[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 220 KB, 543x616, ptbqMalaFElMtOZ.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2695414 No.2695414 [Reply] [Original]

for christ's sake

>> No.2695424

Duck Hunt

>> No.2695429

pac-man on atari 2600. i was always surprised how they had no interest in playing the NES they bought us when it was relatively new. =/

>> No.2695434

Mom only played Tetris.
Dad only played Space Invaders and the Adventures of Lolo games. He went though a Tiger Woods phase for like 6 months cause all the guys at his work would bet on it but that's not /vr/

>> No.2695436
File: 353 KB, 1396x1381, latest.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2695414
I bought this for my Dad's birthday.
Still the only game I've ever seen him play

>> No.2695437

My mom used to play bomberman on the gamrboy

>> No.2695438
File: 27 KB, 254x250, SCES-02014.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2695414
>>2695436
And my mum still brags about beating this

>> No.2695439

FreeCell is retro, right?

Now she plays 3 versions of Candy Crush, it's a damn shame.

>> No.2695441

Dad loved Sega Bass Fishing.

>> No.2695460

My is cool mom, he use to play:
Crash Bandicoot 2
Super Mario 3
Pokémon Trading Game (Game Boy)
and
Dragon Crystal

>> No.2695465

>>2695429
That's kind of like how there plenty of people on here who have no interest in PS4 or XBone.

>> No.2695469
File: 10 KB, 280x233, 288194-blasto_004.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

one time when i little, i had this massive freaking flu virus out of nowhere. for the few hours a day i wasnt in complete pain my mom would play the kirby's nightmare in dreamland mini games like bomb rally with me.

my mom also came with me to pick up my PVM

Shes never actively played anything besides tetris, but she really understands my hobbies. I couldnt have a better mom.

my dad on the other hand would be playing ps1 games all the time. Crash bandicoot and spyro, megaman 8 and legends and probably the hardest he had to play was blasto. doesnt really delve into anything anymore though

>> No.2695476

My dad:
Medal of honor
Football Games
Racing
My mom:
Variations of Pacman
Maybe another old school Namco game

>> No.2695480

ssx tricky for the gamecube.

what the fuck dad

>> No.2695484

Both of my parents would play Tetris. My mom would also play Sonic 2 sometimes and my dad would play Dr. Mario and Bugs Bunny's Crazy Castle. He's beaten Crazy Castle several times.

>> No.2695485
File: 150 KB, 640x350, nels_anderson_mahjongg_big.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

That mahjongg and every solitaire available with Windows... Despite being always at the desk next to mine for more than a decade when I was playing, that's all he did. He was entertained listening to me playing Monkey Island 3 though.

>> No.2695492

>>2695414
Tetris for GB
Alpha Centauri
Civ III / IV
Banished
Final Fantasy VII, X and XII

not all retro, but those are the games my dad is playing/has played.

>> No.2695501

my mom hated video games as part of her wacky born again hijinx but I got her to play tetris a few times. she really got into it but the HORRIBLE SHAME of playing the devil's own falling block game hit her after a few days of fun and she never played it again. I got her to try smb1 exactly once... she walked into a goomba immediately with a rapt smile on her face and then ragequit forever and threw the controller on the ground like a brat

my dad liked warcraft, doom, descent, and panzer general. when he was going to be doing something boring at work for a few weeks, he borrowed my gameboy and played through metroid 2 there. every day he'd come home and ask me a question or want to see a map. I was so proud of him. he liked to watch me play games. he'd follow the story on rpgs and try to help me solve difficult levels in platformers. he also liked gradius and contra and mario kart but they were too hard for him

I think the games he liked to watch the most were earthbound and final fantasy 7 (the latter mostly for the newfangled rendered graphics) and twisted metal. he was really into games with 3d rendered or polygon graphics when they were new... he basically forced me to rent star fox for that reason

he watched cartoons with me on the weekends. reboot was his favorite (because graphics) and if I remember right he liked freakazoid and the tick so much that he'd tape them. my mom mocked him ruthlessly for spending time with his children and getting involved in our interests, not sure what her damage was

>> No.2695506
File: 1016 KB, 1000x691, 309885-pokemon_snap_01[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

My mom loved Pokémon Snap back in the day and every now and then she still brings it up.

>> No.2695510
File: 12 KB, 320x200, bumpy.1.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

My mom, bless her soul, and my aunt used to love the ever living crap out of Bumpy. They had a notebook with all the passwords for all the stages and replaying the game like a million times.

She could probably beat it faster than I could.

>> No.2695604
File: 83 KB, 640x472, gfs_13687_2_1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

apparently it was an extra incentive to get us to bed, so they could play against each other for hours.

>> No.2695605

Goldeneye. He played it more than I did.

>> No.2695616

My father was an asshole who believed everything even remotely associated with computers was American, therefore capitalist therefore the work of the devil, so he never played videogames, not even freecell or solitaire, in hindsight he probably was very disappointed by me playing videogames.

My mother is totally based though, we used to watch anime and play stuff like Commander Keen, Worms and Pushover together, she also bought me a lot of great vidya when I was little.
Even now she pops up Dosbox on her laptop to play some old ass games when Pinball or Sudoku don't cut it.

>> No.2695618

>>2695616
>My father was an asshole who believed everything even remotely associated with computers was American, therefore capitalist therefore the work of the devil, so he never played videogames, not even freecell or solitaire, in hindsight he probably was very disappointed by me playing videogames.

He does sound like an asshole. What was his problem, communism?

>> No.2695625

>>2695618
>What was his problem, communism?

Not quite, my mother's a commie too but she's not a huge closeminded cunt, he was one of those extremist assholes who truly put their heart and souls into what their political parties and intelligentsia say.
Good thing they weren't married.

>> No.2695653

My mum and her sisters were into Super Nintendo. They introduced me to the console and played each of the games they had with me.

The games we played were:
>DKC1, 2 and 3
>Mario All stars
>Prehistoric man
>Mario Kart
>Bomberman
>Mortal Kombat
>Super Adventure Island
>A slew of other titles I can't remember.

On other consoles, which were the N64 and Sega MegaDrive, we also played:
>Mario Kart
>SSMB
>Yoshi Story
>Kirby and the Crystal Shards
>Mario 64
>Pokemon Puzzle League
>Pokemon Stadium
>Pokemon Snap
>DK64

>> No.2695663

My mom thinks video games are for losers, and the only games my dad ever played were Pong when it first came out, and Joust in the arcades, which he became really fucking good at, and still sometimes plays on the MAME that I set up for him.

>> No.2695668
File: 123 KB, 640x480, th_super-monaco-grand-prix-w-m2-rev-01-003[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

He was quite good at it, but got bored easily.

>> No.2695685

My mother and father played Tetris on DOS. My mother apperently really loved it and even missed out on some partys.

Later on she help my brother and me to beat Obelix on the GB.

>> No.2696243
File: 102 KB, 320x224, mileena2.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2695414
My mom mained Mileena in MK2. No joke. She would even do her fatality if she beat you, yelling "Go Mileena! Eat him up and spit out his bones!"

She's also played every Pokemon up to Black 2 and sunk over a thousand hours into the various Animal Crossings.

Never cared for Dr Mario though.

>> No.2696249
File: 84 KB, 640x645, yoshies cookie.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

My mum liked this, my dad never played games.

She likes Candy Crush now.

>> No.2696250

>>2695439
I know it has ads and similar bullshit, but Candy Crush at it's heart is a pretty creative Panel De Pon type puzzler. It's a much better game than Freecell which is fundamentally pretty shitty.

>> No.2696262
File: 380 KB, 745x750, gb_vegas_stakes_p_br09x9.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

pops was good at it too

>> No.2696312

my mom played ps1 games all the time. spyro, crash, tomb raider, heart of darkness, rayman, klonoa, tomba, final fantasy ix, megaman legends.. granted, she only actually 100%ed few of these games, but still.

she used to play ps2, ps3 and ds games as well. now she only plays fb games

my dad never really played games except for Tekken 3 and D/Generation

>> No.2696342
File: 482 KB, 505x450, EA Sega Cart.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2695414
This is the only thing my dad ever played, ever. He has occasionally played a couple rounds of various shooters now and then, but B.O.B. was the only thing he played every day after work for about three weeks solid.

My mom would get progressively more pissed off as time went on. he'd get home, and we'd play and eat snacks, hunched over the shitty tv in my room, having a ball. It got worse and worse...she somehow "accidentally" knocked the game into a full sink while doing dishes. never mind how the hell it got there, it somehow still worked when we dried it off.

So one day, i came home from a friend, and found my dad, head in his hands, looking broken. I asked him what happened. He said that, somehow, he managed to get the game to start with infinite ammo and lives. He proceeded to power through the game like a chainsaw. My mom was yelling for him to take out the trash, he was about 4-5 levels from the end, so he told her to wait. she charged back, screamed at him, then ripped out the cartridge.

this was in the days before internet, we didn't figure out the cheat until 14 years later. my dad never played anything ever again. suckked pretty bad.

>> No.2696402

>>2696342
Your mom sounds horrible.

>> No.2696510

>>2696402
...yeah. She is very much the type to blame video games for basically everything. It wasn't that i was autistic or had panic disorder, no, everything was due to games. To be fair, my dad was/is a raging alcoholic, so it's not as if he was a saint, but it was one of the few times we were able to kinda bond over stuff.

Part of the reason for my /vr/ love is due to her militant anti-game attitude and growing up very poor. Making up for lost time and all that, i suppose.

My dad would like to watch games more then play them. I was playing fallout 2 once, and my dad started watching. he then said "hey, can you shoot that guy?". I then purged new reno of life while he laughed his ass off.

Also, while playing Oblivion and hunting around for sub-quests, dad asked what the hell i was doing. I explained and he then watched for a bit. he then points at the screen, and says "go help that guy...he looks like a weenie, I bet he has treasure."

He was right, and I have yet to see him proven wrong in any RPG.

>> No.2696513
File: 1.11 MB, 400x307, 1442140404325.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Dad was never big on vidya, he didn't like me or my brothers playing violent games, like Doom, Starcraft, or Diablo.
Shit, he was upset when he found out I was playing Goldeneye.

I was playing Doom and he wondered why I couldn't solve my differences without violence, as if I was fighting hell over a border dispute or resources, or they were communists, they are evil manifest as flesh, it's what they do, it's like trying to talk down the common cold, it's not on your ass because of politics, it's just what a virus does.

He shows concern over me and my brother liking violent games and rock music (this is a guy who grew up with The Rolling Stones, yet had a shitfit when my brother listened to Guns & Roses).

He also paniced when he learned I liked guns, and thought I was gonna go kill people, meanwhile, he's a hunter and did army service during the cold war (and to use /k/ parlance, he's the biggest fudd, thinks black rifles are only for murdering and MASSIVELY overestimates the difficulty of shooting handguns, because he pretty much only has experience with rifles)

Anyway, he played Blades Of Steel, would sometimes play with him, but I never liked sports much. He also played Space Cadet pinball on Windows computers, which I quite fancied himself.

He's grown SOME as a person, but he can be really unreasonable to talk to.

>> No.2696514
File: 1.79 MB, 2100x1534, Super-mario-Kart.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Dad used to play alot of SMK with both me and my sister, I can still remember him having a hard time making turns and swearing to us that driving a real car was a lot easier haha.

>> No.2696560

None. Literally none. Aside from 1 single round of Street Fighter II when I was 8 that my dad played with me, my parents have never played video games.

>> No.2696589

>>2695414
Depends.

Dad made a pong machine.
parents would occasionally play super nintendo with my brother and I.
We played Wace Race Blue storm a few times together as a family.
Mom like to play puzzle bobble and tetris, and sudoku when we got brain age on ds
We have played mario party occasionally as well.
We played a lot Nintendoland, and Wii sports when they came out.

They're cool, but then again, they also get a huge kick out ofplaying yahtzee

>> No.2696601

>>2695414
My mom played Tetris, Zelda (only the 2D games though, 3D gave her motion sickness), and some arcade ports. Dad played Mario. Stepfather used to play a variety of things, though today he pretty much just plays Mario.

>> No.2696607

>>2696601
Oh, and they all played the first three Mortal Kombat games.

>> No.2696675

>>2695480
dad sounds chill as fuck

>> No.2696717
File: 155 KB, 640x896, 21632_front.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I grew up on my Dad's Genesis. Almost every night before I started preschool I'd pick out a game and he'd play it until he eventually got a game over. If not that then I'd sit on his lap and watch him play Diablo. Nowadays his gaming is mainly World of Tanks and continuing to clock hundreds of hours across the Civilization series.

Mom doesn't play games. She's the least competitive person I know. I did manage to get her to play through pic related and at one point she wouldn't stop playing Might and Magic 6 and 7.

>> No.2696717,1 [INTERNAL] 

>>2696312
my mom is of the "video games are bad for children" crowd but she saw how much I loved Heart of Darkness and despite the game being known for how difficult and "die & retry" it can be for people she learned how to play it probably better than most people just so she could relate to me more. For some reason she tolerates artsy 2D games but HATES 3D games for their 'violence'. I dunno. My mom is weird.

>> No.2696742
File: 20 KB, 283x178, pacman.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

my mom freaked out getting chased by ghosts.

>> No.2696750

>>2696742
and my dad has a billion hours in farmtown even though i tried to get him to play something else.

>> No.2696757
File: 69 KB, 700x393, Columns-Sega-Mega-Drive.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

What is it about parents and puzzle games?

>> No.2696779

>>2696757
Less abstractions, kids can deal with more bullshit stuff like 'story', and 'plot'. These guys just wanted something that had more thought than TV but less thought than reading, and so puzzlers worked out well.

My dad loves the crap out of Golf, my mom was big into some weird Haunted mansion PS2 game and used to be huge on Centipede. Now she primarily plays Candy Crush variants, my dad is an online poker shark, making eastern europeans give up their pennies.

>> No.2696780
File: 78 KB, 700x782, Dr_Mario_cart.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2695414
I've seen the ending just because of her.

>> No.2696784

>>2695429

yes and no, because i fall under that category of no ps4 and that... but may parents were at least trying and playing the atari just 3-4 years earlier, but it was if they were intimidated by the NES controller or something and would just pass on playing. i guess they had more important shit to do like keep food on the table, so i'm not really complaining... but still it seemed odd and this thread made me think about it.

>> No.2696998

>>2696514
>>2696249
>>2695414
My mom loved all these games but her favorite was pic related. She used to steal the gameboy from me and play it all night. I remember she could speed run Super Mario land in under an hour
>fuckinwat.jpeg

>> No.2697001
File: 254 KB, 1023x996, mariolandgb.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2696998
forgot pic

>> No.2697063

>mom
Not /vr/ but only game i ever seen her play was bejeweled3
>dad
We went thru a sms phase. After Burner, and Super Hang On. He bought us the genesis. Whoa look at that, he never played it once

>> No.2697071

>>2696780
same

>> No.2697083

>>2696342
Baced B.O.B.

>> No.2697121

>>2695414
You posted it, op. My dad played Dr. Mario all the time on the super gameboy.

Some times I would get him to play Battletoads or Turtles in time whenever I got to rent it, but that was it.

>> No.2697197

My Mother never played anything regularly after I was born, with or without me. My Father supposedly like Robotron, but most of the time the only game he actually played was Project Gotham

>> No.2697225

Legend has it that my father, technophobic by nature, once played Super Mario on the NES when they stayed at his sister's house during a blizzard.

>> No.2697243

My dad really like Super Metroid. It's kind of pathetic, but I think the only reason why I'm exceptionally good at that game is that a part of me thought I'd win his approval if I was really great at that game.

>> No.2697252
File: 57 KB, 640x467, F1WorldGrandPrix.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2695414
My dad was and still is a big F1 fan, and I remember buying him this at some point as a gift, thinking maybe that would get him to try gaming. Never saw him ever play it.

Now I'm paranoid and trying to remember if he ever even knew it was supposed to be a game bought for him.

>> No.2697276
File: 31 KB, 364x322, 404_thumb[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2695414
>mom would play super mario 64, goldeneye (her fave) and percfect dark a lot. she also loved extreme G and Bomberman2 on snes.

RIP mom.

>> No.2697339

Tetris
Doom
Sokoban
Solitarie and other windows games

>> No.2697389

My dad and Galaga. He bought a PS2 back in 2006 because he found a Namco compilation game for $20 but he only ever played Galaga and sometimes Pac-Man.

Not really retro but once I had my DSi with Dr. Mario Express and my cousin who doesn't play video games asked to play and was hooked. She played for like 5 hours straight once.

>> No.2697390

my mom loved the Adventures of Lolo games

>> No.2697840

>>2695414
My mom played this as well but on Super Nintendo.

I played pretty much all the Super Nintendo and late 90s/early 00s PC games with him. Was pretty awesome, he doesn´t play anymore tho.

>> No.2697867

Aside from the usual suspects (Tetris & Dr. Mario), my Mom used to play Total Annihilation, no joke. She only ever played on one map (Metal Heck) with the same settings (vs 3 AIs FFA) over and over, but she was pretty decent at it. Showed her some other RTS' over the years, but she never got into any others.

Mainly just plays phone puzzle games now.

>> No.2697920

Only games I saw my dad play were Day of the Tentacle and Doom.

My mother dabbled in Frogger on the PS1 and would slap my controller out of my hand if I was beating her.

>> No.2697951

Me and my mum used to play Bubble Bobble together and Puzzle Bobble

god rest her soul ;_;

>> No.2698280

>>2695653
>SSMB

What's that stand for? I know you're not talking about Smash Bros Melee.

>> No.2698374
File: 112 KB, 424x565, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2695414
My grandma was a fan of the nes version of Dr. Mario and Tetris. She's pretty much mastered Dr. Mario and now only plays solitaire.
She was also a fan of pic related.

My mom doesn't lie video games, but her sister used to enjoy the Zelda games.
My dad used to be good at Pac-Man and had memorized the routes. He liked Madden games on the genesis, and NBA Jam. He played Quake as well. He doesn't play much games anymore, but did enjoy Mafia II.

>> No.2699423

I remember my dad playing a lot of duck hunt on the nes and some racing games here and there.

My favorite though was after we got a PC in the win 95 days. He would play Hearts all the time and would swear up and down that the computer was learning and would make more intelligent decisions the longer he played. I never tried to argue that because I thought it was hilarious.

>> No.2699538

>>2696342

damn, bro. sorry to hear that vidya ruined your parent's marriage.

>> No.2699541

>>2695424
This. Although prior to Duck Hunt he was really into Zaxxon and actually really good at it.

>> No.2699551
File: 236 KB, 1453x857, WildArms.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

My brother somehow convinced our grandfather to play a couple of the Wild Arms games because of the Western elements of it. He was a major fan of Westerns.

I had to help figure some shit out and be a back seat driver (he was already well into his 70s at the time and this was his first video game) because my brother gave up with that. But my granfather genuinely did enjoy Wild Arms 3. Though I think it might have been that we were doing something together than anything else.

It was only a few months after we beat it that he got dementia and we lost him to cancer a year later. I still have that game and won't sell it for anything in the world now. It's basically the last memory I have of him before he faded.

>> No.2699560
File: 152 KB, 1024x768, virginia-maxwell-1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2699551
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akQmH0FOslc

>> No.2699615
File: 15 KB, 192x263, golf.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2695414
this and some old fishing game
dont think he liked playing, just tried to bond with me. goddamn i miss him

>> No.2699618

>>2695501
I'm sorrry your mom was such a bitch, but at least you had one parent who really went out of his way to connect with you. I'd have killed for my mom or dad to watch cartoons with me even once.

>> No.2699651

>>2696780
>>2697071
There's an ending to Dr Mario?! News to me!

>> No.2699657

My dad and his friends were really into Civilization on DOS.

My mom never played vidya, but she would get into watching me play Sanic.

>> No.2699659
File: 93 KB, 493x638, 2332423434.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The only video games my dad ever played.

He was really good, finished the first TC lots of times including hidden ways and shit.

We used to play Project Titan later, the day I got a higher accuracy score than him, he got buttblasted and never played again.

>> No.2699664

>>2699651
This.
I played the shit out of this game but never saw an ending.

>> No.2701667

My mom used to play the first Zelda and Startropics with my brother in the 80's. When we got a Game Boy Color, she played the shit out of Link's Awakening DX, and when we got a 64 she 100% Ocarina of Time.

I haven't seen her play a real game since OoT.

>> No.2701963

Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario World
Sonic 2
Bomberman
Donkey Kong Country 1-3
Any game show game
Yoshi's Island
Yoshi's Story

...And probably a lot I'm forgetting. My parents actually played a lot of video games with me, now that I look back on it.

My Dad was so into Super Mario World that he'd bet money with his friends on who could get the highest score. He usually won.

>> No.2702113

>>2701667
>a real game

So basically, she still plays games, just not ones you approve of?

>> No.2702126
File: 151 KB, 256x311, Cabela's_Big_Game_Hunter_III_Coverart.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Aside from pinball, Cabella's Big Game Hunter and Links golf on Win95 were the only games we could get him to play.
I guess card games on the computer too like Cribbage but I don't really count that.

Mom would get motion sickness just watching so she never played anything

>> No.2702192

Dad loved Golf (NES) along with Punch-Out!! and Legend of Zelda. Mom never understood

>> No.2702228

My dad would play Mortal Kombat 3 and Smash Bros with me mostly, but left to his own devices he'd usually just play Gran Turismo 2 or Microsoft Flight Simulator.

My mom only ever played Donkey Kong for Colecovision. And Brain Age

>> No.2702236

Neat thread OP. they only like the most basic of games
>mom
tetris
dr mario (played it once and called it a tetris rip off)
mahjong

>dad
duck hunt
solitaire

>> No.2702237
File: 14 KB, 256x224, 328457-taz-mania-snes-screenshot-level-complete.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

My mom enjoyed this game and Bubble Bobble.

She was also inexplicably able to defeat Dark Link in one attempt despite never having played the game before, after watching my brother and I fail several times.

>> No.2702247

>>2702236
I also want to mention they used dial up until 2 years ago when it could no longer stay connected for more than 1 hour at a time.

We got them both smart phones with a 2 gig data plan which my father uses to download a gun catalog PDF once a month which is no more than 3 MB.