[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 33 KB, 597x396, N64.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2700492 No.2700492 [Reply] [Original]

Project 64U is a fork of Project 64 that is adware and malware free and also has a more aggressive approach to plugins and settings. It has ditched Jabo's video and uses GLideN64 by default, while also including Angrylion's and Glide64.

https://project64u.wordpress.com/2015/08/17/project-64u-download/

>> No.2700656

>>2700492
Does it have a netplay plugin?

>> No.2700667

>>2700492
That's a big fork.

>> No.2700719

>>2700656
>Does it have a netplay plugin?
No, largely because there is no plugin that works with modern PJ64 and/or has acceptable results.

>>2700667
>That's a big fork.
For you.

>> No.2700756

>>2700719
>For you.
Removing all the malware in the official version would take a while.

>> No.2700762

>>2700492
>>2700756
Wait, there's malware and adware in PJ64? What emulator do people use these days? I used to use PJ64 back in the day...

>> No.2700770

>>2700756
>Removing all the malware in the official version would take a while.
It literally just requires you to build the emulator and not use the installer. The adware is part of the installer -- it requests a package from a third party.

>> No.2700993

>>2700719

AZQ works like a charm in my experience.

>> No.2701025

>>2700762

Same. What happened to PJ64?

>> No.2701035

>>2700762
>>2701025

iirc in the installer of some newer versions there was one of these "uncheck this little box or we throw stuff you never wanted on your disk" things included. And someone said it installs something even if you uncheck it though I don't know if that is true or not. The program itself from a rar archive is clean.

But why would you use the inferior new versions? 1.6 and glide and you are fine.

>> No.2701036

>>2700762
Mupen64Plus

>> No.2702115

>>2700993
>AZQ works like a charm in my experience.
Have you tried it with modern PJ64?

>>2701035
>But why would you use the inferior new versions? 1.6 and glide and you are fine.
This is 100% wrong. 1.6 is ancient -- PJ64 has undergone drastic rewrites and is far more accurate and compatible now.

>> No.2702116

>>2701035
Also, Glide64 is a highly inaccurate dead end. GLideN64 is the future.

>> No.2702318
File: 61 KB, 156x267, 1442973866038.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2700719
>For you

>> No.2702327
File: 2.86 MB, 640x480, banegame.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

NOT RETRO
O
T

R
E
T
R
O

>> No.2702586

>>2702327
>Emulator for N64
>Not retro

>> No.2702620

>>2702115
>far more accurate and compatible now
Maybe a little bit, but I have my doubts. Project64 has stagnated since the 1.6 release in 2004. For the following ten years all it had were minor changes while the author lured people in with false promises of better compatibility in exchange for a monetary donation. In reality the 1.7 branch was very unstable and while it fixed some minor problems it ended up causing even more big ones.

The plugin model helped confuse things even more. The actual core emulation was still largely the same, but improvements to the support plugins written by other people change the experience drastically.

It's an emulator that should have been left to die over ten years ago, but it's still around today. N64 emulation and the accompanying scene are still shit and Project64 has a large hand in that. 1964 and Mupen64 both got forgotten about despite performing similarly if not better than Project64 1.6 and being completely open source. The only offspring there were the overclock fork of 1964 and the forever stunted Mupen64plus.

I don't see anything changing until Cen64 or MAME/MESS blossom fully, if ever. Otherwise nothing to see here; N64 emulation is still the exact same dead horse it has been for 10+ years.

>> No.2702658

>>2702318
Is there a photoshop template or some kind of website that makes these animated codec portraits?

>> No.2702679

>>2702620
>The plugin model helped confuse things even more. The actual core emulation was still largely the same, but improvements to the support plugins written by other people change the experience drastically.

This is pretty much untrue. PJ64's RSP was heavily rewritten in recent years. The UI was rewritten. (Hence the BSOD issues that were only just fixed.) The entire sound timing system has been changed since 1.6. LegendofDragoon and HatCat have been making improvements to the RSP emulation on a semi-regular basis. Also, LegendofDragoon is working on fixing Indiana Jones and Battle for Naboo in PJ64, which coincidentally already handles those games far better than mupen64plus and 1964. The emulator hasn't stagnated. 1964 was forgotten because it was always a faster, less accurate, open source PJ64. When PCs improved, the need for such an emulator dwindled. And when PJ64 became open source again in 2013, any interest in those emulators for non-mobile purposes pretty much died.

>> No.2702681

>>2700492
>It has ditched Jabo's video and uses GLideN64 by default, while also including Angrylion's and Glide64.
Which one do you recommend?

Also do you have a big list of games with problems and stuff like that? Thanks.

>> No.2702690

>>2702679
If there are any improvements in recent years it's almost certainly since the source was released in 2013. The emulator was as good as dead between 1.6 up until then.

Don't be so quick to knock 1964 or Mupen64; there was very little between either of them and Project64 a few years ago. Back when people were pushing the Glide plugin for whatever reason, 1964 was the emulator they recommended using it with. It was the choice between two open source emulators or the popular closed source one stuck in beta for almost eight years.

The reputation gathered by Project64 over the years is largely undeserved. I would have said that anyone wanting to contribute to an N64 emulator even now is making a big mistake by associating themselves with Zilmar's tainted monster. A glance at the github repo reveals little in the way of licensing. All that I can gather is that its partially GPLv2 at best. If they can get that cleared up it'd be a pretty good step in the right direction.

>> No.2702708

>>2702690
>If there are any improvements in recent years it's almost certainly since the source was released in 2013. The emulator was as good as dead between 1.6 up until then.
No, the RSP rewrite happened between 1.7 and 2.0 -- the reason 2.0-slash-2.1 was such a mess was because nobody had bothered to test the new RSP properly.

>Don't be so quick to knock 1964 or Mupen64; there was very little between either of them and Project64 a few years ago.

Yes there was. For example, neither of them have ever had their own LLE RSP recompiler. They also tended to rely on HLE wheras PJ64 used LLE for sound. I'm not writing them off, merely noting the difference. The "RSP Interpreter" that comes with mupen64plus was written by HatCat, who is the main RSP coder these days for PJ64, along with LegendofDragoon.1964 was the Xvid of N64 emulators. There's nothing wrong with it, per se. In fact, if you ignore the clunk, it's a pretty good emulator.

>Back when people were pushing the Glide plugin for whatever reason, 1964 was the emulator they recommended using it with. It was the choice between two open source emulators or the popular closed source one stuck in beta for almost eight years.

1964 saw very little improvement after 2002. Which, coincidentally, was when Glide64 turned up.

>A glance at the github repo reveals little in the way of licensing. All that I can gather is that its partially GPLv2 at best. If they can get that cleared up it'd be a pretty good step in the right direction.

The license stuff is being discussed. https://github.com/project64/project64/issues/584

Basically, every single source code file has

*License: ** GNU/GPLv2 http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-2.0.html
in its header. The only thing needed is a LICENSE file in the root directory and some stuff to handle the third party stuff included. Zilmar has been a tad sloppy about this sort of thing.

>> No.2702712

>>2702681
>Which one do you recommend?
GLideN64. If games don't work or look wrong, fall back on Glide64. GLideN64 is rather experimental and while it is THE plugin for games like Perfect Dark and Banjo even Mario 64 and such, it has problems with a lot of games.

Angrylion's is for people with really, really fast CPUs who wanna play Pokemon Snap.

>> No.2702718

>>2702708
Okay, thanks for clearing up all of that. It seems with P64 being open sourced the overall state of things doesn't seem as stagnant as it once was.

The remaining attempts at commercialization or monetization still do tremendous damage to the reputation of the project and related ones. The original point of this thread being the adware in the installer for one, then there are those few deadbeat do-nothing hangers on that insist on placing all their links behind adfly. If someone could kill Gonetz that'd be good too.

>> No.2702725

>>2702718
>If someone could kill Gonetz that'd be good too.
Gonetz is doing more for N64 graphics emulation than pretty much anyone else. Also, he's still working on GLideN64 despite not getting paid.

>> No.2702746

>>2702725
Considering AngryLion already got it perfect what Gonetz is doing is reinventing a worse wheel.

>despite not getting paid
Gonetz - $8000 from Indiegogo a year ago plus rolling donations from whoever is stupid enough to keep giving him money
AngryLion - $0

I'm still genuinely surprised there are people who defend this. Almost every other section of the emulation scene is full of hobbyists, enthusiasts and people who do it for the fun of it, but not here. N64 emulation scene still cancer.

>> No.2702753

>>2702746
>Considering AngryLion already got it perfect
No, he has not. Angrylion's plugin is slow, and useless for hardware acceleration. It will never render at above native resolutions.

Also, Angrylion's is not "perfect". Major bugs are still being fixed.

>> No.2702763

>>2702753
It's several orders of magnitude more accurate than anything else available, so anyone writing a similar plugin can largely use Angrylion's plugin as a reference.

It's the same old story. One or a few guys do all the hard work then other shitheads appear and try to take credit.

>Angrylion's plugin is slow
Your PC is just too slow to run it. If you had a good enough PC it'd run fine? Admittedly you'd probably need something state of the art from 2025, but still.

>useless for hardware acceleration
That's a good thing. Utilizing hardware acceleration is slow when there is a lot going on, i.e. in emulators using LLE. If it were hardware accelerated it would end up being even slower than the pure software version we have now.

>It will never render at above native resolutions
Neither will a real N64. The people clinging to this are the reason N64 emulation has improved so little in the past 12 years. The PlayStation scene was similar until the likes of Xebra, Mednafen and Amidog starting appearing.

>> No.2702798

>>2702763
>It's several orders of magnitude more accurate than anything else available, so anyone writing a similar plugin can largely use Angrylion's plugin as a reference.
Yes and no. Hardware accelerated plugins like GLideN64 operate fundamentally differently to software plugins such as Angrylion's. Angrylion's is largely useful as a "how does this look on an N64?" reference. And even then it isn't 100% accurate currently.

>Angrylion's plugin is slow
>Your PC is just too slow to run it. If you had a good enough PC it'd run fine? Admittedly you'd probably need something state of the art from 2025, but still.
That's really beside the point.

>It will never render at above native resolutions
>Neither will a real N64. The people clinging to this are the reason N64 emulation has improved so little in the past 12 years.

N64 emulation is improving at a steady rate. If you want unplayably slow software emulation, you can pair PJ64 with Angrylion's. But if you want acceptably accurate hardware accelerated N64 emulation, GLideN64 is the future.

>> No.2702812

>>2702798
Us folks who just wanted an accurate, reliable and bug free way to play N64 games decided to ditch N64 long ago and get ourselves a real N64 and a shilldrive64.

>> No.2703792

>>2702812
>long ago
>shilldrive64
No, that would have been a v64 or something of the sort if it was "long ago" sport

>> No.2706470

>>2702763
>Neither will a real N64

While the whole exchange about the behind-the-scenes stuff is highly interesting, I just want to chime in and say, I have no interest in perfect visual emulation, at all. My PSP/1 emulators run at HD resolution (1440x1080 if 4:3). When these games used textured polygons, the logical viewport is unrelated to output resolution (include 2D graphics, which often use pixel-accurate mechanism), so I see no reason to intentionally stick to a lower output resolution except for "accuracy".
Thing is, I never had an N64, or PS, or whatever. I never played these games on the original hardware or a CRT, and the hardware I have right now, simply enables higher resolution and stuff. I would want accurate emulation of the logic, sure; that's where the game lies, and speed, timing or plain lack of accuracy can ruin games badly there. Resolution though? That's just an artifact, to me, at least when it comes to polygonal games.
You could say I'm more interested in playing the game looking as good as it can, instead of replication, because lacking the historic context, replication is meaningless to me.

tl;dr: While I appreciate accurate visual emulation, I do not think it's fair to make it the sole acceptable goal of emulation.

>> No.2706474

>>2706470
>include 2D graphics
meant "unlike 2D graphics"

>> No.2706484

>>2702763
>Your PC is just too slow to run it. If you had a good enough PC it'd run fine? Admittedly you'd probably need something state of the art from 2025, but still.
work on your fucking code

nobody wants to read this nonsense

>> No.2706525

Where is it that /vr/ buys their bootleg everdrive's anyways? Or does everyone here actually shell out $135? I don't have any problem seeing the value there, but I have a hard time trusting the longterm durability enough to invest that much.

>> No.2708707

>>2706525
Nowhere, because they don't exist. Krikzz sells the bit to people who assemble them in China. Kids say everything that comes from China is a knockoff.

Posted from my Made in China iPhone