[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 118 KB, 800x600, SNES_Games.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2702056 No.2702056 [Reply] [Original]

Why was it so normal to throw away game cases back during the 90's? Everybody did it, all of my friends and even today it's very very rare to find a used game with its original box included.

I didn't know any better, I was just a stupid kid. All it would've taken was for my parents to sternly tell me to keep it and my collection would be so much prettier today.

>> No.2702067

My SMS and Genesis games all had nice cases. When I bought my SNES, I decided to save the cardboard box and I've been doing it for my Nintendo games ever since.

>> No.2702069

>Why was it so normal to throw away game cases
Because normal people aren't sperglord autist manchildren

>> No.2702071

I threw my cardboard SNES and N64 cases away but kept my plastic Mega Drive cases.

>>2702069
Go away.

>> No.2702074

>I was just a stupid kid

This was pretty much it. It always seemed like people who were adults or at least old enough to know better in the NES era kept everything in really nice shape. When you get right down to it there's really no reason to just put the cartridge in its box when you're done playing. It's not like the box takes up that much more room.

>> No.2702103

Because the cardboard ones were very easily ripped and/or squashed.

>> No.2702106

>>2702074
I can fit 20 carts plus manuals in a shoebox. Why should I fumble around with individual boxes when I just want to play the game? I'm not a hoarder, I don't expect people to be impressed by my wall of boxes, and I don't particularly care about a piece of cardboard that was only meant to catch my eye in the store. I could understand keeping the box for something fragile or oddly shaped, but most packaging belongs in the garbage or the recycling bin.

>> No.2702108

>>2702074
>It always seemed like people who were adults or at least old enough to know better in the NES era kept everything in really nice shape.
Do you have any kind of evidence to back this up or is it just anecdotal evidence at best? Most people threw away the boxes because they're just flimsy cardboard packaging that aren't practical for storing games.

>> No.2702109

Cardboard game boxes aren't very sturdy and take up space. Nintendo skimped on packaging, and thus it's harder to find CIB games for retro Nintendo systems.

Sega had hard plastic cases for their Master System and Genesis games, which are sturdy. You're more likely to find CIB copies of SMS and Genesis games as a result.

>> No.2702112

>>2702106

Almost every game you own is worth at least triple (if not far more) if you kept the box along with the game in good condition.

>> No.2702114

>>2702109
I did this, except I cut out the front of the box on system like the SNES cause I love the art, stuffed it right behind the manuals

>> No.2702120

>>2702114
whoops, this was meant for
>>2702112

>> No.2702124

>>2702056
It's weird, I used to purposefully save my boxes and manuals as a kid. I didn't care about the conditions and never went to lengths to protect them, I just liked to look a the cover art and especially the manuals (back when manuals used to be fun to look through). The issue was they were made of really cheap cardboard and mostly ended up destroyed or thrown out. None of my old boxes made it, and only a handful of manuals survived. I think they were just too cheaply made to be considered worth saving for most people.

>> No.2702139

>>2702108
Well, I mean, yeah, it's anecdotal, I'm just talking about my own experiences. I don't know how you could source something like that. I'm just remembering how my parents got the NES in 1988 right before I was born and they kept everything (Until they threw everything out in the early 90s but that's another story entirely), a friend of mine's aunt got the NES at launch, kept everything in box, had a lot of the initial black box games, all of which was given to my friend last year. Again, it's all anectdotal, but when my parents had the NES, they stored the games in the same entertainment center in the same fashion as the VHS cases, box standing upright sitting next to each other. I mean, granted, these are the same parents who, when CDs initially came out, kept those big boxes they used to come in (The ones 3DO games were packaged in), but I always just figured keeping the packaging would be something an adult would do.

>> No.2702147

>>2702112
If I'm not gonna sell them why would I care?

>> No.2702148

Because they aren't plastic.

Kids were used to buying Legos and Hot wheels where you throw away the flimsy cardboard for the prize inside.

That's why people throw away GBC boxes and not DS boxes. Plus most games are on discs now, which must be kept in their cases to avoid scratching. PS1 and Dreamcast didn't have this problem.

>> No.2702150

>>2702112
Who cares? They're just going to go to family and friends anyway when I don't want them any longer. And if no one will take them they'll go to Goodwill, and eventually end up in the hands of someone who cares more about the game than its packaging for a (hopefully) reasonable price.

>> No.2702151

>>2702056
Those are not game cases in your pic. They are boxes, packaging, stuff people are accustomed to throwing away because it's just cheap cardboard, akin to a cereal box. Video game collecting wasn't even a thought in people's minds at the time, let alone to little kids. Cartridges were sturdy, they didn't need protection. It wasn't until games came on CDs thought I even thought about keeping the box to store them in so they wouldn't get scratched.

>> No.2702152

>>2702056
You are a 9 year old kid. You just got a brand new SNES game. Do you give a flying fuck about the box or the manual or any of that?

No you don't.

>> No.2702160

>>2702056
Honestly? They were shitty cardboard boxes. Most of my Genesis games were in cases still because they were nice plastic boxes. All of the SNES games I had, the box was binned within the day, it was just a piece of cardboard.

Most people would probably do similar.

>> No.2702163

I remember that my parents would just toss them if they were mangled to shit and looked like garbage. I still have the box for my very first SNES game, TMNT:TiT, but it was flattened to shit and the manual is well read as fuck.

I really don't care though because what matter is that I still have that copy and the sticker on the game is still in good condition.

>> No.2702176
File: 252 KB, 600x600, 1411055420585.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2702152
My man. Used to rip that shit up in the backseat of my parent's car like I was your aunt's little dog you always hated. No regrets. Not like I'll sell those carts I play daily anyway.

>> No.2702183

It was normal for NES and SNES games but not for all games for instance genesis had hard coded cases that people mostly kept.

>> No.2702184

>>2702056
They were flimsy cardboard

Hard to keep them in good condition

>> No.2702187

The idea that there are literally millions if lost boxes out there is pretty funny.

I always kept the instructions anyway.

>> No.2702208

No one ever did that in my experience, but nobody I knew had a Nintendo console. Master System, Mega Drive, Saturn/Playstation, and Dreamcast games came in hard covers, so nobody threw them away, MS and MD cases were like video cases.

>> No.2702271

>>2702152
Fuck you I always read the manuals on the way home from the store.

>> No.2702276

>>2702056
Game cases, like childhood, are lost or discarded with time.

>> No.2702312

>>2702184
This. I kept all of mine. Literally all of them. But most of my friends destroyed them or trashed them immediately.

>> No.2702324

I took pretty good care of my stuff as a kid, but it never occurred to me that I should be preserving things so I'd still have all of it for twenty years later.

>> No.2702351

Most of my games were secondhand, so they rarely came with a box, anyway.

>> No.2702421

>>2702069
/thread

>> No.2702429

cardboard game cases are trash only coveted by autistic collectorfags

>> No.2702443

My story and mine only:
I had a lot of games from SNES and I kept the boxes and manuals. My mom was friends of people that had a rental store, so she made me agree to lend my games in exchange for moneys from the rentals, so I could buy more games. So, as I was convinced to cut my boxes to fit them in rental plastic boxes.

Dumbest idea ever... But I kept some of the manuals, so i'm buying some repro boxes and getting everything back, so whatever.

(I had about 60 snes games, so not the biggest collection, but a lot for a 12 year old)

>> No.2702446

>>2702421

Those "sperlord autist manchildren" (meaning people who don't throw away shit for no good reason and actually like games enough to keep the artwork, manual, etc.) were pretty smart since they're now able to resell this shit for some good amount of money.

I had the box and manual for EVO: Search for Eden, Mega Man X3, Mega Man 7, and dozens of other games, but after keeping that for a couple years in a wardrobe, we just decided to put it in the recycling bin. I could've probably made at least $2000 if I just kept all this rare shit, and I wouldn't have loose cartridges laying around.

>> No.2702460

>>2702446
>resell this shit for some good amount of money
>one days worth of work at a fast food restaurant

>> No.2702470

>>2702056
1: The cases were very easily damage, being cheap, thin cardboard. Thus, there was little reason to keep cases around when they usually included a dust cover and unlike vhs covers, weren't sleek and form-fitting(and easier to use than a paper game case- just slide it in and you're done!), which leads to..
2: Other cases did indeed fair better; take a look at genesis cases, which were made of somewhat strong plastic and could actually take the beatings and accidents children are so prone to causing. Looking again at vhs, while the paper covers were far more likely to survive than paper game cases, you'll notice Disney opted for plastic cases, most of which were long-lived enough to still be spotted in just about any thrift store right now.
3: Cartridge games were basically their own "case" and until sometime in the mid-snes lifetime, nintendo carts came with dust covers, so considering the previous points, there was even less reason to keep the cases, which were essentially seen as little more than disposable packaging.

>> No.2702472

>>2702446

That shit would SQUAT on ebay for weeks to months waiting to sell.

>> No.2702478

>>2702056
Video games are just another toy for children so of course they are going to throw the packaging away.

>> No.2702492

>that weird, smelly kid who had a Nintendo console

>> No.2702740

>>2702446
Nope. All the worthless sperlord autist manchildren got thrown out of their parents basement years ago and I picked up all their shit for $1 a game when their mom sold it at a garage sale.

>> No.2702752

I never thew away the cases, nor did I know anybody who did.
Must have been an american thing.

>> No.2702756

>>2702752
Nah its a hoarder thing.

>> No.2702761

>>2702752
GET THE HELL OFF MY BOARD YOU STUPID EUROPEAN SHITPOSTING PIECE OF FUCK I HATE YOU FA**OTS SO MUCH GET OUT GET OUT GET OUT LEAVE JUST KEAVE ALREADY JESUS FUCKING CHR*ST JUST LEAVE THIS BOARD ALREADY GO BACK TO WHATEVER SHITHOLE YOU CRAWLED OUT OF BEFORE I SHOVE YOU BACK THERE JUST LEAVE BEFORE I GET UPSET

NOW GO LEAVE GET THE HELL OUT SCOOT SCRAM SKEDADDLE SOD OFF MAKE LIKE A TREE AND GET OUT

>>>/pol/
>>>/int/
>>>/tv/
>>>/v/
>>>/b/

>> No.2702768

>>2702761
hhhahaha oh wooow!!!!!!

>> No.2702770

>>2702056
Fuckin' Secret of Evermore. Goddamn it I love that game.

>> No.2702786

>>2702761
This is a japanese website. Calm down, cowboy.

>> No.2702897
File: 4 KB, 124x109, edge.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2702761

>> No.2702906

Because back then people had other things in mind than saving a fucking cardboard box to sell 20 years later, or taking pictures of them to post on the internet.

>> No.2702924
File: 51 KB, 960x720, 1426517401784.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2702761

Great post, I lol'd for real.

>> No.2702927

I was a poorfag kid and the only game I owned new was FF IX because my divorced parents co opted getting it for me and my sister. Everything else was used from Gameforce (Later Gamezone) at Rutland & Lamar next to the chinese place.

Playstation games obviously demanded having a case and I dont think any shop would buy just a loose disk. The only carts I had with boxes were for the Genesis because they were hard plastic and the paper was laminated.

In five or six years of buying used carts I cant think of seeing a single SNES box. The two stores I bought from always had the good ones set out on display and a couple rows of them stacked like dominos. Im guessing even if you sold it with the box that shit went in the trash

>> No.2702938
File: 50 KB, 544x387, bnb-24_1_sized_544x500.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

It's because they were made of cardboard and bent. You don't really see people pitching plastic cases out unless they use something like this for some reason.

>> No.2702940

Because there was no practical need for them. You really think a kid is gonna give a shit about the box art or manual for what they consider is essentially a new toy? I'm glad the few that did exist but it's perfectly understandable why most threw that shit out until CD became the common format making it a requirement to keep them in order to not kill the game.

Though it's not like it stopped most kids from throwing them away anyway. Fuck that guy who stacked their PS1 discs on top of the table with the data side down.

>> No.2702945

Because video games are, at their core, toys. Maybe /toy/ has this discussion too - I don't know, I don't go there - but think of all the other toys you got as a kid. Think of the action figures, or the playsets, or the RC cars, or whatever. How many kids kept the packaging for that stuff? I'm sure the answer is "not many."

It's no different for video games.

>> No.2702946

I never knew anyone who did that. Maybe some of my friends might've done it, but I never heard about it. I, my brother and my cousins always kept our game boxes. I suppose it helps that my parents and my uncle are all collectors and don't like throwing things away.

I do wish I could've kept my boxes in better condition. Living in a crowded house with a bunch of siblings, many of the boxes got flattened, destroyed or lost over the years.

>> No.2702957
File: 80 KB, 442x650, 1414338232226.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2702940
>Fuck that guy who stacked their PS1 discs on top of the table with the data side down.
Every single one of my relatives still do it to this day with pretty much any CD or DVD and then they buy a new copy whenever it stops reading.

>> No.2702959

/vr/ is really shit now.

Why do you faggots have to ruin everything?

>> No.2702964

>>2702959
Because people like you always whine about the shitposters giving them a reason to keep shitposting.

>> No.2702970

>>2702940
It still goes on today too. I'm baffled how many naked DS, 3DS, and console discs are naked these days even though the packaging is much more essential for not damaging or losing the game. Not to mention it's much more durable than the old cardboard.

>> No.2703013

>>2702959
It's not nearly as bad as v. This is a pretty good thread don't you think?

>> No.2703014

>>2702056
Because they were bulky and deliberately made too-large to deter shoplifting (as if the games being locked behind glass wasn't enough).

What's rare now are the original Playstation long-boxes that games were packaged in during its first couple of years.

>> No.2703038
File: 60 KB, 609x664, 1442914965827.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2702959

?

A thread on 4chan being discussed by people who post like adults that is board relevant is what makes /vr/ shit these days?

Makes my ass wanna dip a snuff, swear.

>> No.2703110

>>2702056
It's just a piece of cardboard packaging. It's meant to be thrown away. I could understand if it was an actual case like the Genesis had, but what's the point of holding onto a cardboard box?

>> No.2703238

I suspect type of box has something to do with it.

If the box was designed to open/close in one easy move, allowing you to access/store the game with a minimum of hassle, you would be more likely to use it as such.

If the box required you to pull/push a tab and then pull/push a tray, or even more additional steps, then you would naturally feel the box was only for long term storage/shipping rather than everyday use.

Consider the cardboard boxes used by some Genesis games.
The simple sleeve+sliding tray is quick and easy to use.
The hard front cover Accolade style box is reasonably quick and easy.
The kinds that resemble the traditional Nintendo method where you have to pull/push a big tab at the top and then pull out the contents is less than ideal, who wants to deal with that every single time.
Taken to the extreme is the one-off big box generally reserved for bundled accessories or books. Obviously unpacking/repacking your accessories every time would be ridiculous.
I believe the Menacer pack-in cart uses a flip front cover, but I can't confirm it - I've seen this used on 8bit computer software though.

Compare those examples to your own experience of what kind of boxes you have found in the wild.

>> No.2703319

A lot of us used to open the packing to our toys and chuck it.

Back when I worked in an indie shop during the N64 time we did have somebody try to swap a new released game and got shocked when they got quoted a considerably lower price (Used to give a max of £20 on loose N64 games as it was a loose cart, if it had its box its worth a lot more
Mum turns to her kid "Where's the box?"
"In the bin"
They came back a few hours later with a crushed soggy box round it that they expected a lot more for
We couldn't sell it as "boxed" in that condition

Think it was a South Park
What a load of crap that game was

>> No.2703534

>>2702761
Thank you for censoring the words that trigger me most :^)

>> No.2703715

>>2702056
>Cases
Because they weren't really cases.
They were packaging, just the box they sold it in.

I don't believe Nintendo expected anyone to keep the box knowing that their cartridges were pretty resilient.
If the intention was for us to keep them then they would have made them plastic like a VHS or cassette tape etc.
If they had included a NES style sleeve that'd be cool.

>> No.2704634

>>2702056

because believe it or not, the point of buying games is to play them and not to resell them.

>> No.2704738

>>2702056
>Why was it so normal to throw away game cases back during the 90's?
Cardboard.
Won't put the game back inside because it's not convenient
Take up space.

Sega got it right.

>One brilliant thing Iwata did was getting rid of the cardboard boxes for the GBA games and replace them with mini-DVD type plastic cases for DS games. He said he did this because adults don’t like cardboard boxes. He was right. We don’t.

>> No.2704875

>>2702056
More importantly, why did so many throw away the instruction booklets outside of pretty ones like Pokemon and WD's?

>> No.2704915

>>2704875
I had a pile of GBA game manuals at one point. We're talking 40+ games of them and they would constantly topple over or tip to one side despite the fact it was layered back and forth.

This goes back to the cardboard thing again, since it was just paper people didn't really care. At best you would usually read it once and pitch it with the cardboard itself. Nowadays there's a sspace specifically for them in the plastic case so the only people who throw them away now are people who really don't care about manuals or DL codes.

>> No.2704961

>>2702056
cause most of the boxes were already damaged or crushed before they even left the store. besides which, you couldn't open them up without damaging the lip.

>> No.2704967

>>2702112
>Almost every game you own is worth at least triple (if not far more) if you kept the box along with the game in good condition.
No. Not really. An extra 5-20 bucks is more typical, but that's only if you find an autistic faggot willing to pay extra specifically for them and if they're in excellent condition, which most are not. Only games worth triple plus are still factory sealed.

>> No.2705589
File: 32 KB, 453x453, 1443339687933.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This is a matter of middle-class neuroses.

There are two types of middle-class parents. There are the parents who keep all of the kid's boxes, find all of the toys, and infer that these things will one day be rare or valuable. These parents get their share of the childlike wonderment of the toys, just on a higher level. They are almost more into the toys than the kids.

G.I. Joe is a great example. My mom kept all of the boxes of mine. Pretty sure she even had a bunch of lists she printed off the internet cataloging the collection & resell value. (She's an Antiques Roadshow mom.)

Beanie Babies is another one for the kids born in the 90's. There was one mom who used to hawk these out of her van trunk in the school parking lot to other parents. Dads who travel in their work would sniff out new releases. The kids just kinda look at the plushies & pretend with them, maybe collect them. Meanwhile, the parents shout "DON'T YOU FUCKING REMOVE THAT TAG."

The other type of middle-class parent just buys their kids toys to divert them and shut them up. They would just as well pay for a sitter or boarding school. They don't participate in the child's play. A contemporary equivalent is the parent who hands their kid an iPad and doesn't really give a shit what the kid does on it as long as it shuts them up. The boxes are gonna get thrown out-- these toys are trash to the parents.

Finally, there's the lower-class kid whose parents can maybe put together enough for a console at Christmas, whose relatives can maybe pay for a game every few months. These kids are automatically going to treat their stuff like relics. They were gonna keep their SNES boxes and they weren't gonna leave 'em on the floor to get crushed. If they continued to grow up in a bad neighborhood surrounded by low-lives and thugs, and if they didn't wanna participate in that, then they probably stuck to their vidya and nerdy stuff for sanity. And so to them the collection was sacred, and always will be sacred.

>> No.2705598

>>2705589
Type 2 here: I got rid of those boxes. I don't really regret it because I'm enough of a hoarder already. Obviously I keep boxes today but I'm not gonna regret not having beat up N64 boxes.

>> No.2705614

>>2702103
This, they're cardboard, they obviously weren't made to last.

>> No.2705624

>>2705589
>Finally, there's the lower-class kid whose parents can maybe put together enough for a console at Christmas, whose relatives can maybe pay for a game every few months. These kids are automatically going to treat their stuff like relics. They were gonna keep their SNES boxes and they weren't gonna leave 'em on the floor to get crushed. If they continued to grow up in a bad neighborhood surrounded by low-lives and thugs, and if they didn't wanna participate in that, then they probably stuck to their vidya and nerdy stuff for sanity. And so to them the collection was sacred, and always will be sacred.

Nope, poor kids typically look after things least well of all. It's rare they'll lose or damage their couple of games or consoles, but they tend not to give a shit about the finger things.

>> No.2705625

>>2705589
This is complete nonsense.

>> No.2705627

>>2705624
finer* dammit.

>> No.2705629

>>2705624
You're making a grand, sweeping generalization there. I work at a game store and I have plenty of poor kids that come in and have all of their discs in a stack, no cases, scratches on the top of the discs, cracks on the inside

>> No.2705636

>>2705629
Hello faggot.

I made my comments in the same context that he made his.

You understand? It was the SAME CONTEXT that HE MADE HIS COMMENTS.

You get it?

Of course it's generalizing, it's AVERAGE. It's GENERALLY. It's TYPICAL. Did you really think you were being smart or adding to something by coming in spouting that? Fuck you, your kind and your unhelpful and pointless remarks are the reason I hate the internet sometimes.

>> No.2705664
File: 16 KB, 300x225, $(KGrHqN,!oEFJNRDQdK!BSVJ4-Q9lg--60_35.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

It depends on the design of the box. If it's a simple box with flaps, no different than what you get most anything else in, it generally implies disposable.

Intellivision and Odyssey2 boxes however had a bookcase style design, where the front panel opened like the cover of a book, revealing the game sitting in a recess. This utility made it less likely for people to toss them out, and you can still find these games with boxes today despite being paper (versus the plastic SMS&Genesis cases.)