[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 29 KB, 320x288, Donkey-Kong-Land-Title-Screen.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2760169 No.2760169 [Reply] [Original]

Have the Donkey Kong Land titles aged well?

>> No.2760174

Arent they literally the Country games with shit graphics?

>> No.2760176

they were hot garbage the day they came out, sorry

>> No.2760179

>>2760169
Games don't age. It's the same game that came out in the mid 1990s.

>> No.2760183

Well the Donkey King Land titles were pretty crap to begin with, so you went from a fresh pile of feces to a dried up & mummified turd.

>> No.2760187

I really like the third game. Looks an plays well. Some levels have too much background clutter though, it helps playing on the GBASP for the colored sprites.
The sprites of the main characters look really good and have detailed, smooth animation. They don't look anywhere as jarring as the DKC sprites.

>> No.2760191
File: 291 KB, 397x594, names.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2760174
there are some differences in level design and such, but pretty much, really weird topic for a thread.

>> No.2760202

They are fun but you got to have perfect eye sight all the nerds who hate on them just have shit vision.

>> No.2760229

>>2760169
dkl1 did and didn't. its a new game instead of a dkc2/dkc3 port. it has some screen camera issues and really hard shit.

>> No.2760230

>>2760202
The graphics were just too cluttered for the old gray brick to effectively handle. My only complaint was that it was really hard to see what you were doing sometimes.

>> No.2760260

>>2760169
The first DK Land game has some pretty damn good original music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqyyFV9XF2g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QSNUsLDhls&hd=1

>> No.2760284

Didn't mind them when they came out. Only had 1, which was a SON OF A BITCH to 100% but on the greybrick screen it looked good. Didn't look half as good on everything else. I borrowed DKL2 from a friend for a while too and it was similarly decent. Never played 3.

Fricking GOD TIER music too - spot on versions of SNES tunes and quite a few original ones.

https://youtu.be/O_lttPG4zMs
https://youtu.be/R5wihueECGc
https://youtu.be/JBgaxnsx_W0

Out of the Rare GB games, Killer Instinct probably aged the most but I still have a soft spot for it - good thinking to put a light background mode for low light situations and similarly good music.

>> No.2760297

>>2760260
Also fuck, you found the temple level track I couldn't find. gg

>> No.2760385
File: 116 KB, 298x481, 1445029453994.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I have both DKL2 and DKL3 and would never touch them again now that I have the SNES games available in portable form thanks to emulation.

DKL1 miiiight be worth trying due to its unique music and level design, but the latter two are pretty much straight up ports with some changes that were required due to the much lower capabilities of the Game Boy.

Overall, much like with a lot of portable ports, I find the main draw was the fact that they were indeed portable versions of the original. Now that emulation and emulation devices have advanced to the point that the original versions are portable as well, their primary draw has been pretty much wiped out, leaving only a sub-par version of the original game most of the time. Sometimes, there were ports that actually stood out due to some unique twists, but at that point, you start arguing whether they're still "ports" or actually some form of spinoff. DKL1 falls somewhere inbetween the two sides, clearly grabbing the gameplay straight from DKC1 but doing its own thing with the levels.

So to answer your question, OP, I believe the DKL titles have not aged well at all. The thing that made it great back in the day no longer really applies in this day and age, so unless you're really into the history of the Game Boy for some particular reason or you consider the original music and levels of DKL1 to be worth putting up with the inferior screen real estate, graphics and control, I'd say stick to the DKC games.

But really, you're asking a bad question because everybody has their own definition of what a game "aging well/poorly" means (including the definition of "it means nothing at all because games don't age").

>> No.2760697

>>2760385
I tried emulating the first DKC game on my smartphone, but pressing the buttons in the tactile screen just isn't the same, it doesn'r seem to react in time so it gets to a point where I can't pass a level. So I thought about trying the Land ones instead, they should be more responsive since they are smaller files.

>> No.2760763

Pretty shitty thread, not just because of OP but because a lot of posts don't seem to know a damn thing about the games.

The first DKL has a few unique level types, but they range from okay to shitty. Cloud for example aren't that good a premise for DK. A frequent complain is that some of the levels are designed in such a way that it can be hard to make out things.

DKL2 borrows heavily from DKC2. The level names and map screens are exactly the same as in DKC2. Most of the level layouts don't feel massively different either, a lot of them are a bit bland which is the complete opposite of the problem DKL faced. The music itself is okay, but the same music gets played in most levels that it becomes repetitive really quickly.

DKL3 is a step up in most departments. The levels have a much nicer visual balance than the two previous games. DKL3 was released on GBC in Japan, and some guy made a translation patch for it which makes it the definitive version of the game.

Overall I'd say they're all worth playing at least once. None of them are straight ports of the DKC games despite what some people seem to think.

>> No.2760775

>>2760179
It is a perfectly acceptable euphemism. Inanimate objects age, as in pass through ages. Foolish fool.