[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 129 KB, 900x859, controller.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2700810 No.2700810 [Reply] [Original]

Okay so I finally managed to get ahold of a Nintendo 64 again after a long ass time going without one, and while I plan on getting an everdrive 64 to address the games issue, I'm not sure where to go for a controller.

The system I got came with a Nintendo brand controller, but naturally the stick is worn to shit, I've heard about buying new sticks to replace the shitty ones that come with them by default. Should I go that route?

Are there -ANY- third party controllers that're sold nowadays that aren't absolute shitgarbage?

>> No.2701060

If you got a Gamecube controller, I believe there's adaptor cords you can buy if you're okay with that option.

>> No.2701084

>>2700810
The only third party controller I know of that isn't awful is the Hori Mini, which was only made in Japan and is typically sold for $60+. Stick replacements are not ideal. Supposedly one of the generic looking replacement sticks on Amazon is acceptable, but the others are not. Avoid the Gamecube-style replacement stick unless you manage to get one of Micro's replacement stick converter PCB's (not currently being sold) to go with it.

My personal suggestion would be to just buy a controller from Amazon or eBay or something that has a detailed description of the stick's condition. Test it on arrival and apply ceramic grease to extend the stick's life. The main games I know of that destroy sticks are Mario Party and Super Smash Bros, but some people are so careful that they wont even do the Bowser fights in Super Mario 64 with an original controller.

Of course, if you don't even care about having the original experience, buy an adapter.

>> No.2701093

>>2701084
Heed my first-hand experience that Harvest Moon 64 loosened up one of my controllers something awful.

>> No.2701569

>>2700810

I know that there's a Yobo controller that has a Gamecube type stick on it. It ended up breaking on me, but it was great while it lasted. IMO the official Nintendo controller is the best, in terms of performance and durability

>> No.2702085

>>2701084
>Avoid the Gamecube-style replacement stick unless you manage to get one of Micro's replacement stick converter PCB's (not currently being sold) to go with it.

I second this.
I have converted a total of 8 controllers this way.
They are a dream to use. Fiddly work to convert. But so very much worth it!
Do make sure to check back often to see if Micro makes any more of them.

>> No.2702118
File: 129 KB, 800x506, eN9ngAR.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

There is a GameCube style replacement available, however it is too sensitive, thus making it unplayable... Someone called micro created a new PCB that fixes this issue, making them the best god damn replacements there are. Costs around 20-30 bucks per stick total (stick+better PCB)

If you can get your hands on it, you're set for life!
http://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?topic=5803.0

>> No.2702562

>>2701060

Apparently the adapter cables require a lot of extra inputs and fucking about to make sure they work with each game.

>>2702118

I don't trust myself with soldering, so that's out of the question, sadly.

Christ, I guess I'll bite the bullet and buy a Hori Minipad, I really wish Nintendo didn't make such a flimsy analog stick for their controllers. It seems like out of all the retro consoles, the 64 is the biggest hassle to replay nowadays

>> No.2702589

>>2702562
I'm not telling you not to buy one, but I'll let you know in advance that the Hori Mini is a bit sensitive. I only really use it for Smash, where it has its pros and cons (better SDI and dash dancing; worse up-airs/Yoshi egg tosses due to it being way too easy to accidentally jump). I haven't actually played many other N64 games since I got mine, so I couldn't tell you if it detracts from other games. However, I've heard it's less than ideal for FPS games.

>> No.2702592

>>2702589

I'm mainly focused on platformers and action games like Rocket: Robot on Wheels, Bomberman 64, and Body harvest. Maybe Hybrid Heaven too.

This is incredibly frustrating, seeing as ordering a used N64 controller is gonna be a complete crapshoot, and all of the third party stuff is horrible

>> No.2702596

>>2702592
You'd probably be fine with a Hori then. It's mainly cases in which you need precision (or the D-pad) that the Hori is flawed.

>> No.2702598

>>2702596

The only game I can think of where I need a Dpad is Mischief makers, which I have a worn out 64 controller for that, the stick is fucked but everything else is fine.

sucks ass the hori's are so expensive though.

>> No.2702652
File: 107 KB, 640x512, marioparty.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2701093

>> No.2702728

>>2701084
>>2702085

How bad are the gamecube sticks to use without that calibration?

>> No.2703363

>>2702728
Not good. FPS are impossible and even jump and runs are a pain... It just maxes out too quickly. It's basically like a dpad.