[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 150 KB, 640x965, 972911633-00.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2714108 No.2714108 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /vr/ I have found that a few of my friends consider themselves "Hard-core FPS Fans" when most of them don't even know about Half Life or Perfect Dark. Even going as far as to say that Doom and Quake are both shitty games.

This pissed me off, so I ask you guys, what do you guys think of the golden age of FPS? Any fond memories?

>> No.2714113

>>2714108
>Any fond memories?
Most of my fond memories actually

>> No.2714119

>>2714113
I remember the late night Red Bull fueled Rocket Fag matches in Doom, oh the nostalgia is coming back

>> No.2714121

>>2714119
*tag

>> No.2714129

>Perfect Dark

Are you trying to imply that hardcore FPS fans enjoy or care about console pleb titles?

>> No.2714138

>>2714129
>hardcore
The fag enjoys CoD on his Xbox
I prefer CS myself.

>> No.2714148

>>2714108
>This pissed me off
I got pissed off just reading about those faggots.

>> No.2714168

>>2714108
>waiting for WADs to download on dial-up
It took too long because I was an impatient child, but in some ways the wait made it even more fun.

>> No.2714175

>>2714168
>WADs
Oh, jesus I remember playing the one that the guy who shot up Columbine made, it was alright.

>> No.2714178

>>2714129
>Are you trying to imply that hardcore FPS fans enjoy or care about console pleb titles?

I play Doom and Perfect Dark. Both games are excellent and ultimately different flavors of FPS.

>> No.2714194
File: 27 KB, 607x358, Marathon-intro.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2714108

>> No.2714202

My fondest memory is watching my dad play ultimate doom

hed let me watch him until like 4 am, even though i had school in the morning and he had to work

i remember back in those days (like 4th grade 1995) id have wicked nightmares and dreams of doom i kind of miss

we never called the monsters their original names, like the pinky demons were always "devil dogs" and the cyber demon was the "rocket demon"

>> No.2714206

>>2714202
>>we never called the monsters their original names, like the pinky demons were always "devil dogs" and the cyber demon was the "rocket demon"

:)

>> No.2714210

>>2714202
>Devil Dogs
I remember calling them that, though the Cyberdemon was always called "Big Boss" to me, this was before I knew what MG was.

>> No.2714218

>>2714202
My dad couldn't finish the game on anything but the easiest two difficulties. He was embarrassed and refused to get Doom 2.

>he called pretty much everything some variant of shit-demon, poo-devil, or scat-crawler

>> No.2714220

>>2714202
it was weird too, up until like 2001 i didnt even know doom was on computer, just ps1 and nintendo

now i prefer doom 2 ps1 port for its dank doom64 music and sounds

>> No.2714223

Oh man, I remember playing the Pit on Doom 2 and hearing the song "Into Sandy's City" I couldn't help but love it, I even won a school talent show for playing a few tracks from the Doom OST on piano

>> No.2714231

>>2714223
Did they immediately suspend you when they found out what the music was from?

>> No.2714232

>>2714223
oh man, into sandy's city has always been my favorite track next to the one from Tricks and Traps

>> No.2714234

>>2714108
>Even going as far as to say that Doom and Quake are both shitty games.

Eh, still better than BROOTUL DUUM fags.

>> No.2714239

>>2714234
>this so bad

dont get me wrong its a cool wad and all, but i hate how people praise it as the way doom was meant to be played

also the guy who made BD is a fucking prick

>> No.2714241

>>2714231
Suprisingly no, I wasn't suspended, but I got scorned by my computer teacher when I came the day after.

>> No.2714243

>>2714239
BD is a cool WAD and all, but I'd take the original over it any day

>> No.2714256

Apart from Payday 2, Doom has one of my favorite OSTs out there.

>> No.2714328

>>2714108
because back then, people and the press was getting bored of that formula.

>> No.2714375
File: 45 KB, 618x463, mario.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Well I enjoyed Doom and Quake, and also some others like Heretic and Descent. And I know a lot of people back then did too.
But times changed, and people want different things now. Even the ones who still play those games, many don't accept the original and think it's flawed, so they invent new things like ZDoom and whatnot. Very very few still play with the old game from the 90's, with its pixely graphics, limited scripting (DeHackEd) and so on.
I still do, anytime I decide to play those games again it's always to play the original in emulator, or maybe with Chocolate Doom.. Just like I always play the NES Super Mario Bros instead of remakes or "HD" versions..
But I think now people have decided the old FPS aren't good enough anymore, and even if they don't outright say they're bad games, their actions betray their thoughts.
And not only have they decided the old games are bad, they also reject the old, freeform level design from the 90's. I played some really insane and surreal maps for Doom and Quake those days, which you don't see many anymore in that style. If someone does try, he often gets reminded that design is "outdated" via bad reviews or negative forum posts in project thread. Now they expect you to follow some game design formulas, to restrict creativity.
So your friends are basically right in the end, as everyone else agrees with them.
But I don't really care now, and all my projects are abandoned. Instead, I spend my time with much older things, that nobody will try to change or corrupt, because it would be pointless, and because those who would do such things are inherently repulsed by such old things to begin with. Thanks for turning me into retro game hipster! *tips fedora*

>> No.2714396

>>2714241
>>2714231
I don't get it, why would it matter? Was it supposed to be original music or something?

>> No.2714404

>>2714396
in the 90's everyone's parents assumed that playing doom made you possessed by the devil

at least thats what my mom told me

>> No.2714413
File: 116 KB, 1024x768, 20529-clive-barker-s-undying-windows-screenshot-the-lovely-lizbeth.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Whew...step aside, unpopular opinions comin' through!

The three most incredible FPS experiences I ever had in the older generation and why are as follows:

1. Unreal. The original one. At the time it came out realism in graphics was king. The marketing gimmick for Unreal was that it was...well, unreal to look at. Since many of us were kids or sperm at this time I know a lot of people couldn't convince their parents to throw together a rig that would run it. By the time my family had a computer that ran it in decent settings other much more hype games had been introduced and I feel like this game fell into a really unfortunate crack. Then UT came along and this was the first intro many players had to Unreal and they were all completely unrelated to the source game. This is a real shame! The source game, once you began it, simply swallows you in immersion! The game tells a story amazingly well with only scattered notes and level design - something that fans of HL will quickly remind you was pretty damn rare at that time. This game deserves your time if you haven't played it already. It's simply amazing and holds up well.

2. Blood. I'm gonna eat a lot of shit for this I bet, but Blood was a metric shitload of fun. Too bad about the sequel, but Cryptic Passage was a great little expansion on an already amazingly well made FPS. It had the most enjoyable weapon spread in any FPS to date - Duke included. Plus the level design had a ton of variety, making multiplayer and single player exciting. Not to mention dat Type O.

3. Clive Barker's Undying. Is it retro? SURE! I'm guessing you have heard of it, and those of you who haven't played it passed due to Clive Barker's name being the first 2/3 of the title. Those of you who played it discovered a (nearly) finished masterpiece. Yeah, the final boss is a mess. But up to that point this game is fucking chilling. There's a reason this game was jizzed all over by critics - even if the public ignored it.

>> No.2714419

>>2714413
These are not unpopular opinions on /vr/ at all.

>> No.2714427

>>2714419

Really? Sweet. Nevermind then, all of you have great taste in games.

>> No.2714473
File: 1.90 MB, 220x160, 1419357488683.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2714243
>tfw my boss says bd is what doom was "meant to be"

I smile and nod

and die a bit

>> No.2714518

>>2714473
Is this some cultural thing in your country? If my boss says something stupid I just call him a dumb cunt. He's not a client, why do you have to let him think he's right?

>> No.2714813

>>2714473
I wouldn't say all that, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't find it fun. It's like an X-Men comic from the 90's: awful and over the top in pretty much every way, but also silly fun.

>> No.2714967

>>2714518
>Is this some cultural thing in your country? If my boss says something stupid I just call him a dumb cunt.

What country are *you* in?

>> No.2714997

>>2714473
it's just an opinion, man. If the mod had been released closer in time to the game and was slightly less bloated, it would be a classic.

>> No.2715096

>>2714234
lol this, fuck those brutal babbies

>>2714108
but to be completely honest though I sincerely couldn't give less of an autistic shit about cancerous Halo spergs calling a game bad seeing as absolutely nobody on the internet takes them seriously to begin with kek

also, related: have any of you guys seen the Master Chief vs Doomguy death battle?

protip: lol don't

the comment section is literally filled with terminal cancer autistic 12 year olds and manchildren spouting fuckall about the Doom series

some of them even say the Unmaker and the soul cube wouldn't even phase masterchef because both work off demon energy

they even think doom 3 guy and classic doomguy are the same character kek smh tbh

>> No.2715109

>>2714375
>many don't accept the original and think it's flawed, so they invent new things like ZDoom

literally fucking what son

zdoom and derivatives were made simply due to the original exe not working in modern systems further from DOS emulation and the Chocolate and Crispy Doom ports, both of which pitch the original feel and atmosphere on fucking point and are near perfect reproductions of the original game, people to this day even use PrBoom+ to record demos vanilla style for christ's sake

It has fuckall to do with people thinking it's flawed

>> No.2715176

>>2714997
oh man, if BD came out in 1994, then yes, id call it the best thing ever too

>> No.2715278

>playing doom around 2am
>wandering thru the dark
>clip clop clip, clip clop clip
>fucking imps
>round corner
>shit pants

I played doom so much I dreamt about it and would randomly hear sounds from the game for no reason.

>> No.2715297

>>2714518
>If my boss says something stupid I just call him a dumb cunt
what the actual fuck

>> No.2715303

>>2715278
aw man me too, i sorta miss the dreams though

the worst nightmare i had was i was in e2m1, and i was trying to run through a bridge that was falling

>> No.2715330

>>2714518
Is this some cultural thing in your country? If my boss shows any weakness I just kill him and take his position. He's not a leader, why do you have to let him think he deserves to live?

>> No.2715369

>>2714108
I was born in '86

I grew up on Doom, Doom II, Final Doom, Duke 3D, Blood, Shadow Warrior, Quake and Quake II. My taste will always be objectively superior to any of yours and I'm also better than you at every single video game we both happen to enjoy.

I hate hipster Doom babies that think they're special for playing these games. It's like you morons think you deserve an award or some shit. You fags are just as annoying as the fags OP is talking about - if not more. You're no different to those obnoxious 15 year old stoner kids that have recently started smoking weed and feel the need to tell everyone about it. Truthfully I hate the /vr/ Doom community for these reasons and to me it represents a giant zit on the canvas of /vr/. Threads like these are also fucking gay and are nothing more than a gigantic circle jerk of tryhard little Doom babies like OP.

You all make me sick and I wish you'd find another bandwagon to jump onto. You're a disgrace to Doom and every other "retro" FPS you manage to get your greasy little paws on. Just go back to Halo already where you really belong you fucking faggots.

>> No.2715374

>>2715369
lol

>> No.2715380

>>2715369
fag

>> No.2715386

>>2715369
shitter

>> No.2715410
File: 39 KB, 788x514, 1491663_662294440485474_5311502442697480878_n.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2715369

>> No.2715525

It's simple OP: Modern, ironsights, regenerating health shooters have very low skill ceilings and constantly shower the player with praise every time they do fucking anything.

Compare that to, say, Doom, which has a pretty high skill ceiling and doesn't praise the player for pickup up 4 shotgun shells.

Just think about the cycle of combat in both games:

>Doom
>nearly all damage is avoidable
>health doesn't regenerate
>must avoid a certain percentage of damage while killing enemies to survive a level

>Cawadooty
>damage is unavoidable hitscan 99% of the time
>health regenerates, allowing infinite fuckups as long as you get behind something in time
>instead of skill based dodging of enemy fire, you pop up, shoot a muslim, and sit back down to regenerate health
>rinse wash repeat

>> No.2715532

>>2714413
I played Undying recently and I found the game fun until after killing Elizabeth.

After that you just kind of dick around the same mansion corridors for a while until you go back to the otherwordly dimension, buttfuck your rival, and go to the autumn themed world with all the cavemen to kill the last sister. It just felt kind of short and boring after you take out Elizabeth.

It didn't help that Scythe + Haste = instant win once you get enough mana scryes or whatever they're called that you keep Haste up and the Scythe attack that regens health constantly.

>> No.2715534

>>2715525

Iron sights are a good feature.

>> No.2715557

I think the weapon reloading mechanic is a detriment to FPSes as it is stopping the player from ceaselessly murdering

If you can't be the night train then what's the point

>> No.2715579

>>2714129
Perfect Dark still has more attention to detail put into it than most PC and console FPS games out there.

>> No.2715583

>>2714121
>rocket fag

what's rocket tag, an actual mode or just what id shooters were like sometimes?

>>2714138
Personally I don't think CS is much of a step in the right direction, but then I'm of the opinion that if it's a shooter and it isn't classic idsoft, it basically isn't worth your time.

Anyway, it all makes me wish that shooters never flourished on consoles. There is no superior currently out there to the mouse for first-person gaming (perhaps for 3D gaming in general), and that dual-analog controllers continue to be the standard by which shooters are designed is only holding the entire genre back.

>> No.2715585

>>2715579
And its predecessor, Goldeneye, gave inspiration to Thief.

It goes to show that a good game is a good game, no matter the system. And people legitimately calling people console babbies on /vr/. Aside from the fact that this is juvenile behavior, everyone's computer can run shit from the 90s. Quit acting like a chode baout it.

>> No.2715634

>>2715534
No they're not. Shut the fuck up you idiot.

>> No.2715791

>>2715410
>>2715386
>>2715380
>>2715374

This is truly the greatest board for talking about video games. Every time I see a retarded post there's four people to shoot it down. Thank god there's people with sense here.

>> No.2716052

>>2715369
Lol, look at this tryhard

>> No.2716063

>>2714108
There are two types of FPSs. Doom, Wolf 3d, Duke Nukem 3D and Half Life are all true FPSs. CoD and Halo is shit for plebs who only care about online play.

>> No.2716070

>>2715369
canvas doesn't get zits

>> No.2716084

>>2715525
Regen health can work depending on what you are doing.
If all you have to do is sit still and wait for your lifebar to refill completely, then yes, that is boring, but if you're only capable of regenerating a little bit of health, then being forced to find or use an item, and/or use some kind of skill, only being able to actually fully heal yourself by taking action, I think that works.

I'd definitively say that modern devs use complete regen health as a crutch though.

>>2715634
I think it depends on what sort of game you're making, and what sort of weapons you're putting in the game, and ultimately how ADS affects the way the weapon performs.
If you're doing a realistic shooter, you're expected to have it, but if you're doing a game more styled like Duke3D, Doom or Half-Life, ADS probably wouldn't be well suited for most of the weapons.

They make sense where precision is an inherent part of their use, like with an assault rifle or carbine of some sort, you can make good use of it by just pointing it and putting out a volume of fire, but using the sights can make the weapon more useful in some situations.

For a pistol, it'd almost be pointless most of the time, but if you look at Duke, the way he uses his pistol is basically rapidly magdumping, with not too much thought put into accuracy, the pistol works for this, but in some maps, there are switches (often in puzzles) which you have to shoot, and Duke only really magdumping with his pistol, actually is very inaccurate even at quite short distances, and you're not unlikely to go through half a mag trying to hit just that one button (this is usually not too annoying, but some of them are timed). I figure, if you're having a similar situation today, it would't be a bad idea to have ADS on that pistol, to half shooting speed, but also half spread to make it more useful for a few specific situations, it wouldn't turn it into a sniper weapon, nor would it prevent you from using it normally.

>> No.2716089

>>2716084
Partial regen like in, say, Condemned 2, I'm fine with. Letting the player recover from light wounds easily but not serious ones is ok.

The only scenario where I liked full regen was in the Saints Row series, since it's a pretty easy sandbox game so combat isn't a terribly big focus anyway and the regen was pretty slow. IIRC it took like 2 minutes to go from near death to full.

>> No.2716110

>>2716089
I like the way it's done in Far Cry 3, or Riddick (I think it was Dark Athena or Escape From Butcher Bay), your healthbar is set up in increments, and an increment can slowly regrow, but if the increment empties it wont heal by itself and you have to do something about it to get that health back, and you can upgrade your health (in FC3 particularly, how many increments, how fast they regrow, how good you are at healing yourself, damage resistances, etc) as the game goes on.

Saint's Row 3 and 4 handled it alright, but I kind of feel like they could have been better with incremental health, and being able to carry items to heal you, like in 2.

>> No.2716236

>>2714967
Australia. "Cunt" should have been a tip off.

>> No.2716261

>>2714108
>This pissed me off, so I ask you guys, what do you guys think of the golden age of FPS? Any fond memories?
Drawing maps for Blood that I will never make. Listening to the Doom MIDI while not actually playing just because I loved the music but wasnt aware of mp3 players as a kid. Playing Quake 2 with my mother who eventually stopped playing games and I started playing all of them. Getting lost in Hexen which isn't really a fond memory but I would come back to it later on and find it to be a brilliant game. Draw fan-made enemies for Doom. Being amazed by Unreal and loving the shit out of the Terraniux music. Good times.

I love old style FPS and it saddens me that a few of these series are dead or don't really live up to the past games (not to say new is bad, just that I feel new titles try too hard to fit in with modern games instead of being themselves.) It pains me that Atari will never release Blood's rights and that I will die before I see Caleb again in a new title.

>> No.2716312

>>2715369
OP here
Ok, growing up, I played most of the games you did, so I'm not a "Doom Baby". I enjoyed the games as a kid, I still do now, but I guess that I have to be wrong because some autist said I haven't played as long as he has. Elitists like you are the bane of any decent franchise ever created. Maybe if you weren't a fucking faggot who thinks he's special because he played a game for a few years more than someone else, you would see that I was posting this to remember the good times of Doom before the Cawadooty babies came. Nah, that would be out of your range of comprehension.

>> No.2716315

>>2715583
Rocket Tag was a deathmatch where everyone had Rox and could only do damage via direct hit, hence the word Tag

>> No.2716336

Been playing Brutal Doom lately, I'm really enjoying it.

Who else has some love for brutal doom?

>> No.2716358
File: 811 KB, 1260x1798, HUGE1362765586421.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2716336

i do

>> No.2716451

>>2714129
As much as I hate consoles and pieces of shit who defend them, console shooters are usually much better games than PC shooters.

>> No.2716463
File: 8 KB, 200x192, latest[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2715330

>> No.2716681

>>2716451
>I hate consoles
Are you absolutely sure you're on the right board?

>> No.2716689

>>2716681
He is
PC retro gaming was a thing before you plebs even dreamed about getting home consoles

>> No.2716695

>>2716315
sounds choice

>> No.2716704

>>2716689
And some people around here were around when Pong was new.
Stop acting like hot shit because you're a couple of years older than some of the other users, it's really fucking embarrassing to see a 20-something play on his seniority to another 20-something because he inherited his brother/uncle's old shit.

This board is about the videogames not your e-penis.

>> No.2716742

>>2715369
>doom babies

You're still trying to force this here? Give up man you weren't able to do it when you tried like six months ago and you're not going to be able to do it now.

>> No.2716747

>>2716742
He'll never stop, breh, his autism is unrelenting.

He's the kind of guy who's aggressively invested in his own ego, he isn't actually here because he likes old games and wants to talk about them, thus he is an enemy to /vr/.

>> No.2716756

>>2714473
I think it's fine if you use the classic weapons. The gore itself is a great addition to Doom but the revamped inventory is unbalanced as fuck

>> No.2716781

>>2716451
>As much as I hate consoles and pieces of shit who defend them
refined autism

>> No.2716794

>>2714813
>>2714997
>>2716756
I should mention that I do enjoy brutal doom, but it feels so much different than classic doom that I just can't agree that the id wanted the original games to be like that.

>> No.2716970
File: 86 KB, 500x671, 1279905519215.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Guys, the weapon bobbing and the run speed make me sick. Turning weaponbob off makes it look too stiff.

Is there a mod to make moving around more realistic and/or fun?

>> No.2716971

>>2716970
Ah shit, I thought this was the Doom General.

>> No.2717069

>>2716756
If you revamp weapons you kinda have to revamp enemies too, in my opinion.

I like Accessories To Murder a lot better for this than BD.

>> No.2717341

>>2714413
I remember playing the Undying demo, then being completely unable to find it in stores, and forgetting about it.

Played it recently, it's still a great game. Atmospheric, scary, but doesn't let the horror be the main focus of the game, decently written (actually, amazingly written for it's time), and... Yeah.

Unreal is a classic but I don't rate it as high as you do, Doom and Quake were more my foundational FPSes. Hell I still play Doom a lot.

>> No.2717927

Your friends are faggots. No legit explanation I mean it. If they keep talking about how superior MACs are you can be sure.

>> No.2717967

I begged my grandma to buy me the doom shareware version on diskette way back in '94. I played Knee Deep over and over and over until Doom 2 came out. Basically, just loads of doom guys. I love it. I will always love it.

>> No.2718056

>>2716070
I am a medical doctor and I can confirm this.
I hope someone in the textiles industry can comment too.

>> No.2718058

>>2715096
"smh"?

>> No.2718679

>>2714108
I didn't really get into old-school FPS games until a year ago, but I did use to play Serious Sam with some friends back in middle school. Don't know if SS counts towards the "golden age" but I have a lot of fond memories of that

>> No.2719965

>>2718058
Nignog speak for "shaking my head".
Shitposters use it ironically.