[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 385 KB, 407x494, Baldur's_Gate_box.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2688454 No.2688454 [Reply] [Original]

How are clerics in Baldur's Gate? I've been considering replacing Jaheira with a cleric like Branwen, but since that also means I will have to find a replacement for Khalid I feel it would be unwise unless clerics are superior to druids.

>> No.2688460

>>2688454
>that also means I will have to find a replacement for Khalid
Or you could just kill Jaheira and keep Khalid.

>> No.2688634

>>2688454
>How are clerics in Baldur's Gate?
Good.

>> No.2688668

>>2688454
Fantastic, though mage/clerics are even better

>> No.2688691
File: 28 KB, 380x430, what's your worry.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2688454
There's nothing at all wrong with having two priests. There wouldn't be even if wasn't that kind of situation where they're both more than fine in the melee and use different weapons.

>> No.2689461

In general, there's little advantage to Druids in Baldur's Gate 1. Unlike in IWD, they don't get a lot of cool spells or Druid-specific equipment - there are no good Spears, for instance, and the best magical scimitars are the ones you gain from pure cheese (one you can get stolen from Drizzt, the other you can pick off his dead body). The only thing, AFAIK, that druids can do, is learning level 5 spells, but in vanilla BG1, that's only Cure Critical Wounds.

Jaheira, as such, is a competent fighter with some support magic spells. Contrary to popular opinion, a fighter doesn't need high Strength at all times, especially in BG1 - she can make use of the Fighter-only +str boosting potions to keep her competitive in big fights, and against trash mobs it's not much of a difference.

Druids don't get access to some of the best divine spells, though. No Draw Upon Holy Might or Chant, for instance; in fact, the level 2 Druid spellbook is utterly trash in BG1.

In BG1, Khalid is definitely the stronger of the pair, and he can be turned both into a solid meleer (just supply him with +str potions, Strength spell and later Gauntlets of Ogre Strength) or a great archer (just max out his bow skill). It might be advisable to replace Jaheira with Branwen, Yeslick (he is awesome, but a latecomer) or even Viconia. However, Jaheira is good enough to finish the game and be a valuable asset with support.

In BG2, Jaheira gets a stats overhaul which makes her one of the stronger characters in the game by filling the niche of one of the best tanks in the game.

Overall Clerics are vital. They're convenient for being portable healpacks and with their own buffs, some of them self-only, they might outstrip pure Fighters on the frontline.

>> No.2690249

>>2688668
Yes, Aerie in BG2 is superb. Feels like BG1 is too low level to make use of multispecs though.

>>2689461
I see, I suppose there are some benefits to keeping Jaheira in your company then assuming you might be in need of some melee? As it stands now my party is filled to the brim with melee characters (Minsc, Khalid, Imoen who doubles as an archer, and my paladin protagonist) so maybe replacing Jaheira with Branwen would be wise since I'm low on spell casters. However, it would pain me to lose Khalid in the process, whom I wish to make an archer of. Are there any companions that would serve as a good replacement for Khalid, assuming I switch Jaheira for Branwen and I need someone who can fill the same role as Khalid? Hypothetically I could kill Jaheira and in doing so keep Khalid in the party like mentioned earlier in this thread, but since I'm playing a lawful good character that feels somewhat out of character.

Right now my party is my paladin, Imoen, Jaheira, Khalid, Minsc, and Dynaheir.

>> No.2690265

>>2690249
I would probably agree given some testing, though in its merit my mage/cleric in IWD was very useful early on, pretty much the entire game. Not sure how BG1 is balanced though, been years since I've ran through it.

>> No.2690978

>>2690249
>Feels like BG1 is too low level to make use of multispecs though.

But in BG1 they only lose like 1 or 2 levels! And they still get to use the gobs of wands that are there.

Oh, BTW, y'all do know, you can recharge those wands by selling and buying them back, right?

>> No.2691021

Any good paladin kit mod?

>> No.2691042

>>2688454
clerics are better than druids in BG 1 & 2,

I believe that Branwen also has more wisdom, as does Yeslick(but you don't have access to him till chapter 4 iirc), Viconia is an option also.

>> No.2691890

>>2691021
That one with double-level dispel.

>> No.2691901

>>2691021
>Any good paladin kit mod?
any are good, Inquisitor is best(maybe even too powerful)

>>2691890
don't forget the near incredibly short casting time also.

>> No.2691916

>>2691901
>inquisitor
this, they can solo the game with relative ease. Even kill that nasty dragon in 2

>> No.2692647

I finally decided to switch Jaheira for Branwen and Khalid for Coren, so now I have a good archer as well.

With a shield and a plate armor and some cleric buffs Branwen also becomes quite the proficient fighter.

>> No.2695002

>>2691021
Kit mods are in general really shit for balance. I remember The Darkest Day offering a shitload of dumb kits (they're all utter trash, and most are definitely on the underpowered side; at least the core Beastmaster is interesting enough, while TDD shit is just repulsive), and the Morituri kit is a convoluted mess as well.

Every core paladin kit is great. I like Axe-wielding Cavaliers (they can throw them to make up for the lack of missile weapon proficiencies, and there's great Axes for Good guys in BG), Inquisitor is a staple but Keldorn can fill that niche for you, and Undead Hunter is pretty "neutral", but still better than core Pally (most kits are like that).

>>2692647
Keep in mind that Yeslick > Branwen by far due to Dwarf shorty saves, and Fighter levels.

>>2690249
>Yes, Aerie in BG2 is superb. Feels like BG1 is too low level to make use of multispecs though.

For pure powergaming, there's never a reason to play a pure Thief or pure Cleric; the THAC0 boosts, HP and percentile strength you get from a Fighter multiclass are too strong. Cleric/Thief also gets the strongest backstabs in the game award due to Staff of Striking + buffs + Draw Upon Holy Might combo (can even hit 100+ damage with a backstab in BG1!)

>> No.2695006
File: 459 KB, 640x480, summons.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Yes, Clerics are good. Pic related.

>> No.2695016

>>2695006
Is that an ironman run? That's the kind of preparation I imagine from someone who really doesn't want Belt or Jiia dead.

>> No.2695030

>>2695016
It is a rather old screenshot that I keep as an example of BG 1 engine shenanigans. I believe what happened was that I failed the first time and assumed that if any important NPC died it was over and decided to not let that happen again and go overkill. I've since learned otherwise.

>> No.2695131

>>2695002
i dont really care about balance. I already played a lot of games with the original kits and I just wanna try something different for paladins.Thats why I asked about kit mods... not the vanilla kits.

>> No.2696528

>>2695002
>Cleric/Thief also gets the strongest backstabs in the game award due to Staff of Striking + buffs + Draw Upon Holy Might combo (can even hit 100+ damage with a backstab in BG1!)

That sounds very promising, right now Imoen's backstabs are rather underwhelming with 15 damage (assuming she even hits). Would it be advicable to let Imoen multiclass as cleric/thief? Unfortunately I turned down Yeslicks offer, so if I'd turn Imoen into thief/cleric I'd have Branwen and Imoen has party clerics.

>> No.2696545

>>2696528
what is Imoen's wisdom? iirc it has to be 17 or greater to dual into a cleric.

>> No.2696978

>>2696545
Damn, only eleven. Guess I have to find someone else to try it with.

>> No.2697421

>>2696978
well, there is Tiax who is a multi-classed cleric thief, but you may have to make a character to dual class one

>> No.2697447

>>2690249
>Right now my party is my paladin, Imoen, Jaheira, Khalid, Minsc, and Dynaheir.

Canon party is best party.

>> No.2698038

>>2696528
Imoen was made to be dual-classed to mage.