this other games so OOT is not great, because I didn't have a N64".

Most people judge the games for the games themselves, not for the platform. Most logical people, anyway.
Whether you like the Nintendo brand or not, whether you like the N64 console or not, OOT was universally acclaimed, you just have an unpopular opinion (that doesn't matter, by the way).

I'm yawning at your boring PC-only gamer list of FPS, RTS, WRPG and 1 token babby's first JRPG list.

>> No.2775651

>>2774831
>I grew up on both consoles and PC and OOT blew my fucking brains off while on PC I only had clunky 3D shit like tomb raider and FPSs as far as modern 3D games went
Okay, you had a shitty PC then. Sorry to hear it?

>You just sound like sour grapes to be honest.
Grown-ups call it "wine", honey. Now go back to the kid table and drink your grape juice.

>I'm yawning at your boring PC-only gamer list
So Quake, Blood, and Fallout are "boring" now? This IS /vr/, right? I didn't stumble into /v/ by mistake?

I'm not saying Ocarina of Time is a bad game. I'm saying it's overhyped due to the fact that the N64 has like, maybe five games worth playing in 2015.

Sorry to hear you were one of those lonely kids who got stuck playing single-player games in your room while your older siblings were out drinking, fucking, and playing Quake.

>> No.2775664

>>2775651

A single-system peasant trying to make me feel bad for being a multi-platform idort. This is funny.

I had a modern PC, I enjoyed FPSs like Quake and what not, but there's more in life than just FPS and RTS, you know? silly single-system peasant.

>Grown-ups call it "wine", honey. Now go back to the kid table and drink your grape juice.

You think wine is "sour"? I think you're the kid here. Sour Grapes means something else, you need to go back to school, I think.

>So Quake, Blood, and Fallout are "boring" now? This IS /vr/, right? I didn't stumble into /v/ by mistake?

But /v/ loves FPS, and they're hyped for shit like Fallout 4. You're on /vr/, we don't really care that much for FPSs, but there's the doom general containment thread if you'd like. I bet you already post Source engine mods there.

>I'm not saying Ocarina of Time is a bad game. I'm saying it's overhyped due to the fact that the N64 has like, maybe five games worth playing in 2015.

I already told you, judge not the game for its platform, silly single-system peasant, not my fault if you were poor and only could afford 1 platform.

>Sorry to hear you were one of those lonely kids who got stuck playing single-player games in your room while your older siblings were out drinking, fucking, and playing Quake.

Now this is irony gold. A PC gamer who probably spent his whole childhood and adolescense playing boring WRPGs alone in his room telling someone who actually owned a N64 (the de facto multiplayer console of 5th gen) that he was a lonely kid playing single-player games. Seriously, dude? N64 was only a single-player machine? Awful bait.

Honestly I wish single-system peasants like you would be forbidden from expressing their opinions on the internet. Your experience with videogames is so segmented and limited that you should know your place and just shut up.

>> No.2775672

>>2775664
>You think wine is "sour"? I think you're the kid here.
Good wine does have a certain tanginess to it, yes. Concorde is for children.

>Sour Grapes means something else
Thanks for the grammar lesson, Professor Asperger.

>> No.2775674
File: 2.68 MB, 400x225, implying explosion.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2775664
>You're on /vr/, we don't really care that much for FPSs

>> No.2775680

>>2775672

Eh, I'd argue with you that not all good wine needs to have a certain tanginess to it, but I'd rather keep discussing video games, we can keep discussing about wine in /ck/ if you'd like.

>>2775674
Not saying /vr/ doesn't like FPSs, just that we don't think it's the ultimate genre, like /v/ does. Doom, Blood and Quake are fun games, but there's more in life than FPS.
/v/ likes FPS a lot more than /vr/ since FPS became a more streamlined and popular genre after /vr/ times.

>> No.2775703

>>2775664
Maybe his parents don't drink gay shit like merlot or anything from californication and the only wine he's ever tasted was sour to his young pallet?

>> No.2775706

>>2775703

Maybe, but I'd rather keep the wine offtopic discussion out, we can make a thread in /ck/ if we really need to discuss wine.

I want to focus on making fun of him for being a single-system peasant and being angry that other people got to enjoy multiple games across multiple platforms and thus have a broader, wider experience with video games than him.

>> No.2775718

>>2775651
>I'm saying it's overhyped due to the fact that the N64 has like, maybe five games worth playing in 2015.

Fuck off back to /tv/, kid.

>>>/tv/

>> No.2775751

>>2766030
I like the game. I just feel like it isnt that rare. Ive seen less copies of Chrono Trigger

>> No.2775765

>>2775751
I've seen your mum's pussy only once but that don't mean everyone hasn't played with it.

>> No.2775848

>>2775765
>i've never seen a pussy in my life

>> No.2776325

>>2774831
>babby's first JRPG
Because the N64 had such a great selection of JRPG's, right?

For that matter, how many FPS, RTS, and WRPG's did the N64 have?

Fighting games?

Shmups?

Seriously, did the N64 have anything that wasn't a platformer or sports game? lol

>> No.2776346

>>2776325

I was just making fun of his epic PC-gaymer list with the token JRPG that he choose because it was one of the few JRPGs from that era that got a PC port.

>Seriously, did the N64 have anything that wasn't a platformer or sports game? lol

Stuff like Sin and Punishment, bangai-O or hybrid heaven are pretty cool N64 games that aren't platformers or sports, give them a try if you haven't.
Everybody knows N64 doesn't have a lot of RPGs, although it does have some good stuff like Ogre Battle or Shiren 2, most were left in Japan anyway.
I believe the N64 was known for its FPSs like Goldeneye, Turok, Perfect Dark, etc (never was too much into the genre myself).

You've also got an exclusive version of Starcraft on N64, but again I'm not really a fan of the genre, I think FPS and RTS are just better on PC anyway, playing RTS on consoles must be kind of awkward, I imagine.

>> No.2776379

>>2774340
I played Outcast more.

>> No.2776381
File: 340 KB, 1680x1050, 1418981924924.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2776379

>> No.2776383

>>2776379

don't want to be a dick because Outcast was really good, but it came out a year after Ocarina of Time, and only a few months before Shenmue

>> No.2776398

>>2775848
Yeah you clearly haven't m8 if you never got around with ur mum yet.

>> No.2776618

Here's how it goes

>normal person plays a game
>it's OK, but nothing special
>meets fanbase of the game
>fanbase makes idiotic false claims about the quality of the game ("teh bast evar!!!!111")
>fanbase acts like insufferable faggots if somebody disagrees
>fanbase tries to shoehorn their game into every discussion and talks shit about other games
>normal person starts hating the fanbase and by extension the game as well
>realizes the game isn't even OK, but has overlooked flaws
>realizes the game is shit and so is everyone who likes it

>> No.2776624

>>2776618
Literally none of that ever happened. You sound like some retard from /v/ who gets shocked when you telling someone a game they like is shit ends with a negative outcome.

>>>/v/

Now please stay there. I'd really hate it if our janitor had to deal with your shitposting because she really doesn't need that right now.

>> No.2776643

>>2776624

We only have one Janitor? 0-o

Coulda fooled me.

>> No.2776856

>>2774340
Man I fucking hate western PC rpgs and strategy games. Not shitposting, just saying when those were all coming out and my PC friends were screaming about how amazing warcraft was, I didn't see the appeal at all. Something about them, I don't know, still hate em.

>> No.2776887

>>2772695

>using the word maymay
>calling something a meme that isn't a meme
>obviously has no idea what the word means
>still telling other posters to go back to /v/

I'm not going to tell you to go back to /v/ because that's only what the most cancerous shitposters like yourself do to pretend you're somehow too mature to be posting there. I will tell you to just leave 4chan though, and come back when your balls have dropped, you obnoxious little turd.

>> No.2776903

>>2776624
>>>/v/
>Now please stay there.

What is with you children who blame every opinion you don't like on some /v/ boogeyman? Grow up.

>> No.2776905

>>2776618

There's nothing normal about hating a game you used to like just because it became somewhat popular and you hate it's fanbase. It's an utterly childish frame of mind to have. Don't try to portray your contrarian hipsterdom as something that rational and mature people do, it's the exact fucking opposite.

I think the funniest part is that you're not alone here either. Half of the board think with the same intellectually stunted, adolescent mindset. And every one of them like to think of themselves as oh so mature and respectable, telling anyone who disagrees with their elitist opinions to go back to /v/. You know, because that's where the kids are and you're such a mature reasonable adult, right? Laughable.

Now, Earthbound was an unconventional game for it's time and also not without it's flaws, so there are many varying opinions to be had on it, good or bad. But if you can't try to be objective and discuss the game without freaking out over the fanbase and basing your opinion on what other people think of it, then you honestly need to grow up.

>> No.2776909

>>2776903

It's kinda like the trend a little while back of people telling you to go back to reddit. I had never even used reddit at the time for anything other than trap porn, so I didn't even understand what was so bad about it. Turns out, what was so bad about it was the people migrating from reddit to 4chan and telling people who disagreed with their opinions to go back to reddit.

>> No.2777517

>>2776903
Shut the fuck up kid and go back to /v/ already.

>>2776909
You too cunt.

Hey janitor I'm sorry if you gotta deal with these rude assholes soon but I'm always there for you hun~

>> No.2777982

So what's the best way to play Earthbound? Any essential romhacks?