[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 8 KB, 320x320, sega chinnel.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2746881 No.2746881 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /vr/
I have a question.
have any of you guys ever used the game-streaming service Sega Channel? I've heard a lot of great things about it but I'd like to hear from real people. Like, what was it like? Was it fast? Was the service shit? Like, what was the the service in general like?

>> No.2746897

I had a friend who had this, and it was amazing. It was how we played Earth Worm Jim, Skitchen, and a few other games.

It took 10-15 seconds or so to load a game, if I remember right. No issues.

>> No.2747840

Have some footy of the service in action dood

http://youtu.be/sMRLZcBiN-k

>> No.2748232

Despite living in an age of instant access to the complete Genesis/MD library for all regions, I still find myself intensely jealous that I'll never get to use this service.

>> No.2749107

>>2746897
>10-15 seconds or so to load a game

We have distinctly different memories.

For the day it was glorious. 50 games a month for 30 bucks a month (not count7ng cable, adapter, service charge). The 4 meg games were slow as hell to load, though.

>> No.2749110

I remember it was here in Argentina in the 90s, my cable company had it, but it was honestly too expensive, and even back then, I didn't like the idea of paying for digital games.

I get that it was mostly like renting games, but I could rent Sega games for far cheaper than what Sega Channel charged per month.

It's cool that it had some great games like Alien Soldier, but I hear that's also the reason why Sega didn't bother to release it in America, because it was Sega Channel-exclusive, that's lame.

>> No.2749116
File: 2.86 MB, 480x271, 1445118128410.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2749110
Is there anywhere some one can find the sega channel exclusive games today for download? I never used this service back in the day but wouldn't mind giving some new (to me) old sega games a try.

>> No.2749219

>>2746881
It was pretty cool. Plenty of games. Some games on repeat, but that's kind of nice for longer RPGs. It was basically like having a mostly changing rental wall of games at your fingertips supposing you don't mind the something like a 1-4 minute wait depending on the size of the game. But the wait had cool music and tips and codes and shit. It also had Wily Wars, which in the U.S. was not released as a cartridge game. Supposing you cared about MM.
Also exclusive for NA was Alien Soldier which was solid. Pulse Man which was interesting. Golden Axe 3, Nightmare Circus - which was kind of fucking weird.

If you played it a lot it was a good deal depending on where you were. If you hardly used the system, it probably would have been worse. Though one might argue buying used games could have been cheaper over a period of time, given that over two years it'd run you 720 bucks.

So having access to lots of games was great. Since it didn't cost anything but time, you could always try games you otherwise wouldn't bother renting really, like say Thomas The Tank Engine. Also the music was awesome.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzmr6J_MI3o

>> No.2749706

>>2749116
There weren't any truly "exclusive" games for Sega Channel, just games that weren't physically released in North America. They're all on ROM sites.

>> No.2749719

>>2749706
There was at least one garfield caught in the act beta levels that was never release anywhere.

>> No.2749778

>>2749706
On a related note, there were exclusive games for the dial-up modem that was released in Japan, such as Sonic Eraser. Those games were never on cartridge, but at least some of them were ripped from old modems. I don't know if any of those games are lost though.

>> No.2749787

>>2749778
I think most of the modem games were put on Sega CD compilations.