[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 101 KB, 640x454, Donkey.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2765592 No.2765592 [Reply] [Original]

ITT: Trump Tier Games

>> No.2765596

But DKC is mediocre at best and Trump is destined to be God-Emperor of Mankind.

>> No.2765623

>>2765592

>trump tier

what

>>2765596
>But DKC is mediocre

what (oh yeah, this one I guess I can understand, "opinions", etc)

>> No.2765637
File: 58 KB, 700x321, 1396004456439.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

trump as president is like adding knuckles to sonic 3

>> No.2765664

trump tier games?
all silent hill games by the American game studio

>> No.2765819
File: 121 KB, 300x303, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Bonk's Revenge

Fun as fuck, with great exploration, fruit collecting and excellent level design. Not to mention an assload of bonus levels.

It's not a 5 hour long game, but it's quality over quantity

>> No.2765823

>>2765819
Also no timer, so you can go at your own pace.

>> No.2765958
File: 293 KB, 360x500, wall-street-kid-usa.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Trumpiest of games

>> No.2766462

>>2765592
I've come to the decision that I don't much like this game. Everything is solid on paper, the level design and how it plays, and the music and visuals are good. I'm still working on exactly what I dislike about it, I think part of it is that the camera is too far zoomed in, so you can't really speed through the game the way it feels you can unless you memorize the maps. I have the same complaint about a number of games from roughly the same time period, Vectorman and Phantom 2040 come to mind.

>> No.2766481

>>2765592
DKC isn't that good though. I actually really preferred country returns

The problem with DKC is that it is one of the most formulaic platformers ever, and I felt like you were never really able to fully appreciate the levels. It had little in terms of base game, and just used a formula of gimmicks.

More or less every level was;
Gimmick
Slightly different version of gimmick
Slightly different version of gimmick
Cross signpost which says you're near the end of the level.
Psyche you out with very difficult version of gimmick.

It's mediocre, and the difficulty is also there from the very beginning too. Hell, I found most of the late game levels easier than some at the start.

A good difficult platformer would be something like the original Rayman.

>> No.2767538

Why is /pol/ leaking into /vr/?

What a stupid thread.

>> No.2767814

I need a real chill SNES game to play tonight... What does /vr/ recommend? Something laid back with some ambient type music to play late at night... Suggestions are appreciated.

>> No.2767830

>>2766462

There's a few things not to like about it.

>the camera, like you said
>the joyless, low-key visuals and audio are a terrible fit for the game. it feels like Myst: The Platformer.
>difficulty spikes are common, which is made more frustrating by the sparse save poiints
>no secret levels, and hidden areas are too often found by jumping down a bottomless pit and hoping it doesn't kill you
>animal buddies are underutilized, but that's nitpicking

Still better than 90% of the platformers on the SNES.

>> No.2767835

>>2767814

SimEarth is pretty chill. Probably too chill.

>> No.2767848 [DELETED] 
File: 24 KB, 256x224, 393515-doremi_fantasy___milon_no_dokidoki_daibouken001.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2767814
This game has some of the chllest music I've heard on an SNES, and an atmosphere to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9OXG25htaQ

However, as to how chill the game itself exactly is you'll have to see for yourself as I've only listened to the soundtrack and I've yet to play it, sorry.

>> No.2767851
File: 24 KB, 256x224, 393515-doremi_fantasy___milon_no_dokidoki_daibouken001.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2767814
This game has some of the chillest music I've heard on an SNES, and an atmosphere to match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9OXG25htaQ

However, as to how chill the game itself exactly is you'll have to see for yourself as I've only listened to the soundtrack and I've yet to play it, sorry.

>> No.2767861

>>2767835
>>2767851

both of these are appreciated. and more suggestions are welcome...

>> No.2767939

>>2766481
>gimmick
Notice how if you replace this with "level feature" you haven't said anything substantial.

>> No.2767940

>>2767830
>joyless, low-key visuals and audio
Trying too hard, my friend.

>> No.2767997

DKC1 is mediocre at best, shit tier at worst. Some of the blandest and derivative level design I've ever seen.

DKC2 on the other hand is the most improved sequel of all time. Seriously a great fucking game.

>> No.2768070

>>2767814
>>2767861
Demon's Crest. More haunting than chill, and a bit spoopy, but definitely chill. No percussion in its soundtrack, and slow paced.

>> No.2768135
File: 138 KB, 640x480, Sinclair-Earl.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2767997
>derivative level design
[citation needed]

>> No.2768309

>>2765592
i thought xcom was the donald trump game

>> No.2768435

>>2767851
Had this on the virtual console. Graphics bredy gud for SNES, OST is pretty good, gameplay isn't great but not bad either. Solid 6/10 game.

>> No.2768478

>>2767997
>Some of the blandest and derivative level design I've ever seen.

What the fuck? That game has brilliant level design. It's very intuitive and fluid, with a keen attention to detail.

The developers also gave you the option of running through levels as fast as you can, or taking your time and progressing slowly. They designed the levels to accommodate both play styles. That, in and of itself, is worthy of recognition.

As well, the variety of worlds is very nice, and there are plenty of secrets strewn throughout the levels in creative ways.

Another thing worth mentioning is that the design style of the levels is different than both the Mario and Sonic games, which most companies were copying at the time.

The game definitely has good level design.

>> No.2768518

>>2765596
>>2766462
>>2766481
>>2767830
>>2767997

Glad to see this game is getting the shit it deserves. I liked it when I was younger, but never owned it, so I never played the shit out of it. It wasn't until it was available on the Wii VC that I finally sat down and got to know it, and holy fuck, I was not impressed. The gameplay mechanics themselves were solid, if boring, but then, the same can be said for older Mario games. The problem was that level design was painfully forgettable, and difficulty spies were achieved by forcing you to memorize enemy placement just outside of the screen's view, or by obscuring platforms and hazards with weather effects. Not a bad game, but it's absolutely disgusting that it outsold Yoshi's Island based on visual appeal alone. All these years later, I finally understand why Miyamoto was so disappointed by this.

>> No.2768525

>>2768518
>I finally understand why Miyamoto was so disappointed by this.

Not this shit again.

>> No.2768526

>>2768525
The quote is real. inb4 that article that doesn't even address the quote at all.

>> No.2768530

>>2768526

The quote is likely a lost in translation sensationalist bullshit.

Miyamoto was the executive producer of DKC, I highly doubt he actually trash talked his own production.

I really wouldn't believe anything unless someone gets the original japanese line. Otherwise it's another baseless myth by western journos, clickbait of the 90s.

>> No.2768535

>>2768518

hurr durr and pac-man just eats pellets and avoids ghosts.

People seem to have a hard time comprehending that just because something doesn't age well, doesn't mean it wasn't cutting-edge when it was released. DKC may not seems overly impressive now with an abundance of games that have since been released... but at the time the game could not be touched. Same goes for StarFox. StarFox looks like shit now, but it get it's respect for what it was (and always will be). Respect the pioneers, bitch. And pay no mind to other people's opinions... Most actors/musicians dislike their movies/albums... being a fan of your shit is like wanting to suck your own dick.

>> No.2768536

>>2768530
>I don't like it so I'm going to assume it MUST be wrong and therefore it's a myth
Maybe Miyamoto was just mad or having a bad day, dude. It's stupid to assume that's 100% his opinion on the game to this day, but it's also stupid to deny it was said. The source is Stephen Kent who was in a meeting with Miyamoto and Tim Stamper. He is on the record stating this quote in his book The Ultimate History of Video Games and I think some G4TV retrospective.

If it was made-up bullshit, he would have been called out on it. It's not some internet rumor.

>> No.2768540

I never even noticed this game had bad hitboxes until shitposters kept bringing it up.

>> No.2768550

>>2768536

I know where the quote came from, and as I said, I don't believe western journalist, and most of all, I don't believe in their japanese knowledge.

Nobody can call him out because there's no recording or japanese original transcription of said interview (AFAIK), all we have is Miyamoto denying it (yes, he never addressed the quote itself, but he addressed the rumour that he doesn't like DKC which originated with the quote, same thing), so we have to either believe this one Kent journo, or Miyamoto.

Mind you, I'm actually not saying it's impossible that he said something like that, I just find it unlikely and he probably worded everything differently and meant a different thing. Again, if there was an original japanese transcription instead of only an english version, then I'd like to read it very much. I wouldn't mind being proven wrong, I just don't trust lousy sources.

>> No.2768554

DKC1 owns all you gossip girls. BEEOTCH!!

>> No.2768556

DKC2 is in my top 5 games of all time.
DKC3 is in my top 15 2d platformers of all time.

DKC is a solid but not great game, but since it spawned DKC2 I have to respect it. Also if others like the first the best that's neat, as everyone is allowed to have opinions.

>> No.2768559

>>2768550
>Miyamoto denying it (yes, he never addressed the quote itself, but he addressed the rumour that he doesn't like DKC which originated with the quote, same thing

That is absolutely not the same thing.

>> No.2768563

>>2768540
How could you not? I understood that concept before I even knew what hitboxes were; I was great at almost every other platformer I had played but I was exceptionally bad at DKC. I eventually realized that the game was at fault.

>> No.2768564
File: 30 KB, 342x336, wtfkid.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm mad at this game because it encourages inaccurate geography. When I was asked as a chile what country I wanted to visit the most I said DONKEY KONG!

mfw I realized Nintendo had rotted my brain

>> No.2768568

>>2768564

oops...

*child

(I have never been a country nor a pepper.)

>> No.2768574

>>2768559

And having some version of a translation quote that is only available in english on a book isn't the same as the actual words Miyamoto said. I won't take it for fact unless I get to see the actual, textual quote in its original language.

It's not the first time I've seen western journalists get completely fucked up translations from japanese, in fact I've seen it many, many times.

>> No.2768581

>>2768535
>doesn't mean it wasn't cutting-edge when it was released
Stopped reading there. If you think DKC was cutting edge, you're a fucking retard.

I also gather you're talking about graphics, which basically just proves you're a fucking pleb. DKC had some pretty graphics at the time, yes, but the gameplay is as lacking now as it was back then. It deserves no respect. Even it's graphical style of pre-rendered 3D models as sprites wasn't particularly good, it was just novel at the time because it was different.

>>2768556
>DKC is a solid but not great game, but since it spawned DKC2 I have to respect it. Also if others like the first the best that's neat, as everyone is allowed to have opinions.
I feel the same way about Sonic 1 vs. Sonic 2. I never owned 1 as a kid, played it a few times over friends' houses, but my collection started with 2. Going back to play 1, it seems like a standard, boring platform where occasionally you go through a loop-de-loop. Marble Zone is one of my most hated zones in Sonic history because it centers so much around waiting, and tedious block pushing. How the fuck did anyone think this would stand toe-to-toe against Mario back in the day? Meanwhile, I feel Sonic 2 was the first game in the series to really take the idea of speed, momentum and challenging platforming levels with multiple paths and truly weave them all together into a solid experience.

>> No.2768589

>>2768581

ok. you're obviously young an ignorant and know jack shit about the hype that surrounded DKC at it's release. it was cutting edge for the time. it was a whole new idea for the donkey kong franchise. they took a barrel throwing boss and created an entire platform with great gameplay.

you're a fucking idiot for even debating this. go back to /v/ asswipe.

>> No.2768591

>>2768581

Not reading is your problem. You think you know shit that you don't. An opinion does not make a fact.

>> No.2768595

>>2768591
>An opinion does not make a fact.

I swear if people finally understood this simple thing, arguing online would be much more pleasant and fructiferous

>> No.2768610

>>2768591
No. DKC is nothing special. This is a fact. It is a bog standard platformer that offers nothing and is actually quite lacking in terms of gameplay and design compared to most platformers of the time.

My opinion, based on that fact, is that the game sucks.

Get bent.

>>2768589
>still avoiding the fact that the gameplay itself was nothing special at all
Nothing about this shit is cutting edge.
>"HURRR, Donkey Kong has never been in a platformer! Look at this graphics! The ultimate CUTTING EDGE".
None of that shit fucking matters. The core of the game is bland crap. Always was, always will be. The problem is that ignorant morons like you mistook shit like graphics for innovation, and you're stuck thinking that way.

>> No.2768614

>>2768610

Ignornace in bliss I suppose.

You really don't know shit about the past. You start a youtube channel where you misinform everyone. That would be awesome. I'd love to see you have to debate ACTUAL FACTS with every comment you'd get... BUT BUT MUH OPINION!!... yeah, whatever. Have fun there, lil guy.

>> No.2768620

>>2768610
>>2768614
you two both cucks, tbh

>> No.2768625

>>2768620
Thanks, fam.

>> No.2768627

>>2768614
>I don't agree with this guy!
>better call him underaged and accuse him of trying to assert his opinions as facts, that way I don't have to actually offer any compelling evidence against his claims!

>> No.2768630

>>2768627

Not him but what about >>2768610 seems like a fact to you? When he says "the game sucks"?

>> No.2768638

>>2768630
They've been saying that since the board inception. It's one of the oldest trolls on the site.

>> No.2768650

>>2768638

It's funny because that kind of troll works on /v/, they don't stop to think that baseless opinions aren't facts. But it doesn't work on /vr/, we can see through the bullshit pretty clearly but they act as if it doesn't matter. I wonder if they use some kind of "I'm just PRETENDING to be retarded" logic to back up their self esteem, or if they really are that much delusional and out of touch with reality and how people in the real world discuss and have arguments.

>> No.2768659

>>2768630
Both posts you quoted are me. You seem confused.

>>2768650
I still await some sort of evidence that refutes my statement that the gameplay in DKC is not "cutting edge". All anyone has done is whine that I'm trying to pass off my opinion as fact. The fact I'm passing off is that the game is not cutting edge. My OPINION is that it sucks and is forgettable, only remembered by nostalgia fags who liked it 22 years ago because of its graphics, and were too blinded by them to realize that the core of the game itself was incredibly bland.

You fuckers just want to hide behind your shield by accusing anyone with a different opinion of being a troll. Sounds pretty ignorant to me.

>> No.2768665

>>2768659
>Both posts you quoted are me. You seem confused.

What does it change? My point still stands.

>>2768659

You still can't understand that saying words like "bland" or "forgettable" isn't really getting you anywhere. I don't need to refute anything because your opinion is worth a literal shit.

>> No.2768693

>>2768665
You can't even follow the flow of conversation, why should I value your opinion of the flow of a video game?

I detailed my issues with the game's design in my FIRST fucking post >>2768518
>repetitive level design
>poor framing of screen/camera too close
>substituting memorization of enemy placement for actual challenge
>using weather effects to obscure visibility in later levels as substitute for difficulty

I'll add to that the fact that the nature of the sprites created a feeling on inaccuracy, not that the platforming itself was ever difficult. On top of that, the gameplay mechanics were vanilla as fuck:
>Jump on enemies to beat them
Every platformer ever did it
>Touch enemies and die
Every platformer.
>Throw objects at enemies to beat them
Mario 2 did it.
>Roll into enemies to beat them
Sonic did it.
>Get fired out of cannons to progress
Sonic did it.

The only thing I'll give the game was the animal friends you can ride, although they were extremely underused, and even then, Mario World beat them to the punch with Yoshi, and honestly, Yoshi alone was much more versatile than most of the animals, who all served a pretty specialized, singular function.

Of course, you'll just plug your ears and cover your eyes and say "git gud" or whatever so you can ignore my points. Maybe you should head over to tumblr, because you clearly yearn for a fucking hugbox where nobody ever dares oppose your opinions.

>> No.2768707
File: 3 KB, 256x224, AdventureIslandII.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2768693

Because I never ever stated my own opinion on DKC: I agree it's not the utmost best platformer ever made, but it was pretty damn competent, I don't agree with your opinion that "it sucks", but at least mine is less extreme and hyperbolic, I just think it's a good game, nothing more, nothing less.
DKC2 was a total improvement I don't think a lot of people can deny it unless for some personal reason they prefer DKC1.

That said

>repetitive level design
Got any actual examples? not just "this level has barrels, and these others too", I mean actual examples of repetitive level design like copypasted assets or something? I'm not asking to be pedantic, I'm actually asked if you can come up with actual evidence to back your claim.

>poor framing of screen/camera too close

Never experienced any problem with that, but again, if you have any example (especially on video where you can point out the actual flaws with the camera you find), then that'd be great.

>memorization of enemy placement

Maybe only in the mine cart levels but I'm sure if you react real quickly you don't even need memorization.
But again if you've got actual examples you can show us, be my guest.

>weather substitute for difficulty

You're referring to the snowstorm level, right? Yeah, that one was a bitch.

the rest of your post is kinda irrelevant, and I'm a bit mad that you mentioned the animal friends, but seem to have absolutely ignored Adventure Island series is the game that did animal friends the best.

>> No.2768756
File: 1.10 MB, 7680x768, DonkeyKongCountryMap03ReptileRumbleBG.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2768707
Not him, but;

>Got any actual examples? not just "this level has barrels, and these others too", I mean actual examples of repetitive level design like copypasted assets or something? I'm not asking to be pedantic, I'm actually asked if you can come up with actual evidence to back your claim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCvp1qbj04s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1aXCzt6h6A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iJgCBoBBzA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHP-SshCufo

These are some examples. Not only they reused sprites for many levels, the actual level design is very similar between them.
On top of that the levels themselves are often so bland it's almost like a corridor with the occasional jump on the enemy (pic related the typical DKC level design)

>Never experienced any problem with that, but again, if you have any example (especially on video where you can point out the actual flaws with the camera you find), then that'd be great.

This also aggravated the blandness of the level design adding in some cheap/lazy method to make the levels harder. Because the FOV is small, you can't see enemies from very far, this leads to some stupid deaths.

Luckily, DKC 2 and 3 improved on both these aspects (level design and camera). If you want proof look a this video to see what I'm talking about
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpya3prVTUE

>Maybe only in the mine cart levels but I'm sure if you react real quickly you don't even need memorization.
But again if you've got actual examples you can show us, be my guest.
This is obviously connected to what I said before. Because you can't always see what ahead of you and plan your way to make it past them, you are forced to memorize the enemy placement, which is nothing too smart in itself, just some basic enemies throw in the stage.

>You're referring to the snowstorm level, right? Yeah, that one was a bitch.

Rain levels ( I think there are two of them), poison level, snow level, dark levels.

cont.

>> No.2768760

>>2768756
I don't find these gimmicks malicious, but they are an objectively lazy way to make a level, even more so if they used this escamotage so often like they did.

But I don't think it's a shit game.
I respect the fact that it set the foundation for the series, making DKC2 (and 3 why not) what they are.

But it's not a very good game either. I'd say it's a mediocre game that spawned a good series.

>> No.2768764

>>2768760
I'd also like to add that this is probably one of the shittiest levels in a platformer I've ever played

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfrNLP_iu-w

and that bonus rooms in general suck so fucking much

>> No.2768869

>>2768707
>"be specific"
>make specific references to the inferiority of the game
>"show examples!!"
Really, man?

>>2768756
Thank you, kind anon, for illustrating my points, which should honestly be pretty evident to anyone over the age of 12 who is playing the game.

>> No.2768891
File: 42 KB, 475x347, snes_timecop_p_q0fgnu.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

It's weird and horrible, and feels like it was developed by a mentally insane 5 year old

also go back to /pol/ you politrolls

>> No.2768926

>One single DKC hater pretending to be 3 different people because he can't find anyone else to share his opinion.

Pathetic.

>> No.2768935

>>2768926

this.

donkey kong country is fine for what it is.

>> No.2769110

>>2768869
>Really, man?

Yeah, really, as I said in my post, I didn't agree with most of them. You are the guy who kept saying stuff like "this game suckk!!" no?

>>2768756
Thanks for an actually nice post, anon. We need more like you.

>> No.2769114
File: 43 KB, 329x384, DMG-TBJ.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2765592

>> No.2770005

sonic games are nothing but memorization, trial and error, and inadequate FOV

y'all gonna claim those were bad games too

>> No.2770029

>>2767538
>Why is 4chan.org leaking into 4chan.org/vr

What a stupid post.

>> No.2770032

>>2768518
>The gameplay mechanics themselves were solid, if boring, but then, the same can be said for older Mario games.
No. Not unless you mean Donkey Kong for the Arcade and Non-Super Mario Bros for Arcade

>> No.2770035

>>2768574
>in fact I've seen it many, many times.
Show me some of these times.

>> No.2770660

>>2768693

you're so autistic you completely overlooked the part that the game is/was ACTUALLY FUN!

>hurr durr no one is allowed to have fond memories of playing DKC1. anyone that liked that game back then is a retard.

people resort to mentioning your age because you're acting like an immature prick. people that were around back then will tell you whether or not something was cutting edge... not your autistic googling skills and false suppositions regarding video games you played too late in life.