[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 28 KB, 320x200, castles2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2717427 No.2717427 [Reply] [Original]

Post games you still can't reliably beat twenty+ years after they came out.

I guess when the game mode is called 'impossible' you can't expect it to play fair, but sweet christ this game is hard.
>trying an aggressive early attack on your neighbor? have fun getting excommunicated by the Pope because there's no gold to bribe him off, let alone build up your army as it gets reduced to nothing
>quick expansion on unclaimed territories? army quickly gets killed, territories quickly revolt before you can build any castles, other throne claimants finish you off
>turtling on a handful of well-defended territories until you're in a good state? won't have nearly enough resources to maintain an army let alone build one up, bribe the two or three attackers off, and build castles
>measured attack on a non-blessed claimant, then hoard resources on 6-8 territories while building up economy / army and keeping one chokepoint with a single neighbor who you're bribing off as much as the Pope? good job, now your 'ally' is going to claim the throne and there's fuck-all you can do about it
>4 times out of 5, game ends in miserable failure before you can even get to one of the above no-win scenarios

>> No.2717442

get good.

>> No.2717507

>>2717427
Goddamn you, now I have to redownload and play Castles 2 again.

>Late Game fun
>Building castles in every territory
>Taking over Pope land one bit at a time, then bribing my way back into his graces
>Knights N Archers out the wazzo

>> No.2717530

Exciting battle!

>> No.2717607

>>2717507
I'd like to see a LP vid where someone tries to attack the Pope from an early point in the game and manages to not die horribly

>> No.2717762

Solaris for the 2600.
How do you get to Solaris?

>> No.2718089
File: 47 KB, 665x421, nethack.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Not even kidding, took me five+ years of play to ascend

>> No.2718109

Not exactly 20 years, but Einhander and Wipeout XL. I attempted Wipeout XL just a few months ago and I got stuck at Spilskinanke.

>> No.2718914

>>2718109
>Wipeout XL
I jokingly call it Twitch Racer for a reason. Phantom is so freaking fast, you got to use instinct and muscle twitches. Intentional movements are too slow.