[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 16 KB, 381x334, 16le9w9.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2667125 No.2667125 [Reply] [Original]

Remember when discs were the best way to get demos, or now a days when demos were a thing?

What was your preferred disc? PlayStation Underground, PC Gamer, or something different like the pic and video?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJyl6MnocUs

>> No.2667364

Who /dominator/ here? Had handful of those Dominator CD's that had pretty much all freeware, shareware, and demo games imaginable. They were printed somewhere in early and mid 90s I believe.
Feels like all the discs had the same damn games on them no matter what publisher released them. Crystal Caves, Secret Agent, Doom etc. they were all on those discs.

>> No.2667373

>>2667125
Aw yeah. I had that space station demo disc thing. It was some pretty fancy shit.
Honestly at the time I thought that operating systems interfaces were going to be like that thing in the future: 3D visual representations of filesystems that you could navigate through in first person.
Holy fuck how disappointing we ended up with touchscreen and automation poofterism.

>> No.2667594

I still have the March 1997 PC Gamer disc on hand, I recall playing some racing game where you controlled what looked like giant neon colored hamster wheels instead of chars and one TBS game that replaced the military style setting with a magical theme (the units things like witches, houses that had ostrich legs for some reason, etc.)

I'm trying to remember where it came from but I recall another demo disc we had shortly before then where instead of choosing the games from a menu you wandered around in a giant 3D space station and you started a game by navigating to the room that contained it and entering the wall poster sort of like the paintings in Mario 64

>> No.2668249

>>2667373
Realistically though, how would a 3D visual representation be more useful than the standard file explorer model we've been using forever (before the touch screen bullshit)?

>> No.2668253
File: 347 KB, 1280x960, pizzahutsamplerfrontgb4.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.2669192

Official Playstation magazine demos were awesome, it's a shame I've lost almost all of them over the years.

>> No.2669193

>>2669192
I had almost all of them, unfortunely I had no room for the motherfuckers in my CD book so I just let them all get scratched up, eventually tossed them

>> No.2669201

Had a Medi-Evil demo disc. Tried to always get further and further and played the shit out of it.

>> No.2669251

used to play twisen oddisey 2 from a spanish magazine with demos PCMedia :)

>> No.2669443

>>2668249
Of course thinking about it now I realise it is a really daft idea but the thought mezmorised my young mind in '95.

Realistically tabbed commander-style file management cannot be beaten.

>> No.2669468

As a kid with an N64, the only thing I envied PSX owners was getting demo discs. Ended up buying a few major stinkers thanks to no demos available and (probably paid) reviewers lying like the weasel fucks they are in magazines. I just loved trying out different games in general, so with my limited savings demos would've been very nice to have.

>> No.2669479

>>2669201
I remember it. You had 15 minutes to get as far as you could get.

A personal favorite of mine is the Pizza Hut demo that had Tomb Raider 3 on it. I played the hell out of it. The level it had (Area 51) was slightly different than what went into the finished final game.

>> No.2669486

Some UK magazine for Saturn gave the full disc 1 of Panzer Dragoon Saga as a demo. I was like level 50+ when I finished with it.