[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 57 KB, 256x251, Final_Fantasy_Adventure_Front_Cover.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2675962 No.2675962 [Reply] [Original]

How does Final Fantasy Adventure compare to the Final Fantasy Legend series. Better/Worse?

>> No.2675965

Apples and Oranges

>> No.2675967

Adventure is Seiken Densetsu (Mana series), Legend is SaGa series.

Both are good, but different, they only got the Final Fantasy name to make it easier to market in the west.

>> No.2675972

>>2675967
is there any consensus on which of the Legend games is the best

>> No.2675989

>>2675972
FFL2 is considered the best of the GB trilogy because a lot of the issues with levelling up were fixed. The system in 1 only levelled up your mutants based on combat actions. 2 made it so that all character's actions determined stat building. Robots and Monsters though didn't get stat boosts, but Robots stats could be determined by equipment and equipment given to robots' durability is halved but can be restored at an Inn.

FFL3 went back to basic Final Fantasy levelling up.

>> No.2675995

>>2675972
I've rarely seen anybody say 3. I think most people would say that 2 polishes over most of the rough edges of 1 and in that sense is "better" at least from a mechanical perspective, but I personally find the raw charm that oozes from 1 is enough to make it win out.

If you like any of them you will probably like all of them, though.

>> No.2676043

>>2675995
Likewise. FFL2 is objectively more polished, but if I could only have one game from the series it's easily be FFL1. The total lack of detail and narrative nearly forces the imagination into action.

>> No.2676061

>>2675967
Actually only Legend got FF because of fame. Adventure is a legitimate translation because it was dubbed Final Fantasy Gaiden.

>>2675989
Play 1 and 2. If you want more, either get SaGa Frontier or one of the Fan Translated Romancing SaGa games.

>> No.2676130

>>2675962
Final Fantasy Adventure is arguably one of the very best games for the original GB (unless you happen to dislike action RPGs for some reason).

>> No.2676253

>>2675965
This.

Do you like Secret of Mana or Final Fantasy better? There's your answer. For me Legend, but Adevnture was decent.

>> No.2676295
File: 49 KB, 256x255, Ffl_boxfront.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2675962
>>2675972
Five minutes anywhere here will show you here's never consensus on anything. But I personally really, really like the first Final Fantasy Legend. Heavily based because it was the one thing I got with my first Gameboy and it was the first RPG I ever played. It was for a road trip and I played it non-stop.

But I still legit think it's a great game. It's true that your mutant leveling is random and weird, but that never bothered me because I always thought they were supposed to be random. And it sounds worse than it is, their stats and abilities grow randomly but they're always useful. 4 mutants is one of my favorite parties to go through with actually.

But humans and monsters can be great too. Humans are predictable and straight forward. Monsters power kind of varies, they evolve by eating other monster meat and changing into something different. But otherwise they don't really level up. So you eat something really powerful and then as you move forward it becomes less and less as it evens out with the other monsters. Then you eat something great again and he's kicking ass all over the place. You even have a chance of boss meats. Monsters are a lot of fun.

They're all fun, my favorite party is human, mutant, mutant, monster.

It's also got a simple, but really cool little story that works well and has a surprisingly balsy ending for such an old game.

I really like 2 as well, but I don't have the same kind of fondness. They're both very well worth playing though. 3 I'm not a huge fan of. It ditches a lot of the interesting leveling from the other games and is a more just standard RPG. They try for a more robust story, but it makes it fall flat.

I like Adventure as well, but differently. For it's time it was good, but I don't think it holds up as well as the first two Legends. It is better than the GBA remake though in my opinion.

>> No.2676305

I really liked Legend 1, but I played the Wonderswan Color port which polished it up a bit over the gameboy version. Full color sprites and shit.

>> No.2676316

>>2676043
>The total lack of detail and narrative nearly forces the imagination into action.

Also, this. So much.

>> No.2676665

>>2675972
Often Final Fantasy Legend 2. It is my favorite of the three as well. Though just don't play that one only, the first game is worth a play through as well, especially due to their short length.

>> No.2676678

>>2675962

adventure is good historically to understand the Mana series better.

it pulls at your heartstrings more with the sidequests and npcs, and it features the overworld sprite of the Redmage from FF1

>> No.2676696

>>2675962
Adventure is one of my favorite games. You get a completely unique forlorn feeling while playing it, something only greyscale games can accomplish.

>> No.2676731

DOO DOO DOOOOOOO
DOO DOO DOO DOO DOO DOO DOO DOOOOO

;_;

>> No.2676973
File: 67 KB, 500x569, 21019_front.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2675967

Seiken Densetsu is subtitled "Final Fantasy Gaiden" in Japan. Yes, the first game is technically part of the FF canon, and borrows several elements from FF, such as chocobos and moogles.

In case you can't read kana, the subtitle above the kanji near the bottom of the box art reads "Final Fantasy Gaiden"

>> No.2676984

>>2676973
I learned this (probably from you) for the first time on this very board. Blew my mind, having always thought like others that it was renamed in it's English release to cash in on the name.

>> No.2676994
File: 65 KB, 632x424, firion1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2676973
>and borrows several elements from FF, such as chocobos and moogles.
The very sword in the cover art is Firion's sword by the way.

>> No.2677008

>>2675962
this game is the best Zelda on the GB

>> No.2677037

>>2677008
You can't move diagonally, and if Link's Awakening's little speech upon touching a pot annoyed you (It stops after the third dungeon), Mystic Quest's auto-speech-upon-touching-NPC feature (That lasts throughout the whole game, including gigantic speeches by major NPCs) will drive you mad.

Though the weapon selection was pretty cool.

>> No.2677098
File: 35 KB, 571x380, amano-celes1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2676994
>>2676994
Nah, that's a stretch they're both just typical amano swords.

>> No.2677113

>>2677098
>Identical hilt
>Identical face decoration
>Same colours
>Nah, totally not the same sword

Okay, let's say it was a reference and leave it at this.

>> No.2677118

>>2676043
>The total lack of detail and narrative nearly forces the imagination into action.

I don't think it's entirely a lack of detail but an interesting balance the game has between filling in the blanks and leaving it up to you.

The game presents you with a number of interesting situations (Most importantly to me, the false paradise that's just an island, the room full of demons people think they need to endure to reach paradise, and the room full of dead kids) but it doesn't fill you in much about them and leaves you to figure out for yourself why they're there.

Likewise, two of the main worlds are the types of area that could be associated with Paradise at first glance (Island "paradise", city in the clouds) but the characters are also never going WHOA GUYS IS THIS PARADISE or whatever. The first time I played the game (admittedly as a seven-eight year old kid a million years ago) I genuinely thought both of those zones were supposed to be paradise when I first reached them. All of this gave the game a great sense of like "We don't even know what we're looking for, but we know it's something better." and Jesus Christ I just loved that. I thought it was complex and interesting but it was a story told in so little text and that left so much up to your imagination.

I didn't mean to type this much up when I started this post but goddamn guys I seriously love this game so much and can't help gushing about it.

>> No.2677126

>>2677113

At first I was going to say you were full of shit, then I realized that the longest part was the crossguard, not the blade

Then you're pretty much 100% spot on, it's the blood sword.

>> No.2677418

>>2677113
>identical
You have to be joking. They're similar, but not that much.

>> No.2677419

>>2677118
I think you're pretty much nailing everything that has made me love the game for the past 20+ years. The game is a total trip.

>> No.2677512

>>2676696
There is a faithful remake (not the GBA Sword of Mana game which isn't nearly as good) in full color and higher resolution, unfortunately was made for mobile phones and was only released in Japan.

>> No.2677535

>>2677512

Fucking faggots.

They are releasing all the final fantasies on PC, even the bad ports, they should release that shit too.

>> No.2677607

>>2677118
I get what you mean, that's one of the reasons why I like SaGa more than the average JRPG, the narrative is implemented in the gameplay that way, little text and more exposition through gameplay and exploration, observation of particulars in the world and connecting all the pieces of a big puzzle, and the best thing is that every game in the series is like that.
If you haven't played it already I warmly suggest you to play the Metal Max games because they use the same style of narrative and open world exploration like SaGa though the latest games kinda tune it down in favor of a bit more textual information than the early ones, the gameplay's great too with a few nice similarities to the SaGa system albeit not as refined or complex, and unfortunately you have random encounters.
>>2677126
Told you so man.
I was a little mindblown when I realized that.
DEEPEST LORE

>> No.2678107

>>2677535
Final Fantasy games, not Mana or SaGa games.

>> No.2678413

Protip: if you wail on an NPC long enough, they die, but respawn once you re-enter the map. Morning star seems to work best for that.