[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 30 KB, 250x193, XIyNHhm.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2691443 No.2691443 [Reply] [Original]

I don't get it. What's the point? Why do you feel compelled to break games? Doesn't it rob you of any and all enjoyment of them?

Like, take this dude: >>2691365. He's feeling obligated to maximize his Sim City population, and by doing that he's killing his own fun. Maximizing your population is not even a gameplay goal. Or take guys to minmax RPGs. Take completionists too while I'm at. What's the point? Where's the fun in that?

>> No.2691445

>>2691443
As an addendum:

Are you mentally sick?

>> No.2691450

Autism

>> No.2691463

Different people find enjoyment in different things, who would have ever thought that would be the case

>> No.2691479
File: 1.52 MB, 1065x902, 1421557510809.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2691443
>There's only one way to play videogames guys
>If you dare do anything that goes beyond that you might have brain problems you know
>Just like, comboing in SF, the designers didn't intentionally create that feature, why do you do have to take out all the fun in the game guys

So you're one of those faggots who only built his Lego kits following meticulously the instruction booklet all the time and never did anything else with all them sweet pieces?

And you ask others if they're mentally sick?

>> No.2691482

How is this specific to retro games?

>> No.2691483

>>2691443
OCD if you are urged to do something that doesnt feel right. any other way to play its just enjoying the game

>> No.2691486

>>2691483
forgot to add; breaking a game is actually a thing in speedrunning. trying to find glitches for the best 100%/any% runs

>> No.2691496

solving that puzzle is fun

I like breaking the game because it makes me feel like I myself have a skilled intellect or something, rather than just vicariously proceeding through the canned and scripted events the developer set up for me

>> No.2691576

This is not even throwing your fishing pole into the water.

This is like jumping into the water flailing your arms around screaming HEY FISHY FISHIES HEEEY

>> No.2691667
File: 7 KB, 468x286, consider_girl.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2691483
OCD isn't typically general compulsion to correct anything that one doesn't like. "Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder" is hypenated because it covers two main areas of behavior: obsession and/OR compulsions; the two shouldn't immediately be assumed to happened together (ie. don't believe that OCD means someone is compelled to obsess over something). Anyway, people with OCD tend to have a few specific obsessions and/or compulsions, though people with severe forms of the disorder can show multiple such behaviors. There's also the issue of possible co-morbidity, which is the event in which someone displays behavior indicative of suffering multiple simultaneous disorders (and some disorders are statistically more likely to be present together in such cases), which may make it more difficult to correctly diagnose an individual without further observation.

To learn more, refer to the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fifth Edition (but please do not try to diagnose someone unless you're a trained mental health professional, as it's easy to misidentify or mis-attribute symptoms).

>> No.2691682

>>2691443
ur a trolling faggot

>> No.2691683

>>2691667
To add: mental disorders are typically classified by the type of treatment that is required; OCD covers both obsessive and compulsive behavioral disorders because the same treatment regimen happens to correct either of them. In contrast, there's an ongoing debate on whether or not Dissociative Identity Disorder (incorrectly known as "Multiple Personality Disorder", colloquially) should be its own disorder, as there is some evidence to suggest that it may actually be a special form of--and therefore can be treated in the same manner as--Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. For instance, there is a surprisingly high correlation between people suffering from DID and having suffered from child abuse. Also, DID is not necessarily the presentation of distinct, separate personalities--it also encompasses behavior in which someone's general personality drastically and markedly changes (provided such behavioral changes are not already linked to other causes, of course).

>> No.2691690
File: 110 KB, 350x377, stop_liking.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2691443

>> No.2691695

i too am a robot seeking to understand basic human behavior

>> No.2691698

>>2691695
>i too am a robot
H-how did you get past the captcha?

>> No.2691704

>>2691443
With some games it makes them more fun. Most games are best played straight and are the most fun that way. Final Fantasy II is a perfect example. Great if you actually play it, terrible and boring if you break the system.

But also some games, like Twisted Metal 2 are just so much fun with full cheats, that it actually makes the game more entertaining.

Both can be fun, but it doesn't matter. Either way, only a loser worries about how some other schmuck is playing their games in the first place.

>> No.2691705
File: 38 KB, 753x543, 1434652721622.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2691443
You never came up with any crazy tasks to complete after already playing a game to hell and back just to see if you can actually pull it off?

>> No.2691715

>>2691443
>>2691365

That's me who posted that! Honestly, I don't usually try to break games, even open-ended ones, it's just the Simcity series that gets me. I'm horrible at being creative, and I find it even harder to be creative with my building when I know that I'm directly harming the efficiency and overall success of the city in doing so. There's no goal in Simcity other than to build a successful city, and the population counter is the most obvious indicator of the city's success. Why would I build a less successful city, if I know exactly how to build the most successful city?

>> No.2691752

>>2691443
>He's feeling obligated to maximize his Sim City population, and by doing that he's killing his own fun. Maximizing your population is not even a gameplay goal.

I remember you. Sad that you still don't get it. Go play SimCity however you want, but what fun is it to make a city of 30k and just watch it sit there and stagnate? The whole goal, whether you want to believe it or not, is to improve it and make it grow. Otherwise you might as well just buy a plant and sit and stare at it.

>> No.2691797

>>2691443
You're attempting to argue that the set goals and expectations, limits, inhibitions, introduced by the devs, wittingly or otherwise, for the title, should be adhered to, to the point of reverence. And that they should know, understand, better than yourself, in which ways you are capable or allowed to enjoy yourself, with regard to their title, or the hobby in general? Why do engineers break machines down? Why do astronomers gaze at the stars? To break the universe down son. It's just, the effort is but a mental excercise, with vidya, and no real harm is done.

Leave my /vr/.

>> No.2691871

>>2691443
It's a natural extension of improving yourself in a game.

At first, you sit down and play a game, and there's tons of wonder and mystery in what you're doing and how you're doing it, and you're discovering things on your own. Little by little, you learn more efficient ways to do things, and improve your skill. After a while, you continue to hone your skill because you know you can still do better, long after the point where you're as good as you needed to be to beat the game.

You then proceed to think on every process you've done in the game and devise ways to optimize everything. You know you can shave 3 seconds off of your castle age advancements in Age of Empires by hawkishly watching several build queues, you'll grind for hours to get +5 to a stat even though it only has a marginal effect on your damage, and you'll math out perfect compositions to your team to ensure that you roll with the highest advantage possible.

The problem isn't with a player seeking to improve like that, the problem is the game itself includes these avenues of advancement yet makes them too simple to achieve. Games like Quake provide a very high skill ceiling and opponents that such skills would be useful against, high enough that nearly everybody can continually improve without feeling like they've "wasted" their time.

>> No.2691882

>>2691715
I have that trouble in open-ended games. Like, if you give me a pile of legos, I have to have an objective to assemble them -- I can't just build something aesthetically pleasing because it doesn't "serve" (Or would serve, if it were real) a mechanical purpose. Without a need, I can't bring myself to design, and without purpose, I cannot bring myself to build.

>> No.2692248
File: 8 KB, 160x154, download (1).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2691667
>>2691683

https://m.youtube.com/watch?>>2691683v=iyu04pqC8lE

>> No.2692278

I know back in the day we would try to do stuff like that simply because we couldn't just go out and get a new game as soon as we were done with our current one. I usually got one game for my birthday and one for Christmas and only a small handful of rentals in between, so you bet your ass I tried to find every hidden secret/sequence break/glitch/etc.

Maybe he still has that mentality or just plain enjoys pushing the boundaries of his game.

>> No.2692328

>>2691443
>why do you play games as the developers originally intended
Because I'm not a casual underage emufag

>> No.2692336

>>2691443
Do you legit suffer from autism?

I'm not memeing you right now. I'm asking you because it should be clear at this point in your life that people like different things. I would've hoped you would have learned this at the age of 10, but here we are.

>> No.2692368

>>2692336
I think OP is thinking too much of the "I ACTUALLY PLAY TIC TAC TOE FOR FUN" pic when in reality it's nothing like that since they're not even cheating and even if they were that's all on them since they're not taking the fun out of any other player.

>> No.2692668

>>2692328
>fag

Take your hateful speech back to /v/.

>> No.2692687

>>2692668
0/troll or under/age

>> No.2695707

Skimming all your answers, I think >>2691450
was pretty much spot on.

Thanks for the input!