[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 41 KB, 400x300, TheKingofFighters.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2761409 No.2761409 [Reply] [Original]

Tried playing KOF94 for the first and have no idea how you're expected you're expected to win at single player. All projectiles you throw will be countered in some way. You get anywhere close and they grab. Every normal will be anticipated or blocked. It is Mortal Kombat 3 levels of fuck.

Post fighting games with the worst AI or any games that are deliberately programmed against you winning.

>> No.2761431

>>2761409
This is why playing against AI in fighting games sucks ass. They can't program AI anywhere near well enough to actually fight strategically. So in order to make playing against the computer actually challenging they have to make the AI opponent read your inputs and react before your move even comes out.

The result is that in order to win, you don't learn good fighting game strategy, you just learn how to cheese the AI. It turns one of the most strategically interesting genres into a set of cheap tricks you do over and over. Playing too much against AI will teach you that's how fighters are supposed to be played.

And that's why a lot of people think they suck and get butt hurt when they eventually do try fighting a human player and get curb stomped.

Don't waste your time anon. If you can't play 2player, just play something else.

>> No.2761470

>>2761431
Well I know that. It's just that some games are more fucked up than others. I can legit clear Street Fighter II knowing the matchups.

>> No.2761475

>>2761409
I don't know what you're talking about because I always managed to get to Rugal without problems in arcade difficulty.

>>2761431
If you're good in vs you'll be good in arcade and vice-versa, sans SNK bosses or ridicolous settings (like hardest Super SF 2 X).

In short: git gud.

>> No.2761485

>>2761470
Well SNK was known for it's extra cheesy AI and bosses. Also SFII is more match up based.

I don't have a lot useful to say on which games had better or worse AI in general though, I hate it all.

>> No.2761495

>>2761475
>If you're good in vs you'll be good in arcade and vice-versa,

I disagree with this. There is something to be said that playing against AI is still developing muscle memory and improving your overall execution, but I truly believe it trains people to be worse when fighting actual opponents.

At least that's my personal experience. I certainly don't think it's possible to actually get good at fighters only playing AI. I often run into players who have clearly spent a heck of a lot of time offline but can't handle human opponents at all.

>> No.2761529

>>2761495
I spent most of my playing time in FG playing against AI and when it came to face human opponents I was just as good, bot online and off.
Granted it became an habit of playing at the hardest difficulty, so there's that.

>> No.2761541

>>2761529
Well if it worked for you, good on you. I noticed long ago that if I practiced a lot against AI in between meet ups I'd actually be worse than if I just practiced some execution and nothing else unless I had a friend around. And that when I get matched with an opponent with a lot of offline experience compared to online I almost always walk all over them.

But everyone's different. It could be part of my getting worse fighting AI is just how boring I find it and that was affecting me in some other way. But I do stand by human players using very different strategy than a lot of AI. Fighting the computer won't teach you about reading your opponent or mind games, which are pretty core parts of fighting strategy in my opinion.

>> No.2761558

Single player can be usefull for practising on-reaction reflexes, but not much. Even worse it can grow bad habits.

As for KoF, never ever try 95 Rugal, the most on-reaction boss ever.

>> No.2761752

>>2761558
>never ever try 95 Rugal, the most on-reaction boss ever.
That's RBFF1 Geese, who counters literally everything.

>> No.2761839

if you want nice fighting game AI try virtua fighter 4 evolution on ps2

>> No.2761841
File: 46 KB, 335x600, eyedol-spinal-ki1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This fucker

>> No.2761964

94 is pretty infamous for difficult AI, but it sounds like you have some fundamental strategy holes too. 94 has some incredibly broken shit, near every character has 100% combos, and the tools you have as a human being in general overpowers AI in the end.
>All projectiles you throw will be countered in some way.
Don't throw them or throw them when they're down
>You get anywhere close and they grab.
Do jabs when there's an opening so they don't dash in and grab you
>Every normal will be anticipated or blocked.
Sounds like you need to stop moving/jumping in the same way every time like a retard.
>It is Mortal Kombat 3 levels of fuck.
Completely irrelevant and untrue.

>> No.2761990

>>2761409

94 is a very flawed game. The concept was good, but everything else was mediocre to shit. Now if you want unfair AI, try beating Rugal on 95, thats the definition of sadism

>> No.2762024

>>2761431
At the same time you could say it's just as useless to play against a person if all you have is your sibling or a friend. They're probably just as bad, if not worse, than you, so you won't learn true technique that way either.

I always play the AI because that's just how I grew up. You play versus the computer in Mario, or Zelda, or Pokemon, so why should this one genre be any different? The devs put the ladder in as a challenge to you, so with practice you should be able to beat it. I find it's a lot more satisfying to beat the AI than just randoms in real life.

>> No.2762043

>be 9 years old in 1994
>loved Art of fighting & Fatal fury
>this came out
>HOLY SHIT IS DAT FREDDY KRUEGER?
Good times, I remember playing with my brothers and neighbour kids, we always had arcades nearby. So much fun watching the older dudes perform combos.
git gud OP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BGrFku2itk

>> No.2762664

Don't most fighters on the Neo Geo have difficulty settings? Or was that just on the Neo Geo CD?

>> No.2762669

>>2762664
neo geo has no difficulties

>> No.2762673

>>2761964
Nearly all of those 100% involve timing an sdm, crossing the enemy up in a very specific point of the map and frame precise execution. Not very easy to pull off.
Otherwise yeah, you're correct.

>> No.2762694
File: 159 KB, 2448x960, kof 94.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2762669
i spent like 5 seconds downloading a kof 94 rom
both arcade and console version have difficulty settings

>> No.2762697

>>2762694
>fb alpha
Get out of here.

>> No.2762710

>>2761409
>Post fighting games with the worst AI
Worst AI as in most frustrating, or as in most dumb?

If worst, then Art of Fighting 2, Mortal Kombat, KOF 95.

If most dumb, then Tattoo Assassins bar none. I know it was a prototype, but the team making it cared so little about it I doubt they would have changed the AI even if it was released.

Speaking of prototypes, and on the other end, Dredlock from Vicious Circle is probably the worst fighting game boss in existence. He is literally able to do infinite forever, just from mashing buttons over and over again. If you win against him, it's only because he let you win, when he could have easily destroyed you.

>> No.2762715

I love fighting game bosses, lol
But I think cheap bosses should be optional like Akuma/Geese in AoF2.
I also dig when fightans cared about implementing a scoring system. 3rd Strike and the Real Bout series are particularly cool about this, you get points by attacking first, by doing combos, by finishing quickly, by finishing off a round with an dm, etc.

>> No.2762732

>>2762697
Enjoy your input lag, mame peasant.

>> No.2762741

>>2762732
This stupid input lag meme needs to end NOW.

>> No.2762748

I got the Mortal Kombat arcade collection off PSN in March. I went through each of them. MK1 on normal took a little while but I did it. No real problems until Goro.

Mortal Kombat 2 on the other hand. Jesus. By the third guy you're getting your ass torn asunder. It took about 2 hours to make it up that ladder. I wanted to cry. And that was on easy.

MK3 wasn't nearly as bad by comparison but it sure was some cheap shit. Kahn is the worst, even after you know the pattern. He can just go crazy on you at the drop of a hat and you're finished.

>> No.2762930

>>2761431
Alpha 1 at the hardest setting was actually a pretty good AI

>> No.2762935

>>2761752
>TOO EASY

To be fair though, with the exception of Orochi KOF always had batshit insane AI, I recently went back to 2001 and Rugal is infuriantingly precise on top of having an unfair moveset and stats.
You can only win "easily" by roll baiting Genocide Cutter and grabbing him to oblivion because he's insanely fast and hits hard as fuck every time and if he gets you in the corner he'll juggle the shit out of you with Genocide Cutter.

>> No.2762952

>>2762935
Igniz you mean, Rugal wasn't in 2001.

>> No.2762956

Sorry, I mistyped.
I meant 2002, Igniz is hard but I didn't find him as frustrating as Rugal in 2002

>> No.2762960

>>2762956
Yeah, I completely agree. Rugal is even more difficult in 2002UM, and pretty much seems to destroy me every time. I'm glad he was the bonus boss in that one.

>> No.2762964

>>2762956
I get that feel, Igniz moveset is stupid but has huge AI flaws (even more in UM). 2k2 rugal as much fewer flaws, and UM Kaiser Phoenix is even more stupid.

>> No.2763082

>>2762024
>At the same time you could say it's just as useless to play against a person if all you have is your sibling or a friend. They're probably just as bad, if not worse, than you, so you won't learn true technique that way either.

Yes and no. If your sibling was absolute shit then yeah you would never have incentive to get better and stagnate your skills. But the more likely scenario is that they're also trying to get better and both of you will make the other improve. Of course there's only so far that can take you and in order to really get good you need to fight many different opponents. But at least when you're playing your sibling, even if they're bad they will still try different things in an attempt to beat you.

AI just reads your inputs and throws the same bullshit at you every time. Sure you can get good at beating it, just like you can get good at beating a computer at chess. But it's fundamentally different than playing against an actual human.

Mario is a game about jumping from platform to platform and landing on enemies, it's obstacles are the game which is why it's single player. Zelda is an adventure puzzle game. You explore a world, find items and use them to solve puzzles to progress. Again it's obstacles are the game which is why it's single player.

Pokemon is an interesting example since it's both. The single player game is an adventure where you raise various monsters with different abilities. In the main game most of the strategy isn't important. You can beat the single player mode with just the first Pokemon you're given if you want. However the multiplayer versus battles are where the real strategy of the game comes out and becomes important.

If you want to just play AI in fighting games that's fine. It's a game, you should play it however you want. But the games are designed to be played human vs human and that's where all the real strategy is. The same as chess, it's best when you're going against real people

>> No.2763253

>>2761409
Fighter bosses are designed to be shit so you waste as many quarters as possible.

>> No.2763262

>>2762694
dat XP titlebar

>> No.2763293

>>2762748
>Mortal Kombat 2 on the other hand. Jesus. By the third guy you're getting your ass torn asunder. It took about 2 hours to make it up that ladder. I wanted to cry. And that was on easy

I heard that the config settings are meaningless, since the game automatically set it to hard after the 3rd match.

>> No.2763418

>>2763262
you dumb dumb, in order to avoid that made up 1frame lag you need to use fba with winxp sp1

>> No.2763432

>>2763293
MK2 ai is shit. You can literally beat the whole game with sweeps.

>> No.2763434

>>2763432
not when they do shit like grab you when you are doing a sweep, or trying too uppercut them, you know, shit a normal player cant fucking do!

>> No.2763440

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kH0gnPQndEI

>> No.2763448

>>2763434
It's been almost 20 years since I played it regularly, but I used to play it a heck of a lot and would beat it at least once a day when I went home for lunch. You totally can get through pretty much the whole game just throwing cheap sweeps.

>> No.2763793

>>2762673
>Nearly all of those 100% involve timing an sdm, crossing the enemy up in a very specific point of the map and frame precise execution

I never even mentioned DMs. This isn't Alpha 3, you don't start with DMs. This is a game where you practiced enough combos, the opponent never gets access to DMs. This frame precise execution meme needs to fucking die off. A-it's not true, and B- literally hundreds of thousands of children decades ago to include myself did it with no problem. I can't believe there is someone complaining about difficulty of combos of kof ninety fucking four, the easiest game of the series in terms of combos. The more and more this conversation is going on, I'm getting more convinced that you just suck at fighting games in general and it's less of the game's fault. The combos in this KoF are more cancel based than link based. A, ABC, C, cancel into techniques. Shit, just mash low B if your hands are that fucking retarded.

>> No.2763819 [DELETED] 

>>2763793
If I'm not mistaken you do SDMs by having both the super bar full and being on the last third of your life, with the bar flashing red.

>> No.2763823

>>2763793
By DMs I meant desperation moves.
Also I disagree, combos are a lot easier to pull off in 98 and ownard.

>> No.2763834 [DELETED] 

>>2763793
By timing I mean, you literally have to time it. The super bar empties itself a few seconds after filling up. It's reminiscent of Fatal Fury. You probably already know that.

>> No.2763845

>>2763793
Nevermind you're right, this is some broken ass shit lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWgiViXGXEA

>> No.2763947

>>2763793
yeah, 94 has 3hit fireball dizzies, 95 has 4 hit fireball dizzies and special transform, 96 has iori, 97-98 have bugs...

>> No.2763960

>>2763947
>96 has iori
What about Iori? Intredasting stuff, tell me more about the broken stuff.

>> No.2763979
File: 1.82 MB, 460x360, don.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2761409
>you're expected you're expected

>> No.2763994

>>2763979
it's ok, no big deal man

>> No.2764005

>>2761841
https://youtu.be/2Bd3SLyh8UA?t=2m33s

>> No.2764012

>>2763960
c, kuzukaze loop

>> No.2764262

>>2763947

95 IIRC has Kyo looping his qcf+D,D after an evade attack, 97 may also have the Kukukaze loop (may be only on Orochi Iori) and Terry's Power Charge funsies

>> No.2764275

>>2763448
Hell, I made it through the entire game with the girl with the fans. Throw fans until enemy is close enough, use fan wave special to push back, repeat. Everyone died quickly. Biggest threat was Raiden since he could fly quickly.

>> No.2764289

>>2764275
were you playing the arcade version? don't mean to be patronizing but the console ports nerfed the ai a lot.

>> No.2764447

>>2764275
>>2764289
That and were you playing it on easy? Even the SNES version was pretty brutal on the default setting. They say Kitana is easy to play as, but mainly because she can do some neat combos with the fans. Just spamming them I'd think the AI would catch on quick.

>> No.2764459

>>2762748
>this whole post
Okay good so I know it's not just me

>> No.2764801

>>2764447
>I'd think the AI would catch on quick.

AI never catches on. That's the point, and why fighting against it is so pointless and boring. You figure out how to trick it up and that's it. It never gets better, it never learns from defeat, it never tries anything new.

>>2764275
Kitana is a very strong character, definitely one of the easier ones to cheese it with.

>> No.2764967

>>2761752
RBFF1 Gesse wasn't too bad.

But fuck Rugal. Fuck him raw and hard.

>> No.2764975

>>2764967
I'm pretty sure when SNK was designing bosses, they based them on how much money they needed to make in order to fund the next game.

>This KoF series seems to be catching on, we better rake in the quarters with this one.

And then some smart ass designs a guy with insane range, speed and screen covering specials that he combos into and out of constantly. 10/10 gets a promotion.

>> No.2764986

>>2764975
bosses aren't that bad after the first continue service

>> No.2764990

>>2764801
>AI never catches on. That's the point, and why fighting against it is so pointless and boring. You figure out how to trick it up and that's it. It never gets better, it never learns from defeat, it never tries anything new.
Missing the point.

>> No.2765000

>>2764990
Okay, then what was your point?

>> No.2765008

>>2765000
I dunno, I don't have a point. I think fighters are a failed genre because the only way they can be enjoyed is if you play competitively. There's more to life than haveing a dickwaving contest on the 'net, kiddo.

No wonder they are ded.

>> No.2765010

>>2765000
To follow that, Kitana is piss easy to cheese the MK2 ai with. AI that will never, ever catch on. So what was the point?

>> No.2765017

>>2765010
mk2 is not a competitive game anyway

>> No.2765019

>>2765008
That's like saying chess is a failed game because it can only be played competitively. Where as in my opinion that's what makes it a great game, and what makes fighters a great genre.

Not that I don't like single player games, but well made human vs human games have far more depth and strategy because your opponent can actually think and react intelligently to what you're doing. It's not about it being a dickwaving contest, it's about it being a fun game made more fun with real competition.

And to be clear that's not to say I think everyone should be into games of that nature, but to call it a failed genre because of that is pretty lame.

>> No.2765023

>>2765017
No it's really not. I loved it as a teenager, and it was decent for the time and but it really doesn't hold up the way SFII, KoF and others of the era do.

>> No.2765025

>>2765019
How can I put it, I think 1on1 fighters are a residual from the 90s arcade scene. When arcades died the entire fighter genre were gone along with them. I kinda wish they had used the art resources in a beat'em up or something.

>> No.2765026

>>2765008
>No wonder they are ded.

Also, they're not dead at all. Fighters are bigger now than they ever have been.

>kiddo
Missed that somehow. Nice touch, friend.

>> No.2765027

>>2765023
There's a glitch with the run button and quick jabs that's similar to the tick throws in SF2.
Plus there's no reason to play MK2 when MK X exist. The only competitive community available is playing the new games.

>> No.2765029

>>2765026
Outside of shit like Smash Bros and SFV, fighters are totally dead though.

>> No.2765030

>>2765025
>When arcades died the entire fighter genre were gone along with them.

Except they never did. There was a bit of a lull in between arcades going out of style and net code getting good enough for online play, but it wasn't long. I was playing KoF online in the mid 00's

And now that home console online is standard and good they're bigger than ever before. Just because you don't like them, doesn't make them dead.

>> No.2765035

>>2765030
Only people still playing them are niggers. Keep pwning them noobs, buddy.

>> No.2765036

>>2765027
>run button
>MK2

lol

>>2765029
There are TONS of people on GGPO playing old fighters like SFII, KoF and others. Guilty Gear and Melty are still very popular as well and even KoF XIII has a decent following.

My fighter of choice is Injustice which is fairly unpopular as they go, but the online is still competitive and very well populated. Fighters are far, far, far from dead.

>> No.2765038

>>2765035
Ahh resorting to racism when I've politely pointed out you're just simply wrong in your associations. How am I not surprised this comes from a "kiddo" guy.

Look, no one is saying you have to like fighters or any other kind of 2player game. But saying you think the whole genre sucks because it's based on competing with other people instead of a single player environment is really lame.

And saying they're dead because you happen to not play them or pay attention to the scene is just stupid.

>> No.2765039

>>2765036
Whatever, I'm sick of tourneyfag communities. There's no point in playing old fighting games because most of them are glitched and have zero competitive value.

>> No.2765041

>>2765038
Thing is all those glitches and 100% infinites in the old games will never be fixed since it's impossible to patch them. What's the point of playing old fighters, then?

>> No.2765053

>>2765039
>Whatever, I'm sick of tourneyfag communities.
That's fair. I've made it more than clear no one is forcing you to play these games. But you're acting like anyone who does is a degenerate asshole which is really short sighted and immature. Why the need for so much vitriol, just because some people like a genre you don't?

Also who said anything about communities? I mostly just like playing the games.

>>2765041
SFII and KoF 94-98 don't have enough glitches that normal players can pull off that it's a problem. Also the player bases are large enough that even mid skill players can find good matchups. There are super high level players, but anything competitive is like that.

In general though I play more modern ones than classic these days. KoF '98 will always be one I go back to though.

>> No.2765057

HURR NEWBS HURR GIT GUD HURR YOU SHOULD PLAY ON MY TERMS OR DON'T PLAY AT ALL HURR YOU SHOULDN'T PLAY FIGHTERS THEY ARE NOT FOR YOU HURR YOU SHOULD STICK TO PLATFORMS HURR FUCK OFF HURR I'M GOOD AND YOU ARE BAD HURR DONT BE SALTY HURR GIT GUD

fucking cancer

>> No.2765060

>>2765053
The tourneyfag community has moved on to playing KOF98UM.

Face it, bro, these old games are pointless.

>> No.2765063

>>2765057
>platformers
Fixed. It's hard to articulate when you're mad.

>> No.2765070

>>2765060
I'm fine with the jump to 98UM, it's basically a better version of '98.

What exactly am I supposed to face? It's a thriving genre with a large player base and a lot of great games. Why are you so upset that there's a popular genre that you don't happen to enjoy? There are plenty of genres I don't care for. But I can't imagine wanting to waste my time pissing and moaning about why people want to play FPS games all day. I assume they do that because they like them and that's plenty of reason for me.

But you are putting serious effort into this. Why? Why do you even care about fighters at all?

>> No.2765072

>>2765057
Who in this thread has been saying anything close to this?

>> No.2765078
File: 62 KB, 640x468, 8784_front.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I didn't think KoF94 was too bad
This on the other hand...

>> No.2765081

>>2765070
Meh, I just think fighting games are a waste of time. Might as well play some modern shit with actual competition if you want to be a little elitist prick.

>> No.2765087

>>2765072
The entire community is like that, I don't know, it might just be chan culture.
I'm just a salty nigger that's all, please ignore my posts and go back to your pissing contest.
Keep pwning those n00bs, big man.

>> No.2765093

>>2764801
MK3 was supposed to have adaptive AI. You can get away with certain moves early on, but if you keep spamming them the AI will switch gears and counter them. So you always had to mix things up.

>> No.2765094
File: 15 KB, 480x360, hqdefault.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Maybe fighting games ain't my thing. I'm gonna play barbie dress up that's more up my alley.

>> No.2765098

>>2765081
>if you want to be a little elitist prick.

You honestly think that's what it's all about, don't you? When you see people playing soccer or basketball do you just assume all those people want to be elitist pricks? Because I can tell you, most of them just think the game is fun and enjoy playing it.

I don't play fighters out of elitism, I play them because it's an incredibly fun genre. One that you can pick up and learn the basics of in an afternoon but continue to master for years. It has thinking on your feet, varied strategies and fast paced gameplay. Those all all things that I really like about them.

>Might as well play some modern shit with actual competition if you want to be a little elitist prick.

Also as for this, fighters are one of the genres that have remained the most true to their old arcade roots. As pointed out, the most popular King of Fighters that people play is literally an updated version of the 1998 game and Street Fighter IV is mechanically very, very similar to older games in the series.

Point being, the competition in the older games is very similar to the newer ones. You can play SFIITurbo today online and have good competition, you can play SFIV today online ans also have good competition. But also I do play modern games. I don't only play old games, I play games from all eras.

And again, it's perfectly 100% fine to think fighters are a waste of time. It's just weird you are wasting so much time complaining about not liking them. I'm sure you like some games that I don't. That's cool in my books.

>> No.2765103

>>2765098
You're absolutely right, I'm fucking off out of this genre. Enjoy your dead games.

>> No.2765107

>>2765087
Almost any big gaming community can be like that. I don't really engage in the communities much, other than some local meet ups and people at those are by and large really cool. I just go online and fight people and that's the the extent of it.

And by the way, pwning a noob is way less fun than loosing to an opponent you almost beat. Playing against shitty people is really only fun for the odd laugh. The real joy of fighters is when you get someone pretty much on your level (slightly better is even better, but you can't both be like that) and you get some real back and forth going.

If you are ever interested in trying the genre again and have some friends who aren't really into them, it can be a good way to start. But also if they're not for you then that's all good.

>> No.2765108

>>2765103
>Enjoy your dead games.
LOL you are some kind of goof.
Do you even read? Fighters are literally bigger now than ever. They're perhaps the single most successful long running genre that has changed the least since 16 bit days.

>> No.2765121
File: 441 KB, 1920x1080, KOF-XIV-SS_3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2765108
KOF is so ridiculously dead though.

>> No.2765136

>>2765121
98 and 2002 are still very popular. Not Street Fighter popular, but pretty much nothing is.

However after SNK died and Playmore came on the scene, the series suffered greatly. XIII does have it's fans and a decent player base, but I think it's shit and really ugly. The people who made KoF great moved on long ago, it's like Castlevania now.

It doesn't really matter though, there are still 9 games in the series that hold up today and 2 of them are popular enough to maintain good player bases.

Like I say, this genre is so popular now than even a game like the one I currently play which is one of the lower popularity ones still has an active player base.

>> No.2765139

>>2765136
k

>> No.2765147
File: 543 KB, 1280x960, k-ngbc-winportrait-white.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2765139
I see you k and raise you a '

It is sad to me that KoF ended up turning to shit, but I'm a lot more sad about Castlevania and Tomb Raider, because those not only turned to shit but took the whole genre with them. At least in the absence of KoF there are other great games in that style coming out. I would kill to see another real TR game.

>> No.2765162

>>2765136
>Not Street Fighter popular, but pretty much nothing is.

Look at this dirty nigga who forgot Tekken is even more popular than Street Fighter.

>> No.2765164

>>2765162
Actually you might be right there. I only really like 2D fighters and tend to forget that the whole 3D side of the genre exists.

>> No.2765339

>>2765121
Why did they hire some kids fresh out of college with no practical experience to make this? It physically hurts to look at.

>> No.2765343

>>2764005
>CPU Master combos does 90% damage
>Not poor programming

>> No.2765347

>>2765339
Shut up, it's all about gameplay.

>> No.2765351

>>2765347
I physically can't look at it long enough to enjoy the gameplay.

>> No.2765353

>>2765351
Only scrubs need graphics, it's all bout gitting gud. You don't need music either, in fact you don't even need characters, just make two hit boxes fight each other with frame perfect execution.

>> No.2765862

>>2765139
Aaaaaand he's lost. Good job, fighting game anon, this guy was a dipshit.

>> No.2765956
File: 42 KB, 330x315, 1411061556633.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2765862
Kek, that guy went back home to be a family man.

>> No.2766702
File: 1.76 MB, 1920x1080, pcsx2 2015-10-20 00-11-43-29.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2765121
3d KoF can be good (looking)

>> No.2766838

>>2766702
Maxinum Impact is full of traps and broken chain combos. It's fun for a weekend with friends, and not much than that.

>> No.2767041

>>2765347
Fuck off. Name ONE popular fighting that looks like shit.

>> No.2767384

>>2767041
Mortal Kombat X

>> No.2767452

>>2767384
It's definitely the best looking MK so far. Really the only problem is the characters' faces look off.

>> No.2767520
File: 83 KB, 600x600, 2lax72x.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2765862
Bitch got salted so bad he's never showing up around here anymore.

>> No.2767524

>>2767041
KOF XI

>> No.2767551

>>2767524
has pretty backgrounds
and dope music

>> No.2767553

>>2767551
I was making a joke about how it's pixelated 240p but yeah sure. Why isn't it on steam though?

>> No.2768004
File: 34 KB, 500x282, tic__640.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2765139
bumping to further humilate you

>> No.2768571

>>2767524
>>2767553

I think it looks gorgeous. They did a good job with most of the sprites, although Malin and Kula still look weird. Also dat Athena theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EL9YTy1TU8A

>> No.2770807

what's with all these shitty moves in the early games? was kof just not good until 98?

>> No.2772281
File: 92 KB, 600x800, top679.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2768571
I agree. XI was the last good looking KoF. XII and XIII could have looked good if they didn't change the art style so much. I actually like Falcoon's work as fan art, even portraits. But to make the whole game look like that made it far too cartoony in my opinion. I can't stand the way Yuri and Athena look.

>>2770807
What shitty moves are you talking about? I'm not sure what you mean.

>> No.2773213
File: 27 KB, 256x224, Street Fighter II Turbo - Hyper Fighting (U).png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2767041
I don't know if "shit" is the right word, but I've always thought Street Fighter II is a butt ugly game with crappy character designs.

>> No.2773287

>>2765343
CPU nothing, Killer Instinct is just plain a shit game.

>> No.2773513

>>2773213
It was good for its time but the characters are so over-used now I'm just sick of them. SF3 went in the right direction with bringing in mostly new blood, and SF4 should have continued that but instead went right back to literally being SF2 2.0.

>> No.2773524
File: 39 KB, 384x224, Super_Street_Fighter_II_X_00-11.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2773213
That's because you are playing the SNES version, silly.

>> No.2773527

>>2773524
It's still popular though!

>>2773513
Agreed. 3 was the best in the series.

>> No.2773530
File: 18 KB, 688x148, x8ggUEk.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.2773539

>>2773513
Even in it's time they were pretty lame. Karate dudes #1 and #2, sumo dude, GI Joe dude, indian yoga dude, negro boxer, wrestler dude, chinese girl etc. It's like they just dumped a bunch of silly stereotypes out on a desk and randomly selected some to make into characters.

>> No.2773575

>>2773530
I'm gonna go play the AI now just to piss you off.

>> No.2773581

>>2773513
>literally being SF2 2.0.
Well said. It's the reason I just couldn't get into SF4; it just didn't feel as defined as the other games. It didn't help that all the updates tried to squeeze in as many fan favorites as possible.

SF5, on the other hand, looks a lot more interesting.

>> No.2773623

>>2773581
Funny I'm sort of the opposite, I've never been a big SF fan, but IV felt like the definitive version of the game and I loved the way they kept updating the roster to fill it out more and more.

It's suddenly moving on to make SFV that I don't understand.

>> No.2773630

>>2773623
>suddenly

The game was like 8 years old and was showing its age by the first update.

>> No.2773647

>>2773630
>was showing its age by the first update.

I think that's a stretch. If SF fans are happy for another that's cool, but my impression is that none of them were clamoring for another entry in the series. I'm sure V will be good, but it's going to take them a while to build the roster back up and I like large rosters.

>> No.2773668

>>2765041
>impossible to patch
What is an IPS patch? What is ROM hacking? Go look up Mortal Kombat II Unlimited.

>> No.2773712

>>2773668
That guy was a complete tool who barely knew what he was talking about and is afraid to play fighters outside of single player. I doubt he's even heard of MK2U

>> No.2774323

>>2773647
I like large rosters too but I'm glad they upgraded everything. SFV looks way better already and I'm pretty hyped for all the DLC. I should kill myself just for thinking that since DLC is cancer, but the fact you can earn it for free its good and the anticipation of a new character every two months will keep the game alive. People were already saying IV had too many characters, so just them dumping more in would probably drive fans away.

>> No.2775170

>>2774323
> I should kill myself just for thinking that since DLC is cancer,

DLC doesn't have to be cancer. Capcom is generally pretty good about it, all the DLC in Monster Hunter is free and I think the way they built the SFIV roster with it and the plans for V are perfect. I hope it eventually gets a really big roster. If the game is great then a huge roster isn't necessary, but I'm traditionally a KoF fan and prefer them big.

What about SFV is looking promising to you? I haven't paid a ton of attention so I don't know what they're changing other than graphics.

>> No.2775414

>>2773581
>tried to squeeze in as many fan favorites as possible.

Those BASTARDS!

>> No.2775478

>>2775414
My point is that it felt undefined and generic. SFV on the other hand is trying to have a balance between new characters and fan favorites, and I far prefer that direction instead of just simple pandering.

>> No.2775501

>>2775478
But SFIV had a decent supply of new characters as well. Maybe I should look into V a bit more, but I haven't seen anything very compelling or different.

Gameplay wise it doesn't sound like they've changed much (it didn't need serious changing) so it just looks like a reset of IV and dropping most of the roster so they can start selling it back piecemeal.

I also don't know at all what you mean when you say IV felt undefined.

>> No.2776208
File: 34 KB, 264x277, diz-change.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I played some Guilty Gear X tonight after a long while since I last did. I was enjoying myself until I reached this bitch.

Still as broken as I remember her. Couldn't even win 1 round.

>> No.2776925

>>2776208
Guilty Gear has never been a very high quality fighting series.

>> No.2776926
File: 13 KB, 480x221, 1441041771787.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2776925

>> No.2776938

>>2776926
It wasn't actually supposed to be. Just confirming his experience getting bodied over and over by Dizzy. It has it's fans, but it's not generally considered a top tier fighter.

>> No.2776960
File: 21 KB, 210x240, HEY YOU.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2776925
GEHT SIRIUS with your bait senpai.

>> No.2777171

>>2775501
The major complaint I have about 4 is that FADC removes a lot of emphasis of footsies and spacing, and everything is just too slow. When using the animation of a move to scam timer at the end of a match is a possible tactic, there's an issue. Ultras are also just a bad comeback mechanic that I find boring and unfun. I don't like that players are rewarded for beginning to lose.

>> No.2777187

>>2777171
Interesting thanks, I never played the game enough to notice the problems dash cancels caused but I can definitely see that. And I agree with you on Ultras.

I did like the speed of SFIV though. Super Turbo and some of the more twitchy anime fighters that are around these days are too fast for my tastes. Could be that I'm getting old, but I never liked the higher speeds of hyper fighting back in the day either.

>> No.2777198

You guys are disgusting, lel

>> No.2777209

>>2776938
isn't the deal with guilty gear that some versions are more competitive than others?

>> No.2777212

>>2777198
Go back to your shmups

>> No.2777220

>>2777187
> I never played the game enough to notice the problems dash cancels caused
So you're admitting you suck at it?

>> No.2777227

>>2777220
Suck at the game I don't really care about and only ever played when I was waiting for another fighter to come out? Sure? I didn't think I was implying otherwise. SF has never been one of my favorite fighters.

>> No.2777260
File: 115 KB, 600x817, Garou_Howard1433748693838.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Why do you think shitposter-kun shitposts in every fighting thread there is about "you guys don't play competitively!".

Is it falseflagging shitposting in order to make competitive players look bad, or he himself is a scrub who got beaten badly at GGPO (online is not competitive, anyhow), and comes to /vr/ to vent and project?

I'm undecided between the two but I wouldn't be surprised if it was the later. All this effort just to "troll" just doesn't seem right, this seems to be something pyschologically deeper.

>> No.2777620
File: 137 KB, 600x817, GEESE.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2777260
I would bet money that he's the the same guy who shits up shmup threads any time Ikaruga is mentioned.

Either way though, he's really just a dude who wishes he was good at fighters, but doesn't feel confident enough to learn them competitively. So he only plays them single player and then gets mad that fighters aren't really designed to be robust single player experiences.

He fights AI, the AI bodys him, over and over so he complains about that and we all mock him for how bad he is and trying to play a game meant for two human opponents against a computer. Then he has to say they suck in order to save face.

It's all very, very funny.

Also, that's just a goose. GEESE!!!!!

>> No.2777667

>>2761409
I played the hell out of this game at the arcade when it came out. I was obsessed with it because nobody had fighting games like this then. Not to sound like I'm boasting but I did beat it at the arcade back then.

>> No.2778557

>>2777667
Those early days of fighters when it felt like a whole new genre were glorious. Waiting in line watching the fights and looking how to to beat the kid winning was such an amazing experience back then. Fighters are so fucking awesome.

Anyways, it's perfectly beatable single player. It's like any fighting game AI, it's just about figuring out what the AI wasn't programmed to deal with well and then punishing it.

>> No.2778641

the computer wil always kick your ass in NBA JAM with almost no exceptions. cheating and doing things like stealing the ball from you in mid-dunk. the only way to get an advantage is to start throwing a shitload of 3 pointers in the 4th quarter and hope you can land most of them.

>> No.2778853

>>2778641
I find that's the case with pretty much any game designed to be played in two player vs mode. Especially back in the NBA Jam days, they couldn't program AI that can think and react strategically anywhere near as well as a real player. So the only way to make the single player version challenging is essentially to allow the AI to cheat.

>> No.2778882

>>2775170
>capcom
>good at DLC

I hope you are proud of yourself.................

>> No.2778893

>>2775501
>SFIV
>decent supply of new faces
>Too fucking late manish KOF woman cause KOF guys are so andro
>Racist Stereotype
>Fat Fuck that was supposed to be Gansgta Shoto
>Genericus Generalus Grappler whos ever Generic
>Not a Jojo character with a slighty more femenine face
>Gay oli Grappler fuck who has a hot wife who we NEVER get to see dancing and was supposed to be him in design, oh no, too sexy, so let's make her just her wife

>DECENT SUPPLY!!!!!

>> No.2779009

>>2778882
Well Monster Hunter gets lots of DLC updates, all of which are free.

For fighting games, I think it's a great compromise to release a base game and then have additional characters available if you want them. Though I prefer the NRS model where you can just pick and choose if you want.

New characters are expensive to develop because they need to be finely balanced so they're neither top tier or shitters and don't have fucked match ups. Fighters are also games that people buy for 60$ and then will play for hundreds and hundreds of hours if they're serious about them. So they're already a very economical genre. The way I see it, DLC characters are a good way to keep the companies making them active and making money to keep developing.

>>2778893
>>2778893
How is that any different from their earlier characters? I'm no big fan of Street Fighter, but at least they're being consistent. By decent supply I meant number, not quality. III has my favorite new characters, even if Remy was an ultra lame Benimaru take off. And Sean just sucks.

>> No.2779029

>>2779009
Wasn't Sean top tier in 2nd Impact or something? I thought he was only bad in 3rd Strike

>> No.2779037

>>2778893
>Racist Stereotype

Thanks for including that early enough so I knew to instantly discard the rest of your shitty post.

>> No.2779040

>>2779037
He's not wrong, though. Well, racial stereotype is probably more accurate.

>> No.2779042

>>2779029
I only really played Third Strike and not super seriously, I was too into KoF then. My impression was that he sucked.

>>2779037
To be fair, racist stereotypes is basically the basis for most SF characters.

>> No.2779052

>>2779042
Name one character that is legitimately racist and deeply offensive to any group of people. No one has ever come out and protested SF because they felt hurt by it. No one.

The characters are based in reality because stereotypes are real. They're not a bad thing, and not automatically "racist". You do know what racism is right?
>prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.

That doesn't sound like SF to me.

>> No.2779056

>>2779042
Yeah, in 3S he's kind of slightly less of a joke than Dan. I always felt like Remy would fit better in a KoF game than anything else

>> No.2779063

>>2779052
Whoa there buddy, I didn't mean it that seriously as in they're deeply offensive. So we can maybe drop the "racist" part, but you have to admit looking at Thunder Hawk, Dalsim and Honda that they're not racially stereotyped cartoons

And to be clear I'm not complaining or saying they're bad. Just that the IV characters fit in pretty well with previous cast members.

>> No.2779082

>>2779063
And there's nothing wrong with stereotypes because they exist for a reason. Indians (both kinds) do occasionally dress like that, and sumo wrestlers do look like Honda. So I don't know which anon I'm talking to anymore but the original point was it's stupid to say it's racist. Honda especially is designed to appeal to the Japanese and be relatable to them. That's the exact opposite of racist. Same with Rashid now, he was designed with help from middle eastern distributors so he'd be liked by the people of that region.

>> No.2779098

>>2779082
My only real point was that the IV characters feel themeatically in line with the previous characters. I wasn't this guy >>2778893 so sorry if that confused you. He was replying to me actually.

>> No.2780669

>>2773287
Fuck off, Killer Instinct was way better than Mortal Kombat ever was. Just like today.

>> No.2780697

>>2780669
Interesting meme, but I don't think it will pan out.

>> No.2780704

>>2778853

Yeah, man... it's pretty screwed up when you go from having an 8 point lead to losing by 2 all in the last quarter.

>> No.2780739

>>2780669
MKX is still the year's best selling game.

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2015/11/04/mortal-kombat-x-best-selling-game-of-2015-far-us-warner-bros-top-publisher/

>> No.2781337

>>2765038
racism wow it's 2015 wow just wow I can't even I literally can't even right now just wow man it's 2015

>> No.2781514

>>2765038
He said buddy, not kiddo.
Faggot.

>> No.2781632

>>2781337
>it's 2015
>>>/tv/

>> No.2783791

>>2781337
>>2781337
The point is that resorting to racism, or any other kind of vitriolic insults is a clear sign your argument has been lost. You can't make meaningful points anymore, so all that's is slander and hope it sticks.

I don't give a fuck about racism, just pointing out that guy was an idiot with no clue what he's talking about. Which he was. Dude was a grade A retard about fighters.

>> No.2783793

>well

>> No.2785792

>>2781514
My mistake, that makes it so very different. Now he's not a dipshit who's upset because fighting games are too hard for him. Ohh wait, he still is.

>> No.2785970

>>2783791
The sort of funny thing is that he was really making them artificially punishing. Because fighting AI cheats so much to be competitive, it makes it even harder for a new player learn or get good playing against it.

It's like he's scared of competition, but finding a friend on your same level and then bashing each other back and forth while you learn is really the best way to get into these games and learn why they're so much fun. He was kind of an ass, but I feel bad for him.

>> No.2785978

>>2761409
>tried playing KOF94
this baffles me, I can see no reason why anyone would play that game (not just try it to see how it is, play it seriously) when other KOFs like 2002 and 98 exist

>> No.2785982

>>2785978
It may be that he was starting at the beginning and wanting to play through the series. There are some anons around here who play through fighters for the story lines.

From a players perspective, it can still be interesting to go back and play older versions for shit and giggles sometimes. '98 and '02 are by far the definitive versions, but sometimes you want to play something else.

>> No.2785996

>>2785982
>play through the series
hm... Makes sense

>> No.2786021
File: 33 KB, 360x480, kofattack1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2785978
isnt there some reason china prefers kof97

>> No.2786023
File: 92 KB, 600x662, otter dislikes watermelon but can't stop eating it.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2786021

>> No.2786047

>>2786021
Probably, but they also prefer eating dogs and killing babies if they come out female, so their taste in fighting games is probably also suspect.

>> No.2787110

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCicpdHQLe0

Hiiiiiiiii~

>> No.2787721

>>2786021
Is there a story behind this? Did somebody get fucking stabbed over a game?

>> No.2787798

>>2787721
I was wondering that too. It's in Akihabra, but other than that I don't know the story behind it.

>> No.2787880

>>2787721
>>2787798
http://www.orochinagi.com/2015/02/man-attacked-with-knife-over-kof97

>> No.2787893
File: 77 KB, 600x600, 1385692459657.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2763994
it's a huge deal, pleb

>> No.2787935

>>2787880
>For the record, it was the guy who did the raw super that did all the stabbing. The victim ate a raw super and went over to the other side with a chair to threaten his opponent (jokingly), but the raw super dude felt cornered and took out his knife (which apparently he had just bought it for his wife and was on his way home but decided to take a break to play KOF).

Holy shit that's one of the best things I've ever read. And they ended up hugging afterwards. How awesome.

>> No.2789354

>>2787880
Holy fuck! Japs are fucking nuts. And over 97???

>> No.2789559

>>2762748

I had the same experience with the XBLA version only I never beat any of the games. I pretty much only boot it up when I've got friends over.

>> No.2789567

>>2787893

I would just like you to know, dear anonymous poster, that this pic is legit creeping me out and I hope you never post it anywhere ever again.

>> No.2789570

>>2789567
It's older than the Internet.

>> No.2789590

>>2789559
>I pretty much only boot it up when I've got friends over.

That's by far the best way to play fighters anyways. Unless you want to see the story for some reason or are working on your execution there's really no reason to ever play them alone.

>> No.2789826
File: 525 KB, 1286x1050, MK controls.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2763434
>not when they do shit like grab you when you are doing a sweep, or trying too uppercut them, you know, shit a normal player cant fucking do!

Indeed.

>> No.2790215

>>2762748
>Mortal Kombat II
On the 3rd opponent (which I figure is when the AI gets bumped up to hard difficulty), just crouch and jump back when the AI gets close to you. He'll wait for a bit then jumps towards you, giving you enough time to punish him with a jump kick (if you use Jax, time it right and you can combine a jump kick with his gotcha grab).

>> No.2790224

>>2789354
>Japs

Those are chinks, dummy

>> No.2790236
File: 2.75 MB, 400x300, 20151111_194959.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2790215

>> No.2790420

>>2772281
I love how 12/13 look as a whole, but they really did fuck up Athena, and some of the characters are way too overmuscled.

>>2776925
here's your reply (although I will say it took until #Reload to start to get good, and until AC to get great -- when AC+R came out, it was probably the best fighter on the market)

kind of wonder how GG even managed to get sequels when the PS1 game was so hilariously bad
stylish as fuck, but that's it

>>2786021
I'm still curious about this.
there's probably a reason though, and 97 is a pretty decent game, it's got a couple weird differences that make it stand out against 98 and the presentation is fucking ace in that game

>> No.2790671

>>2789590
Bragging rights.

>> No.2791207

There is a way to low the level of dificult, but i dont remember how. I want to know.

>> No.2791390
File: 52 KB, 640x480, Budokan - The Martial Spirit (Unl) [c][!]006.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2790671
Nah it's really not, not if you're actually playing with people you like and get along with. Plus the point is more that fighters just aren't designed to be played single player. It's like playing chess against a computer, the real game is all about second guessing and out thinking your opponent and that's what playing the computer leaves out.

And the other great thing is that you really don't have to be "good" at fighters to enjoy them. So long as you and whoever you're fighting are generally close, it's fun no matter what level you're playing at. And it's by far the best way to get good.

There are very few genres that you can have a ton of fun with in your first afternoon ever and then have them continue to be challenging and interesting for as long as you can play and want to master them. I've been into fighters pretty much since they've been around (glorious budokan) and am pretty good. But I watch these high level guys who focus just on them and train seriously and it's amazing. To me that's what makes them so amazing.

>>2790420
I wouldn't mind the style of XIII if it wasn't a KoF. But I loved the old look that was stylish but with generally realistic proportions and would have loved to see it with the same level of detail and animation that XIII had. Athena and Yuri's looks were enough that I didn't want to play it. '98 and 02' are already so perfect I saw no real point putting effort into it. And MK9 came out which while not great, was a lot of fun.

>> No.2792056

>>2761431
>playing MK2 on mame
>knock down opponent and throw projectile at him for when he gets up
>he lays down for an extra second to let the projectile pass by

What the fuck.

>playing MK3
>Liu Kang does two bicycle kicks in a row

What a load of shit man.

>> No.2792064

>>2790215
Daily reminder, this only works for about half the roster.

>> No.2792065

>>2789570
He did not ask for that information.

>> No.2792084

>>2789826
Only in MK 2 and only by one of the girls did this happen. I remember using the debug mode and just watching as the male P1 with invincibility kept getting thrown by female P2 without it.

>> No.2792095

>>2792056
What makes me so mad is they're not even trying to hide it. The fact the cheating is so obvious and in your face is the real insult.

>> No.2792740

Please don't play against the AI, guys! Fighting games are meant to be enjoyed against other people!

>> No.2793040
File: 242 KB, 600x490, 1444875996732.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2792065
Nor did I. This is you btw.
>pic related

>> No.2793067

>>2792095
it's not like it did not exist in SF2 times
gotta love walking sonic boom / somersault

>> No.2793513

>>2792095
This is what I've been trying to explain. Because fighters are so much about strategy, AI and especially the AI available in older games like MK2 can't come anywhere near competing with an even semi decent human player.

So the only way to make fighting the computer an actual challenge is to make it be able to read your inputs and react before your moves even come out and similar bullshit.

Fighting games just aren't good as single player games. It can be useful for practicing timing and execution, but there's not a lot of point playing them purely 1player.