[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 1.24 MB, 1920x1080, ocarina-of-time_v2vc.jpg.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2669040 No.2669040 [Reply] [Original]

Pic related, Ocarina of Time when I was 12. Felt like playing a fairy tail and dream at the same time. It was also the perfect age to experience it because it was that last and final year of true childhood before adolescence began. I'll never forget it. Replaying it now just doesn't take me back to that first playthrough. I'm nostalgic for that first experience of playing the game rather than the game itself, if that makes sense.

The only time I felt a similar experience again was many, many years later when I played Dark Souls 1 for the first time in my mid twenties. I was shocked that a video game was able to give me that sense of adventure again when I was an adult, especially around a time where I really thought I was growing out of video games.

And the first time I had a similar experience to this was Link's Awakening when I was seven years old on the original Gameboy. I loved it and it was my first Zelda game.

>> No.2669045 [DELETED] 

>OoT

Opinion discarded

>> No.2669047

Are you me OP? I had pretty much the exact same experience with Ocarina and Dark Souls. The Shenmue games and Skies of Arcadia too.

>>2669045
>>>/v/

>> No.2669051

>>2669047
Try out Link's Awakening if you haven't already, you might just love it because I sure do.

Few things are as comfy as playing Link's Awakening on Gameboy in the bedside table light before sleeping.

>> No.2669085
File: 224 KB, 900x552, fffff.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

being 7 at the time of oot. It was alot bigger than the game. The unexplored and unexplorable seemed like infinite. wondering what was behind a fucking sewer grate ffs. The rumors and stories about the epic that was. It was huge. The best game ever made 10/10.

>> No.2669091

>>2669040

I agree with OoT. I'll never forget beating it for the first time. I remember staying up all night to play it. Nothing beats playing through the Bottom of the Well and Shadow Temple in the middle of the night until 4:00 when I'm too tired to play any more.

>> No.2669098

You've convinced me to finally play Dark Souls OP.

And OP, I'd really recommend reading The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings books. Especially LotR, but they're better if you read Hobbit first. I read through them over the past year and it felt like playing OOT again, it got closer to that 'first experience' feeling you described than any other media I've consumed since becoming an adult. It was honestly kind of uncanny how much it reminded me of OOT, to the point where I wondered how well known the books are in Japan and if they could have been an influence. The LotR movies are a totally different experience than the books, so don't just watch those.

As for my most 'magical' game experience, I would say Paper Mario. The entire game just feels so innocent and charming. It was my favorite videogame 'world' growing up, and it just hit all the right beats with me. The humor is probably the best part about it, but there's a lot more to the game than that. To me, other games might get 'fantasy' down, but Paper Mario is the only good 'epic fairytale' that I can think of. It hits that sweet point where the game is great on the surface, but also has this pervasive underlying quality that really sticks with you and just elevates the whole experience to something else.

>> No.2669150

>>2669098
>You've convinced me to finally play Dark Souls OP.
It's an incredibly beautiful game anon. It's a modern masterpiece and probably the best I've played in a decade. I hope you enjoy it.

Yeah I need to read LotR. I started the first book during uni years. Even though I remember enjoying it I was way too busy with all the splendors of uni life so I ended up not finishing it. I'll definitely get back on that, cheers.

>> No.2669162

I'll second OOT, and raise the first-gen Pokémon games and Megaman Legends for magical video game experiences.

>> No.2669180

>>2669091
I remember daydreaming in class about playing OoT. I even remember that sitting on the bus ride home from school would give me hype and even make me feel slightly anxious because I knew it wouldn't be long until I could finally play the game again. I couldn't even talk about it properly to most of my friends since they weren't really into the game. Turning the key of my house's main door was a mini victory in itself. Not one minute later I'd be playing OoT, good days.

>> No.2669226

Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, and Earthbound all give me huge nostalgia rushes. I played them all for the first time at the end of middle school and start of high school (about 5 years ago), right at that coming of age point. They were really the first stories that engaged me and made me feel emotions. Majora's Mask especially so, because of how dark it was.

Mario Party, Mario Kart, and Wall Street Kid make me reminisce about smoking weed and gaming with my friends.

>> No.2669242

>>2669040
Nights into Dreams. The child version of the nights song still makes me cry.

Playing through Sonic CD for the first time. Dat music! Metal sonic!

The first two Suikoden games were also very touching. All of the major plot points were quite moving, perhaps more so than any other game I had played prior.

Beating Chrono Trigger for the first time also made me rather emotional.

Overall, growing up in suburban Texas would've been a fairly empty experience had I not had the above mentioned games, along with some of the other ones mentioned above, in my life.

>> No.2669261

>>2669040
>OoT
You sound so original OP.

>> No.2669263

I was 12 when Ocarina of Time came out and I distinctly remember not being impressed. All it did was convince me that Zelda wouldn't work in 3D like I had suspected.

>> No.2669272

I didn't like Ocarina when I was a kid because the abysmal framerate combined with the weird analog controller to make it a nightmare to play. I've warmed to it, though, and the fantastic graphics and music still charm me to this day, though I still don't find it particularly fun as a game (more than I used to).

>> No.2669274

>>2669263

when you where 12 you didn't given any thought as to what could and couldn't work in 3D.

>> No.2669284

>>2669263
>>2669272
Hello, I'm >>2669242

I really don't mean to derail this thread and turn it into this but, I'm also one of the few people that share this opinion. I was also around 12 when the game came out. While the presentation was great and I was particularly giddy about playing a new zelda, having gotten through Link to the Past and Link's Awakening a year prior, I was rather unimpressed. Overall, I think what I really enjoyed about Zelda was the fact that it was 2D with a bird's eye view. The new 3D environment and mechanics changed the game entirely...I actually stopped playing the game around the Shadow Temple and didn't finish it until much later on in my life.

I overall didn't like the majority of the 3D conversations many series attempted to make in the late 90s (well, Mega Man Legends was alright), and was happy that a select few 2D games still managed to exist during that era.

>> No.2669305 [DELETED] 

>>2669261
I'm sorry dude hopefully one day I can be a special unique snowflake like you.

>> No.2669362

I remember playing Majora's Mask next to the Christmas tree as a kid. To this day I still consider December my "Zelda Month" and play through the game next to a Christmas tree.

Another fond memory I have was getting Sonic Adventure 2 for the Dreamcast and inviting a friend over that was into the Genesis Sonic games. We spent ages trying to find the emerald pieces, but it was all great fun.

>> No.2669428

>>2669098
>You've convinced me to finally play Dark Souls OP.
I have Demon Souls and I played through the tutorial area like 7 years ago and that's it

So I can't justify buying Dark Souls until I finish Demon Souls

So basically I will never play Dark Souls

Oh well

I got OOT at launch and thought it was 8/10ish so I guess I'm dead inside and beyond help anyway, I should probably stop trying to enjoy things

>> No.2669483

Ultima series
bloody game dragged me right into the game, loved it.
Was suckered in with V, loved the crap out of VI.
Wanted my Orb of the Moons to really work so I could go to Britannia for an adventure
>it never did

>> No.2669513

>>2669051
>Few things are as comfy as playing Link's Awakening on Gameboy in the bedside table light before sleeping.
I tried that once, and then I got stuck in a dream I couldn't get out of. I had to collect a bunch of magic instruments and wipe an island's entire population from existence before I could wake up.

>> No.2669520

>>2669272
Couldn't get past the 50Hz of the european version.

>> No.2669524

>>2669513
it's just a video game tbh

>> No.2669536

I have so many experiences with OoT. The first time I fought Ganondorf sticks with me. The anticipation and, more importantly, the atmosphere of finally fighting him. I remember walking up the staircase and hearing the organ getting louder, but what sticks with me most is the bright colour of the room in which you fight him. It's probably a lot darker than I remember, though.

>> No.2669578
File: 121 KB, 680x510, tumblr_static_cc-misc07.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This was definetely the most magical experience of my childhood. Borrowed it from a friend because he told me I HAD to play it. I fell in love in the first 5 minutes. The art style was incredible, the battle system was way different from the RPG's I was used to. The story, the music. It was the first game that ever brought me to tears. Probably the most beautiful game I'd ever played.

This is the only game I take time out to replay once a year, but I never can capture those first playthrough feelings of how epic the scene leading up to and battle with Miguel was, or turning into Lynx, or finally using the Chrono Cross for the first time. This game is pure magic and art for me.

>> No.2669595

All this OoT circlejerking is pretty fucking digusting.

>> No.2669607
File: 29 KB, 320x320, ingamemap.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2669098
I was about to post something like this about Paper Mario. I like you, anon.

If there's a word to describe the world Paper Mario that's magic. The fact that everything looks like an art craft helps, but the world itself is really well built. It feels alive. Stuff like going to Shooting star summit for the first time, reading the underground news, putting the toy train in the toy box, the boos kidnapping a Star spirit, how every flower in flower fields has its own theme, that fucking murder mystery, the star kids disguising themselves as a monster... tons of wonderful stuff like that. Every sequence has a jingle, every character has something to say, and even the sidequests like cooking and letter delivery contribute to this. Plus the Peach sections were all wonderful. The Paper Mario games are the only ones were she's a good character.

I dunno, there's something marvelous about this game that's very difficult to describe. I like it more every time I replay it.

>> No.2669619

OOT was a big deal for me as a kid, my brother and I spent hours just exploring every nook and cranny of Hyrule but never actually beating the game. The 3DS version came out around the time I was leaving home for college and I burned through it all when I got super sick the week before moving. It was a fitting send off to my childhood I think.

>> No.2669641

My most-memorable vidya memory as a kid is when I first saw Super Mario 64.

It was in a Target and they had that kiosk thing with the bubble over the console with SM64 available to play.

When I first saw it, I thought. "I NEED this."

Playing it was great, too.

>> No.2669720

>>2669595
It's OK to like things and share your enjoyment with others.

>> No.2669724

>>2669720

>Defending a circlejerk for an overrated game

This why nobody wants to visit /vr/

>> No.2669728

Guys i really like the fact that up till now we are all enjoying video games without any hate talk.
A game that made me feel part of a big interesting story and kept me entailed for an entire summer was suidoken II, i never finished it at the time because school was starting and i was getting stuck in the dracula's castle.
I finished 6 years later and what a game.

>> No.2669729

Playing Resident Evil for the first time at the age of 11.
It was summer and I'd play it at night with the windows open, so the ingame ambient sounds would mix up with irl outdoor sounds.

It was magical because it was the first time I realized video games could create feels and could be more than just scoring or jumping on or shooting stuff.

>> No.2669748

Playing ff7 and seeing how the cg cutscenes played seamlessly into the action. Getting oitside of midgar, that music and realising that it was just the end of the beginning.

Links awakening on gameboy was just perfect. Amazing that they could get such charm into a little game. Even my sister was hooked and she doesn't even play games.

Strangely I didn't feel anything for ocarina of time when I played it in 2001. It just felt like a constrained sandbox with little of the charm of links awakening. Don't hate me.

Another one is Doom. Everything about that game is solid. Remember sitting on floor and watching dad play. Funny because it's like the only game he has jad any interest in apart from chess.

>> No.2669779

>>2669720
Don't bother replying to the shitters m8. Let them be angry about their small penises in the corner tbh.

>> No.2669798

>>2669641
Man I remember the summer of '98 or something when I was visiting another country where my extended family lived. I had already beaten Mario 64 but I hadn't gotten all the stars. I was about 12 or 13 and my cousin and I played the game every day and we got all 120 of them. Such a great summer and another one of my favourite gaming memories.

I also have a kiosk story for when Star Fox 64 was about to be released. There was a huge line of people waiting to play the game, and it was being managed by the shop keepers so everyone got only a brief moment to play it before having to give it up. I wasn't in line, I just stood next to the thing and watched because I wasn't going to be there long. I remember the look on every single kid's face when they played the game for a few seconds. EVERY kid's mouth kinda dropped open a bit and their eyes bulged out because SF64 looked so fucking good at the time. I also remember people glancing down at the controller every time they got hit because they weren't used to the rumble hah.

>> No.2669923

My magic moment was the music.

I remember I was walking home from school, and I was planning like "yeah, now I'm in the mood for the DK:C's credits music, then maybe a little Castlevania IV Clock Tower music, and have Snakey Chantey as a grand finale, maybe the Ghosts and Ghouls theme".

The music was my revard. It kept me playing on. "Oh, I wonder what kind of music the next level have!"

Maybe it's off topic, but an other thing I remember is seeing N64 for the first time. DK:C was all I had, so when my mother said I might get the second one for my birthday I shat my pants. But I was kinda unaware of the video game world, since I couldn't even read if I recall correctly, and it was middle Europe, and SNES wasn't a big thing here. So she took me to the game store to get it, and there was a TV with Mario64's big Mario head in it. My mom saw my amazement, and asked if I would be rather interested in that (maybe she wasn't aware the fact that it was an entirely different console). And I was like: no fucking way! Let me have my DK:C 2! And oh boy it was one of my best gaming experiences. But before that, just to raise the hype, she let me read the manual before the day, but did not let me actually play the game.

>> No.2669931

>>2669729
Do you seriously EVER shut up about Resident Evil? Why is your name even NESfag when you literally never talk about anything except PS1 survival horror games?

>> No.2669946
File: 17 KB, 663x503, coco_escape_sparta_start.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Playing some BASIC text adventure, in early 80's.
It felt magical.

>> No.2669970
File: 57 KB, 455x610, davidgilmour.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I felt like I was Ness when I went home in Earthbound.

>> No.2670057

I liked ocarina of time as a child, I found it beautiful but also very adult and scary, I thought this was an adult game. I didn't manage to play through the game until later when I was about 17. when I was 12 it was way to hard and scary for me , so I put it in a corner and played pokemon instead.

>> No.2670067

My magical experience with Gaming was playing Final Fantasy X with 14/15. It was so beautiful, the graphics, the cinematics looked so real, the story was so touching. It felt like I was in a movie. I really bonded with the Characters, especially with Yuna and Tidus. I cried a lot at the ending. It's still up to today m favorite, most cinematic and most sad game/game ending I ever played. I never shared the opinion of those Shadow of the Colossus hipsters who sad this was the saddest game ever. I actually didn't like that game. The saddest game ever, Final Fantasy X it will always be. <3

>> No.2670084

>>2669520

>>2669272

The low frame rate allowed me to replay it last year in 3840x2160p in 24Hz mode. It was quite awesome, game never looked better.

>> No.2670115

>>2669085
>the blue cucco on the big goron's head
Was that actually in the game somewhere? Oh, was that an item in the trade sequence?

>> No.2670128

Myst and Riven, especially Riven.

Ocarina of Time and Banjo-Kazooie.

Link's Awakening and Pokemon Yellow/Silver.

>> No.2670135

I played OoT when I was 13 and wasn't really all that excited by it. Played maybe half of it. I didn't actually beat the game until years later when the 3DS port came out. After that I went ahead and got Majora's Mask on the Virtual Console (before the 3DS version existed) and goddamn I felt like I'd been missing out on that game for half my life. MM is still one of my favorites.

>> No.2670423
File: 117 KB, 800x600, screen001.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Besides the basic Legend of Zelda sole or Donkey Kong Country games coop, I'd have to say Astonia.

Astonia was my first online experience, it was just fucking awesome to play with friends, do the guild thing, etc. Then Guild Wars took that to another level.

>> No.2670504
File: 280 KB, 512x448, 43-punchcombo[1].gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Ocarina and Majora's Mask for sure, but my main one would probably be SMRPG.

>> No.2670749

I remember the first time my friend took me to a gaming LAN cafe when I was about 15 to play Counter-Strike. I was visiting him in another country. I grew up in a really small city in the third world where at the time there were no gaming cafes. Over summer I visited him when he had moved and he took me to play Counter-Strike for the very first time. I was blown the fuck away. Everything about it was awesome. The guns sounded great, the sounds of the radio commands were awesome in the headset, the gameplay felt really good and the currency system to buy weaponry was rewarding. One of the things I love most in FPS is satisfying gunplay and Counter-Strike is no slouch when it comes to that. It was so much fucking fun. Every single day we'd go to the gaming cafe and play that game with all the other regulars there (then on the way home we'd always pick up a delicious Subway for good measure). The first time I ever played the game in that cafe was something that stuck with me and I'll never forget it.

Ya know, Counter-Strike gets a lot of shit now on /vr/. People seem to think that the only reason people liked it when it was new was because it was 'casualised'. Fine, compared to Quake 3, I agree that the skill ceiling probably isn't as high but it's really not the point. The reason why I loved CS so much in 2001 was because at the time it was fresh as fuck and the teamplay felt great. I had grown up on Doom and Doom-likes on PC my entire life. Quake 3 just seemed like more of the same of the Doom formula that I had played endlessly for years, and now something new and different came along that had a really good feel of 'realism'. At this point in time of course we're sick of realism and military FPS because it's been rehashed for so long, but when CS was new it was a blast of fresh air and a very enjoyable one at that.

>> No.2670767

>>2670057
It's darker and more adult than post-N64 Zelda games, that's for sure, apart from Twilight Princess. I never played SS or WW but man I hate their art styles. Nintendo have gotten too kiddie now for my taste. In the past their games felt like they were truly made for everyone, like the first LotR movie, but now it feels like they specifically cater much more to children.

>> No.2670784
File: 101 KB, 724x493, 1368496992394.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

That experience happened to me a few times recently. Last year I played Chrono Trigger for the first time and I was blown away by everything. The art, the music, the story, time traveling, the ending. I couldnt stop thinking about that fucking game after I beat it. Its a master piece.

I felt the same way towards FF7, which I played for the first time last year as well. not as strong as Chrono because it is a bitch to navigate and hard to understand at times but it was still a stellar experience.

Lastly I also played Link's Awakening a few years ago as well. The world was very interesting to explore and the ending blew my mind.

Strangely enough it happens to me with retro titles more than modern ones. But it happens to me with Dark Souls as well. I have yet to beat it because it's so damn hard, but when I progress the scenery and lore always takes me away.

>> No.2670827

I played OoT for the first time last year and when Link met Zelda was the most beautiful and emotional scene I've ever seen in a videogame. Zelda smiling for Link made me cry.

Now, this year, the game that I feeling like in a magic place is FF12 (not retro, I know)
I didn't like the story, but I loved the gameplay, the cities, the different creatures and travelling.

>> No.2670853
File: 194 KB, 784x1024, unreal.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Unreal. A game I love so much that I still play through it every so often. Getting it and playing through on my P200 with a 3DFX voodoo 2 was, as OP puts it, a completely magical experience. From the very first moments climbing out of a dark and claustrophobic space ship into a massive open clifftop with waterfall splashing in the distance, the game had me. It was filled with incredibly ambitious design for the time, and levels like the Sky Town, Sunspire and Castle took my breath away. There was interesting lore and tons of little stories and secrets hidden throughout the levels. The music is fantastic. Perhaps the most remarkable thing was how the game captured a sense of "place" with its design, something very few games have ever done. In any case, a remarkable experience and one that will stay with me forever.

>> No.2671221

>>2669040

I always feel a lil' bit sad when i play OoT. Don't know why, though.

>> No.2671265

>>2669274
I was around that age when these games all came out. I'm far more impressed by them now than I was then. Back then, I wanted 3d graphics than looked like DKC, but actually 3d, not just pre-renders. And I hated controlling the games. My experience with controls were d-pad and mouse and keyboard. Analog sticks were weird and new, and I didn't enjoy the 3d movement with them. I'm well used to them now, after decades of analog stick use.

>> No.2671281

>>2670784
Your first paragraph convinced me to start Chrono Trigger tomorrow. I've been putting it off for way too long.

>> No.2671292
File: 31 KB, 800x621, art.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Earthbound?

Earthbound is art

Now I've only played an emulated version, which is a replica designed to copy the game experience albeit to a flawed extent and not the real game

But it's truly art, let me explain why

Every minute of this game is beautifully crafted, it's as if the souls of mankind intertwined and fused with a videogame to create something more than a game

The first true artistic experience

Fuck those lame asses they call artists today, Picasso and that bullshit

Earthbound takes it to a whole new level. Visual, sound, gameplay, and more importantly: mental enlightenment

Never before have I been face to face with a game I've cared so much about, every character in that game is designed from the ground up to be not only relatable, but desirable

I want to BE Ness, I want to BE Mr. Saturn.

And the end? Oh my god the end. Never before has a videogame brought a grown man to tears so easily. I understood it, I understood everything.

I am pursuing a game design degree at DeVry University solely because of Earthbound.

Before it, I had no purpose in life. But now I understand, I understand my true calling and I understand what I need to do with this soul of mine before I pass on to the next realm.

I need to capture the beauty and true essence of Earthbound once more, channeling these mystic energies into my own concoction. It's the only way I'll ever matter and it's the only way videogames can be saved.

Hail Earthbound my friends, for it truly is the representation of a golden age long lost and you have all had the opportunity to experience it.

You have not lived before you play Earthbound, the magical game.

>> No.2671441

>>2669040
>fairy tail

I think you've been reading too much of that manga.

>> No.2671540
File: 110 KB, 598x741, 600full-medievil-artwork.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Played pic related on release when I was 6. Yeah it aged like milk and it was really short and easy but it will always be a very important part of my childhood. It was also pretty funny too and had a fantastic soundtrack.

>> No.2671578

Aside from non-retro games like Dark Souls, Ico and Shadow of the Colossus,
games that did this for me were:

Ocarina of Time
Majoras Mask
Harvest Moon
Mystic Quest
Shadowgate 64
Suikoden 2
Loom
FF8
FF7

>> No.2671981

Gauntlet legends

When my friend first brought that game over to my house, it was an unforgettable experience. Working together, as a wizards collecting runestones. We played that for hours everyday for three days straight until he had to return it back to the video store.

We would rerent that game for three day periods (because we couldn't find it in any local game store) and just play It constantly. I believe it was our first game that we played coop. Having that experience of using different items in many different dungeons was something I can never forget.

>> No.2671986

Runescape

When me and the rest of the boys in my class were 12, all we would do is talk about/play runescape. Come home from school, rush to the Computer, login to runescape and seeing everyone of your friends logging in was awesome. We would do quest together, we would spread rumors about the game, we could talk about if we should become members, we would fight each other. It was just a perfect time. It lasted for about 2 months until people started getting bored of it, but in its prime it was probably the best gaming experience I've ever had.

>> No.2672004

>>2671986
Do you have an actual /vr/ story to share?

>> No.2672054

>>2670749
I'm with you. I was playing it non-stop for one week once. I wouldn't say it's casualised, I rather think it's simply polished, and that's a different thing. Too bad that on the "legacy" CS servers (so on 1.6 and Source) the public servers always seems to play dust2 and nothing else (or if they does noone else is there). But it's good to have some quick rounds sometimes.

>> No.2672498

I had this same experience with the original Super Mario Bros.
Before it, the only videogames I had seen were much more primitive, like Galaga or Frogger.

Super Mario Bros made me feel like I was in a fantasy land, rescuing a princess, and everything made sense in my mind, as in, the game is harder every level because you are invading Bowser's Kingdom and the closer you get to the capital the harder it will be, because he will have more of his army available.

And I would think, a day has passed from world 1 to world 3 because now the background is black, so, it is the night, and another day passes from world 3 to world 6 where we also get black backgrounds.

I got to play Super Mario Bros, Bros 2 (USA), 3 and World within a period of 2 years (from 1990 to 1992), so I really got lucky with that.

>> No.2672691

>>2671281
As long as you arent an impatient brat like the kids on /v/ who cant handle turn based strategy then you will most likely find it to be a masterpiece.

>> No.2672695

>>2671292
I cant tell if your trolling or not.

Earthbound to me is art because it captures the feeling of naivety. Being a child exploring a world full of crazy adults who have lost their minds. Or being a japanese person and imagining that america functions just like it does in movies or magazines (or vise versa with an american watching a japanese film). It does such a good job at that.

>> No.2672754

>>2669362
Ha I do the same thing actually, I always play through a Zelda game during the winter break, either in December or January. Last year was perfect because TWWHD came out, so I played that. Nothing new or worthwhile this year so I may replay twilight or WW again...

>> No.2674983

bump

>> No.2674994

>>2671540
yes, YESS

>> No.2675000
File: 29 KB, 472x360, yes.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2674994

>> No.2675004

>>2672695
This.
And yeah, I'm pretty sure that guy was trolling. It's a shame Earthbound has received such a negative reaction due to its growing popularity (especially in recent years), because it really is one of the most powerful and moving games from the 4th gen.

>> No.2675007

>BurgerTime on the TI-99.

First videogame I played, so it was definitely magical.

>Lakers vs. Celtics on the Genesis.

Blown away by the game's "realism" at the time. Real players. Authentic television style presentation. Pretty amazing.

>Sega CD games, like Sherlock Holmes, Sewer Shark, etc.

"Holy shit! Full motion video in a game! How is this even possible?" Funny now, but as a 12 year old, I was blown away.

>Virtua Racing in the Arcade.

>Mechwarrior 2 on the PC.

>Panzer Dragoon Zwei and Nights on the Saturn.

>Mario 64

>Wipeout XL and Metal Gear Solid on the Playstation

>Virtua Fighter 3. Arcade.

>> No.2675012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlIVShYYWXg

>> No.2675027

>>2675007
>Virtua Fighter 3. Arcade.
This is a big one for me. It was the first time I honestly thought the game looked like real life.

>> No.2675029

>>2675012
That's a good one. At first I thought II was going to be set entirely in Hong Kong, and I was amazed by how big Hong Kong was compared to the original. And then we go to Kowloon, which is even bigger! Blew my mind at the time. Then of course it turned out Kowloon wasn't the end of the game either. I was consistently blown away by that game.

>> No.2675045

>>2670827
I grew up with a PS1 and Ocarina on 3DS was one of those rediscovering the old feeling moments for me too. Like with Spyro 1 it's the primary colours and the lack of talk. You have something to do and doing it is the whole damn game. Those cutscenes are mostly un-voiceacted.

In the Etrian Odyssey series the director wrote about wanting people to imagine their party members interacting, or what was going on when a door opened. In these older games there's space to think.

>> No.2675065

>>2675012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4zsaf2TozM

>> No.2675084
File: 85 KB, 400x300, Digimon+World+-+School[1].gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

My first magical experience was Digimon World.

The opening was the first FMV I'd ever seen in my life, so that pretty promptly blew my mind. I didn't know 'graphics' could be like that. But then when the game started, my eyes must have had animu sparkles.

I never had a game ask for my name before, or ask me questions. I thought that was so cool. But the gameplay is what made it real magic for me. Having my own Digimon, my own kind of friend to take care of and seek adventure with was the best.

And it was one hell of a fucking adventure, because leaving File City unprepared was actually quite dangerous. But you had to work hard in the training area and grow stronger together to help brave new areas. It seemed like every screen was full of wonder and secrets, but that's just my child like impression of it.

More real danger happened when your Digimon dies for the first time (or evolves into Sukamon). It was more motivation to work and bond and see more stuff in the story. It was so special.

The PSP sorta-remake was amazing also. Dunno how I beat it pre-translation patch.

>> No.2675087
File: 642 KB, 500x672, narsheoutskirts.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2669040

The entire opening sequence of FFVI.

>> No.2675089

>>2675087
I was expecting the full thing not just some flashes of lightning.

>> No.2675113
File: 1.10 MB, 4096x4096, ff6gba_worldmap-balance.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2675089

Couldn't find a good enough gif of the first cutscene sadly.

>> No.2675115
File: 147 KB, 1920x1080, kU9TELJ.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2675065
>>2675012
>you will never travel to China and get you ass kicked by a qt martial arts master ;_;

>> No.2675125

Klonoa, age 10. The whole journey was so fucking magical. The graphics, the atmosphere, the music. All worked so well together, it was like I was playing some piece of art.

Needless to say I cried like a little bitch in the end. Not only because of what happened, but also because I had nowhere else to go.

Two years later I got Tombi! and pretty much the same feels from the beginning to the end.

Haven't had such vivid magical moments since. Ever.

>> No.2675320

>>2675115
>>2675065
>>2675012

Man, Shenmue had some sweet-ass music. Gave a magical feeling to the whole game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uc6nBnkkT7Y

>> No.2676041

>>2672498
>And I would think, a day has passed from world 1 to world 3 because now the background is black, so, it is the night, and another day passes from world 3 to world 6 where we also get black backgrounds.

Yes. Mario's journey to save the princess takes three days.

Morning of the First Day - World 1
Afternoon of the First Day - World 2
Night of the First Day - World 3
Morning of the Second Day - World 4
Afternoon of the Second Day - World 5
Night of the Second Day - World 6
Morning of the Final Day - World 7
Afternoon of the Final Day - World 8
Night of the Final Day - Bowser's Castle & Victory

>> No.2676050

>>2669946
>your in the security room
>enemy bot attacking
>shot just hit you

Shoot back. Miss twice and your out.

>> No.2676057

>>2676041

the same happens in Sonic 1 except it takes roughly a day

Green hill zone: morning
Marble zone: noon
Spring yard: afternoon
Labyrinth zone: you can't see the sky
Starlight zone: night
Scrap brain: dawn
green hill zone again when sonic beats Robotnik: day again

>> No.2676069

>>2676041
This is better trivia than "Mario 3 was a play."

>> No.2676071

>>2676041
Pretty cool.

>> No.2676074
File: 15 KB, 640x274, 2393009..jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2676041
>the First Day
>the Second Day
>the Final Day

I see wut u did there

>> No.2676084

>>2676041
In case someone wonders "hey, world 8 is afternoon of the third day, so shouldn't Bowser's castle be too?": in the All-Stars version of SMB1 Bowser's castle interior has windows, and it's dark outside. So yes, by the time Mario reaches Bowser's castle night has fallen.

>> No.2676091

>>2676057

double dragon II takes a day and a half.

stage 1 - evening
stage 2 - night
stage 3 - late night
stage 4 - morning
stage 5 - afternoon
from then on you're indoors, but we can extrapolate
stage 6 - evening
stage 7 - night
stage 8 - late night (when you fight the shadow clone)
stage 9 - morning

>> No.2676572

>>2676041
This was a detail I always really liked.

I really do think Super Mario Bros is a fucking amazing game. There's tons of polish to it. We're pretty accustomed to it but I still remember how strange and creative that world seemed when I first played through the game.

Running across rope bridges with tons of man-sized fish leaping at you, jumping across treetops and massive mushrooms and floating pulley systems, the monochrome look of the night stages, the idea of a world with floating bricks as far as the eye can see. The first Super Mario Bros really was a step into another world when it first came out.

>> No.2676656

Spyro. To be fair only the first game got the atmosphere and level design and character design right.

>> No.2676674

>>2676572
yeah it was. Nothing like being 5 and playing that fucking game on a saturday morning with nothing to do all day. magic.

>> No.2676713

I grew up with my older brother's Genesis, atari 2600, NES, SNES, and 90's PC games. It is a strange feeling to always have had and played these games since birth to the point where i don't remember the "first" time i played many. Just a state of "having always played" (anyone else have similar situation?)

I and grew up with these games. Starting where before i could even read i was playing, making the adventure and plot that much more confusing not fully understanding what the game is. At that time i mainly stuck with simple games (platformers, move and jump)

We always had the games around ready to play, I lived in the country and never really had many friends so i spent a lot of time alone and these games kept me company. I do recall a point where I was old enough to read and better understand the games, every year or so being able to go back to a game and get a little farther. These were part of the magical experience of all the games i played. The stories that unfolded before me as i matured, almost as if they matured and grew up with me. Being that lack of friends i didn't have.

One game in specific was Legend of Zelda A Link To The Past. When i was finally old enough to master the now simple obstacles of the Light World and obtain the Master Sword, i thought the game was coming to a conclusion after years of my life knowing and playing it only to find that it was just the beginning. Tons of new dungeons and enemies awaited me in the dark world. It blew my mind.

All my retro games to some extent have had a magical effect similar to ALTTP. They truly are a part of my life and who I am, just like some of my real friends have been.

>> No.2676724
File: 258 KB, 1600x780, Spyro HD Remake.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Spyro - the first game was perfect in terms of level design and atmosphere. The character and enemy designs were ridiculous without being too cartoonishly goofy. And the muisc, oh lordy that music is heaven incarnate.

FF7 - going on that epic bombing mission for the first time, escaping Midgar and listening to that wonderful music for the first time, what I wouldn't give to experience all that again, no other FF has given me the same feeling, and I honestly doubt the remake will either especially with Tetsuya "belts, zippers and emo ladyboys up in this bitch" Nomura at the helm like he was in that superficial DBZ wankfest known as Advent Children.

>> No.2676962
File: 47 KB, 256x351, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Super Mario Bros. 3 this is the game I could play over and over and never get sick of. Every time I pop this game in I go zipping back to my childhood. I can breeze through it now without effort, sure, but nothing a 6 pack handicap can't fix.

>> No.2676970

>>2669040
Mario RPG- First game that got me into the RPG genre. Never knew what a RPG was before this game.

Metal gear solid- So, Playing RPG was about character development for me. I never really paid attention to the story. MGS made me realize the story telling potential that games had, and made me look at my game playing experience in a different light.

simcity- Made me realize that my first love is to create something, and watch it flourish.

>> No.2677449

>>2676724
>FF7 - going on that epic bombing mission for the first time, escaping Midgar and listening to that wonderful music for the first time

THIS. Holy shit. The entire opening to that game until you get to the world map is pure magic, especially the first time.

>> No.2677575
File: 150 KB, 575x523, 1433547037810.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2669047
Chrono Trigger/Earthbound when I was 7/8

FF7 when I was 10

Shenmue II when I was 12/13

Paradox strtegy games when I was in my late teens/early twenties.

Now I don't have much time for video games. I'm working on my own business, but I like to revisit the classics on the weekends.

>tfw never got into Zelda games

>> No.2677592
File: 70 KB, 500x375, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This was my first game that I would stay up all night to play I was maybe 11

>> No.2677643
File: 81 KB, 667x391, sidekick.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I was 11 when I heard about Baldur's Gate from a PC shop technician who waited at my bus stop. I can still remember my skepticism transforming into amazement as the first minutes of playing passed. After my homeworks I'd sit in the basement with a glass of chocolate milk and a candle to play this game. Good times, life was so simple back then.

>> No.2677710

>>2669040
I played Grandia on a demo disc first, got it a few months later for Christmas. Actually getting up to where you were on the demo disc, you see the Misty Forest and the End of the World at the other end, that was great. I used to think "Alent" was a character Justin was talking about and not a place we were trying to go.

The whole game is pretty darn good but for some reason I didn't care so much about actually scaling and seeing over The End of the World, I was more impressed by seeing the Misty Forest from the Rangle Mountains

>> No.2677716

>>2677575
>tfw never got into Zelda games

Then why don't you? It's not like it'a a hard series to get into.

>> No.2677828

>>2677449
I hate how they replaced it in the third disc.

>> No.2678320
File: 549 KB, 1280x1024, SoM.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2669040
It was Secret of Mana for me. Played that at the age of 14, because a friend recommended it. I was an avid gamer, and already had played games since I was 6 (MSX, MegaDrive, SNES) but had never played a (j)RPG before. (Which isn't a strange thing considering nobody knew, played them in the early '90s)
I was just blown away. That incredible music, you actually getting more and more powerful as the story progressed! Getting to Undine and being able to use magic?! It all felt like a new invention of the wheel.
Later, I too had similar experiences with Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 7, OoT, Ico and Shadow of the Colossus, but never was I as immersed in a game as I was with Secret of Mana.

>> No.2678327

>>2678320
Is Sword of Mana worth playing? I've been considering it for quite a while now.

>> No.2678342

>>2678327
I couldn't tell you, never played it...

>> No.2678360

>>2678320
secret of mana isn't even a jrpg it's an action rpg

>> No.2678367
File: 247 KB, 1000x750, Really.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2678360

>> No.2678404

sonic 3 as a present for the summer months, first reading about it in a magazine. Then seeing gameplay on a tv show. Then buying it with mom at the store and playing it in your own room on the old tv from aunt whatshername because she has a new one. Being nine and starting the adventure. exploring the jungle of the first level, finding a hidden entrance/shortcut to a big ring. Pure joy.

Switching to a N64 a few years later I had the experience with Oot, even getting it for my birthday when it came out, such a lucky person i was. And before that with reaching the top op the mountain on mario 64 in the first level (never experienced 3d before)

>> No.2678460

>>2678360
But it's still a Japanese role playing game, no?

>> No.2678461
File: 72 KB, 353x439, stop_.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2678360
Anon, don't start this shit.

>> No.2678486
File: 136 KB, 900x657, Banjo-Tooie_(Front_EUR-PAL).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2669040
My friend would come over and watch me play pic related in my basement. He would help me out with puzzles and we would hum along to the music and sip soda pop. Then the next day at school we would talk to each other about it.

>> No.2678509

>>2678360
Uh, yea, "japanese" and "action" are clearly irreconcilable.

>> No.2678513

>>2678327
It's passable on its own. If you like the other Mana games, you might be somewhat disappointed. If you played the origina GameBoy game and expect the glorious remake of it Sword of Mana was made out to be, you might be heavily disappointed.

>> No.2678517

>>2678509
jrpgs are turn based dragon quest style games, western rpgs are ultima wizardry style. Calling any roleplaying game from japan a jrpg is some stupid new meme that only started happening in the last few years. jrpg is a genre and can come from any country as there are plenty of western style rpgs that come from japan as well.

>> No.2678538

>>2678517
JapaneseRolePlayingGame. JRPG
What you mean is the JTBDQSGRPG JapaneseTurnBasedDragonQuestStyleRolePlayingGame subcategory. So naturally, Secret of Mana is a JRPG. Unless of course your playing the English translation, which complicates things.

>> No.2678541

>>2678538
This stupid meme only happened because when you google jrpg it gives you the definition for pen and paper games and most of the shitters are too stupid to realize that

>> No.2678559

>>2678541
Hehe,are you really so dense to not realize it's not a meme? Probably not, but here's your reply anyway.
"Genres simply don't have boundaries or 'set rules' to obey. Why do you care what others use to define genres with. If you were to describe Secret of Mana as an action jrpg I think it makes it perfectly clear what kind of game it is to someone that never played it. And that's the only thing it needs to do. Contain your autism, nobody cares how you think genres should be bordered off. There's no standard."
-Nietsche 1895

>> No.2678751

>>2670115
That was in the Big Goron's Sword side quest to give to the guy in the forest before he becomes a monster

>> No.2681285

>>2671292
I can agree with you but I stopped taking you seriously when you diminished famous artists. I'm not even that into art, but c'mon anon, hyperbole to drive your point forward only goes so far.

>> No.2681301

>>2677449
This
a moment that will always resonate with me is when you're just about to leave Midgar and you hear this song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0-Be9ArZYc&index=23&list=PLBC6E9C0EC45A8D09

I don't know why but it makes me so nostalgic and I always remember this song the most, and then you go out to the world map. As FF7 was my first RPG it was so mindblowing that there was so much to see, and I guess the song just screams, "We just did a lot of stuff and a lot just happened, but we've got a long road ahead."

>> No.2681321

>>2671292
I honestly can't tell if this is pasta or not,

You aren't wrong, but it's like you purposely are screaming praises about a good game, but the problem is that it's only good, not this amazing piece of art that god bestowed upon us in the form of Shigesato Itoi.

Sure it was quirky and fun, but to me it dragged on far too long and it was an extremely basic rpg mechanic wise, on a console that had plenty of other rpgs that were mechanically superior.

It was a fun play, but I honestly don't see myself playing it again because it seems like on of those "one shot" experiences, there really isn't anything it brings to the table for subsequent playthroughs and you see pretty much everything the game has to offer after one go through.

I like the game, I would just play some other games before basing your entire life's purpose on emulating just one, making games is about bringing your own ideas to life, not re-imagining some one else's

>> No.2681347
File: 464 KB, 1440x900, soul-reaver.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

FF4, FF6, Mega Man 2, and pic related.

I think I can still recite half of the dialogue from pic related.

>> No.2681447

born in 81

LTTP (11 years old)
FF4 (11)
Secret of Mana (12)
FF6 (13)
Super Metroid (13)
Chrono Trigger (14)

all of those games were magical to me. i played a ton of snes games, and loved many, but these stand out the most.

i played OOT when i was 18 and didn't enjoy it. didn't even finish it.

>> No.2682091

>>2678360
Literally the most autistic post I've ever seen on /vr/.
That's saying a lot y'know.

>> No.2682106

>>2682091
Seeing people abuse the term jrpg by labelling everything out of japan that may have a slight hint at rpg elements a jrpg is extremely triggering

>> No.2682108

>>2682106
you must throw a fit when people order french fries too

>> No.2682115

>>2682108
are you literally retarded? jrpg was a genre started by dragon quest, calling turn based dragon quest style games jrpgs would be correct. Ordering sliced up and fried potatoes and calling them french fries would be correct because that is their name just like jrpg is the name of a genre. You faggots are the ones getting too autistic about japan being a location and jrpgs being games from japan. There have been plenty of jrpgs made in the west.

Also if you fucking faggots want to get super autistic about it secret of mana was actually completed in the states because Nasirs work visa expired in japan.

>> No.2682116

>>2682115
>secret of mana was actually completed in the states because Nasirs work visa expired in japan.
That's pretty cool, actually.

>> No.2682127

>>2682116
While we're at it, the same thing happened with FF3.

FF9 and FF11 were also developed in the States, but in Hawaii so maybe it only half counts.

>> No.2682130

>>2682116
>>2682116
yeah it sucks secret of mana was his last game the guy is a genius. I think John Romero was saying he (Nasir) used to remember the lines of code for his games because he didn't have anything to store them on when he first started developing.

>> No.2682137

>>2678513
It'll be my first Mana game so that's okay then.

>> No.2682210

>>2682115
Butthurt weeaboo detected.

>> No.2682819
File: 32 KB, 686x294, 1440610404210.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2669242
>growing up in suburban texas
IKTFB

>> No.2683606

ff9, ff7, ff6, paper mario ttyd, chrono trigger, silent hill, resident evil 2, and most recently ni no kuni

>> No.2683696

>>2682819

I'm from suburban new jersey, but I think it's the same deal anywhere. bored kids/teens in the suburbs were the foundation of gaming. it's like, you're a kid living at home, you go to school, otherwise there's not alot to do. so if you were me, you spent your time on nintendo and computer games like fallout/doom/glider.

>> No.2683717

>>2669162
I definitely agree on Gen 1 Pokemon. As sad as it may sound, I don't think I've ever enjoyed something in my life quite like the time around when the games and cartoon and cards came to the US.

>> No.2684135

>>2678327
Yes anon definitely!

>> No.2684136

>>2669040
no need to explain.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tQ_EB5sTSM

>> No.2684146

>>2683606
Agree with all of those except Ni No Kuni. God that game was so fucking boring.

>> No.2684925

>>2670767
I think OoT is much darker than TP.

I say that having only completed TP last week.

>> No.2684937

>>2684925
>I think OoT is much darker than TP.
It's more consistent, and much better paced as well.

>> No.2684946

>>2671221
Probably because it's a fucking miserable game.

The land is consumed by evil, bro. And when Link finally fixes it he has to leave forever.

It's nearly as bad as MM.

>> No.2684952

>>2684937
I can't really judge the pacing on TP, since I played it in dribs and drabs over about a month or so. Also the dungeons were so linear and quick that I barely remember them.

>> No.2684965

>>2671221
Me too, I think it's the music (gerudo valley especially), it reminds me of a simpler time.

>> No.2685574

Old:
Playing through Lunar: silver star story, and kinda falling in love with the girls, especially mia. They were really cute and had a ton of personality. Then later finding out that you could unlock half-naked sexy pics of all of them. The bromides in lunar were the single greatest development in RPGs and it's a devastating tragedy that they didn't continue.

New:
The titan hard/extreme fight in FFXIV: a realm reborn. It is the single greatest MMO fight in history. Everything comes together to create one hell of an experience, especially the music (5 songs play during it, each one getting more intense as the fight gets more intense). It's so good that I still go back and fight him even now that his fight is completely obsolete.

>> No.2685728

>>2669040
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYzDtoYx4vU